Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » More gloomy by-election news for UKIP and the LD surge continu

Comments

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited February 2017

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Here's a little something you won't find Jeremy Hunt smugly announcing in Parliament. Half of all 2nd year junior doctors are not continuing their specialty training in NHS. This was only 25% in 2011. Where are all these extra consultants going to come from Mr Hunt? The Europeans certainly don't want to come.

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/news/story/careers-destination-report-2016

If I could I would sponsor all doctors university fees subject to them committing a minimum of 10 years service in the NHS
    I'm sure bonded labour would do wonders for medical student recruitment.
    Are you saying free tuition fees subject to a period of loyalty to the NHS is bonded labour. I think the vast majority of voters would disagree with you, after all it would be their money providing the sponsorship
    There was a case om Judge Judy where a similar arrangement was ruled as slavery
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

The Times is now one of the few UK papers turning a healthy profit, and growing its subscribing readership (online). People WILL pay for quality journalism

Paywalls WORK.

The Grauniad is still begging people to donate...

QED
    For less than the price of a coffee a week = £5.

I'm pretty sure value-pack jars of coffee costs a lot less than a fiver and will last for weeks.

Perhaps jars of instant coffee not that popular in N1, that said.
    They should focus on turning themselves into a target for Trump's abuse to drive up the number of subscribers.
  • Options

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Here's a little something you won't find Jeremy Hunt smugly announcing in Parliament. Half of all 2nd year junior doctors are not continuing their specialty training in NHS. This was only 25% in 2011. Where are all these extra consultants going to come from Mr Hunt? The Europeans certainly don't want to come.

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/news/story/careers-destination-report-2016

If I could I would sponsor all doctors university fees subject to them committing a minimum of 10 years service in the NHS
    Are you saying free tuition fees subject to a period of loyalty to the NHS is bonded labour. I think the vast majority of voters would disagree with you, after all it would be their money providing the sponsorship
    That is just nonsense
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    midwinter said:

Justin 124 I disagree. it does show that UKIP are not winning anywhere - in essence, LEAVE is not a clear brand but I feel REMAIN probably is...the Lib Dems seem to be picking up a core vote that I can only think is linked to the "not leave"......so I would stand by my point. The media only talks about the parties in terms of one thing - BREXIT, that must have a role...along with hospitals. libraries, creches etc which all have a bearing in locals

Both are clear brands but the Lib Dems are the only game in town as far as the most committed Remainers are concerned in the same way that pre referendum UKIP represented anyone whos political stance was determined almost entirely on dislike the EU.
    On that basis Remain voters in the other Rotherham ward would have turned out for the LibDem candidate. As it was, they polled 4% and came in 8th!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

If no decision to leave the EEA has been made then it's proof that May's whole shock and awe hard Brexit launch is just an elaborate bluff. What she really wants is Dave's Deal Deluxe.

The decision clearly has been all but made; it just hasn't been announced. Very hard to square EEA membership with being outside the customs union and the Single Market. However, I guess the govt won't entirely rule it out as it's a possible mechanism (1) for transition, and (2) for a bespoke partial deal. What won't happen is full permanent EEA membership.
    There is a finesse whereby, as members of the EEA the government can say: we are not members of the single market, however we participate in the single market.

They will probably neglect to mention that as members of the EEA we will, through that organisation, have be participants of the EEA agreement and thereby EU laws governed by the CJEU.
    Nope. The laws governing the EFTA members are adjudicated by the EFTA Court.

But of course the main point that will probably kill EEA membership is going to be freedom of movement unfortunately.
    Well as we have rehearsed at great length on here, the EFTA court adjudicates on matters of interpretation of EEA rules. The EEA decides to incorporate EU law into the EEA agreement and when it is incorporated thus, it is subject to the CJEU.
    Not so. No rules are incorporated without the agreement of the EFTA members to begin with. Once they are in place the ECJ has no power over how the rules are enforced by EEA members. That decision rests entirely with the EFTA court.
  • Options
    Mr. Midwinter, indeed. There's also a view that people are more motivated by push than pull factors (ie they're more likely to run away from something hated than towards something beloved).

Labour's hokey-cokey on the EU in recent months also means there's plenty of room for Farron to plant his flag in the EU-phile territory without much contest.

Oddly, it's a bit similar to the Conservatives taking the EU-sceptic mantle away from UKIP. Obviously, north of the border the SNP has the Lib Dem position, so I'd expect the yellows to still struggle in Scotland, certainly relative to England.

I do wonder if Corbyn will face a General Election. If so, it might help provide a definitive indication of Labour's floor.
  • Options

Interesting that at the High Court case this morning, the plaintiffs are basing their arguments upon exactly the position I have long argued on here - that our EEA membership is independent of our membership of the EU and leaving one does not automatically mean leaving the other.

Yes, we discussed it here at some length many months ago - another good example of PB being well ahead of the mainstream media in identifying the issues.

Assuming the case eventually does get heard, we'll see which of us was right! The government is using exactly the argument I used - that we are signatories in our capacity as EU members.

Edit: Altered to reflect the fact that the High Court aren't allowing the challenge to be heard
    I assume that if the Government do say we are leaving the EEA either automatically or by choice then the challenge will return so hopefully we will still get some resolution of the question.
    I would expect it would be in the final deal and any vote would include leaving the EAA
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

I seem to recall that in my youth working for one’s sponsor for a few years after qualification wasn’t unusual. IIRC it applied to teachers and sometimes to pharmacists.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,914
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

The Times is now one of the few UK papers turning a healthy profit, and growing its subscribing readership (online). People WILL pay for quality journalism

Paywalls WORK.

