Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lucian Fletcher on the latest Northern Ireland assembly poll

Comments

• Options
    Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

Old Holborn
    Rotherham child sex gang jailed for more than 80 years https://t.co/OUVpAwCRzN

They should throw away the key plus forced surgical castration, without an anaesthetic
    Feel better now?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

Old Holborn

They should throw away the key plus forced surgical castration, without an anaesthetic
    Feel better now?
    Castration without anaesthetic is too good for them.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Note to Labour - get the right leader, and look what can happen.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Sean_F said:

A big change, but such a result would still produce a right wing majority in the Bundestag.
    SPD + DL + Green is close to 50%
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

Old Holborn

Feel better now?
    OK, a little over the top, perhaps they can use an aspirin to deaden the pain.
  • Options
    Bloody Huns, spoiling the new right consensus narrative.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

A big change, but such a result would still produce a right wing majority in the Bundestag.
    Further away than CDU + Green + FDP.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Saying that Parliament is sovereign while we're in the EU is a bit like saying the Queen has the right to veto Acts of Parliament. If one can only exercise a right at the cost of bringing down the entire system, it has ceased to be a right in a substantive sense. This was why the referendum timing was so fortunate; we had experienced sufficient integration to demonstrate to the electorate just how entrapped we were, but not so much that withdrawal would be catastrophic.

SeanT is right. If it had been another 5-10 years, it would have been too late.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

The CDU, FDP, and AFD have 52%, though I expect that Merkel would never ally with AFD.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

Old Holborn

Feel better now?
    Can't you just cut them some slack? Stifle your feelings, keep schtum and it might all go away
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

Old Holborn

Feel better now?
    'the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue'
  • Options

Well, this puts one argument to bed ...
    twitter.com/Law_and_policy/status/827150102288596994

The UK was always technically sovereign, as the Brexit vote demonstrated.

The issue was whether the people were happy to (in practice) give up more and more control to the EU. "Practical Sovereignty", if you like.
    The EU is/was us. It's not a foreign body to which we give something up, but a shared resource to which we collectively delegate that which is common.
    No, the EU was far more "them" than "us".

Unless you view French, Dutch, German MEPs, voters, Ministers and Prime Ministers as being "us" and "our" PM/ministers/voters then the EU is not us.

If the EU can pass by Qualified Majority a law that our Parliament opposes then it is not "us" passing the law.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2017
  • Options

The issue was whether the people were happy to (in practice) give up more and more control to the EU. "Practical Sovereignty", if you like.
    The EU is/was us. It's not a foreign body to which we give something up, but a shared resource to which we collectively delegate that which is common.

Unless you view French, Dutch, German MEPs, voters, Ministers and Prime Ministers as being "us" and "our" PM/ministers/voters then the EU is not us.
    I do.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

I do.
    And that's absolutely fine William. At some point in the future, once all us middle aged folks have croaked, perhaps the UK will join the EU and shuffle off hand in hand in Euroland. Perhaps even before then, if the young get into the habit of voting at General Elections. Patience, young padawan.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

The use of "security" fee demands needs to be addressed to - it's just financial censorship.

5 mins in

youtu.be/TcmE-9hqxCc

I think it's the same for all events

Like all sponsors of similar events, BCR will be required to reimburse the University for the cost of basic event security. Law enforcement professionals in the UCPD have also explained to the BCR that, consistent with legal requirements, security charges were calculated based on neutral, objective criteria having nothing to do with the speaker’s perspectives, prior conduct on other campuses and/or expected protests by those who stand in opposition to his beliefs, rhetoric, and behavior.

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/01/26/chancellor-statement-on-yiannopoulos/
    Sounds entirely reasonable to me.
    The idea that the university is somehow to blame for the actions of idiots who allowed themselves to be provoked into violence by another idiot is absurd. Though of course, Berkeley is a liberal university, so fair game for the right wing trolls.

• Options

I do.
    Good for you. I don't.
  • Options

If it wasn't sovereign, how could we leave the EU?
    Indeed. But in many things it was only technically sovereign, not effectively so, as to assert that sovereignty it would first have needed to Leave the EU...
  • Options
    John_M said:

I do.
    And that's absolutely fine William. At some point in the future, once all us middle aged folks have croaked, perhaps the UK will join the EU and shuffle off hand in hand in Euroland. Perhaps even before then, if the young get into the habit of voting at General Elections. Patience, young padawan.
    Except by then today's young folk will be tomorrow's middle aged folk and will be no more willing to give up their nation than you.

