Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Copeland and Stoke-on-Trent Central: What have we learned?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,696
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Copeland and Stoke-on-Trent Central: What have we learned?

It is in the nature of political junkies, like sharks, to be constantly moving forwards, and like goldfish, to be constantly forgetting what has just happened.  We should try to do better.  In the wake of two extraordinary by-elections we should reflect on their implications.  Because, as it happens this time, their implications are manifold.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Top notch analysis Alastair.

Oh and first
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Trump previous speeches at CPAC

CSPAN
    WATCH: Donald Trump past #CPAC appearances https://t.co/T5OATSiiIe https://t.co/BEQTR1d0vK
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,543
    edited February 2017

Paul Nuttall, through his strained relationship with the truth, seemed to put the nut into Nuttall and in doing so he ensured that UKIP got the all out of f-all.

Been chuckling at that all morning.
  • Options
    Labour does have three years. There is time to throw Corbyn overboard. But they also need to decide what they're there for.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Great header.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Labour will flirt with being a left wing party once every two generations. It will end disastrously. This is what we have learned.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    The advantage that the Conservatives have is that under Corbyn, the Labour Party no longer criticises the Conservatives - indeed they seem to spend all their time going into the voting lobby to support what the Conservatives are doing.

The real criticism of Conservative policies comes from the Liberal Democrats. Their problem is that the media tend to not report what they say.

The result is that the general public do not realise just how dreadful the Tories are.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    I'm not sure that UKIP is done for, I think Nuttall dragged them down. A better leader might make a fair bit of difference. UKIP really need a Farage Mk. II, someone who is a "big beast" and cuts through the media barracking.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/labour-finished-cant-blame-corbyn/

FPT. I doubt anyone on the left wants to listen but there you go.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Excellent. Thank you Mr Meeks.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    PClipp said:

The advantage that the Conservatives have is that under Corbyn, the Labour Party no longer criticises the Conservatives - indeed they seem to spend all their time going into the voting lobby to support what the Conservatives are doing.

The real criticism of Conservative policies comes from the Liberal Democrats. Their problem is that the media tend to not report what they say.

The result is that the general public do not realise just how dreadful the Tories are.

Hahahaha. It's all a media plot to fool the public - now where have we heard that before. :)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,962
    edited February 2017
    glw said:

I'm not sure that UKIP is done for, I think Nuttall dragged them down. A better leader might make a fair bit of difference. UKIP really need a Farage Mk. II, someone who is a "big beast" and cuts through the media barracking.

There isn't anyone else. Farage is irreplaceable, they should really have jacked it in when he quit

13% of the country voted for a load of candidates with no experience of running anything because they liked Farage on the telly
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    PClipp said:

"It's not us, it's the electorate that are wrong."
  • Options
    Are the men in grey boiler suits starting to work themselves up to making an intervention in around 12 months time?
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    Carswell for UKIP leader?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,993
    Are we agreed Council elections in May are the very last failure the Labour Party can take? Ps, Ranieri for LOTO
  • Options
    Cheers Mr Meeks, another cracker, hard to disagree or find fault with any of that.
  • Options
    felix said:

PClipp said:

Hahahaha. It's all a media plot to fool the public - now where have we heard that before. :)
    Five statements, only one of which is unarguably true, though not for Clipp's reason - the media don't report what the LDs say because the LDs, with all of 9 MPs, are irrelevant.

Two of the statements are definitely false, one is a matter of view ("seem to spend") - it might seem that way, but it's confirmation bias; and the last relies on an incorrect premise.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    PB may be interested or enraged by what I had for lunch today.

http://i.imgur.com/FzAON5Lh.jpg
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Mr Meeks makes great play of the Leave-Remain divide, but I am not convinced he is right in claiming that the Leave areas are necessarily difficult for the Lib Dems.

I think the Lib Dems do well when they get stuck in to campaigning in an area, especially when other parties do next to nothing. In Richmond, for example, there was no Conservative campaign, but the Lib Dem campaign was extremely lively, as it was in recent local government byelections in Rotherham and Sheffield. In Stoke and Copeland, other parties were far more energetic, so their vote held up, and the lively Lib Dem campaign did not stand out.

