Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I am not playing budget bingo this year

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,107
    AndyJS said:

I guess the big question at the moment is if the Tories win enormous victories at the local elections in a few weeks' time will they still refuse to hold an early election? They must be thinking about what happened with Brown in 2007. Labour could be facing a meltdown in the shire counties where a lot of the marginals are located.

Brown was facing Cameron in 2010 he would have beaten Howard in 2005
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,287

Why is it that Angus Robertson with two questions puts Mrs May under more pressure than Jeremy Corbyn's six questions?

Now you know the answer to that already, you are just wanting one of us in the red corner to spell it out!
    Corbyn could easily learn from Robertson - simple focussed questions, not a half baked ramble around the houses.
    Corbyn is a Bourbon.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Theresa May is a pretty centrist, standard, kind of Conservative. I don't understand your loathing for her.

She has an obsession with grammar schools, what is it with people who went to grammar schools, if grammar schools are so good, how come nobody who attended one can differentiate between personal experience and statistical evidence?

But she really annoyed me the day she became PM, she sacked people who had served the Tory party with distinction and honour, for years, and for leaders long before Dave.

That smacked of all the hallmarks of a bully.

She was quite cruel, the way Downing Street works, on a security level, you have put your mobile, wallets, and keys in another part of the building.

She sacked them, and took away their heart passes, which meant they couldn't retrieve their personal possessions.

It was said David Cameron on May the 8th 2015 acted with honour and sensitivity to the Lib Dem SPADS etc.

The ironic thing is, within a few months Mrs May tried to get some of them back, to which many of them told her with great pleasure to get stuffed.

And don't even get me started on the Tory conference...
    Top PISA ranked Singapore effectively selects at 13

Singapore and education - handle with extreme care:

http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/lets-kill-the-drill-approach-in-schools

They get the best international academic results though
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Theresa May is a pretty centrist, standard, kind of Conservative. I don't understand your loathing for her.

She has an obsession with grammar schools, what is it with people who went to grammar schools, if grammar schools are so good, how come nobody who attended one can differentiate between personal experience and statistical evidence?

But she really annoyed me the day she became PM, she sacked people who had served the Tory party with distinction and honour, for years, and for leaders long before Dave.

She was quite cruel, the way Downing Street works, on a security level, you have put your mobile, wallets, and keys in another part of the building.

She sacked them, and took away their heart passes, which meant they couldn't retrieve their personal possessions.

It was said David Cameron on May the 8th 2015 acted with honour and sensitivity to the Lib Dem SPADS etc.

The ironic thing is, within a few months Mrs May tried to get some of them back, to which many of them told her with great pleasure to get stuffed.

Without knowing the facts of that case, I can't comment. I would say that people I know who are acquainted with Theresa May like her a lot.

WRT grammar schools, you do come over as a bit Anthony Crossland.
    Bit silly to plough money into grammar schools when so many local authorities are unfairly underfunded wrt education, regardless of the ideology behind it.
    I can see pros and cons, but it's never struck me as being an issue that's worth getting very excited about.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Andrew Sparrow:

Snap PMQs verdict: The recording that emerged yesterday about the Surrey council leader suggesting that he had a “gentleman’s agreement” with the government about extra funding for the council suggests there is something distinctly fishy about this whole affair, and raises questions about quite how honest Theresa May was being when she dismissed the whole thing at PMQs a few weeks ago, but to actually prove at PMQs that May was in the wrong would have required great forensic skill, and Corbyn was not up to the task. Robin Cook might have managed it, or Yvette Cooper could have had a good go, but May brushed aside Corbyn aside with her first, lawyerly-worded answer, and Corbyn then never got much further. It is not easy to see how he could have done better, but perhaps he could have focused on when Surrey was told it could pilot the business rates retention system (before others?). Or pressed her as to how much this would benefit Surrey financially? After that Corbyn moved on to grammar schools, but although he had a perfectly good point to make, he could not convert this into a question that unsettled May. So, all told, she had a very easy run (which will be forgotten about as soon as the budget starts.)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/mar/08/budget-2017-philip-hammond-chancellor-spending-tax-brexit-schools-nhs-growth-borrowing-live?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

Why is it that Angus Robertson with two questions puts Mrs May under more pressure than Jeremy Corbyn's six questions?

