Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Westminster attacks: It’ll be some time before we get the

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    SeanT said:

Wow, Channel 4 News backtracking

Huge fuck up.

They couldn't have libeled a nicer bloke, could they? :D
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Y0kel said:

Floater said:

Andrew said:

SeanT said:

It's slightly reassuring that it's Brooks, in a bizarre way. He's been linked to terror and ISIS for many years. He's a bigwig in the bearded loony brigade.

We're definitely fortunate that most of our home-grown brigade seem to be thick as pigshit, and thus rather lacking in imagination when it comes to mass murder.

Awfully easy to dream up much more effective methods.
    Their fixation with London helps the security forces, plus all the hard security furniture. You drive a car down Loughborough Marketplace on a Thursday and you'd run out of petrol before enough tooled up coppers could be scrounged up. It's a scary thought, but nothing we can do about it really.
    ex policeman on Sky admitted only London could respond as promptly with armed officers.
    Hasnt been to Belfast then.
    or Carrickmore
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    SeanT said:

The most calamitous news reporting in a decade. Wow.

Simon Israel was blinking at a hundred miles an hour throughout that statement.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    I have pointed out this out rather a lot. Trump doesn't throw a grenade without evidence. Trey Gowdy on Monday only asked questions in Congress he appeared to know the answers to.

Carry on thinking they're all morons.

Wikileaks
    BREAKING: U.S. House Intelligence Committee confirms U.S. spies intercepted Trump team communications "on numerous occasions" #Vault7 https://t.co/hPV5cOxCcO
  • Options
    I thought Channel Four were hot on Fact Checking!
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Huge fuck up.

Hard for him to claim for any damage to his reputation. It has probably increased his 'value'

It would be horrendous to see the libel laws being used to force media outlets to pay damages that would arguably be used to fund terrorism...
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    SeanT said:

Huge fuck up.

Fake News. Channel 4 News won't recover.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Y0kel said:

Floater said:

Andrew said:

SeanT said:

It's slightly reassuring that it's Brooks, in a bizarre way. He's been linked to terror and ISIS for many years. He's a bigwig in the bearded loony brigade.

We're definitely fortunate that most of our home-grown brigade seem to be thick as pigshit, and thus rather lacking in imagination when it comes to mass murder.

Awfully easy to dream up much more effective methods.
    Their fixation with London helps the security forces, plus all the hard security furniture. You drive a car down Loughborough Marketplace on a Thursday and you'd run out of petrol before enough tooled up coppers could be scrounged up. It's a scary thought, but nothing we can do about it really.
    ex policeman on Sky admitted only London could respond as promptly with armed officers.
    Hasnt been to Belfast then.
    I suspect he was only talking about the mainland :-)

But point well taken
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    PlatoSaid said:

I have pointed out this out rather a lot. Trump doesn't throw a grenade without evidence. Trey Gowdy on Monday only asked questions in Congress he appeared to know the answers to.

Wikileaks
    BREAKING: U.S. House Intelligence Committee confirms U.S. spies intercepted Trump team communications "on numerous occasions" #Vault7 https://t.co/hPV5cOxCcO

Odd how you haven't linked to this:
    Trump ex-aide Paul Manafort 'offered to help Putin'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39350007
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    PlatoSaid said:

Wikileaks

Why is that good for Trump ?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Thought I could trust Channel 4 News on something like this.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    PlatoSaid said:

Wikileaks

Let me rephrase that. In the course of foreign intelligence monioting, members of Trump team communicating with those foreign Intelligence people were scooped up.

It is NOT the same as any claim from the Russian front organisation that is Wikileaks who have every reason to fire out talk.

Let me be clear and I've been banging on about this for months. Trump is in over his head with the Russians and he now knows it.
  • Options

I thought Channel Four were hot on Fact Checking!

I simply clicked on the tweet and saw it was ABC journalist. How can C4 not do a simple check like this?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Utterly off-topic aside: just discovered that Graves nicked the 'drills were bloodless battles and battles were bloody drills' line (spoken in I, Claudius by Drusus to Tiberius, describing how the army saw the latter as a commander) from Josephus.

It has been years since I read "I, Clavdivs". Heavy going though, Mills & Boon it was not :)
  • Options
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

C4 might be backtracking re Trevor Brooks. Simon Israel on now.

There were "eye witness" reports that the assailant was black. Then, hey presto, C4 got their man. If this is a false report, then it shows how competitive news has become and they have to be first - even with the wrong news!

