Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May is still the only politician with a net favourable

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,016
    justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

To me it feels very, very likely that TM will call a general election in May or over next few months, assuming by elections go ok.

Her poll rating are stratospheric and she would presumably get a big majority.

Perhaps trigger article 50 in march then go to country for a mandate to support her negotiating strategy.

I know people say with fixed term act it's harder to call election, but who is going to vote against the idea of an election?

I just cannot see any possible advantage to her in letting go the term run. Things are just bound to go downhill and risk unravelling.

She has also has perfect excuse to call it as she can say brexit most important decision since war etc...Important I have support for my strategy from British people...

I know she is very cautious but surely she would be insain not to take this opportunity to avoid being a 1 term premier?

Why would Labour facilitate an election if all the omens point to a heavy defeat for them?
    Indeed. It is true that it may be seen as embarrassing to shy away from such a contest, particularly as the opposition did what they usually do in these situations and called for a GE when the new PM took over, but embarrassment is survivable and there seems at least a chance Labour could revive if Brexit starts messing up. And going to vote of no confidence in themselves option is not without problems for the Tories.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

To me it feels very, very likely that TM will call a general election in May or over next few months, assuming by elections go ok.

Perhaps trigger article 50 in march then go to country for a mandate to support her negotiating strategy.

I know people say with fixed term act it's harder to call election, but who is going to vote against the idea of an election?

I just cannot see any possible advantage to her in letting go the term run. Things are just bound to go downhill and risk unravelling.

She has also has perfect excuse to call it as she can say brexit most important decision since war etc...Important I have support for my strategy from British people...

I know she is very cautious but surely she would be insain not to take this opportunity to avoid being a 1 term premier?

Why would Labour facilitate an election if all the omens point to a heavy defeat for them?
    Well, they could start rebuilding under a new leader....
  • Options
    Can you really see Corbyn and Labour opposing a vote for an election to give May a mandate to negotiate? What would be the line? We don't think it's worth asking the British people to give may a mandate...She has one already to do as she wishes? Doesn't make sense to me..
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Charles said:

"... now an Orthodox church. Worth popping inside if you ever get the chance. ..."

Are not all Orthodox churches? From tiny ones in out of the way parts of small Greek islands, to massive cathedrals and even St Dunstan in the West in Fleet Street (shared between CofE and Romanian Orthodox), they all repay a visit.

St Dunstan's only "even" worth a visit?

If you ask nicely I could take you to our family crypt under the church :smiley:

(And technically it's not "shared" - we let them use it, but they have no rights...)
    Just to be clear... I am referring to the Romanians, not the occupants of the crypt!
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

Corbynite Labour may genuinely believe the polls are wrong and an army of non-voters is ready to put their man in Number 10.

Blairite Labour knows what the polls say, but would take an election defeat as a chance to get rid of Corbyn.

The optics of shying away from an election are bad all around.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

Indeed. It is true that it may be seen as embarrassing to shy away from such a contest, particularly as the opposition did what they usually do in these situations and called for a GE when the new PM took over, but embarrassment is survivable and there seems at least a chance Labour could revive if Brexit starts messing up. And going to vote of no confidence in themselves option is not without problems for the Tories.
    May has said she wont call an early election. I think one thing we have learned is she sticks to her word. I can only see an early GE if there is some resistance that is blocking Brexit.

But, yes, she would be bonkers not to go early, especially as seems to be a bit of mood music that Corbyn will stand down at some point (age 70?). Even Owen Jones has deserted him.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    bazzer72 said:

Can you really see Corbyn and Labour opposing a vote for an election to give May a mandate to negotiate? What would be the line? We don't think it's worth asking the British people to give may a mandate...She has one already to do as she wishes? Doesn't make sense to me..

Article 50 will have been triggered and the clock would be ticking, the country cannot afford to hit the pause button for months while it fights a GE, even if that means the country will be led by May for the time being, and Labour will ensure she is held accountable on her negotiation every moment until a GE would not be a distraction.

Not saying it would be hugely convincing, but people will forgive the awkwardness of being afraid of a GE now, if in a few years Labour look credible once again.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

They might if only to get it over with and then have shot of Corbyn.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

Labour rebels might very well defy the whip on that if they thought Corbyn might finally go. I've decided he's a robot though and will be Labour leader forever. If you're passing through any caves with etchings please check for a beardy bloke on the edge of the etching.

