Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Want to bet on footage of that golden shower appearing on a po

Comments

• Options

Scott_P said:

A hard Brexit with deep cuts to immigration would force Britons into longer working lives in order to maintain a sustainable ratio of workers and pensioners, according to modelling conducted for the Guardian.

Rises in the state pension age are already anticipated as a result of increased life expectancy and large numbers of baby boomers retiring. But further delays to pension payments will be necessary if current levels of immigration, which sustains the country’s old age dependency ratio, are not maintained, the Oxford university work indicates.

“The message from Brexit is: if you don’t want immigrants, you’re going to have to work longer,” said Prof Sarah Harper, director of the Oxford Institute of Population Ageing and chair of the UK government’s Foresight Review on Ageing Societies. “That’s how the sums work.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/15/hard-brexit-means-retiring-later-britons-warned

That can hardly be controversial. We can add longer working lives to less job security and fewer public services. But that's what people voted for.

Oh FFS make your minds up

one minute were all going to be replaced by robots bar the two people will work and earn gazillions

next minute we;re all dying because no-one will look after us

maybe well just get more efficient and we'll move people to where the work is.

We do that already. It's called London.

which you left

Business is based there. I imagine most of the people we have were born outside London. I am the only shareholder who was born there.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,489
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:
    As a percentage of population, Ireland is first, and Singapore second.

Does anyone other than me think that is a bit strange, what with Singapore being one of the richest countries in the world on any measure.
    What is strange/entertaining is that the NHS appears (to a first approximation) not to use foreign staff.
  • Options

FPT:
    I had to log off but nobody disproved my contention that for living standards, Eastern Europe (perhaps I should better have said Central Europe, because I mean Czech, Hungary, East Germany, Poland etc) are the best comparators for regions north of the Watford Gap.

GDP per capita is not right, you need PPP if you are comparing living standards. Also, removing Prague from Czech is cheating.

On a different note, this looks like good viewing for a wet Sunday afternoon: Brexit economics debate at the American Economics Association, featuring both pro and anti Brexiters.

https://www.aeaweb.org/webcasts/2017/brexit.php

If you want to keep Prague within the Czech GDP stats then you have to include the proportion of London GDP which relates to north of the Watford Gap.

Now if you want to see some evidence about comparative living standards then go to a supermarket in Lincolnshire or South Yorkshire and you will hear the languages of Eastern Europe.

Now do you think the supermarkets of Eastern Europe have an equivalent level of British customers ?

If you want to compare PPP levels then you'll probably find that large amounts of Northern England are richer than London on account of much lower living costs.
    No, because London skews the whole picture. As someone pointed out, it's the richest part of Europe. But it does bugger all for living standards in, say, Hartlepool.

And as for Polish people in Lincolnshire, they are there for the jobs, opportunity, and the opportunity to remit valuable ££.
    London skews the picture in the UK just as Prague, Bratislava, Riga etc skew it in the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Latvia etc.

You have to compare like with like.

Capital city to capital city
    Old industrial area to old industrial area
    University town to university town
    Agricultural area to agricultural area
    Run down seaside to run down seaside

As to standards of living in the English Midlands and North its my experience that people living north of the Watford Gap have a higher standard of living than their equivalents to the south because of the much lower cost of living.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23234033
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Scott_P said:

A hard Brexit with deep cuts to immigration would force Britons into longer working lives in order to maintain a sustainable ratio of workers and pensioners, according to modelling conducted for the Guardian.

Rises in the state pension age are already anticipated as a result of increased life expectancy and large numbers of baby boomers retiring. But further delays to pension payments will be necessary if current levels of immigration, which sustains the country’s old age dependency ratio, are not maintained, the Oxford university work indicates.