With the Lib Dems being highly energised as a result of recent disasters, it seems to me that they can make excellent progress in many parts of the country, regardless of the way people there voted in the Referendum.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Essexit said:

no sweetcorn?
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398

Labour will flirt with being a left wing party once every two generations. It will end disastrously. This is what we have learned.

This is because at the end of the day voters care most about their jobs. The state of the NHS et al is highly important but still secondary to that primary consideration. Voters sense Corbyn puts narrow political dogma above that primary consideration as evidenced by the film clip that he wished to see the end of nuclear power in the UK to the cheers of his far left supporters. Fatal in Copeland obviously but not much less so elsewhere.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Well it would certainly be interesting. He seems to very different to average UKIP. More a radical libertarian who is a bit obsessed with democratic things like recall and referenda.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    nunu said:

Essexit said:

no sweetcorn?
    Pineapple is food of the gods. Sweetcorn is an abomination.
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398

nunu said:

Essexit said:

no sweetcorn?
    A fresh ripe sweetcorn cob from the field is delicious with butter.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2017
    I'm not sure if this has been remarked upon, but Labour have strung together five straight falls in vote share since the referendum. The average drop relative to GE2015 is 5%.

That puts them on 26% if universally applied across GB.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    RobC said:

nunu said:

Essexit said:

no sweetcorn?

Many foods can be made delicious with butter.

• Options
    The weekend papers are going to be a sight to behold wrt to Corbyn and Labour.
  • Options
    Hard to argue with Alastair's piece, except that I think he's been a bit unfair on the LibDems. Unless your expectations were Mark Seniorish, I'd say they did reasonably well in the circumstances. These were two seats where they were starting from nowhere, with demographics not favourable to them, and with powerful opponents squeezing them. There's nothing in these two by-elections to suggest that they won't gain quite a few seats in the next GE, subject to how the boundary changes hit them.

How many 'quite a few' turns out to be is very hard to say at this stage, of course. However, they do have a point when they say they are the only opposition to the Tories at the moment; the only opposition with a clear message, anyway.
  • Options

RobC said:

nunu said:

Essexit said:

no sweetcorn?

How would PB feel about butter as a pizza topping?
  • Options
    Goddamn. I've spent an hour putting together an article on NIA odds and PP have removed them. For interest only, here were my recs based on what was up.

Mallon (SDLP) N Belfast @ Evens
    Attwood (SDLP) W Belfast @ 7/2
    Stewart (UUP) E Antrim @2/1
    McCandless (UUP) E L/derry @ 33/1
    Dolan (SF) F&ST @ 15/8
    Overend (UUP) M Ulster @ Evens
    Kennedy (UUP) N & A @ 4/11
    McGuigan (SF) N Antrim @ 8/15
    Kelly (SDLP) Upper Bann @ 11/2

I had pieces about each seat but for now it's pointless.

If PP odds were used as basis of betfair, there's some great lay options. But it's all come down now.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Essexit said:

no sweetcorn?
    There's always sweetcorn, just not necessarily at that stage of the digestive process.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Does seem to be an obvious choice. - If a UKIP leader can’t manage to get elected to the commons, give it to the only kipper in the house.
  • Options
    Mr. Fletcher, it's irksome when work is wasted because of something like that.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2017
    The Lib Dems have gone in the opposite direction to Labour since the referendum; five straight increases in vote share.

Small margins of improvement in unfavourable seats, much greater gains in the affluent parts of the south east.

What we ideally need to see now is a straight two way fight between Lib and Lab in somewhere like Hornsey or Southwark.

Well off, but where the Tories aren't really in the race.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    RobC said:

This is because at the end of the day voters care most about their jobs. The state of the NHS et al is highly important but still secondary to that primary consideration. Voters sense Corbyn puts narrow political dogma above that primary consideration as evidenced by the film clip that he wished to see the end of nuclear power in the UK to the cheers of his far left supporters. Fatal in Copeland obviously but not much less so elsewhere.
    My emphasis.

