Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks as though those who bet that the PVV wouldn’t do it i

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Daily Express still writing temperatures in Fahrenheit? So out of touch.

Perhaps when we LEAVE the EU we'll return to using Farenheit? And feet, inches, pounds, etc...?

;)
    Lots of people still do use feet, inches and pounds – I do in general conversation. I can honestly say that I haven't heard Fahrenheit spoken of by an Englishman for as long as I can remember. I'd guess that a large proportion of the population would have no idea what 65F was without converting it.
    It is the perfect example of the media and their love of extremes. They will happily talk about sub zero.temperatures in centigrade but just as happily switch to 90s or 100s Fahrenheit when talking about high temperatures. Anything to make it sound more extreme.

I think a lot of folk do the same. I certainly do.

I can't remember what I was taught in school, but I operate almost exclusively in Imperial measurements. Below zero is just about the only exception, along with litres of petrol for the car.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Bojabob said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Scott_P said:
    May melts in face of bad headlines from right wing press. Weak, weak, weak.

She is an incredibly weak PM. I am now of the view that she has not an original thought, notion or idea of her own. Corbyn is her right-hand man. Without him, she'd be nothing.
    Although I am sceptical of this u turn generally I think she is on the right path, she thinks things through, is calculating and is ready to respect the Brexit vote without going as far as the hardest Brexiteers (despite what some Remoaners on here may think), polling wise she is also in a very strong position and the idea Sir Keith Starmer is Labour's Messiah and if he took over it would be Blair 1997 all over again is absurd, he is not even a Kinnock let alone a Blair. Chuka Ummuna is probably Labour's best bet but he certainly won't run until Labour have lost the next general election
    Sir Keith Starmer is certainly a dark horse. I've not come across him before.
    I think there is a reason for that
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Amsterdam results in. Massive swing against PvdA.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Amsterdam votes GreenLeft

Turnout down, GL will be disappointed not to make more hay where the sun shines
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/wsj/status/842145686992916481

5...4....3...2...1.....twitter meltdown....
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Perhaps when we LEAVE the EU we'll return to using Farenheit? And feet, inches, pounds, etc...?

;)
    Lots of people still do use feet, inches and pounds – I do in general conversation. I can honestly say that I haven't heard Fahrenheit spoken of by an Englishman for as long as I can remember. I'd guess that a large proportion of the population would have no idea what 65F was without converting it.
    Virtually everyone uses feet, inches, and pounds. In my experience Fahrenheit is pretty widely used.
    Interesting. As I say, the imperial system in general is indeed widely used – more so than metric, I would say – but the exception to that in my experience is Fahrenheit.
    It's a mix but I think there's a slow drift to metric. I don't know the last time I heard fluid ounces used, rather than ml, for example. Pints, yes, but only within the context of milk, beer or the like. Fahrenheit seems to be another that's dropping out of usage.

Length and weight is mix and match. No-one knows how tall or heavy they are in metric, yet most people are comfortable using grams, kg, metres and cm.
    Which is odd because cm are the worst of all possible worlds. The building and technical trades use only millimetres, which really should be what children are taught in at school. Centimetres have the imprecision of inches without their instant-comprehension advantages. Someone at work asked me the other day how many millimetres were in a metre...
  • Options
    PVV is the largest party in Rotterdam Dutch TV reporting, Rotterdam is the second biggest city in the Netherlands
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/mar/15/dutch-election-voters-go-to-the-polls-in-the-netherlands-live
  • Options
    Current projection

VVD 33
    CDA 18
    D66 20

Short of a majority

PvdA 9
    PVV 21
    GL 16
    SP 15
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)
    It is the perfect example of the media and their love of extremes. They will happily talk about sub zero.temperatures in centigrade but just as happily switch to 90s or 100s Fahrenheit when talking about high temperatures. Anything to make it sound more extreme.

I can't remember what I was taught in school, but I operate almost exclusively in Imperial measurements. Below zero is just about the only exception, along with litres of petrol for the car.

With my foreign background I tend to think in metric, but I don't really care. What is daft is that we've stopped halfway - e.g. we get petrol in litres, but we're told that cars drive X miles per gallon. For young people that's a purely abstract concept since they (like me) have little idea what a gallon is.

