Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » More gloomy by-election news for UKIP and the LD surge continu

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    It's great distraction tweeting yet again - I've seen several all catnipped by it.

I can't believe they're still believing the magician.
  • Options
    I love the fact that in Staffordshire the (apparent) move was Green > UKIP!
  • Options

A fresh legal challenge to the government’s plans for leaving the European Union has been blocked by the high court.

It was brought by campaigners arguing that parliament must separately legislate to remove the UK from the European Economic Area (EEA) and the single market.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/03/fresh-brexit-legal-challenge-blocked-high-court-article-127?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Interesting that at the High Court case this morning, the plaintiffs are basing their arguments upon exactly the position I have long argued on here - that our EEA membership is independent of our membership of the EU and leaving one does not automatically mean leaving the other.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Patrick said:

Mr. Eagles, was that you making the bet on Le Pen?

No, I'll be crying like a disgraced televangelist if Ms Le Pen wins, both from a betting and political position.
    Does Fillon's demise not improve her chances though?
    If Fillon limps through to the run-off, and then more brown stuff hits the air blower, a voter strike could see Le Pen win.

Yes, a couple of ifs in there, but possible.
    It's an odd one. Le Pen needs Fillon to do well enough to be her opponent but not well enough to beat her!
    The best opponent for Le Pen would be Melanchon.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Reality is dawning on the EU. We have a very strong hand in negotiations and if anything Trump has strengthened it

The effect of Trump on this is complex, but on balance he probably does help focus the minds of our EU friends on the importance of remaining on good terms with a large economy on their doorstep.
    I agree - without Trump or Putin or Islamic Terrorism we might have been in for a 'pour encourage les autres' exit deal.

Now I think they'll want to get it sorted out as quickly, efficiently and painlessly as possible - for all concerned. After we've gone the've got a €10 billion hole to plug.....
    It's not all about the money, you know.
    It very quickly becomes that - in particular as our exit automatically exacerbates the contributors/recipients disparity.....
  • Options

A fresh legal challenge to the government’s plans for leaving the European Union has been blocked by the high court.

It was brought by campaigners arguing that parliament must separately legislate to remove the UK from the European Economic Area (EEA) and the single market.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/03/fresh-brexit-legal-challenge-blocked-high-court-article-127?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sadly missing any indication of what the court actually held...

What redress did the applicants seek on judicial review, anyway?
  • Options
    Another entertaining salvo

Donald J Trump
    Thank you to Prime Minister of Australia for telling the truth about our very civil conversation that FAKE NEWS media lied about. Very nice!
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Here's a little something you won't find Jeremy Hunt smugly announcing in Parliament. Half of all 2nd year junior doctors are not continuing their specialty training in NHS. This was only 25% in 2011. Where are all these extra consultants going to come from Mr Hunt? The Europeans certainly don't want to come.

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/news/story/careers-destination-report-2016
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    PlatoSaid said:

It's great distraction tweeting yet again - I've seen several all catnipped by it.

Let me direct your attention over there while I steal your [insert whatever you value most] ...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Patrick said:

Mr. Eagles, was that you making the bet on Le Pen?

No, I'll be crying like a disgraced televangelist if Ms Le Pen wins, both from a betting and political position.
    Does Fillon's demise not improve her chances though?
    If Fillon limps through to the run-off, and then more brown stuff hits the air blower, a voter strike could see Le Pen win.

Yes, a couple of ifs in there, but possible.
    It's an odd one. Le Pen needs Fillon to do well enough to be her opponent but not well enough to beat her!
    The best opponent for Le Pen would be Melanchon.
    The one opponent to have gone backwards in the last month.

My book is a mess and I'm nervous for that reason. If Fillon just holds on to his nomination. It's oddly Juppé (!!!!!!!!!! - having backed at 599/1!) and the others LR that I'm properly exposed to.
  • Options

Interesting that at the High Court case this morning, the plaintiffs are basing their arguments upon exactly the position I have long argued on here - that our EEA membership is independent of our membership of the EU and leaving one does not automatically mean leaving the other.
    The government partially resisted the judicial review application on the grounds that no decision to leave the EEA had yet been made and that it was therefore not a decision that was open to challenge
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Reality is dawning on the EU. We have a very strong hand in negotiations and if anything Trump has strengthened it

The effect of Trump on this is complex, but on balance he probably does help focus the minds of our EU friends on the importance of remaining on good terms with a large economy on their doorstep.
    I agree - without Trump or Putin or Islamic Terrorism we might have been in for a 'pour encourage les autres' exit deal.