I feel far more affinity for Americans, Australians etc than I do Germans. The idea that Merkel is my Chancellor is as alien as the idea that Trump is my President.
  • Options

I do.
    Then you have my sympathy, because now you are stateless. You are not British.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

Old Holborn

Are they any adult male Pakistani men left in Rotherham who AREN'T either in jail for child rape and abuse, or on trial for the same? Who's driving the taxis?
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/762292/Rothernham-abuse-trial-Allah-akbar-jail
  • Options
    edited February 2017

John_M said:

I do.
    Except by then today's young folk will be tomorrow's middle aged folk and will be no more willing to give up their nation than you.

I feel far more affinity for Americans, Australians etc than I do Germans. The idea that Merkel is my Chancellor is as alien as the idea that Trump is my President.
    Shhh! I'm trying to be emollient and give our rare and precious Euro-federalist hope. Now you've come stomping in and ruined the effect, you heartless brute *runs off crying*.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Yes, that was a point quite a few of us made quite a few times on here during the referendum campaign when we were repeatedly told that Parliament was not sovereign.

Shall we just say "In an abusive relationship - we could get out but were prevented from doing so."
  • Options

Indeed. But in many things it was only technically sovereign, not effectively so, as to assert that sovereignty it would first have needed to Leave the EU...
    Indeed Parliament being sovereign is akin to an adult being able to live their lives freely under their own roof - it requires having your own roof. If you decide to move from living in your own home where you can say "my house, my rules" to flat-sharing where everyone has a say in the rules then that is a loss of independence. Sure you can regain it by moving out but unless you actually do face the big wide world on your own, you can't say "my house, my rules".

Many of our European neighbours are quite young adults and previously lived in their parents homes [non-democracies] where they got no say in their own rules so don't feel the loss of independence bite like we do. We had long lived on our own so were less keen to agree to share accommodation - let alone have communal funds with some housemates that we knew had major financial issues.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

I do.
    But strangely enough I am English, so the way things are going I will be able to have a state to call my own again soon.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

While we're talking about Germany, I'd just like to point out that Cornishh thriller-meister S K Tremayne has two books in the Spiegel bestseller lists this week, STIEFKIND at number 14 and EISIGE SCHWESTERN at number 8.

Both are ahead of the reprint of Anne Frank's DIARY at number 16.

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

You may be able to hide from the Gestapo, but you can't hide from my success.

I see the sun is well over the yardarm in the Orient ;).
  • Options
    Desperate people look for desperate remedies.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/02/02/ex-obama-official-suggests-military-coup-trump/

Old Bill should come knocking. presumably this is a tweet that will be deleted and declared to be misinterpreted.

TBH - something sinister has happened in America (and the UK) - I can't remember violent demonstrations when the Bush family were elected or Major won in 1992 - so what is poisoning/ abusing/ destroying so many people?
  • Options

I do.
    Good for you. I don't.
    Very few Brits do. Maybe 10%, if that.

And that's why the UK staying in the EU was unsustainable.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748

If the EU can pass by Qualified Majority a law that our Parliament opposes then it is not "us" passing the law.

Interesting. If you applied the same test to Scotland and the UK, a large number of Scots, and not just those voting SNP, would not see English MPs, leaders and parties as "us". I don't think many English see Nicola Sturgeon as "us" either. I would personally find it sad if we are incapable of any kind of partnership on the grounds of others not belonging.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    SeanT said:

While we're talking about Germany, I'd just like to point out that Cornishh thriller-meister S K Tremayne has two books in the Spiegel bestseller lists this week, STIEFKIND at number 14 and EISIGE SCHWESTERN at number 8.

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

Unbelievably and gratuitously offensive. Shameful.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Ireland have done preclearance for donkeys years and so popular with business people some even fly through Shannon to save time.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

I do.
    But strangely enough I am English, so the way things are going I will be able to have a state to call my own again soon.
    [grins]

Bet?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

Unbelievably and gratuitously offensive. Shameful.
    That was the intention. DERRR
    Is your inspiration gin, or Milo Yiannopoulos ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Schulz and Macron is probably the worst possible outcome for Brexit Britain. They are both massive europhiles and Schulz is practically an Anglophobe.