But Richard's point is right anyway - the media love to use whatever sounds most extreme/dangerous/challenging. "Wilders in Netherlands might get 15% but probably won't" isn't going to sell many papers. The trick is not to bet on that sort of impression, as so many people seem to have done.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

Wilders having no party for PVV and is holed up at Parliament in the Hague.

With a Walther PPK & couple of alsatians?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)
    Virtually everyone uses feet, inches, and pounds. In my experience Fahrenheit is pretty widely used.
    Interesting. As I say, the imperial system in general is indeed widely used – more so than metric, I would say – but the exception to that in my experience is Fahrenheit.
    It's a mix but I think there's a slow drift to metric. I don't know the last time I heard fluid ounces used, rather than ml, for example. Pints, yes, but only within the context of milk, beer or the like. Fahrenheit seems to be another that's dropping out of usage.

Length and weight is mix and match. No-one knows how tall or heavy they are in metric, yet most people are comfortable using grams, kg, metres and cm.
    I only know my weight in kg.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

HYUFD said:

Bojabob said:

Scott_P said:
    May melts in face of bad headlines from right wing press. Weak, weak, weak.

She is an incredibly weak PM. I am now of the view that she has not an original thought, notion or idea of her own. Corbyn is her right-hand man. Without him, she'd be nothing.
    Although I am sceptical of this u turn generally I think she is on the right path, she thinks things through, is calculating and is ready to respect the Brexit vote without going as far as the hardest Brexiteers (despite what some Remoaners on here may think), polling wise she is also in a very strong position and the idea Sir Keith Starmer is Labour's Messiah and if he took over it would be Blair 1997 all over again is absurd, he is not even a Kinnock let alone a Blair. Chuka Ummuna is probably Labour's best bet but he certainly won't run until Labour have lost the next general election
    Sir Keith Starmer is certainly a dark horse. I've not come across him before.
    I think there is a reason for that
    Indeed there is.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013

O/T workshop at Luton Hoo today - in the Gents above every urinal there are beautifully framed Matt cartoons...

THAT is how you define a place with class...

Got some odd looks mind you working my way round.

Piss artist?
    Too high up I'd hope
    This is a conversation that won't end well.
    It will end in a piss off I imagine.
    As is Scrapheap and I would ever engage in some oneupmanship :lol:
    Correct - plain childishness. We rise above such flippery.

BTW many congratulations on your current Fantasy League position and Liverpool's too - jolly well done.
    How long is Harry Kane going to be out for ?
    Too long - 5th beckons for my boys unless Vincent reinvents himself from Bobby Sol 2 to someone more adept with a banjo/barn door.
    Well Liverpool are the Premier League's leading goalscorers and we've played the season without a recognised striker.
    Nor any recognised defence.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)
    I don't think that's true any more. The electronic media seem to have largely dropped Fahrenheit even for high temperatures and with most electronic thermometers in cars or wherever reading only in Celsius, the imperial unit is going the way of the red squirrel. 30C is the new very hot, not 90F.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

Yes, it's odd how the metric system has never taken off (beyond the technical/construction trades, which as I post below use exclusively mm for lengths not the cm that children are taught in school).

Someone was trying to claim to me recently that Britain was "fully metric" – I pointed out that its road signs are in imperial, as are the measurements of its most popular drinks. "Oh those are exceptions," he said. Road signage is quite an exception!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    rcs1000 said:

Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

6'1 and 105 kg here.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Asking for a friend, is this line too much for an upcoming PB thread header?

'As ironic as getting your girlfriend pregnant on your pull out sofa bed'

Well, it's like that incredibly annoying song about ironic things which turn out on two seconds thought not to be ironic at all. Also difficult to envisage the circumstances in which it would happen, why would you be impregnating anyone on your own sofa bed? Why would the principal bedroom not be available to you?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

With my foreign background I tend to think in metric, but I don't really care. What is daft is that we've stopped halfway - e.g. we get petrol in litres, but we're told that cars drive X miles per gallon. For young people that's a purely abstract concept since they (like me) have little idea what a gallon is.

But Richard's point is right anyway - the media love to use whatever sounds most extreme/dangerous/challenging. "Wilders in Netherlands might get 15% but probably won't" isn't going to sell many papers. The trick is not to bet on that sort of impression, as so many people seem to have done.
    We only really switched from gallons to litres of petrol because that made the price number smaller and therefore psychologically for the forecourt buyer the rapid increases (at the time) seemed less scary.