Now I think they'll want to get it sorted out as quickly, efficiently and painlessly as possible - for all concerned. After we've gone the've got a €10 billion hole to plug.....
    No, but it's a pretty big agenda item.
  • Options
    ‪This prediction makes Sion Simon look like The Oracle. ‬

https://twitter.com/newdawn1997/status/827481875878912000
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

I'm sure this could be used as a simile for something.

https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/827462917339623424

Never mind what it is Emily, sign it up for the Shadow Cabinet.
  • Options

The government partially resisted the judicial review application on the grounds that no decision to leave the EEA had yet been made and that it was therefore not a decision that was open to challenge
    Do we know if the court agreed with that?
  • Options

‪This prediction makes Sion Simon look like The Oracle. ‬

https://twitter.com/newdawn1997/status/827481875878912000

Well, his argument is that New Labour were Red Tories, an idea which curiously enjoys considerable support in some quarters
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Donald J Trump
    Thank you to Prime Minister of Australia for telling the truth about our very civil conversation that FAKE NEWS media lied about. Very nice!

Surely the interesting question is who in the White House was the source?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Donald J Trump

Perhaps it was the same people who have finally revealed the truth about the Bowling Green massacre.

• Options

I'm not sure I'd describe it as a strong hand, exactly, but we do have interests in common.

And an important military ally. The EU are like those remainers who have failed to grasp or more probably are still in denial that the UK is leaving their organisation but the huge Parliamentary vote together with the destabilizing of Europe by the election of Trump hopefully will make them move on.

And I do believe we have a strong hand
  • Options
    Just saw this article - that I largely agree with:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-02/india-not-next-china
    Zerohedge warning and all that, but it is sad to see what a toilet India is - and will remain.
  • Options

Yep saw that. And the judges have agreed. Interesting that they have not ruled on the validity of the claim just that it is pre-empting the Government to make such a decision now.
  • Options

Do we know if the court agreed with that?
    Yes. It looks as if they have said the case has been brought at the wrong time.
  • Options

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

In 2013, in the English locals, the Lib Dems lost 124 councillors, I suspect if they have a net gain of 125 councillors or more in May this year, it'll be classed as a very good night for the Lib Dems.

If a LibDem manages to tie his own shoelaces without a rent boy crapping on a glass coffee table above his head then the usual suspects on here will declare that as a "very good night for the LibDems"
    And as Tim Farron strides into 10 Downing Street as the new head of a Coalition Government (has to be some realism, even in dreams) GeoffM grumps that 'they really should have done better than that".
    Conclusive proof that Lib Dems can only ever govern in Coalition - not acceptable to a majority of the British people (n=2)
    Did say there had to be some realism, even in dreams. Even SeanT's books have some tenuous connection to actual events.
    There won't, of course be a single party LibDem government because in their first term as largest party they'll implement PR.
    If the Lib Dems ever found themselves in largest party status, I suspect that their commitment to PR might wither, just as Labour's did in 1997. In fact, I'm fairly sure that the Liberal-led coalition nearly introduced PR under Lloyd George but rowed back, again on tactical considerations. (Though it's a while since I read about it and can't remember the details).
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Donald J Trump

The damage is done. Whatever Trump Tweets now, he has made it politically much harder for what should have been a very supportive ally to support him. No-one in the US cares about the conversation. A lot of voters in Australia do.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Forecast for May CC locals , Lib Dems to gain around 170 seats and overall control of Cornwall and Somerset .
    Council by elections in the next 2 weeks should see 3 Lib Dem gains from Conservatives

Those elections are in a post-Article 50 world. One in which the LibDems will be endlessly painted as "the Party of Rejoining the EU". The Euro. Schengen. The European Army. Giving Brussels Eurocrats blow-jobs on demand.

Good luck with that resonating in the SW....
  • Options
    He's on a roll here - all value appealing to moderate and GOP voters

Donald J Trump
    Professional anarchists, thugs and paid protesters are proving the point of the millions of people who voted to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Takes years to build a reputation and five minutes to lose it.

http://www.w4mpjobs.org/JobDetails.aspx?jobid=59297

Help Diane Abbott restore her shine post Brexit vote.

