Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » George Osborne to become editor of the Evening Standard but he

12346»

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

JackW said:

Several years back Mrs JackW was quite struck on the mini, until she sat in one !!

I did advise her the reality would spoil her gushing perceptions, especially after driving an Audi Q7 to view the dinky offering .... :smiley:

We had a Mini back in 1962. Very happy memories. And no, we bought it not long after we got married.

Mrs C learned to drive in it.
    Some might call it the car of a no frills winner

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3107295/ngolo-kante-chelsea-car-mini/
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

Several years back Mrs JackW was quite struck on the mini, until she sat in one !!

I did advise her the reality would spoil her gushing perceptions, especially after driving an Audi Q7 to view the dinky offering .... :smiley:

We had a Mini back in 1962. Very happy memories. And no, we bought it not long after we got married.

I cannot confirm that Mrs JackW learnt to drive with a gentleman walking in front with a red flag ..... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

Of course a consequence of low interest rates has been Triple-Lock Pensions.

Eh?
    Low interest rates = low bond yields = underperforming pension pots = bribe key voting demographic
    If your pension pot hasn't been in balanced global equities then you have the wrong provider 'coz, in no particular order:

Low interest rates = low investment costs = low interest payments = higher profits = higher dividend payouts = lower discount rates = higher share prices.
    Alistair invests in Vanguard, so this isn't HIS pension pot he is talking about, more the great British unsophisticated investor in total.
    ?
    Vanguard offers lots of equity free and equity light products, so that doesn't really follow. Also, aftertiming and hindsight are wonderful things, but there's times when being "100% in balanced global equities" can leave you looking pretty silly.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    JackW said:

JackW said:

I cannot confirm that Mrs JackW learnt to drive with a gentleman walking in front with a red flag ..... :sunglasses:
    You can tell she isn't of high class otherwise she would have had her servant learn for her. :smiley:
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Alistair said:

Eh?
    Low interest rates = low bond yields = underperforming pension pots = bribe key voting demographic
    In mathematics you should generally try and simplify your equations and your equation can be greatly simplified:

Politicians want to be elected = bribe key voting demographic
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited March 2017

JackW said:

My one car was a Morris Traveler in the early 70s. I ran it for ages with a dud battery, using the hand crank to start it. Once I mended its electrics by the side of the road halfway to Bristol from Nottingham. The plus side was that it was eminently easy to work on, but I spent far too much time in a losing battle to mend its rotting British Steel. It was only about six years old.
    I find walking and cycling far easier to manage.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    isam said:

JackW said:

Some might call it the car of a no frills winner

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3107295/ngolo-kante-chelsea-car-mini/
    Definitely few frills on the car. Did have heater, though.

My friend and I could lift it up to put it on a support so we could change a wheel.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pong said:

I blame the Sarah Beeny type shows that dominated TV schedules for a decade and a half.

"Mr and Mrs Smith bought the house for £100k, put a bit of plaster on the walls and now it's worth £200k, aren't they clever!?"

House prices historically have been a lot more volatile than people think - it has not been the case in recent decades that they have automatically been a good investment.

http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/2017/02/21/comment/chris-dillow/housing-risk-Hpk00ii6QyvUCrS3rKVkJL/article.html
    That's a great article.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So Trump thinks that Germany has a trade deal with the US and that the UK spied on him for Obama. I wonder if even among the swivel-eyed Atlanticist right there is a dawning realisation that we are not going to bestriding the world with the US once we have left the EU.

Trump invited May before Merkel for a reason but as the new Mori makes clear we voted Leave to gain control of immigration not to stride around the world as the US mini me

Yep - May's rush to Washington DC to prostrate herself and her country at Donald Trump's feet looks increasingly foolish; as do her remarks about the US and the UK leading the world.

Testing Brexitism to destruction is a dirty job, but she did volunteer for it.