And young people should have no problem knowing what a gallon is. They know what a pint is because they drink them. Standard Friday night, 8 pints .... one gallon. Simples.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

I lived in Spain for five years, but always had to translate metres, kilos and temperatures. Typical immigrant really, not assimilating. My fellow shareholders at work are a few years younger than me and are all fully metric. I think I must have been one of the last school years to do Imperial. I can remember the old money just about and having my sixpence pocket money turn into 2 1/2 new P!

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Strike 2 for the PVV

and 3.. these places have 2% of the population of Amsterdam, dammit!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    rcs1000 said:

Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

Same here. But I only know my height in feet.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,978

The MailOnline columnist Katie Hopkins has said it is “very likely” she will challenge a court ruling that she libelled food blogger Jack Monroe on Twitter.

Monroe was awarded £24,000 in damages last week in a row over tweets suggesting the writer approved of defacing a war memorial during an anti-austerity demonstration in Whitehall.

Speaking to the BBC’s Media Show on Wednesday, Hopkins said she was satisfied with her behaviour and that the defamation bar on Twitter “was as low as my labia”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/15/katie-hopkins-jack-monroe-libel-ruling-bbc-mailonline

The Daily Mail must be paying her more than Trump to his gold leaf supplier if she can afford to go for round 2.

I hate to say it, but isn't she actually guilty? The remarks were defamatory and inaccurate, the defamed could demonstrate reputational loss. Is this just recreational litigation by somebody with too much money?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

We only really switched from gallons to litres of petrol because that made the price number smaller and therefore psychologically for the forecourt buyer the rapid increases (at the time) seemed less scary.

And young people should have no problem knowing what a gallon is. They know what a pint is because they drink them. Standard Friday night, 8 pints .... one gallon. Simples.
    Yes, it's odd (but true) that everyones uses pints but very few younger people realise that eight pints make a gallon.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

6'1 and 105 kg here.
    16 1/2 stone?!
  • Options

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)
    I don't think that's true any more. The electronic media seem to have largely dropped Fahrenheit even for high temperatures and with most electronic thermometers in cars or wherever reading only in Celsius, the imperial unit is going the way of the red squirrel. 30C is the new very hot, not 90F.
    90F is hotter! :)
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

6'1 and 105 kg here.
    16 1/2 stone?!
    Roughly
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)
    90F is hotter! :)
    Yes. It has the helpful side-effect of enabling more headlines.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Well, it's like that incredibly annoying song about ironic things which turn out on two seconds thought not to be ironic at all. Also difficult to envisage the circumstances in which it would happen, why would you be impregnating anyone on your own sofa bed? Why would the principal bedroom not be available to you?
    You just fancy a change of scenery?
  • Options
    Latest projections on https://lfverkiezingen.appspot.com/nos/widget/main.html

show VVD 33, CDA 25, D66 18 giving a bare majority for the coalition.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Ugh, just come back in to see this National Insurance u-turn. Just when I was starting to feel quite positive about May's government on domestic policies.

The Brexit "negotiations" are going to be an ABSOLUTE car crash, if this is how soft she is under pressure.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

The young drink jagerbombs, not pints. Litres are at least consistent; it took me a long time in the States to realise that my petrol tank was not quite as amazingly capacious as it appeared at first blush to be.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Same here. But I only know my height in feet.

I know my weight in stone and kg, but I always use stones because the number is smaller and I don't feel as fat.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

The young drink jagerbombs, not pints. Litres are at least consistent; it took me a long time in the States to realise that my petrol tank was not quite as amazingly capacious as it appeared at first blush to be.
    Jaegerbombs are soooooo 2013
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    The new maths GCSE (first exams this year, the previous syllabus is no longer available even for resits) no longer includes imperial units, or their conversions (imperial-imperial or imperial-metric). Up to last year, students were meant to know how many inches in a foot and roughly how many centimetres each were, for example. The young'uns' comprehension of "parental units" is going to wane some more as a result.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

But without googling, would you know how much a bushel holds, what the area of a rood is, or how long a barleycorn is? They're all in the imperial family of measurements.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Ugh, just come back in to see this National Insurance u-turn. Just when I was starting to feel quite positive about May's government on domestic policies.

