Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I am not playing budget bingo this year

Comments

• Options
    ChaosOdinChaosOdin Posts: 67
    What is Corbyn going about with children's funerals? I mean he is right the government doesn't currently pay for funerals (rightly so in my view), but how are they cutting support for these people if they don't already get any money?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735

The greatest political surprise from Hammond's budget is that there was at least as much micro-managing as in Osborne's budgets. A lot of small measures announced.

Indeed - it feels a bit 'no real change, but tinkering here there and everywhere to no great effect'. Am wondering if there's something big in the Red book that we've not seen yet?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

The greatest political surprise from Hammond's budget is that there was at least as much micro-managing as in Osborne's budgets. A lot of small measures announced.

I agree, £5m for this and £16m for that really don't deserve a mention when dealing with a £1.7trn economy.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    So when can we expect an army of IR35 tax-dodgers to march on Westminster?

(And then claim the cost of getting there as a business expense to offset tax)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

So what was the precise budget length ?

55 minutes 10 seconds or some such ?

Almost exactly in line with the bookies expectations.

Glad I didn't bet.

;)
    I landed both my spread and fixed odds bet :)

The 4-6 for over 50 looked wrong to me in particular - even if you accept 57 minutes as the midpoint.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I made it 55:02, but I missed the first few secs or so of the speech.
    Steward's enquiry needed maybe !
    Stoppage time for the interruption after his hand gestures should be deducted. ;)
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Pulpstar said:

I made it 55:02, but I missed the first few secs or so of the speech.
    SpIn round up to the nearest half-minute.
  • Options

Oh FFS - Food banks - would Corbyn rather the food went into landfill, like it did under Labour?

Corbyn is reading his speech obviously written before listening to the budget - 'crisis in job security' results in laughter at him.

Labour cannot go on like this
  • Options

Oh FFS - Food banks - would Corbyn rather the food went into landfill, like it did under Labour?

I think those of us on the left would prefer it if people could afford to feed themselves.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    HYUFD said:

No precisely the opposite, NI contributions should be more linked to welfare, pensions and care entitlements

Even if you think they should be linked they aren't so now, which is why it is such a stupid tax.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Has Corbyn actually made any reference to anything that has been announced?

Was he even in the house for the speech??
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

It's just a rant - all angry and rambling. I've no interest in listening any more.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

No precisely the opposite, NI contributions should be more linked to welfare, pensions and care entitlements

Even if you think they should be linked they aren't so now, which is why it is such a stupid tax.
    They are to the extent state pension entitlement is linked to it as entitlement to contributory JSA is linked to NIC contributions,the more it becomes like an insurance than a tax the better
  • Options
    Corbyn now repealing trade union act - for goodness sake someone put him out of his misery
  • Options
    Corbyn's found a bandwagon - http://www.waspi.co.uk/
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2017
    The NIC rise is toxic.

May and Hammond have a mandate problem.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Has no-one ever listened to a LOTO's budget response before? Any connection to the actual budget is purely coincidental since it was written before the budget speech and before the shadow treasury team has audited the red book.
  • Options
    Pong said:

The NIC stuff is toxic.

https://twitter.com/rosschawkins/status/839465342464327680
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Several gimmicks in there. Perhaps cheerleaders can explain where GP's to triage in A+E, and teachers to teach technical subjects in Colleges are to come from? 2 groups we are already short of.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Pong said:

The NIC stuff is toxic.

Agree on the mandate, but how many self-employed workers earning more than £15k (those that will be impacted by this) are there?
  • Options
    Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

Where are the self employed going to go ?

Corbyn xD ?!
  • Options
    ChaosOdinChaosOdin Posts: 67
    Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

They are nothing compared to the changes to dividend tax last year. I suspect they will be soon forgotten.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    HYUFD said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

The solution is obvious. NI should be abolished and IT increased to compensate. So many different unfair differentials removed at a stroke.