• Options
    Mr. Mark, the party of the euro-sausage :p
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FPT
    Blue_rog said:

» show previous quotes
    Because Brexit will kill everything. We will be in a desolate wasteland living off turnips

Nothing wrong with turnips if combined with haggis and tatties, world would be a better place if that was on all menus.

I second that. When I lived in Edinburgh in the early 60's I would have haggis and chips on my way down to take my seat at Easter Road
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    If no decision to leave the EEA has been made then it's proof that May's whole shock and awe hard Brexit launch is just an elaborate bluff. What she really wants is Dave's Deal Deluxe.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    Patrick said:

Zerohedge warning and all that, but it is sad to see what a toilet India is - and will remain.

Presumably a squat toilet.
  • Options

Forecast for May CC locals , Lib Dems to gain around 170 seats and overall control of Cornwall and Somerset .
    Council by elections in the next 2 weeks should see 3 Lib Dem gains from Conservatives

Those elections are in a post-Article 50 world. One in which the LibDems will be endlessly painted as "the Party of Rejoining the EU". The Euro. Schengen. The European Army. Giving Brussels Eurocrats blow-jobs on demand.

Good luck with that resonating in the SW....
    The Rotherham results suggest that even if the voters are aware of that, it probably won't make much difference in a council by-election. Different matter come the GE.
  • Options

Kudos for sticking your neck out.
    Hmm. I can see them taking Somerset but Cornwall looks a tougher ask with 19 gains required. I could see the LDs taking seats from Lab and Con but some of the independents look very well dug in.
  • Options
    Mr. Price, that's not a very diverse group of people.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    John_M said:

Send it off to hunt that bug which poleaxed Ms Abbott.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Here's a little something you won't find Jeremy Hunt smugly announcing in Parliament. Half of all 2nd year junior doctors are not continuing their specialty training in NHS. This was only 25% in 2011. Where are all these extra consultants going to come from Mr Hunt? The Europeans certainly don't want to come.

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/news/story/careers-destination-report-2016

If I could I would sponsor all doctors university fees subject to them committing a minimum of 10 years service in the NHS
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Donald J Trump
    Professional anarchists, thugs and paid protesters are proving the point of the millions of people who voted to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

This is how it goes. Before long Trump will be arguing that the state needs to take additional security measures to control elements within society that are seeking to destabilise things.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    edited February 2017

I'm not sure I'd describe it as a strong hand, exactly, but we do have interests in common.

Hopefully, Trump focuses the minds of all Europeans on remaining on good terms with each other. After the last week, a UK negotiating stance of "Give us what we want because we have the option to walk hand in hand with President Trump" is going to see us laughed out of the room. Much more sensible is a negotiating stance of "Brexit is happening, we all need each other because there is an unpredictable, thin-skinned, egomaniac in the White House, so let's get a deal done". As this essentially be an agreement between nation states, once the French and German GEs are out of the way I am guessing that is what we will get. It won't be as good as what we have now, but it will not be punitive - and judging by the many caveats in the White Paper (which I think is pretty good in the way it keeps options open) it will probably disappoint more the more swivel-eyed of the right wing Leave brigade.

• Options

Patrick said:

Presumably a squat toilet.
    Just anywhere in the street according to those I know who have visited.
    The important point form the article is about the role 'reason' plays in detemining a country's trajectory. Most of the world's toilets are toilets because that's the way their culture makes them - and sod all to do with natural endowments (which often make it worse).
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

Aren't the messages to take from the results:

1. That the country is crying out for an opposition (as is Rotherham),
    2. That the LDs' toxicity is massively down among Lab voters, at least at local / Westminster by-election level. Whether this would transfer to a general election - where different considerations are in play - is another matter.
    3. That the LD by-election machine, where deployed, is hugely effective - though that effectiveness will also be relative to other parties' machines and efforts.

?

