Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s an argument for saying that REMAINers feel more strong

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Ouch ouch ouch

Brendan O'Neill doesn't think much of Obama's emotional therapy presidency.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/obama-is-not-your-magical-negro/19350#.WISO2X875Jw.twitter

Brendan needs to come out of the closet. His love for Trump is there for all to see.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

There was a discussion on here about Trident...
    Do we need a different system that is more independent of the US?

The level of military knowledge on here seems to a complete non-expert like me to be very high so interested to hear views.

(Assuming you accept the premise that Trump is not a friend of the UK)

The Galileo satellite navigation system is certainly looking like a good idea now.
    Trident D5 uses laser ring gyro INS and stellar navigation. It is specifically designed to work in a GPS denied environment so Galileo is irrelevant. When I was in the RN assignment to a Trident boat was something to be avoided and, if possible, bitterly contested so keeping the boats adequately and appropriately crewed is a far bigger issue than any technical matters.
    I wasn't thinking of Trident in particular, but independence from the US in general. With GPS now an integral component of so many applications, it surely makes good sense to have a European alternative.
    Galileo is an EU alternative not European so the Brexitards have fucked that.
    But the Euroloons kept telling us that the EU IS Europe. That they are one and the same.
    If things got really nasty, they could conceivably deny us access to the PRS, but the OS has no 'off' switch - there's neither authentication nor authorisation. However, if we got as far as that, we'd have (for all practical purposes), no more I&S cooperation from the UK IC. That's a very unlikely scenario.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    isam said:

"Organisers said: “The vast majority of our MPs support our membership of the European Union, but are being railroaded into a catastrophe by reckless and incompetent leadership."

Maybe the public should have been consulted?

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/824612860936552449

Oh look, a march, thats new and interesting...

sorry I meant dull and impotent.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Wow

Donald J Trump
    The U.S. has a 60 billion dollar trade deficit with Mexico. It has been a one-sided deal from the beginning of NAFTA with massive numbers...

of jobs and companies lost. If Mexico is unwilling to pay for the badly needed wall, then it would be better to cancel the upcoming meeting.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

But the Euroloons kept telling us that the EU IS Europe.

Link?
    https://www.uniteforeurope.org/
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

The level of military knowledge on here seems to a complete non-expert like me to be very high so interested to hear views.

The Galileo satellite navigation system is certainly looking like a good idea now.
    Trident D5 uses laser ring gyro INS and stellar navigation. It is specifically designed to work in a GPS denied environment so Galileo is irrelevant. When I was in the RN assignment to a Trident boat was something to be avoided and, if possible, bitterly contested so keeping the boats adequately and appropriately crewed is a far bigger issue than any technical matters.
    I wasn't thinking of Trident in particular, but independence from the US in general. With GPS now an integral component of so many applications, it surely makes good sense to have a European alternative.
    It's a passive service - if they don't want the UK to use it then they can either turn it off (which defeats the whole point of the exercise) or change the algorithm (and so render all existing receivers world-wide obsolete). There's no little checkbox in a database somewhere that says 'fuck the British (but only the British)'.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    PlatoSaid said:

Wow

Donald J Trump
    The U.S. has a 60 billion dollar trade deficit with Mexico. It has been a one-sided deal from the beginning of NAFTA with massive numbers...

of jobs and companies lost. If Mexico is unwilling to pay for the badly needed wall, then it would be better to cancel the upcoming meeting.

Theresa May will talk him round on the benefits of free trade...
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Ouch ouch ouch

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/obama-is-not-your-magical-negro/19350#.WISO2X875Jw.twitter

Brendan needs to come out of the closet. His love for Trump is there for all to see.
    Isn't Spiked part of that creepy little crypto-marxist accelerationist cabal that wants to push capitalism into overdrive and thus bring about the revolution?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    SeanT said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

Not sure "Brexitards" is gonna work. Doesn't have the immediate appeal and logic of "Remoaners".

Feels more forced, like "Lie-bour" and "Camoron", which happily died out. But good try.
    Shouldn't you be dispensing 20% factual drunken rodomontade in Soi Cowboy by now?
  • Options
    wasd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

It's a passive service - if they don't want the UK to use it then they can either turn it off (which defeats the whole point of the exercise) or change the algorithm (and so render all existing receivers world-wide obsolete). There's no little checkbox in a database somewhere that says 'fuck the British (but only the British)'.
    As I explained downthread (badly!) Galileo is two services in one shitty package. The open one is...just there. Anyone can use it. The PRS is the commercial service. They can deny us access to that.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Clive Lewis seems to have found the perfect wedge issue between himself and Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Will Lewis resign in time for 6 O Clock news coverage?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Clive Lewis seems to have found the perfect wedge issue between himself and Jeremy Corbyn.

