Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LEAVE campaign’s message on the NHS is still resonating st

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I would suggest that the process has started.

When did we submit Article 50?

Oh...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited January 2017

Despite still being in the EU .......

Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver is closing six of his 42 UK Jamie's Italian restaurants.

The Aberdeen, Cheltenham, Exeter, Tunbridge Wells and in London, the Ludgate and Richmond outlets are all scheduled to close soon.

I am amazed the Aberdeen one has stayed open so long. The city is at the tail end of a 2 year massive oil slump that has seen around 120,000 jobs lost in the UK sector. A huge number of those in and around Aberdeen.

A lot of these restaurants existed up there because of company expense accounts and people with huge amounts of disposable income. The last year has seen dozens close and Jamie's was not even one of the good ones.
    Why anybody would eat in a Jamie's (faux) Italian is beyond me. Not as if there is limited choice when it comes to Italian cuisine in the UK.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    edited January 2017

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Scott is suggesting that if a top CE was to announce his retirement from a listed company, the share price wouldn't react until his last day in the office as well - "he hasn't quit yet"

We haven't announced we're leaving yet...

We have said we will announce it. Maybe. In March. Depending on the court case. And Parliament.

We will definitely get right on it. At some point.
    FT : "Top CEO announces intention to stand down"
    FT : "Share price unaffected as he hasn't handed letter to HR yet..."
    In your analogy the UK's economic performance is more akin to the company's revenues, not its share price, where you could more readily draw an analogy with the GBP exchange rate which as you know got hammered.
    The GBP has been over valued for most of the last decade

in other news

record car sales
    construction manufacturing and service PMIs rise
    UK fastest growing G7 economy

etc.
    Leaving the EU in order to weaken the pound does seem rather like using a daisy cutter to crack a nut.
    or one could say staying in the EU to keep the pound artificlally overvalued only helped german manufacturers.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Scott is suggesting that if a top CE was to announce his retirement from a listed company, the share price wouldn't react until his last day in the office as well - "he hasn't quit yet"

We have said we will announce it. Maybe. In March. Depending on the court case. And Parliament.

Ah bless.

Look, can you take a word of friendly advice?

You are making yourself look very, very silly.

Take a break.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Scott_P said:

Oh...

Scott. Give it up. Everyone knows we are leaving.

The formal submission of A50 is a formality.

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    felix said:

PClipp said:

MaxPB said:

That £350m per week for the NHS has the potential to be the new 'Read my lips, no new taxes'

Which is why the Tories will promise an extra £70m per week per year in the manifesto. That's an additional £350m per week by the end of the period and it allows for inflation to cut into the real terms amount by well over half. That will satisfy almost everyone, including voters in Lab/Con marginals who voted Leave.
    The Tories will promise anything you like..... but they never keep their promises once they have got themselves elected.

I think the country is starting to see through the Tory guff. The Trump campaign was an eye-opener for many.
    Hahahaha - TUITION FEES!
    Double your Hahahahahahah, Mr Felix. The Lib Dems did not form a government of their own. The tuition fees increase was Tory policy - and if Labour had formed the government, they would have done exactly the same. So.... Hahahahahahahaha

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

Scott_P said:

Oh...

It's not merely a formality. We have yet to make a constitutional decision to leave.
  • Options

If we don't submit in March, are we leaving?

If we don't submit in 2017, are we leaving?

If we don't submit this Parliament, are we leaving?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited January 2017

Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver is closing six of his 42 UK Jamie's Italian restaurants.

The Aberdeen, Cheltenham, Exeter, Tunbridge Wells and in London, the Ludgate and Richmond outlets are all scheduled to close soon.

I am amazed the Aberdeen one has stayed open so long. The city is at the tail end of a 2 year massive oil slump that has seen around 120,000 jobs lost in the UK sector. A huge number of those in and around Aberdeen.

A lot of these restaurants existed up there because of company expense accounts and people with huge amounts of disposable income. The last year has seen dozens close and Jamie's was not even one of the good ones.
    Why anybody would eat in a Jamie's (faux) Italian is beyond me. Not as if there is limited choice when it comes to Italian cuisine in the UK.
    A recognisable brand and confidence in a certain level of quality is often very compelling, especially in a new city or town.

That said, I still have no idea why people go to Angus Steak Houses, as noted on here previously.
  • Options

It's not merely a formality. We have yet to make a constitutional decision to leave.