I think the NHS is still very important - one of the touchstone issues along with house prices and the cost and ease of motoring. The point is, the public can pick out empty sloganeering when they see it. It's not a substitute for a proper policy on something they know is difficult.

• Options

The weekend papers are going to be a sight to behold wrt to Corbyn and Labour.

It makes writing Sunday's threads in advance a bit of a nightmare.
  • Options

Mr. Fletcher, it's irksome when work is wasted because of something like that.

They had a result of DUP 34, SF 25.5, UUP 9.5, SDLP 8, All 7, Grn 2, PBP 1, TUV 1, Ind 1

Which would be a bloody nightmare.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,962

Goddamn. I've spent an hour putting together an article on NIA odds and PP have removed them. For interest only, here were my recs based on what was up.

Mallon (SDLP) N Belfast @ Evens
    Attwood (SDLP) W Belfast @ 7/2
    Stewart (UUP) E Antrim @2/1
    McCandless (UUP) E L/derry @ 33/1
    Dolan (SF) F&ST @ 15/8
    Overend (UUP) M Ulster @ Evens
    Kennedy (UUP) N & A @ 4/11
    McGuigan (SF) N Antrim @ 8/15
    Kelly (SDLP) Upper Bann @ 11/2

I had pieces about each seat but for now it's pointless.

If PP odds were used as basis of betfair, there's some great lay options. But it's all come down now.

Cheers, I've put as much as Paddy will accept on all those for a total of 250 stake.
  • Options
    Kennedy in N & A has been cut to 3-10 btw but I got on the rest at your advised prices.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @Lucian_FLetcher

The markets are there alright. Politics, Northern Ireland constituencies.

I'm on all your tips anyhow ::)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    So I wasn't dreaming :smiley:
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    edited February 2017
    Mr. D, depends. Where you dreaming of eating babies drenched in butter, with pineapple on top?

Edited extra bit: were*

That's the penalty for procrastinating instead of working...
  • Options

Mr. D, depends. Where you dreaming of eating babies drenched in butter, with pineapple on top?

Edited extra bit: were*

That's the penalty for procrastinating instead of working...

Well I wasn't, but you can bet your bottom dollar I will be now :D
  • Options
    Mr. D, then you probably wouldn't. (My bets all failed in the by-elections. Alas. Woe is me. Behold the Curse of Morris Dancer, and tremble!).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Essexit said:

RobC said:

nunu said:

Essexit said:

no sweetcorn?

Did you mean Batter, yummy
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Very good analysis @AlastairMeeks.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,113
    malcolmg said:

Essexit said:

RobC said:

nunu said:

Essexit said:

no sweetcorn?

Battered pineapple?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Alastair's statement that the LibDems are the "party of Brexit" is surely an editing error .. :smile:

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited February 2017
    JackW said:

Alastair's statement that the LibDems are the "party of Brexit" is surely an editing error .. :smile:

I was waiting for someone to spot that!

EDIT Sadly it was a composing error rather than an editing error.
  • Options

JackW said:

No one will spot it now
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

RobC said:

nunu said:

Essexit said:

no sweetcorn?

Tis a versatile comestible.

Have you seen Last Tango in Paris?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

RobC said:

My emphasis.

I think the NHS is still very important - one of the touchstone issues along with house prices and the cost and ease of motoring. The point is, the public can pick out empty sloganeering when they see it. It's not a substitute for a proper policy on something they know is difficult.
    I think it all stems from the public finances, and that people are realising that just throwing more borrowed money at a problem doesn't necessarily make it go away. They're also increasingly suspicious of any politician promising higher spending in any area, without at the same time identifying either what spending will be cut or what taxes will rise to pay for it.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2017
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39076191

Jo Johnson to backdate £27k tuition fees for all previous graduates.
  • Options
    F1: three days until the first test. A month until the first race weekend.