The Tories are unlikely to want an election anyway - an overall majority is a pretty good result with our newfound diversity of parties.

The people that really need an election are the LDs. Although they're having a bit of a resurgence in popularity their Wesminster experience which Clegg managed to produce is evaporating.
  • Options
    England are going to lose this.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    bazzer72 said:

If she was going to take that line she needed to do so last Autumn. It is a bit late now. Plenty of precedents anyway for not having an election following appointment of new PM - Brown - Major - Callaghan - Douglas- Home - Macmillan - Chamberlain.
  • Options

justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

Well, they could start rebuilding under a new leader....
    Better to change the leader and maybe avoid the defeat!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161
    edited February 2017

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

May has said she wont call an early election. I think one thing we have learned is she sticks to her word. I can only see an early GE if there is some resistance that is blocking Brexit.

But, yes, she would be bonkers not to go early, especially as seems to be a bit of mood music that Corbyn will stand down at some point (age 70?). Even Owen Jones has deserted him.
    Given she invokes Article 50 at the end of March if no election has been called by then there will not be a general election until Brexit has been completed ie the end of 2019 at the earliest. If the Tories win Copeland she may be tempted but I doubt she will go for it
  • Options
    edited February 2017

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

Your second point is why I always consider the first point meaningless spin, as you've just given an example where she'd go back on her word. I don't doubt May meant what she said at the time, but this idea she would stick to her word no matter what is ignoring the reality that she is a politician and that events mean opinions can change. I don't happen to think she will call for a GE, though the temptation must be enormous, but if she thought it was a good idea and the circumstances are different she'd consider. Frankly, the idea she would lock down her opinion because she gave her word half a year ago is not a point in her favour. Sometimes it is warranted.

You've given an example where she would likely reconsider, and could easily justify doing so on that basis. There may or may not be other reasons which you or I might consider her reconsidering it justified, but if she felt it in the best interests of party and country (in most situations what is best for the party would also be considered best for the country of course, although I doubt she'd make a call like that lightly) she'd be right to reconsider.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

Labour rebels might very well defy the whip on that if they thought Corbyn might finally go. I've decided he's a robot though and will be Labour leader forever. If you're passing through any caves with etchings please check for a beardy bloke on the edge of the etching.

The Tories are unlikely to want an election anyway - an overall majority is a pretty good result with our newfound diversity of parties.

The people that really need an election are the LDs. Although they're having a bit of a resurgence in popularity their Wesminster experience which Clegg managed to produce is evaporating.
    Labour MPs would not defy the whip on that. They would be refused endorsement by the NEC and effectively deselected.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

So what? An undefeated year, then lots of injuries, a loss was bound to happen at some point. Jones and England will have built up plenty of goodwill and leeway. A little disappointing after 2016 if so though.
  • Options
    She had to dampen speculation last year. Learning the lesson of Gordon browns false start election disaster. She desperately needs a mandate. Will dog her when going gets tough. Why can't she't trigger and say: "now that we begin the process of brexit, it is only right that the British people have the chance to define the type of brexit they want. I believe my white paper means the Conservatives have the best chance of making a success of brexit".

You say she can't say that now after what was said in the Autumn. It would be no bigger a u turn surely than Cameron quitting the day after brexit. That was always inevitable given the result, but for political reasons his holding line was that he would stay on. It was incredible but people swallowed it. No election was surely just last autumn's holding line while they waited to see how things panned out?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

Your second point is why I always consider the first point meaningless spin, as you've just given an example where she'd go back on her word. I don't doubt May meant what she said at the time, but this idea she would stick to her word no matter what is ignoring the reality that she is a politician and that events mean opinions can change. I don't happen to think she will call for a GE, though the temptation must be enormous, but if she thought it was a good idea and the circumstances are different she'd consider. Frankly, the idea she would lock down her opinion because she gave her word half a year ago is not a point in her favour. Sometimes it is warranted.

You've given an example where she would likely reconsider, and could easily justify doing so on that basis. There may or may not be other reasons which you or I might consider her reconsidering it justified, but if she felt it in the best interests of party and country (in most situations what is best for the party would also be considered best for the country of course, although I doubt she'd make a call like that lightly) she'd be right to reconsider.
    On the same basis,of course, Corbyn is free to change his mind about not opposing an early election.
  • Options
    Corbyn ran his party of one for many years - he doesn't need any support. I suspect he may not even like support.