We need a pragmatic rightwing Frog and - can't believe I'm saying this - Merkel.

I still think Merkel will do it. The Germans are a small c conservative bunch and she remains mystifyingly popular.

Schulz I'll grant you, but Macron is very pragmatic, is he not?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    edited February 2017
    Mr. Jonnie, I think part of it is the echo chamber of social media.

In the past, different opinions were put up with because you'd be chatting in a pub and didn't fancy a fight, or want to embarrass your friends. Now, chats are online. 'Bad' opinions lead to moderation, muting, blocking, being expelled from groups. Political perspectives have become wrapped up with morality. You're on the same side, or you're wicked.

A differing idea (remember, 'embrace diversity' doesn't necessarily apply to political opinions) is seen more as heresy than a valid but alternative viewpoint.

It's a simplistic, black and white, binary view of things. And, right now, politics is getting more polarised. Shades of the Peloponnesian War. Which lasted a little over a quarter of a century.

The social media echo chamber also makes some opinions socially unacceptable, so the adherents of an orthodoxy get perplexed and enraged when, mystifyingly, they lose votes. How could it happen when *everyone* they know agrees with them?

And then the denigration of disagreement happens. Contempt for the elderly, or the working class. Bloody poor people. Life's losers, what do they know? [It does flow the other way, to an extent, regarding the liberal metropolitan elite].

The effort to persuade* has been replaced by finger-wagging lectures.

*To an extent. I still think the vast, vast majority on both sides of the referendum result are perfectly reasonable. Unfortunately, the most divisive of fools are both the most certain and the loudest.

Edited extra bit: the endorsement of political violence has been even more disturbing. It turns out 'Nazi' is a magic word that means someone doesn't deserve to be equal under the law, but is a punching bag for the righteous.

http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/milo-and-clodius.html
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.
    I'm sure the mods will be along to card me if I have crossed that fine, fine line.
    Oh, I laughed, but I felt guilty about doing so.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    Scott_P said:

Special relationship...

twitter.com/stuartmillar159/status/827164140510773248

Anything to avoid those hideously long lines at the US border.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/02/02/ex-obama-official-suggests-military-coup-trump/

Old Bill should come knocking. presumably this is a tweet that will be deleted and declared to be misinterpreted.

TBH - something sinister has happened in America (and the UK) - I can't remember violent demonstrations when the Bush family were elected or Major won in 1992 - so what is poisoning/ abusing/ destroying so many people?

Hypothesises a military coup might be more accurate. Not exactly a criminal matter, still less for English coppers - unless you were referring to President Clinton ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.
    I'm sure the mods will be along to card me if I have crossed that fine, fine line.
    I hope you aren't thinking of doing a us college speaking tour any time soon ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2017

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.
    I hope you aren't thinking of doing a us college speaking tour any time soon ;-)
    Actually, I think that a Sean T college speaking tour would be very entertaining. Delivering lectures on such subjects as "Would you rather your daughter got cancer or feminism?" or "Anne Frank, Failed Author."
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Genuinely interesting statement from a PCC (whatever next) about the HBOS fraud case: https://www.thamesvalley-pcc.gov.uk/news-and-events/thamesvalley-pcc-news/2017/01/operation-hornet-statement-from-police-and-crime-commissioner/

It demonstrates the cost of properly investigating fraud and the real risk that it is not investigated often enough.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

In the past, different opinions were put up with because you'd be chatting in a pub and didn't fancy a fight, or want to embarrass your friends. Now, chats are online. 'Bad' opinions lead to moderation, muting, blocking, being expelled from groups. Political perspectives have become wrapped up with morality. You're on the same side, or you're wicked.

A differing idea (remember, 'embrace diversity' doesn't necessarily apply to political opinions) is seen more as heresy than a valid but alternative viewpoint.

It's a simplistic, black and white, binary view of things. And, right now, politics is getting more polarised. Shades of the Peloponnesian War. Which lasted a little over a quarter of a century.

The social media echo chamber also makes some opinions socially unacceptable, so the adherents of an orthodoxy get perplexed and enraged when, mystifyingly, they lose votes. How could it happen when *everyone* they know agrees with them?