Can you imagine the fury on here and among right-wing Atlanticists if that uppity African and his spokesman had accused the UK of spying on him? Fact is, Trump is the most anti-British US president for decades. And there are still people who think he'll give us a great trade deal :-D

I liked Obama but he did remove the Churchill bust which Trump restored and Obama himself said his closest international ally was Merkel not May. The fact is that other than Netanyahu and maybe Abe, May is Trump's most reliable international ally, that is why he saw those leaders first at the White House
    Wasn't the story about the bust more complex than that (something like there were two; one permanent and one on loan) ?
    Maybe but Trump still managed to find one to put in his office unlike his predecessor
    Isn't this the most trivial point ever?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Did anybody see the Panorama on the case of Sgt Blackman on Wednesday?
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

You can tell she isn't of high class otherwise she would have had her servant learn for her. :smiley:
    What makes you think one didn't ?!?
  • Options
    Toms said:

JackW said:

My one car was a Morris Traveler in the early 70s. I ran it for ages with a dud battery, using the hand crank to start it. Once I mended its electrics by the side of the road halfway to Bristol from Nottingham. The plus side was that it was eminently easy to work on, but I spent far too much time in a losing battle to mend its rotting British Steel. It was only about six years old.
    Funny you should say that, I find driving much easier to manage than walking or cycling!
    My enduring memory of the early mini with its then revolutionary front wheel drive was the way my friend would throw his into a corner at around 45 - 50 mph and emerge unscathed, whereas with anything else one would have finished upside down in a ditch.
  • Options

Feeling silly, and about as far off topic as I can imagine being, here's a rerun of the Troll pix:

http://tinyurl.com/k7plwqc
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Labour write letter about Osborne to the Cabinet Office committee in charge of reviewing jobs taken up by former ministers - may go to PM for review:
    https://order-order.com/2017/03/17/labour-report-osborne-to-cabinet-office/
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I see Trump Merkel meeting went well....

HANDSHAKE...HANDSHAKE....COME HANDSHAKE FOR THE CAMERA....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Eh?
    Pension pots have been doing quite well, actually, so that doesn't work. Furthermore the triple lock benefits only very poor pensioners to any significant degree - those who are wholly or mainly dependent on state pensions.

Having said that, it's served its purpose now, and should not be renewed in the next parliament, IMO. Currently I believe only the Labour Party is committed to keeping it.
    Pension near maturity that are principally invested in government bonds? Really?
  • Options
    nunu said:
    A newspaper magnate surely wants their paper to be cripplingly addictive? :)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

Eh?
    If your pension pot hasn't been in balanced global equities then you have the wrong provider 'coz, in no particular order:

Low interest rates = low investment costs = low interest payments = higher profits = higher dividend payouts = lower discount rates = higher share prices.
    Alistair invests in Vanguard, so this isn't HIS pension pot he is talking about, more the great British unsophisticated investor in total.
    ?
    Vanguard offers lots of equity free and equity light products, so that doesn't really follow. Also, aftertiming and hindsight are wonderful things, but there's times when being "100% in balanced global equities" can leave you looking pretty silly.
    I'm 80% in stocks, 20% in government bonds.

But people in their 60s will have their funds mostly in bonds. Which are stagnant as all fuck and have been for years.
  • Options

Toms said:

JackW said:

Funny you should say that, I find driving much easier to manage than walking or cycling!
    My enduring memory of the early mini with its then revolutionary front wheel drive was the way my friend would throw his into a corner at around 45 - 50 mph and emerge unscathed, whereas with anything else one would have finished upside down in a ditch.
    Heh. I found that walking & cycling got easier and more relaxing the more I did them.
    A flashback:
    Being driven wildly up and down hills around Bristol by my dear Jewish friend in a rattly Moskvich with him leaning intently forward over the steering wheel like a fierce Cossack. I feared, among other things brake failure. But it did have a toolkit.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    So being a newspaper editor only takes two hours a week?
  • Options
    Dadge said:

So being a newspaper editor only takes two hours a week?

With the rise of AI....only a matter of time until it is a zero hour contract job.
  • Options
    Trump to Merkel: We were both wiretapped under Obama

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39310801
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

"At least we have something in common, perhaps."

Crickey...sounds like they are really hitting it off.

I have to say I am surprised there wasn't more reporting on the fact the German's spied on people like BBC journos.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

?
    I'm 80% in stocks, 20% in government bonds.

But people in their 60s will have their funds mostly in bonds. Which are stagnant as all fuck and have been for years.
    My point is that it is unfair, arrogant and frankly silly to dismiss average investors as "unsophisticated" for not wanting to be all in equities. I appreciate it wasn't you saying that.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

"At least we have something in common, perhaps."

Crickey...sounds like they are really hitting it off.