“The message from Brexit is: if you don’t want immigrants, you’re going to have to work longer,” said Prof Sarah Harper, director of the Oxford Institute of Population Ageing and chair of the UK government’s Foresight Review on Ageing Societies. “That’s how the sums work.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/15/hard-brexit-means-retiring-later-britons-warned

That can hardly be controversial. We can add longer working lives to less job security and fewer public services. But that's what people voted for.

one minute were all going to be replaced by robots bar the two people will work and earn gazillions

which you left

Business is based there. I imagine most of the people we have were born outside London. I am the only shareholder who was born there.

youre a foreigner in your own country
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

Does anyone else think that if there were a video of Trump in a room with hookers, we'd have seen it by now? The Democrats (and some Republicans) spent millions trying to find stuff on him, and all they dug up was some off-guard laddish audio from more than a decade ago - and a lot of unsubstantiated gossip.

I thought liberals wanted prostitution legalised? What's he done wrong?

I was surprised to learn that, bar a handful of counties, it's illegal to buy or sell sex in the USA.
    Doesn't that depend on how they define sex ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    Scott_P said:
    Gove suicide bombed himself to the backbenches, May had nothing to do with it ;)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Because immigrants don't use public services or get old and everyone on the Empire Windrush went back to the West Indies after they stopped working.

Of course if you think its good to run the economy as a human Ponzi scheme its a view I suppose.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

Does anyone else think that if there were a video of Trump in a room with hookers, we'd have seen it by now? The Democrats (and some Republicans) spent millions trying to find stuff on him, and all they dug up was some off-guard laddish audio from more than a decade ago - and a lot of unsubstantiated gossip.

I was surprised to learn that, bar a handful of counties, it's illegal to buy or sell sex in the USA.
    Which makes life awkward if you take your girlfriend/ boyfriend out to a posh restaurant, or send them flowers, with high hopes.

Just an inconvenient truth.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

I thought marriage was about the purchase or sale of sex, and prostitution was about its rental.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Does anyone other than me think that is a bit strange, what with Singapore being one of the richest countries in the world on any measure.
    What is strange/entertaining is that the NHS appears (to a first approximation) not to use foreign staff.
    It certainly doesn't look dependent on foreign staff, and appears to be broadly in line with the UK resident population. Is it possible that that particular canard isn't actually true?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

which you left

youre a foreigner in your own country

Nah - we're a motley bunch of Mancunians, Yorkies, Ulstermen, Geordies and Southern Jessies. Just one foreigner: from Dublin.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Many have worked here long enough to get a British passport and declare as British.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    Scott_P said:
    Didn't realise Gove was back writing for the Times, guess that's what happens when you get hidden behind an online paywall.

If Mrs May has any sense, Gove should be back on the front benches in short order, he's served his penance and would be valuable either as part of the Brexit team or reforming a ministry that needs a good kicking.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    Didn't realise Gove was back writing for the Times, guess that's what happens when you get hidden behind an online paywall.

If Mrs May has any sense, Gove should be back on the front benches in short order, he's served his penance and would be valuable either as part of the Brexit team or reforming a ministry that needs a good kicking.
    We have had enough of experts.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Because immigrants don't use public services or get old and everyone on the Empire Windrush went back to the West Indies after they stopped working.

Of course if you think its good to run the economy as a human Ponzi scheme its a view I suppose.

We have full employment and an ageing population. When we cut immigration - especially for young EU citizens who would only have come for a few years and tend not to use public services as much as Brits - it will mean those who remain having to work longer until they can retire. It's hardly brain surgery.

• Options

FPT:
    I had to log off but nobody disproved my contention that for living standards, Eastern Europe (perhaps I should better have said Central Europe, because I mean Czech, Hungary, East Germany, Poland etc) are the best comparators for regions north of the Watford Gap.

GDP per capita is not right, you need PPP if you are comparing living standards. Also, removing Prague from Czech is cheating.

On a different note, this looks like good viewing for a wet Sunday afternoon: Brexit economics debate at the American Economics Association, featuring both pro and anti Brexiters.

If you want to keep Prague within the Czech GDP stats then you have to include the proportion of London GDP which relates to north of the Watford Gap.

Now if you want to see some evidence about comparative living standards then go to a supermarket in Lincolnshire or South Yorkshire and you will hear the languages of Eastern Europe.

Now do you think the supermarkets of Eastern Europe have an equivalent level of British customers ?