And then the denigration of disagreement happens. Contempt for the elderly, or the working class. Bloody poor people. Life's losers, what do they know? [It does flow the other way, to an extent, regarding the liberal metropolitan elite].

*To an extent. I still think the vast, vast majority on both sides of the referendum result are perfectly reasonable. Unfortunately, the most divisive of fools are both the most certain and the loudest.

Edited extra bit: the endorsement of political violence has been even more disturbing. It turns out 'Nazi' is a magic word that means someone doesn't deserve to be equal under the law, but is a punching bag for the righteous.

Sad but true.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.
    Actually, I think that a Sean T college speaking tour would be very entertaining.
    Guest 'speaker' at the sorority hazing events?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

is mr foxinsox in the room, or tyson? I remember them both pooh-poohing the Jay report into Rotherham abuse as being full of wild exaggeration.

Well here you go, from that Express article:

"Last year, the NCA said it had engaged with 133 victims and survivors but investigators were confident that Prof Jay was right when she said in her report that the total was around 1,400.

The agency said it was looking at hundreds of potential suspects."

There’s fiction and then there’s the Express......
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.
    Similarly, although I do wonder how S K Tremayne will be doing in the charts seventy years after he's gone! ;)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.
    Actually, I think that a Sean T college speaking tour would be very entertaining. Delivering lectures on such subjects as "Would you rather your daughter got cancer or feminism?" or "Anne Frank, Failed Author."
    A sweary hybrid of Hunter S Thompson and P J O'Rourke? What could go wrong?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

She'll have the last laugh. She'll still be selling in 5, 10, 20 years, when you have fvcked and boozed and snorted your millions away and are living in, er, an attic....
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    weejonnie said:

The fact that Trump is so off-the-scale, unprecedentedly, outwith-acceptable-parameters bonkers. None of us thought a mature first-world democracy could throw up something like him.

I think you have it the wrong way round, by the way. The wankeroid left put a lot of work into demonstrating against the benign and lovely Margaret Thatcher as if she were the antichrist. Now we have a real antichrist to deal with they can't out-hyperbole what they said about Fatcha, and so the reaction is a weary "we have heard this before".
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

It has been claimed that the USA declined to take the Anne Frank family as refugees so they had to stay in Europe when the Germans invaded.

Not sure if this is fake news.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.
    I laughed and felt guilty as I wrote it.

It is an interesting question: will the Holocaust ever be seen as suitable for humour, and even mockery? I think Yes, and possibly quite soon. Young people just don't have that sombre "reverence" about it that our generation does. In fifty years time it will be ancient history, and treated as such.

In 100 or 200 years it will be largely forgotten.

I'm not saying this is good. I cried the other day over that Holocaust photo of that little girl. It affects me, and deeply. But it won't affect my kids, or their grandkids, anything like as much.
    It was an Israeli foreign minister, Abba Eban, who liked to joke that "There's no business like Shoah business."
  • Options
    Trump just now - doesn't like NAFTA saying is has been a catastrophe for the US. He is going to strike lots of new trade deals but adding an extra F into the title - free and fair trade

No one can accuse him of hanging around but boy is he a lose cannon
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017
    The SeanT "lock up your daughters" college tour 2017...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.

It is an interesting question: will the Holocaust ever be seen as suitable for humour, and even mockery? I think Yes, and possibly quite soon. Young people just don't have that sombre "reverence" about it that our generation does. In fifty years time it will be ancient history, and treated as such.

I'm not saying this is good. I cried the other day over that Holocaust photo of that little girl. It affects me, and deeply. But it won't affect my kids, or their grandkids, anything like as much.
    Even relatively personal and family history loses its impact. By this time 100 years ago all of my great-grandmothers were widows with young children. While I can empathise, it doesn't really touch me.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/30/i-can-tolerate-anything-except-the-outgroup/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Did he have the President's permission or should he go after him for violating the Logan Act?
  • Options

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

It has been claimed that the USA declined to take the Anne Frank family as refugees so they had to stay in Europe when the Germans invaded.