I would also suggest that the LD's often have to rely on a combination of local circumstances. In the Rotherham ward they won, their candidate was a local doctor , the Labour councillor had resigned following allegations of sexual assault and Labour went on to select an Asian candidate in an a 90% white area which had elected a BNP councillor a few years earlier. Very propitious for the LDs really!
    The Lib Dem machinery in this part of the country is actually nothing more than some dedicated local party members getting out onto the doorstep...
    I don't dispute that at all - but the prescence of those local factors will have a big influence on the extent to which voters respond to such activity.
  • Options
    UKIP's demise is a cause for celebration. Let's face it, in the end it became a vehicle for middle-class bigots who conspired to trumpet the 'concerns' of the 'white working class' as a way of masking their own agenda of hate. EU membership barely crossed their imagination in the end, and only then when it provided the opportunity to bash foreigners. Of course, these people won't go away - many will find refuge in the growing Trumpite wing of the Tory party - but as a particularly noxious and subversive entity in British politics, UKIP's death can't come soon enough.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

It very quickly becomes that - in particular as our exit automatically exacerbates the contributors/recipients disparity.....
    Then it will be a price worth paying for them, surely?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2017

Yes, we discussed it here at some length many months ago - another good example of PB being well ahead of the mainstream media in identifying the issues.

Assuming the case eventually does get heard, we'll see which of us was right! The government is using exactly the argument I used - that we are signatories in our capacity as EU members.

Edit: Altered to reflect the fact that the High Court aren't allowing the challenge to be heard
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

So when Tezza said this...

And that is why both sides in the referendum campaign made it clear that a vote to leave the EU would be a vote to leave the single market.

So we do not seek membership of the single market.

She hadn't decided?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    NPower are raising their prices by 10%.......Are you freakin' kidding me!!!!!????? This is NOT a free market it is a cartel.

Fuck it, I'm voting for Corbyn......
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Donald J Trump

This is how it goes. Before long Trump will be arguing that the state needs to take additional security measures to control elements within society that are seeking to destabilise things.
    Going the Erdogan route, do you think?
  • Options

Mr. Price, that's not a very diverse group of people.

You are making unwarranted presumptions about the foetus. Check your privilege etc. etc.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

In 2013, in the English locals, the Lib Dems lost 124 councillors, I suspect if they have a net gain of 125 councillors or more in May this year, it'll be classed as a very good night for the Lib Dems.

If a LibDem manages to tie his own shoelaces without a rent boy crapping on a glass coffee table above his head then the usual suspects on here will declare that as a "very good night for the LibDems"
    And as Tim Farron strides into 10 Downing Street as the new head of a Coalition Government (has to be some realism, even in dreams) GeoffM grumps that 'they really should have done better than that".
    Conclusive proof that Lib Dems can only ever govern in Coalition - not acceptable to a majority of the British people (n=2)
    Did say there had to be some realism, even in dreams. Even SeanT's books have some tenuous connection to actual events.
    There won't, of course be a single party LibDem government because in their first term as largest party they'll implement PR.
    If the Lib Dems ever found themselves in largest party status, I suspect that their commitment to PR might wither, just as Labour's did in 1997. In fact, I'm fairly sure that the Liberal-led coalition nearly introduced PR under Lloyd George but rowed back, again on tactical considerations. (Though it's a while since I read about it and can't remember the details).
    Didn't their Coalition partners oppose it, as well as the Irish Problem taking up a lot of time?
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    I think the above results bode poorly for UKIP in the byelections/locals, what that means is that there are 3 parties scrapping over the leave vote and one over the remain, UKIP who have never had a good party base will struggle almost everywhere but it will throw up funnies with a possible swing to anyone who gets their core vote out. Stoke may see a possible LIb Dem challenge for a good 2nd while Copeland - poss a Tory gain? Doc Nuttal is under real pressure and needs to steady some nerves as UKIP are facing an existential crisis as TM has effectively moved onto their territory
  • Options

UKIP's demise is a cause for celebration. Let's face it, in the end it became a vehicle for middle-class bigots who conspired to trumpet the 'concerns' of the 'white working class' as a way of masking their own agenda of hate. EU membership barely crossed their imagination in the end, and only then when it provided the opportunity to bash foreigners. Of course, these people won't go away - many will find refuge in the growing Trumpite wing of the Tory party - but as a particularly noxious and subversive entity in British politics, UKIP's death can't come soon enough.

Yet, we won and you lost.
  • Options
    John_M said:

:lol:
  • Options
    The failing New York Times. This is what happens when you cover up the Bowling Green massacre.
    https://twitter.com/jamessurowiecki/status/827160306778591233
  • Options
    MTimT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Let me direct your attention over there while I steal your [insert whatever you value most] ...
    For supposedly sophisticated political animals - the lobby hacks are transfixed by each Donald laser dot.