He's not going to go for financial corruption. He's not clever enough.

Sex scandals are out too as he's slept with Dianne Abbott and nothing else could be more surprising.

The wholesale undermining of our state to the benefit of the Russians is almost on his CV, so that won't work.

So, robot or not, he's going to be at the helm for ever and ever and ever - even beyond the time that it might take for Burnham to make up his mind.

• Options
    bazzer72 said:

She had to dampen speculation last year. Learning the lesson of Gordon browns false start election disaster. She desperately needs a mandate. Will dog her when going gets tough. Why can't she't trigger and say: "now that we begin the process of brexit, it is only right that the British people have the chance to define the type of brexit they want. I believe my white paper means the Conservatives have the best chance of making a success of brexit".

You say she can't say that now after what was said in the Autumn. It would be no bigger a u turn surely than Cameron quitting the day after brexit. That was always inevitable given the result, but for political reasons his holding line was that he would stay on. It was incredible but people swallowed it. No election was surely just last autumn's holding line while they waited to see how things panned out?

But Cameron is now widely seen as a bare-faced liar. I am not sure that May is keen to be seen in the same light!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Finally a try!
  • Options
    bazzer72 said:

No she doesn't, 17 million people voted Leave and the Tories already have an overall majority, that is mandate enough. Though if the Tories gain Copeland that would send her off to Brussels with an added spring in her step!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

On the same basis,of course, Corbyn is free to change his mind about not opposing an early election.
    Of course. Each may take some blowback for changing position, and Corbyn for one might find it more difficult to pretend the reason for the change was not political given he is in the worse position, but there are legitimate reasons both might want to change position and nobody is committed based on past statements.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    An increased Labour majority in Copeland will kill any talk of an early GE
  • Options

And a LD win definitely would!
  • Options
    Stirrings of the Progressive Alliance in deepest Nottinghamshire. I hear that Greens and LibDems have formed an electoral alliance for May's County election.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Somewhat symbolic of a slight shift from England to France in the global league table post Brexit, on some measures France is now the bigger economy and Paris looks set to take at least some business from London now the UK is leaving the single market. Looks like I spoke too soon, England now back in front!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Omnium said:

justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

Labour MPs would not defy the whip on that. They would be refused endorsement by the NEC and effectively deselected.
    Yes but the NEC would never be able to act before the election. However any rebels are done no good at all if they don't get re-elected.

Anyway both Corbyn and the NEC has to go. The MPs just haven't worked out how to keep all of the bits they like about the Labour party and get rid of the idealogues. The longer they wait the more established the stupid will become - for example Dianne Abbot.
  • Options

Fat chance of that happening if my recent phone calls there are anything to go by, Corbyn is certainly not flavour of the month in Cumbria, Brexit is
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So what? An undefeated year, then lots of injuries, a loss was bound to happen at some point. Jones and England will have built up plenty of goodwill and leeway. A little disappointing after 2016 if so though.
    England have won anyway
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

England have won anyway
    Indeed - lot of belief in the team to struggle through. Could be a very open six nations though. Unlike any early GE.
  • Options
    Not as good a match as we saw earlier, but a result's a result I guess. Lucky break for England.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

England have won anyway
    Indeed - lot of belief in the team to struggle through. Could be a very open six nations though. Unlike any early GE.
    A guy I know who is a rugby nut tipped Scotland to me the other day. I was pretty astonished. Anyway put £2 on anyway as he knows what he is talking about.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

FFS

How did we win that????

Heh

Symbolic or some such bollocks.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

England have won anyway
    Wales are my tip, especially if they start with a big win against Italy tomorrow
  • Options
    Full time: England 19 France 16 - How we pulled that off I don't know, but a win is a win :lol:
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

England have won anyway
    Is that 'symbolic' of something too?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

England have won anyway
    We'll 'play' the negotiations on Brexit poorly but still come out with a win of course. Everything is symbolic of Brexit.
  • Options
    Weren't we promised an article about the statesman-like qualities of Rebecca Long-Bailey at some point earlier?

I was looking forwards to comparing and contrasting it with the soliloquy on the merits of Richard Burgon, who some months ago was offered up as a potential savior of the Labour party.

It seems to me that someone is working from the bottom up on their list.

