Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The lack of options for Brexit Britain

Comments

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited January 2017
    This insistence that the average Brit likes Trump / would approve of his immigration policies, is reminding me of comments that PBers made last year, insisting that the "Sadiq Khan is a terrorist" campaign would succeed in the Mayoral election.

Most people believe that current levels of immigration to Britain are too high. Separately, they also believe Islamic extremism is a big problem and that an alarmingly high number of Muslims (albeit a minority) have sympathy with the extremist ideology. But it doesn't follow from those two beliefs that they think ALL Muslims are worthy of suspicion and/or should be treated as second-class citizens, as in the case of the anti-Khan campaign and with Trump's Muslim ban - but PBers and right-wing media commentators can't seem to grasp this.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited January 2017
    New dr who required....no grim hasn't got capaldi, he is moving on.
  • Options

All I would say (for now) about the supposed caving in to Trumpist values in Brexit Britain is that neither our Parliament nor our Government is contemplating a Muslim veil ban. Unlike large swathes of allegedly more enlightened continental Europe, including St. Angela of Berlin's goody-goody Germany.

Oh, and this:

https://twitter.com/YvetteCooperMP/status/826176874699227137

It's all a good deal more complex than is portrayed by some of the more fundamentalist voices at either extreme of the political divide.

Can someone explain to me what effect this has. Is it just a meaningless debate or do we summon tne US Ambassador for a dressing down
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Of course Trump isn't Hitler.

Trump is Trump. Like the bloke on the tube said "He's a c*nt, but there's nothing we can do about it"

Well, quite. I made the same point earlier, albeit less pithily.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    FF43 said:

Merkel treats Greece like shit, should we stop talking to her ?

I don't think Merkel does treat Greece like shit. It's human nature never to be grateful to those that bail you out. Greece doesn't have to take the new loans from Germany. They could default.
    They should default.
  • Options
  • Options
    There will be hell toupee but we will overcomb..........
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Obama for Doctor Who
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    midwinter said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

Today is the 84th Anniversary of Adolf Hitler becoming Chancellor. I wonder how Donald Trump is celebrating it.

In the way that the rest of us do.
    In the case of us PB righties, goose-stepping around the living room and surrounding a portrait of the Fuhrer with candles.
    Whilst effigies of Mo Farah and Jean-Claude Juncker burn in the background.
    Are we having cake? A nice, swastika-shaped cake....
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

weejonnie said:

justin124 said:

Today is the 84th Anniversary of Adolf Hitler becoming Chancellor. I wonder how Donald Trump is celebrating it.

I detest Trump but the Hitler thing really is bollocks. Within 3 months of taking power in 1933 Hitler had had all the Left wing politicians arrested and with 6 months had imprisoned 25,000 political opponents. All you do with these stupid comments is dilute the severity of what happened in Germany.
    Today is also the 45th Anniversary of 'Bloody Sunday' I wonder how Her Majesty is celebrating it?

It is also the 69th Anniversary of the assassination of Mahatma Ghandi. I wonder how Richard Tyndall is celebrating it?
    Not quite sure what either of those have to do with me. Have you been drinking perhaps?
    Actually it was a dig at the person to whom you replied - got the name incorrect - just from the blockquotes - so apologies.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

midwinter said:

justin124 said:

Raising a glass to the bust of Churchill?
    I don't think Trump drinks alcohol. Perhaps with good reason. He is a twat when sober, the prospect of a disinhibited Trump doesn't sound too good. Imagine Trump without his self restraint.
    Actually it's because his brother was an alcoholic who died early from cirrhosis of the liver.

But feel free to use it to make a cheap political point why don't you.
    Wondering what Trump's vice is.
    He seems quite partial to women....
  • Options
    Trainspotting 2 was awesome.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Trump is teetotal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38651623

A microbrewery in Bristol has banned him, a great gesture of tolerance.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Obama for Doctor Who

He has shown to be a good enough actor.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126

Interesting, Camilla Long gave it a pretty poor review in the ST magazine yesterday
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited January 2017
    Jonathan said:

Obama for Doctor Who

Please no.

There's some Whovians who get very upset when you suggest the Doctor might regenerate into a non white (fe)male
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,357
    edited January 2017
    Faisal Islam must be Scott P. He is off the scale of balanced reporting (mind you has been for a while) and saying that we have taken the side of the US directly against the EU.

