Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Westminster attacks: It’ll be some time before we get the

Comments

• Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    isam said:

Why did my post get taken down while all the others "naming" the attacker remain?

Because you speculated about some being involved with today's incident without any evidence, whereas all the other person has been named by a reputable news organisation.

Already today @Plato did what you did which could have cost Mike a lot of money in the courts.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    edited March 2017

AndyJS said:

I hope it wasn't the person being named in various places, because he should have been under surveillance.

And how do you think that surveillance would have stopped someone getting into their own car and going for a drive? How could it have worked out his intentions on this particular occasion?

Unless someone is under house arrest, they will be allowed a certain amount of freedom of movement around their home city.

How do you propose we see into their minds?
    He didn't stab the police officers with his car.
    Do you seriously think that surveillance would have identified a man carrying a concealed knife when he left his house?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. JS, vielleicht. Surveillance is very costly. Frankly, no country in Western Europe has the manpower to put everyone they might want to under surveillance.

I fail to see how this will 'land May in the brown stuff'. I agree with Mr. Malmesbury.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,206

tlg86 said:

This may explain why we haven't heard from the PM. They know they're in the brown stuff.

Utter rubbish.
    You make a fair point about what the security services can actually do, but it won't stop awkward questions being asked.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Trevor Brooks does seem to have quite a high profile.

Quite a high profile is an understatement.
    Brooks is Choudary's mate. Been interviewed on tv numerous times.

• Options

isam said:

Why did my post get taken down while all the others "naming" the attacker remain?

Because you speculated about some being involved with today's incident without any evidence, whereas all the other person has been named by a reputable news organisation.

Already today @Plato did what you did which could have cost Mike a lot of money in the courts.
    I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. Isam hasn't name names, others on here are naming people off the back of Twitter speculation.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

Mr. JS, vielleicht. Surveillance is very costly. Frankly, no country in Western Europe has the manpower to put everyone they might want to under surveillance.

I fail to see how this will 'land May in the brown stuff'. I agree with Mr. Malmesbury.

Agreed - it would take something very very significant to do that, and the impossibility of monitoring everyone we'd like to the point they can be followed and neutralised at all times, would need more than that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited March 2017

isam said:

So what about all the other comments from other people specifically naming the killer by name? They are still here!

As far as I am aware the man they are naming hasn't been unveiled as the guilty party.. if it isn't him, Mike could need to back a few Lib Dems at 50/1 in By Elections

I just posted something that named no names and that has been deleted. How ridiculous!

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    The PM is not out on the steps for a reason, because they close things up for a bit.

This will be considered a running incident for now.

The pure loner idea cannot be concluded on for days yet so you have little choice.
  • Options
    Ok,that is darkly funny.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

This may explain why we haven't heard from the PM. They know they're in the brown stuff.

Utter rubbish.
    You make a fair point about what the security services can actually do, but it won't stop awkward questions being asked.
    Awkward questions may have to be asked. Sadly, the leader of the opposition is in no position to ask them.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Utter rubbish.
    Awkward questions may have to be asked. Sadly, the leader of the opposition is in no position to ask them.
    Pertinent questions need to be asked. Point-scoring ones need to remain unasked.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2017
    Channel 4 News just named the person being referred to elsewhere as being strongly suspected of having carried out the attack.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. Isam hasn't name names, others on here are naming people off the back of Twitter speculation.
    I didn't name anyone either.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    isam said:

isam said:

So what about all the other comments from other people specifically naming the killer by name? They are still here!

As far as I am aware the man they are naming hasn't been unveiled as the guilty party

I just posted something that named no names and that has been deleted. How ridiculous!

1) As noted below the name for Trevor Brooks came from a reputable news source which was posted downthread.

2) You don't need to name names for a comment to be legally problematic.
  • Options
    Well there was apparently one black man and one white man involved according to earlier reports. When Amber Rudd describes the situation as "ongoing", what does that mean?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    There will be the wild gnashing of teeth, tough talk will gush from the lips of politicians of all colours, there will be umpteen inquiries - and precisely nothing will change.
  • Options
    Anyone got Sadiq's statement?
  • Options
    A talker becomes a doer? Curious.