• Options
    Mr. HYUFD, that's unlikely. That said, Italy at home have beaten most teams at least once, but I'd expect Wales to win easily, and for that to not mean very much.

Mr. Borough, best of luck with your bet. Not sure it'll come off, though. Do you plan to hedge, or hold onto it?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,000
    edited February 2017
    May is NOT going to have a may election. The fixed term parliament act is in place, and she has the mother of all negotiations coming up. How would our european counterparts look on us if we're going to take a time out to have a blimming election in the meantime ?

The only place any sort of Brexit blocking might go on is the Lords, and a GE changes nothing in the other place.

I can't believe people are seriously entertaining such guff. Are you the ones backing 5-2 on Betfair for the early election ???
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

England have won anyway
    England comfortably beat France by 10 points last year but just 3 points tonight, so certainly a narrowing of the gap even if England just ahead for now
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, that's unlikely. That said, Italy at home have beaten most teams at least once, but I'd expect Wales to win easily, and for that to not mean very much.

Mr. Borough, best of luck with your bet. Not sure it'll come off, though. Do you plan to hedge, or hold onto it?

Wales v England is likely to be the decider
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

May is NOT going to have a may election. The fixed term parliament act is in place, and she has the mother of all negotiations coming up. How would our european counterparts look on us if we're going to take a time out to have a blimming election in the meantime ?

The only place any sort of Brexit blocking might go on is the Lords, and a GE changes nothing in the other place.

I can't believe people are seriously entertaining such guff. Are you the ones backing 5-2 on Betfair for the early election ???

The good Tory poll numbers just make it all so tempting is all, but it just doesn't seem feasible,
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    HYUFD said:

Somewhat symbolic of a slight shift from England to France in the global league table post Brexit, on some measures France is now the bigger economy and Paris looks set to take at least some business from London now the UK is leaving the single market. Looks like I spoke too soon, England now back in front!
    France had a bigger economy than England both before and after Brexit no matter what measure you want to use.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

England have won anyway
    We'll 'play' the negotiations on Brexit poorly but still come out with a win of course. Everything is symbolic of Brexit.
    Yes, everything is symbolic of Brexit somehow.

Mrs M is doing steak tonight which will (as always) be superb - and which will in due course lead to a very satisfying dump some time afterwards. I'll work out the symbolism as we go and get back to everyone later with my analysis.
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, maybe. Both results today were very close. The silly bonus points may determine the tournament winner.
  • Options

Full time: England 19 France 16 - How we pulled that off I don't know, but a win is a win :lol:

LEAVE 19
    REMAIN 16

:lol:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

I predict this match will foreshadow Brexit. Paris will hope to gain from London, the EU will hope to punish the UK, but in a dour, scrappy face-off, Perfidious Albion will somehow engineer a marginal victory - an actual if sketchy gain for London.

But the spectacle will be so turgid and protracted people will wonder whether it was all worth it, given the modest changes. Et voila.
    Good summary, both Macron and Fillon have said they want to attract business to Paris from London and Verhofstadt and Juncker are clearly in no mood to compromise but I think May will tough it out and get at least a workable deal albeit with the controls on free movement based more on a more marginal change like a job offer requirement than bordering up the Channel Tunnel!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

The good Tory poll numbers just make it all so tempting is all, but it just doesn't seem feasible,
    The PM has a mandate for Brexit, which is her primary task for this parliament. She will not delay or interrupt the negotiations once they have started with a general election imho, no matter how enticing to polls are.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

England have won anyway
    England comfortably beat France by 10 points last year but just 3 points tonight, so certainly a narrowing of the gap even if England just ahead for now
    England have been hammered by injuries. A full strength England team would comfortably beat France.
    Who knows, you can only play the team in front of you and this was at fortress Twickenham not Paris like last year
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

HYUFD said:

France had a bigger economy than England both before and after Brexit no matter what measure you want to use.
    Not the UK though and maybe not England and Leave voting Wales
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

England have won anyway
    England have been hammered by injuries. A full strength England team would comfortably beat France.
    Who knows, you can only play the team in front of you and this was at fortress Twickenham not Paris like last year
    You've always got to fancy this England side at home, only New Zealand would be (marginal) favourites I think maybe.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

The PM has a mandate for Brexit, which is her primary task for this parliament. She will not delay or interrupt the negotiations once they have started with a general election imho, no matter how enticing to polls are.
    One reason it is not feasible, but until they begin in earnest or the Tories do badly electorally (somewhere they cannot excuse away like Richmond) the calls will continue as long as the polls are so positive.
  • Options
    Wales v England at Principality Stadium, Cardiff 4:50pm

This is the key match.
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, maybe. Both results today were very close. The silly bonus points may determine the tournament winner.

