Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The verdict on the Corbyn relaunch: Jeremy must try harder

Comments

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    HYUFD said:

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/the_problem_with_the_english_england_doesn_t_want_to_be_just_another_member_of_a_team_1_4851882

Europhobia was shown by the referendum to be a specifically English psychosis, the narcissistic outcome of a specifically English crisis of identity.

Wales also voted Leave
    "The pattern of voting showed up a colossal divergence between England, with its Welsh appendage, on the one hand, and Scotland and Northern Ireland on the other."

The author sounds a nice chap.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited January 2017
    isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

People such as yourselves are supply and demand deniers, so I doubt anything can change your minds, but what is the point of cheap Labour if it doesn't bring down the cost of Labour?

Channeling my inner metropolitan, and setting condescension to 'stunning', it's not so much cheap labour as it is better quality employees.

The garages and shops in these parts are full of pleasant, well-educated, hard-working East Europeans. The local school leavers can't compete. It reduces training costs, provides better customer service, and there is apparently an infinite supply of people of that ilk.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

People such as yourselves are supply and demand deniers, so I doubt anything can change your minds, but what is the point of cheap Labour if it doesn't bring down the cost of Labour?

Sam read the research. We can have a good discussion about it afterwards. It might not make you feel as good as some cartoon men but it is interesting nevertheless.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited January 2017
    isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

We've done this before. It brings down the cost of labour for that particular task. What it does to the job prospects of a human being, who is capable of more than one task, is a more complicated question that can't be answered with "Doh, supply and demand".

But since you didn't answer my original question, can I take that to mean that you have no new information on whether the rise in part-time work is related to immigration, and that's just a conclusion you jumped to?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,198

Inflation up from 1.2% to 1.6%

Approaching target. I'd suggest it's time for an interest rate rise.
  • Options

Inflation up 33% in a month again.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

MTimT said:

Was the income cap idea "reaching out beyond his devoted following"?

Maybe it attracted a couple of Greens to the fold. Went down like a cup of cold sick with 90% of the population though.
    No, it didn't - polling shows majority approval for it. The gap beteen highest and lowest earners in some companies is hard to justify, however, keen one is on the free market: there is an element of the bodies that dtermine executive pay scratching each others' backs. And as refined in his later statements (that Government contracts will be limited to companies with a declared corporate earnings disparity less than 100:1) it's also feasible, and has the support of the Financial Times among others.

I do agree with Don that a convincing economic narrative is crucial, though, and oppositions getting a hearing at all is non-trivial unless theGovernment is spectacularly screwing up.

Corbyn wasn't mentioned in the question about the wages cap. He was in the one about the NHS. And there's Labour's problem in a nutshell.

Today Theresa May will announce the Billionaire's Brexit. One that will deliver lower public spending, more cuts to corporation tax, reduced employment rights, lower environmental standards, slower wages growth, higher prices and shorter retirements. It is a goal so open that only the most chaotically incompetent leader of the opposition could fail to hit the back of the net. Let's see how your man does.

No, the richest voters voted Remain, May is simply not backing down on the border controls most Leave voters want

And those who don't work voted Leave.

you seem to resent the benefit of wisdom that comes with age
    Maybe he's getting one without the other?
    He's certainly getting the 'grumpy old man' bit - in spades over the last few days constructed by hatred of Tories combined with despair at Corbyn's Labour party and a bowl of trumphobia!
  • Options
    Essexit said:

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/the_problem_with_the_english_england_doesn_t_want_to_be_just_another_member_of_a_team_1_4851882

Europhobia was shown by the referendum to be a specifically English psychosis, the narcissistic outcome of a specifically English crisis of identity.

"The referendum vote does not deserve to be respected because, as an outgrowth of English narcissism, it is itself disrespectful of others, of our allies, partners, neighbours, friends, and, in many cases, even relatives. Like resentful ruffians uprooting the new trees in the park and trashing the new play area, 17 million English, the lager louts of Europe, voted for Brexit in an act of geopolitical vandalism."

This article really is peak Remoan.
    Lol - I'd be ashamed to post such rubbish.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

So why on Earth did we cut interest rates as the pound was falling?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,984
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

Sam read the research. We can have a good discussion about it afterwards. It might not make you feel as good as some cartoon men but it is interesting nevertheless.
    The saddest thing about your posts is that you must believe your patronising tone is effective.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Pound soaring against the dollar.