He'll get the nominations, and get the votes when Corbyn loses the next GE.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Lets say Lewis resigns, challenges Corbyn and wins.

Is Labour really then going to become an 'anti-A50' party? Because that would be 'brave'.

Edit; And what would even be left of the Labour party in that situation?
  • Options
    John_M said:

wasd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

As I explained downthread (badly!) Galileo is two services in one shitty package. The open one is...just there. Anyone can use it. The PRS is the commercial service. They can deny us access to that.
    The commercial service is presumably chargeable?

• Options
    Assuming that is confirmed, it looks quite good news for the UK, in the sense that they seem to be moving the smallest possible number of people. I don't think they'd choose Dublin if they thought that, in the long term, they'd need a much bigger EU base.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

But the Euroloons kept telling us that the EU IS Europe.

Link?
    http://studentsforeurope.org/
    http://www.voteforeurope.org.uk/
    http://www.cambridgeforeurope.co.uk/
    http://www.environmentalistsforeurope.org/

And the march in London is the "Unite for Europe" March. Not the "Unite for the EU" March.

The list of the geographically challenged is seemingly endless.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Lets say Lewis resigns, challenges Corbyn and wins.

Is Labour really then going to become an 'anti-A50' party? Because that would be 'brave'.

Edit; And what would even be left of the Labour party in that situation?

No, they'd support but do normal opposition politics: Delay, amend, grandstand, try to find issue Tories would rebel on. It works because the voters expect the government to get things done, and don't expect the opposition to help them.
  • Options

John_M said:

wasd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

It's mainly aimed at blue light services. I'm not sure they're actually in a position to charge for it as yet, but as I say, it's not an area I actively track any longer. Retirement is turning me into a pudding :).
  • Options
  • Options

Perfect being the only issue where Corbyn is on the same side as the Great British public?

Perfect being the only issue where Corbyn is on the same side as the majority of voters in the majority of marginal English and Welsh constituencies?
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

wasd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

It's mainly aimed at blue light services. I'm not sure they're actually in a position to charge for it as yet, but as I say, it's not an area I actively track any longer. Retirement is turning me into a pudding :).
    Do you know if they have a plan for what they're going to do after the commercial service keys leak?
  • Options

Perfect being the only issue where Corbyn is on the same side as the Great British public?

Perfect being the only issue where Corbyn is on the same side as the majority of voters in the majority of marginal English and Welsh constituencies?
    You're not considering the right electorate.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Yes, because the relevant constituency is Labour Party members.
  • Options

On the right side of my betting accounts.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

Why is Labour tanking to close to 20% in the polls then?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    PlatoSaid said:

Ouch ouch ouch

"For those of us who cling to an old-fashioned view of politics as the affairs of state, as ‘the science of good sense applied to public affairs’, as 18th-century US congressman Fisher Ames described it, the past few weeks have been incredibly frustrating. Any attempt to analyse, seriously, the things that were done by the Obama administration — or, as some see it, the things that merely happened under Obama, their authorship unclear or obscured — meets with confusion or even hostility.

Obama, it has been made clear, is not to be judged by such earthly matters as industry or liberty or war and peace, but rather by how he made people feel; by what one author has described as ‘the profound shift in the American psyche’ he brought about. Obama’s impact is mental, not political; curative, not concrete. Even newspaper pieces on his legacy that include discussion of Obamacare and his decisions on the Middle East swiftly move back to the realm of character and emotion, to his grace and style and wisdom. His legacy is judged psychologically rather than politically.

"For those of us who cling to an old-fashioned view of politics as the affairs of state, as ‘the science of good sense applied to public affairs’, as 18th-century US congressman Fisher Ames described it, the past few weeks have been incredibly frustrating.

Had he stopped there, I'm pretty sure we'd all have been in agreement.
  • Options
    There is £942 wanting to back Chuka at 27.0 on Betfair !
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    wasd said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

wasd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

Do you know if they have a plan for what they're going to do after the commercial service keys leak?
    Qinetiq did a technology demo last year that did cloud based PRS authentication which would simplify things a good deal. In terms of compromise, any modern crypto-system has rekey capability, though I'm not sure whether it would be OTAR or physical fill.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    isam said:
    refreshingly honest, that's what we all want isn't it from our politicians? He should win by a landslide.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Why is Labour tanking to close to 20% in the polls then?
    Because of every other issue that Lewis doesn't use as a wedge!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

Yes, because the relevant constituency is Labour Party members.
    In a Corbyn v Lewis leadership election*, their positions on Brexit would not be a deciding factor in where I cast my vote.

