Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Westminster attacks: It’ll be some time before we get the

Comments

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

I thought I'd missed it. Clearly not.

Paul Joseph Watson

Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, a city attacked over 5 hours ago, has not appeared once on camera to reassure the public. Where is he?

I thought he had released some sort of statement?
    He did - hours ago.
    Linky?
    On the Mayor of London twitter feed he released a statement 3 hours ago
    he hasnt really got the grasp of this media stuff

why isnt he on the telly
    I prefer hearing from the police what's going on basically - as we've seen media can be trying to scoop and politicians can't win re grandstanding / hiding coin.
    maybe, but part of his job is to be the focal point of London in times of crisis

he's taking a back seat
    early days surely.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, a city attacked over 5 hours ago, has not appeared once on camera to reassure the public. Where is he?

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly
    We all remember Livingstone's magnificent response to 7/7. Khan hasn't met that standard, for sure..
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Anyway, I'm off. Let's hope the death toll doesn't rise. Stay safe, Londoners.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Channel 4 pull their +1 hour coverage ....

Someone must read PB .... :smile:

Mike's the man who moves markets and Mr Jack is the man who moves the media! :smiley:
    The only thing Jack moves with alacrity these days are bowel movements after certain medication !!
    Sounds like your ARSE is back in business.... ;)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

A bit of levity.

Current score in the football is Scotland 0 - Canada 1

be fair canada are down to nine men
    oh LOOOOOOOL
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly
    I've had Sky on since PMQs - no mention at all
    I thought you normally watched Fox News.
    The truth is a malleable product.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

calum said:

Sky (Kay) reporting police have identified the attacker

I hope the Police were not watching C4 News.
    Tea all over keyboard
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Mike's the man who moves markets and Mr Jack is the man who moves the media! :smiley:
    The only thing Jack moves with alacrity these days are bowel movements after certain medication !!
    In well earned retirement .... :smile:
  • Options
    I have never had occasion to look at the Channel 4 news website before, but I see that it doesn't mention the Westminster event at all. Their main story is about Martin McGuinness...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly
    I prefer hearing from the police what's going on basically - as we've seen media can be trying to scoop and politicians can't win re grandstanding / hiding coin.
    maybe, but part of his job is to be the focal point of London in times of crisis

he's taking a back seat

Maybe he is coordinating stuff. Livingstone was in Singapore in 2005. Khan is in the middle of it.
    https://twitter.com/mayoroflondon/status/844631399713947648
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly
    We all remember Livingstone's magnificent response to 7/7. Khan hasn't met that standard, for sure..
    I think we have to judge Livingstone's reaction in the light of his more recent comments. Any good he may have done was completely undone by what he said in 2015 (and on other occasions)
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Omnium said:

Tim_B said:

Utterly off-topic aside: just discovered that Graves nicked the 'drills were bloodless battles and battles were bloody drills' line (spoken in I, Claudius by Drusus to Tiberius, describing how the army saw the latter as a commander) from Josephus.

It has been years since I read "I, Clavdivs". Heavy going though, Mills & Boon it was not :)
    Vol 2 - Claudius the God - is even tougher. I bought the books when the BBC series came out - still not read them both cover to cover in spite of several attempts.
    They're wonderful books. I do think that they're best read with a certain experience of life under your belt though. I'm not sure I'd have liked them if I had read them 10 years prior. I plan to read War and Peace again for roughly those sorts of reasons - I found it hard the first time.
    I have never read "War and Peace" and I have no urge to do so, but I do know of a tale told by Isaac Asimov about it. He (Asimov) was at a dinner next to a guest he did not know and who was working hard at conversation with Asimov (one of IA's self-admitted weak points):

Guest: How do you think technology will affect the novel? Would War & Peace have been better if Dostoyevsky had had a word processor?

IA: No. It would have been exactly the same.

Guest: How can you be so sure of that?

IA: Because War & Peace was written by Tolstoy.

End of conversation.....

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Tim_B said:

Utterly off-topic aside: just discovered that Graves nicked the 'drills were bloodless battles and battles were bloody drills' line (spoken in I, Claudius by Drusus to Tiberius, describing how the army saw the latter as a commander) from Josephus.

It has been years since I read "I, Clavdivs". Heavy going though, Mills & Boon it was not :)
    Vol 2 - Claudius the God - is even tougher. I bought the books when the BBC series came out - still not read them both cover to cover in spite of several attempts.
    I read them both. I think once in a lifetime was enough :)

I did enjoy them though
    amazon has them both for $1.99 each. But then the Kindle deal of the day the other day was The Ice Twins for $1.99 also.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly

he's taking a back seat
    Calm yourself man.

