Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now you can bet on how many LAB MPs will quit as during 2017

Comments

• Options
    I am prepared more tax if it was earmarked for the NHS: 53%

Those 53% can do so - all they have to do is go to a hospital with their cheque book and ask to make a donation.

In fact I've pointed that out to people who have told me that they would like to pay more tax as long as it went to the NHS and even offered to drive them then and there to a hospital of their choosing.

But I've never been taken up on the offer.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,064
    edited January 2017

TOPPING said:

The NHS findings really are a kick in the nuts for Labour.

More people agree than disagree that the Red Cross was right to describe the NHS was experiencing a humanitarian crisis (47% to 36%) but on who do they think would be better at managing the NHS winter crisis

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

Jeremy Corbyn/Labour - 31%

So a 12% lead for the Tories on the NHS.

I know I'm a tory supporter, but how the flying f*** are they not being hammered on the NHS?

Corbyn is utter shite.
    One would hope that people are beginning to realise that the largest injection of money into the NHS came under Tone & Gordo and that we are still where we are.

I appreciate that there is a huge social care dimension to the state of the NHS atm but nevertheless, perhaps people realise that spunking money up the (ward) wall isn't always the answer.
    Despite the constant negative stories on the NHS I do believe that people are beginning to question the constant demand for billions more and even if it is forthcoming how it is spent will be of most concern.

Sky reporting this morning big support for Theresa May on withholding funds on doctors not opening 8 - 8 - 7 days a week. How many know the Government has allocated in excess of 500,000 million for this improved GP service

There will be a big clamour to increase salaries but that will not address the massive increase in demand and you can bet that if Corbyn was given cart blanche it would go on salaries.
    I'm happy for an extra penny of MY tax to go on the NHS, but Hunt's reforms and salary caps should be stuck to nonetheless. I do not want to see it pissed away on bumper pay rises like Labour's cash was. Or PFI >.> Borrowing is cheap enough for the gov't, PFI just an accounting wheeze.
  • Options
    In the final question 30% of people want employers to have the freedom to set the pay of their staff - which means up to 30% are in favour of individual freeom and should be voting Lib Dem.
  • Options

More people agree than disagree that the Red Cross was right to describe the NHS was experiencing a humanitarian crisis (47% to 36%) but on who do they think would be better at managing the NHS winter crisis

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

In these sorts of surveys, everything depends on the exact question.

This question invites people to pass judgement on both the parties AND the leaders. In other recent surveys, when the leader names are omitted, Labour has been shown to retain a modest lead on health.

This demonstrates - as if we didn't know it already - that Theresa May is a significant asset to the Conservatives, Jeremy Corbyn a terrible handicap for Labour.

More generally, the survey gives both sides something to come away with, but the public do tend to have emotionally overwrought reactions to questions relating to the funding of the NHS (most of them reflexively say it should always have more cash thrown it at,) and the management of the NHS (Health Secretaries are almost invariably woefully unpopular, even if people have never really heard of them before.)

One of the results that most strikes me is the one suggesting, once again, that voters favour paying more tax if it were to be hypothecated for health spending. I don't believe that for a second. Any party which goes into an election promising tax rises to fund social goodies will pay a price.

People say they're willing to pay these extra taxes in order to make themselves sound nice and feel virtuous, but different impulses assert themselves in the privacy of the ballot box. Most voters do not support such measures - or if they do, what they really mean is that the extra tax should only be paid by people whose total income is at least £1 higher than theirs.

Terribly cynical of me, I know.
    Or if you are a pensioner put it on NI as it would not affect me
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Off topic - what an extremely sensible QT last night. Owen Patterson and Jeremy Whoever it was ex-LD talking an awful lot of sense on the NHS. Tezza should make one of them Health Secretary.

Jeremy Browne. Excellent.

Very Orange. Classic neoliberal

Back from the dead?
    Well they were both saying the unsayable about the NHS so I don't suppose Tezza will have the balls to employ or consult either. Shame, though - something needs to happen.
    Both are zealots who think we must pay premiums to private insurers, the government will bail out the poor, and somehow the insurers won't charge for all the admin.

Patterson did mention the Finnish system, which seems worth a look if it outperforms the UK system on no more money.