He sounds desparate to conflate this with Brexit like quite a few on here.

I have never heard TM say anything but complementary remarks about the EU, in fact she was glowing in front of Enda Kenny today

I cannot see her giving in on the State Visit no matter what pressure she comes under
  • Options

All I would say (for now) about the supposed caving in to Trumpist values in Brexit Britain is that neither our Parliament nor our Government is contemplating a Muslim veil ban. Unlike large swathes of allegedly more enlightened continental Europe, including St. Angela of Berlin's goody-goody Germany.

Oh, and this:

https://twitter.com/YvetteCooperMP/status/826176874699227137

It's all a good deal more complex than is portrayed by some of the more fundamentalist voices at either extreme of the political divide.

Can someone explain to me what effect this has. Is it just a meaningless debate or do we summon tne US Ambassador for a dressing down
    I think the phrase is Sweet Fanny Adams. (By the way - did Miliband raise a similar motion when Obama blocked Cubans from entering the US as refugees? (They didn't vote overwwhelmingly for Clinton down in Florida so they are obviously not welcome.))
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

justin124 said:

I detest Trump but the Hitler thing really is bollocks. Within 3 months of taking power in 1933 Hitler had had all the Left wing politicians arrested and with 6 months had imprisoned 25,000 political opponents. All you do with these stupid comments is dilute the severity of what happened in Germany.
    Today is also the 45th Anniversary of 'Bloody Sunday' I wonder how Her Majesty is celebrating it?

It is also the 69th Anniversary of the assassination of Mahatma Ghandi. I wonder how Richard Tyndall is celebrating it?
    Not quite sure what either of those have to do with me. Have you been drinking perhaps?
    Actually it was a dig at the person to whom you replied - got the name incorrect - just from the blockquotes - so apologies.
    Thanks and apologies for snapping back.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Obama for Doctor Who

Please no.

There's some Whovians who get very upset when you suggest the Doctor might regenerate into a non white (fe)male
    Lets have a petition to stop Donald Trump being the new Dr....
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    HYUFD said:

May has made clear she will only sign a deal which benefits both sides, if not she can walk away and still have a big U.S. trade surplus
    She has got her tongue in the cleft of his backside.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited January 2017
    You know who Trump reminds me of.

His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Doctor Massive Hands, Donald J Trump, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas, and King of Scotland.

That'll be his title during his Presidency
  • Options
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,984
  • Options
    Labour back to being favourites in Stoke over on Betfair.

I wonder if a poll has been conducted.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

Faisal Islam must be Scott P. He is off the scale of balanced reporting (mind you has been for a while) and saying that we have taken the side of the US directly against the EU.

I have never heard TM say anything but complementary remarks about the EU, in fact she was glowing in front of Enda Kenny today

I cannot see her giving in on the State Visit no matter what pressure she comes under

Perhaps the Queen will have a word with her, advised by Charles. I presume she has the last word on the matter.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,687

You and Dr Sunil been on a date?
  • Options
    Trump thinks Farage would make the best Who.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Danny565 said:

This insistence that the average Brit likes Trump / would approve of his immigration policies, is reminding me of comments that PBers made last year, insisting that the "Sadiq Khan is a terrorist" campaign would succeed in the Mayoral election.

Most people believe that current levels of immigration to Britain are too high. Separately, they also believe Islamic extremism is a big problem and that an alarmingly high number of Muslims (albeit a minority) have sympathy with the extremist ideology. But it doesn't follow from those two beliefs that they think ALL Muslims are worthy of suspicion and/or should be treated as second-class citizens, as in the case of the anti-Khan campaign and with Trump's Muslim ban - but PBers and right-wing media commentators can't seem to grasp this.

Who's insisting? All I said was I don't think people who were motivated to vote by immigration concerns are going to be outraged by someone being tough on immigration
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

I do not think Trump is Hitler, and of course the comparison is facile. The comparison with the "America First" Isolationists of the 1920s and 30s is however rather more apt.

This way of acting is a lot older than that. Nativism is virtually the norm for the US.

Many of the most prestigious institutions are named after or have ties to families who were amongst the first settlers, or those of the thirteen colonies. Those families form a sort-of aristocracy to this day. There is an implicit belief that those families longest established in the US are better.