QED

I'm pretty sure value-pack jars of coffee costs a lot less than a fiver and will last for weeks.

When they put it like that I always think it looks such terrible value.

£5/week is a lot. It's more than Netflix or the TV licence or a cheap mobile phone contract.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Sean_F said:

UKIP's demise is a cause for celebration. Let's face it, in the end it became a vehicle for middle-class bigots who conspired to trumpet the 'concerns' of the 'white working class' as a way of masking their own agenda of hate. EU membership barely crossed their imagination in the end, and only then when it provided the opportunity to bash foreigners. Of course, these people won't go away - many will find refuge in the growing Trumpite wing of the Tory party - but as a particularly noxious and subversive entity in British politics, UKIP's death can't come soon enough.

Yet, we won and you lost.

We'll see how it pans out and what kind of relationship we end up having with the EU. Trump may turn out to be a game-changer in Europe, but maybe not in the way that the hard right was hoping for.

Your position on the UK being dragged down depends on Trump, the people he appoints to advise him, the Republican majority in the House of Representatives, the Republican majority in the Senate, the Supreme Court with its conservative majority restored, the US banks and big business - all failing to deliver world trade that actually prospers.

That would require some epic fail by the US. On the bright side, you'd only have 4 years of Trump, not 8.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131

TOPPING said:

If no decision to leave the EEA has been made then it's proof that May's whole shock and awe hard Brexit launch is just an elaborate bluff. What she really wants is Dave's Deal Deluxe.

The decision clearly has been all but made; it just hasn't been announced. Very hard to square EEA membership with being outside the customs union and the Single Market. However, I guess the govt won't entirely rule it out as it's a possible mechanism (1) for transition, and (2) for a bespoke partial deal. What won't happen is full permanent EEA membership.
    There is a finesse whereby, as members of the EEA the government can say: we are not members of the single market, however we participate in the single market.

They will probably neglect to mention that as members of the EEA we will, through that organisation, have be participants of the EEA agreement and thereby EU laws governed by the CJEU.

But of course the main point that will probably kill EEA membership is going to be freedom of movement unfortunately.
    Indeed and given Tory voters back hard Brexit almost as much as UKIP voters May has no chance but to take the UK out of the EEA. However it is not impossible we return to the EEA eventually if say we get a Labour government in 2020 or 2025 backed by the LDs and SNP. Even May seems to want some sort of Swiss style deal with access to the EEA for specific sectors even if not full EEA membership
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Well as we have rehearsed at great length on here, the EFTA court adjudicates on matters of interpretation of EEA rules. The EEA decides to incorporate EU law into the EEA agreement and when it is incorporated thus, it is subject to the CJEU.
    Not so. No rules are incorporated without the agreement of the EFTA members to begin with. Once they are in place the ECJ has no power over how the rules are enforced by EEA members. That decision rests entirely with the EFTA court.
    True but the EFTA court enforces the rules and accords with the CJEU, or rather "largely corresponds" to the CJEU (googled, not as fluent in all this as I was pre-June 23rd).

Either way we have a different EU court adjudicating on our bananas. Not 100% sure that will fly, much as I appreciate you would prefer it.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I think the above results bode poorly for UKIP in the byelections/locals, what that means is that there are 3 parties scrapping over the leave vote and one over the remain, UKIP who have never had a good party base will struggle almost everywhere but it will throw up funnies with a possible swing to anyone who gets their core vote out. Stoke may see a possible LIb Dem challenge for a good 2nd while Copeland - poss a Tory gain? Doc Nuttal is under real pressure and needs to steady some nerves as UKIP are facing an existential crisis as TM has effectively moved onto their territory

There is very little indication from yesterday's by elections that people voted on the basis of Leave or Remain at all.
    Since when did councils influence Brexit? All the parliamentary by elections since the referendum have been affected by Brexit
  • Options
    Mr. rkrkrk, saw two amusing money-saving tweets recently. One was from radio 4 (I think) about not throwing away old diamonds (I'm constantly doing that). Another was tips on saving £22,000 a year.

I'd quite like £22,000 a year to save in the first place.

Shades of 'cutting child benefit means I won't be able to send my daughter to violin practice'.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Chris_A said:

Yes and same for nurses' fees too
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

There won't, of course be a single party LibDem government because in their first term as largest party they'll implement PR.

I remember both Blair and Trudeau doing that as well.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Why all the leaking? I've got two theories:

1. Trump only really listens to things once they are presented to him via the media. Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway acknowledged in the campaign that the best way to get through to him was often to talk on cable TV or to other reporters. There's no indication that Trump has changed his voracious media consumption habits since he formally entered the White House. So it's uniquely possible that these leaks are aimed at reining him in, showing him that when he acts like this with, say, world leaders, it makes him look bad.

2. There are people at senior levels within the administration who have major concerns about Trump and his fitness for office. In the long tradition of whistleblowers, they are using selective leaks to make sure that people know what is really going on inside the White House.

Neither theory is a good thing for Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/02/the-leaks-coming-out-of-the-trump-white-house-right-now-are-totally-bananas/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.62cdc6d9fe7a

And almost all the 'leaking' has been lies to left-wing papers. That they later corrected.

That's nothing more than wishful thinking masquerading as news agenda making by activists pretending to be journalists.