I’ve heard that somewhere. Doesn’t make it true, of course.
  • Options

Bloody Huns, spoiling the new right consensus narrative.
    Where are the Nazis when you need them?
  • Options
    EU meeting in Malta today is asking Theresa May to brief them on her meeting with Trump. Is this the same organisation thats wants to punish us for leaving
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.

Those that forget history...

• Options
    weejonnie said:

Unfortunately, elements of the British Right haven't been averse to such dangerous undemocratic silliness:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11881873/Generals-talking-about-politics-should-remember-whos-the-boss.html
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.

Why not test the water by writing a treatment for a TV comedy series called העלא ,העלא set in Buchenwald? Let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Mr. Pong, I've referred to it before, but when at university (did Psychology) one of the most interesting papers was a study done in the early 90s, before gay marriage was a thing.

Homophobes were asked about their views. Naturally, they opposed gay adoption, equal rights, gay marriage etc. But when told gay people opposed gay rights, the homophobes became in favour of them.

As well as being wryly amusing, it also indicated the objection wasn't to policies or equality, it was to the homosexuals themselves.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Unfortunately, elements of the British Right haven't been averse to such dangerous undemocratic silliness:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11881873/Generals-talking-about-politics-should-remember-whos-the-boss.html
    But the british right haven't been burinng down universities and launching unprovoked violent attacks on people from the left to prevent them speaking.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

weejonnie said:

"elements of the British Right" omg, thats hilarious. I can imagine you now desperately trawling through google trying to shore up a dreadful argument.

Politics has got uglier in this country, no doubt. The 2015 demonstrations outside the Conservative Party Conference was beyond anything we have seen for decades.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.
    Keynote Symposium: LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! LOOK HOW FUCKING RICH I AM!
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.

Those that forget history...

...don't understand Blackadder?
  • Options

EU meeting in Malta today is asking Theresa May to brief them on her meeting with Trump. Is this the same organisation thats wants to punish us for leaving

Back of the queue with them!
  • Options
    Pre Clearance for the US at UK airports has been under discussion for several years. It's been going nowhere slowly.

Not sure if this 'news' is just recycled for a positive spin or if genuine movement has been made. I doubt it as it provides no advantage to US citizens.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Who could have predicted that? Oh wait....

Anyhoo, Nuttall is 10/3 as next Leader out with William Hill

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/g/295788/Next+Leader+To+Leave.html
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Who could have predicted that? Oh wait....

Anyhoo, Nuttall is 10/3 as next Leader out with William Hill

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/g/295788/Next+Leader+To+Leave.html
    What price do you think UKIP should be to win Stoke after this revelation?
  • Options

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/01/30/book-review-eichmann-in-jerusalem/

"What eventually happened we all know too well. Other countries started closing their doors and refusing to accept Jewish refugees. Despite hearing this story a hundred times, the version in Eichmann in Jerusalem was new to me. I had always thought of countries as closing their gates to a few prescient people trying to flee Nazi Germany on their own, or to a few stragglers who managed to escape. The truth is on a much greater scale: the Nazis were willing to let every single Jew in Europe leave, they even had entire bureaucracies trying to make it happen – and the rest of the world wouldn’t cooperate. The blood on the hands of the people who wouldn’t let them in is not just that of a few escapees, but the entire six million."
  • Options

Pre Clearance for the US at UK airports has been under discussion for several years. It's been going nowhere slowly.

Not sure if this 'news' is just recycled for a positive spin or if genuine movement has been made. I doubt it as it provides no advantage to US citizens.

US citizens will also avoid the immigration line when they arrive!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880

I remember Jeffery Deaver staring at my 16 year old daughters breasts the whole time she was speaking to him at a book signing
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Can I ask, what exactly was the rationale for thinking Paul Nutall was "Labour's nightmare"? Was it ONLY that he had a Northern accent? Do the commentariat really have such a patronising view of Northerners that they thought that would be enough to sway it?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    These lefties and their "democracy" eh?!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PeterAlexander: BREAKING: US Treasury Dept easing Obama admin sanctions to allow companies to do transactions with Russia's FSB, successor org to KGB.
  • Options

I remember Jeffery Deaver staring at my 16 year old daughters breasts the whole time she was speaking to him at a book signing
    Customary to wear clothes to these things ;)

I jest, of course.
  • Options
    @chrisshipitv: So @HackneyAbbott just arrived home in a car, saw the @itvnews camera outside her house. The car then drove on
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Just fyi, everyone, while you're wibbling on about stuff that doesn't really matter

https://www.theatlas.com/charts/r1cg1VCPg

In other words, you pay €0.95 for a bond that pays out at €1.00 in July.