But if Labour hadn't cocked up the 2004 pay negotiations, which made UK doctors the best-paid in Europe, the NHS could probably deliver some of the best outcomes in the EU on the least money.
  • Options

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

This question invites people to pass judgement on both the parties AND the leaders. In other recent surveys, when the leader names are omitted, Labour has been shown to retain a modest lead on health.

This demonstrates - as if we didn't know it already - that Theresa May is a significant asset to the Conservatives, Jeremy Corbyn a terrible handicap for Labour.

More generally, the survey gives both sides something to come away with, but the public do tend to have emotionally overwrought reactions to questions relating to the funding of the NHS (most of them reflexively say it should always have more cash thrown it at,) and the management of the NHS (Health Secretaries are almost invariably woefully unpopular, even if people have never really heard of them before.)

One of the results that most strikes me is the one suggesting, once again, that voters favour paying more tax if it were to be hypothecated for health spending. I don't believe that for a second. Any party which goes into an election promising tax rises to fund social goodies will pay a price.

People say they're willing to pay these extra taxes in order to make themselves sound nice and feel virtuous, but different impulses assert themselves in the privacy of the ballot box. Most voters do not support such measures - or if they do, what they really mean is that the extra tax should only be paid by people whose total income is at least £1 higher than theirs.

NI is a ridiculous tax on employment - no other form of income generation incurs it.

Stick it on BR. Yes I do pay BR, PAYE.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,639
    Shocking numbers for Labour on the NHS. If they are that far behind on their star subject it is frankly surprising the polls are as close as they are.

I think one of the problems the NHS has is that the system is designed to work too close to capacity all the time. The result is that when demand increases they become increasingly inefficient with operations etc having to be cancelled for a lack of beds meaning that their skilled and expensive staff are not being effectively deployed. I agree with those that say money on its own cannot be the answer but we seem to have slipped past the point that the money is being productively spent.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Arguably Brexit disproves this, or at least provides evidence to the contrary, if we can assume Leave voters believed both that there would be an economic penalty but the NHS would get an extra £350 million a week.
  • Options

Those 53% can do so - all they have to do is go to a hospital with their cheque book and ask to make a donation.

In fact I've pointed that out to people who have told me that they would like to pay more tax as long as it went to the NHS and even offered to drive them then and there to a hospital of their choosing.

The problem with that is you're putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage with your money compared to other taxpayers !- anyway plenty of people give modest amounts to charity and so forth.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,355
    Oxford Uni showing the quality of their staff:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38622560

:)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

NI is a ridiculous tax on employment - no other form of income generation incurs it.

Excuse my ignorance but what is BR
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

Basic rate.

Over-acronymed, sorry !
  • Options

In the final question 30% of people want employers to have the freedom to set the pay of their staff - which means up to 30% are in favour of individual freeom and should be voting Lib Dem.
    Its interesting that the secondary questions suggest that support for the government is not that great. I would say the majority oppose the government's position on almost every question bar the first one. A competent opposition would be capitalising on this.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Shocking numbers for Labour on the NHS. If they are that far behind on their star subject it is frankly surprising the polls are as close as they are.

I think one of the problems the NHS has is that the system is designed to work too close to capacity all the time. The result is that when demand increases they become increasingly inefficient with operations etc having to be cancelled for a lack of beds meaning that their skilled and expensive staff are not being effectively deployed. I agree with those that say money on its own cannot be the answer but we seem to have slipped past the point that the money is being productively spent.

Yes, it is likely that too many beds and units were shut in the name of increasing efficiency and productivity. One man's waste is another man's spare capacity.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

Basic rate.
    Well why didn't I realise that - getting past it - thanks
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

Taxes on employment destroy jobs, what we need is to move on to taxes on consumption, so it rewards savers.
  • Options
    Come on Leicester, do us all a favour.
  • Options

They lack class, no wonder dossers are wanting to move into Oxford University, they've heard how easy it is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/01/10/squatters-take-university-oxford-building-turn-homeless-shelter/
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes, it is likely that too many beds and units were shut in the name of increasing efficiency and productivity. One man's waste is another man's spare capacity.
    Some PFI hospitals are too small. At Hereford, some wartime prefabs remained in use. http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/13337051.Contract_partner_confirmed_for___40m__re_build__of_Hereford_County_Hospital/

Pretty F***ing Idiotic.
  • Options

A large organisation asked for my help in protecting confidential data on their computer systems. After a few days research and analysis, my advice was they did not need to collect it in the first place.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Come on Leicester, do us all a favour.