WaPo are trying to justify themselves - again. Few are believing it unless already team members.
  • Options

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

That is just nonsense
    Mr Senior watching Judge Judy made me LOL.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

I think the above results bode poorly for UKIP in the byelections/locals, what that means is that there are 3 parties scrapping over the leave vote and one over the remain, UKIP who have never had a good party base will struggle almost everywhere but it will throw up funnies with a possible swing to anyone who gets their core vote out. Stoke may see a possible LIb Dem challenge for a good 2nd while Copeland - poss a Tory gain? Doc Nuttal is under real pressure and needs to steady some nerves as UKIP are facing an existential crisis as TM has effectively moved onto their territory

There is very little indication from yesterday's by elections that people voted on the basis of Leave or Remain at all.
    Since when did councils influence Brexit? All the parliamentary by elections since the referendum have been affected by Brexit
    I was responding to suggestions the local elections have been influenced by Brexit!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

UKIP's demise is a cause for celebration. Let's face it, in the end it became a vehicle for middle-class bigots who conspired to trumpet the 'concerns' of the 'white working class' as a way of masking their own agenda of hate. EU membership barely crossed their imagination in the end, and only then when it provided the opportunity to bash foreigners. Of course, these people won't go away - many will find refuge in the growing Trumpite wing of the Tory party - but as a particularly noxious and subversive entity in British politics, UKIP's death can't come soon enough.

We'll see how it pans out and what kind of relationship we end up having with the EU. Trump may turn out to be a game-changer in Europe, but maybe not in the way that the hard right was hoping for.

Your position on the UK being dragged down depends on Trump, the people he appoints to advise him, the Republican majority in the House of Representatives, the Republican majority in the Senate, the Supreme Court with its conservative majority restored, the US banks and big business - all failing to deliver world trade that actually prospers.

That would require some epic fail by the US. On the bright side, you'd only have 4 years of Trump, not 8.

No, it depends on the fact that Trump has an America First policy. Surely we all realise by now that he means what he says. That does not mean that the UK will be dragged down, of course - there are plenty of opportunities in other parts of the world. As I say downthread, I think the reality of the US being led by a thin-skinned, unpredictable, narcissist is likely to mean we get a Brexit deal that will disappoint swivel-eyed right wing Atlanticists and so one that will work pretty well, while not being as good as what we have at the moment trade-wise. I also think that Trump will lead to closer trading relationships between Europe and Asia, especially China. While being out of the EU, I suspect we will end up being pretty closely tied to it.

• Options
    A former Ince & Co partner jailed for stealing millions of pounds from clients has been crowned ‘Lawyer of the Year'.

In 2013 Andrew Iyer was sentenced to four years and eight months in jail for defrauding Ince & Co and its clients of £3 million. During his trial it was revealed that Iyer tried to secure an OBE by writing to the Home Office pretending to be a (fictitious) cancer specialist called 'Elizabeth Herring'. RollOnFriday discovered that he also deployed the fishy Herring to give his self-published novel, 'The Betrayed', a five star review on Amazon.

Iyer was struck off, but on his release from prison he established a new legal advice business, IYLegal. And now Corporate Livewire, a company which pumps out awards (and trophies and directory profiles for payment) has named Iyer "Lawyer of the Year for Energy & Natural Resources" in its 'Global Legal Awards 2016'. It said its judging panel "placed each shortlisted candidate under acute scrutiny", and that Iyer had "proven to be of high caliber, showing a strong motivation and drive to achieve fantastic results within the legal community". His business also appeared to sponsor the awards:

http://rollonfriday.com/TheNews/EuropeNews/tabid/58/Id/4964/fromTab/36/currentIndex/5/Default.aspx
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

1. Trump only really listens to things once they are presented to him via the media. Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway acknowledged in the campaign that the best way to get through to him was often to talk on cable TV or to other reporters. There's no indication that Trump has changed his voracious media consumption habits since he formally entered the White House. So it's uniquely possible that these leaks are aimed at reining him in, showing him that when he acts like this with, say, world leaders, it makes him look bad.

2. There are people at senior levels within the administration who have major concerns about Trump and his fitness for office. In the long tradition of whistleblowers, they are using selective leaks to make sure that people know what is really going on inside the White House.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/02/the-leaks-coming-out-of-the-trump-white-house-right-now-are-totally-bananas/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.62cdc6d9fe7a

And almost all the 'leaking' has been lies to left-wing papers. That they later corrected.

That's nothing more than wishful thinking masquerading as news agenda making by activists pretending to be journalists.

WaPo are trying to justify themselves - again. Few are believing it unless already team members.
    So they're all making it up?

AP, WAPO & NYT?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/no-gday-mate-on-call-with-australian-pm-trump-badgers-and-brags/2017/02/01/88a3bfb0-e8bf-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_trumpaustralia-815pm:homepage/story&tid=a_inl&utm_term=.20cae940e334

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TRUMP_MEXICO?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/us/supreme-court-runner-up-thomas-hardiman.html?_r=0
  • Options
    justin124 said:

midwinter said:

Justin 124 I disagree. it does show that UKIP are not winning anywhere - in essence, LEAVE is not a clear brand but I feel REMAIN probably is...the Lib Dems seem to be picking up a core vote that I can only think is linked to the "not leave"......so I would stand by my point. The media only talks about the parties in terms of one thing - BREXIT, that must have a role...along with hospitals. libraries, creches etc which all have a bearing in locals

Both are clear brands but the Lib Dems are the only game in town as far as the most committed Remainers are concerned in the same way that pre referendum UKIP represented anyone whos political stance was determined almost entirely on dislike the EU.
    On that basis Remain voters in the other Rotherham ward would have turned out for the LibDem candidate. As it was, they polled 4% and came in 8th!
    It would be interesting to know what the LDs are putting on their leaflets is these local bye-elections. Are they trumpeting their pro-EU stance or is it potholes and dog mess?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I'm waiting for SO to claim Bannon is a white supremacist for the hundreth time. He's best mates with Horowitz and many who are anti-Zionist hate Breitbart.