The descendants of earlier immigrants looked down on later immigrants, the Irish and Italians faced a lot of discrimination from English, Dutch and German, but once they became established they too discriminated against the next wave of settlers, and often carved out powerful niches in local politics and government on the way. US politics frequently references nationality and ethnicity, because in the old days at least people really did vote in blocks.

America has been having "scares" almost since it was founded, two periods of "red scares" in the 20th century, a lot of worrying about "anarchists" in the 19th, plus worries about Japanese, German, English, French, Mexican, and Spanish subversion, depending on who the US was currently at war with, and doubts about the allegiance of those descended from such nationalities.

Trump in some respects is nothing new, and not a surprising response to the "culture wars" and Democrats playing some of the same games for their own ends.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Barnesian said:

Perhaps the Queen will have a word with her, advised by Charles. I presume she has the last word on the matter.
    If the Queen can host King Abdullah, Putin and President Xi she can certainly host Trump, otherwise we stop all state visits for anyone but the Emperor of Japan and her fellow European Monarchs
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    "The contrast is starkly made with other European leaders. Angela Merkel, for example, has felt no need to rush to Donald Trump’s side. She has been able to set her own course and has felt uninhibited in condemning this policy. She is able to do this because she has more options, options that are derived in large part from Germany being in the EU. Britain, it is becoming painfully clear, is out of options."

Parliament has condemned the policy. The Government has said it is not a path that we would seek to follow. Meanwhile, from our supposedly morally superior friends on the continent, a considerable measure of silence. Or actual praise, in the case of such out-there, far-right figures as... erm... the Italian foreign minister, and the prime minister of Bavaria.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/826190591918796805

Surprisingly, they appear to be "out of options" as well. Despite the EU.

Of course, this once again goes to show that things are more complex than some people portray them as being. Theresa May is bound to be in a position of weakness relative to the USA, because everybody is - including the Chinese, when push comes to shove. But it doesn't follow that the country must be better off in a struggling political project that it doesn't like, and which is built and run according to other nations' priorities, and within which so many states and political movements are far less committed either to democracy or to liberalism than we ourselves are.

Moreover, Britain can't have any fewer options outside the EU than within it, because the EU is all about conformism, not plurality, with the long-term aim being the extinction of the nation state. Faced with a choice between that and the open sea, we were right to choose the sea - even if it does mean coming to an accommodation with Donald Trump. Which the rest of Europe will eventually have to do, anyway.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

midwinter said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

In the case of us PB righties, goose-stepping around the living room and surrounding a portrait of the Fuhrer with candles.
    Absolutely. 84 candles and everything. I know its pushing the boat out but WTF it's only once a year. And you know what they say...when a PB Tory is tired of a bit of intolerance, bigotry and casual racism he's tired of life itself.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

May has made clear she will only sign a deal which benefits both sides, if not she can walk away and still have a big U.S. trade surplus
    She has got her tongue in the cleft of his backside.
    He needs her too, he can't just rely on Netanyahu and Putin and the President of Taiwan
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

If the Queen can host King Abdullah, Putin and President Xi she can certainly host Trump, otherwise we stop all state visits for anyone but Justin Trudeau and Merkel
    You say "she can certainly host Trump". I suggest that it is up to her.
  • Options

Labour back to being favourites in Stoke over on Betfair.

I wonder if a poll has been conducted.

Lab 2.04 Ukip 2.06

I wouldn't read too much into any of these movements, it's not a very liquid market. Why on earth people lay 2.04 when the next price is 1.97 is beyond me.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

justin124 said:

He's still got 80 days to go mun, give him time.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

justin124 said:

Actually Trump did run on a ticket to lock up his opponent. Although thankfully that's one thing he has so far backed away from.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

If the Queen can host King Abdullah, Putin and President Xi she can certainly host Trump, otherwise we stop all state visits for anyone but the Emperor of Japan and her fellow European Monarchs
    Abdullah and co. come from dictatorships. USA used to have a rule of law.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

If the Queen can host King Abdullah, Putin and President Xi she can certainly host Trump, otherwise we stop all state visits for anyone but Justin Trudeau and Merkel
    No, she is our Head of State and a constitutional one at that, if she starts picking and choosing who she hosts she fails to properly represent the nation by hosting other Heads of State and effectively becomes a politician, something which even the Queen understands
  • Options
    So hosting Ceaucescu, King Abdullah and Putin did not then?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

justin124 said:

Last Sunday, Trump tweeted "Somebody with aptitude and conviction should buy the FAKE NEWS and failing @nytimes and either run it correctly or let it fold with dignity!" He may be encouraging his billionaire friends to buy up and shut down dissenting media. Watch this space. We're only six days into this.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Alistair said:

justin124 said:

Actually Trump did run on a ticket to lock up his opponent. Although thankfully that's one thing he has so far backed away from.
    Thankfully ??? She is a crook.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited January 2017
    @SamCoatesTimes: On Buckingham Palace anger, apparently particular irritation felt at the way Theresa May offered the state visit as part of press conference

@SamCoatesTimes: ... The Palace does not, I get the impression, think that State Visits are political baubles to be dangled at press conferences...

@SamCoatesTimes: .... the Palace believe that the state visit invitation is from one head of state to another - the PM is effectively message carrier ...

@SamCoatesTimes: ... it's not for No10 to weaponised a state visit invite to its advantage in a press conference.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

No, she is our Head of State and a constitutional one at that, if she starts picking and choosing who she hosts she fails to properly represent the nation by hosting other Heads of State and effectively becomes a politician, something which even the Queen understands
    So she'll do as she's told then?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: On Buckingham Palace anger, apparently particular irritation felt at the way Theresa May offered the state visit as part of press conference

@SamCoatesTimes: ... The Palace does not, I get the impression, think that State Visits are political baubles to be dangled at press conferences...</blockquote

If the Palace can host dictators it can bloody well host Trump!!

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: ... The Palace does not, I get the impression, think that State Visits are political baubles to be dangled at press conferences...

Royal snowflakes..
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

She is Head of State not a private citizen and 'Palace sources' are often far from the Queen's own views
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Probably worried about having to buy plastic sheets
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    So the Queen is not embarrassed to meet Trump, but she doesn't like getting pimped out by the PM
  • Options

You know who Trump reminds me of.

His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Doctor Massive Hands, Donald J Trump, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas, and King of Scotland.

That'll be his title during his Presidency

Ask Malc and divvie if that's a price their willing to pay for an independent Scotland.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Interesting, Camilla Long gave it a pretty poor review in the ST magazine yesterday
    Now I know it's going to be fantastic.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Now I know it's going to be fantastic.
    It is brilliant, there's this one segment with Rangers fans/Loyalists.

I was crying with laughter a lot during that segment.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,948
    No, no, no. No bloody Tom Hiddlestons, no geriatric middle-aged males written by geriatric middle-aged males who keep writing episodes as fan fiction instead of dramas for a family audience. No time-travelling wives or forgotten incarnations. Pick a good looking twentysomething with gravitas that the girlies can wet themselves about. Lock Moffat in a box and put the box in a sack and launch the sack into space. Monster appears. Doctor confronts monster. Monster captures companion. Doctor saves companion. Big speech. Rousing music. Monster retires and vows revenge. Bake at Gas Mk 4 for 90 minutes and serve. Beginning, middle, end. IN THAT ORDER.
  • Options
    It is good to see EdM taking such a lead on this issue.

Perhaps he'll continue with this burst of energy and actually do some work for his constituents as well.

Or perhaps not.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Scott_P said:

So the Queen is not embarrassed to meet Trump, but she doesn't like getting pimped out by the PM

Prince Charles is setting out his stall.

https://twitter.com/Mendelpol/status/826199261867962368
  • Options
    viewcode said:

No, no, no. No bloody Tom Hiddlestons, no geriatric middle-aged males written by geriatric middle-aged males who keep writing episodes as fan fiction instead of dramas for a family audience. No time-travelling wives or forgotten incarnations. Pick a good looking twentysomething with gravitas that the girlies can wet themselves about. Lock Moffat in a box and put the box in a sack and launch the sack into space. Monster appears. Doctor confronts monster. Monster captures companion. Doctor saves companion. Big speech. Rousing music. Monster retires and vows revenge. Bake at Gas Mk 4 for 90 minutes and serve. Beginning, middle, end. IN THAT ORDER.
    With it all taking place in a claustrophobic base.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
  • Options

viewcode said:

With it all taking place in a claustrophobic base.
    ...under siege.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    viewcode said:

Agree, and a frisson of chemistry with a nubile. companion.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited January 2017
    viewcode said:

I get the feeling you didn't like the moffat era has the main man ;-)
  • Options
    Theresa May’s Brexit bill is likely to pass through the Commons without major amendment next week, as Conservative rebels are backing away from supporting changes proposed by Labour or other opposition parties.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/30/brexit-bill-to-pass-without-amendment-as-tory-rebels-back-off?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    If ManUTD have had their last 56 FA Cup games televised live what is the next longest run for any team having their FA Cup matches televised live ?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    The Palace was quite happy to host Obama and George W Bush in their first terms without complaint, it is for the PM not the Palace to choose who to invite
  • Options
    Makes you proud that Scotland is still a part of our country

Just 18 Incredibly Scottish Signs Telling Donald Trump He’s A Bawbag

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/yer-maw-was-an-immigrant?utm_term=.wlPEVyP1q1#.jlQRPNVj9j
  • Options

viewcode said:

I get the feeling you didn't like the moffat era has the main man ;-)
    It was good until it wasn't. It was OK - heck, it was good up until the point Rory and Amy left. But Moffat's tropes just kept mounting up, the lightness disappeared, Matt Smith - the most bouncy of people - had to play a mardy mare, then Capaldi got cast and Moffat just buggered up the characterisation totally and the viewing figures swandived. Damned waste of time and talent.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    The Palace was quite happy to host Obama and George W Bush in their first terms without complaint, it is for the PM not the Palace to choose who to invite
    Who says? Who has the real Royal Prerogative? I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the next meeting of the Queen and our Theresa.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Danny565 said:

Too many foreigners here, but my mate Musa is a sound bloke, and that Mo Farah stuffed the rest...makes you proud to be British! Most people who interact with Muslims on a daily basis can distinguish between ISIS and Ibrahim in accounts. It really isn't difficult!
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

Absolutely. 84 candles and everything. I know its pushing the boat out but WTF it's only once a year. And you know what they say...when a PB Tory is tired of a bit of intolerance, bigotry and casual racism he's tired of life itself.
    Save a slice for Ed Balls.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    On the bright side, they're gonna have no problems getting into Florida for their holidays...
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    Who says? Who has the real Royal Prerogative? I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the next meeting of the Queen and our Theresa.
    May has a majority in Parliament and we fought a civil war to determine that it was Parliament that was sovereign. I doubt the Queen is going to protest too much over this, Charles maybe though he might be advised to remember what happened to his ancestor who shared his name
  • Options

Makes you proud that Scotland is still a part of our country

Just 18 Incredibly Scottish Signs Telling Donald Trump He’s A Bawbag

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/yer-maw-was-an-immigrant?utm_term=.wlPEVyP1q1#.jlQRPNVj9j

It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete arseholes. It's a SHITE state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference!
  • Options
    Verhofstadt being ridiculously difficult on Newsnight and effectively demanding 50 billion euros to even get any form of deal, if Remoaners think their protests tonight against Trump are going to rush Brexit Britain back into the arms of him and Juncker they have another thing coming!
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

If she wants to be a constitutional monarch absolutely she will.

If she wants to be a politician she can stand for election and we can have an elected President instead.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

It is good to see EdM taking such a lead on this issue.

Perhaps he'll continue with this burst of energy and actually do some work for his constituents as well.

Or perhaps not.

So far 0.83% of his constituents have signed the e-petition.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Verhofstadt being ridiculously difficult on Newsnight and effectively demanding 50 billion euros to even get any form of deal, if Remoaners think their protests tonight against Trump are going to rush Brexit Britain back into the arms of him and Juncker they have another thing coming!

I thought Tessy's masterful use of Trump's patronage was putting the shits up the EU?

Oh right, that was this afternoon, an age ago.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    HYUFD said:

LOL! :smiley:
  • Options
    O/T

"1957 happiest year in Britain, according to researchers at University of Warwick"

http://www.itv.com/news/central/2017-01-24/1957-happiest-year-in-britain-according-to-researchers-at-university-of-warwick/
  • Options
    The PB Tories haven't fulminated quite enough for one day.