Brexit or something.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Scott_P said:

@GuardianAnushka: Interestingly Ann Linde - Swedish foreign minister- said after meeting David Davis was clear that now "inevitable" UK out of single market

@GuardianAnushka: But also warning on customs union- saying Swedish inquiry found 2000 businesses cited Norway as most difficult county to trade with

There is a reason Norway doesn't have a big car industry...

No roads??
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126
    Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave
    "The pattern of voting showed up a colossal divergence between England, with its Welsh appendage, on the one hand, and Scotland and Northern Ireland on the other."

WG did not notice that
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    isam said:

The 'great employment figures' / 'mass immigration of cheap labour doesn't affect the lowest paid' lie exposed

https://twitter.com/bbcbreakfast/status/819801675116388354

I'm all for keeping illustrators in work but how does it relate to your point?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

I can't say I find his amateur psychoanalysis very persuasive.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Just think how bad it would be if there wasn't so much duty on petrol/diesel. ;)
  • Options
    See pound is rising after inflation figures - anticipation of interest rate rise maybe
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Part of this is down to oil price rises which the fall in the £ has added to. Equally to be fair we're still not at target level for inflation.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

So why on Earth did we cut interest rates as the pound was falling?
    That's Mark Carney for you
  • Options

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

We've done this before. It brings down the cost of labour for that particular task. What it does to the job prospects of a human being, who is capable of more than one task, is a more complicated question that can't be answered with "Doh, supply and demand".

But since you didn't answer my original question, can I take that to mean that you have no new information on whether the rise in part-time work is related to immigration, and that's just a conclusion you jumped to?
    I have been saying for years on here that the mass import of cheap Labour leads to lower wages and less job security. People try to deny it by pointing out the number of people "Employed", this latest data show the lowest paid are now 4 times more likely to be in part time work than 20 years ago. The leader of the Remain campaign warned big business that leaving the EU would push up wages.

I really doubt that the lowest paid men in society are giving up hours to look after the baby either.

Maybe you are right and its all just coincidence
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    John_M said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

Channeling my inner metropolitan, and setting condescension to 'stunning', it's not so much cheap labour as it is better quality employees.

The garages and shops in these parts are full of pleasant, well-educated, hard-working East Europeans. The local school leavers can't compete. It reduces training costs, provides better customer service, and there is apparently an infinite supply of people of that ilk.
    Yeah fuck the British poor, if they moan we can call them racist or sumfink

If only there were a way they could show their displeasure.. a vote maybe?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

The saddest thing about your posts is that you must believe your patronising tone is effective.
    Don't be sad. You linked to a 15-second cartoon that said something about part-time working. I linked to a paper by the NIESR (which in turn referenced other papers) about the effect of immigration on wages.

You presumably linked to your cartoon to support your point; I linked to the research to support mine.

What's patronising about that?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited January 2017
    tlg86 said:

Just think how bad it would be if there wasn't so much duty on petrol/diesel. ;)
    Tell me about.

I've had to downsize, ditched the 4.2 litre beast for a more modest 3 litre vehicle.

Brexit inflation is hitting me hard.

I'll think Caroline Lucas will love me for that.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    TGOHF said:

Brexit or something.

I think you need to compare it to the Yen and the Euro, because the dollar is tanking this morning on Donald Trump's comments that the US Dollar is overvalued.

On that measure, Sterling is up 0.2% against the Euro, and down 0.1% against the Yen.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    TGOHF said:

Brexit or something.

To the heady heights of 1.22 :)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Is there a word for signalling to Brexiteers you share their yearning for a return of the Empire?

@MrHarryCole: Great spot by @isaby: "it's not a metric 10-point plan, but a rather more imperial-sounding 12-point plan."
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_P said:
    Part of this is down to oil price rises which the fall in the £ has added to. Equally to be fair we're still not at target level for inflation.
    Far too reasonable. THE SKY IS FALLING OMG SOMEBODY HOLD ME, would be more appropriate at this time of national crisis.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Is there a word for signalling to Brexiteers you share their yearning for a return of the Empire?

@MrHarryCole: Great spot by @isaby: "it's not a metric 10-point plan, but a rather more imperial-sounding 12-point plan."

