Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Six months on with little information from Mrs May what should

Comments

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Surbition - if not a citizen of that country,you could always deport them.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

isam said:

It was utterly disgraceful of David Cameron not to have a contingency plan for him losing the referendum.

There was a plan, executed the morning after the vote.
    How clever of him. He never thought he could lose, and threw a strop rather than be the bigger man when he did. What a leader!
    Holding the referendum was the dumbest idea, but resigning was not only honourable but absolutely necessary.

The winners should deal with the victory !
  • Options
    This is not about Leavers v Remainers. It is about how this Tory government deals with Brexit. The problem May faces is a Tory one - reconciling the party's right with its centre. If she thought in terms of Parliament she would not have a problem, she'd get a soft Brexit through without too much difficulty, but she'd need votes from other parties to do it.

Unfortunately for all of us, she can't deliver a deal that does the best for the UK economically without upsetting the Tory right. She can't deliver one that clamps down on immigration without upsetting the centre. She has clearly decided that the right will cause her more trouble than the centre so is - rhetorically, at least - leaning towards hard Brexit.

I think plenty of Leavers would welcome Remainer input. But this seems to be a Tory and UKIP game, just as it was during the referendum, Mrs May shows no interest whatsoever in expanding the conversation and Jeremy Corbyn shows very little interest in persuading her to do so.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mark Dice
    The Muslim claiming Delta Airlines kicked him off his flight for speaking Arabic is the same YouTuber who faked an islamaphobia video in '14

Holy crap, you are suddenly concerned about the accuracy of random videos on the internet?
    Aren't these the type of things that get reported widely?
    The irony of Plato fact checking something is astounding
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,546
    edited December 2016
    isam said:

My other observation is to wonder whether we'd be hearing the all this consternation about 'hopelessly divided Britain' if Remain had won. Somehow I suspect the millions of Leave voters would have been conveniently swept under the carpet.

It was a binary choice, but the new deal has to consider the slender margin of victory. Many people may have been motivated to vote Leave by promises of strict immigration controls, but 48% of voters were happy with the Cameron deal, so something marginally stronger than that is fine.

I don't understand (slight lie, I have a pretty good idea) why Remainers have to make out that the vote means "Hard Brexit", it doesn't at all. If leavers want "hard Brexit", they will elect UKIP MP's in the areas where Leave won easily.

What we have is a lot of people who called it wrong now wishing bad on the people that called it right. Like an Arsenal fan saying he was glad Spurs made the CL so he could watch them make a mess of it, or a Spurs fan saying he was glad Arsenal won their group because they drew Bayern.
    No it doesn't. Do these people have no other political beliefs or principles than staying in the EU blob? Can they not present their wonderful plan for a Birkenstock wearing, tram-riding social democracy to the public and win approval for it via the ballot box?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited December 2016
    Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mark Dice
    The Muslim claiming Delta Airlines kicked him off his flight for speaking Arabic is the same YouTuber who faked an islamaphobia video in '14

Holy crap, you are suddenly concerned about the accuracy of random videos on the internet?

The trustworthiness or honesty of the individual who is the main subject of clip was, I believe, the target of the question.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, moral grandstanding whilst importing over a million and a half (think the figure is around 1.6-1.8m into Germany in the last couple of years) people only to then try repatriating the dodgy ones (tens of thousands?) is drunken madness.

I pity Germany. Our own migration system is far from adequate and we have serious integration problems, but Merkel's approach has meant 2% or so of Germany's population has arrived there in the last couple of years. That's just not sound.
  • Options
    As convoluted as it is, I think that leavers at least have a destination. Out. That may well be a rocky road, full of doom and gloom, war, and Boris as PM, roads paved with gold and free jackboots for everyone. Who knows?
    On the other hand, what does "Remain" look like? Where does remain go from here? You want full unfettered immigration so yer kids can go for a skinny soya latte in Paris? You want the Euro? Full on Federalisation? Maybe you want it as it was before June 23rd? A sort of half bastard in/out, unhappy mess?

It's chaos. I'm looking forward to it!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Alastair Meeks: "Since the referendum, Leavers have spent the last six months either polishing their jackboots or pretending that the referendum campaign never took place."

No, we really haven't. We have partied like a bastard, and enjoyed the Remainers going very publically mad.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopper -Top post.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Oh please like anyone on team leave would have trusted a plan set up by Cameron. You just wanted a someone else to take the blame for any dirty compromises that leave entails, so you could denounce those who did so as traitors. Sorry Leave needs to own Brexit, so they can't spend the next 20 years saying it would have been alright if they had followed their vision.

Who is this "Leave" you speak of ? Who is going to own it ? Sorry this is a load of tosh, outside the mutterings of this forum and below the line in the Guardian there is no "remain" or "leave" any more. The public has made their views known and moved on. If things go to hell it will be the (Remain voting) PM who will get it in the neck, it was ever thus.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    I hope the mayor of Copeland decides to run now, I'm on "Any other" at 250-1.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    @MarqueeMark

Speak for yourself. I love nothing more than inserting a monocle, putting on my Iron Cross, and switching on a record of German Freikorps marching songs, when I go home in the evening.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,136
    Mr Dancer - There's a risk that when the planes start leaving, British xenophobes will look ok with envy and demand that we start the deportations too.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    surbiton said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

isam said:

It was utterly disgraceful of David Cameron not to have a contingency plan for him losing the referendum.