If you want to compare PPP levels then you'll probably find that large amounts of Northern England are richer than London on account of much lower living costs.
    No, because London skews the whole picture. As someone pointed out, it's the richest part of Europe. But it does bugger all for living standards in, say, Hartlepool.

And as for Polish people in Lincolnshire, they are there for the jobs, opportunity, and the opportunity to remit valuable ££.
    London skews the picture in the UK just as Prague, Bratislava, Riga etc skew it in the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Latvia etc.

As to standards of living in the English Midlands and North its my experience that people living north of the Watford Gap have a higher standard of living than their equivalents to the south because of the much lower cost of living.

And fiscal transfers from London and the SE.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,489
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

I thought marriage was about the purchase or sale of sex, and prostitution was about its rental.
    I immediately thought of this -

"May I offer you, in addition, a little advice? Bear in mind that the amateur professional is peculiarly rapacious. This applies both to women and to people who play cards. If you must back horses, back them at a reasonable price and both ways. And, if you insist on blowing out your brains, do it in some place where you will not cause mess and inconvenience."
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

I immediately thought of this -

"May I offer you, in addition, a little advice? Bear in mind that the amateur professional is peculiarly rapacious. This applies both to women and to people who play cards. If you must back horses, back them at a reasonable price and both ways. And, if you insist on blowing out your brains, do it in some place where you will not cause mess and inconvenience."
    I love Dorothy L Sayers. One of my all time favourite writers.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited January 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

I don'think just "in a room with hookers" really cuts it; look at what we know for certain about JFK's and Bill Clinton's sex lives while in office. It would have to be footage of him in action doing something pretty hardcore. Also bear in mind that the POTUS is rather well placed to have pretty much anyone in the world quietly killed. If I had the evidence, I might decide to keep very, very quiet about it.
    I think there must be a whole heap of shit floating around about Trump.....porn, fiddles, hookers, racism, Trump just being a general, twatish c*nt...... but what is the point of publishing or coming forward? The USA heard the worst and look what's happening the 20th Jan.

Pope Francis....now that would be a story
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Judging by the most recent PISA results, Gove's time at Education has so far had absolutely no impact on school standards.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Gove's on big bucks from uncle Rupert.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    tyson said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

I don'think just "in a room with hookers" really cuts it; look at what we know for certain about JFK's and Bill Clinton's sex lives while in office. It would have to be footage of him in action doing something pretty hardcore. Also bear in mind that the POTUS is rather well placed to have pretty much anyone in the world quietly killed. If I had the evidence, I might decide to keep very, very quiet about it.
    I think there must be a whole heap of shit floating around about Trump.....porn, fiddles, hookers, racism, Trump just being a general, twatish c*nt...... but what is the point of publishing or coming forward? The USA heard the worst and look what's happening the 20th Jan.

The seediest stuff that I have read about Trump is his model agency, and the connection with Casablancas.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

We have full employment and an ageing population. When we cut immigration - especially for young EU citizens who would only have come for a few years and tend not to use public services as much as Brits - it will mean those who remain having to work longer until they can retire. It's hardly brain surgery.

We have high employment because the government has pumped over a trillion quid of borrowed money into the economy during the last decade. Not to mention the near trillion quid of household borrowing which was pumped into the economy in the decade before that.

Its easy to create lots of jobs in shops, restaurants, hotels and the like when you do that.

And the previous generations of immigrants didn't use much public services for the first few years. Then they got older.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Judging by the most recent PISA results, Gove's time at Education has so far had absolutely no impact on school standards.

As you well know a) it takes significant time for changes to show up & b) Cameron moved him before lots of stuff got changed since when got dropped.

Then Osborne got involved with his every school an academy stuff.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Many have worked here long enough to get a British passport and declare as British.
    Who therefore won't be in the slightest affected by the results of the A50 negotiations.

Another Project Fear lie is exposed.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

tyson said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

I think there must be a whole heap of shit floating around about Trump.....porn, fiddles, hookers, racism, Trump just being a general, twatish cunt...... but what is the point of publishing or coming forward? The USA heard the worst and look what's happening the 20th Jan.