*Not that I expect Lewis to challenge Corbyn, but if he loses the mantle of chosen successor among the Corbynites, he might be tempted if he can get enough support from the softer left of the party/PLP.
  • Options
    Mr Snell sounds quite fun.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Assuming that is confirmed, it looks quite good news for the UK, in the sense that they seem to be moving the smallest possible number of people. I don't think they'd choose Dublin if they thought that, in the long term, they'd need a much bigger EU base.

The UK banks will always be the ones who move the least. Its what the European, US and Asian banks do that is of most concern.
  • Options

I thought that was what was wrong with Corbyn!

What's the point in replacing Corbyn with someone even worse? Someone who is ok with everything about Corbyn except the one time he agrees with the public?
  • Options

Mr Snell sounds quite fun.

He may just have captured the zeitgeist. Brexiteers spreading his message could be shooting themselves in the foot. It certainly beats project fear.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Does the HQ decide how much corporation tax they pay ? Or does it even help ?
  • Options

I thought that was what was wrong with Corbyn!

What's the point in replacing Corbyn with someone even worse? Someone who is ok with everything about Corbyn except the one time he agrees with the public?
    An obvious advantage Lewis has over Corbyn/McDonnell is the 'Served Queen & country' card.
  • Options

Beth Rigby ‏@BethRigby 4 mins4 minutes ago

NEW: Cat Smith's office say she's staying on. "She has no intention of resigning and intents to vote with the whip" Awaiting Lewis & Stevens
    0 replies 2 retweets 0 likes

Reverse Ferret alert!
  • Options
    Williamz said:
    Just the start. 70,000 jobs to move out of London within a year according to this article of the referendum day result. None have moved yet and only 5 months left so we can expect a bloodbath soon. Ah, but Article 50 hasn't been triggered yet.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

PlatoSaid said:

Ouch ouch ouch

You would say that Dawning. The fact is that Brendan O'Neill's article is brilliant in it's gutting of Obama as a piece of fluff.
  • Options

Williamz said:
    Just the start. 70,000 jobs to move out of London within a year according to this article of the referendum day result. None have moved yet and only 5 months left so we can expect a bloodbath soon. Ah, but Article 50 hasn't been triggered yet.
    The facts are that Dublin is short of office and residential accomodation. It is a small city.
  • Options

NEW: Cat Smith's office say she's staying on. "She has no intention of resigning and intents to vote with the whip" Awaiting Lewis & Stevens

Reverse Ferret alert!

Who is "Stevens", can't see them listed in the Betfair next Labour leader list.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    As long as the Yellows lead, it seems we will be in for all manner of Charts. ;)
  • Options
    NewsTaker said:

Williamz said:
    The facts are that Dublin is short of office and residential accomodation. It is a small city.
    The likes of Barclays have deep enough pockets to invest in building their own stuff though don't they ?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

PlatoSaid said:

Wow

Donald J Trump

Theresa May will talk him round on the benefits of free trade...
    I thought for a split second that you meant that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited January 2017
    The Labour candidate in Stoke has deleted all tweets pre July 2016... he was on twitter in 2014 though. Wonder what he said in the lead up to the ref...

https://twitter.com/gareth_snell/status/443476279527215104
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:
    refreshingly honest, that's what we all want isn't it from our politicians? He should win by a landslide.
    MPs should always speak their mind and do it honestly. That should start when they campaign as well. That way when they are elected or rejected it has been done on an informed basis. The ones we should scorn are those who will say anything to get elected then act as if their constituents views don't matter.
  • Options
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited January 2017
    "You’re probably seeing the best persuasion you will ever see from a new president. Instead of dribbling out one headline at a time, so the vultures and critics can focus their fire, Trump has flooded the playing field.

You don’t know where to aim your outrage. He’s creating so many opportunities for disagreement that it’s mentally exhausting. Literally. He’s wearing down the critics, replacing their specific complaints with entire encyclopedias of complaints. And when Trump has created a hundred reasons to complain, do you know what impression will be left with the public?

He sure got a lot done.

Even if you don’t like it...

In only a few days, Trump has made us question what-the-hell every other president was doing during their first weeks in office. Were they even trying? "

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/156399716951/outrage-dilution
  • Options
    On topic, I basically disagree with OGH. The above chart is best explained through Maslow's hierarchy of needs. C2DEs are more likely to have more immediately important things to worry about.