There's suggestions he was busy coordinating the response in London.

Who knew you'd prefer a more PR savvy politician than a politician with substance.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited March 2017

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly

he's taking a back seat

Maybe he is coordinating stuff. Livingstone was in Singapore in 2005. Khan is in the middle of it.
    he's the invisible man

Rudolf Giuliani led from the fron in 9/11 even Boris got out early when responding to attacks in Paris

• Options

Omnium said:

Tim_B said:

They're wonderful books. I do think that they're best read with a certain experience of life under your belt though. I'm not sure I'd have liked them if I had read them 10 years prior. I plan to read War and Peace again for roughly those sorts of reasons - I found it hard the first time.
    I have never read "War and Peace" and I have no urge to do so, but I do know of a tale told by Isaac Asimov about it. He (Asimov) was at a dinner next to a guest he did not know and who was working hard at conversation with Asimov (one of IA's self-admitted weak points):

Guest: How do you think technology will affect the novel? Would War & Peace have been better if Dostoyevsky had had a word processor?

End of conversation.....

I only got through War and Peace by taking it as my only book on a tour of Sri Lanka. Even then I skimmed a lot of War in order to get to the Peace stuff which was much more to my taste!
  • Options

Anyway, I'm off. Let's hope the death toll doesn't rise. Stay safe, Londoners.

2 Romanians in hospital and 2 french school children critical
  • Options
    Dirty Dier, like Dele Alli why are Spurs such dirty players?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

Manager must encourage it - they've been a dirty team for years, it has to be intentional.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly

he's taking a back seat
    Calm yourself man.

There's suggestions he was busy coordinating the response in London.

Who knew you'd prefer a more PR savvy politician than a politician with substance.
    so the cant piss and chew gum at the same time argument
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited March 2017

Weigl could've broke Dier's leg there, what game are you watching?

Lallana 16/1 backers denied by the beans on toast
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly

he's taking a back seat

he's the invisible man

Rudolf Giuliani led from the fron in 9/11 even Boris got out early when responding to attacks in Paris

I can see him.

• Options

Omnium said:

Tim_B said:

End of conversation.....

I read the Constance Garnett translation of War and Peace many years ago and enjoyed it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Manager must encourage it - they've been a dirty team for years, it has to be intentional.
    He wasn't really, I was just winding up Scrapheap.

Dier was the victim of the bad challenge, the German player pretended to be hurt to cover up his nefariousness
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Assuming this is an attack by misguided Islamic radicals, how can I as an individual legitimately try to put pressure on the followers of that faith to try to fix their community?

I strongly disapprove of their thinking, but then I do equally disapprove of the thinking of all religions.

I will think a little less of any Muslim I meet after each of these incidents. They're still generally fine people, but a little less fine.

I want to press against this radicalism, and press hard. I don't want to tarnish the good name, or be alienated from the vast majority of Muslims though.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    Iain Duncan Smith saying the police officer killed was female.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly

he's taking a back seat

he's the invisible man

I can see him.

only because youve gone looking for him
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    In other news Channel 4 headlines reporting that :

Scotland lead Canada 4:0 after two minutes
    DeGaulle leads in new poll by Cherchez les Femme Research
    President Trump giving up twitter for Lent
    Sean Thomas to head the Ben Okri fan club

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

Yes he has. https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/844633197191335936
    More fake news being pushed by its Queen...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Dier was the victim of the bad challenge, the German player pretended to be hurt to cover up his nefariousness
    I'm not watching this game, but Spurs are a dirty team, several of the players are frequently so. That has to be a tactic.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715

Omnium said:

Tim_B said:

End of conversation.....

I only got through War and Peace by taking it as my only book on a tour of Sri Lanka. Even then I skimmed a lot of War in order to get to the Peace stuff which was much more to my taste!
    I bought a copy of W&P a couple of weeks ago - £2 for a recent(ish) hardback in the local Oxfam bookshop. I'm not sure if it is the ideal reading material while commuting - I might need a bigger rucksack.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I read the Constance Garnett translation of War and Peace many years ago and enjoyed it.