I agree with that. NI conjures up visions amongst the public — their own personal pot of gold at the Bank of England — that are completely wrong. Getting rid of it would be a fairer way of taxing income, simpler to administer, and have fewer anomalies.
    So perhaps abolish NI and bring in a Social Security Tax [or I prefer the word Contributions]. It would be hypothecated to pay for state pensions, unemployed insurance, disability living alliwance, a basic income once we have have one, et al. It's paid on all income above the tax threshold of ~£11k and it's paid by persons of all ages with no upper limit.

We could also have a Health and Social Care Tax [or Contributions] to fund the integrated NHS and social care system. Again, payable on all income above the threshold.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Disappointing there was nothing on discouraging diesel.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    "There is nothing funny about workers being on zero hours contract" says the Leader of the Oppostion.

Except we know, a) a large proportion get paid very well and b) agency work (cause that is what it is) is not unpopular.

The big problem with ZHC was when it was legal for firms to demand exclusivity. Which I believe is now not allowed.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

Rubbish. A death tax really would have been toxic and certainly broken a manifesto commitment, getting the self employed to pay NICs to pay for their social care is entirely sensible
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,799
    DavidL said:

£2bn for Social Care over 3 years with £1bn over the next year. One of the bigger announcements.

It will be needed when all those low wage EU nationals propping up the services leave...
  • Options
    Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

The vast majority of people are on PAYE and many have never received a direct dividend in their life.

Lots of journos are freelancers, of course.

This looks like a reasonable and gradual change - and allied to the abolition of Class II NICs I believe Hammond said anyone under 60k would be better off [in strictly NIC terms]?
  • Options

Has no-one ever listened to a LOTO's budget response before? Any connection to the actual budget is purely coincidental since it was written before the budget speech and before the shadow treasury team has audited the red book.

But they normally at least pretend to have heard the speech.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Animal_pb said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely not. NI was set up to pay for welfare, pensions and healthcare, social care is exactly what it should be paying for

By that reasoning the revenue from income tax should be exclusively devoted to fighting the French.
    Well, if Brexit goes really badly, it may well be again. :)

Please, people, perspective. UK gov raises £200bn (ish) off income tax. How much would it take to beat the French; few million, tops? That's a *lot* of tax refunds.
    Well, it's not just beating them but then taking back all the best bits of the country - Burgundy, for instance, the Champagne region etc. I'm quite happy to have my tax refund in cases of fine wines.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

Corbyn xD ?!
    UKIP is their only other option
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

Rubbish. A death tax really would have been toxic and certainly broken a manifesto commitment, getting the self employed to pay NICs to pay for their social care is entirely sensible
    Breaking a manifesto commitment like leaving the SIngle Market?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

The solution is obvious. NI should be abolished and IT increased to compensate. So many different unfair differentials removed at a stroke.

I agree with that. NI conjures up visions amongst the public — their own personal pot of gold at the Bank of England — that are completely wrong. Getting rid of it would be a fairer way of taxing income, simpler to administer, and have fewer anomalies.
    So perhaps abolish NI and bring in a Social Security Tax [or I prefer the word Contributions]. It would be hypothecated to pay for state pensions, unemployed insurance, disability living alliwance, a basic income once we have have one, et al. It's paid on all income above the tax threshold of ~£11k and it's paid by persons of all ages with no upper limit.

We could also have a Health and Social Care Tax [or Contributions] to fund the integrated NHS and social care system. Again, payable on all income above the threshold.
    I don't mind the principle but it should be called an insurance (or contributions) and not a tax
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

No.

Most voters will think it only fair that NICs are more equal.
  • Options
    The way the house are ignoring him and chatting amongst themselves says it all. Indeed many have left the chamber and who can blame them
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited March 2017

twitter.com/johnestevens/status/839473880523812866

They couldn't get a Gordon Brown on in there...as it was taller than all of those put together...
  • Options
    Unlike Osborne, Hammond hasn't increased VAT in his first budget. He must be saving that for the autumn. Once you've broken the first manifesto commitment on taxation, the rest come easily.
  • Options

Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

The vast majority of people are on PAYE and many have never received a direct dividend in their life.

Lots of journos are freelancers, of course.