Will certainly be an interesting tournament
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

England have won anyway
    You've always got to fancy this England side at home, only New Zealand would be (marginal) favourites I think maybe.
    Certainly, so that gave England an added advantage this year
  • Options

We'll just have to win every game then, in which case just as with a no bonus point system we definitely win.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    edited February 2017
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

I predict this match will foreshadow Brexit. Paris will hope to gain from London, the EU will hope to punish the UK, but in a dour, scrappy face-off, Perfidious Albion will somehow engineer a marginal victory - an actual if sketchy gain for London.

But the spectacle will be so turgid and protracted people will wonder whether it was all worth it, given the modest changes. Et voila.
    Good summary, both Macron and Fillon have said they want to attract business to Paris from London and Verhofstadt and Juncker are clearly in no mood to compromise but I think May will tough it out and get at least a workable deal albeit with the controls on free movement based more on a more marginal change like a job offer requirement than bordering up the Channel Tunnel!
    No one seems to acknowledge how marginalized the UK is at the moment. Europe are laughing at our pretensions. As if they would want Theresa May to speak on their behalf!

Trying to patronize the French is never a good idea but as they are now the only member of the security council representing 450,000,000 EU members it just sounds laughable,
  • Options
    Omnium said:

justin124 said:

Omnium said:

justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

Yes but the NEC would never be able to act before the election. However any rebels are done no good at all if they don't get re-elected.

Anyway both Corbyn and the NEC has to go. The MPs just haven't worked out how to keep all of the bits they like about the Labour party and get rid of the idealogues. The longer they wait the more established the stupid will become - for example Dianne Abbot.
    Of course the NEC would meet before an election!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Wales v England at Principality Stadium, Cardiff 4:50pm

This is the key match.

England v Scotland will be interesting, given the spirited Jock performance today.
    Its at Twickenham though, I think that means we will trounce them. At Murrayfield they might have had a chance.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Your ho would seem to be a very wise one.
    (Humble opinion clearly)
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, not studied the daft points in detail, but if that's true... why have the bonus points?

Whilst I'm not exactly keeping up with rugby, the Six Nations does provide a nice little distraction before F1 finally returns.
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

No one seems to acknowledge how marginalized the UK is at the moment. Europe are laughing at our pretensions. As if they would want Theresa May to speak on their behalf!

Trying to patronize the French is never a good idea but as they are now the only member of the security council representing 450,000,000 EU members it just sounds laughable,
    It would make sense for the French to hand that Security Council seat over to the EU
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Omnium said:

justin124 said:

Omnium said:

justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

So meet and refuse endorsement and thus precipitate reselection which just has a couple of weeks? I'm entirely happy to bow to your superior knowledge if that is plausible, but I just didn't think it was.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited February 2017
    GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

England have won anyway
    Yes, everything is symbolic of Brexit somehow.

Mrs M is doing steak tonight which will (as always) be superb - and which will in due course lead to a very satisfying dump some time afterwards. I'll work out the symbolism as we go and get back to everyone later with my analysis.
    Haha
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Mr. kle4, not studied the daft points in detail, but if that's true... why have the bonus points?

In case there isn't a grand slam winner I'd imagine, so it isn't decided on scored points difference or something - it was linked to below, if you win each game you get 3 bonus points, meaning even if you got no bonus points in your 5 wins, and someone who won 4 and lost 1 with maximum bonus points, the team which won every game is still top (4+4+4+4+4+3 vs 5+5+5+5+2).

I could have done without it, and there are scenarios which would probably annoy me, but you still end up top even if you squeak out each win.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Is the UK so marginalised? Trump US + May UK =2/5 permanent UN Security Council members, add in Putin's Russia you have a majority even if France + China start voting together but I expect the UK to place itself somewhere between the US and French position on most issues
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    GeoffM said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

It would make sense for the French to hand that Security Council seat over to the EU
    Want a bet that doesn't happen?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

justin124 said:

Omnium said:

justin124 said:

Omnium said:

justin124 said:

bazzer72 said:

So meet and refuse endorsement and thus precipitate reselection which just has a couple of weeks? I'm entirely happy to bow to your superior knowledge if that is plausible, but I just didn't think it was.