The seediest stuff that I have read about Trump is his model agency, and the connection with Casablancas.
    I believe he'll be moving into the Casablanca shortly. But is there more than one?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited January 2017

Scott_P said:

We have high employment because the government has pumped over a trillion quid of borrowed money into the economy during the last decade. Not to mention the near trillion quid of household borrowing which was pumped into the economy in the decade before that.

Its easy to create lots of jobs in shops, restaurants, hotels and the like when you do that.

And the previous generations of immigrants didn't use much public services for the first few years. Then they got older.

We have had high employment for longer than 10 years. And EU immigration in the 21st century is not the same as immigration from the Caribbean in the 1950s and 1960s. But whichever way you look at it we have an ageing population, the vast majority of which is made up of people born in the UK. To support them, we need people of working age. If we cannot bring people in, those that are here already must work longer to do it and have less retirement time themselves.

• Options

FPT:

And fiscal transfers from London and the SE.

Indeed.

I genuinely am grateful to those people working all hours in the City before going back to the rabbit hutches they rent or those people struggling to work on Southern Rail and who pay 50% more than me for a pint.

Its a noble sacrifice for a good cause. Namely to allow me to have a higher quality of life than I would otherwise have.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,749

Which is one reason I think Hammond's "threat", if that's what it is, to turn Britain into low tax powerhouse is a last resort. We might like our taxes to be lower but we like our welfare more. In any case it won't be ordinary people and companies that would see the low taxation but those with political connections.

FWIW, I think Hammond was pleading, not threatening, although the difference between the two is subtle in practice: EU, don't back us into a corner where we might do something we all regret

• Options

tyson said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

I think there must be a whole heap of shit floating around about Trump.....porn, fiddles, hookers, racism, Trump just being a general, twatish cunt...... but what is the point of publishing or coming forward? The USA heard the worst and look what's happening the 20th Jan.

I've been too see the Giotto Croce in the Santa Maria Novella recently in Firenze (a number of times on my weekly trips into the town centre)...it is the most remarkable piece of art I have ever seen....

Combined with my utter adoration for Pope Francis.....I find the draw of Catholicism quite powerful during these times.........

Trump is just profoundly dark and horrible.............. But there are still beautiful things in the world that uplift you.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    edited January 2017
    tyson said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

Only if he was conducting himself like a Borgia Pope.

If it was beforehand then he would be emulating Francis of Assisi.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,369
    FF43 said:

Which is one reason I think Hammond's "threat", if that's what it is, to turn Britain into low tax powerhouse is a last resort. We might like our taxes to be lower but we like our welfare more. In any case it won't be ordinary people and companies that would see the low taxation but those with political connections.

FWIW, I think Hammond was pleading, not threatening, although the difference between the two is subtle in practice: EU, don't back us into a corner where we might do something we all regret

It's going to hurt me more than it hurts you...

I still think announcing a low tax regime will galvanise Lab
  • Options
    geoffw said:

tyson said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

I believe he'll be moving into the Casablanca shortly. But is there more than one?
    John Casablancas of New York. Trump placed his daughter Ivanka in his agency.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Who therefore won't be in the slightest affected by the results of the A50 negotiations.

The claim that properly medical trained EU individuals wouldnt get works permits whatever brexit we ended up with was always nonsense.

Far more likely to be affected is the Sports Directs of this world if we end up with a rock hard brexit.

• Options

tyson said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

I love Francis of Assissi......perhaps the most divinely perfect human being that ever existed...I read his stories to make me feel a little hope for the future....

• Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

I've been too see the Giotto Croce in the Santa Maria Novella recently in Firenze (a number of times on my weekly trips into the town centre)...it is the most remarkable piece of art I have ever seen....

Combined with my utter adoration for Pope Francis.....I find the draw of Catholicism quite powerful during these times.........