The Brexit "negotiations" are going to be an ABSOLUTE car crash, if this is how soft she is under pressure.

I almost crashed the car when the talking head said "until Hammond does another unpopular measure".

The measure was NOT unpopular. One thing I like about Trump is is never ever swayed by a few bad headlines.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Ishmael_Z said:

So do it on the floor? Pretty wobbly, them sofa beds.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Barnesian said:

Changed again.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

6'1 and 105 kg here.
    BMI 31.0 Hmm
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Changed again.
    CDA 25 is not on the cards. Indeed such is the shuffling between coalition parties, it seems guaranteed that the preferred VVC CDA D66 coalition will be short.

The main problem with adding the CA is that 78/150 is not a working majority.
  • Options

The new maths GCSE (first exams this year, the previous syllabus is no longer available even for resits) no longer includes imperial units, or their conversions (imperial-imperial or imperial-metric). Up to last year, students were meant to know how many inches in a foot and roughly how many centimetres each were, for example. The young'uns' comprehension of "parental units" is going to wane some more as a result.

Centimetres are barely used outside schools and Ikea. Clothing, road signage, beer, people's heights and weights etc are all measured in imperial. The construction, DIY and technical industries all use millimetres only. Schools should use as their standard unit, not centimetres. If a builder says something is 600 it's 0.6m not 6m.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    viewcode said:

The MailOnline columnist Katie Hopkins has said it is “very likely” she will challenge a court ruling that she libelled food blogger Jack Monroe on Twitter.

Monroe was awarded £24,000 in damages last week in a row over tweets suggesting the writer approved of defacing a war memorial during an anti-austerity demonstration in Whitehall.

Speaking to the BBC’s Media Show on Wednesday, Hopkins said she was satisfied with her behaviour and that the defamation bar on Twitter “was as low as my labia”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/15/katie-hopkins-jack-monroe-libel-ruling-bbc-mailonline

The Daily Mail must be paying her more than Trump to his gold leaf supplier if she can afford to go for round 2.

I hate to say it, but isn't she actually guilty? The remarks were defamatory and inaccurate, the defamed could demonstrate reputational loss. Is this just recreational litigation by somebody with too much money?
    It does seem from a bystander's perspective that this is the definition of libel. As you say, there is no claim that her tweets were actually accurate and the suggestion that they weren't very negative is laughable. They were very public, etc etc.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

6'1 and 105 kg here.
    BMI 31.0 Hmm
    Well alot of Focus to deliver coming up.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

But without googling, would you know how much a bushel holds, what the area of a rood is, or how long a barleycorn is? They're all in the imperial family of measurements.
    Well a bushel is 8 gallons ... as we got here from 8 pints to a gallon you'd expect me to know that. Four roods to an acre; quarters. Can't remember a barleycorn but as its a shoe measurement it's going to be half, third or quarter inch.
  • Options
    The SGP I see oppose universal suffrage!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Bojabob said:

Ishmael_Z said:

So do it on the floor? Pretty wobbly, them sofa beds.
    They also always seem to have a bar that rides up in the middle rendering them decidedly uncomfortable. Hardly romantic but each consenting adult to their own.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Although I disagree it was the manifesto commitment she decided to stick to, the negotiations are a different matter
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    What chance a minority government before the summer then?
  • Options
    Keiran's correct: the right wing, anti-EU press want Hammond gone. No doubt May will make it happen.
    https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/842151225663619072
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Although I disagree it was the manifesto commitment she decided to stick to, the negotiations are a different matter
    Bollocks to the manifesto commitment, that was broken last year when contracted out NICs were raised to 12% but the asleep press seem not to have noticed.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2017
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

But the point is that it's shown how unwilling she is to face down ANY kind of criticism from Tory backbenchers or right-wing papers. What does that say about her ability to make even the SMALLEST of give-and-take from the British side in the Brexit negotiations (which, like in any negotiation, is going to be essential if you want to get to a deal).
  • Options

@peter_from_putney

First PVV win!

Yep!

That's 1 of my 5 in the "White Rabbit Special" market. Simpleveld, in Limburg.

Also 2 northern ones for CDA.

14/388 now in.

Quite a few party leaders have now appeared at their election night do's - Rutte, Pechtold, Klaver all in last 20-30 mins or so.

Wilders having no party for PVV and is holed up at Parliament in the Hague.
    Right, that's five out of five.