New candidates would effectively be parachuted in - but this scenario will not come to pass.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

No one seems to acknowledge how marginalized the UK is at the moment. Europe are laughing at our pretensions.
    How very patronising and unhelpful to everyone including them that would be - clearly we are not the only ones being silly then, how is laughing at us a good thing for anybody, I thought they were supposed to be superior to us in every way.
  • Options
    Charles said:

GeoffM said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Want a bet that doesn't happen?
    I won't be holding my breath for the paperwork to get drawn up, no!
  • Options

Whilst I'm not exactly keeping up with rugby, the Six Nations does provide a nice little distraction before F1 finally returns.

We said the same about F1's double points experiment in 2015, yet in the end it made no difference to the championship winner.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    edited February 2017
    kle4 said:

In case there isn't a grand slam winner I'd imagine, so it isn't decided on scored points difference or something - it was linked to below, if you win each game you get 3 bonus points, meaning even if you got no bonus points in your 5 wins, and someone who won 4 and lost 1 with maximum bonus points, the team which won every game is still top (4+4+4+4+4+3 vs 5+5+5+5+2).

I could have done without it, and there are scenarios which would probably annoy me, but you still end up top even if you squeak out each win.
    I wonder what the odds are of one team getting 4+4+4+4+4+3 and another getting 5+5+5+5+2? The head to head would need the winner to score less than four tries, to win by seven or fewer and for the loser to score four or more tries.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, due to fortune. Had Hamilton rather than Rosberg suffered ERS failure at the final race, Rosberg would've taken the title.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    GeoffM said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

A look at the five largest economic blocs gives as new SC members: China, EU, US, India, Japan - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)

The lack of Russia in the top five and the presence of Japan might be a tiny bit problematic, given the history behind the formation of the UN in 1945.
  • Options
    Roger said:

No one seems to acknowledge how marginalized the UK is at the moment.

They mainly don't do that because it isn't true.

We are isolated in that our fate is our own, but everyone wants to be in touch though just to see how it goes.

It's been many years since we have been so important. Of course nearly everyone expects that importance to fade and for us to become very marginalized as you suggest. Just at the moment though the reverse is true.

• Options
    I wouldn't sweat the new points system, the odds that the "wrong winner" emerges must be slim.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

And just imagine the disaster of us, three to six months into Brexit negotiations, changing administrations and therefore our entire negotiating position.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, then it's a pointless (ahem) change. Fiddling with things for the sake of it. A Bercow Indulgence.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Is the UK so marginalised? Trump US + May UK =2/5 permanent UN Security Council members, add in Putin's Russia you have a majority even if France + China start voting together but I expect the UK to place itself somewhere between the US and French position on most issues
    Majority in the context of the P5 is meaningless. The P5 cannot guarantee a majority of the UNSC as they are a minority. And the P5 never take votes on a P5 position - they all have the veto. What they do qua P5 is consult.
  • Options
    Latest brotherly development:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38869928

ASLEF 1-0 RMT (or should that be 19-16?)
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:

I agree it's unlikely but really not impossible. Brexit is triggered on March 12th, May asks Parliament for an election, which passes with the required two-thirds majority, and polling day is on May 4th along with the local elections. There was talk a few days about the Tories accelerating candidate selections in Labour seats.

Very do-able and no impact on the negotiations.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    On the next GE date, unless something happens in the next week or two that derails the A50 vote, there's not going to be a GE before 2019. My reasoning is that it isn't a risk worth taking during the negotiation phase, it would either be before the start, or right at the end when something important gets voted down.

The secondary consideration is the boundary changes, which are due at the end of 2018. It's difficult to underestimate the importance of this to the Conservative party, the last thing they want is for another five years under the old boundaries - especially if there's the opportunity to have Labour commit ritual suicide by forcing reselections on almost everyone.

2019 GE is currently 8.2 on Betfair, longer than 2018. I think there's some value there. DYOR as always. https://www.betfair.com/exchange/#/politics/event/28051210/market?marketId=1.125858951
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

@TheWhiteRabbit and anyone else curious:

h.ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6U9T3R3EQg

Everything from how to put out fires to how to dispose of toilet waste to how not to get the fallout dust in your baked beans. Gloomy stuff.