Its not complete loner job.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    SeanT said:

If it was Trevor Brooks it does pose dangerous questions for certain politicians

SeanT said:

If it was Trevor Brooks it does pose dangerous questions for certain politicians

Big time.
  • Options
    Jason said:

There will be the wild gnashing of teeth, tough talk will gush from the lips of politicians of all colours, there will be umpteen inquiries - and precisely nothing will change.

Yes, probably, unfortunately.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

There is a lot of information about him online.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Y0kel said:

what do you make of Marty's departure ?
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Careful Yokel...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Channel 4 now - Simon Israel just named Brooks as the suspect. Mentioned he was detained in Hungary in 2015. Left out reference to court case mentioned by Mirror.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    SeanT said:
    Many of the initial reports said the attacker was Asian and a lot of twitter comments were based around that. Shows, once again, that it's always best to wait.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Utter rubbish.
    Pertinent questions need to be asked. Point-scoring ones need to remain unasked.
    May was Home Secretary for six years, and may have had some responsibility for issues leading to this attack. A good, competent opposition would be able to press her on any relevant points.

Corbyn isn't the man to do it: there's too much mud that can be thrown back in his direction. That's bad for getting to the truth; worse for ensuring any mistakes that may have been made are learnt from.

But it's still far too early to say either way.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    SeanT said:
    Nothing about him being sentenced to two years jail time in Jan 2016?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The Cobra meeting will be heated if these reports are true
  • Options
    Utterly off-topic aside: just discovered that Graves nicked the 'drills were bloodless battles and battles were bloody drills' line (spoken in I, Claudius by Drusus to Tiberius, describing how the army saw the latter as a commander) from Josephus.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Basically, lock up everyone linked to Hamza, Choudhary, etc

Lock them up forever. In some kind of Guantanamo.

But lots of them live in Bedfordshire , Guantanamo's an improvement
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Basically, lock up everyone linked to Hamza, Choudhary, etc

Lock them up forever. In some kind of Guantanamo.

I'm all for actually convicting people of things rather than the Guantanamo approach, but it has to be said its amazing how long that can take sometimes given how dangerous some of them are later said to be.
  • Options
    What sort of surveillance do people think would have prevented this attack?

I fail to see how any of our security services could have read the attackers mind as he set out with a (presumably concealed) knife in his car today.
  • Options
    isam said:

Y0kel said:

Careful Yokel...
    There are only two options on this one:

Loner, previously largely blowhard with interestingly changed circumstance
    Non loner in some shape or form.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:
    If he was sentenced in January 2016 for 2 years, how come he's still not inside now? Early release?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    If it is a known individual that raises all sorts of questions.

Who is he currently connected to?
    Was he under surveillance?

And all those that follow.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    nope - but clearly an Islamist
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Utter rubbish.
    I'm sure TM is trying to establish the facts before she talks to the country.
    Absolutely the right thing to do.
  • Options

SeanT said:
    Many of the initial reports said the attacker was Asian and a lot of twitter comments were based around that. Shows, once again, that it's always best to wait.

maybe the Sun will say it's Gina Miller :-)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:
    C4News not mentioning that, either
    He was jailed for four and half years in May 2008 for terrorism charges but was let out in 2009.

Not sure where this January 2016 jail sentence has come from?
  • Options
    OUT said:

Choudary is absolute scum
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Another angle is whether May will let Amber Rudd get on with the job over the next few weeks or whether she'll try to micro-manage and pull decisions in to Number 10.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    SeanT said:

dr_spyn said:

Channel 4 now - Simon Israel just named Brooks as the suspect. Mentioned he was detained in Hungary in 2015. Left out reference to court case mentioned by Mirror.

With a two year sentence you'd be out after a year (esp if you did time remanded).

So it makes sense he could be free, now, and as soon as he got free - he went postal.

Doesn't excuse the fact he slipped through the surveillance net.
    I am not sure being under surveillance could stop such an attack, especially if it was a so-called lone wolf attack.
  • Options
    Mr. T, can't put everyone under surveillance, there simply isn't the manpower. The pool of former, suspected and potential terrorists is enormous.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    murali_s said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:
    If he was sentenced in January 2016 for 2 years, how come he's still not inside now? Early release?
    "Both men were sentenced to two years in prison. The maximum term for the offence is five years."

So if the judge had given them a stiffer sentence, he would have still been inside.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:
    He was jailed for four and half years in May 2008 for terrorism charges but was let out in 2009.