Trump is just profoundly dark and horrible.............. But there are still beautiful things in the world that uplift you.
    I come from a Calvinist tradition, so not a fan. Pope Francis is a step up from recent Popes. The first one from outside Europe.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I the guardian report on the Oxford on later retirement is total nonsense. If no migration for 5 years then....disaster.

Even a rock hard brexit wouldn't mean no migration & even Nigel Farages of this world don't want zero migration they just want ability of the state to be able to choose who & for how long.

The media / academics are embarrassing themselves with nonsense stuff. Modelling the problem with zero migration is what you expect from Oxford poly not Oxford uni, but then we also having Oxford physists making fools of themselves over claims of hate crimes by politicians making speeches.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Except that turnover means that constant recruitment is needed.

I did undergraduate medical admission interviews recently, including a number born abroad, but now British, amongst them a Swedish born Somali speaker, a Libyan a South African and a Pole,
  • Options

I the guardian report on the Oxford on later retirement is total nonsense. If no migration for 5 years then....disaster.

Even a rock hard brexit wouldn't mean no migration & even Nigel Farages of this world don't want zero migration they just want ability of the state to be able to choose who & for how long.

The media / academics are embarrassing themselves with nonsense stuff. Modelling the problem with zero migration is what you expect from Oxford poly not Oxford uni, but then we also having Oxford physists making fools of themselves over claims of hate crimes by politicians making speeches.

This is where the Brexiteers are likely to come unstuck, when immigration doesn't shift downwards noticeably at all. People will then wonder what all the hassle was about.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017
    I had to laugh when I saw that Gove interviewed Trump before May's even met him. This government's attitude towards the upcoming Trump administration is like a dog following its owner and it seems so far it's not paying off for them.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Taking of nonsense by the media....I am no fan of hunt, but he is getting stick from sky for making money on a company he set up 20 years ago & has had no active role for over 10 ie absolutely no wrong doing, everything by the book, no scandal.

Jeremy Hunt to get £15m payout from Hotcourses sale amid NHS crisis
    http://news.sky.com/story/hunt-to-get-16315m-payout-from-hotcourses-sale-amid-nhs-crisis-10730426
  • Options

This is where the Brexiteers are likely to come unstuck, when immigration doesn't shift downwards noticeably at all. People will then wonder what all the hassle was about.
    My forecast is rather different: we will have negative net migration in the next five years.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

I had to laugh when I saw that Gove interviewed Trump before May's even met him. This government's attitude towards the upcoming Trump administration is like a dog following its owner and it seems so far it's not paying off for them.

Yes, May saying Trump's comments on women were completely unacceptable was first class sycophancy. Can't think why he hasn't popped over for a chat.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

As you well know a) it takes significant time for changes to show up & b) Cameron moved him before lots of stuff got changed since when got dropped.

Then Osborne got involved with his every school an academy stuff.
    Well, if PISA tests are taken at 15, then those being tested will have started secondary school four years beforehand, so you'd hope to see something by now.

I want to like Michael Gove. His heart seemed to be in the right place. But it is difficult to see how his reform programme would ever have led to his desired results, even if he'd not started by gratuitously making enemies of those who started on his side, including teachers and parents. He also failed to notice a places crisis developing under his nose. To put it bluntly, he is not very good at politics.
  • Options

'Cos you got Gove
    Gove
    Gove on your side
    'Cos you got Gove
    Gove
    Gove on your side
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,749
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

My forecast is rather different: we will have negative net migration in the next five years.
    I have changed my view on this. I assumed before the vote that Brexit wouldn't change immigration levels. I now realise governments can significantly reduce immigration simply by being unpleasant to would be migrants
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    edited January 2017

Isn't it normal to wait for the President to actually be in office before meeting them?
  • Options

The government target is net immigration of 100,000 a year. That is a sugnificant reduction on the current number. Also worth remembering the quid pro quo of immigration controls on EU citizens is reduced emigration from the UK. That means more elderly people living here than currently, of course.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

tyson said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

I'd rather admire a Pope like Alexander VI.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Yes, May saying Trump's comments on women were completely unacceptable was first class sycophancy. Can't think why he hasn't popped over for a chat.
    Kellyanne Conway has said Trump's comments on 'women were unacceptable', and she was his campaign manager and will be a senior adviser in the White House.