Although the site is colouring them light blue, you are still the superior psephologist and I hereby apologise for even suggesting that the PVV might struggle to win five "constituencies".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Did May not see the Budget before it went out?
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Bollocks to the manifesto commitment, that was broken last year when contracted out NICs were raised to 12% but the asleep press seem not to have noticed.
    I don't disagree, of course if this is the start of a new trend by May we will be staying in the single market as per the manifesto so they should not complain too much!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Chris_A said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

The rate didn't change at all. A rebate was lost. Not the same thing.
  • Options

Keiran's correct: the right wing, anti-EU press want Hammond gone. No doubt May will make it happen.

She won't, who is she going to replace him with? He is still a May loyalist
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Bojabob said:

GIN1138 said:

;)

6'1 and 105 kg here.
    BMI 31.0 Hmm
    Well alot of Focus to deliver coming up.
    That's my motivation too - as well as changing the world.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

To save time, May should put reps from the Mail, Express, Telegraph and Sun on the Brexit negotiating team so that they can pass on instructions from the editors' offices.

• Options

As someone on Team Hammond, I'm going to have start churning out some pro-Hammond pieces.

I think my first piece will be 'Hammond, our finest Chancellor since Osborne'

No higher praise than that.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 725
    Chris_A said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

The end of contracting-out was all part of Steve Webb's pension reforms in the 2010-2015 Parliament, so that was all baked in before the election.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

As someone on Team Hammond, I'm going to have start churning out some pro-Hammond pieces.

I think my first piece will be 'Hammond, our finest Chancellor since Osborne'

No higher praise than that.
    https://twitter.com/montie/status/842152117490089984
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    My final projection

VVD 33
    CDA 20
    D66 17

gives 70, 6 short of a majority.

PvdA 9
    PVV 21
    GL 14
    SP 14

20/1 on Rutte NOT being the next PM is worth your 50p I think.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

It is because this one effected journalists and some MPs personally I think. Absolubtely sickening, I know.
  • Options
    CDA 120 £17.00

Best value loser of the day looking like.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

May will take instructions from the appropriate newspapers.

• Options
    tim80tim80 Posts: 99
    HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

I don't disagree, of course if this is the start of a new trend by May we will be staying in the single market as per the manifesto so they should not complain too much!
    This claim by a few that the Conservatives are somehow breaking their manifesto by withdrawing from the single market is tiresome, though a psychologist could perhaps help explain why some genuinely seem to believe it.

The Manifesto was perfectly clear that there would be a referendum on EU membership. In a number of places the manifesto talks about what UK policy is within the EU and single market - nothing out of the ordinary, just bog standard stuff about 'defending British interests' etc. Fine. The Manifesto did not say "We will stay in the single market even if the UK leaves the EU." It simply spoke about the policies the UK would pursue within the single market which was perfectly sensible as a) we were (are) in the SM and b) the Government's preference was to stay in it.

If any of the people pushing this line of argument can find a single voter - just one - who expressed a view prior to GE15 that the Conservative Manifesto says we would stay in the single market even if we left the EU I would be astonished.
  • Options

My final projection

VVD 33
    CDA 20
    D66 17

gives 70, 6 short of a majority.

PvdA 9
    PVV 21
    GL 14
    SP 14

20/1 on Rutte NOT being the next PM is worth your 50p I think.

Anyway the PVV are up to 6 districts now...

Think PvdA may win 0.
  • Options
    I see the exit poll suggests that young people were heavily Green Left, as one iht expect, rather than Wilders, as some predicted. Wilders' support comes mainly from the middle-aged and to a larger extent than any other party from those with low educational qualifications. The liberal pro-EU D66 and Green Left do best among he highest-educated, but badly among the low-educated. The PvdA (centrist Labour) is heavily dominated by the elderly.- half their vote is over 65.

In other words, another country where the centre-right wins, the radical left beats the centre-left, and the far right and centre-left are squeezed. France is going to be exactly the same, Germany maybe not.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

CDA 120 £17.00

I'm CDA £2 @ 1000 but I've also laid £2 @ 500 so it won't be a loser, but not a winner either.