Now you know the answer to that already, you are just wanting one of us in the red corner to spell it out!
    Well you did vote for him, so perhaps you could explain.

(And yes, it was a rhetorical question)
    I voted for him in 2015 as the "Shit or Bust" candidate, when all else was vanilla.

As it was soon apparent that he was a "Bust", I voted against him last year. (Yes, others will say I should have known that in advance, but would be really leading in the polls if Andy Burnham was our leader?)
  • Options

My second favourite man crush asking a question at PMQs right now

Peter Bottomley?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Bingo, a bonus woman.
  • Options

I voted for him in 2015 as the "Shit or Bust" candidate, when all else was vanilla.

As it was soon apparent that he was a "Bust", I voted against him last year. (Yes, others will say I should have known that in advance, but would be really leading in the polls if Andy Burnham was our leader?)
    Burnham would not have led Labour to a potential electoral wipe out that Corbyn might.

Burnham is underestimated, he attended the finest university in the world.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I guess the big question at the moment is if the Tories win enormous victories at the local elections in a few weeks' time will they still refuse to hold an early election? They must be thinking about what happened with Brown in 2007. Labour could be facing a meltdown in the shire counties where a lot of the marginals are located.

Labour don't have all that many seats at stake, but Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire (Labour control) Lancashire and Cumbria (Labour largest party) and Staffordshire and Warwickshire (substantial Labour representation) are the ones to watch.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Peter Bottomley?
    Johnny Mercer.
  • Options
    JackW said:

A man crush .... I missed that. What was Eric Pickles question?
    Eric Pickles is the spitting image of Baron Harkonnen from Dune.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Pulpstar said:

Any remainer who would not have preferred the counterfactual of a Miliband government to the present situation is clearly 'intensely relaxed' regarding Brexit.

That's simplistic. A Miliband government would have likely engaged in the EU with the intent of Blair but without the skill. The blowback from the media and public after making goodwill gestures and signing up to unwanted cooperation while getting little to nothing in return would have been significant. Miliband himself would likely have had an extremely poor approval rating (he did as LotO, which is a much easier job, PR-wise, than PM), and Labour would have leaked more votes to the still-Farage-led UKIP.

Meanwhile, the Tories would have had a leadership contest to replace Cameron, with a good chance of Brexit Boris winning.

Quite how it all would have played out is anyone's guess but it's difficult to see that there wouldn't have been a reckoning towards the back-end of this decade or the beginning of the next one, with Leave in a much stronger position than it was in 2016.

Which is to say that given what we know now, it's highly likely that Brexit would have happened one way or another, unless someone had made a convincing positive case for the EU - and the EU had engaged in enabling a convincing positive case to be made.
    Hmm.... I'm not sure about that to be honest. I think we could have continued bumbling along okay within the EU. President Trump also would probably have made Brexit look much less attractive and strengthened the case for the UK having strong ties with Europe.

I do think also that Ed M. was much more focused and forceful on inequality and improving opportunities and results for those left behind... those are the people who voted for Brexit and pushed it over the top.

It's an interesting counterfactual anyway.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,972
    When Amanda Milling asked her question, as May, Hunt and Hammond were laughing, TM the PM pointed at the opposition benches and said "Look at *** ***'s face!"

Can anyone lip read? Who she was referring to?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,287
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Labour don't have all that many seats at stake, but Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire (Labour control) Lancashire and Cumbria (Labour largest party) and Staffordshire and Warwickshire (substantial Labour representation) are the ones to watch.
    Even a wipeout leaves May with needing to engineer a really good reason, given she has said repeatedly there won't be one.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Haters will still hate

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/03/08/president-trump-just-appointed-an-out-gay-man-to-one-of-the-biggest-jobs-in-his-administration/

"President Trump is set to appoint an openly gay official to one of the biggest jobs in his administration.