It seems to be from breaching the rules requiring him not to leave the country - unless I have mis-read something
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2017
    From once the authorities claim to be known locally as Dave Trev isn't far off...
  • Options

I fail to see how any of our security services could have read the attackers mind as he set out with a (presumably concealed) knife in his car today.

How on earth can any security services prevent someone even on a warch list getting into their own car and then suddenly turning it into a weapon.

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/islamic-extremists-jailed-serious-deliberate-7142974
  • Options
  • Options
    Floater said:

OUT said:

Choudary is absolute scum
    The Martin McGuiness of our time... will he be an MP in 2040? A martyr in 2056?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

See here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/islamic-extremists-jailed-serious-deliberate-7142974
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    On a positive front the piece of shit is dead. No loss whatsoever and the idea that a sad loser like this has any intelligence, frankly of any kind, is highly optimistic. Of course we need to investigate whether there are other similar losers that he was in contact with who might be similarly deluded but there was nothing sophisticated or even planned about this. I'm glad he's dead. I seriously hope it hurt, a lot.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Another angle is whether May will let Amber Rudd get on with the job over the next few weeks or whether she'll try to micro-manage and pull decisions in to Number 10.

Any chance to have a dig at May... :smiley:
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

dr_spyn said:

With a two year sentence you'd be out after a year (esp if you did time remanded).

So it makes sense he could be free, now, and as soon as he got free - he went postal.

Doesn't excuse the fact he slipped through the surveillance net.
    I am not sure being under surveillance could stop such an attack, especially if it was a so-called lone wolf attack.
    It would have to be extremely extensive and capable of knowing, when he got into a car, what he intended if they were to stop him at all, since he presumably drove sensibly until he got there.

We shall see what details emerge, but clearly if it is him there will be much criticism, but it may well be it was off such a low level, planning wise, it just couldn't be prevented.
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, well. That's a bit of a surprise.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015
    Not entirely sure what can be done other than remember the victims and continue to go about our business with heightened vigilance and resolve. Eventually it will come to pass that such actions are seen for what they are. Utterly futile. N Ireland learned that lesson. Sadly we are not there yet.
  • Options

murali_s said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:
    "Both men were sentenced to two years in prison. The maximum term for the offence is five years."

So if the judge had given them a stiffer sentence, he would have still been inside.
    Maybe then he would have done it a few years later?
  • Options

murali_s said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Maybe then he would have done it a few years later?
  • Options
    Ooh crikey the plot thickens
  • Options
    If that is true some have got this very wrong
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Not entirely sure what can be done other than remember the victims and continue to go about our business with heightened vigilance and resolve. Eventually it will come to pass that such actions are seen for what they are. Utterly futile. N Ireland learned that lesson. Sadly we are not there yet.

You can't compare the IRA with Islamic terrorism. The Death Cult want us dead.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    SeanT said:

It's slightly reassuring that it's Brooks, in a bizarre way. He's been linked to terror and ISIS for many years. He's a bigwig in the bearded loony brigade.

We're definitely fortunate that most of our home-grown brigade seem to be thick as pigshit, and thus rather lacking in imagination when it comes to mass murder.

Awfully easy to dream up much more effective methods.
  • Options

From once the authorities claim to be known locally as Dave Trev isn't far off...

Was he mentally ill?
  • Options
    A guy from ABC fact checked this simple point and C4 didn't????
  • Options
    Again, if it was the currently named person, its a notable change in pattern.
  • Options

Mr. T, can't put everyone under surveillance, there simply isn't the manpower. The pool of former, suspected and potential terrorists is enormous.

and growing
  • Options

How on earth can any security services prevent someone even on a warch list getting into their own car and then suddenly turning it into a weapon.

I agree... Seems almost impossible to stop.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Wasn't that a joke tweet?

*confused*
    Think everyone needs to wait for official confirmation of the terrorist before jumping to conclusions
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/844631058142388225

Either C4 are right or they are wrong.
  • Options
    Sky news were treating right wing extremism as if it is at the same level as Jihadist terrorism.

Right..................................
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Floater said:

Was he mentally ill?
    Sky news expert just raised that possibility.

Also stated that UK has 3000 people that are listed as a danger and ideally should be under surveillance. Apparently France have 2000 and they only actually have 40 under round the clock watch.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I'm very confused now. C4News is still adamant that its Izzadeen - yet his solicitor says he's in jail??!