So I don't see quite what May saying it proves.
  • Options

We have had high employment for longer than 10 years. And EU immigration in the 21st century is not the same as immigration from the Caribbean in the 1950s and 1960s. But whichever way you look at it we have an ageing population, the vast majority of which is made up of people born in the UK. To support them, we need people of working age. If we cannot bring people in, those that are here already must work longer to do it and have less retirement time themselves.

We had a rather severe unemployment problem only a few years ago and when the next recession arrives we'll have plenty of unemployed again then.

We were also told that immigration from Eastern Europe wouldn't bring any demands on schooling. And then it did.

The bottom line is we all need to create as least as much wealth as we consume during our lives. Simply adding more people doesn't change that. On the contrary if the extra people are low skilled or if by simply being here they have a negative effect on productivity all they're doing is creating a human Ponzi scheme.

• Options

I suspect a lot of people on work visas will not be labelled immigrants post-Brexit.

• Options
    RobD said:

Isn't it normal to wait for the President to actually be in office before meeting them?
    I wasn't implying that May should have met Trump already....don't know why you though that....?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

The government target is net immigration of 100,000 a year. That is a sugnificant reduction on the current number. Also worth remembering the quid pro quo of immigration controls on EU citizens is reduced emigration from the UK. That means more elderly people living here than currently, of course.

Oh I don't doubt that there could be an impact, my point was if an undergraduate came to me with research as their thesis I would be less than impressed to put it mildly. They only modelled zero migration not a range like say 100-300k, which might have been useful...then this I would also be rather sceptical of what their model actually considered.

But like a dodgy dossier about trump the media Hoover up anything brexit related.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sandpit said:

What is it that's said about bets where the bookie won't take both sides of it..?

1/25 on the inauguration taking place must be value, he'll be surrounded by very tight security between now and then.

This is free money.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

The USA has some splendidly old-fashioned terminology. "Lewd Conduct", "Sodomy." (nothing to do with homosexuality."
  • Options

No migration would be bloody stupid — not even Kippers advocate that — and you don't need an education from Oxford University to realise that. Still if you want to prove a stupid point starting with a stupid premise is a good idea.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

I thought marriage was about its absence.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

I come from a Calvinist tradition, so not a fan. Pope Francis is a step up from recent Popes. The first one from outside Europe.
    If I take the plunge it will be to Catholicism....at least there is free will...

Calvinism is too prescriptive and pre determined....ergo, it would not be choice anyhow if I chose that path.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

You mean more old fogies living here and voting ? Oh dear! That's why I didn't want brexit.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

I thought marriage was about its absence.
    Very good comrade........
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

The USA has some splendidly old-fashioned terminology. "Lewd Conduct", "Sodomy." (nothing to do with homosexuality."
    This one was amusing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanchflower_v._Blanchflower
  • Options
    glw said:

No migration would be bloody stupid — not even Kippers advocate that — and you don't need an education from Oxford University to realise that. Still if you want to prove a stupid point starting with a stupid premise is a good idea.
    Based on events since last June, I can only conclude that the Brexit vote has unhinged some of our academics, presumably because they feel it threatens their funding.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

I have changed my view on this. I assumed before the vote that Brexit wouldn't change immigration levels. I now realise governments can significantly reduce immigration simply by being unpleasant to would be migrants
    Has anybody worked out how much more UK Border would cost in terms of extra manpower ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I think there will be net emigration of British gradiates, but outnumbered by returning pensioners, and a downturn in people retiring abroad. Crashing the economy in 2008 didnt impact on the numbers of inward migrants by much, and I would expect family reunification visas for both EU and non EU migrants to continue at least as at present, as well as asylum claimants.

I think that net immigration will remain over 200 000 per year over the next decade.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

Which makes life awkward if you take your girlfriend/ boyfriend out to a posh restaurant, or send them flowers, with high hopes.