My lack of Russian is a major handicap to reading it. I intend for it to stay that way :):)

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options

Tim_B said:

My lack of Russian is a major handicap to reading it. I intend for it to stay that way :):)

You should blame the man who invented the Russian alphabet - Cyril Ick :smile:
  • Options

Omnium said:

Tim_B said:

End of conversation.....

It's hard to read it and not think that there is something there though. Anna Karenina too. I think I read the Cossacks too, but that didn't leave an impression.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,449
    Bloody hell! My first full day back at work (in Coventry) for seven weeks and this happens.

Condolences to victims/injured and their families.

Could easily have been me and my mum, we were walking on Westminster Bridge only on Sunday :(
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

I read them both. I think once in a lifetime was enough :)

I did enjoy them though
    amazon has them both for $1.99 each. But then the Kindle deal of the day the other day was The Ice Twins for $1.99 also.
    Robert Graves or SeanT? Well, I already have both Claudius's (Claudii?) on my bookshelf whereas I do not have any of Sean's stuff. I shall chose to remain pure and unsullied by Mr T's professional prose as I read enough of his unprofessional stuff in here ;)
  • Options
    I'm not biting...

unlike certain footballers loosely associated with a team from somewhere up there.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Wow, Channel 4 News backtracking

Huge fuck up.

They couldn't have libeled a nicer bloke, could they? :D
    Hard for him to claim for any damage to his reputation. It has probably increased his 'value'

It would be horrendous to see the libel laws being used to force media outlets to pay damages that would arguably be used to fund terrorism...
    That's the point - there has been no damage to his reputation so there would be no monetary amount.

I can say Gary glitter interfered with a.n.other and even if it's not true it hasn't damaged his reputation so he can't sue me for libel.

The individual in question doesn't have convictions for violence - so he could claim that calling him a murderer is damage.
    Yes, I think he will sue and he will win.
    I disagree, he'd need to find somebody to fund his folly which is doubtful given his arguement would be "all muslims need to rise up and kill cops, I've said that many times, I've tried to get to Iraq to kill infidels but never wanted to personally kill the police in this country"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm not watching this game, but Spurs are a dirty team, several of the players are frequently so. That has to be a tactic.
    so which teams are 'clean' then on your score-card?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

With Dele Alli I think it is impetuousness of youth.

I remember when Steven Gerrard was young he committed the worst challenge I had ever seen, on Kevin Campbell, when as one Liverpool fanzine put it, 'Kevin Campbell spent the rest of his life looking for someone with a bollock donor card'
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I remember when Steven Gerrard was young he committed the worst challenge I had ever seen, on Kevin Campbell, when as one Liverpool fanzine put it, 'Kevin Campbell spent the rest of his life looking for someone with a bollock donor card'
    May I associate myself with your comment.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

All teams foul, none are entirely clean, but spurs have several players who are egregious even for footballers, there's no need to take it personally. I don't support a rival team or anything so I have no reason to have a go at them, but from the football I've watched they do appear particularly bad at that portion of the game.
  • Options

I'm not biting...

unlike certain footballers loosely associated with a team from somewhere up there.

Just think Spurs turned down the chance to sign Luis Suarez because they didn't think he was any good.

Chortle.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Ann Hidalgo mayor of Paris organises act of solidarity with London

Eiffel Tower blackout tonight

Par ailleurs, dans un communiqué publié un peu plus tôt, Mme Hidalgo a adressé sa "solidarité" à son homologue londonien, Sadiq Khan, en soulignant que "Paris et Londres ont des liens étroits d'amitié, qui n'ont eu de cesse de se renforcer au fil des dernières décennies".
    Les deux capitales européennes "partagent un même amour de la liberté et un même attachement à la démocratie" et "ce sont deux villes tolérantes et cosmopolites, ouvertes sur le monde, qui puisent leur force dans leur diversité", a-t-elle souligné.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited March 2017

Cyan said:

rcs1000 said:

Generals != Primaries

This isn't a general election.

The first round in the French presidential whittles the candidates down to two in an open vote. It does for the whole spectrum what the party primaries did for parts of it.
    To an extent, but if you think that Macron's odds are too short (as you imply), you have to offer a credible scenario by which he loses, commensurate with the odds you think would be fair. Where and why are the votes going to go somewhere else?
    If Fillon gets walloped by scandal - so far he has been fairly resilient but his troubles are mounting - then some of his poll score could go to Dupont-Aignan, who would then be a phenomenon and who is already almost on the brink of becoming such. (Le Figaro.)