I've laid another £4 @ 200 but not taken up.
  • Options

I see the exit poll suggests that young people were heavily Green Left, as one iht expect, rather than Wilders, as some predicted. Wilders' support comes mainly from the middle-aged and to a larger extent than any other party from those with low educational qualifications. The liberal pro-EU D66 and Green Left do best among he highest-educated, but badly among the low-educated. The PvdA (centrist Labour) is heavily dominated by the elderly.- half their vote is over 65.

In other words, another country where the centre-right wins, the radical left beats the centre-left, and the far right and centre-left are squeezed. France is going to be exactly the same, Germany maybe not.

Macron is centrist not centre right I think, in France the far right is beating the centre right at the moment and the centre left still just ahead of the far left (albeit Hamon and Melenchon are pretty close).

Your point on education is correct, the Dutch election is identical to the US election and EU referendum on this point at least, the fewer your level of educational qualifications the more likely you are to have voted for Wilders/Trump/Leave and the higher your level of educational qualifications the more likely you are to have voted for centrist Dutch parties/Hillary/Remain
  • Options

You think Hamon will beat Macron? Interesting.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Which newspapers though? The Times will want a more moderate Brexit than the Mail and Express for example
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

CDA 120 £17.00

I'm CDA £2 @ 1000 but I've also laid £2 @ 500 so it won't be a loser, but not a winner either.

I've laid another £4 @ 200 but not taken up.
    I have a green 402.13 under the VVD, which is nice. Main regret as ever is that I should have laid the PVV for more. But if you have that regret every political betting event its not a bad position to be in.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

HYUFD said:

Just because your leader's rubbish doesn't mean the Tory one has to be rubbish too......we could always, oh, I don't know.....look at the polls?

Hammond is going nowhere. If May wanted to distance herself from him they wouldn't have been sitting together in the HoC yesterday. The story is over. Buried.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

You're classier than that.
    You must be new here...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Which newspapers though? The Times will want a more moderate Brexit than the Mail and Express for example

Not the Times, clearly! May craves positive headlines in the Mail, Express, Sun and Telegraph. They'll tell her what to do.

• Options
    tim80 said:

HYUFD said:

Chris_A said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

This claim by a few that the Conservatives are somehow breaking their manifesto by withdrawing from the single market is tiresome, though a psychologist could perhaps help explain why some genuinely seem to believe it.

The Manifesto was perfectly clear that there would be a referendum on EU membership. In a number of places the manifesto talks about what UK policy is within the EU and single market - nothing out of the ordinary, just bog standard stuff about 'defending British interests' etc. Fine. The Manifesto did not say "We will stay in the single market even if the UK leaves the EU." It simply spoke about the policies the UK would pursue within the single market which was perfectly sensible as a) we were (are) in the SM and b) the Government's preference was to stay in it.

If any of the people pushing this line of argument can find a single voter - just one - who expressed a view prior to GE15 that the Conservative Manifesto says we would stay in the single market even if we left the EU I would be astonished.
    I accept the Leave win made leaving the single market inevitable given the anti immigration tone of the Leave campaign, however we know that May is likely to go for a job offer requirement and limited EU budget contributions to try for a limited trade deal. True hardcore Leavers want a points system, no more EU budget contributions and WTO terms if necessary, that is where she differs from the ultra Brexiteers even if most Remainers think she has gone too far already
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not the Times, clearly! May craves positive headlines in the Mail, Express, Sun and Telegraph. They'll tell her what to do.

Telegraph I reckon.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Just because your leader's rubbish doesn't mean the Tory one has to be rubbish too......we could always, oh, I don't know.....look at the polls?

Hammond is going nowhere. If May wanted to distance herself from him they wouldn't have been sitting together in the HoC yesterday. The story is over. Buried.

In a fight between a lighweight mediocrity and a featherweight incompetent who won't raise his gloves, the lighweight mediocrity will win every single time.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Macron is centrist not centre right I think, in France the far right is beating the centre right at the moment and the centre left still just ahead of the far left (albeit Hamon and Melenchon are pretty close).