This looks like a reasonable and gradual change - and allied to the abolition of Class II NICs I believe Hammond said anyone under 60k would be better off [in strictly NIC terms]?
    PAYErs vastly under-represented amongst media types, like the people who know someone in EU/ex-pat divide ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Where's Spring Budget 2015? Was that a sheet of A4 and therefore not visible?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    JonathanD said:

Disappointing there was nothing on discouraging diesel.

That would open a can of worms. A BMJ article indicated that UK-wide woodstove emissions are 2-3 x larger than UK-wide diesel emissions. So those will need to be discouraged or banned.

Quite a lot of the diesel smoke total comes from buses, diesel trains, lorries and shipping, not cars. In addition the diesel cars of the last 5-10 years are significantly cleaner than those still in service and 10-20 years old (most of these should be scrapped.)

The lobbying against diesel (but nothing against wood, coal or oil boilers, which also pollute) is probably in part traceable to the nuclear lobby. It's been fairly desperate for some time for a large fleet of electric cars to absorb large amounts of night-time electricity, summer and winter.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Cyclefree said:

Animal_pb said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely not. NI was set up to pay for welfare, pensions and healthcare, social care is exactly what it should be paying for

By that reasoning the revenue from income tax should be exclusively devoted to fighting the French.
    Well, if Brexit goes really badly, it may well be again. :)

Please, people, perspective. UK gov raises £200bn (ish) off income tax. How much would it take to beat the French; few million, tops? That's a *lot* of tax refunds.
    Well, it's not just beating them but then taking back all the best bits of the country - Burgundy, for instance, the Champagne region etc. I'm quite happy to have my tax refund in cases of fine wines.

I feel I could support this policy position.
  • Options
    I wonder how much all the things that Corbyn demanded in his rant would actually cost?
  • Options
    Doesn't he mean Contrasted, rather than Compared?

Comparing them, they are all red. Contrasting them, some are thicker than others.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

Corbyn xD ?!
    Still you never want to upset your base. First real mistake by May govt.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

Corbyn xD ?!
    The base is shifting though.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    At last! Someone worth listening to.....Andrew Tyrie......
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

Comparing them, they are all red. Contrasting them, some are thicker than others.
    No. You compare things to see to what extent they are different or similar. It is a neutral assessment. Contrasting means specifically looking for differences.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Sun political editor on 5live. Much less gushing than many on here.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Oh la la

Wikileaks
    WikiLeaks has released less than 1% of its #Vault7 series in its part one publication yesterday 'Year Zero'.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I

I wonder how much all the things that Corbyn demanded in his rant would actually cost?

You mean he is still ranting.. I switched off as did millions after the first couple of minutes..
    Great joke btw from Hammond about driverless cars..
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Where's Spring Budget 2015? Was that a sheet of A4 and therefore not visible?
    Well, the first 2016 budget was essentially just a sheet of paper that said "Vote Remain"
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

No. You compare things to see to what extent they are different or similar. It is a neutral assessment. Contrasting means specifically looking for differences.
    No. You compare similarities and contrast differences. I've written enough Compare & Contrast essays in recent years...
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

Corbyn xD ?!
    No, would have upset them even more with a death tax although it may give UKIP a minor boost to its life support machine
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

Most Tory voters back that and the Leave vote changed things
  • Options

Bojabob said:

No. You compare similarities and contrast differences. I've written enough Compare & Contrast essays in recent years...
    Get a better English teacher. Comparing is a neutral term allowing you to do both.

Chambers:

compare verb (compared, comparing) 1 to examine (items, etc) to see what differences or similarities they have.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

Corbyn xD ?!
    No, would have upset them even more with a death tax although it may give UKIP a minor boost to its life support machine
    Death duties are toxic.

Everyone is going to die at some point.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    The NIC rise is going to hit a fair amount of people and not raise that much by the looks of it. Also goes against the aspirational some of them middle class voters the Tories have been courting and have said they are on their side. My father is self employed because he can't find a HR job because of his age, he has no choice but to go self employed at the moment.

I strongly suspect it will get dropped before it comes into effect.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Get a better English teacher. Comparing is a neutral term allowing you to do both.