When like Milo being a Jew lover makes you a Nazi - my will to pay attention to such twaddle evaporates.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

A former Ince & Co partner jailed for stealing millions of pounds from clients has been crowned ‘Lawyer of the Year'.

In 2013 Andrew Iyer was sentenced to four years and eight months in jail for defrauding Ince & Co and its clients of £3 million. During his trial it was revealed that Iyer tried to secure an OBE by writing to the Home Office pretending to be a (fictitious) cancer specialist called 'Elizabeth Herring'. RollOnFriday discovered that he also deployed the fishy Herring to give his self-published novel, 'The Betrayed', a five star review on Amazon.

Iyer was struck off, but on his release from prison he established a new legal advice business, IYLegal. And now Corporate Livewire, a company which pumps out awards (and trophies and directory profiles for payment) has named Iyer "Lawyer of the Year for Energy & Natural Resources" in its 'Global Legal Awards 2016'. It said its judging panel "placed each shortlisted candidate under acute scrutiny", and that Iyer had "proven to be of high caliber, showing a strong motivation and drive to achieve fantastic results within the legal community". His business also appeared to sponsor the awards:

http://rollonfriday.com/TheNews/EuropeNews/tabid/58/Id/4964/fromTab/36/currentIndex/5/Default.aspx

He should go into business with Phil Shiner.
  • Options
    Theresa May wins support from Spain over early resolution over ex pats at Malta conference.

Bet Sky do not make much of this, their coverage this morning has been a disgrace, all doom and gloom.

Sky the CNN of the UK
  • Options

Mr. rkrkrk, saw two amusing money-saving tweets recently. One was from radio 4 (I think) about not throwing away old diamonds (I'm constantly doing that). Another was tips on saving £22,000 a year.

I'd quite like £22,000 a year to save in the first place.

Shades of 'cutting child benefit means I won't be able to send my daughter to violin practice'.

It is amazing what some people think they can get away with claiming is useful advice.

I've been quite focused on saving for the past year (partly inspired by the blog Mr. Money moustache).

No more Sky (barely miss it) and a cheaper phone contract have saved me quit a bit.
    I also find using a slow cooker a massive time and reasonable money saver.

Some people might also point out that politics gambling wasn't very profitable either... But that's definitely going to change in 2017!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

I'm waiting for SO to claim Bannon is a white supremacist for the hundreth time. He's best mates with Horowitz and many who are anti-Zionist hate Breitbart.

When like Milo being a Jew lover makes you a Nazi - my will to pay attention to such twaddle evaporates.

Bannon is a white supremacist. Not sure what that has to do with Zionism, but he has also been very happy to associate with various anti-Semites over the years.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

AP, WAPO & NYT?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/no-gday-mate-on-call-with-australian-pm-trump-badgers-and-brags/2017/02/01/88a3bfb0-e8bf-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_trumpaustralia-815pm:homepage/story&tid=a_inl&utm_term=.20cae940e334

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TRUMP_MEXICO?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/us/supreme-court-runner-up-thomas-hardiman.html?_r=0
    Look how many copy each other - with no inde fact checking. It's endemic - the supposedly dead Iraqi mother as a result of travel ban wasn't checked by any of them - they reported each other.

It's pathetic.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

AP, WAPO & NYT?

Remember - these are outlets that refused to report the Bowling Green massacre committed by radicalised Iraqi immigrants. They will stop at nothing.

• Options
    Mr. rkrkrk, it's a source of perverse amusement for me that if I were looking purely at time spent/income, I'd stop writing and just bet on F1 with higher stakes.

Mr. NorthWales, Sky's gone in a very odd direction. The BBC's probably more objective on EU matters now.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

True but the EFTA court enforces the rules and accords with the CJEU, or rather "largely corresponds" to the CJEU (googled, not as fluent in all this as I was pre-June 23rd).

Either way we have a different EU court adjudicating on our bananas. Not 100% sure that will fly, much as I appreciate you would prefer it.
    Importantly though it would only be adjudicating on matters directly related to the single market. All the other social, criminal and other law is excluded. Still, as I say, the killer blow for the idea will be regarding free movement of people.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited February 2017
    O/T Good piece on driverless cars, which are of course one of PB's favourite offtopics:

The tl;dr is:

The big issues will be:

(a) cars interacting with pedestrians via social cues etc., and the cars becoming despised for that
    (b) people with autonomous cars being arseholes, and again ditto

The issue about "should you kill this one person to save 5 others" is an absurd theoretical distraction.

http://rodneybrooks.com/unexpected-consequences-of-self-driving-cars/
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

PlatoSaid said:

AP, WAPO & NYT?

Remember - these are outlets that refused to report the Bowling Green massacre committed by radicalised Iraqi immigrants. They will stop at nothing.