The 10 year bond has barely shifted: https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GGGB10YR:IND
    Assuming it isn't restructured...

(And the 10 year bond will probably shift nearer the time)
    The 10 year is also trading near its 12 month highs
    I'm not a bond guy...
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    The Police & Crime Commissioner for Thames Valley has issued a very strong statement about the HBOS swindlers, and the difficulties his force faced. He appears to regard the bank and the banks regulators as irresponsible and therefore partly at leasst culpable.
    https://www.thamesvalley-pcc.gov.uk/news-and-events/thamesvalley-pcc-news/2017/01/operation-hornet-statement-from-police-and-crime-commissioner/
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/01/30/book-review-eichmann-in-jerusalem/

"What eventually happened we all know too well. Other countries started closing their doors and refusing to accept Jewish refugees. Despite hearing this story a hundred times, the version in Eichmann in Jerusalem was new to me. I had always thought of countries as closing their gates to a few prescient people trying to flee Nazi Germany on their own, or to a few stragglers who managed to escape. The truth is on a much greater scale: the Nazis were willing to let every single Jew in Europe leave, they even had entire bureaucracies trying to make it happen – and the rest of the world wouldn’t cooperate. The blood on the hands of the people who wouldn’t let them in is not just that of a few escapees, but the entire six million."
    I don't think that the Nazis ever intended that the Jews of Eastern Europe should be allowed to emigrate, after WWII began.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Can I ask, what exactly was the rationale for thinking Paul Nutall was "Labour's nightmare"? Was it ONLY that he had a Northern accent? Do the commentariat really have such a patronising view of Northerners that they thought that would be enough to sway it?

My favourite was when I saw some in the media say Stoke was a Northern seat.

DAFUQ!
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Just fyi, everyone, while you're wibbling on about stuff that doesn't really matter

https://www.theatlas.com/charts/r1cg1VCPg

In other words, you pay €0.95 for a bond that pays out at €1.00 in July.

The 10 year bond has barely shifted: https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GGGB10YR:IND
    Assuming it isn't restructured...

(And the 10 year bond will probably shift nearer the time)
    The 10 year is also trading near its 12 month highs
    I'm not a bond guy...
    No, that's because the next Bond guy isn't going to be a Bond guy.

Or something.
  • Options
    Who would have guessed that Paul Nuttall, who has previously let it be understood that he played for Tranmere Rovers and has a doctorate, would have difficulties with basic questions of fact?
  • Options
    notme said:

weejonnie said:

"elements of the British Right" omg, thats hilarious. I can imagine you now desperately trawling through google trying to shore up a dreadful argument.

Politics has got uglier in this country, no doubt. The 2015 demonstrations outside the Conservative Party Conference was beyond anything we have seen for decades.
    Calm down. I didn't 'trawl through' anything, but remembered Hodges' article from when I first read it.
  • Options
    That said, I can't imagine Mr Nuttall's travails will alter many votes.
  • Options

Who would have guessed that Paul Nuttall, who has previously let it be understood that he played for Tranmere Rovers and has a doctorate, would have difficulties with basic questions of fact?

That's Lord Professor Nuttall to you.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Up Yours, ANNE FRANK

LOSER!!

A little tasteless.

For humour, see Benigni's "Life is Beautiful" Not in the same league as your Anne Frank gag, of course.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

Old Holborn

Feel better now?
    Can't you just cut them some slack? Stifle your feelings, keep schtum and it might all go away
    Shurely he's offering to cut some slack for them?
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

PlatoSaid said:

Old Holborn

Feel better now?
    Shurely he's offering to cut some slack for them?
    Very good!
  • Options

That said, I can't imagine Mr Nuttall's travails will alter many votes.

The fact that he will probably be elected before being unelected adds to the piquancy
  • Options
    RobD said:

That's Lord Professor Nuttall to you.
    Point of pedantry, the educated part of the title goes before title/honour etc.

So for example it's Professor The Lord Winston.

Or Brigadier The Lord Lovat.

etc etc
This discussion has been closed.