I insist on paying for everything in guineas. That's how you can tell a true Empire loyalist.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    isam said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

I have been saying for years on here that the mass import of cheap Labour leads to lower wages and less job security. People try to deny it by pointing out the number of people "Employed", this latest data show the lowest paid are now 4 times more likely to be in part time work than 20 years ago. The leader of the Remain campaign warned big business that leaving the EU would push up wages.

I really doubt that the lowest paid men in society are giving up hours to look after the baby either.

Sam read the fucking research. Here's an extract from one expert (Manacorda et al):

"Immigration to the UK, particularly among more educated workers, has risen appreciably over the past 30 years and as such has raised labor supply. However studies of the impact of immigration have failed to find any significant effect on the wages of native-born workers in the UK. This is potentially puzzling since there is evidence that changes in the supply of educated natives have had significant effects on their wages. Using a pooled time series of British cross-sectional micro data on male wages and employment from the mid-1970s to the mid-2000s, this paper offers one possible resolution to this puzzle, namely that in the UK natives and foreign born workers are imperfect substitutes. We show that immigration has primarily reduced the wages of immigrants—and in particular of university educated immigrants—with little discernable effect on the wages of the native-born."

It's not a slam dunk either way but really, these people have been thinking about this for a lot longer (or perhaps just as long) as you have been intuiting away.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Scott_P said:

:lol:
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    isam said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

"I really doubt that the lowest paid men in society are giving up hours to look after the baby either."

I know several working-class men (in ex-mining areas as well, for extra points) who have done exactly that.

Childcare is expensive. The person who earns more continues to work, and the one who doesn't looks after the child. Or they both work part-time and split shifts.

I'm all for it. Looking after a kid is fun, and why should women get all the fun. :)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

Unsurprising, he works in the MML faculty: http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk/professor-nicholas-boyle

But he has 'a degree', which qualifies him to pontificate on the mental state of Europe's lager louts, the English. In fact it has just granted him the ability to talk out of his arse with zero self-awareness.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Completely through the looking glass.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Nick Boles:

Some have argued that the referendum did no more than mandate an exit from full membership of the European Union and does not require exit from the Single Market or the customs union or the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice. As a technical matter of law, this is clearly right. But as a matter of political strategy, I believe that it would be a huge error for liberal Conservatives to go down this road....

If we try to fight for continued membership of the Single Market – and the obligations that entails – we will be picking ground that is impossible to defend for two reasons. Partly because the leaders of both the Remain and the Leave campaigns argued consistently that a vote to leave the EU would take us out of the Single Market. But mainly because the motives of Leave voters, while not on the ballot paper and having no legal force, are well understood and politically inescapable. They voted to take back control of our laws and our immigration policy and membership of the Single Market would make that impossible.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2017/01/nick-boles-liberal-conservatives-must-abandon-fantasies-about-staying-in-the-single-market.html
  • Options
    Topping EiT. Sorry I'm repeating your posts. I hadn't reached them when I posted. Too distracted by ISAM's cartoon and not up to speed in this post truth culture. It's a new thing for advertisers.
  • Options

the leaders of both the Remain and the Leave campaigns argued consistently that a vote to leave the EU would take us out of the Single Market.

Ummm....

https://twitter.com/edwardineurope/status/821128582504337408
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

Don't be sad. You linked to a 15-second cartoon that said something about part-time working. I linked to a paper by the NIESR (which in turn referenced other papers) about the effect of immigration on wages.

You presumably linked to your cartoon to support your point; I linked to the research to support mine.

Your whole tone is always vey patronising. I put it down to losing the ref and needing to feel superior.

Calling it a cartoon to undermine the point is one example. The NIESR research is something I have linked to in the past to prove my point, and I used it because it is Jonathan Portes is a very pro EU person and I didn't want to seem as though I only used the views of people on my side.

A good thing in debate, Topping, is to use sources that don't always agree with you.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

"I really doubt that the lowest paid men in society are giving up hours to look after the baby either."

I know several working-class men (in ex-mining areas as well, for extra points) who have done exactly that.

Childcare is expensive. The person who earns more continues to work, and the one who doesn't looks after the child. Or they both work part-time and split shifts.

I'm all for it. Looking after a kid is fun, and why should women get all the fun. :)
    I know loads of people who have lost hours/wages because of EU immigration but didnt want to have to resort to anecdote
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

Your whole tone is always vey patronising. I put it down to losing the ref and needing to feel superior.