According to a White House official, Trump will appoint Richard Grenell, an openly gay diplomat, this week.
    He will become the president’s ambassador to NATO, making him the highest profile LGBT official in government.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

HYUFD said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Finland is 5th. No selection.
    I think these comparisons are probably a bit meaningless because they're implicitly based on the idea that if you put children from one country into another country's education system they would suddenly get pretty much the same results. But in fact I think it's more likely that if — for example — you put children from Finland through Singapore's education system, or vice versa, the results would be disastrous because the basic cultural assumptions of each country are often so different.
  • Options
    Did the commons vote on Cameron's negotiation before it was put to the country?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    AndyJS said:

Timing would still be problematic post May 4th. The earliest election date possible would then be June 15th - but only if Corbyn agrees to it. If he declines to do so , we would be looking at June 29th or July 6th. Many would suggest that takes us too far into the Summer holiday period.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

A man crush .... I missed that. What was Eric Pickles question?
    Eric Pickles is the spitting image of Baron Harkonnen from Dune.
    :smiley::smiley:
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,955
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

The Midlands will be a bloodbath for Labour.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, I need to find out how many of Labour's crucial targets are in the shire counties.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Even a wipeout leaves May with needing to engineer a really good reason, given she has said repeatedly there won't be one.
    I really do not think TM will call an election before 2020 unless something very unexpected happens
  • Options

Burnham would not have led Labour to a potential electoral wipe out that Corbyn might.

Burnham would have led us to defeat in 2020, of that I am sure. With Corbyn, it was clear that things would change, and a chance that that would work to our advantage - it still might if he is replaced by a "PM in waiting" prior to 2020 with the right blend of radical/populist/funded policies to excite the electorate. Or we might just get hammered.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,955
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

So what? They teach their children how to answer exam questions.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

...and then they cant complete simple immigration forms!
  • Options
    Spreadsheets a 16/1 winner.

Anyone get on?
  • Options
    So far a couple of good gags from Phil
  • Options
    Spreadsheet Phil excels himself.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Sean_F said:

midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Without knowing the facts of that case, I can't comment. I would say that people I know who are acquainted with Theresa May like her a lot.

WRT grammar schools, you do come over as a bit Anthony Crossland.
    Bit silly to plough money into grammar schools when so many local authorities are unfairly underfunded wrt education, regardless of the ideology behind it.
    I can see pros and cons, but it's never struck me as being an issue that's worth getting very excited about.
    If the money is available to be invested it's better to adequately fund the counties who don't get a fair deal before anything else surely?
  • Options

So far a couple of good gags from Phil

Essex boys always have the best jokes :smile:
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Burnham would have led us to defeat in 2020, of that I am sure. With Corbyn, it was clear that things would change, and a chance that that would work to our advantage - it still might if he is replaced by a "PM in waiting" prior to 2020 with the right blend of radical/populist/funded policies to excite the electorate. Or we might just get hammered.
    Given that Labour is polling 28% under Corbyn , it must be likely that Burnham would have at least matched the 31.2% achieved by Milliband in 2015. Starmer, Jarvis or Benn would be likely to raise Labour's vote share to circa 35% in 2020.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

Spreadsheets a 16/1 winner.

Anyone get on?

Just his speechwriter I expect!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,970
    How long has he been going for ?

Was my woman a winner ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

How long has he been going for ?

Was my woman a winner ?

About 9 minutes so far and I think the woman was a winner.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Arf!
  • Options
    Another good gag from Phil

'They don't call it the last Labour government for nothing'
  • Options
    "....they don't call it the last Labour Government for nothing...."
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

"....they don't call it the last Labour Government for nothing...."