Just an inconvenient truth.
    Banning prostitution is like banning eating and drinking.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

If I take the plunge it will be to Catholicism....at least there is free will...

Calvinism is too prescriptive and pre determined....ergo, it would not be choice anyhow if I chose that path.
    The paradox of predestination is that we do not know where we are predestined for, so we have free will. ;-)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

Has anybody worked out how much more UK Border would cost in terms of extra manpower ?
    I thought you were in favour of extra public sector spending ?

And it all adds to GDP.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Does anyone on here agree with me that La La Land is way overhyped and Assassins Creed must be the worst film ever made?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I think there will be net emigration of British gradiates, but outnumbered by returning pensioners, and a downturn in people retiring abroad. Crashing the economy in 2008 didnt impact on the numbers of inward migrants by much, and I would expect family reunification visas for both EU and non EU migrants to continue at least as at present, as well as asylum claimants.

I think that net immigration will remain over 200 000 per year over the next decade.
    I'm sure there might be the odd doctor or nurse somewhere in that extra two million then.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    surbiton said:

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

Exit checks are what we need if we are to enforce any migration policy. No need for Brexit to bring it in either.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

This one was amusing:

That's true of English law too. A woman is legally incapable of committing adultery with another woman, or committing rape.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,191
    Probably wishful thinking from the Guardian. But let's hope they're right!
  • Options

Taking of nonsense by the media....I am no fan of hunt, but he is getting stick from sky for making money on a company he set up 20 years ago & has had no active role for over 10 ie absolutely no wrong doing, everything by the book, no scandal.

Jeremy Hunt to get £15m payout from Hotcourses sale amid NHS crisis
    http://news.sky.com/story/hunt-to-get-16315m-payout-from-hotcourses-sale-amid-nhs-crisis-10730426

£15m ? He is a poor Tory.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

This one was amusing:

That's true of English law too. A woman is legally incapable of committing adultery with another woman, or committing rape.
    That sounds like discrimination to me.

Why don't I read articles in the Guardian about this oppression of lesbians ?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Based on events since last June, I can only conclude that the Brexit vote has unhinged some of our academics, presumably because they feel it threatens their funding.

I genuinely think it has had that effect on some people, and Trump's victory has had a similar effect in America. There are people I used to follow on Twitter who are serious academics who had started posting quite barmy conspiracy nonsense, I stopped listening.

It seems to me that some people are used to people like them always "winning", no matter what party actually won the election it was a party that coveted their support and was filled with people like them. Brexit and Trump are a victory for people who have been politically excluded for a long time, and our "betters" are not taking that very well.
  • Options
    The damage Trump is going to make to US institutions will have ramifications far longer than his tenure.

For example, "blind trusts", which were taken for granted is now being diluted. His insults at newsmen just because he doesn't like them.

He seems to have regard for the 2nd amendment. Very little for the 1st.

A really uncouth individual.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    rcs1000 said:

LOL.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Pound now below $1.20.
  • Options

John_M said:

Kellyanne Conway has said Trump's comments on 'women were unacceptable', and she was his campaign manager and will be a senior adviser in the White House.

So I don't see quite what May saying it proves.
    Presumably totally unacceptable in the sense of..er..accepting them.
  • Options
    glw said:

John_M said:

I genuinely think it has had that effect on some people, and Trump's victory has had a similar effect in America. There are people I used to follow on Twitter who are serious academics who had started posting quite barmy conspiracy nonsense, I stopped listening.

It seems to me that some people are used to people like them always "winning", no matter what party actually won the election it was a party that coveted their support and was filled with people like them. Brexit and Trump are a victory for people who have been politically excluded for a long time, and our "betters" are not taking that very well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erGTfimpmgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZl2udKDG3g
  • Options
    glw said:

John_M said:

Yes. Brexit and Trump's win have dismayed a lot of people who thought that history was inevitably marching in the direction they favoured.
  • Options
    glw said:

John_M said:

Trump won more votes than Hillary among the wealthiest in the US; while she beat him among the poorest.