Now 0 - 2
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,432

Arguably Brexit disproves this, or at least provides evidence to the contrary, if we can assume Leave voters believed both that there would be an economic penalty but the NHS would get an extra £350 million a week.
    All the evidence is that Leave voters do not expect to pay any financial price for it.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,982
    Pundits seem to be coming to some sort of realisation that people do actually like Theresa May. I do - but cant quite put my finger on why. Part of me thinks she had such a difficult role after Cameron's feck up some respect is required.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,845

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

Taxes on employment destroy jobs, what we need is to move on to taxes on consumption, so it rewards savers.
    There speaks a true Tory - supporting regressive taxation.

The notion that you might jump ship to the LibDems has been totally dispelled!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

Only people who don't know me think I might jump ship to the Lib Dems.

Why is it regressive to reward savers?
  • Options

Pundits seem to be coming to some sort of realisation that people do actually like Theresa May. I do - but cant quite put my finger on why. Part of me thinks she had such a difficult role after Cameron's feck up some respect is required.

Her ratings point to an enourmous landslide, larger than the polls I think. Lebo-Norpeth model.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,272

You are easily pleased, she has schemed and plotted to get where she is , in all her career she has been bland, done nothing and continues in the same vein , leading a bunch of braying donkeys. Get a life.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The problem with that is you're putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage with your money compared to other taxpayers !- anyway plenty of people give modest amounts to charity and so forth.
    But you would also know that it was your local hospital which was receiving the extra money.

In reality the people 'willing to pay more tax' for this issue or that cause are in fact only really willing for other people to pay more tax.
  • Options
    PaganPagan Posts: 259
    edited January 2017

hmm are you sure lib dems, arent much in favour of individual freedom if I can remind you of some policies

tax fizzy drinks
    tax alcohol more
    change definition of cider so the tax can be raised
    ban cigarette branding on packets
    ban houses that aren't zero carbon rated
    ban smoking in cars
    ban petrol and diesel cars
    have state regulation of the press
    Regulate goldfish
  • Options

I think that, irrespective of your politics, most people realise she has an impossible job and that she is doing her best.

The next few weeks will see an important milestone for her as she takes on those who want to remain by almost any means and her respect for the leave vote and to be the architect of the process to leave the EU.

I also believe this could be a dangerous time for those the public may perceive as being obstructive to her including MP's and the HOL
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

But you would also know that it was your local hospital which was receiving the extra money.

In reality the people 'willing to pay more tax' for this issue or that cause are in fact only really willing for other people to pay more tax.
    They are just talking bollox, when it comes to it they would not want to pay more and wasting any more would be stupid in any event. It needs a root and branch real reform from a bloated monster to a real health service. Free tits, free tatoo removal , free IVF etc are not the remit for a health service.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,642

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Off topic - what an extremely sensible QT last night. Owen Patterson and Jeremy Whoever it was ex-LD talking an awful lot of sense on the NHS. Tezza should make one of them Health Secretary.

Jeremy Browne. Excellent.

Very Orange. Classic neoliberal

Back from the dead?
    Well they were both saying the unsayable about the NHS so I don't suppose Tezza will have the balls to employ or consult either. Shame, though - something needs to happen.
    Both are zealots who think we must pay premiums to private insurers, the government will bail out the poor, and somehow the insurers won't charge for all the admin.

Patterson did mention the Finnish system, which seems worth a look if it outperforms the UK system on no more money.

But if Labour hadn't cocked up the 2004 pay negotiations, which made UK doctors the best-paid in Europe, the NHS could probably deliver some of the best outcomes in the EU on the least money.
    Yeah - shoulda woulda coulda. Zealot or not he mentioned several countries where the outcomes are better than ours for no greater spend. Including Finland.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

What about those who support higher tax on consumption, higher tax on expensive (and multiple) property, lower tax on the low paid and a maximum earnings limit ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

You are easily pleased, she has schemed and plotted to get where she is , in all her career she has been bland, done nothing and continues in the same vein , leading a bunch of braying donkeys. Get a life.
    We know you dont like her but who would you have in her place
  • Options
    Pagan said:

hmm are you sure lib dems, arent much in favour of individual freedom if I can remind you of some policies

tax fizzy drinks
    tax alcohol more
    change definition of cider so the tax can be raised
    ban cigarette branding on packets
    ban houses that aren't zero carbon rated
    ban smoking in cars
    ban petrol and diesel cars
    have state regulation of the press
    Regulate goldfish
    Anybody that votes for cheating lying nomark Lib Dems should be tarred and feathered. They are a bunch of illeberal t***s as you point out.
  • Options

I think that, irrespective of your politics, most people realise she has an impossible job and that she is doing her best.