The Lib Dems are courting Remainers hard. It's unsurprising that, the Lib Dems having gone for that USP, has meant that Lib Dem supporters are disproportionately far more likely to name the EU and Brexit. They are also far fewer in number than other party supporters (MORI might usefully help us appreciate this by adjusting the width of each bar to reflect the volume of party support). So ardent Leavers are likely to be equally numerous.

The only surprising bar is the UKIP bar.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ouch ouch ouch

"For those of us who cling to an old-fashioned view of politics as the affairs of state, as ‘the science of good sense applied to public affairs’, as 18th-century US congressman Fisher Ames described it, the past few weeks have been incredibly frustrating. Any attempt to analyse, seriously, the things that were done by the Obama administration — or, as some see it, the things that merely happened under Obama, their authorship unclear or obscured — meets with confusion or even hostility.

Obama, it has been made clear, is not to be judged by such earthly matters as industry or liberty or war and peace, but rather by how he made people feel; by what one author has described as ‘the profound shift in the American psyche’ he brought about. Obama’s impact is mental, not political; curative, not concrete. Even newspaper pieces on his legacy that include discussion of Obamacare and his decisions on the Middle East swiftly move back to the realm of character and emotion, to his grace and style and wisdom. His legacy is judged psychologically rather than politically.

"For those of us who cling to an old-fashioned view of politics as the affairs of state, as ‘the science of good sense applied to public affairs’, as 18th-century US congressman Fisher Ames described it, the past few weeks have been incredibly frustrating.

Actually I think he is right in his analysis of Obama's impact but very wrong to dismiss it. Surely above all else the impact of the President should be mental. It should be to cause a shift in the psyche of the country or to reinforce what is already there. It is for Congress to make and pass laws but the President is far more than that. He is the representative and guiding light of the mood of the country.

I do of course say this as someone who is rather fond of Obama and rather unfond of Trump so that must colour my views but I think the underlying principle is right and O'Neill in this case (though I generally like his writing and his views) is wrong.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 2017
    " MarqueeMark said:

Roger, an underwhelming set of OSCAR nominations.

Hacksaw Ridge is a stunningly good war film - or film, period. If La La Land weren't being lauded like Ben Hur, it might stand a chance. And I far preferred Andrew Garfield's performance in it to that of the much-touted Casey Affleck in Manchester by the Sea.

Amy Adams getting overlooked for Best Actress in Arrival was a shock. I suppose somebody had to lose out so Meryl could get her 20th....

Very gratified though to see Hidden Figures getting a Best Picture Nom. Entirely deserved. The film I most ENJOYED out of the whole awards crop."

MM

I'm just catching up. I saw Manchester by the Sea which I thought was pretty good though too depressing to win anything but I did think Casey Affleck was good. I also saw 'Jackie' which I liked a lot and if NP doesn't win best actress I'd be very surprised. A compulsive performance as was the film. Very well directed too for such a small tale and not like a biopic at all which I generally don't like. Next to see is Lalaland this afternoon then Hidden Figures which I'm looking forward to and Hacksaw Ridge less so.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Reverse Ferret alert!

Who is "Stevens", can't see them listed in the Betfair next Labour leader list.
    Jo Stevens Shadow Welsh Sec.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Ouch ouch ouch

He is also fails to understand that Obama was the US's head of state, just as Trump is. It's a role that is more than political.

• Options
    Roger said:

" MarqueeMark said:

Hacksaw Ridge is a stunningly good war film - or film, period. If La La Land weren't being lauded like Ben Hur, it might stand a chance. And I far preferred Andrew Garfield's performance in it to that of the much-touted Casey Affleck in Manchester by the Sea.

Amy Adams getting overlooked for Best Actress in Arrival was a shock. I suppose somebody had to lose out so Meryl could get her 20th....

Very gratified though to see Hidden Figures getting a Best Picture Nom. Entirely deserved. The film I most ENJOYED out of the whole awards crop."

MM

I'm just catching up. I saw Manchester by the Sea which I thought was pretty good though too depressing to win anything but I did think Casey Affleck was good. I also saw 'Jackie' which I liked a lot and if NP doesn't win best actress I'd be very surprised. A compulsive performance as was the film. Very well directed too for such a small tale and not like a biopic at all which I generally don't like. Next to see is Lalaland this afternoon then Hidden Figures which I'm looking forward to and Hacksaw Ridge less so.