For the Brexiteers, constitutional demands are irrelevant. The rule of law is an inconvenience.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    Scott_P said:

I've been posting crap here all day because it's my last day and there's shit all to do.

This is your LIFE.

I know I take the piss, but you are too good for this.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

They were supposed to come immediately after the vote.

Article 50 was supposed to come immediately after the vote.

If you want to claim Brexit happened before Article 50, go ahead.

Otherwise, things tend to happen in chronological order. If we ever trigger, we can have a discussion about how well it is going.
    One more time using simple words.

After ... the ... vote ...

Three words which one are you struggling to understand. Article 50 is a technicality for negotiations it is not the vote. Brexit was always supposed to be years later. The emergency budget would come immediate AFTER THE VOTE. Which word is confusing you? Is it vote?
    Luckily enough it turns out that a rate cut was sufficient such that an emergency budget was no longer required.
    Not only no longer required but we outgrew predictions for if we Remained. Leaves one wondering why was Osborne so incompetent as to not predict that. Or why Remainers were predicting rates would go UP if we voted to Leave now down?
    Well as I pointed out before, the BoE is independent. It has a remit of promoting stability, plus an inflation target. A lot changed between June 23rd and June 24th and as in all cases, there is a range of policy options between the Bank and the Treasury. An emergency budget would presumably have been designed to release liquidity into the market via a fiscal transfer of some kind. But the Bank provided that liquidity with a rate cut.

What underpins all this is the makeup of a worryingly large proportion of our economic growth. When we say "economic growth" we should, rather, say "people going out shopping" as a shorthand. Anything to keep people going out shopping will maintain economic growth. A rate cut helped to achieve that (as might have a tax cut from a budget, say).
    Weren't taxes supposed to have gone up in the emergency budget?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Ah bless.

Look, can you take a word of friendly advice?

You are making yourself look very, very silly.

Take a break.
    Nah. We've never Brexited before. None of us knows what it involves, how it plays out, what the issues will be.

All we can do is take it formal step by formal step and ignore the phoney war. The first formal step was the vote = GBP tanked. The next formal step is triggering A50. After that it is A50 + two years.

We shall have to wait to see what happens in each case.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh...

The decision was made last June.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Scott_P said:

Oh...
    In the real world process starts with the contemplation. A50 is the EU world where you can only start to negotiate out loud when you say you really, really want to leave.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jesus F Christ.

Sean you've just been triggered. Where's the nearest safe space?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    TOPPING said:

A recognisable brand and confidence in a certain level of quality is often very compelling, especially in a new city or town.

That said, I still have no idea why people go to Angus Steak Houses, as noted on here previously.
    There are two a penny meh Italian branded restaurants already. Alternatively, there are lots and lots of good mom and pop Italians up and down the country.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

Oh...
    I wonder whether they will delay invoking A50 until after the French election? Perhaps after a shock move in the polls, or apropos of something or other, they will say that it's best to wait because if Le Pen wins and Frexit ensues then the game will have changed completely. Best to know whether it will be Britain and EU27 at the table or Britain, France and Germany EU26. Fools rush in, etc. Do it right and they could get Gordon Brown to talk about prudence.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I always felt sorry for Michael Fish. He made an honest prediction, got it wrong, admitted it, but has been mocked ever since.

He could have gone along with the hysteria, predicted disaster and the end of civilisation and still have been found totally wrong. Such is weather forecasting and economics. But at least his was an honest mistake.

I'm sure Mr Osborne and Cameron would be quite good at hanging wallpaper.

In Mr P's world, the hurricane never happened and we had a peaceful day with only a slight breeze. You post-truth mockers are merely thick, knuckle-dragging Neanderthals. Give him a break.
  • Options

An advisory referendum in a representative democracy. Constitutionally irrelevant.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

In your analogy the UK's economic performance is more akin to the company's revenues, not its share price, where you could more readily draw an analogy with the GBP exchange rate which as you know got hammered.

in other news

record car sales

etc.
    Which follows from a big drop in the value of the pound.
    It's good for the economy ..... for a while.
    maybe the pound wouldnt have dropped quite so much if we hadnt cut interest rates

which of course was driven by the"experts" fucking up their forecasts

at least they now admit they got it wrong too many PB remainers cant

Hmmm - lower interest rates may well be one reason why people are splashing the cash and so helping to drive growth figures. If they go up and inflation returns then that could create serious problems. We need to be very careful.