Doesn't the fact you repeatedly claimed the sun had 'blacked up' Gina Miller and posted tweets saying 'they might as well have put a bone through her nose' etc, when they had done no such thing, give you pause for thought when you constantly attack people for posting 'fake news' or sarcastically pull people up on embarrassing misunderstandings?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

I was responding to suggestions the local elections have been influenced by Brexit!
    Certainly less so than parliamentary by elections, yes
  • Options

Mr. rkrkrk, it's a source of perverse amusement for me that if I were looking purely at time spent/income, I'd stop writing and just bet on F1 with higher stakes.

Mr. NorthWales, Sky's gone in a very odd direction. The BBC's probably more objective on EU matters now.

Still at it - Darren McCaffrey report shows his anti TM bias and he has been at it all morning,

When you think of Sky reporters they are a collective of remainers still trying to undermine us leaving. BBC are more balanced
  • Options
    edited February 2017

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Importantly though it would only be adjudicating on matters directly related to the single market. All the other social, criminal and other law is excluded. Still, as I say, the killer blow for the idea will be regarding free movement of people.
    Yes I think that's probably right, but the amount of give, if any, by the EU27 on free movement has been for me the critical element. It's taken as read that there will be none. There wasn't any for Dave's deal, not in terms that would appear on the front page of the Daily Mail.

But negotiations are negotiations.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Bannon is a white supremacist. Not sure what that has to do with Zionism, but he has also been very happy to associate with various anti-Semites over the years.

I hear this often. Could you give me chapter and verse on how we know Bannon is a white supremacist? I'd like to have this confirmed, if possible.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Paywalls WORK.

QED

£5/week is a lot. It's more than Netflix or the TV licence or a cheap mobile phone contract.
    I think you'll find it's £5 a month
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    He makes a very good living out of being a "victim" of the PC left.
  • Options

One more theory: Left to themselves people like talking and bitching about their colleagues and bosses. Journalists are good at using this to get news. Effective managers keep this kind of thing under control. This administration doesn't have effective managers.
  • Options
    simmonite said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Paywalls WORK.

QED

Yep it's /month. Still gives you plenty of change out of a month's supply of Tesco's Everyday Value Instant Coffee.
  • Options

O/T Good piece on driverless cars, which are of course one of PB's favourite offtopics:

http://rodneybrooks.com/unexpected-consequences-of-self-driving-cars/

As usual with new tech, the talk is about the jobs that might be lost in taxi and lorry driving industries.

What isn't discussed is new opportunities it might open up in allowing far greater travel predictability, less congestion, more efficient road use, and free and easy commuting from anywhere to anywhere.

It could have huge (positive) impacts from opening up the feasibility of living further away (and more cheaply) from traditional commuter belts, to increasing the viability of rural businesses, to reducing accidents and causalities, to allowing people to drive and use a car who've hitherto not had the skills, and facilitating more lifestyle flexibility in general.

(PS. I note, on that article, you could probably only legally get rat-arsed on Level 5)
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited February 2017
    TOPPING said:

simmonite said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Paywalls WORK.

QED

Yep it's /month. Still gives you plenty of change out of a month's supply of Tesco's Everyday Value Instant Coffee.
    To quote The Daily Mash:

A WOMAN offered the chance to support the Guardian for ‘less than the price of a weekly coffee’ has chosen the coffee.

Emma Bradford was browsing The Guardian website, as she does every morning, when she saw the appeal for contributions to offset the paper’s dwindling sales and advertising revenues.

She said: “Apparently I can help fund its incisive journalism for just a fiver per month, which apparently is less than my weekly coffee.

“However it’s not like I can just press a button on my computer and make coffee squirt out for free, while the Guardian costs me fuck all.

“Although I like Peter Bradshaw’s witty film reviews, they don’t give me the sweaty, jaw-clenching Starbucks-rush I need to stop myself collapsing with exhaustion.

“It seems the clear winner here is the caffeinated drink.”

However Bradford was later partially swayed by a picture of everyone in the Guardian newsroom looking clever in their spectacles.

She added: “I’m not giving them money for nothing but if they brought out a product I would buy it. Maybe a Guardian energy drink, or a Guardian eco-monster truck."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/media/woman-chooses-coffee-over-safeguarding-guardians-future-20161121117565
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

He certainly is - now how's that? Because its true? Berkeley was just another example of liberal intolerance.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Indeed and given Tory voters back hard Brexit almost as much as UKIP voters May has no chance but to take the UK out of the EEA. However it is not impossible we return to the EEA eventually if say we get a Labour government in 2020 or 2025 backed by the LDs and SNP. Even May seems to want some sort of Swiss style deal with access to the EEA for specific sectors even if not full EEA membership
    To be fair, both the Tories and May (may) have been up for EEA membership had the EU shown some willingness to Learn The Lessons and compromise with some free movement qualifications and reforms.

But, they made clear that their line on that was one of unconditional surrender for full membership of the single market, and so we are leaving the single market.
  • Options
    isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

AP, WAPO & NYT?

Doesn't the fact you repeatedly claimed the sun had 'blacked up' Gina Miller and posted tweets saying 'they might as well have put a bone through her nose' etc, when they had done no such thing, give you pause for thought when you constantly attack people for posting 'fake news' or sarcastically pull people up on embarrassing misunderstandings?