I do agree with MM that Amy Adam's performance in Arrival was stunningly good. It is the central overwhelming performance around which the whole film revolves.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

NewsTaker said:

Williamz said:
    The likes of Barclays have deep enough pockets to invest in building their own stuff though don't they ?
    Not something that happens in months.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ouch ouch ouch

Actually I think he is right in his analysis of Obama's impact but very wrong to dismiss it. Surely above all else the impact of the President should be mental. It should be to cause a shift in the psyche of the country or to reinforce what is already there. It is for Congress to make and pass laws but the President is far more than that. He is the representative and guiding light of the mood of the country.

I do of course say this as someone who is rather fond of Obama and rather unfond of Trump so that must colour my views but I think the underlying principle is right and O'Neill in this case (though I generally like his writing and his views) is wrong.
    Agreed - but beyond that, criticising Obama by way of ‘the science of good sense applied to public affairs’ as a standard is pretty amazing from a Trump supporter.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    NewsTaker said:

Pulpstar said:

NewsTaker said:

Williamz said:
    Not something that happens in months.
    They will have assessed it's NPV positive.
  • Options

On topic, I basically disagree with OGH. The above chart is best explained through Maslow's hierarchy of needs. C2DEs are more likely to have more immediately important things to worry about.

The Lib Dems are courting Remainers hard. It's unsurprising that, the Lib Dems having gone for that USP, has meant that Lib Dem supporters are disproportionately far more likely to name the EU and Brexit. They are also far fewer in number than other party supporters (MORI might usefully help us appreciate this by adjusting the width of each bar to reflect the volume of party support). So ardent Leavers are likely to be equally numerous.

Good idea to have the width of the bar in proportion to the size of the relevant population. (except perhaps the ALL bar would be too wide.)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

TOPPING said:

NewsTaker said:

RobD said:

Ah, is today another 'Despite Brexit' day? :D

This will last for year after year until the next cyclical recession happens and then Brexit gets the blame from the dwindling band of Remain folk.
    And the EU gets the blame from the Leavers.
    In fairness, Robert, Max and Casino have all said that the next recession will be a Brexit-induced recession; I share that view. It's not all kittens and rainbows, despite what some of my Panglossian fellow travellers might think.
    Personally I thought we'd be in recession already, and facing a property slump.

I voted LEAVE with my eyes open, knowing that if we won, the first years would be hard, and I would take a whack on my main asset, my London flat.

I voted for my DAUGHTER and for the COUNTRY, not for me. Remain would probably be better for me, financially.

Yep, a small minority of us are in the fortunate position of not having to worry either way financially about Brexit.

Almost all countries and trading blocs are protectionist - and will continue to be so. The Single Market is where we send over 40% of our exports. That may change over time, but it will not do so rapidly. them.

Yet the world.

In 20 years the EU's share of global trade has dropped from 30% to 24% and it will continue to shrink.

I'm afraid the economic illiteracy is to believe that we will get anything close to resembling the Single Market in any deal that we negotiate with any country from here-on-in. I do think that is important to have a strong home market for goods and services, and to go from there. Quite why you don't is beyond me.

The idea that we will suddenly stop trading with the EU because we have left is just plain dumb. What matters is to be able to build on that with the rest of the world which is aleady a far more important market for us. Something that is currently restricted by our membership of the EU.

Of course we will continue to trade with the EU; but even if we agree a deal that involves no tariffs, leaving the Single Market and Customs Union will still make it more expensive and time-consuming than it is currently. I just do not see how that helps us.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

"You’re probably seeing the best persuasion you will ever see from a new president. Instead of dribbling out one headline at a time, so the vultures and critics can focus their fire, Trump has flooded the playing field.

You don’t know where to aim your outrage. He’s creating so many opportunities for disagreement that it’s mentally exhausting. Literally. He’s wearing down the critics, replacing their specific complaints with entire encyclopedias of complaints. And when Trump has created a hundred reasons to complain, do you know what impression will be left with the public?

He sure got a lot done.

In only a few days, Trump has made us question what-the-hell every other president was doing during their first weeks in office. Were they even trying? "

Shorter Adams: it doesn't matter what sh*t you hurl around, so long as there's plenty of it.

Persuasive indeed.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 2017
    Charles said:

FPT @SeanT

SeanT said:

Funnily enough, I am actually in Paris for a week or so in March, where my French publishers are launching the new S K Tremayne, La Menace, and they want me to do publicity, signings etc. Le Doute (the Ice Twins) was a big hit over there.

https://www.amazon.fr/S-K-Tremayne/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:S.K. Tremayne

i think they're putting me up in the George V or something ridiculous. I'll let you know if I get any perspective from my suite.

