Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I am not playing budget bingo this year

Comments

• Options
    He's even doing hand gestures at the SNP.

I think I've fallen in love with Phil Hammond.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    Now visual comedy for the Jocks!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

HYUFD said:

Good move by Hammond on NICs to pay for social care

Did he say 'Social Care'? 1/5 winner!
    Coming up
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    DavidL said:

Yes, and the use of dividends to avoid NICs not touched either. Surprised by that to be honest.

Give it time. The penalty for paying through PAYE is so glaring (especially because of employer's NI) that it really does need to be addressed. The tax system should be neutral as to the corporate structure.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    MaxPB said:

Truly this is the most snore worthy budget I've seen. About to turn it off and get back to work.

This is how budgets should be.

Few changes to shore up fiscal needs.

We've just grown up under Brownbornianism - political tinkering.
  • Options

He's even doing hand gestures at the SNP.

I think I've fallen in love with Phil Hammond.

I am genuinely laughing at this, absolutely brilliant
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    So far, a well thought-out Budget, well written, well presented.

Labour should throw themselves down a well....
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I thought the whole point about having lower taxes on self-employed reflected the risks they were taking and no employer benefits.

If the gov aim to even the two types up, then this creates a huge disincentive for people to become self-employed.

In reality the problem is we now have two classes of self-employed, one of which the tax system never anticipated, the "gigger".

Both technically don't have steady wages nor employee benefits, but one is much more like a normal job than the other and it seems with various legal challenges the gigger will soon get employment benefits etc.

But surely that should be dealt with by clamping down on the employers who are pretending their employees are self-employed.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

So far, a well thought-out Budget, well written, well presented.

Labour should throw themselves down a well....

I am sure Jezza will oblige.
  • Options

I thought the whole point about having lower taxes on self-employed reflected the risks they were taking and no employer benefits.

If the gov aim to even the two types up, then this creates a huge disincentive for people to become self-employed.

Number self employed has risen for years but so have demands on social care the NIC rise will help pay for
  • Options
    I might be switching from Team Osborne to Team Hammond.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    what was the hand gesture ?
  • Options

Really - good decision
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Truly this is the most snore worthy budget I've seen. About to turn it off and get back to work.

This is how budgets should be.

Few changes to shore up fiscal needs.

We've just grown up under Brownbornianism - political tinkering.
    He's tinkering quite a lot. Not that I blame him - he needs to execute the punishment budget without appearing to.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360

DavidL said:

Yes, and the use of dividends to avoid NICs not touched either. Surprised by that to be honest.

Give it time. The penalty for paying through PAYE is so glaring (especially because of employer's NI) that it really does need to be addressed. The tax system should be neutral as to the corporate structure.
    That's what he said but it is not (yet) what he has done. Those able to operate through a service company are still being very generously treated.
  • Options
    The Hammond playing a great tune, music to voters ears!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Like a big tada towards the SNP
  • Options
    If Theresa May should ever fall under the proverbial political bus, looks like we have a very capable PM in waiting in Hammond.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    TGOHF said:

Announced £300m for the Scottish govt, and called on cheers from the SNP (that he knew wouldn't arrive, providing his punchline)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Threw his arms to the SNP when announcing the additional revenue they are getting - really funny
  • Options

Let's see how tomorrow's papers look first. The problems for Osborne normally came from what was in the red book rather than what he said in the House.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

If Theresa May should ever fall under the proverbial political bus, looks like we have a very capable PM in waiting in Hammond.

Indeed the Hammster would be a very big improvement.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That's what he said but it is not (yet) what he has done. Those able to operate through a service company are still being very generously treated.

Yes, it's mad. The root cause is NI.

Whilst on that subject, why on earth do we still have the absurd anomaly that people who work on past retirement age don't pay NI? I'd have thought correcting that would be a free hit in political terms - and there are going to be a lot more such people in the future. Many of them are very well paid.
  • Options

I remain with Team Osborne at the moment but he came into politics for today. This is what he always wanted to do. And he is not making a bad fist of it.
  • Options
    He is playing a blinder and enjoying it - May and Hammond are two grown ups and will be formidable in the coming months and years
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    edited March 2017
    T-Levels sound very much like the German or Swiss apprenticeship/technical school qualifications. Bloody finally. I only wish that Osborne had been bold enough to make these changes in 2010.
  • Options

He is playing a blinder and enjoying it - May and Hammond are two grown ups and will be formidable in the coming months and years

Are you watching, Brussels? This team means business.....
  • Options

DavidL said:

Whilst on that subject, why on earth do we still have the absurd anomaly that people who work on past retirement age don't pay NI? I'd have thought correcting that would be a free hit in political terms - and there are going to be a lot more such people in the future. Many of them are very well paid.
    The solution is obvious. NI should be abolished and IT increased to compensate. So many different unfair differentials removed at a stroke.
  • Options
    Coming up to 48 mins.