• Options
    CD13 said:

I always felt sorry for Michael Fish. He made an honest prediction, got it wrong, admitted it, but has been mocked ever since.

He could have gone along with the hysteria, predicted disaster and the end of civilisation and still have been found totally wrong. Such is weather forecasting and economics. But at least his was an honest mistake.

I'm sure Mr Osborne and Cameron would be quite good at hanging wallpaper.

In Mr P's world, the hurricane never happened and we had a peaceful day with only a slight breeze. You post-truth mockers are merely thick, knuckle-dragging Neanderthals. Give him a break.

I always thought the hurricane bit was about something in Florida, and that he went on to predict strong winds throughout the UK.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

I wonder whether they will delay invoking A50 until after the French election? Perhaps after a shock move in the polls, or apropos of something or other, they will say that it's best to wait because if Le Pen wins and Frexit ensues then the game will have changed completely. Best to know whether it will be Britain and EU27 at the table or Britain, France and Germany EU26. Fools rush in, etc. Do it right and they could get Gordon Brown to talk about prudence.

That would seem sensible. The headbangers will never stand for it.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

Oh...
    So why did the pound drop in value then ? I mean we haven't handed in A50 so it must be unrelated....

This is making the defence of the pasty tax look sensible..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

An advisory referendum in a representative democracy. Constitutionally irrelevant.

You are an AI robot, programmed to come up with the most ridiculous arguments ever.

And I claim my £5.

• Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

They were supposed to come immediately after the vote.

Article 50 was supposed to come immediately after the vote.

If you want to claim Brexit happened before Article 50, go ahead.

Otherwise, things tend to happen in chronological order. If we ever trigger, we can have a discussion about how well it is going.
    One more time using simple words.

After ... the ... vote ...

Three words which one are you struggling to understand. Article 50 is a technicality for negotiations it is not the vote. Brexit was always supposed to be years later. The emergency budget would come immediate AFTER THE VOTE. Which word is confusing you? Is it vote?
    Luckily enough it turns out that a rate cut was sufficient such that an emergency budget was no longer required.
    Not only no longer required but we outgrew predictions for if we Remained. Leaves one wondering why was Osborne so incompetent as to not predict that. Or why Remainers were predicting rates would go UP if we voted to Leave now down?
    Well as I pointed out before, the BoE is independent. It has a remit of promoting stability, plus an inflation target. A lot changed between June 23rd and June 24th and as in all cases, there is a range of policy options between the Bank and the Treasury. An emergency budget would presumably have been designed to release liquidity into the market via a fiscal transfer of some kind. But the Bank provided that liquidity with a rate cut.

What underpins all this is the makeup of a worryingly large proportion of our economic growth. When we say "economic growth" we should, rather, say "people going out shopping" as a shorthand. Anything to keep people going out shopping will maintain economic growth. A rate cut helped to achieve that (as might have a tax cut from a budget, say).
    Weren't taxes supposed to have gone up in the emergency budget?
    Yes, to plug the hit from us leaving. As has been discussed on here, estimates of the hit from Brexit dwarfed the GBP8bn we were paying in and he was worried the gap would need plugging.

I have no idea at what time scale some of the measures he suggested would have taken effect. I agree it would seem strange to hit people with a tax hike when we are in such a sensitive position and I have no doubt that that was discussed with Carney. In the end we had liquidity fed into the system and all was well.

Be under no illusion, though, it is still very likely (as Andy said yesterday) that the hit to the economy and the concomitant fiscal gap will appear over the next year or two.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Didn't the Commons just have a vote saying A50 must be declared by March?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Dromedary said:

That would seem sensible. The headbangers will never stand for it.
    Its only going to be delayed if the Supreme Court causes a delay by their ruling, otherwise TM will serve it by 31st March
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I've been posting crap here all day because it's my last day and there's shit all to do.

This is your LIFE.

I know I take the piss, but you are too good for this.
    Last day???!!!

Not effing off abroad as well?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited January 2017
    Sometimes you just can't beat the Bard:
    A tale told by ...
  • Options
    RobD said:

A non-binding opposition motion?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Scott_P said:

You are an AI robot, programmed to come up with the most ridiculous arguments ever.