Let's wait until tomorrow. The police will tell us his identity.
  • Options
    Breaking: Channel 4 News in critical condition.
  • Options
    multiple media outlets naming the individual named by C4 / Independent

Including US / Italian and arabic services.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,014

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Not entirely sure what can be done other than remember the victims and continue to go about our business with heightened vigilance and resolve. Eventually it will come to pass that such actions are seen for what they are. Utterly futile. N Ireland learned that lesson. Sadly we are not there yet.

You can't compare the IRA with Islamic terrorism. The Death Cult want us dead.
    So what can be done then? Death cults end when their adherents are dead, and any potential recruits see it as pointless. ISIS is on its last legs in Syria and Iraq.
    Yeah, but it'll pop up elsewhere, and that doesn't stop our own homegrown crazies. This won't be resolved anytime soon.
    Tackle it at source. We know where the funding for hate preachers comes from. Economic cowardice has prevented it so far.
  • Options
    Oh dear indeed
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    PlatoSaid said:

Wikileaks

Some of these people are a bit dim. However are you suggesting that it's a sort of Emperor's new clothes thing? So the establishment has been so rotten, for so long, that you need someone that's both a fool and incredibly brave to highlight it?

I'd like to be pointed towards a non-foolish but incredibly brave person in that case. Just a couple to leaven the mix.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Floater said:

Hope he won't end up with more money from this.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,008
    Mrs C, I've never read it, but I did very much enjoy the BBC version of it. Absolutely stellar cast.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Floater said:

Hope he won't end up with more money from this.
    I would hope that a judge would award 1p in damages.

The lawyers, on the other hand, would make a mint
  • Options
    Salutory warning to all those who sought to make political capital out of what appears to be one of the most serious fake news stories in the UK
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Not entirely sure what can be done other than remember the victims and continue to go about our business with heightened vigilance and resolve. Eventually it will come to pass that such actions are seen for what they are. Utterly futile. N Ireland learned that lesson. Sadly we are not there yet.

So what can be done then? Death cults end when their adherents are dead, and any potential recruits see it as pointless. ISIS is on its last legs in Syria and Iraq.
    Yeah, but it'll pop up elsewhere, and that doesn't stop our own homegrown crazies. This won't be resolved anytime soon.
    Tackle it at source. We know where the funding for hate preachers comes from. Economic cowardice has prevented it so far.
    Saudi Arabia ? Even Trump did not include that country in his six countries.
  • Options
    More than embarrassing for Channel 4 to jump the gun and get fact-checked by an American journalist.
  • Options

Mrs C, I've never read it, but I did very much enjoy the BBC version of it. Absolutely stellar cast.

It is a good read - but it does work better in adaptation. There was a R4 version a few years back that made a good job of it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    I'd suggest now might be a good time for a new thread with this one consigned to history.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Utterly off-topic aside: just discovered that Graves nicked the 'drills were bloodless battles and battles were bloody drills' line (spoken in I, Claudius by Drusus to Tiberius, describing how the army saw the latter as a commander) from Josephus.

It has been years since I read "I, Clavdivs". Heavy going though, Mills & Boon it was not :)
    Vol 2 - Claudius the God - is even tougher. I bought the books when the BBC series came out - still not read them both cover to cover in spite of several attempts.
  • Options
    breitbart have a classic line dropping shit all over C4

"(insert name here), the man Channel 4 News believed to be the suspect "

Note the key word
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    dr_spyn said:
    You would have thought C4 would have got a proper source before naming him.
  • Options
    Is this C4's Al Capone Vault?
  • Options
    So, is I, Claudius (the book) harder or easier than Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I wonder whether Channel 4 has thought about their +1 hour channel coverage?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

So, is I, Claudius (the book) harder or easier than Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire?

Shorter.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

SeanT said:

Huge fuck up.

Fake News. Channel 4 News won't recover.
    Fortunately they have little reputation to lose…
  • Options
    surbiton said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

See. People know without having to have it spelled out. We all know where the root of the problem is. We also know why no government will say so.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

dr_spyn said:
    You would have thought C4 would have got a proper source before naming him.
    Thanks to the @PBModerator for deleting my comments! :smile:
  • Options
    Simon Israel's bio on the Channel 4 website says, 'He's broken a number of exclusives...'

https://www.channel4.com/news/by/simon-israel
  • Options
    I thought I'd missed it. Clearly not.