I did not repeatedly claim it. I claimed it once and then admitted I had got it wrong. I wanted it to be true. It wasn't. I made myself look stupid and held my hand up on here and on Twitter. Compare and contrast with others.
  • Options

In-house counsel has long been viewed as the country cousins, when compared to the big law firms, but with two exceptions where the expertise was undoubtedly In-house - entertainment and energy. So lawyer of the year for energy and natural resources - that doesn't count for much in my book.

BP had astonishing expertise, especially when working with their tax people - could run rings round everybody, Governments included. Enron used to boast they had the smartest guys in the room (although the only time I worked on a deal on the opposite side to them, they tried to renege on the deal - but the House of Lords (as was then) upheld my drafting...and made them pay nearly £400m... *buffs nails*)
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

I hear this often. Could you give me chapter and verse on how we know Bannon is a white supremacist? I'd like to have this confirmed, if possible.
    Under Bannon’s Leadership, Breitbart Openly Embraced The White Supremacist Alt-Right. Andrew Breitbart despised racism. Truly despised it. He used to brag regularly about helping to integrate his fraternity at Tulane University. He insisted that racial stories be treated with special care to avoid even the whiff of racism. With Bannon embracing Trump, all that changed. Now Breitbart has become the alt-right go-to website, with Yiannopoulos pushing white ethno-nationalism as a legitimate response to political correctness, and the comment section turning into a cesspool for white supremacist mememakers.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/8441/i-know-trumps-new-campaign-chairman-steve-bannon-ben-shapiro
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yes I think that's probably right, but the amount of give, if any, by the EU27 on free movement has been for me the critical element. It's taken as read that there will be none. There wasn't any for Dave's deal, not in terms that would appear on the front page of the Daily Mail.

I don't see how they can give at all on that. It is a fundamental part of the Single Market and if they are to have any red lines at all I would expect that to be one of them. It comes back to the basic point that what the UK and other countries want from the EU are simply not compatible.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

agenda making by activists pretending to be journalists.

AP, WAPO & NYT?

I did not repeatedly claim it. I claimed it once and then admitted I had got it wrong. I wanted it to be true. It wasn't. I made myself look stupid and held my hand up on here and on Twitter. Compare and contrast with others.
    You posted it at least twice, once in the morning then again later in the day.

I remember you were briefly contrite when rumbled, but it doesn't seem to have had a lasting effect. I am surprised it hasn't made you think twice before turning on others.
  • Options
    Umm

"MPs Wear Islamic Veils in Parliament to Promote ‘World Hijab Day

A number of MPs donned hijabs in Westminster Hall to celebrate World Hijab Day (WHD), which normalises Islamic veiling and promotes “modest” dress.
    The group, led by the SNP’s Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh, included SNP MPs Anne McLaughlin and Patrick Grady, as well as Labour’s former shadow equalities minister Dawn Butler and MP Naseem Shah.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/02/03/mps-wear-islamic-hijab-parliament-promote-world-hijab-day/
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Yourprospers.

I'm Breitbart.

Bannon the years.

Under Bannon’s Leadership, Breitbart Openly Embraced The White Supremacist Alt-Right. Andrew Breitbart despised racism. Truly despised it. He used to brag regularly about helping to integrate his fraternity at Tulane University. He insisted that racial stories be treated with special care to avoid even the whiff of racism. With Bannon embracing Trump, all that changed. Now Breitbart has become the alt-right go-to website, with Yiannopoulos pushing white ethno-nationalism as a legitimate response to political correctness, and the comment section turning into a cesspool for white supremacist mememakers.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/8441/i-know-trumps-new-campaign-chairman-steve-bannon-ben-shapiro

There is nothing that you can say or show that will lead to some people conceding that Bannon is a white supremacist. They must be allowed to believe what they want to believe and we must be allowed to draw conclusions from that.

• Options

TOPPING said:

I don't see how they can give at all on that. It is a fundamental part of the Single Market and if they are to have any red lines at all I would expect that to be one of them. It comes back to the basic point that what the UK and other countries want from the EU are simply not compatible.
    There are elements of free movement which are not core elements but yes, a new deal for the UK will be most difficult to achieve in this area.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

simmonite said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Paywalls WORK.

QED

My mistake.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I don't really see why Leavers would be happier to be subject to the EFTA court than the CJEU. I can understand why they'd prefer not to be operating within the legislation that the EU's court adjudicates but a supranational court is still a supranational court.
  • Options
    :smiley:

SJW Nonsense
    These people are angry that Hawaiian pizza has that name & that we associate pineapples with Hawaii. So, y'know...Business as usual. https://t.co/ebhbaOSJdG
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    PlatoSaid said:

dixiedean said:

He certainly is - now how's that? Because its true? Berkeley was just another example of liberal intolerance.
    No, it's because he spouts extreme cobblers, carefully designed to offend, and then calls people "crybullies" and "snowflakes" when they are offended. Unfortunately for him and his ilk, the shoe is on the other foot now. Doubtless the cost and publicity for Berkeley will encourage fewer well-funded trips for him to talk crap. He'll have to start earning his money defending the status quo, which is neither as edgy or lucrative.
  • Options
    Mr Topping & Mr Tyndall – been following your civil and informative discussion. Many thanks.
  • Options
    Joe Murphy
    BBC just reported in tragic tones: "and this is the latest vegetable to fall victim to the shortage"
  • Options
    It appears that the Lib Dems are the true opposition to the Tories in terms of policy but do not have the councillors or MPs to be an effective opposition. The electorate are ensuring balance returns. Massive wins by the Lib Dems are no longer a surprise but expected.