If Macron then screws up or is outplayed in one or both of the TV debates, he might not get into the second round. Le Pen tried to own the first debate using a Netanyahu-style graph stunt which wasn't too successful, but that doesn't mean it won't be next time. We might get a bunch-up for almost equal-second place. If Macron does make it to the second round I wouldn't fancy his chances in the interround debate: he might rise to the occasion, but he could also be even more nervous than he was last time and crash out.

I have started to read Dupont-Aignan's book about his first 100 days as president (!). His brand image is very much as "Mr Clean".

And whereas the fact the Le Pen is a woman and the other leading candidates are men hasn't been relevant for most people, I am not sure that it isn't much more relevant when viewed from Moscow.

Fair odds for Macron? 2.2 maybe?

PS Note to Le Pen: use bigger type, thicker lines, and a bigger piece of card.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Omnium said:

It's hard to read it and not think that there is something there though. Anna Karenina too. I think I read the Cossacks too, but that didn't leave an impression.
    I did watch the BBC adaptation in the late 70s although I was probably too young to appreciate it (I was still at secondary school). I decided to skip the book on the strength of it.

There was another BBC adaptation of a Russian novel around the same time - the KGB moles in the BBC were obviously trying to subvert the lumpen proletariat of the UK - but I cannot recall the title. I enjoyed that one. Something about a (disgraced?) Colonel or Captain having to do something underhand and then going on the run. Onegin? I forget which is pity because the actor was a bit of a dish :)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Par ailleurs, dans un communiqué publié un peu plus tôt, Mme Hidalgo a adressé sa "solidarité" à son homologue londonien, Sadiq Khan, en soulignant que "Paris et Londres ont des liens étroits d'amitié, qui n'ont eu de cesse de se renforcer au fil des dernières décennies".
    Les deux capitales européennes "partagent un même amour de la liberté et un même attachement à la démocratie" et "ce sont deux villes tolérantes et cosmopolites, ouvertes sur le monde, qui puisent leur force dans leur diversité", a-t-elle souligné.

Moreover, in a statement published earlier, Mrs. Hidalgo addressed her "solidarity" to her London counterpart, Sadiq Khan, pointing out that "Paris and London have close ties of friendship, To strengthen over the last few decades ".
    The two European capitals "share the same love of freedom and a single attachment to democracy" and "these are two tolerant and cosmopolitan cities open to the world that draw their strength from their diversity", she stressed .

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    How very inconvenient for Trump haters - video of Nunes statement

The Fifth Estate
    Information WAS Collected

Trump Surveillance not related to Russia probe.

#wiretap #ObamaGate
    https://t.co/WPh5W4JBp6
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Omnium said:

Tim_B said:

End of conversation.....

I bought a copy of W&P a couple of weeks ago - £2 for a recent(ish) hardback in the local Oxfam bookshop. I'm not sure if it is the ideal reading material while commuting - I might need a bigger rucksack.
    read it from cover from cover. It's beautifully written. Story so so
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Michael Green giving his account of the incident on Sky News.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited March 2017

I'm not biting...

Just think Spurs turned down the chance to sign Luis Suarez because they didn't think he was any good.

Chortle.
    He did not have sharp teeth.
  • Options

Omnium said:

I did watch the BBC adaptation in the late 70s although I was probably too young to appreciate it (I was still at secondary school). I decided to skip the book on the strength of it.

There was another BBC adaptation of a Russian novel around the same time - the KGB moles in the BBC were obviously trying to subvert the lumpen proletariat of the UK - but I cannot recall the title. I enjoyed that one. Something about a (disgraced?) Colonel or Captain having to do something underhand and then going on the run. Onegin? I forget which is pity because the actor was a bit of a dish :)
    There's nothing wrong with developing an interest in TV programmes in that way. I recall I was quite fixated by Dallas - I seem to recall that Victoria Principal held my attention, but I've no idea what the two prominent features of her performance that did so might have been.
  • Options

Moreover, in a statement published earlier, Mrs. Hidalgo addressed her "solidarity" to her London counterpart, Sadiq Khan, pointing out that "Paris and London have close ties of friendship, To strengthen over the last few decades ".
    The two European capitals "share the same love of freedom and a single attachment to democracy" and "these are two tolerant and cosmopolitan cities open to the world that draw their strength from their diversity", she stressed .

Eiffel Schmeiffel - what about the lights on Blackpool Tower?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

A female friend of mine was very impressed by Kevin Campbell's performance one night. It wasn't football related iirc
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    haha another post deleted.. this is just like old times!