Calling it a cartoon to undermine the point is one example. The NIESR research is something I have linked to in the past to prove my point, and I used it because it is Jonathan Portes is a very pro EU person and I didn't want to seem as though I only used the views of people on my side.

A good thing in debate, Topping, is to use sources that don't always agree with you.
    Can you link to the IFS research which underpins the cartoon (what else is it?). I will have a read.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

Unsurprising, he works in the MML faculty: http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk/professor-nicholas-boyle

But he has 'a degree', which qualifies him to pontificate on the mental state of Europe's lager louts, the English. In fact it has just granted him the ability to talk out of his arse with zero self-awareness.
    In fairness, the New European has its finger on the pulse of the typical British family:

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/culture/michelin_restaurants_in_britain_how_will_brexit_impact_uk_fine_dining_1_4839214
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Fortnums for the main shop. Topped up by lidl.

I now declare Jonathan as a spoof liberal elite leftie. In the real world surely no-one does there main shop at Fortnums with a top up at Lidl
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

Sam read the fucking research. Here's an extract from one expert (Manacorda et al):

"Immigration to the UK, particularly among more educated workers, has risen appreciably over the past 30 years and as such has raised labor supply. However studies of the impact of immigration have failed to find any significant effect on the wages of native-born workers in the UK. This is potentially puzzling since there is evidence that changes in the supply of educated natives have had significant effects on their wages. Using a pooled time series of British cross-sectional micro data on male wages and employment from the mid-1970s to the mid-2000s, this paper offers one possible resolution to this puzzle, namely that in the UK natives and foreign born workers are imperfect substitutes. We show that immigration has primarily reduced the wages of immigrants—and in particular of university educated immigrants—with little discernable effect on the wages of the native-born."

It's not a slam dunk either way but really, these people have been thinking about this for a lot longer (or perhaps just as long) as you have been intuiting away.
    As I just said to Topping, I have read the fucking research, in fact I linked to it to prove my point in my original debate with you. This was because I did not want to be seen to be using sources that agreed with me to make my point. NIESR is a pro EU organisation, and they say the lowest paid are marginally worse off. I could use migration watch and they would say they are a lot worse off.

Stewart Rose admitted that wages would rise if we left the EU.. that is why he was never seen again. Lowest paid men are 4 times as likely to be in part time work than in 1997. Maybe its all just coincidence, maybe they are all house husbands...
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

Have they ever been to Wales and tried telling them they're really just part of England !!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

the leaders of both the Remain and the Leave campaigns argued consistently that a vote to leave the EU would take us out of the Single Market.

Ummm....

https://twitter.com/edwardineurope/status/821128582504337408
    Hannan was on the Committee but was not a Leader of Vote Leave.....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

In fairness, the New European has its finger on the pulse of the typical British family:

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/culture/michelin_restaurants_in_britain_how_will_brexit_impact_uk_fine_dining_1_4839214
    LOL

some of them may have to pay their staff the minimum wage - quelle horreur
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

Fen-Poly - what do you expect?
  • Options

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

Have they ever been to Wales and tried telling them they're really just part of England !!
    I imagine his experience of the UK amounts to Oxford, Cambridge, and Heathrow.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

Jesus H.

Lets just leave.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

“I think our kitchens could get by, but front of house will really suffer – especially high-end. If I’m honest, I’m really f*****g scared I won’t get the staff. English people just don’t wait tables”.

More England-bashing! Jeez.

Edit: also LOL at the article generally. At least they know who their readers are though.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

Can you link to the IFS research which underpins the cartoon (what else is it?). I will have a read.
    I am sure you have the ability to do this yourself, but anyway

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jan/13/low-paid-men-in-uk-four-times-more-likely-to-be-working-part-time-than-in-1990s

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/8849
  • Options

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

Oi! I went to that Fen-Poly! And you'll incur TSE's wrath now.
  • Options
    From 'All Out War'.

This slow unravelling was infuriating to Dominic Cummings, who had decreed from the beginning that Vote Leave should never be pinned down to one trade model, because no two Eurosceptics could agree on the issue, and the public did not understand it.

He had told Vote Leave staff: ‘No one knows what the single market is. The MPs don’t know what the single market is! No one knows! No one will know what it is by the end of this campaign. Period.’