Your point on education is correct, the Dutch election is identical to the US election and EU referendum on this point at least, the fewer your level of educational qualifications the more likely you are to have voted for Wilders/Trump/Leave and the higher your level of educational qualifications the more likely you are to have voted for centrist Dutch parties/Hillary/Remain
    Yes the international evidence now suggests that the thicker you are, the more likely you are to be a racist. In other shock news from Europe, snow seen on top of Alps.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

CDA 120 £17.00

Talking of value losers I have taken Leicester at 46 on Betfair to win the European Cup.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

CDA 120 £17.00

Talking of value losers I have taken Leicester at 46 on Betfair to win the European Cup.
    I have a match bet with my friend that Leicester will get further in the European cup than England will in the next world cup. Can't remember the stake though, somewhere between £5 and £20 I think !
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

HYUFD said:

Yes the international evidence now suggests that the thicker you are, the more likely you are to be a racist. In other shock news from Europe, snow seen on top of Alps.
    Well I did not say it was a surprise
  • Options
    Is there a betting market on the date Hammond ceases to be CotE?

He seems way too centre-left to be a senior member of this Cabinet and the Tory Press have already decided they want him out asap.
    In footballing parlance, he appears to have lost the dressing room.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yet even the Mail has not raised too many complaints about the job offer requirement May will offer, the prospect of some EU budget contributions may raise a few complaints but out of those papers only 1, the Express, backed UKIP at the last election, the others are not as ultra hardcore
  • Options

He seems way too centre-left to be a senior member of this Cabinet and the Tory Press have already decided they want him out asap.

As soon as Article 50 is invoked and reality bites Hammond's position will become stronger by the day
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    HYUFD said:

As soon as Article 50 is invoked and reality bites Hammond's position will become stronger by the day
    I see Hammond & May having shot the NICs fox (economically undesirable, but politically expedient) and putting on a united front yesterday some are scrabbling around for the next 'split' story......Hammond will be there this time next year......remind me, who is the Shadow Chancellor.....this week?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Thoughts are with Plato tonight :(
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    The Wilders win in Rotterdam - assuming there was a swing his way - goes against the idea that the Netherlands-Turkey problems harmed his chances.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I see Hammond & May having shot the NICs fox (economically undesirable, but politically expedient) and putting on a united front yesterday some are scrabbling around for the next 'split' story......Hammond will be there this time next year......remind me, who is the Shadow Chancellor.....this week?
    Agreed, goodnight
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Am I to assume from the headline 'BREAKING - VOORLOPIGE EXITPOLL' that the dutch have no word for Exit poll or even 'breaking', in the sense of news?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And yet some clearly want him gone, the fervour over a small change shows that. She'd find somebody, no doubt.

What I don't get is why some of the reports seem to to think only for Hammond is it a humiliation for Hammond to be forced into a u-turn by May. She's in charge, if he did a bad job it reflects on her even if she then got him to change position (and if it was in fact a reasonable move she signed off on and she has forced the change regardless, it reflects even less well on her than him).
  • Options
    Cyan said:

The Wilders win in Rotterdam - assuming there was a swing his way - goes against the idea that the Netherlands-Turkey problems harmed his chances.

Depends what you expected? He didn't win Rotterdam (the VVD did) though he came close, with 16.1%, up 2.8% on last time - much the same as the rest of the country.where he is up 2.9%. It's such a small country that I don't think there are isolated local factors. There isn't much doubt that the VVD profited from the Turkish dispute and it seems to have squeezed his support too.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Bojabob said:

Yes, it's odd (but true) that everyones uses pints but very few younger people realise that eight pints make a gallon.

Ten reams (Arabic origin) of paper - two boxes - make a bale (Germanic origin). A division into tenths but not Napoleonic at all. What more could you want?

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited March 2017
    kle4 said:

Am I to assume from the headline 'BREAKING - VOORLOPIGE EXITPOLL' that the dutch have no word for Exit poll or even 'breaking', in the sense of news?

Their language is littered with English and American English as a result of watching too much BBC Television from an early age .... it could be argued that they should be paying the licence fee.
    Why else do you suppose that the English spoken by Dutch football managers is better than say Arsene Wenger's who has been at Arsenal for over 20 years?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Their language is littered with English and American English as a result of watching too much BBC Television from an early age .... it could be argued that they should be paying the licence fee.
    Why else do you suppose that the English spoken by Dutch football managers is better than say Arsene Wenger's who has been at Arsenal for over 20 years?
    Good point.

Does remind me of a scene toward the end of Man in the High Castle on Amazon. A very well done angry speech in German, a great language for such things, where toward the end the phrase 'thousand-year reich' seems like it is pronounced in english for some reason, as though there is no german for 'thousand year'.
This discussion has been closed.