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/826139363457241094
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited January 2017

That caption is a bit harsh on old jug ears....he played for Barcelona and England..and a few small clubs in England ;-)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,776
    Clever of the Palace. The Queen can go through with the State Visit while humiliating both Trump and May.
  • Options

That caption is a bit harsh on old jug ears....he played for Barcelona and England..and a few small clubs in England ;-)
    I think that's the joke..
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882

Theresa May’s Brexit bill is likely to pass through the Commons without major amendment next week, as Conservative rebels are backing away from supporting changes proposed by Labour or other opposition parties.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/30/brexit-bill-to-pass-without-amendment-as-tory-rebels-back-off?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I'm not sure where that leaves Labour's 'we'll pass it through with amendments' stance.
  • Options

midwinter said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

A great idea:

The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune” or “well-being." The motif (a hooked cross) appears to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky. To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism. It is a common sight on temples or houses in India or Indonesia. Swastikas also have an ancient history in Europe, appearing on artifacts from pre-Christian European cultures.

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007453
  • Options
    "Matthew Goodwin ‏@GoodwinMJ 1h1 hour ago

Latest data (post May speech), Conservative Party extends lead on economy, immigration, Brexit, tax, law & order"

http://bit.ly/2jMCFDb
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059

(a) good
    (b) this actually shouldn't be a surprise; the vast majority of MPs, despite what we often allege on here, genuinely want the best for this country and respect the wishes of its citizens
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I thought Tessy's masterful use of Trump's patronage was putting the shits up the EU?

Oh right, that was this afternoon, an age ago.
    Tessy is prepared to stand up to the EU if required in the negotiations which will be long and difficult, unlike Dave who rolled over at the first hurdle because he wanted them to be short and easy!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

LOL! :smiley:
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Apols if already posted.

'Quebec City mosque attack suspect known for right-wing online posts

The suspect in the deadly attack on a Quebec City mosque was known in the city’s activist circles as a right-wing troll who frequently took anti-foreigner and anti-feminist positions and stood up for U.S. President Donald Trump.

Alexandre Bissonnette, 27, a student at Laval University who lived on a quiet crescent in the Cap-Rouge suburb of Quebec City, faces six counts of first-degree murder for a shooting that killed six people and wounded 19 others. Police initially arrested a person they considered a second suspect but they later backtracked, saying he was a witness.

Mr. Bissonnette’s online profile and school friendships revealed little interest in extremist politics until last March when French nationalist leader Marine Le Pen visited Quebec City and inspired Mr. Bissonnette to vocal extreme online activism, according to people who clashed with him.'

http://tinyurl.com/zqd3yqw
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    edited January 2017
    Seems the Quebec massacre wasn't the political game-changer it was this morning after all! Speculation on PB seems to have died off, and Trudeau is safe...for now!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

While I think you "PBers and right-wing media commentators" goes too far, you are fundamentally correct. The correlation between belief in the statements "immigration is too high" and "radical Islam is a serious problem" and the solution "ban all people with a tenuous link to a country" is probably only 0.2-0.3.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    dixiedean said:

Seems the Quebec massacre wasn't the political game-changer it was this morning after all! Speculation on PB seems to have died off, and Trudeau is safe...for now!

Trudeau has an even bigger poll lead than May
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    AndyJS said:

"Matthew Goodwin ‏@GoodwinMJ 1h1 hour ago

Latest data (post May speech), Conservative Party extends lead on economy, immigration, Brexit, tax, law & order"

http://bit.ly/2jMCFDb

But, but, but........Twitter!
  • Options

Apols if already posted.

'Quebec City mosque attack suspect known for right-wing online posts

The suspect in the deadly attack on a Quebec City mosque was known in the city’s activist circles as a right-wing troll who frequently took anti-foreigner and anti-feminist positions and stood up for U.S. President Donald Trump.

Alexandre Bissonnette, 27, a student at Laval University who lived on a quiet crescent in the Cap-Rouge suburb of Quebec City, faces six counts of first-degree murder for a shooting that killed six people and wounded 19 others. Police initially arrested a person they considered a second suspect but they later backtracked, saying he was a witness.

Mr. Bissonnette’s online profile and school friendships revealed little interest in extremist politics until last March when French nationalist leader Marine Le Pen visited Quebec City and inspired Mr. Bissonnette to vocal extreme online activism, according to people who clashed with him.'

http://tinyurl.com/zqd3yqw

Posted an hour ago, apology accepted
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He's being bad cop. When it turns out the bill is us taking responsibility for the pensions of British MEPs and the small number of British Eurocrats and no actual money changes hands, Mrs May will get to claim victory, as will Mr V, who will say "we made them pay to leave!"
This discussion has been closed.