Thanks for posting that. I have just watched it all. What baffles me is that I was in my 20s in the 1970s - and yet I have never seen or heard of that series of films before now. Or the book(let) they recommend.

Where was I? What was I doing? How could I miss out on that?

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    Good evening, Miss JGP.

Lucky for you there wasn't a nuclear apocalypse :p
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Sandpit said:

The secondary consideration is the boundary changes, which are due at the end of 2018. It's difficult to underestimate the importance of this to the Conservative party

Very important to me too - I cannot stand that a large village and a small village both contiguous with the town I live in are located at present in a different parliamentary constituency. I know that's petty and is probably replicated in many places, but it always irritates me.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

GeoffM said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

A look at the five largest economic blocs gives as new SC members: China, EU, US, India, Japan - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)

The lack of Russia in the top five and the presence of Japan might be a tiny bit problematic, given the history behind the formation of the UN in 1945.
    I always prefer to think in terms of exports, as to relative world importance.

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_exports

And this was before the oil price collapse. So Russia is a less import economy than Taiwan, Spain or... embarrassingly... Belgium.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

And this was before the oil price collapse. So Russia is a less import economy than Taiwan, Spain or... embarrassingly... Belgium.
    ...which is pretty much a non-country ;)
  • Options
    Essexit said:

rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

...which is pretty much a non-country ;)
    With a huge diamond market.
  • Options
    PaganPagan Posts: 259
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Roger why do you hate a country that gave you everything, your education, the ability to pursue your dreams? With all your pretensions to high culture etc. lets face it what have you given back? What great art have you provided us? What life changing philosophies have you endowed to our great nation you so disparage?

Oh thats right use the right tampon and you too can rollerskate while wearing white jeans!

You do know their are people on council estates that do better art than that using spray cans?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,057
    Mr Ears, thank you for your comments upthread. My avatar was lifted from a poster at a university advertising a talk I was about to give!

I often go to a meeting close to Colchester's newest public building; FirstSite. I'm by no means certain that it fits in, or is appropriate for the town.

• Options
    Mr. 1000, be fair. Belgium has nice chocolates and a splendid F1 circuit.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Majority in the context of the P5 is meaningless. The P5 cannot guarantee a majority of the UNSC as they are a minority. And the P5 never take votes on a P5 position - they all have the veto. What they do qua P5 is consult.
    They do have powers of influence though as the largest powers and if it looks like at least 1 member will veto a measure there is little point in pushing it
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

There is no EU state and until there is France is certainly not going to hand over to it. India is also still not in the top 5 by GDP on a nominal basis. Given the UNSC is mainly focused on foreign policy rather than economics (that is the role of the G20 now which has India and Japan as members anyway) I see little reason to include India and Japan as they take little interest in foreign policy beyond their immediate region unlike Russia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited February 2017
    Pagan said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Roger why do you hate a country that gave you everything, your education, the ability to pursue your dreams? With all your pretensions to high culture etc. lets face it what have you given back? What great art have you provided us? What life changing philosophies have you endowed to our great nation you so disparage?

Oh thats right use the right tampon and you too can rollerskate while wearing white jeans!

You do know their are people on council estates that do better art than that using spray cans?
    The UK has given you everything?
    Golly, that sounds a bit statist and disparaging of an individual's ability to make their own way in life.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Yet Russia is the largest nation by land area and in effect the number 1 global foreign policy power at the moment, on that chart of exports it is also ahead of India and Spain
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    I've been ill for the last few days and catching up on Steve Bannon. Reading the rumours online it seems likely that there is a battle for control between Preibus/Pence/Ryan and Bannon in the White House and it is Bannon who is winning.

Bannon is almost beyond parody but on looking at his own words he is a nutcase who is hellbent on starting 1) a race war against Islam by lumping together all muslims with extremists (epitomised by the current 'muslim ban', 2) A war with China over its invasion of the south china sea.

Forget everything that happened before. The axis in global politics really is now sane vs insane. This article by Freedland is on the mark.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/04/white-house-agenda-collapse-global-order-war
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

And just imagine the disaster of us, three to six months into Brexit negotiations, changing administrations and therefore our entire negotiating position.
    I think even now the prospect of Tim Farron winning the next election and becoming PM and keeping us in the single market is rather remote!
This discussion has been closed.