Leave won because of huge support for it among pensioners - who have seen their incomes rise over 13% in the last decade, while those of working age have seen theirs fall.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Probably wishful thinking from the Guardian. But let's hope they're right!
    This is truly good news. I sincerely hope he has the guts to carry on saying:

“Europe is us! Brussels is us! We need Europe!”
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

This one was amusing:

Man on man sex is not adultery in English law, either.
  • Options
    Sounds like they're reviving 'Project Fear' as 'Project Euphemism'. Why? I thought it had been utterly discredited.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

This one was amusing:

Man on man sex is not adultery in English law, either.
    True as well.
  • Options

glw said:

John_M said:

Trump won more votes than Hillary among the wealthiest in the US; while she beat him among the poorest.

Leave won because of huge support for it among pensioners - who have seen their incomes rise over 13% in the last decade, while those of working age have seen theirs fall.

The pensioners today are one of the most selfish people in history. From birth, they have had privileges no other generation had until then. They were the first beneficiaries of the Welfare State.

The triple lock was no more than a bribe.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    surbiton said:

The damage Trump is going to make to US institutions will have ramifications far longer than his tenure.

For example, "blind trusts", which were taken for granted is now being diluted. His insults at newsmen just because he doesn't like them.

I really hope that Trump takes the Liberal Left (so called) of the USA, apart. But I doubt even he will be able to do it as the rot and the poisons gone too deep.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

If the economy does well it will be more but the difference will be that we control immigration and we can take in skills as they are needed by various sectors and from wherever we want
  • Options
    surbiton said:

glw said:

John_M said:

The pensioners today are one of the most selfish people in history. From birth, they have had privileges no other generation had until then. They were the first beneficiaries of the Welfare State.

The triple lock was no more than a bribe.
    Young people should try voting.
  • Options

We had a rather severe unemployment problem only a few years ago and when the next recession arrives we'll have plenty of unemployed again then.

We were also told that immigration from Eastern Europe wouldn't bring any demands on schooling. And then it did.

The bottom line is we all need to create as least as much wealth as we consume during our lives. Simply adding more people doesn't change that. On the contrary if the extra people are low skilled or if by simply being here they have a negative effect on productivity all they're doing is creating a human Ponzi scheme.

None of which means that Brexit will not lead to people working for longer before they retire as the overwhelmingly British-born population of the UK lives longer into old age (and fewer elderly people are able to emigrate) and fewer people of working age are around to create the wealth needed to support them. I completely accept Brexit means much lower public spending and far longer working lives for most people. I just wonder whether most people realise that's where they're heading.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Yes. Brexit and Trump's win have dismayed a lot of people who thought that history was inevitably marching in the direction they favoured.

I think it's a form of culture shock, it's not that their side lost that upsets some people so much, but that their assumptions about the nature of society are wrong. The people they don't like, and assumed were powerless, are more numerous and more powerful than they thought. And instead of having to move to another country to experience culture shock they got to feel it overnight and right at home, which is even more disturbing.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

I suspect a lot of people on work visas will not be labelled immigrants post-Brexit.

Personally, I suspect that net immigration really should end up well below current levels - but where exactly it will go, and whether the much-vaunted 100,000 target will be met, I would be loathe to predict. You may well be right about those on temporary work visas (the way imported agricultural labour, however much of that is still allowed, is liable to be structured after Brexit,) and the PM might yet be persuaded to exempt university students, although last I read about that it was suggested she wasn't keen on the idea.

Regardless, I reckon that quite a lot of the furore about immigration will die off once we leave the EU. There are several contributory factors toward immigration scepticism, one of these being the lack of any effective control over who comes into the country from the rest of the EU. Once that is dealt with, it should calm things down a good deal.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

surbiton said:

I really hope that Trump takes the Liberal Left (so called) of the USA, apart. But I doubt even he will be able to do it as the rot and the poisons gone too deep.
    You have the right to say that. Our freedoms allow it.
  • Options
    What ? Go below the Euro parity ? I thought it was the Euro that was imploding!

Come to Britain for your holidays. The Banana Kingdom!
This discussion has been closed.