Tick tock
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The difficulty in ever implementing it would be that many companies are truly old fashioned companies, and there needs to be a vehicle for the investment of money and fair taxation of profits from that, whilst others are personal service companies with little capital at risk.
  • Options
    All the gags look like taking it over the one hour.....
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Coming up to 48 mins.

Tick tock

OGH starting to twitch ....
  • Options
    Ni increase is bollocks....... you don't get employer pensions, sick pay, child care vouchers and are on your own..... state pension is better now but to claim little difference between self employed and employed is false.

Director dividend tax cut is fairer but was only brought in when taxing directors more on dividends last year. So an increase tax to the last increase.

3k nsi savings bond is piffling
  • Options
    £2bn for Social Care over 3 years with £1bn over the next year. One of the bigger announcements.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The solution is obvious. NI should be abolished and IT increased to compensate. So many different unfair differentials removed at a stroke.
    Absolutely not. NI was set up to pay for welfare, pensions and healthcare, social care is exactly what it should be paying for
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes, although it would probably have to be combined with a large increase in the State Pension to compensate any losers.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,012
    This appeared on the BBC budget feed

https://twitter.com/Crocodile_Stu/status/839461003943362561

No holiday pay if self employed - exactly where is the holiday pay supposed to come from.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    DavidL said:

I agree with that. NI conjures up visions amongst the public — their own personal pot of gold at the Bank of England — that are completely wrong. Getting rid of it would be a fairer way of taxing income, simpler to administer, and have fewer anomalies.
  • Options
    Labour's hated death tax will not be resurrected
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Ni increase is bollocks....... you don't get employer pensions, sick pay, child care vouchers and are on your own..... state pension is better now but to claim little difference between self employed and employed is false.

Director dividend tax cut is fairer but was only brought in when taxing directors more on dividends last year. So an increase tax to the last increase.

Boo hoo - not many people are forced to be self employed - mostly a tax efficient choice.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    eek said:

No holiday pay if self employed - exactly where is the holiday pay supposed to come from.

The money saved by lower tax rates, which Hammond has just taken away?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

Always said now that the original NI aims and its link to actual use is totally broken, we should wrap NI and IC together. Yes I know lots of complications, but can be done (and actually should end up with the rich paying more tax).
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    HYUFD said:

Absolutely not. NI was set up to pay for welfare, pensions and healthcare, social care is exactly what it should be paying for

By that reasoning the revenue from income tax should be exclusively devoted to fighting the French.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes, although it would probably have to be combined with a large increase in the State Pension to compensate any losers.
    Nope, wouldn't do that either, at least for that reason. We really must start to trim the featherbedding of higher rate tax paying pensioners. It is immoral and unaffordable.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Boo hoo - not many people are forced to be self employed - mostly a tax efficient choice.
    I'm missing your point. Or you've missed mine.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

HYUFD said:

By that reasoning the revenue from income tax should be exclusively devoted to fighting the French.
    Now you're talking.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Copeland a bingo winner.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Oh yes please.

I'd vote for any party that made that a manifesto commitment.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well, its an argument...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited March 2017
    £16m for a 5G mobile technology hub -- meanwhile America starts trials of 5G in 11 cities from next year. Maybe the £16 million is to pay the hotel and airline bills for Tory SpAds to go and see.
  • Options
    Looks like he's winding up, we're approaching 55 mins.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    glw said:

DavidL said:

I agree with that. NI conjures up visions amongst the public — their own personal pot of gold at the Bank of England — that are completely wrong. Getting rid of it would be a fairer way of taxing income, simpler to administer, and have fewer anomalies.
    Yes, but you need gangbusters growth and a surplus to pay for that. Major changes require lots of winners and few losers.
  • Options
    eek said:

That's the point. There's a lot of difference in benefits between being employed vs self employed.
  • Options
    eek said:

Normally it would come from the employer. Self-employed don't get that benefit.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Why would you want to lock in sub-inflation returns for 3 years?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

HYUFD said:

The MOD would love that. As would Boeing, Northrop Grumman, BAE, Airbus, Lockheed, etc.
  • Options
    I make that budget just over 55 mins.
  • Options

eek said:

The money saved by lower tax rates, which Hammond has just taken away?
    That's covered by the higher taxes bit and supposedly its £1.60 a week on average which isn't much of a holiday (night in Premier Inn if you are lucky)..
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966

Fantastic
  • Options

Damn!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    55 minutes ....

OGH loves Hammo .. :smiley:
  • Options
    Was that it???? Well nothing too much for me to report to clients it seems bar the tax rises and makes shares ISAS better again
  • Options
    Excellent. Hammond says he will never consider a death tax as he announces increased funds for social care
  • Options
    Charles said:

Because it's better than the market rate?
  • Options
    Now for Jeremy Corbyn's forensic dissection of the budget.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Did I miss the bit about pensions/lifetime isas?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    DavidL said:

JonathanD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nope, wouldn't do that either, at least for that reason. We really must start to trim the featherbedding of higher rate tax paying pensioners. It is immoral and unaffordable.

