Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I am not playing budget bingo this year

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Obvious question: does the government have the votes to get the NI changes through?

Assuming a unified opposition, nope it only needs 8 MPs to rebel.

It depends how many Tory MPs get bombarded by the self employed in the next few days.
    The opposition won't be unified will it though, Sinn Fein won't be showing up for starters - so you'll need to revise your numbers slightly. Will the DUP manage a full turnout against ?
    The Tory majority is 12, becomes 16 with SF abstentions.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited March 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Obvious question: does the government have the votes to get the NI changes through?

It depends how many Tory MPs get bombarded by the self employed in the next few days.
    Are there restrictions on the HoC and/or HoL voting down stuff in Finance Bills?
    HoC can do what it wants. I don't think the Lords could vote down a budget.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Assuming a unified opposition
    So it'll be fine.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    notme said:

Bojabob said:

nunu said:

I thought it was already illegal to claim self-employed status if you do most of your work for one company.

Uber, Amazon etc etc? They all use "self employed" . no it is not illegal.
    Yes it is illegal as you would become ensnared by IR35 legislation – designed to stop 'freelancers' working for a single client.
    However, IR35 is a joke.

Yes, it didn't do much to stop those sellafield workers earning £150k a year, paying it into a Ltd company. Paying themselves minimum wage, claiming tax credits and dumping much of the rest into pension funds. Of course that last little wheeze has been done away with.
    it maybe illegal but it is not enforced e.g chuggers, network marketing etc all "self employed" people who work for one company/client.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    If they'd broken the manifesto pledge on an EU referendum, they could have kept their pledge on tax.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

If they'd broken the manifesto pledge on an EU referendum, they could have kept their pledge on tax.

A line they could take I suppose. We're prioritising taking some short term shocks from Brexit over sticking to our plan and ignoring Brexit.
  • Options

I don't think not holding the EU referendum would have cleared the deficit.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    RobD said:

I don't think not holding the EU referendum would have cleared the deficit.
    Are you suggesting their sums never added up to begin with?
  • Options
    New thread!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Bojabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Is the budget not a confidence motion?
    U-turns have been known in the past - cf cutting tax credits, disability benefit cuts.
    Shows weakness, although those hit people who weren't exactly rich. Quite rightly as you move up the income scale sympathy can and should evaporate.
    The White Van Tax will also hit lots of people who are far from rich*

*That is not to say it is an unfair measure, simply that it will have consequences and victims.
    I think overall it will be neutral or better for anyone at or below average earnings because Class 2 NICs are going away. It could almost be a Labour policy given how progressive the tax is on the income distribution scale. I think it will get a disproportionate amount of coverage because a lot of journalists work as "self employed" despite only writing for a single paper. They may get hit for £400-500 extra this year and again the year after.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    kle4 said:

Governments don't usually have the guts to say that was then, the situation is different now, so presumably it's either u turn incoming or they'll some how pretend this is not the same thing.
    Imagine the hysteria on here if Osborne had tried this...instead of Mrs May and her Chancellor.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319

Ishmael_Z said:

Are there restrictions on the HoC and/or HoL voting down stuff in Finance Bills?
    The Lords can't amend/hold up finance bills, but the Commons can.

In the days of yore, prior to the FTPA, a budget was a vote of confidence issue, now it ain't.
    What was Ozzy's tax-credit thing all about then? Or was that because it was from an Autumn Statement?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11954740/Tax-credits-Government-faces-defeat-in-the-House-of-Lords-live.html
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    rcs1000 said:

I don't see how 2.4% inflation and 2.0% real GDP growth work together. That implies 4.4% underlying income growth, before changes in net exports and gross capital formation. Now, net exports have been disappointing to date, largely thanks to both commodity price rises and declining oil & gas output. Gross capital formation looks likely to drop by about 0.3-0.5% of GDP in 2017 (and I think the risk is largely on the downside).

Together, that suggests that underlying income growth needs to be a little over 5%. That seems optimistic. My view is that income may accelerate slightly from 4%, but getting above 5% is extremely unlikely. (Certainly, it hasn't been achieved since 2007.) The world and the Eurozone economies are accelerating, which helps, but the OBR forecasts feel a little optimistic for this year.

rcs1000 said:

I don't see how 2.4% inflation and 2.0% real GDP growth work together. That implies 4.4% underlying income growth, before changes in net exports and gross capital formation. Now, net exports have been disappointing to date, largely thanks to both commodity price rises and declining oil & gas output. Gross capital formation looks likely to drop by about 0.3-0.5% of GDP in 2017 (and I think the risk is largely on the downside).

Together, that suggests that underlying income growth needs to be a little over 5%. That seems optimistic. My view is that income may accelerate slightly from 4%, but getting above 5% is extremely unlikely. (Certainly, it hasn't been achieved since 2007.) The world and the Eurozone economies are accelerating, which helps, but the OBR forecasts feel a little optimistic for this year.

Getting nervous Robert?

I think they must be assuming a significant improvement in the balance of payments. That may or may not be vindicated.
This discussion has been closed.