• Options
    Dixie said:

Omnium said:

Tim_B said:

End of conversation.....

read it from cover from cover. It's beautifully written. Story so so
    The opera is quite hard going. Heard it once, not sure if it has been performed recently.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Cyan said:

Cyan said:

rcs1000 said:

Generals != Primaries

This isn't a general election.

The first round in the French presidential whittles the candidates down to two in an open vote. It does for the whole spectrum what the party primaries did for parts of it.
    To an extent, but if you think that Macron's odds are too short (as you imply), you have to offer a credible scenario by which he loses, commensurate with the odds you think would be fair. Where and why are the votes going to go somewhere else?
    If Fillon gets walloped by scandal - so far he has been fairly resilient but his troubles are mounting - then some of his poll score could go to Dupont-Aignan, who would then be a phenomenon and who is already almost on the brink of becoming such. (Le Figaro.)

If Macron then screws up or is outplayed in one or both of the TV debates, he might not get into the second round. Le Pen tried to own the first debate using a Netanyahu-style graph stunt which wasn't too successful, but that doesn't mean it won't be next time. We might get a bunch-up for almost equal-second place. If Macron does make it to the second round I wouldn't fancy his chances in the interround debate: he might rise to the occasion, but he could also be even more nervous than he was last time and crash out.

I have started to read Dupont-Aignan's book about his first 100 days as president (!). His brand image is very much as "Mr Clean".

And whereas the fact the Le Pen is a woman and the other leading candidates are men hasn't been relevant for most people, I am not sure that it isn't much more relevant when viewed from Moscow.

Fair odds for Macron? 2.2 maybe?

PS Note to Le Pen: use bigger type, thicker lines, and a bigger piece of card.

How much are you offering at 2.2 ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    isam said:

The first rule of [blank] is you do not talk about [blank]... :D
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

All teams foul, none are entirely clean, but spurs have several players who are egregious even for footballers, there's no need to take it personally. I don't support a rival team or anything so I have no reason to have a go at them, but from the football I've watched they do appear particularly bad at that portion of the game.
    fair enough but compared to who as a benchmark?

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/fairplay
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Shock moment SNP politician MOANS about terror attack delaying Scottish independence vote:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/782658/london-terror-atack-snp-minister-meltdown-holyrood-suspension
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RIP
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I seem to recall that Victoria Principal held my attention, but I've no idea what the two prominent features of her performance that did so might have been.

I can imagine ...... (we really need a "rolls-eyes" emoticon around here)

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    @Pulpstar - what is Le Pen holding up there?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

A female friend of mine was very impressed by Kevin Campbell's performance one night. It wasn't football related iirc
    My abiding memory of Kevin Campbell is from the Arsenal 90/91 season review video (Champions only losing 1 game, a feat surely never to be beaten).. he was asked how it felt to score his first goal for the club... sat there thinking for about a minute then said he couldn't remember it!

(QPR away in a 3-1 victory)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,449
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

In well earned retirement .... :smile:
    http://elbow.co.uk/files/2016/10/site-image-largeONSALE.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly

he's taking a back seat

he's the invisible man

You should be ashamed of yourself. Probably I am asking for too much. You and the Alt-Right queen have plumbed new depths and resorted to point scoring.

Equally, the Prime Minister was also not on TV. But no reasonable person would criticise her as she had many, many persons to talk to.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

On the other hand the reports of the mp who performed cpr talked about the victim as "he" several times.

• Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

It does raise the question of which sources can be trusted though.. obviously those deemed reliable are not anymore. Shouldn't the posts falsely naming the bloke in jail be deleted? They're still on here
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I could tell a story about a footballer .... best not commit to print though :-)
  • Options
    Floater said:

Tim_B said:

On the other hand the reports of the mp who performed cpr talked about the victim as "he" several times.

Put it down to the fog of war.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

There's nothing wrong with developing an interest in TV programmes in that way. I recall I was quite fixated by Dallas - I seem to recall that Victoria Principal held my attention, but I've no idea what the two prominent features of her performance that did so might have been.
    She had good qualifications. Both of them.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

She had good qualifications. Both of them.
    Huge tracts of land?
  • Options
    May on TV live.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

It does raise the question of which sources can be trusted though.. obviously those deemed reliable are not anymore. Shouldn't the posts falsely naming the bloke in jail be deleted? They're still on here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZzFtjgtMvU
  • Options
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly

he's taking a back seat

he's the invisible man

You should be ashamed of yourself. Probably I am asking for too much. You and the Alt-Right queen have plumbed new depths and resorted to point scoring.