Currently pensioners pay no NI so if you combine IT and NI you will increase tax on relatively low income pensioners by a hefty margin. For low income pensioners this move would need to be cost neutral which is why the simplest way would be to increase the state pension and claw it back on wealthier pensioners.
  • Options
    eek said:

He may still need social care though and he has to pay for it along with everyone else
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

DavidL said:

JonathanD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Currently pensioners pay no NI so if you combine IT and NI you will increase tax on relatively low income pensioners by a hefty margin. For low income pensioners this move would need to be cost neutral which is why the simplest way would be to increase the state pension and claw it back on wealthier pensioners.
    The right thing to do would be to charge pensioners a reduce but non-zero NI rate to reflect the fact that they are no contributing to the state pension
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited March 2017
    Jeremy is going for hyperbole again. Anything would think we were Venezuela - oh...
  • Options

Now for Jeremy Corbyn's forensic dissection of the budget.

Oh you are awful but I like you.
  • Options
    Corbyn going on about people not knowing whether they will have work tomorrow or next week ....bit bold that, Leader.....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

HYUFD said:

Well, if Brexit goes really badly, it may well be again. :)

• Options

eek said:

Normally it would come from the employer. Self-employed don't get that benefit.

Yes but you accept that if you are self employed. I'm happy to accept the fact I don't get paid for my holidays given the rate I charge for a hour of my time... The point is he's complaining about 3 things (two of which are probably through his own choice) and only 1 has changed and it hasn't changed that much.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

eek said:

That's the point. There's a lot of difference in benefits between being employed vs self employed.
    Think this will have biggest backlash in a couple days time.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Income tax still pays for defence and if Brexit goes sour who knows?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,882
    edited March 2017

What was it David Cameron [allegedly] called Mark Reckless Ex-MP when he jumped ship to UKIP?
  • Options
    Did I miss cuts being announced in the NHS or Education? I thought it was increases. Maybe Corbyn heard something different on his planet.
  • Options

Corbyn going on about people not knowing whether they will have work tomorrow or next week ....bit bold that, Leader.....

Well, he does spend his time talking to the Shadow Cabinet.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,893
    It would have been courteous for Corbyn to have at least listened to Hammond.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    More faith schools. Socially divisive but a valuable invisible export as those Saudi cheque books open.
  • Options
    So what was the precise budget length ?

55 minutes 10 seconds or some such ?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

TGOHF said:

I'm missing your point. Or you've missed mine.
    News to most white van drivers, small shop owners or carpenters ...

Increasingly there seem to be two groups, the very low-income self-employed and a few on high incomes like barristers and IT contractors. The latter usually have a huge incentive to form a co. Don't blame the former.
  • Options
    McDonnell frowning behind Corbyn - Corbyn in full protest rally mode
  • Options
    Pong said:

Good point. Lifetime isa comes in next month and nothing on it????? Nothing on pensions thank God but not abolished taper annual allowance it seems.. shame if so.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited March 2017
    GIN1138 said:

What was it David Cameron [allegedly] called Mark Reckless Ex-MP when he jumped ship to UKIP?
    I cannot repeat the words he used.

To be fair, I used similar language.

My favourite ever PB thread I wrote was the one where I said Mark Reckless deserved a red hot poker up his arse.

Edit - I said 'he's a f**king c**t who deserves a hot poker up his arse.'

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/09/30/memo-to-the-tories-never-hate-your-enemies-it-affects-your-judgement/
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

Almost exactly in line with the bookies expectations.

Glad I didn't bet.

;)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    glw said:

DavidL said:

No precisely the opposite, NI contributions should be more linked to welfare, pensions and care entitlements
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Because it's better than the market rate?
    With 3 year duration it's not really a cash reserve (which I could see the argument for)
  • Options
    Oh FFS - Food banks - would Corbyn rather the food went into landfill, like it did under Labour?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The greatest political surprise from Hammond's budget is that there was at least as much micro-managing as in Osborne's budgets. A lot of small measures announced.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I made it 55:02, but I missed the first few secs or so of the speech.
  • Options
    Blame Deliveroo, Amazon and Uber for the self employment rule changes. There was a system, it got abused and now the rules have to change for all.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I made it 55:02, but I missed the first few secs or so of the speech.
    Steward's enquiry needed maybe !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Blame Deliveroo, Amazon and Uber for the self employment rule changes. There was a system, it got abused and now the rules have to change for all.

The new rules will not cost any of those companies a penny more.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Well, if Brexit goes really badly, it may well be again. :)

Please, people, perspective. UK gov raises £200bn (ish) off income tax. How much would it take to beat the French; few million, tops? That's a *lot* of tax refunds.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Pong said:

There was this:

Qualifying recognised overseas pension schemes (QROPS): introduction of transfer charge – The government will introduce a 25% charge on transfers to QROPS. This charge is targeted at those seeking to reduce the tax payable by moving their pension wealth to another jurisdiction. Exceptions will apply to the charge allowing transfers to be made tax-free where people have a genuine need to transfer their pension, including when the individual and the pension are both located within the European Economic Area.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/spring-budget-2017-documents/spring-budget-2017
This discussion has been closed.