I actually laughed out loud . lol.
  • Options
    "They don't call it the last Labour government for nothing"

What an improvement! Great jokes at the budget instead of a grating voice!
  • Options
    isam said:

One for the News bulletins....
  • Options
    isam said:

That is quite a good one to be honest.
  • Options
    Come on Phil, commend it to the house :)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

It was someone else's gag a few days ago, I think. But it deserved a wider airing.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    Gah. Quarterly reporting delayed only for those biz below VAT threshold.

Was hoping he was going to say microbusinesses.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Quarterly reporting delayed for what ? VAT or corp tax comps ?
  • Options

Burnham isn't underestimated by himself!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

Corp tax I assume. Minimum of quarterly reporting already for VAT.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited March 2017

HYUFD said:

Exactly my response. People who drill are good at drills. They are not anywhere near as good at applying the knowledge or skills drilled to everyday challenges as those who are taught in a more realistic, multiple skills simultaneously, problem-solving curriculum, even if the latter score lower on the tests.

This is not just theory, it is practical advise applied by top coaches in sports and in other arenas.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Haha yes it is.
  • Options
    Looks like Phil Hammond is about to hit the self employed.
  • Options

Its the 20-50k PAYE army that wins elections.
  • Options

I was right.
  • Options

To be honest this makes sense with regard to NICs.

• Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    rcs1000 said:

TSE:

"if grammar schools are so good, how come nobody who attended one can differentiate between personal experience and statistical evidence?"

Brilliant.

That is indeed brilliant.

And yes, May is an insecure bully – or so her behaviour would suggest.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    isam said:

Is the bloke in the brown suit about three along from Skinner donning a goatee beard and ponytail?????

He will be an SNP Dandy no doubt
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

It does.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Pulpstar said:

Mortimer said:

VAT is a simple four-figure form and signing a cheque, or it used to be before bloody online VAT. Income tax is a nightmare and one increasingly needs to pay an accountant as well as carry tax investigation insurance, because believe me you don't want to be alone faced with these people if they decide to get heavy.

Customs and Excise apparently had a more straightforward way of working from the Inland Revenue. It still seems to do so. The merger, designed by one Mr. G. Brown, created a monster. See hmrcisshite.blogspot.co.uk
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Mortimer said:

I was a bit worried but in the end 1% is not that bad. I feared worse.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited March 2017
    Introducing UK VAT on roaming telecoms services

What's this about? VAT is already on cellphones services etc.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,999
    edited March 2017
    *sighs*

So, more NI for me to pay. Bugger.

Edited extra bit: just keeping up to date here, not watching it. One percent's still 1% more than I'd like, but cheers for the actual figure, Mr. L.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Isn't it a 2% increase by 2019?
  • Options
    Good move by Hammond on NICs to pay for social care
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,999
    Anyway, I have to be off. Hope all your bets come off.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

*sighs*

So, more NI for me to pay. Bugger.

Edited extra bit: just keeping up to date here, not watching it. One percent's still 1% more than I'd like, but cheers for the actual figure, Mr. L.

Osborne's Brexit punishment budget strikes.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Yes but we no longer have to pay the NICs 2 so net it will be somewhat less. It is still a long way away from equality of contributions, particularly when ENICs are taken into account.
  • Options
    Coming up to 30 mins
  • Options
    Serious Chancellor for serious times - boring he may be but the economy is in good steady hands at this difficult time
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Exams which then take them to top universities and the professions and believe it or not Singapore has extra curricula activities too
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Yes but we no longer have to pay the NICs 2 so net it will be somewhat less. It is still a long way away from equality of contributions, particularly when ENICs are taken into account.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Introducing UK VAT on roaming telecoms services

What's this about? VAT is already on cellphones services etc.

Currently VAT is not paid on roaming outside the EU
  • Options
    ChaosOdinChaosOdin Posts: 67
    Dividend tax keeps going up. There was an enormous increase last year, for those of us who earn significantly more than 5K through dividends.