Paul Joseph Watson

Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, a city attacked over 5 hours ago, has not appeared once on camera to reassure the public. Where is he?
  • Options

And the EU blinked

Barnier warned of queues of lorries at Dover, a complete lack of certainty for citizens and custom controls on trade from day one of the UK’s withdrawal. “A no deal scenario is not what we want,” he said.

• Options
    JackW said:

Well played sir..... perhaps the redundant BBC test card might be better?
  • Options
    Reluctant correction from Jon Snow ?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    PlatoSaid said:

Is this C4's Al Capone Vault?

It's Michael Fish on steroids, Channel 4 will never live down this fiasco.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Reluctant correction from Jon Snow ?

What did he say
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, a city attacked over 5 hours ago, has not appeared once on camera to reassure the public. Where is he?

I thought he had released some sort of statement?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Simon Israel's bio on the Channel 4 website says, 'He's broken a number of exclusives...'

https://www.channel4.com/news/by/simon-israel

Are those more or less prestigious than a PB first? :D
  • Options
    JackW said:

Good thinking, I've just pressed record for the news. I'll take a look at half time in the footy.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Shrewdie!
  • Options
    Mr. Z, I should bloody well hope so, given Gibbon's work is nearly 4,000 pages long!

I was referring to ease of reading rather than length.
  • Options
    Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
  • Options
    I lived in London during the first half of the 1970s, worked in the City when the IRA bombing campaign was in full swing, so I saw my fair share of sirens and police actions.

If I lived there now I would raise a glass this evening in tribute to the response of the police and emergency responders - they came through big time when needed: and in memory of the police officer who died in the line of duty.

It doesn't matter how long I've lived in the US and been a US citizen - on days like today there is a part of me that will always be a brit, and proud of it. I felt this one personally. I knew the area around parliament almost 50 years ago - I still remember standing in Downing Street opposite the door of No. 10 watching Wilson move out and Heath move in back in 1970. In those days Downing Street was a public street, with steps at the back down to Horseguards, a thoroughfare open to the public. Hard to believe that today.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

Yes he has. https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan/status/844633197191335936
  • Options

Mr. Z, I should bloody well hope so, given Gibbon's work is nearly 4,000 pages long!

I'm reading Edward Empire's Decline and Fall of the Roman Gibbon on my Kindle. In small chunks it's great reading.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited March 2017
    Deleted. Link already posted.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Sky (Kay) reporting police have identified the attacker
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Tim_B said:

Vol 2 - Claudius the God - is even tougher. I bought the books when the BBC series came out - still not read them both cover to cover in spite of several attempts.
    They're wonderful books. I do think that they're best read with a certain experience of life under your belt though. I'm not sure I'd have liked them if I had read them 10 years prior. I plan to read War and Peace again for roughly those sorts of reasons - I found it hard the first time.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I'm reading Edward Empire's Decline and Fall of the Roman Gibbon on my Kindle. In small chunks it's great reading.
    I had to double check that someone hadn't written an epic parody. :)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    I will remind people of the quote I gave in the previous thread, from a PR bod:

"In that situation, there is not a great deal you can do to make things better, but there is a lot you can do to make things worse. And spreading gossip definitely makes things worse."
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Right, so Channel 4 will be writing a man convicted of terrorist fundraising a cheque tonight.

Great.
  • Options
    Ooopps - Channel 4 News do it again on +1 hour ....
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

Clearly he forgot to inform Plato.
  • Options
    Mr. B, how does it work with the copious footnotes?

I've got Dodge's biography of Gustavus Adolphus on Kindle (wasn't available as a proper book). May return to it when I've finally worked my way through some other stuff.

Mr. Omnium, I feel that way about Shakespeare. Whilst I do think it's good the plays are taught in schools, more is gotten from them with greater experience and knowledge.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    JackW said:

It's hard to believe a state broadcaster could actually name someone like this without making sure they have the correct person.

Incredible really!
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Right, so Channel 4 will be writing a man convicted of terrorist fundraising a cheque tonight.

Great.

You couldn't make it up!
  • Options
    calum said:

Sky (Kay) reporting police have identified the attacker

I hope the Police were not watching C4 News.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

Here: https://twitter.com/SadiqKhan
  • Options
    A bit of levity.