The fight over the UK economy continues. In manufacturing we have two offsetting trends. The lower pound helps existing contracts but uncertain regulatory and trading relationships have slowed long term investment.

One of my production staff left today as his salary was doubled to go and work at Hinkley Point C. £60k a year to drive a cement truck. At the same time we have cut our electricity bill by £20k a year by switching supplier. Over a third of our electricity bill is tax to let the Government waste money on plans such as Hinkley Point C.

One of my tenants supplies largescale lighting systems. The payback on switching to modern LED lights is about 2 years. The saving on electricity is about 80%. The UK is one of the only countries in the world where demand for electricity is falling. Can anyone explain to me how we are going to get out of the mess of Hinkley Point C.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

1. Trump look bad.

2. There White House.

AP, WAPO & NYT?

Doesn't misunderstandings?

I remember you were briefly contrite when rumbled, but it doesn't seem to have had a lasting effect. I am surprised it hasn't made you think twice before turning on others.

I am not the official spokesperson of the president of the United States seeking to justify a blanket ban by citing a massacre that did not happen.

I got the Gina Miller thing wrong, though I would dispute that commenting on it twice (I remember once, but you are no doubt correct) equates to repeatedly, but that is by the by: I wanted it to be true, it wasn't. I held my hand up. I think I did the right thing. If you don't fair enough, we disagree.

• Options
    Does anyone have a list of the Senate seats up in 2018? and ordered by the holding party?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I don't really see why Leavers would be happier to be subject to the EFTA court than the CJEU. I can understand why they'd prefer not to be operating within the legislation that the EU's court adjudicates but a supranational court is still a supranational court.
    Despite the polarised world of Leave/Remain, in which we still seem to insist we live in, there were, of course, various shades of Leaver.

A popular shade amongst AB professional Leavers in London & South East - i.e. those least bothered by immigration - was EEA/EFTA because it would minimise any economic disruption, whilst allowing us to quit CAP/CFP, the customs and political unions, save us some money and allow us to strike our own global trade deals.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I can't speak for other Leavers of course but the scope of the EFTA court is strictly limited to single market issues and is incapable by its construction of mission creep. It cannot extend its powers into areas not exclusively agreed by the members.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

PlatoSaid said:

dixiedean said:

No, it's because he spouts extreme cobblers, carefully designed to offend, and then calls people "crybullies" and "snowflakes" when they are offended. Unfortunately for him and his ilk, the shoe is on the other foot now. Doubtless the cost and publicity for Berkeley will encourage fewer well-funded trips for him to talk crap. He'll have to start earning his money defending the status quo, which is neither as edgy or lucrative.
    I'm surprised this isn't mentioned more often (from last summer)

https://twitter.com/mista_official/status/766853168500137984
  • Options

Is that it? Breitbart....Yiannopoulos....comments section.... How does that allow me to go out into the world claiming "Bannon is a white supremacist" without risking getting my ass sued off? I was rather expecting some hard evidence, rather than guilt by association with what nutjobs write on a blog.

Sure, the guy sounds like a truly hideous self-aggrandising piece of shit. But you need more to make the specific charge stick, I'd suggest.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

:smiley:

SJW Nonsense
    These people are angry that Hawaiian pizza has that name & that we associate pineapples with Hawaii. So, y'know...Business as usual. https://t.co/ebhbaOSJdG

To be fair, I'd be offended if I was somehow smeared by association with the concept of pineapple stuck on a 'pizza'.
  • Options
    Ted Malloch rowing the boat of his ambition rapidly back upstream on WaW,

'If anyone foolishly took my suggestion that the EU should be destroyed like the USSR out of context, I would apologise.'

I paraphrase, but only slightly. He actually used the the classic 'out of context' weaseling.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    PlatoSaid said:

Joe Murphy
    BBC just reported in tragic tones: "and this is the latest vegetable to fall victim to the shortage"

I might have to subscribe to the Guardian. I would miss delightful bollocks like this:

https://twitter.com/SophyRidgeSky/status/827502460617031680
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Yourprospers.

I'm Breitbart.

Bannon the years.

There is nothing that you can say or show that will lead to some people conceding that Bannon is a white supremacist. They must be allowed to believe what they want to believe and we must be allowed to draw conclusions from that.

Absolutely. There are some on here (you don't need me to say who) who clearly believe Trump is in possession of an infallibility that is beyond human. You may as well say God has erred for all the use it would do you.
  • Options
    Milo is just like Father Ted

That money was just resting in my account.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

UKIP's.

Yourprospers.

I'm Breitbart.

Bannon the years.

x

How do you find the time to run your business?

Not trying to be rude, I'm genuinely interested, because I understand you have a lot of responsibilities and employees and yet you seem to be on here holding court night and day.
  • Options
    Mr. M, courgettes sound suspiciously French.

Mr. Eagles, America's Senate is rubbish compared to Rome's. Although I see elements of Milo and Clodius in the American political system. No Caesars, though.
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Joe Murphy

I might have to subscribe to the Guardian. I would miss delightful bollocks like this:

Imagine what the reaction would be if there was a shortage on Soya milk!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

1. Trump look bad.

2. There White House.

AP, WAPO & NYT?

I am not the official spokesperson of the president of the United States seeking to justify a blanket ban by citing a massacre that did not happen.