Don't go there. Go to the Plaza Athenee (or Le Meurice). Georges Cinq is pretentious and caters to Middle Eastern taste. Plaza has the most hookers per square foot of any hotel in the West ;)
    For once we agree though there are more delicate ways of putting it. The last time I was there they herded us all together in their vast breakfast room and my table was next to someone who had just arrived back from an evening out and eating breakfast with the smell of her pungent perfume was beyond me and when I asked to be moved I was told the rest of the dining room was closed. Not very classy really. For that sort of hotel I prefer the Bristol.
  • Options

Of course we will continue to trade with the EU; but even if we agree a deal that involves no tariffs, leaving the Single Market and Customs Union will still make it more expensive and time-consuming than it is currently. I just do not see how that helps us.

It helps us because it removes the barriers that the EU has imposed on creating trade deals with the rest of the world. This is why I prefer the EEA position. It gives us membership of the Single Market but puts us outside the Customs Union. That means we are still able to trade freely with the EU but can also make or own trade deals.

Of course that only works if you are one of the minority of people who has no issue with immigration. So since that does not appear to be an option the next best thing is to leave the Customs Union and the Single Market so we can make our own trade deals unencumbered by the EU.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    Concerns raised over Commonwealth leadership

The government has drafted in senior officials to support the Commonwealth amid concerns over the way it is being run, the BBC has learned.
    The Department for International Development (DfID) said last month the secretariat in London was "under performing" and needed "urgent reform".
    Senior diplomatic and political sources - speaking to the BBC off the record - have accused the secretary-general, Lady Scotland, of "poor leadership".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38760133

How did this dreadful criminal get the gig in the first place?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ouch ouch ouch

He is also fails to understand that Obama was the US's head of state, just as Trump is. It's a role that is more than political.

Genuine question, if it could be shown that Brexit was economically positive for the UK (say, in terms of growth) but shifted the country to the Right (made Tory governments more likely) would you support Brexit?

I suspect, from your constant eeyore-ishness, that you object to Brexit because the EU cements a social democratic consensus in the UK, and Brexit endangers that and risks a rightward shift in the UK. All the stuff about trade you bang on about (however valid) is secondary.

If it helps, I'll go first. One big reason I voted Brexit is in the hope it would move Britain permanently to the right, lifting the dead weight of European social democratic wankery from our heads, at a time, technologically, when nations and economies will have to be as nimble and ruthless as possible.
    Have you seen this?

The reason Labour became such fans of the EU, and the reason Mrs T decided she hated it, was because it was a way of "hardwiring" Socialism into the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY_BgnZdwko
  • Options

It helps us because it removes the barriers that the EU has imposed on creating trade deals with the rest of the world. This is why I prefer the EEA position. It gives us membership of the Single Market but puts us outside the Customs Union. That means we are still able to trade freely with the EU but can also make or own trade deals.

Of course that only works if you are one of the minority of people who has no issue with immigration. So since that does not appear to be an option the next best thing is to leave the Customs Union and the Single Market so we can make our own trade deals unencumbered by the EU.

The trade deals we are going to get with the rest of the world will not make up for what we lose by leaving the Single Market. As I said on the last thread, there are many reasons to leave the EU, but improving our trading position is not one of them.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

The UKIP bar isn't quite as surprising when you see in the tables the EU issue has been overtaken largely by immigation. Also small number statistics as this is MORI, they always get significantly fewer UKIP voters and weight accordingly. They have 25 weighted UKIP to 55 weighted Lib Dems...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ouch ouch ouch

Genuine question, if it could be shown that Brexit was economically positive for the UK (say, in terms of growth) but shifted the country to the Right (made Tory governments more likely) would you support Brexit?

I suspect, from your constant eeyore-ishness, that you object to Brexit because the EU cements a social democratic consensus in the UK, and Brexit endangers that and risks a rightward shift in the UK. All the stuff about trade you bang on about (however valid) is secondary.

If it helps, I'll go first. One big reason I voted Brexit is in the hope it would move Britain permanently to the right, lifting the dead weight of European social democratic wankery from our heads, at a time, technologically, when nations and economies will have to be as nimble and ruthless as possible.