And I claim my £5.
    Respecting the rule of law is ridiculous? If I were a Brexiteer, deriding our most enduring national competitive advantage wouldn't be my first priority.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

There are two a penny meh Italian branded restaurants already. Alternatively, there are lots and lots of good mom and pop Italians up and down the country.
    Y but coming out of the train station, or parking at the hotel and walking into town, it's not immediately obvious which they are.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Do you honestly think the 34 million who voted only thought it was advisory
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

No they passed a motion calling on the government to pull its finger out. If the government can get its ducks in a row in time it's their problem.
  • Options
    @SeanT.. maybe days where we are compelled to discuss indy ref 2, AV! :D
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. T, in the medieval era, many days (several a week anyway and Advent/Lent) were meat-free. Could be a similar approach. With arguments over whether puffins are fish. And who gets to eat in the misericord.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

What they thought does not change the constitutional reality
  • Options

Mr. T, in the medieval era, many days (several a week anyway and Advent/Lent) were meat-free. Could be a similar approach. With arguments over whether puffins are fish. And who gets to eat in the misericord.

Jaffa cakes cake or biscuit? To borrow from CiF?
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

No they passed a motion calling on the government to pull its finger out. If the government can get its ducks in a row in time it's their problem.
    Any indication that the government wont do A50 by end of March?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Floater said:

Accurate - but not happy reading if you are a fan of the Labour party or even of having a semi competent and believable opposition.

https://capx.co/labour-is-ludicrous-but-its-no-laughing-matter/

Just been reading that myself. "So hapless in fact, he [Corbyn, of course] makes Iain Duncan Smith’s stewardship of the Conservative party seem a triumph of Bismarckian proportions." Nice.

The only way I think I could ever respect Labour again is if the sensible element broke away (because it doesn't look as if anybody's likely to get Corbyn to budge,) and set up a traditional moderate left party as an inheritor to Labour's traditions: standing up for working people, rather than pandering to the wretched North London set, with their identity politics obsessions and accommodating attitudes towards various rogue states and terrorist groups. I think that they might even do it, were they not terrified of the Corbyn rump retaining control of the name and, consequently, the entire habit/brand loyalty vote.

And yet, this is no time for dithering. Labour is effectively three parties - Southern, Northern/Welsh, and Scottish - living miserably together. Scottish Labour is probably already doomed. Northern Labour risks its own slow, lingering death, through association with the Southern Labour leadership and its madcap policies. If they want to survive then they need to be bold - because sitting on their arses and praying for a miracle is unlikely to yield either respect or results.

Southern Labour can probably live on indefinitely as a rump, catering for an unholy alliance of Champagne socialists and the Far Left. But it is bloody vile.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

It depends what the SC says is required. It may be simply impossible to get the legislation through parliament in a couple of months.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

What they thought does not change the constitutional reality
    I do not believe you mean that 34 million were misled into thinking their vote would not be relevant if some of the elite decide to reject the decision
  • Options
    Tory grandee Michael Heseltine is fined £5,000 after leaving a cyclist needing pins in his legs when he ran him over in his Jaguar - but insists the cyclist was doing 30mph and could not be seen behind an overgrown hedge

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4095120/Tory-grandee-Michael-Heseltine-fined-5-000-careless-driving-leaving-cyclist-needing-pins-legs-ran-Jaguar.html
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

in other news

record car sales

etc.
    Which follows from a big drop in the value of the pound.
    It's good for the economy ..... for a while.
    maybe the pound wouldnt have dropped quite so much if we hadnt cut interest rates

which of course was driven by the"experts" fucking up their forecasts

at least they now admit they got it wrong too many PB remainers cant

Hmmm - lower interest rates may well be one reason why people are splashing the cash and so helping to drive growth figures. If they go up and inflation returns then that could create serious problems. We need to be very careful.

Mr SO back in the land of the sensible there is always something to worry about on the economy. Currently it;s inflation.

If we;d never had the vote today we would be worrying about some economic indicator and why it could be bad news for us all.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

It depends what the SC says is required. It may be simply impossible to get the legislation through parliament in a couple of months.
    Wouldn't the government just suspend all business to ensure it gets through very quickly? The Lord Speaker has already said they won't block it.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited January 2017
    Mr D,

"and that he went on to predict strong winds throughout the UK."

Indeed he did. Life can be cruel.

Mr T,

Sorry, but it is amusing, although it does have a "laughing at the loon" feel to it. But you're right, Brexit is coming soon enough and freedom beckons. No need to dwell on the nonsense Remainers' propaganda and pick at the scabs of delusion.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Scott_P said:

And I claim my £5.
    Respecting the rule of law is ridiculous? If I were a Brexiteer, deriding our most enduring national competitive advantage wouldn't be my first priority.