Chambers:

compare verb (compared, comparing) 1 to examine (items, etc) to see what differences or similarities they have.
    "Definitions
    Compare and contrast essays are multi-paragraph compositions that explain ways in which two (or, very occasionally, more) subjects are similar or different.

In these papers, compare means describing similarities between the subjects...

The arch-enemy of comparing is contrasting. When you contrast two things, you explain ways in which they are different..."

http://study.com/academy/lesson/compare-contrast-essay-definition-topics-examples.html

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    jonny83 said:

The NIC rise is going to hit a fair amount of people and not raise that much by the looks of it. Also goes against the aspirational some of them middle class voters the Tories have been courting and have said they are on their side. My father is self employed because he can't find a HR job because of his age, he has no choice but to go self employed at the moment.

I suspect it wont - and this is just the first increase - expect YoY increases.

Most voters are PAYE and probably didn't realise how cushy the S/E have it.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970
    I understand the need to rationalise and equalise the tax/NI system by reducing tax benefits to self employment or small company directorship businesses. But he does have to be careful not to go too far.

There are very large numbers of people who are one man (or woman) bands because that is the nature of their business with lots of short term consultancy type work that serves many larger companies and sectors. If those people get sick the company does not make any money. There is no one to pay sick pay or to keep the income coming in to keep the company going. In my case I simply cannot afford to get sick or my company goes bust and I lose everything. As a result I have to pay out very large sums of money for insurances to cover me through such eventualities. If you are being fair and not playing the system and at the same time being sensible and making sure you are covered for unexpected illness then there really aren't the big advantages people seem to think to working for yourself as far as tax and health cover are concerned.

I don't suggest that Hammond has yet gone too far but the idea that everyone who is self employed is doing so because of tax advantages is simply not true.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970
    TGOHF said:

jonny83 said:

You really do display a most stunning level of ignorance about this subject.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Did any of them compare our EU contributions with the NHS budget?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

Corbyn xD ?!
    Death duties are toxic.

Everyone is going to die at some point.
    So what, death taxes are socialist and deeply unpopular, NI and contributing over your working life for later need is far more conservative
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

I think there are probably bits that have obviously been undercut by the chancellor's speech which need emergency excision or revision, but in general I'd be forgiving for the reasons you list.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

No the Tories can afford to lose a few self employed voters to UKIP to pay for social care, think of it as an act of charity by Hammond to the Kippers in their hour of need!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    I suspect this NIC rise will get a disproportionate amount of discussion on PB and the wider media because it will affect a disproportionate amount of people who frequent this site and work in the media.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Did any of them compare our EU contributions with the NHS budget?
    Nice!
  • Options
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

The NIC rise is toxic.

Sometimes breaking a manifesto commitment is necessary due to events even if it was well thought out in the first place (many are not, and if broken deserve more scorn for being not thought out in the first place). It's a question of reasonableness. If circumstances mean one cannot keep to a plan not to raise x or y, it needs justifying, the mere fact it is a broken promise does not necessarily mean it is unreasonable of course.
  • Options
    Judging from past years, if the chancellor's speech is super well received in the first instance it will unravel piece by piece over the next few days?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulwaugh: What's astonishing is Treasury don't look prepared for the political backlash over this manifesto breach on NI rise for self employed.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Chambers:

"Definitions
    Compare and contrast essays are multi-paragraph compositions that explain ways in which two (or, very occasionally, more) subjects are similar or different.

The arch-enemy of comparing is contrasting. When you contrast two things, you explain ways in which they are different..."

http://study.com/academy/lesson/compare-contrast-essay-definition-topics-examples.html

The idiosyncratic definitions of ivory tower academia do not compare well with plain English.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Tyndall, it'd be nice to be self-employed for tax reasons, one imagines.

Still going to keep fiction writing, but fairly soon I'm going to have to look for other stuff too. So, if anybody knows of news writing or perhaps reviewing or other writing jobs, do let me know.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @SamCoatesTimes: Treasury just revealed 2.485 million self employed will pay more National Insurance as result of Class 4 raise...