It's worth noting that Stronger In were jubilant on the 8th May when Gove was clear that Brexit meant no Single Market, and Osborne immediately put the boot in. I think that moment was lost in the brouhaha that followed, but the information was out there.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jan/13/low-paid-men-in-uk-four-times-more-likely-to-be-working-part-time-than-in-1990s
    Didn't we cover this when debating Miliband vs Osborne on the coalition's jobs miracle?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

“I think our kitchens could get by, but front of house will really suffer – especially high-end. If I’m honest, I’m really f*****g scared I won’t get the staff. English people just don’t wait tables”.

Edit: also LOL at the article generally. At least they know who their readers are though.
    "Choose a restaurant at random in any UK city"

Mention of cities:

London 7
    Others 0
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

You are forgiven, but TSE labours under the delusion that its the best university in the world while any fule no that its Cowley Tec - just ask the Prime Minister, or her predecessor, or the one before the one before that.....
  • Options
    @BBCDomC: BREAKING: Jack Straw to be sued over allegations of MI6's role in rendition to Libya in 2004 - Supreme Court ruling.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

Thanks - I tried to find it via BBC Breakfast and the IFS webpage but couldn't. I'll get back to you!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

Thanks - I tried to find it via BBC Breakfast and the IFS webpage but couldn't. I'll get back to you!
    Edit: interesting premise on the summary - income inequality has fallen, but I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Scott_P said:

@BBCDomC: BREAKING: Jack Straw to be sued over allegations of MI6's role in rendition to Libya in 2004 - Supreme Court ruling.

Bloody hell, that's a biggie!
  • Options
    So now that it is confirmed that we are leaving the customs union, that means a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic?

I'm in favour of a hard border, given people from that island have caused more terrorism on the mainland than anyone else.

Gawd, I'm becoming more pro Brexit by the minute.
  • Options

So now that it is confirmed that we are leaving the customs union, that means a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic?

I'm in favour of a hard border, given people from that island have caused more terrorism on the mainland than anyone else.

The Common Travel Area dates back 80 odd years, and we didn't have a customs union with Ireland for much of that time.
  • Options

I think the CTA was in place before the EU
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Jonathan said:

Fortnums for the main shop. Topped up by lidl.

I now declare Jonathan as a spoof liberal elite leftie. In the real world surely no-one does there main shop at Fortnums with a top up at Lidl
    There was a nice story about a Rabbi who was helping his daughter with her philosophy homework when he got a text from his wife who was out shopping "What do you want from life?".

An interesting question he thought so they discussed it at some length. Some time later his wife returned and asked why he hadn't replied to her text?. 'It was far too complicated a subject to reply to in a text.' he said.

"What do you want from LIDL?"
  • Options

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

You are forgiven, but TSE labours under the delusion that its the best university in the world while any fule no that its Cowley Tec - just ask the Prime Minister, or her predecessor, or the one before the one before that.....
    The Complete University Guide 2017’s rankings have been topped by Cambridge and the Other Place.

https://www.thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2016/04/25/cambridge-university-rankings-74558/amp
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

The servant problem rears its head again.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The Common Travel Area dates back 80 odd years, and we didn't have a customs union with Ireland for much of that time.
    Does the Republic's membership of the EU preclude the CTA being restarted ?
  • Options

Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

The Complete University Guide 2017’s rankings have been topped by Cambridge and the Other Place.

https://www.thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2016/04/25/cambridge-university-rankings-74558/amp
    Ack my uni has slipped to 12th :(
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

Wales also voted Leave

Appendage. Hmm, still better than being a European member I guess.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

1923. We suspended it during the war and reinstated it in '52.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: David Davis statement on 'A New Partnership with the EU' due around 2pm in Commons. First chance for MPs to question May speech/plan
  • Options
    John_M said:

Blue_rog said:

Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that. Between 1939 and 1952 we implemented passport checks on people going between Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom, but we retained the open border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It was suspended for about 14 years around the Second World War...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:
    What do we think the lag time would be... for most things it would be ~ 6 months no? Also that's "all materials" compared to imports, if it too is up 15%
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I vaguely recall an idea being floated of keeping a more limited CTA, i.e. Ireland only, with the hard border being at mainland ports/airports.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

Edit: interesting premise on the summary - income inequality has fallen, but I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing.
    Tax credits I believe
  • Options
    Treasury Questions is taking place at the same time as Theresa May's speech.