I got the Gina Miller thing wrong, though I would dispute that commenting on it twice (I remember once, but you are no doubt correct) equates to repeatedly, but that is by the by: I wanted it to be true, it wasn't. I held my hand up. I think I did the right thing. If you don't fair enough, we disagree.

You were obviously wrong and the least you could do was to hold your hand up. That's not what I asked. The question was 'doesn't it give you pause for thought before attacking others?'

You have dug out the people who jumped the gun by speculating the Quebec mass murder was a Muslim on Muslim thing, so it's not just white house officials

I'm not being nasty or rude, I'm just surprised you don't think at least twice before jumping down other people's throats having made such a gaffe
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2017

I hold no particular brief for Bannon, but all of the 'evidence' seems to comprise people calling him a white supremicist, rather than evidence that he is. The article Stark cited doesn't even do that: it says that 'Breitbart Openly Embraced The White Supremacist Alt-Right.' - which ain't the same thing.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, America's Senate is rubbish compared to Rome's. Although I see elements of Milo and Clodius in the American political system. No Caesars, though.

I plan to do a thread in the next few weeks comparing Trump to Caesar, but am still working out which Senators will play the role of Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger et al.

Beware the Ides of March 2019
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    The next prime minister but three.

https://twitter.com/bathnes/status/827494139017179136
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Joe Murphy

"Other phallic fruits and vegetables are available"
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    OGH makes a speedier recovery than Diane Abbott.
  • Options

Absolutely. There are some on here (you don't need me to say who) who clearly believe Trump is in possession of an infallibility that is beyond human. You may as well say God has erred for all the use it would do you.

Yes, you do need to name names. Have the spine to say who you are traducing. I can't think of one person on here who thinks "Trump is in possession of an infallibility that is beyond human."

I can think of plenty who have lost their ability to engage in reasoned debate because of their hatred of Trump. And I'll name you as one.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Ms Plato,

"A number of MPs donned hijabs in Westminster Hall to celebrate World Hijab Day (WHD), which normalises Islamic veiling and promotes “modest” dress."

A belated triumph for Mrs Whitehouse. No more jeans, or short skirts. No tops exposing the V of the breast line. Could this be the beginning of a new Puritanism?

• Options
    Tiger Woods has withdrawn from the Dubai Desert Classic before the second round, because of a back problem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/38852149

I hope Taylor Made have him on a pay per play....
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Marcus Junius Brutus killing Caesar after Marcus Lucius Brutus (centuries earlier) helped throw out Tarquin is a nice bit of symmetry.

Believe it or not, I used to play a MUD in which a co-leader of the Templar guild was called Marcus Tullius Cicero.
  • Options

I plan to do a thread in the next few weeks comparing Trump to Caesar, but am still working out which Senators will play the role of Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger et al.

Don't you *dare* compare Trump to Caesar.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Labour gain from UKIP.

File it under Fake News.
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Joe Murphy

Have they tried, you know, growing them?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

PlatoSaid said:

AP, WAPO & NYT?

I others.

I .

I happen.

I disagree.

You were obviously wrong and the least you could do was to hold your hand up. That's not what I asked. The question was 'doesn't it give you pause for thought before attacking others?'

I'm not being nasty or rude, I'm just surprised you don't think at least twice before jumping down other people's throats having made such a gaffe

Actually, I could have done what plenty of other people do on here, which is jump to a conclusion and then say nothing when it is pointed out that they are wrong. That I did admit I got it wrong leads me to believe that others should do the same.

What pause for thought should I have when the official spokesperson of the US president makes up a massacre to justify banning people from certain countries from entering the country?

I have absolutely no problem in pointing out that those who attack the MSM for supposedly printing "fake news" remain utterly silent about the repeated lies coming out of the Trump White House. Likewise, I notice that Trump himself is already Tweeting about today's Louvre attack, but had not a word to say about one of his supporters gunning down six Muslims in a Canadian mosque last week.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    Most people aren't thinking about Brexit when voting for a local councillor. We oughtn't be too surprised.

I'm not sure whether the Derwentside Independents and Wear Valley Independents are pro or anti Brexit, and I anticipate that the voters of County Durham won't be too bothered when they cast their votes in May.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Joe Murphy

"Other phallic fruits and vegetables are available"
    More seriously, I did not know that we depended so much on imports from Europe. But we could grow our own..............But, immigrant workers ?
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Joe Murphy

The ‘courgette crisis’ is so delightfully Guardian, - that’s not a criticism, it’s a feature. :lol:
  • Options

I hold no particular brief for Bannon, but all of the 'evidence' seems to comprise people calling him a white supremicist, rather than evidence that he is. The article Stark cited doesn't even do that: it says that 'Breitbart Openly Embraced The White Supremacist Alt-Right.' - which ain't the same thing.
    In that case I suppose he need not be a white supremacist in the same way that the editor of the Morning Star need not be a communist.
  • Options

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Joe Murphy

Have they tried, you know, growing them?
    At this time of year?

I take it you're not a gardener!
  • Options

Does anyone have a list of the Senate seats up in 2018? and ordered by the holding party?

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2018
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Don't you *dare* compare Trump to Caesar.
    As both PB's leading Classicist and Caesar fan I'm allowed to do so.

Plus I will make clear Trump is no Caesar in terms of brilliance
  • Options

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2018
    Thank you.
  • Options

In that case I suppose he need not be a white supremacist in the same way that the editor of the Morning Star need not be a communist.

No, more in the same way that the editor of the Guardian need not be a Stalinist.
This discussion has been closed.