The next few weeks will see an important milestone for her as she takes on those who want to remain by almost any means and her respect for the leave vote and to be the architect of the process to leave the EU.

I also believe this could be a dangerous time for those the public may perceive as being obstructive to her including MP's and the HOL
    What is impossible about her job????????
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Her ratings point to an enourmous landslide, larger than the polls I think. Lebo-Norpeth model.
    Does anyone know what RodCrosby is predicting for the next election ?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,531
    edited January 2017
    malcolmg said:

Squaring the circle of Brexit as no matter what happens she will not please everyone

Also Now 0 - 3 Chelsea
  • Options

malcolmg said:

An impossible question, I hate the tories but Labour are crap and the rest are just abominable. I despair at the state of the people running the country and fact that this lot of absolute right wing duffers are the best choice.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,218

Wasn't Will Hutton once at the heart of the Labour Project, aspiring to run the country?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

An impossible question, I hate the tories but Labour are crap and the rest are just abominable. I despair at the state of the people running the country and fact that this lot of absolute right wing duffers are the best choice.
    There must be someone - Nicola perhaps
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Squaring the circle of Brexit as no matter what happens she will not please everyone

Also Now 0 - 3 Chelsea
    We are where we are , she has to get on with it , my only hope is it leads to indyref2 and we get out of this disaster.
    A hard brexit and plenty of Sh** sandwiches coming up for sure.
  • Options

A large organisation asked for my help in protecting confidential data on their computer systems. After a few days research and analysis, my advice was they did not need to collect it in the first place.
    Excellent!

Did they accept that advice?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited January 2017
    Corbyn's handling of the anti Semitism issue..????? wasn't the "report" done my Ms Chakrabati.. who was subsequently honoured?
  • Options
    Are they any views as to the effects (political, economic or otherwise) if the government:

1) Got rid of the 45% tax 'encourage wealth creating entrepreneurs and the highly skilled'

2) Brought in a 100% tax on incomes over £1m 'fatcats and footballers'
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

More generally, the survey gives both sides something to come away with, but the public do tend to have emotionally overwrought reactions to questions relating to the funding of the NHS (most of them reflexively say it should always have more cash thrown it at,) and the

Only people who don't know me think I might jump ship to the Lib Dems.

Why is it regressive to reward savers?
    Just teasing.

Taxation on spending is regressive as it disproportionately impacts those on lower incomes.

As we know, the Tories love to increase VAT.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Also Now 0 - 3 Chelsea
    PS: Chelsea look like winners this year
  • Options
    edited January 2017

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I seriously doubt they will let her run Westminster, only hope is she gets independence.

PS: A vaccuum is always bad , far better May gets out and details where she i sgoing , silenc efor much longer will kill her.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Also Now 0 - 3 Chelsea
    We are where we are , she has to get on with it , my only hope is it leads to indyref2 and we get out of this disaster.
    Do you really believe Indy 2 is the answer.

Also the Scottish fishermen want Brexit and most of them are SNP.

• Options

Excellent!

Tbh, I do not know.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Also Now 0 - 3 Chelsea

I can see no decent UK solution, it will be hard brexit and years of pain or we will get crap deal , pay more for it and have same issues. England want out and we will be dragged kicking and screaming over the edge whether we like it or not. It is not going to end well.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

Opinium/Observer poll

Con 38 (nc) Lab 30 (-1) Lib Dems 7 (+1) UKIP 14 (+1)

And

If the government has to choose between staying in the single market or ending free movement, 41% would opt for the latter, and 32% the former.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/14/labour-struggling-build-voter-support-poll-theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn

2015 General Election result. Corbyn Team will take it now.

Staying in the Single Market is becoming more popular.
    On those figures Labour would easily retain both seats.
    Only because Opinium is the only pollster to have made no adjustments since the general election which is why it gets a repeat of the 2015 result and has Labour and UKIP higher than other pollsters and the LDs and Tories lower. I grant you Labour will probably hold Stoke but most polls show Copeland is too close to call
    I believe that Opinium has made adjustments since 2015 - but of a different kind.
  • Options
    Worth noting that in the Comres question on the wage cap Corbyn is not named; unlike in the question on the NHS.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,357
    Pulpstar said:

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

NI in principle should be the most effective tax ie funding your state pension and most of your unemployment benefit if needed as originally intended, however too many governments have just used the revenue as a general cash cow
  • Options

Are they any views as to the effects (political, economic or otherwise) if the government:

1) Got rid of the 45% tax 'encourage wealth creating entrepreneurs and the highly skilled'

2) Brought in a 100% tax on incomes over £1m 'fatcats and footballers'

An interesting question :>

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Pulpstar said:

Does anyone know what RodCrosby is predicting for the next election ?
    At the moment, I think, Con 650 - The Rest 0
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Anyone with some charisma !
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

Opinium/Observer poll

And

If the government has to choose between staying in the single market or ending free movement, 41% would opt for the latter, and 32% the former.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/14/labour-struggling-build-voter-support-poll-theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn

Only because Opinium is the only pollster to have made no adjustments since the general election which is why it gets a repeat of the 2015 result and has Labour and UKIP higher than other pollsters and the LDs and Tories lower. I grant you Labour will probably hold Stoke but most polls show Copeland is too close to call
    I believe that Opinium has made adjustments since 2015 - but of a different kind.
    Well they do not seem to be having much impact
  • Options
    surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

We have had enough of Blairs and Camerons for the moment, Cameron promised a brilliant renegotiation but it was all hot air, done in 5 minutes and he got virtually nothing, May will at least do some prep before hand
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Also Now 0 - 3 Chelsea

I can see no decent UK solution, it will be hard brexit and years of pain or we will get crap deal , pay more for it and have same issues. England want out and we will be dragged kicking and screaming over the edge whether we like it or not. It is not going to end well.
    You may be right but on the other hand this could be a one off golden opportunity to carve a new future for all of us in the UK, and I genuinely mean all of the UK

I think the biggest problem for everyone is the uncertainty magnified many times by the election of Trump. The World order has been stood on it's head and I cannot recall a time in my 73 years when so many people are fearful of the future (maybe when Russia and US were threatening nuclear war in the late 50's early 60's)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I seriously doubt they will let her run Westminster, only hope is she gets independence.

PS: A vaccuum is always bad , far better May gets out and details where she i sgoing , silenc efor much longer will kill her.
    I agree with that and expect her speech on tuesday and the next few weeks will give much more clarity
  • Options
    surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Well who then
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Theresa May/Tories - 43%

I know I'm a tory supporter, but how the flying f*** are they not being hammered on the NHS?

Corbyn is utter shite.
    One would hope that people are beginning to realise that the largest injection of money into the NHS came under Tone & Gordo and that we are still where we are.

I appreciate that there is a huge social care dimension to the state of the NHS atm but nevertheless, perhaps people realise that spunking money up the (ward) wall isn't always the answer.
    Despite the constant negative stories on the NHS I do believe that people are beginning to question the constant demand for billions more and even if it is forthcoming how it is spent will be of most concern.

Sky reporting this morning big support for Theresa May on withholding funds on doctors not opening 8 - 8 - 7 days a week. How many know the Government has allocated in excess of 500,000 million for this improved GP service

There will be a big clamour to increase salaries but that will not address the massive increase in demand and you can bet that if Corbyn was given cart blanche it would go on salaries.
    What's the deficit now ? 560 billion ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

Opinium/Observer poll

And

How do we know? Without its adjustments the Tory lead might be just 3%. Perhaps some pollsters such as ICM and YouGov have made too many adjustments. Only time will tell.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Also Now 0 - 3 Chelsea

Opinium has the biggest support for hard Brexit coming from Wales!
  • Options

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Well who then
    TSE will say Cameron.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