@SamCoatesTimes: ... Treasury urge public to take into account class 2 change to NICs when calculating "losers" - leaving 1.6m paying more NICs
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Judging from past years, if the chancellor's speech is super well received in the first instance it will unravel piece by piece over the next few days?

in my humble view, the NI change and whether a break of the GE manifesto is the only story the Budget is going to focus on.... so little else there.

perhaps it's a deliberate strategy?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    isam said:

Damit. Don't make me agree with Reckless.

• Options
    Is the NIC equalisation fair? Lots of self-employed people do work our company. They get no sick pay, holiday pay etc etc. Employees get tons of benefits that freelance suppliers lack (and have to pay to cover).
  • Options
    @jimwaterson: "This government is committed to its manifesto commitments," says Hammond's spokesperson when asked why they broke a manifesto commitment.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Well said the TPD..... it hurts to type that.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I suspect this NIC rise will get a disproportionate amount of discussion on PB and the wider media because it will affect a disproportionate amount of people who frequent this site and work in the media.

https://twitter.com/TorstenBell/status/839482353055576068
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Bojabob said:

Is the NIC equalisation fair? Lots of self-employed people do work our company. They get no sick pay, holiday pay etc etc. Employees get tons of benefits that freelance suppliers lack (and have to pay to cover).

Brexit has to be paid for somehow.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Chambers:

"Definitions

The idiosyncratic definitions of ivory tower academia do not compare well with plain English.
    Let's shake hands and leave this one. We have far better things to disagree about!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

jonny83 said:

Garbage. Being self-employed is "cushy"?? Erm, actually no, it isn't. It's risky, and lacks many of the benefits of being an employee. Catching the flu costs you hundreds if not thousands of pounds.
  • Options
    Farron standing up for white van man.

https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/839476597405200384
  • Options
    edited March 2017

tlg86 said:

Looks thoroughly progressive to me.

Won't the increase in tax thresholds actually mean everyone in that chart (Up to about the 8th decile or so) is better off anyway ?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Of course, that graph does not take into account the substantial attendant costs of being self-employed, and the very significant benefits of being employed. £60,000 pa s/e is worth a lot less than £60,000 pa employed.
  • Options

Farron standing up for white van man.

https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/839476597405200384

Let's hope that it is a hybrid petrol van and not a diesel.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Glenn, good line from Farron. Obviously contradicts May's earlier comments and (downthread) appears to be contra-manifesto as well.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Chambers:

"Definitions

Let's shake hands and leave this one. We have far better things to disagree about!
    Agreed. Although I have buried that particular hatchet. Time heals!
  • Options

isam said:
    Well said the TPD..... it hurts to type that.
    I might have to expel you from the Not obsessed by the gays, immigrants, and the EU, fiscally dry and socially liberal new Tory Party if you say that again.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Bojabob said:

Brexit has to be paid for somehow.

Well quite. It seems those who offer companies huge flexibility by taking on employment risk on their own shoulders are the ones the government wants to pay the penalty.
  • Options
    Speaking to several conservative activists, I'm calling this an omni-shambles budget.

That NI decision will be reversed.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

TGOHF said:

jonny83 said:

Garbage. Being self-employed is "cushy"?? Erm, actually no, it isn't. It's risky, and lacks many of the benefits of being an employee. Catching the flu costs you hundreds if not thousands of pounds.
    Lots of generalisations on display here - it all depends on your job, daily rate etc. Lots of S/E types will be earning good daily rates and paying substantially less tax than those on PAYE thanks to clever accounting and write-offs so in some cases it is 'cushy'. In others, where people are in S/E jobs on low day-rates or less regular work, it clearly isn't.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Speaking to several conservative activists, I'm calling this an omni-shambles budget.

That NI decision will be reversed.

No it won't, something has to pay for social care and NICs are the best and least electorally damaging option
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited March 2017
    Who knew the foundations of the self-employed economy teetered on just a 60p a week NI increase.

Here's the thing. Let's see how many of the self-employed are desperate to become employees as a consequence of these changes. I'm thinking the answer is going to be EXTREMELY close to zero....
  • Options
    What I want to know is when I am going to get my child benefit back............................................................
This discussion has been closed.