Poor Phil Hammond's going to have a difficult time if Sterling falls big time.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    What do we think the lag time would be... for most things it would be ~ 6 months no? Also that's "all materials" compared to imports, if it too is up 15%
    There will be a surge in inflation mid-year as currency hedges unwind.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The CTA hasn't been stopped - it's still in place.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Blue_rog said:

Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that. Between 1939 and 1952 we implemented passport checks on people going between Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom, but we retained the open border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.
    And without that being explicit because the DUP will go nuts if it is, is that not the basis for some sort of accommodation with the Republic on FOM to keep the border "open" whilst de facto regulating the 97.5% of the UK for immigration purposes, which is not NI?.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Ah.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,914
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

Do either of those links talk about immigration?
    If they did I must have missed it...?
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: Hearing a number of MPs tabling urgent questions on May's EU plan
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

rcs1000 said:

In theory yes. In practice passports are checked at the main Irish airports and equally I've had my passport checked flying into the UK. Given that we don't have ID cards, there's an assumption that people will be carrying passports.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @isam

"It is also clear from the figure that it was not simply an effect of the recession: it has been a consistent trend over the past 20 years."

"However, inequality in their net income – that is, after direct taxes have been paid and state benefits received – did not rise. This was partly the result of deliberate policy decisions, and in particular the large expansion of tax credits in the late 1990s and 2000s, which boosted the income of low-income working households. "

"This is largely because weekly earnings inequality among men rose: partly because hourly wages grew faster towards the top than at the middle and bottom of the distribution."

So a paper talking about household income inequality explains that the proportion of working men of the lowest income bracket who are doing part time work (and those without children, thus expelling the childcare issue) has increased.

But it says nowhere why. I control F-ed "immigration" and results came there none.

So it seems to be down to you to intuit that the trend (over the past 20 years) is because of immigration.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It was suspended for about 14 years around the Second World War...
    Not within Ireland - only between the islands of Ireland and Great Britain. Didn't apply to the Channel Islands 1941-45 obvs.....
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

I wish people would stop being disingenuous. iSam is making a fairly straightforward point. You can agree or disagree, or you can accept it up to a point.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    The question, to me, is whether a tight labour market and rising inflation figures feeds through into wage pressure, which then feeds through into prices.

If it does not, then inflation is likely to top out at c. 2.5%.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

I wish people would stop being disingenuous. iSam is making a fairly straightforward point. You can agree or disagree, or you can accept it up to a point.
    But his point is that immigration has suppressed wages at the lower end. This paper says absolutely nothing about the role of immigration in wage inequality (its subject) or why more lower skilled men are working part time (a 20 year trend).
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: David Davis will make a statement to Commons but some MPs trying to force PM to go instead -anger simmering that parliament being 'excluded'

*cough*Sovereignty*cough*
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Scott_P said:
    The question, to me, is whether a tight labour market and rising inflation figures feeds through into wage pressure, which then feeds through into prices.

If it does not, then inflation is likely to top out at c. 2.5%.
    I do lol at people (Twitter is endlessly entertaining) working themselves up into a frenzy about our upcoming bout of hyperinflation :).

Then I remember my vow to be more charitable; there's a good chunk of the adult populace who have no experience of anything but low interest rates coupled with low inflation.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Blue_rog said:

And without that being explicit because the DUP will go nuts if it is, is that not the basis for some sort of accommodation with the Republic on FOM to keep the border "open" whilst de facto regulating the 97.5% of the UK for immigration purposes, which is not NI?.
    It's a very interesting compromise. But as you say, separating Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK in this way would... err... not go down well with certain communities.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,522
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Hearing a number of MPs tabling urgent questions on May's EU plan

Not that I want to encourage you, but this speech will set the cat amongst the pigeons.

The interesting question, now, is how will the Brexit bill pass through parliament, and with what amendments.

Lib Dems/SNP will all vote "no", a few others from NI parties, but the big question is how Labour splits: against, for, and abstentions.

(Incidentally, I expect it to pass anyway because 300 Tories, 10 Labour Leavers and DUP/Carswell will vote for it)
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,914

rkrkrk said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@edmundintokyo @TOPPING

I'm not being disingenuous... I thought he might have linked to the wrong study or I might have missed something in my skim read.

I was expecting to read something linking immigration to lower wages!
  • Options

(Incidentally, I expect it to pass anyway because 300 Tories will vote for it)

The ones who stood on this manifesto?

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/821305607370276866
This discussion has been closed.