I do not see the EU as social democratic in any shape, way or form. [ADDED] It is not social democratic to do what was done to the southern European countries. I am not actually bothered about leaving the institution. I have spent enough time in Brussels to know how introspective and sclerotic it is. What bothers me is us giving up our membership of the single market. I do not want to see further public spending cuts and greater job insecurity in the UK than we have now. I am most opposed to it because I think it will end up harming the very people who were told by the rich people who led the Leave campaign that they would benefit from our departure.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    edited January 2017

The trade deals we are going to get with the rest of the world will not make up for what we lose by leaving the Single Market. As I said on the last thread, there are many reasons to leave the EU, but improving our trading position is not one of them.
    Of course you claim we are going to lose hugely by leaving the single market but that is simply your rather biased view and has no basis in fact. You have no idea how much we will lose by leaving the single market and there is no hard and fast rule that says trade has to decrease or by how much. Nor do you know how much our trade will increase with the rest of the world.

So the idea that we must lose out is basically unfounded.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Roger said:

" MarqueeMark said:

MM

Agree on "Jackie" - her performance WAS the film. Must be a strong favourite unless the Academy go completely bonkers over La La Land. Which has to be a possibility, it being set in LA and all...

Hacksaw RIdge has a very strong potential appeal to the liberal left - a true story of a conscientious objector, the hell he has to go through in training and his extraordinary war - being capped off by receiving the highest gallantry medal in the US. The sort of story that might well appeal to those who really dislike Trump - and I'm thinking that is maybe 85% of Academy voters. (Set against that, I guess many would not want to see Mel Gibson to prosper as director - so the value there is on Andrew Garfield who is well gong-worthy). BTW make sure you stay to the very end of Hacksaw Ridge (which is a bit of an endurance, because arguably its only fault is it feels a good 15 minutes too long).
  • Options

Of course you claim we are going to lose hugely by leaving the single market but that is simply your rather biased view and has no basis in fact. You have no idea how much we will lose by leaving the single market and there is no hard and fast rule that says trade has to decrease or by how much. Nor do you know how much our trdae will increase with the rest of the world.

Yes, it is my view. Just as your view is that I am an economic illiterate ;-)

• Options

Concerns raised over Commonwealth leadership

The government has drafted in senior officials to support the Commonwealth amid concerns over the way it is being run, the BBC has learned.
    The Department for International Development (DfID) said last month the secretariat in London was "under performing" and needed "urgent reform".
    Senior diplomatic and political sources - speaking to the BBC off the record - have accused the secretary-general, Lady Scotland, of "poor leadership".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38760133

How did this dreadful criminal get the gig in the first place?

Living in London and having the right mates.
  • Options
    isam said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ouch ouch ouch

Have you seen this?

The reason Labour became such fans of the EU, and the reason Mrs T decided she hated it, was because it was a way of "hardwiring" Socialism into the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY_BgnZdwko
    The fundamental tenet of socialism is state ownership. How does the EU do anything to advance that? Presumably Hitchens is redefining the term to mean something like 'permissiveness' or 'secularism'.
  • Options

Of course you claim we are going to lose hugely by leaving the single market but that is simply your rather biased view and has no basis in fact. You have no idea how much we will lose by leaving the single market and there is no hard and fast rule that says trade has to decrease or by how much. Nor do you know how much our trdae will increase with the rest of the world.

Yes, it is my view. Just as your view is that I am an economic illiterate ;-)

I feel that answer needs no response as it is as comprehensive and accurate as I could hope. :-)
  • Options
    isam said:

Any argument predicated on the belief that the Labour party is right about anything has a rather glaring flaw.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, I forget if it were Zhuge Liang or Liu Ji who warned against selecting jobs for people, rather than people for jobs, but it's very good advice.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    PlatoSaid said:

He sure got a lot done.

If he continues to insist on saying things that people can see aren't true he will end up being a laughing stock - not just with those people who oppose him, but with middle America. I can't see him enjoying that.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    SeanT said:

Is this Corbyn's last mainstream media supporter, recanting?

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/824616302010658816

There must be some danger, for Tories, that he will be toppled.

Indeed. I find it hard to believe that the average armchair Corbynista who joined the Labour party for £3 to vote for him and has never been to a single meeting, but did share a Facebook link once, will support him at third time of asking.

Should the Tories force a GE on some EU pretext? Must be tempting.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Mr. Pulpstar, I forget if it were Zhuge Liang or Liu Ji who warned against selecting jobs for people, rather than people for jobs, but it's very good advice.

So we should be suspicious of any "AV editor" position that OGH may create for the site? :D
  • Options
    Mr. D, indeed. It is contrary to ancient Chinese wisdom.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ouch ouch ouch

Genuine Brexit?

I is secondary.

If it possible.

I do from our departure.

Fair enough. And thanks for answering.

We shall see. I am 95% sure that the poor will be better off, in the long term. But there will be short term pain for all.