Still cheaper than paying yourself through PAYE though, so fair enough.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Finland is 5th. No selection.
    Last time I checked 5th was not 1st and even Finland selects at 16
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Indeed.

I feared worse on dividend allowance/tax too.

7.5% on £3k means those receiving £5k dividends or more pay £225. Seems fair enough to me.

Edit: And not till 18-19 either
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Serious Chancellor for serious times - boring he may be but the economy is in good steady hands at this difficult time

Boring?! Hammond's stand up has the best gags I have heard on the BBC in years
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    So the Tory election manifesto from 2015 has been completely cast aside. Raising NICs breaks another promise, along with staying in the Single Market
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    He therefore announces that he will reduce the tax-free dividend allowance for directors/shareholders from £5,000 to £2,000 with effect from April 2018

All of us who own small business and don't earn via PAYE getting some shafting today.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Good move by Hammond on NICs to pay for social care

Did he say 'Social Care'? 1/5 winner!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mood music on here even from those who are going to be paying more seems like Spreadsheets Phil has done this in a sensible and fair way.

Good man.

No Omnishambles here....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mood music on here even from those who are going to be paying more seems like Spreadsheets Phil has done this in a sensible and fair way.

Good man.

No Omnishambles here....

I seemed to remember THE OMNISHAMBLES budget getting great headline the day after...it was the day after that the s##t hit the fan.

I already reserve judgement.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I thought the whole point about having lower taxes on self-employed reflected the risks they were taking and no employer benefits.

If the gov aim to even the two types up, then this creates a huge disincentive for people to become self-employed.

• Options
    Corbo's face at the Hawking joke!! #grumpy
  • Options

He therefore announces that he will reduce the tax-free dividend allowance for directors/shareholders from £5,000 to £2,000 with effect from April 2018

All of us who own small business and don't earn via PAYE getting some shafting today.

Only £225 cost in the dividends threshold change, tho, Mr FU.

Those who have a mix of PAYE/dividends will still be better off
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited March 2017
    Another awesome joke

Corbyn is so far down a black hole that even Stephen Hawking has disowned him
  • Options
    Take back the boring - second cracker against Corbyn
  • Options
    All of us who don't own our own business and earn via PAYE getting slightly less shafted by those who do after today
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Indeed.

I feared worse on dividend allowance/tax too.

7.5% on £3k means those receiving £5k dividends or more pay £225. Seems fair enough to me.

Edit: And not till 18-19 either
    Yes, and the use of dividends to avoid NICs not touched either. Surprised by that to be honest.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Big kick in the nuts for those who own shares but AREN'T self employed.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

And now reducing the tax advantages for taking a risk and setting up a business.

Are there any pro-business pro-success parties left in this country?

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2017
    Kerching! on my 3/1 bet that 'Economy' would be the first of the listed words. Kudos to Paddy, they've already settled it.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I thought the whole point about having lower taxes on self-employed reflected the risks they were taking and no employer benefits.

If the gov aim to even the two types up, then this creates a huge disincentive for people to become self-employed.

In reality the problem is we now have two classes of self-employed, one of which the tax system never anticipated, the "gigger".

Both technically don't have steady wages nor employee benefits, but one is much more like a normal job than the other and it seems with various legal challenges the gigger will soon get employment benefits etc.
  • Options
    Third cracker from Hammond
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Yes, but still not enough IMO.
  • Options
    And another good gag.

Forget Spreadsheet Phil, this is Stand Up Phil
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Good gag on Labour knowing something about driverless vehicles!
  • Options
    Well focussed investment for cutting edge training. We really need this. Only slight moan is from existing funds and £300m is not a huge sum.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Truly this is the most snore worthy budget I've seen. About to turn it off and get back to work.
  • Options
    He getting funnier by the minute
  • Options

And now reducing the tax advantages for taking a risk and setting up a business.

Are there any pro-business pro-success parties left in this country?

By very little, and nothing at all (because of personal allowance rise) if you're a PAYE/Dividends mix, which many owner directors will be...
This discussion has been closed.