It's very entertaining.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,914

Chris_A said:

If I could I would sponsor all doctors university fees subject to them committing a minimum of 10 years service in the NHS
    I don't think it's the fees that are the problem.
  • Options

If no decision to leave the EEA has been made then it's proof that May's whole shock and awe hard Brexit launch is just an elaborate bluff. What she really wants is Dave's Deal Deluxe.

The decision clearly has been all but made; it just hasn't been announced. Very hard to square EEA membership with being outside the customs union and the Single Market. However, I guess the govt won't entirely rule it out as it's a possible mechanism (1) for transition, and (2) for a bespoke partial deal. What won't happen is full permanent EEA membership.
  • Options

Chris_A said:

I'm sure bonded labour would do wonders for medical student recruitment.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

We'll see how it pans out and what kind of relationship we end up having with the EU. Trump may turn out to be a game-changer in Europe, but maybe not in the way that the hard right was hoping for.

• Options

Not sure how it'd be a good thing from your point of view that a group you don't like has migrated from a fringe party in big boy terms to being a vocal and critical part of a governing party - and which wold bump up its vote share by 7% or so into the bargain.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Donald J Trump

No one in the room most likely - the MSM are reporting any old anti-Trump twaddle as fact - then rowing back a few hours after the damage is done. AP are serious culprits here. Their totally misleading gun law tweet got 10k - the correction about 80.
  • Options

I think the above results bode poorly for UKIP in the byelections/locals, what that means is that there are 3 parties scrapping over the leave vote and one over the remain, UKIP who have never had a good party base will struggle almost everywhere but it will throw up funnies with a possible swing to anyone who gets their core vote out. Stoke may see a possible LIb Dem challenge for a good 2nd while Copeland - poss a Tory gain? Doc Nuttal is under real pressure and needs to steady some nerves as UKIP are facing an existential crisis as TM has effectively moved onto their territory

There is very little indication from yesterday's by elections that people voted on the basis of Leave or Remain at all.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So when Tezza said this...

And that is why both sides in the referendum campaign made it clear that a vote to leave the EU would be a vote to leave the single market.

So we do not seek membership of the single market.

She hadn't decided?
    You really have no idea how to negotiate do you
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Donald J Trump

You mean enforcing legal law enforcement? Yup.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Chris_A said:

The figures in table 12 are pretty damning. 30% of GP Training posts unfilled, 20% of hospital physicians, 35% of psychiatry.

The other big change is the rise in the numbers not working as Doctors at all.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,254

I think the key thing will be where these gains occur- seems an awful lot of buyers remorse in formerly Lib Dem seats like Bath and Cheltenham. Meanwhile looks like they are unzipping Labour votes in the North too- judging by Rotherham and Sunderland.

Perhaps most interestingly would be if the Lib Dems are being seen as winners again- if that is combined with a Labour massacre, then Corbyn must surely be facing the tumbrills...
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Most sponsored degrees are run in that fashion - especially at postgrad level.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Sean_F said:

And leaving the EU (speaking as a reluctant Remain voter) is perhaps a good thing. The motivation behind many votes is nothing to be proud of.
  • Options

LOL

scene: TM walks into shop

TM: I do not seek a pint of milk, please

SK: OK

TM: How much is it?

SK: What?

TM: The pint of milk.

SK: The one you are NOT seeking...

repeat to fade
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

LOL

repeat to fade
    Why is Sadiq Khan running the shop?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The Times is now one of the few UK papers turning a healthy profit, and growing its subscribing readership (online). People WILL pay for quality journalism

Paywalls WORK.

The Grauniad is still begging people to donate...

QED
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Washington Examiner
    Senate votes to kill Obama coal rules https://t.co/ZBNu2RMx4U https://t.co/RzPLdQEwOf

"The Senate passed a resolution Thursday repealing regulations on the coal industry that were issued by the Obama administration in its eleventh hour.

The resolution passed, 54-45, one day after the House approved its own resolution of disapproval. The measure now will be sent to President Trump, who is expected to sign it. The resolution helps to fulfill part of Trump's pledge to help coal miners get out from under the weight of increased regulation on their industry.