I have to say I am surprised there wasn't more reporting on the fact the German's spied on people like BBC journos.
    Of course one possible reaction to a spying service indignantly denying that it spied on X Y or Z is "well why the feck not, what do you think you are paid to do?" Trump is not reporting things which come as a shock and a surprise to him, merely disregarding the convention on talking about this stuff.
  • Options
    Surely a work of art to grace @malcomg's drawing room in a upcoming sale at Lyon & Turnbull in Edinburgh .... :smiley:

http://auctions.lyonandturnbull.com/auction-lot-detail/JAMES-ALICK-RIDDEL-(SCOTTISH-1857-1928)-THE-TURNIP-HARVEST-3/487++++++153+/++215571
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So Trump thinks that Germany has a trade deal with the US and that the UK spied on him for Obama. I wonder if even among the swivel-eyed Atlanticist right there is a dawning realisation that we are not going to bestriding the world with the US once we have left the EU.

Trump invited May before Merkel for a reason but as the new Mori makes clear we voted Leave to gain control of immigration not to stride around the world as the US mini me

Yep - May's rush to Washington DC to prostrate herself and her country at Donald Trump's feet looks increasingly foolish; as do her remarks about the US and the UK leading the world.

Her tougher stance on immigration though is what the public really want, her relationship with Trump is a side issue for most voters

For now.

Over 60% wanting immigration controls is pretty conclusive

For now.

If you think any government will get away with leaving free movement unchecked after the Brexit vote you have got your head in the sand
    Why? There was no manifesto explaining what Brexit meant. It could as easily mean membership of the single market and free movement of people.
    You obviously have not read the Mori poll out this evening I posted earlier. 61% want immigration control, compared to 43% who want single market access and 43% want no further contributions to the EU budget. Even in Scotland 57% put control of immigration as key, more than the 51% who put the single market as important
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/just-44-think-theresa-may-will-get-a-good-deal-on-brexit-a3492401.html
    Who cares what they want? Nothing to do with what Brexit will look like.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Their toddler, a girl, is now reportedly looked after by her 28-year-old grandmother while the teenage mother attends school.

28 year old grand mother?!!!!!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Her tougher stance on immigration though is what the public really want, her relationship with Trump is a side issue for most voters

For now.

For now.

If you think any government will get away with leaving free movement unchecked after the Brexit vote you have got your head in the sand
    Why? There was no manifesto explaining what Brexit meant. It could as easily mean membership of the single market and free movement of people.
    You obviously have not read the Mori poll out this evening I posted earlier. 61% want immigration control, compared to 43% who want single market access and 43% want no further contributions to the EU budget. Even in Scotland 57% put control of immigration as key, more than the 51% who put the single market as important
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/just-44-think-theresa-may-will-get-a-good-deal-on-brexit-a3492401.html
    I think HYUFD is saying people won't be best impressed if freedom of movement is left unchecked, which is supported by the finding in that poll.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2017
    Pong said:

Pong said:

I blame the Sarah Beeny type shows that dominated TV schedules for a decade and a half.

"Mr and Mrs Smith bought the house for £100k, put a bit of plaster on the walls and now it's worth £200k, aren't they clever!?"

House prices historically have been a lot more volatile than people think - it has not been the case in recent decades that they have automatically been a good investment.

http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/2017/02/21/comment/chris-dillow/housing-risk-Hpk00ii6QyvUCrS3rKVkJL/article.html
    That's a great article.
    Chris Dillow is excellent.

I always found it strange that a committed Marxist writes for the Investors Chronicle!

But aside from not straying into political point-making, his output there is actually very similar in tone and philosophy to his personal blog, http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/

There are economics folk whose writing differs markedly between mediums - Paul Krugman's NYT polemical columns are not only miles apart in tone from his more measured textbooks, but often flatly contradict each other, with "finely balanced arguments" on both sides of an issue being reduced to "as any fule can see" when blogger-mode is engaged.

Dillow isn't one of them.

Somewhere or another (possibly TIm Worstall's blog) I've seen him give a spirited defence of Marx's Labour Theory of Value as a serious, practical tool for economic analysis, while explaining why his political philosophy was compatible (indeed, he thought useful) with his apparently capitalist day-job.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

For now.

For now.

I think HYUFD is saying people won't be best impressed if freedom of movement is left unchecked, which is supported by the finding in that poll.
    Who cares? There was no Brexit manifesto so Brexit can mean anything the government wants it to.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

For now.