Alonso's said podium finishes are not enough this year. May well be bluster, but he's hoping, it seems, to return to wins.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39079883

I actually backed him at shorter odds (still long, though) but Vandoorne is 101 for the title. Each way, particularly given Australia's circuit has historically favoured McLaren, that could be worth a small sum as a trading bet, to be hedged immediately after Oz.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Lucian_FLetcher

The markets are there alright. Politics, Northern Ireland constituencies.

I'm on all your tips anyhow ::)

**sniff**

The odds had all changed by the time I found them again. Most were so far out from what I thought that I still went in. McCandless moved from 33/1 to 14/1. Which is probably too short.
  • Options

JackW said:

It could be argued that there was no error. You can make a case that both UKIP and the LibDems are the party OF Brexit - i.e. a party that is defining itself using the issue of Brexit. UKIP are the party FOR Brexit, the LibDems are the party AGAINST Brexit, both are parties OF Brexit - without the issue, what are they for?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

EDIT Sadly it was a composing error rather than an editing error.
    It takes an old Jacobite to keep you young whippersnappers on the mark .. :smile:
  • Options
    Pong said:

Apologies, misread that.

He's just proposing to up tuition fees to £14k/year for *new* students.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Apologies, misread that.

For 2 year courses.

Though I'm sure it'll become a 3 year course.

And then of course the payment which won't be met (As an aggregate). How much extra is the taxpayer going to be funding the Unis now ?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Pong said:

The article is about allowing higher annual fees for two-year intensive degree courses, which on the face of it seems a good idea. There's no mention of what would certainly be illegal retrospective fees for existing graduates, unless the article changed.

Edit: note your correction above.
  • Options
    Okay, Labour are now going beyond parody.

Cat Smith MP describes Labour's performance in Copeland as "An incredible achivement". That's one way of putting it I guess.

https://order-order.com/2017/02/24/cat-smith-copeland-incredible-achievement-labour/
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    James O'Keefe
    This was Ryan Clayton from Bob Creamer group "Americans Take Action" handing Russian flags. Ryan was forcibly removed. You edited that out. https://t.co/hKwywREjn5
  • Options

JackW said:

It could be argued that there was no error. You can make a case that both UKIP and the LibDems are the party OF Brexit - i.e. a party that is defining itself using the issue of Brexit. UKIP are the party FOR Brexit, the LibDems are the party AGAINST Brexit, both are parties OF Brexit - without the issue, what are they for?
    Well the Lib Dems always have potholes and barcharts.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cat Smith MP describes Labour's performance in Copeland as "An incredible achivement". That's one way of putting it I guess.

https://order-order.com/2017/02/24/cat-smith-copeland-incredible-achievement-labour/

She's not wrong.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Essexit said:

RobC said:

nunu said:

Essexit said:

no sweetcorn?

Deep fried pizza...why not indeed.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    PMQs is a microcosm of Labour's irrelevance. When is the last time anyone can remember a single Labour MP asking a question about the economy, or jobs? I know they've got this thing with the NHS running (that worked well in Copeland), but are there any serious people at all left in the PLP?

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Cat Smith, May 2020: "Winning 150 seats was an incredible achievement, from 22 points behind in the polls."
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Apologies, misread that.

For 2 year courses.

Though I'm sure it'll become a 3 year course.

And then of course the payment which won't be met (As an aggregate). How much extra is the taxpayer going to be funding the Unis now ?
    I actually have no problem with upping tuition fees to whatever, so long as there's an equivalent graduate charge/tax imposed. It could be included/added to inheritance tax or something.

But there isn't and there won't be.

The fees just go up and up.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

She's not wrong.
    Must be demob happy, and ready to pick up her P45. Doubt that she has an incumbency advantage in Fleetwood and Lancaster.
  • Options
    scoopscoop Posts: 64
    Born in Whitehaven spent my formative years in Millom. Just listened to radio 5 and Theresa May doing an interview from Millom. A Conservative Prime Minister in Millom with a Local Conservative MP , shows how far below the bar Labour have traveled in such a short time.
  • Options
    Mr. Essexit, in a 600 seat Parliament, it could be lower than that.