In killing the Interior Department's last-minute Stream Protection Rule, the Republican leadership called it a rushed regulation that blindsided states with unnecessary and burdensome rules for coal mining.
  • Options

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

Didn't their Coalition partners oppose it, as well as the Irish Problem taking up a lot of time?
    I don't think so. IIRC, it was one of these issues that only went down by accident and where there was at the time a majority in support of the principle but no agreement on the details. I don't have access to the books I'd need to reference to feel confident about saying more.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,914
    Patrick said:

As a general rule... Be very suspicious of anyone who plots GDP on a linear scale.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Are you saying free tuition fees subject to a period of loyalty to the NHS is bonded labour. I think the vast majority of voters would disagree with you, after all it would be their money providing the sponsorship
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Justin 124 I disagree. it does show that UKIP are not winning anywhere - in essence, LEAVE is not a clear brand but I feel REMAIN probably is...the Lib Dems seem to be picking up a core vote that I can only think is linked to the "not leave"......so I would stand by my point. The media only talks about the parties in terms of one thing - BREXIT, that must have a role...along with hospitals. libraries, creches etc which all have a bearing in locals
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

The Times is now one of the few UK papers turning a healthy profit, and growing its subscribing readership (online). People WILL pay for quality journalism

Paywalls WORK.

QED
    What's truly grim is that the Telegraph still begs you to turn off adblock behind the paywall.
  • Options

He's a crude Asian stereotype?

ShopKeeper...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Donald J Trump

No one in the room most likely - the MSM are reporting any old anti-Trump twaddle as fact - then rowing back a few hours after the damage is done. AP are serious culprits here. Their totally misleading gun law tweet got 10k - the correction about 80.
    Making up twaddle and disseminating it on social media to harm a particular candidate? Shocked I tell you! Shocked I am at such dastardly behaviour!
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Nice to see a mention of John Mole. Also wrote the excellent book "I Was a Potato Oligarch: Travels and Travails in the New Russia", which I heartily recommend.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Was-Potato-Oligarch-Travels-Travails/dp/1857885090

That one is part travelogue and part business book, but better than the vast majority of travelogues as his attempts to build a business there meant he saw much more of "The System" (or at the time, more precisely, The Chaos) than a traditional tourist would manage. And living there let him experience more of the local culture, too - his run-ins with the Chechen gangsters who controlled the vegetable trade were memorable, but also various weird youth subcultures that were flourising in post-1991 Russia.

One of his complaints in that book is that all the Russian businessmen he met seemed to have read "Mind your manners"... distributed by photocopy.

If you enjoy that sort of book I highly recommend:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Eyed-Salaryman-traveller-Mitsubish

• Options

Justin 124 I disagree. it does show that UKIP are not winning anywhere - in essence, LEAVE is not a clear brand but I feel REMAIN probably is...the Lib Dems seem to be picking up a core vote that I can only think is linked to the "not leave"......so I would stand by my point. The media only talks about the parties in terms of one thing - BREXIT, that must have a role...along with hospitals. libraries, creches etc which all have a bearing in locals

I think it is helping the Lib Dems, among 20% or so of voters.
  • Options

The decision clearly has been all but made; it just hasn't been announced. Very hard to square EEA membership with being outside the customs union and the Single Market. However, I guess the govt won't entirely rule it out as it's a possible mechanism (1) for transition, and (2) for a bespoke partial deal. What won't happen is full permanent EEA membership.
    There is a finesse whereby, as members of the EEA the government can say: we are not members of the single market, however we participate in the single market.

They will probably neglect to mention that as members of the EEA we will, through that organisation, have be participants of the EEA agreement and thereby EU laws governed by the CJEU.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

LOL

repeat to fade
    Not our most noted PB author?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Then it will be a price worth paying for them, surely?
    I think the answer you get from an unelected Eurocrat and a politician seeking re-election may be different.....
  • Options

It is not hard to square EEA membership with being outside the customs union at all. In fact all three EFTA members of the EEA are outside the Customs Union. It is why they are able to negotiate their own trade deals.
  • Options

I doubt that very much. The LibDems have always relied on local issues and I am sure they will have dominated those by elections.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

There is very little indication from yesterday's by elections that people voted on the basis of Leave or Remain at all.
    Spot on. Which suggests to me that the Lib Dems might not want to make hardcore Remain the centrepiece of their appeal. They potentially could go much wider than that as long as they don't look obsessed by the issue.
  • Options

I can't see how EEA membership is compatible with 'control of our own borders - that would be one heck of a cherry to pick.....
  • Options

A post which neatly explains why Brexit and Trump won - and look set to continue doing so.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Paywalls WORK.