For now.

Governments tend to care what people want.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    nunu said:

Their toddler, a girl, is now reportedly looked after by her 28-year-old grandmother while the teenage mother attends school.

Most people in my family are grandparents between 30 and 35, so I don't regard 28 as particularly remarkable - though it's obviously sad. My nan was a great-grandma by her 40s.

I haven't managed to sprog yet. I'm obviously a late-comer.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

nunu said:

Most people in my family are grandparents between 30 and 35, so I don't regard 28 as particularly remarkable - though it's obviously sad. My nan was a great-grandma by her 40s.

I haven't managed to sprog yet. I'm obviously a late-comer.
    Are you a rabbit?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

For now.

For now.

Rubbish. Governments are elected at GEs by 25-35% of the population.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

For now.

For now.

They also need to get re-elected and more people voted Leave than for any party since 1945
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

For now.

For now.

Non voters don't count under any system so already your figure is dishonest. Use Honest figures.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

For now.

For now.

Non voters don't count under any system so already your figure is dishonest. Use Honest figures.
    Surely even you get the point.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Is your tongue going to be permanently blocked up GO's back entrance ?is there something that GO could do to flip you to at least critiquing him in a rational way?
    Pulpstar said:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Pulpstar said:

Next 1922 committee meeting will be interesting. Will Osborne be invited ?

It would be very brave for the Tories to excommunicate Osborne in parliament. He would quickly become a figure around whom centrist opposition would coalesce.
    A problem for the Standard is that it will be difficult to do their usual "we will ponder and weigh up" thing about any elections in London - the Mayoral issue is settled for a while, butg borough elections are coming. Ozzy's colleeagues will jump on him if the paper is anything less than slavishly supportive of the Tories. But being slavishly Tory in inner London (which is where most people pick it up) is not going to go down well with readers.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,754
    Oh how the Remoaners cheered Merkel for 'wisely biding her time' (truth, Trump didn't return her calls) while May 'blundered' in Washington:

The moment passed and its embarrassment washed over the chancellor’s face. This was a man who, after all, held hands with Theresa May – the messenger of Brexit. Merkel, the embodiment of European unity, could not even get a perfunctory shake.....

Trump smiled broadly; Merkel did not. She remained stony-faced to that and his jibes about trade and defence.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/17/angela-merkel-donald-trump-sketch
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,754
    Indyref2:

Well, I’m glad that’s over and we can all get on with our lives, undisturbed by the prospect of a two-year campaign leading to indyRef2.

Launched on Monday, sunk on Thursday – a mercifully short voyage.

Nicola Sturgeon’s unlikely success in allowing a Tory Prime Minister to speak for the great Scottish majority – who did not want to kick off another referendum, 30 months after the last one – is unlikely to be looked back on as her finest hour.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/brian-wilson-thank-goodness-the-four-day-war-is-over-1-4394217/amp
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,010

Indyref2:

Well, I’m glad that’s over and we can all get on with our lives, undisturbed by the prospect of a two-year campaign leading to indyRef2.

Launched on Monday, sunk on Thursday – a mercifully short voyage.

Nicola Sturgeon’s unlikely success in allowing a Tory Prime Minister to speak for the great Scottish majority – who did not want to kick off another referendum, 30 months after the last one – is unlikely to be looked back on as her finest hour.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/brian-wilson-thank-goodness-the-four-day-war-is-over-1-4394217/amp

Even by your standrads this is a low, a Tory exile down to quoting this madman.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

Pulpstar said:

Next 1922 committee meeting will be interesting. Will Osborne be invited ?

It would be very brave for the Tories to excommunicate Osborne in parliament. He would quickly become a figure around whom centrist opposition would coalesce.
    A problem for the Standard is that it will be difficult to do their usual "we will ponder and weigh up" thing about any elections in London - the Mayoral issue is settled for a while, butg borough elections are coming. Ozzy's colleeagues will jump on him if the paper is anything less than slavishly supportive of the Tories. But being slavishly Tory in inner London (which is where most people pick it up) is not going to go down well with readers.
    What is it at the moment? A candid friend? I've always thought that it's on the right. It is strange in a way that the only London paper is on the right. If newspapers weren't in terminal decline there might be a gap in the market.
This discussion has been closed.