Current score in the football is Scotland 0 - Canada 1
  • Options
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

Clearly he forgot to inform Plato.
    and everybody else

• Options
    Channel 4 has just pulled their +1 coverage (after already repeating the claim in the intro)...
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    dixiedean said:

surbiton said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

See. People know without having to have it spelled out. We all know where the root of the problem is. We also know why no government will say so.
    Oversimplification. Vehicle-based terrorism is either cheap or (if you hijack it) free. Ideas, even very bad ones, have a life of their own and spread themselves without the need for paying "hate preachers" (who in any case are generously supported in this country by the DWP). If funding is needed, ISIS has a GDP as large as some countries (not, admittedly, including Saudi Arabia).
  • Options
    Channel 4 pull their +1 hour coverage ....

Someone must read PB .... :smile:
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    "We are temporarily unable to show the scheduled content on +1 at this moment"

I bet!
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, you blasphemer!

Mr. Rabbit, fake news! Sad.
  • Options

A bit of levity.

Current score in the football is Scotland 0 - Canada 1

be fair canada are down to nine men
  • Options

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

It must drive the likes of Sky News and the BBC nuts that posters on twitter can post what they want, like naming the attacker, and they have to be far more circumspect.

Sometimes patience is a virtue in the reporting game.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    JackW said:

Mike's the man who moves markets and Mr Jack is the man who moves the media! :smiley:
  • Options

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Huge fuck up.

Hard for him to claim for any damage to his reputation. It has probably increased his 'value'

It would be horrendous to see the libel laws being used to force media outlets to pay damages that would arguably be used to fund terrorism...
    That's the point - there has been no damage to his reputation so there would be no monetary amount.

I can say Gary glitter interfered with a.n.other and even if it's not true it hasn't damaged his reputation so he can't sue me for libel.

• Options
    If this really turns out to be a lone wolf attack, this must have been an extremely badly planned attack. Did he really think he will get into Parliament ?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

I had to double check that someone hadn't written an epic parody. :)
    It might owe something - along with Stanley Stamp's Gibbon catalogue - to "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again", one of whose favorite songs was "stuff that gibbon"

Just search for 'gibbon'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_Sorry,_I'll_Read_That_Again
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?
    On the Mayor of London twitter feed he released a statement 3 hours ago
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    surbiton said:

If this really turns out to be a lone wolf attack, this must have been an extremely badly planned attack. Did he really think he will get into Parliament ?

Maybe. The Canadian attacker did get inside their parliament building.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    surbiton said:

He wanted to die a martyr. Sick.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?
    he hasnt really got the grasp of this media stuff

why isnt he on the telly
  • Options

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Huge fuck up.

That's the point - there has been no damage to his reputation so there would be no monetary amount.

I can say Gary glitter interfered with a.n.other and even if it's not true it hasn't damaged his reputation so he can't sue me for libel.

The individual in question doesn't have convictions for violence - so he could claim that calling him a murderer is damage.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly
    I've had Sky on since PMQs - no mention at all
  • Options

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Huge fuck up.

The individual in question doesn't have convictions for violence - so he could claim that calling him a murderer is damage.
    Yes, I think he will sue and he will win.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly
    I prefer hearing from the police what's going on basically - as we've seen media can be trying to scoop and politicians can't win re grandstanding / hiding coin.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

He very nearly did.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Tim_B said:

I read them both. I think once in a lifetime was enough :)

I did enjoy them though
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

dixiedean said:

surbiton said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Oversimplification. Vehicle-based terrorism is either cheap or (if you hijack it) free. Ideas, even very bad ones, have a life of their own and spread themselves without the need for paying "hate preachers" (who in any case are generously supported in this country by the DWP). If funding is needed, ISIS has a GDP as large as some countries (not, admittedly, including Saudi Arabia).
    Possibly an over simplification, but ISIS did not grow out of a vacuum. It developed after years of well funded evangelism of Wahhabism on the back of mostly Saudi oil money.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Huge fuck up.

Yes, I think he will sue and he will win.
    I bet he is saying a few "Allah Akhbars" in his cell tonight!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly
    I've had Sky on since PMQs - no mention at all
    I thought you normally watched Fox News.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Mike's the man who moves markets and Mr Jack is the man who moves the media! :smiley:
    The only thing Jack moves with alacrity these days are bowel movements after certain medication !!
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Floater said:

PlatoSaid said:

Paul Joseph Watson

He did - hours ago.
    Linky?

why isnt he on the telly
    I prefer hearing from the police what's going on basically - as we've seen media can be trying to scoop and politicians can't win re grandstanding / hiding coin.
    maybe, but part of his job is to be the focal point of London in times of crisis

he's taking a back seat
This discussion has been closed.