We do need a proper Opposition. A part of me is curious to see just what would happen if Corbyn led Labour into an election, though.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Essexit said:

Known as a pizza crunch in Scotland
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Good article. Picking on Labour, it is clear that their metropolitan elite has moved further from its working class base. The elite have found that technology has made them more global and the working class have suffered from globalisation. All the campaigners in the Labour party are elitist or ethnic. No WWC. And I hear this happening now in France and the US for sure. I'm delighted.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pong said:

The article is about allowing higher annual fees for two-year intensive degree courses, which on the face of it seems a good idea. There's no mention of what would certainly be illegal retrospective fees for existing graduates, unless the article changed.

Edit: note your correction above.
    Yeah. I was semi-trolling with my original post.

The government are quite happy to retrospectively change the terms of existing loans though.

They did it just last year.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    "If Labour are to avoid a defeat that exceeds that of the Conservatives in 1997 for severity, they need to act fast. Time is not on their side."

All we are saying is give us Keir Starmer !
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Todays french poll ifop:

Le Pen 26 ..down 0.5
    Macron 23.5 ..up 1
    Fillon 20.5 NC
    Hamon 13 .. down 0.5

http://cdn-new-parismatch.ladmedia.fr/var/ifop/24-02-2017.pdf
  • Options
    Good thread header from Alistair. I particularly agree with his assessment of UKIP. They really are a party without a purpose now. They have achieved the aim for which they were created and should now disband.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Essexit said:

RobC said:

nunu said:

Essexit said:

no sweetcorn?

Battered pineapple?
    as per Chinese restaurants yes, though I was joking about battered pizza originally
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Essexit said:

Known as a pizza crunch in Scotland
    Scott, you must mean "East of Scotland"
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    malcolmg said:

Yer man, Kevin Bridges talks about it in his show, so, no...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,908
    Question - following a by-election gain, if the winners hold it at a GE, does it still on the night count as a Gain from the last GE?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Yer man, Kevin Bridges talks about it in his show, so, no...
    even worse Glasgow, might have known

PS hard to believe they still have them , do they have them in Edinburgh
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Question - following a by-election gain, if the winners hold it at a GE, does it still on the night count as a Gain from the last GE?

Yes.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes it will be considered a gain at the by election.

It is done so we can calculate things like share of the vote/swings etc from the last general election.

For example at GE2015 Rochester and Strood was called a Con Hold and Clacton a UKIP gain.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

PS hard to believe they still have them , do they have them in Edinburgh

When I was at school, I do remember going to the chippy at lunchtime and getting pizza. But that was not yesterday
  • Options
    Prentis:

"Let Copeland be our final warning, not the latest signpost on the road to decline."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/02/copeland-must-be-labours-final-warning

Looks like Corbyn is now on borrowed time. I really don't think Tories can rely on him being there in 2019/20.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes, most commentators will compare one GE result to the previous GE result, which nullifies any interim by-election changes.

So Con winning Copeland in 2020 will be a gain :)
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    Len's effectively got the whip hand over the Labour National Executive Committee.

The end looks nigh for Jezza for me.

One last push from Woodcock in Barrow should tip the barge.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

She's not wrong.
    Must be demob happy, and ready to pick up her P45. Doubt that she has an incumbency advantage in Fleetwood and Lancaster.
    or she is on psycho-active drugs.

• Options
    Jez is losing the unions.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Yes, most commentators will compare one GE result to the previous GE result, which nullifies any interim by-election changes.

So Con winning Copeland in 2020 will be a gain :)
    Doubt we will notice it much on the night as vast swathes of Northern England and Midlands fall to the Tories.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,908
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:
    Len's effectively got the whip hand over the Labour National Executive Committee.

It's more I'm suspicious if he will get other 'final' warnings.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Losing Leigh to the Tories would be the end surely?
This discussion has been closed.