Opinium/Observer poll

And

How do we know? Without its adjustments the Tory lead might be just 3%. Perhaps some pollsters such as ICM and YouGov have made too many adjustments. Only time will tell.
    Given the Labour voteshare has fallen in all 3 by elections fought by the main parties since the referendum I think we can say which pollsters are more likely to be right but as you say time will tell and Copeland and Stoke will give a stronger clue as both are held by Labour
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

Opinium/Observer poll

And

Justin - you are so loyal and always looking on the bright side for labour, if there is one
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Well who then
    TSE will say Cameron.
    The man who failed to get the renegotiation leading to us leaving the EU in the first place. Sorry we do not need someone with charisma at the moment, what we need is someone dry, dull, tough and willing to put in the hard work of the Brexit negotiations which will dominate the remainder of this Parliament
  • Options
    SpaceX have completed their primary mission and delivered ten Iridium satellites into orbit, and have also completed their secondary mission in successfully landing the first stage.

Woohoo!

Now they just need to refly a landed first stage - hopefully next month on SES-10.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,026

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Well who then
    I'd vote for Nicola, but unfortunately I don't think the SNP are planning to stand a candidate in Ealing Central & Acton.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Also Now 0 - 3 Chelsea

Didn't you vote to leave though :D ?
  • Options

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Well who then
    I'd vote for Nicola, but unfortunately I don't think the SNP are planning to stand a candidate in Ealing Central & Acton.
    You could move to Scotland. It is a great place to live
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    theakes said:

Gosh Lib Dems now down to 9 -2 to win Stoke Central at William Hill.

They should win as long as they play the REMAIN card [ meaning Single Market ] hard.

The same in Copeland.
  • Options

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Well who then
    My work colleague is seriously considering retiring to the Isle of Arran.
  • Options

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

Opinium/Observer poll

And

Justin - you are so loyal and always looking on the bright side for labour, if there is one
    Look - I am not a Labour party member - and have only voted Labour at one of the last five General Elections! I am seeking a bit of intellectual objectivity rather than the wishful thinking that so many seem to prefer.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,432
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Also Now 0 - 3 Chelsea

There's got to be a non-zero chance the Supreme Court will throw a major curve-ball over Scotland.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

theakes said:

They should win as long as they play the REMAIN card [ meaning Single Market ] hard.

The same in Copeland.
    Backing the double for Labour in the two elections was my favourite bet so far, @ 31-10 too.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

theakes said:

The same in Copeland.
    If it is held on the 4th May the political climate may well have moved on from Brexit as we enter two years of negotiating
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,026

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Well who then
    I know, but don't think I could manage the commute.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Also Now 0 - 3 Chelsea

There's got to be a non-zero chance the Supreme Court will throw a major curve-ball over Scotland.
    Gives life to two birds with one stone !
  • Options

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Well who then
    You never know ... they might stand there
    http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2016/12/13/snp-tempted-to-stand-candidates-in-england-nicola-sturgeon/
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

Opinium/Observer poll

And

Look - I am not a Labour party member - and have only voted Labour at one of the last five General Elections! I am seeking a bit of intellectual objectivity rather than the wishful thinking that so many seem to prefer.
    Fair enough then - good on you
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,531
    edited January 2017
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Well who then
    My work colleague is seriously considering retiring to the Isle of Arran.
    My Wife's Father lived on Arran. Beautiful and irresistible - fantastic choice
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

theakes said:

The same in Copeland.
    Backing the double for Labour in the two elections was my favourite bet so far, @ 31-10 too.
    Copeland should be Labour with the right [ literally ] selection. That selection will not please me though.

Stoke is a gone-er as long as the Lib Dems stick to hard REMAIN. The opposition will be split three ways.
  • Options

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Well who then
    I know, but don't think I could manage the commute.
    Quicker than on Southern
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

theakes said:

The same in Copeland.
    Copeland should be Labour with the right [ literally ] selection. That selection will not please me though.

Stoke is a gone-er as long as the Lib Dems stick to hard REMAIN. The opposition will be split three ways.
    Stoke voted 69% Leave, the LDs have no chance there, if they won it Farron would be heading for number 10 with a landslide majority. For example the LDs got just 11% in Sleaford and Hykeham in an area which voted 62% Leave. It will be a Labour hold with a reduced majority. Copeland will be neck and neck between the Tories and Labour
  • Options
    Black_Rook said:
    ' We have already passed the point in this Parliament relative to which - when the election eventually occurred - a Labour Party in Opposition has ALWAYS polled lower. '

That is not ACTUALLY true! To take the 1987 - 1992 Parliament - there were polls in early 1991 giving Labour ratings of 34 and 32% - yet at the 1992 election they polled 35.2%. Going back to the 1959 - 1964 Parliament there were polls as late as October 1962 giving Labour a poll rating several points lower than achieved in October 1964.
  • Options
    To help us assess UKIP chances in Stoke, there are two by-elections coming up in Rotherham on Feb 2.