No. Trying to pretend the most important* British referendum for 40 years was a minor little opinion poll that can be gerrymandered away by waving your wand around and saying the word "constitutional" a few times, is ridiculous.

* Ignoring AV for obvious reasons.

• Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    CD13 said:

It's not pleasant that he gets mocked, as if weathermen should always get their predictions right, but it's probably been good for him financially.

Meanwhile, some people still think there is only one type of snow and that British Rail were wrong to say otherwise.

• Options

I do not believe you mean that 34 million were misled into thinking their vote would not be relevant if some of the elite decide to reject the decision

I never said that.

The vote is constitutionally irrelevant. No amount of rhetoric can change that.

That doesn't mean it was politically irrelevant, but that wasn't the original claim
  • Options
    RobD said:

Wouldn't the government just suspend all business to ensure it gets through very quickly? The Lord Speaker has already said they won't block it.

Depends what "it" is.

A 2 line bill, maybe. Repeal of the 1972 Act, much harder.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Forgot Brexit...shouldn't we all discussing todays most important news in the BBC / Guardian sphere...Fabric is back open tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38513146/no-pleasure-for-fabric-boss-despite-clubs-return
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Is it not possible for parliament to assert authority over the SC at any moment with new legislation?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I never said that.

The vote is constitutionally irrelevant. No amount of rhetoric can change that.

That doesn't mean it was politically irrelevant, but that wasn't the original claim
    With respect it is a bit like dancing on a pin head - the result is politically relevant and that is all that matters
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Depends what "it" is.

Would the Supreme Court go so far as to require that? I don't recall it being discussed in the ruling of the lower court.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Is it not possible for parliament to assert authority over the SC at any moment with new legislation?

Not by March
  • Options
    philiph said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I'm not sure. Imagine the SC did say that repealing the 72 Act was required. Could Parliament really just legislate that it isn't?
  • Options

the result is politically relevant and that is all that matters

We have to meet our constitutional requirements. The vote alone does not do that.

Why is it so hard for Brexiteers to follow the rule of law?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Would the Supreme Court go so far as to require that? I don't recall it being discussed in the ruling of the lower court.

Different arguments were put forward.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Depends what "it" is.

Lady Hale raised the possibility in her speech in Kuala Lumpur. Also the lower court wasn't asked to consider the Scottish question.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Scott_P said:

And I claim my £5.

But an AI robot would have a better access to maps of the geography of Birmingham and its environs. No, I fear Shirley_P is just a human. With all the horrors THAT entails.....
  • Options

But an AI robot would have a better access to maps of the geography of Birmingham and its environs.

But it's not IN Birmingham, right?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

Accurate - but not happy reading if you are a fan of the Labour party or even of having a semi competent and believable opposition.

Just been reading that myself. "So hapless in fact, he [Corbyn, of course] makes Iain Duncan Smith’s stewardship of the Conservative party seem a triumph of Bismarckian proportions." Nice.

The only way I think I could ever respect Labour again is if the sensible element broke away (because it doesn't look as if anybody's likely to get Corbyn to budge,) and set up a traditional moderate left party as an inheritor to Labour's traditions: standing up for working people, rather than pandering to the wretched North London set, with their identity politics obsessions and accommodating attitudes towards various rogue states and terrorist groups. I think that they might even do it, were they not terrified of the Corbyn rump retaining control of the name and, consequently, the entire habit/brand loyalty vote.

And yet, this is no time for dithering. Labour is effectively three parties - Southern, Northern/Welsh, and Scottish - living miserably together. Scottish Labour is probably already doomed. Northern Labour risks its own slow, lingering death, through association with the Southern Labour leadership and its madcap policies. If they want to survive then they need to be bold - because sitting on their arses and praying for a miracle is unlikely to yield either respect or results.

Southern Labour can probably live on indefinitely as a rump, catering for an unholy alliance of Champagne socialists and the Far Left. But it is bloody vile.
    Labour face an awful problem now.

Not just the fact that Corbyn and his ilk are running (ruining?) things.

We have all been shown that Labour even if they get rid of him are susceptible to hard left takeover.

Want to risk that if they put someone allegedly competent and sane in charge?

Nope, not me either.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Scott_P said:

And I claim my £5.

No. Trying to pretend the most important* British referendum for 40 years was a minor little opinion poll that can be gerrymandered away by waving your wand around and saying the word "constitutional" a few times, is ridiculous.