I suspect a spoof tweet. C4News has it right

If C4News has this wrong they are going to have serious questions to answer
  • Options
    Andrew said:

SeanT said:

It's slightly reassuring that it's Brooks, in a bizarre way. He's been linked to terror and ISIS for many years. He's a bigwig in the bearded loony brigade.

We're definitely fortunate that most of our home-grown brigade seem to be thick as pigshit, and thus rather lacking in imagination when it comes to mass murder.

Their fixation with London helps the security forces, plus all the hard security furniture. You drive a car down Loughborough Marketplace on a Thursday and you'd run out of petrol before enough tooled up coppers could be scrounged up. It's a scary thought, but nothing we can do about it really.
  • Options
    2 of the French children are in a critical condition

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Have ch4 just libelled a terrorist....Imagine if they have and have to pay compensation. Surely they won't have balls this up, surely?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,460
    People are tweeting that the C4 alleged attacker is apparently still in jail
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

SeanT said:

I'm very confused now. C4News is still adamant that its Izzadeen - yet his solicitor says he's in jail??!

I'm pretty certain calling someone a terrorist like on TV over and over again will have libel implications...
  • Options

Andrew said:

SeanT said:

Their fixation with London helps the security forces, plus all the hard security furniture. You drive a car down Loughborough Marketplace on a Thursday and you'd run out of petrol before enough tooled up coppers could be scrounged up. It's a scary thought, but nothing we can do about it really.
    ex policeman on Sky admitted only London could respond as promptly with armed officers.
  • Options

Floater said:

Was he mentally ill?
    Sky news expert just raised that possibility.

Also stated that UK has 3000 people that are listed as a danger and ideally should be under surveillance. Apparently France have 2000 and they only actually have 40 under round the clock watch.
    3000 that we know of...........................

How many at the height of the troubles?
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    SeanT said:

Lock up EVERYONE who rants about Islam.

It's not hard. All of them. Lock 'em up. Bin the keys. Or offer them safe passage to Raqqa

In all seriousness, it's not hard to see how the hate crime legislation could be (very slightly) re-purposed for this kind of application.
  • Options

SeanT said:

I'm pretty certain calling someone a terrorist like on TV over and over again will have libel implications...
    PB Moderator was spot on on this earlier
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I think it is interesting that sky news, never normally slow to want to be the first to break news, aren't repeating ch4s claim as of yet.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Was he mentally ill?
    Surely anyone who believes that committing this sort of terrorist act is acceptable is operating under a severe delusion. Severe enough to be considered mentally ill.

But that is no excuse for their actions.
  • Options
    Re Tobias Ellwood. A mate of mine served in the Green Jacket's with him. He said he is utterly unsurprised the way he jumped in to help. Chapeau.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015

dixiedean said:

So what can be done then? Death cults end when their adherents are dead, and any potential recruits see it as pointless. ISIS is on its last legs in Syria and Iraq.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, they can take a few hours to claim responsibility. Wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while yet, or even happens tomorrow.

Especially when it is a lone wolf, as the "responsible" groups need to wait till the media tell them who the attacker was "inspired" by.
    An extraordinary choice of words by Kay Burley for which both she and Sky News should apologise.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Independent newspaper naming the same person as C4 News.
  • Options

SeanT said:

PB Moderator was spot on on this earlier
    But not so much now. That name is still on this thread and it might be wrong!
  • Options
    Floater said:

Andrew said:

SeanT said:

ex policeman on Sky admitted only London could respond as promptly with armed officers.
    Hasnt been to Belfast then.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

So what can be done then? Death cults end when their adherents are dead, and any potential recruits see it as pointless. ISIS is on its last legs in Syria and Iraq.
    Yeah, but it'll pop up elsewhere, and that doesn't stop our own homegrown crazies. This won't be resolved anytime soon.
  • Options
    OOPS!!!!

Andrew Neil‏Verified account @afneil 11m11 minutes ago
    More
    Well, how does Channel 4 News square this: Trevor Brooks aka Abu Izzadeen's solicitor says he's still in jail!!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

ISIS is not the be all and end of of Islamic terrorism.
  • Options
    C4 might be backtracking re Trevor Brooks. Simon Israel on now.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Have ch4 just topped the mirror's infamous front page?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Wow, Channel 4 News backtracking

Huge fuck up.

No real excuse for a major news organization if they did jump in too soon like that.
This discussion has been closed.