Equally, the Prime Minister was also not on TV. But no reasonable person would criticise her as she had many, many persons to talk to.
    err why ?

I comment on a difference of style between Khan and his peers and you throw a hissy fit.

I suspect his lack of prominence will get noted in places other than here

and yes I do criticise TM for not getting a move on and making a statement
  • Options
    LOL

as I post la Theresa appears

no sign of the Invisible Khan
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2017

Dear me, how sad. You'd actually deprive yourself of the incomparable pleasure of reading one of greatest novels ever written because of some screen adaptation?

You should follow Nabavi's Law: Never, ever, under any circumstances, watch a TV adaptation of a great novel which you haven't yet read. Why spoil your potential enjoyment of the real thing, on the off-chance that the pale imitation isn't too awful?
  • Options

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly

he's taking a back seat

he's the invisible man

err why ?

I comment on a difference of style between Khan and his peers and you throw a hissy fit.

She is making one now

I don't really see why politicians need to make statements on the quick in these situations. I want to hear what the Police have to say
  • Options
    May is striking a very sober and resolute tone with her comments. She will never be a great public speaker but she sounds sincere and in control.

Also pleased to hear her condemn it as an act of terrorism. No attempt to excuse it away.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Mrs legohead did well there.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    If you look downthread there was plenty of bemusement about the initial name in the frame.

• Options
    Y0kel said:

If you look downthread there was plenty of bemusement about the initial name in the frame.

Yes you were rightly suspicious
  • Options
    isam said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly

he's taking a back seat

he's the invisible man

err why ?

She is making one now

I don't really see why politicians need to make statements on the quick in these situations. I want to hear what the Police have to say
    Exactly. What does a quick statement actually prove ? Look what happened to C4 on trying to be first with the news.
  • Options
    Kay Burley - Theresa May quite Churchillian
  • Options

LOL

Star Trek:The Lack of Khan
  • Options
    isam said:

surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly

he's taking a back seat

he's the invisible man

err why ?

She is making one now

it's the modern equivalent of

keep calm and carry on
  • Options

LOL

He was on TV at least one hour if not more before. I don't think you would be writing this unless his name was Khan.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
  • Options
    surbiton said:

LOL

He was on TV at least one hour if not more before. I don't think you would be writing this unless his name was Khan.
    which tv channel was this
  • Options
    Probably the most expensive mistake of his now shortened career.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Dear me, how sad. You'd actually deprive yourself of the incomparable pleasure of reading one of greatest novels ever written because of some screen adaptation?

You should follow Nabavi's Law: Never, ever, under any circumstances, watch a TV adaptation of a great novel which you haven't yet read. Why spoil your potential enjoyment of the real thing, on the off-chance that the pale imitation isn't too awful?
    I saw the Superb TV adaptation of Brideshead Revisited before reading the novel. I actually enjoyed the book more after seeing the TV series. But that is very rare.

To me this is still the best TV adaptation of a novel.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

LOL

Boris would have been much more pro-active
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Ummm... yes, I suppose so. I can read "Married posh woman runs off with eligible bachelor" in OK Magazine and it will even have photos.

You should follow Nabavi's Law: Never, ever, under any circumstances, watch a TV adaptation of a great novel which you haven't yet read. Why spoil you potential enjoyment of the real thing, on the off-chance that the pale imitation isn't too awful?

I did watch the BBC mini-series of Shogun before I read the book. The book was way, way better.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    ABC24
    "The attack on the British Parliament is an attack on parliaments, freedom, and democracy everywhere.” @TurnbullMalcolm on #LondonAttack https://t.co/TBtrKQSddN
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237

May is striking a very sober and resolute tone with her comments. She will never be a great public speaker but she sounds sincere and in control.

Also pleased to hear her condemn it as an act of terrorism. No attempt to excuse it away.

However you look at it, it was an act of terrorism. Why wouldn't she?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    edited March 2017
    It's just occurred to me that fake news is an irregular verb:

I report incorrect news in good faith, you are fake news, he's being sued for slander.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Tim_B said:

I saw the Superb TV adaptation of Brideshead Revisited before reading the novel. I actually enjoyed the book more after seeing the TV series. But that is very rare.

That adaptation was unusually good.
This discussion has been closed.