If it was that important parliament would have legislated for it to be binding. Unlike the 2011 AV it didn't.

• Options

Scott_P said:

And I claim my £5.

But an AI robot would have a better access to maps of the geography of Birmingham and its environs. No, I fear Shirley_P is just a human. With all the horrors THAT entails.....
    it takes some doing to live in a place for several years and not realise where you are
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Scott_P said:

We have to meet our constitutional requirements. The vote alone does not do that.

Can you stop brashly generalising everyone who voted leave? It's disgusting.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I voted remain but respect the democratic will of the people and just want to get on with it.

HMG will follow the Supreme Court ruling and I doubt the judgement will create the constitutional crisis you seem to hope for
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And I claim my £5.

If it was that important parliament would have legislated for it to be binding. Unlike the 2011 AV it didn't.

Aren't you the one who kept claiming for years that the British people "don't give a monkey's" about the issue of the EU?
  • Options

it takes some doing to live in a place for several years and not realise where you are

I followed the road signs to Shirley. Amazingly I didn't end up in Solihull...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Y but coming out of the train station, or parking at the hotel and walking into town, it's not immediately obvious which they are.
    That's how all the big names make their money, brand recognition and a known product - even I'd the products known to be average, that's a starting point when in a strange town. Looking for an Italian, I'd prefer to seek out a chain like Strada though.

"Celebrity" chefs often make the same mistake, of thinking that people will pay extra just for the name, even though he's never actually there. Gordon Ramsay had the same problem, of expecting people to think (and pay extra for) the food in a random restaurant with his name over the door would be as good as the food at the three-Michelin-star restaurant where he actually spends his evenings in the kitchen.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I followed the road signs to Shirley. Amazingly I didn't end up in Solihull...
    perhps because you were in it already

or was it that Shirley is a suburb of Brexit ?

who can say?

life is strange in Scottland
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    For those, like me, just catching up with the newspapers today, this is excellent on Labour's position:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/06/jeremy-corbyn-symptom-labour-party

• Options

Scott_P said:

I voted remain but respect the democratic will of the people and just want to get on with it.

HMG will follow the Supreme Court ruling and I doubt the judgement will create the constitutional crisis you seem to hope for
    If Parliament wants to interfere with fundamental rights, or to subvert the rule of law, it has to be specific, so that Parliamentarians understand what they are voting for and can face up to the political consequences.

Just as fundamental rights or the rule of law can only be abrogated by express statutory provision, a statute of fundamental constitutional importance, such as the European Communities Act 1972 itself, cannot be impliedly repealed or amended by a later ordinary statute. It has to be done expressly.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/docs/speech-161109.pdf
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And I claim my £5.

But the LibDems insisted the AV was made binding, worried that Tories might back out.

That wasn't necessary for the EU ref, since the same people who put up the referendum were expected to enact it.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Post 'rations' might be an idea.

Some people (one or two in particular) seem to be on here all day, every day, posting the same thing over and over again.
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, any constitutional crisis would be worst for Labour.

UKIP are for leaving absolutely, the Conservatives will jump through whatever legal hoops are needed and the Lib Dems are for ignoring the electorate's vote. Labour's appealing to the 0% when it comes to the EU. The longer this is *the* issue of UK politics, the worse it is for the reds.

[Of course, there's a real chance the Conservatives could implode too. But so far, despite misgivings about May, that hasn't happened].
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,942
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

We have all been shown that Labour even if they get rid of him are susceptible to hard left takeover.

Nope, not me either.
    Very true. Not only do Labour have to get rid of the rabid Corbyn dog, they then have to go into prolonged quarantine, to show that the Hard Lefty infection has gone forever, and will not return. With their membership as it is, that will be very hard.

People want £350 million extra a week for the NHS. They want the railways nationalised. If Labour shocked itself by finding someone to espouse left-wing policies who did not wince in the presence of a Union Jack they might just get a hearing. These are strange and volatile times.

• Options
    Any update on when the ruling is due? The court is in recess until the 11th, but maybe we should expect it before it sits again?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

If Parliament wants to interfere with fundamental rights, or to subvert the rule of law, it has to be specific, so that Parliamentarians understand what they are voting for and can face up to the political consequences.

Just as fundamental rights or the rule of law can only be abrogated by express statutory provision, a statute of fundamental constitutional importance, such as the European Communities Act 1972 itself, cannot be impliedly repealed or amended by a later ordinary statute. It has to be done expressly.