Yes I am able to bear it more than most, but there's not much I can do about that. I cast my solitary and single vote, quite sincerely, for what I think is the best outcome, for my nation and its people.

I know you did. And I did too. I doubt anyone cast their vote maliciously (except, maybe, some Leave-voting SNP supporters). I would like to be wrong on this. I like the idea of a strong Britain - confident, united and prosperous at home - striding the world, slapping down its dark blue passport, doing deals and taking a much greater share of global trade. I am not an instinctive citizen of Europe or a sharer of sovereignty and despite the arguments on here I do understand the very genuine concerns there are around immigration and I accept absolutely that a lot of people have felt totally excluded from the national discourse for a very long time. What I can't see, though, is how we get to where we all want to be from here. I do fear a race to the bottom as the only way I can see us being able to compete seriously with the big single market on our doorstep is to have a much lower tax base and reduced protections for working people. I also worry that we are going to mess up a lot of our competitive advantages in the university sector, in technology and in pharma. I worry a lot. Always have done.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If Corbyn loses Moonbat then he must be in trouble.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    SeanT said:

It will have to be the left who topple him. Clive Lewis? He can't do any worse.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited January 2017

What I can't see, though, is how we get to where we all want to be from here.

That is an interesting angle.

The dreamers, writers of fiction for a living, (Boris, Gove, SeanT) buy into the vision with no regard for the practicality

The makers and doers are not against the principle, but understand the mechanics, and the problems that will thus arise (and the political consequences)
  • Options

SeanT said:

Indeed. I find it hard to believe that the average armchair Corbynista who joined the Labour party for £3 to vote for him and has never been to a single meeting, but did share a Facebook link once, will support him at third time of asking.

I thought it would be 2018. But it may be this year. Another straw in the wind is that John McDonnell seems to have fallen out with Jon Lansman. It is Lansman who personally controls the Momentum database and bank account, of course.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,706

Roger said:

" MarqueeMark said:

MM

Agree on "Jackie" - her performance WAS the film. Must be a strong favourite unless the Academy go completely bonkers over La La Land. Which has to be a possibility, it being set in LA and all...

Hacksaw RIdge has a very strong potential appeal to the liberal left - a true story of a conscientious objector, the hell he has to go through in training and his extraordinary war - being capped off by receiving the highest gallantry medal in the US. The sort of story that might well appeal to those who really dislike Trump - and I'm thinking that is maybe 85% of Academy voters. (Set against that, I guess many would not want to see Mel Gibson to prosper as director - so the value there is on Andrew Garfield who is well gong-worthy). BTW make sure you stay to the very end of Hacksaw Ridge (which is a bit of an endurance, because arguably its only fault is it feels a good 15 minutes too long).
    I read up on Hacksaw Ridge after I saw the film - contrary to most Hollywood fare they actually toned down rather than exaggerated the heroics....which makes the true life story even more remarkable.
  • Options
    Vicki Young ‏@BBCVickiYoung 3 mins3 minutes ago

Labour MP Daniel Zeichner says for others to decide whether he should lose his job for defying Jeremy Corbyn and voting against #Article50

Telling Corbyn to sack him bascially.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Tragic that you retweeted it.

I didn't retweet it.
    I just knew you were going to say that!
    .. and, to paraphrase Paul Daniels, "That's tragic" !
    Is dear Scott still struggling with the concept of words having different meanings in different contexts?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @EllieJPrice: Lab MP tells me: Lab whips ringing Lab MPs telling them to vote for art50 while also telling them they themselves intend to vote against it.
  • Options
    Have Sinn Fein said anything more about whether they'll take their seats to vote against A50?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Have Sinn Fein said anything more about whether they'll take their seats to vote against A50?

http://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/sinn-fin-refuses-to-send-its-four-mps-to-westminster-in-attempt-to-block-article-50-35396180.html
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,706
    Best Prime Minister (vs early Jan)
    May: 47 (+2)
    Corbyn: 15 (-2)

What was also striking is that as well as leading Labour in London (+20), South (+33), Midlands (+8), the Tories are nearly level pegging with Labour in the North (-2).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I agree. The Tories should - if possible (FTPA and all) - find a reason for a GE. There is now a serious risk Corbyn will be unseated.
    I've heard this record before...
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    SO to follow up on Scot P's comment on your post

What I can't see, though, is how we get to where we all want to be from here.

It reminds me of the very old joke

How do I get to xxxx?
    I wouldn't start from here
    :grin:

Wish we the people had had more input to the seemingly unstoppable drive to greater integration with the EU, perhaps we wouldn't be here now if we'd had
This discussion has been closed.