QED
    For less than the price of a coffee a week = £5.

I'm pretty sure value-pack jars of coffee costs a lot less than a fiver and will last for weeks.

Perhaps jars of instant coffee not that popular in N1, that said.
  • Options

Yes, we discussed it here at some length many months ago - another good example of PB being well ahead of the mainstream media in identifying the issues.

Assuming the case eventually does get heard, we'll see which of us was right! The government is using exactly the argument I used - that we are signatories in our capacity as EU members.

Edit: Altered to reflect the fact that the High Court aren't allowing the challenge to be heard
    I assume that if the Government do say we are leaving the EEA either automatically or by choice then the challenge will return so hopefully we will still get some resolution of the question.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    PlatoSaid said:

Washington Examiner
    Senate votes to kill Obama coal rules https://t.co/ZBNu2RMx4U https://t.co/RzPLdQEwOf

"The Senate passed a resolution Thursday repealing regulations on the coal industry that were issued by the Obama administration in its eleventh hour.

The resolution passed, 54-45, one day after the House approved its own resolution of disapproval. The measure now will be sent to President Trump, who is expected to sign it. The resolution helps to fulfill part of Trump's pledge to help coal miners get out from under the weight of increased regulation on their industry.

In killing the Interior Department's last-minute Stream Protection Rule, the Republican leadership called it a rushed regulation that blindsided states with unnecessary and burdensome rules for coal mining.

US coal is being fecked by cheap shale gas, not by "unnecessary and burdensome" regulation. If Trump wants to support coal, he should increase the regulations on US frackers.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

There is a finesse whereby, as members of the EEA the government can say: we are not members of the single market, however we participate in the single market.

They will probably neglect to mention that as members of the EEA we will, through that organisation, have be participants of the EEA agreement and thereby EU laws governed by the CJEU.
    Nope. The laws governing the EFTA members are adjudicated by the EFTA Court.

But of course the main point that will probably kill EEA membership is going to be freedom of movement unfortunately.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Both are clear brands but the Lib Dems are the only game in town as far as the most committed Remainers are concerned in the same way that pre referendum UKIP represented anyone whos political stance was determined almost entirely on dislike the EU.
  • Options

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Are you saying free tuition fees subject to a period of loyalty to the NHS is bonded labour. I think the vast majority of voters would disagree with you, after all it would be their money providing the sponsorship
    That depends on length of tie. And level of subsidy. Many on here already think doctors' training to consultant level is subsidised too much. And as someone else said doctors don't mind the extra fees, they are voting with their feet because they're feed up with the inadequately covered rotas. Something Hunt had recently made worse.
  • Options
    Why all the leaking? I've got two theories:

1. Trump only really listens to things once they are presented to him via the media. Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway acknowledged in the campaign that the best way to get through to him was often to talk on cable TV or to other reporters. There's no indication that Trump has changed his voracious media consumption habits since he formally entered the White House. So it's uniquely possible that these leaks are aimed at reining him in, showing him that when he acts like this with, say, world leaders, it makes him look bad.

2. There are people at senior levels within the administration who have major concerns about Trump and his fitness for office. In the long tradition of whistleblowers, they are using selective leaks to make sure that people know what is really going on inside the White House.

Neither theory is a good thing for Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/02/the-leaks-coming-out-of-the-trump-white-house-right-now-are-totally-bananas/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.62cdc6d9fe7a
  • Options
    edited February 2017

TOPPING said:

Nope. The laws governing the EFTA members are adjudicated by the EFTA Court.

But of course the main point that will probably kill EEA membership is going to be freedom of movement unfortunately.
    Well as we have rehearsed at great length on here, the EFTA court adjudicates on matters of interpretation of EEA rules. The EEA decides to incorporate EU law into the EEA agreement and when it is incorporated thus, it is subject to the CJEU.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    edited February 2017
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

Funnily enough its standard practice for airline pilots and other people will internationally tradable skills in private business. Still the public sector always did want to be special snowflakes.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    edited February 2017
    We have had the Daily Mail delivered for over 50 years but when they announced their on line newspaper at £9.99 per month we took up the offer and cancelled the delivery at a considerable monthly saving. The only downside was my wife liked the puzzles in the paper but this morning she has said the online puzzles are excellent and she prefers them to the paper.

A small anecdote but the outlook for the future of print media is very poor.
This discussion has been closed.