Two more failures like Sunderland last week and it points at defeat in the Potteries.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Excellent!

I don't know. I was only peripherally involved in the project. Basically I suggested that instead of collecting a whole load of personal data, it might be safer to issue a sort-of serial number.
  • Options

To help us assess UKIP chances in Stoke, there are two by-elections coming up in Rotherham on Feb 2.

Two more failures like Sunderland last week and it points at defeat in the Potteries.

UKIP is all talk and no action. When Farage couldn't win in uber UKIP territory , Thanet then they cannot win anywhere. Carswell is a Tory.
  • Options

Think the same applies to labour. The Sunderland result was astonishing
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

theakes said:

The same in Copeland.

Stoke voted 69% Leave, the LDs have no chance there, if they won it Farron would be heading for number 10 with a landslide majority. For example the LDs got just 11% in Sleaford and Hykeham in an area which voted 62% Leave. It will be a Labour hold with a reduced majority. Copeland will be neck and neck between the Tories and Labour
    60% of the 69% will vote for Con, UKIP or Labour. 9% of the Remain [ mostly Labour ] + the 31% will vote LD.

LD will get the Remain vote and the NOTA vote. They should not be ruled out in Copeland either.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

theakes said:

The same in Copeland.

60% of the 69% will vote for Con, UKIP or Labour. 9% of the Remain [ mostly Labour ] + the 31% will vote LD.

LD will get the Remain vote and the NOTA vote. They should not be ruled out in Copeland either.
    The Tories will get some of the Remain and most of them will stick with Labour, there will be small leakage to the LDs at most. I was phoning in Copeland last week for 2 hours and got 1 LD the entire time. In both seats the LDs did worse than they did nationally at the general election and both areas also voted Leave, as was the case in Sleaford and Hykeham where they came third
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Think the same applies to labour. The Sunderland result was astonishing
    The Sunderland result in the Sandill Ward was almost entirely down to the local councillor resigning due to non-attendance and a massive protest vote, the LDs were second in the ward in 2010, it was not a sign all Sunderland voters have suddenly swung in favour of free movement of workers
    http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=8510&p=0&fsize=40kb&ftype=Results of Poll - Local Government Election on Thursday 6 May 2010.PDF
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,311
    edited January 2017

How many know the Government has allocated in excess of 500,000 million for this improved GP service

I think you may have added too many noughts to that.

* 500,000 million is half-a-trillion. That's 500,000,000,000, ie 5x10^11
    * There are about 50,000 GPs in the UK, ie 5x 10^4
    * So that's 10^7 each, that's £10 million each

So if your number is correct, the Government is planning to give each GP ten million quid each to work weekends.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,942
    edited January 2017

SpaceX have completed their primary mission and delivered ten Iridium satellites into orbit, and have also completed their secondary mission in successfully landing the first stage.

Woohoo!

Now they just need to refly a landed first stage - hopefully next month on SES-10.

It's good to see private industry replicating what state industries managed 60 years ago. Can we expect to see Elon Musk walking in Neil Armstrong's footsteps in another 12 years? :wink:

Only kidding. It is quite an achievement!
  • Options
    ComRes = Tories!

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

theakes said:

The same in Copeland.

The Tories will get some of the Remain and most of them will stick with Labour, there will be small leakage to the LDs at most. I was phoning in Copeland last week for 2 hours and got 1 LD the entire time. In both seats the LDs did worse than they did nationally at the general election and both areas also voted Leave, as was the case in Sleaford and Hykeham where they came third
    Note: funny how, in all the excitement about a local government ward, people seem to have banished Sleaford from their minds.

If the Leave/Remain divide is really so very, very important, then why should the Lib Dems win in Copeland from a low base, when they accumulated 11% from a low base in Sleaford?
This discussion has been closed.