Is that the Supreme Court's ruling and if so when was it announced
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Isn't it impossible for Parliament to subvert the law, since they make the law?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No it's a speech made by one of the Supreme Court justices before the case was heard so might give an indication of the thinking.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Lecture :
    The Supreme Court: Guardian of the Constitution?
    Sultan Azlan Shah Lecture 2016, Kuala Lumpur
    Lady Hale, Deputy President of the Supreme Court
    9 November 2016
  • Options

For those, like me, just catching up with the newspapers today, this is excellent on Labour's position:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/06/jeremy-corbyn-symptom-labour-party

Yes, it absolutely is.

• Options

Scott_P said:

No it's a speech made by one of the Supreme Court justices before the case was heard so might give an indication of the thinking.
    Well I think we should all wait for the ruling as it is only a few weeks or even days away.

Anything else is just unnecessary speculation
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Well I think we should all wait for the ruling as it is only a few weeks or even days away.

Anything else is just unnecessary speculation
    Lady Hale would have been wise to have taken your advice ;)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Nope, not me either.
    Very true. Not only do Labour have to get rid of the rabid Corbyn dog, they then have to go into prolonged quarantine, to show that the Hard Lefty infection has gone forever, and will not return. With their membership as it is, that will be very hard.

Indeed. A key, but often forgotten part of Kinnock's contribution was to be seen to be challenging the hard left and getting them visibly thrown out, rather than simply accommodated.

Obviously a few of the strain survived in the likes of Corbyn and Abbot.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Nope, not me either.

People want £350 million extra a week for the NHS. They want the railways nationalised. If Labour shocked itself by finding someone to espouse left-wing policies who did not wince in the presence of a Union Jack they might just get a hearing. These are strange and volatile times.

Totally agree SO many would vote for that.There are many on here to complacent to see that .
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Perhaps the new Labour leader (after Corbyn) should announce something equally totemic and unexpected, but ultimately quite trivial (in the wider scheme)

Oppose the rail strikes. Like Sadiq Khan is doing
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Nope, not me either.

If...

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/817318273108897793

Regarding *that* NHS pledge, it wasn't made either by the Government or this Prime Minister, but I have a funny feeling that the money will be found down the back of Philip Hammond's sofa at some point between now and 2020. As for rail renationalisation, bad idea and irrelevant to the overwhelming majority of voters.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Yes, it absolutely is.

Yes, a very good piece. Unfortunately for Labour, not only are they still travelling in completely the wrong direction toward electability, but they still look like they a lot more travelling to do before they realise their mistake and turn around.
  • Options

Totally agree SO many would vote for that.There are many on here to complacent to see that .

As much as I dislike Sky's misery and doom coverage of events there is an article online by Ian King their economics editor who makes a strong pro privitisation and anti nationalisation case for the railways. It is worth a read
  • Options
    SeanT said:

My pal saw Dave a couple of months ago, and reports that - far from being downcast - Dave and Sam Cam are in fine fettle, and feel liberated from a role they no longer really wanted.

Intriguing.

Damning. Mr 'I thought I'd be rather good at it' wasn't up to it.
  • Options
    Alright, who are the Tories who think Corbyn would make a better PM?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

A ban on the burqa is pretty much perfect. And can be sold as a feminist gesture, too.

That's the area Labour should be looking at.

+1

Corbyn's more likely to think of a unexpected gesture like denouncing FARC instead though.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Labour won't ban the burkha. Bikinis in adverts, perhaps.

Edited extra bit: they might propose it in a decade or so, as suggested, but if it happens it's a long way off.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Nope, not me either.

No one is complacent. One day a leftwing government will return to Westminster. I just can't see it happening before 2025, barring a black swan; the maths (and Scotland) make it almost impossible.

But as SO says, these are strange times. A hideously botched Brexit could change things.

Incidentally I just had lunch with a friend who is, in turn, a friend of Dave Cameron.

My pal saw Dave a couple of months ago, and reports that - far from being downcast - Dave and Sam Cam are in fine fettle, and feel liberated from a role they no longer really wanted.

Intriguing.
    Seant interesting thought he always wanted to be PM because he would be good at it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alright, who are the Tories who think Corbyn would make a better PM?

Nikki Morgan
  • Options
    Mr. T, how many more burkha-wearing Labour voters will there be by then? With each passing year it becomes less likely.
This discussion has been closed.