There was a plan, executed the morning after the vote.
    How clever of him. He never thought he could lose, and threw a strop rather than be the bigger man when he did. What a leader!
    Holding the referendum was the dumbest idea, but resigning was not only honourable but absolutely necessary.

The winners should deal with the victory !
    Look how that worked out ;) But in principle you are right, although the civil service should have been allowed to prepare for both outcomes.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

@MarqueeMark

Speak for yourself. I love nothing more than inserting a monocle, putting on my Iron Cross, and switching on a record of German Freikorps marching songs, when I go home in the evening.

Where do you insert the monocle?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    philiph said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mark Dice

The trustworthiness or honesty of the individual who is the main subject of clip was, I believe, the target of the question.
    What can we expect in the era where if Joseph Goebbels ran Hello Magazine it would look like this:

https://twitter.com/donmoyn/status/810895497837871104
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,443
    edited December 2016

Sean_F said:

@Richard Nabavi, I think that's right. Most local authorities saw between 40% and 60% vote either way.

The one sub-region that does stand out is the former London County Council area where 72% voted Remain. I do think feelings run high there.

Well quite. Don't tell Nicola, but 40% of Scots voted to Leave as well, I wonder how many of those are nationalists...
    Don't forget the majority of Unionist constituencies in NI voted to Leave as well!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    @pulpstar

grrr.

I think we're chasing the same cash.

I've been fishing for 1000

;)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    As a metter of fact TFS full on Federalisation IS what I, as a long-term Remainer, want. The Euro’s problems will get sorted, and the immigration issue will slowly grind to a halt
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

@AlistairMeeks

It depends which Remainers Leave is trying to win over. Winning over most Conservative former Remainers isn't hard. Most of them are eurosceptics, who share a similar social outlook to most people who voted Leave. Winning over left wing Remainers is almost impossible, I should think. For them, all the things that eurosceptics find bad about the EU are things that they find good about it.

Other Remain voters have on this thread posted about their lack of enthusiasm for the EU but having been repulsed by the Leave campaign (and continue to be repulsed by the inability of most Leavers to acknowledge the vile nature of the campaign that won them victory). This is exactly my position.

Are these not among the Remainers that Leave should be trying to win over?

As I noted on yesterday's thread, according to that YouGov poll 43% of Remainers thought that immigration was the main reason for a Leave vote and a further 36% cited racism, xenophobia, stupidity, ignorance and misinformation. Just 8% of Remainers thought a Leave vote was about sovereignty.

You seem to be deluding yourself that there is a vast cohort of Remain voters who are on the point of having the scales fall from their eyes. There aren't. Most of them have spent the last six months having every preconception about Leave supporters reconfirmed over and over again. This is not a division that is healing. Quite the opposite.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    MTimT said:

Just ran a spreadsheet for Copeland. If all other vote shares remain the same regardless of turnout, Labour have to hold on to all their Remain voters from 2015 and at least 75% of their Leave voters (with none of the 25% going directly to the Tories) in order to hold onto this seat.

That, given Corbyn's views on nuclear power, seems like a very long shot to me.

There is every reason to believe that the Labour vote share will drop significantly. Not a collapse on the scale of Sleaford one would've thought, given that they are defending this time, but Sleaford & North Hykeham and Copeland have some important similarities. Both are predominantly rural, very white, voted by over 60% to Leave, and they are more or less on a par in terms of both median income and median age.

Copeland experienced turnout lower than the national average in both the referendum and the general election, but only by about 3%, so my guess (for one can do no more than that, of course) is that turnout will be somewhere in the low 40s. A bit better than Sleaford, due to the fact that this should be viewed as a more competitive contest. My opening guess at the eventual result is therefore:

Con 10,500
    Lab 7,000
    Ukip 4,500
    LD 3,000
    Green 1,000

(This will undoubtedly come back to bite me on the arse when Eddie Izzard wins the by-election with about 70% of all votes cast. No reason to suppose that 2017 will contain any fewer surprises than 2016!)
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sean_F said:

@MarqueeMark

:lol:

• Options
    King Cole, migration will be replaced by integration as the problem, and things will get worse.
  • Options

Mr Dancer - There's a risk that when the planes start leaving, British xenophobes will look ok with envy and demand that we start the deportations too.

If they represent less than 50% of voters, you have nothing to worry about. If they represent more than 50% of voters, thats democracy ;)
  • Options

King Cole, migration will be replaced by integration as the problem, and things will get worse.

It's not the European migrants who are going to cause any integration problems.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Sean_F said:

@MarqueeMark

Only an Iron Cross? How, other ranks.
  • Options
    @TwistedFireStopper - Remain does not look like anything. It is not happening. However, there are many kinds of Out. There is Norway Out, Switzerland Out, Canada Out, China Out, North Korea Out and plenty in between. And they are all very different. What frustrates this Remainer (or, more accurately, this individual who voted Remain) is that the government seems to be dead set against any of us participating in the conversation about what option we should aim for and how we will get what we want.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, sorry, thought we were discussing the German situation.

Mr. Indigo, some might say the barbarophobes are the ones who dislike foreigners. Xenophobes are just those who dislike their fellow countrymen. (In Greek, xenos referred to 'foreign' Greeks from another city. Barbaros referred to non-Greeks).
  • Options

As a metter of fact TFS full on Federalisation IS what I, as a long-term Remainer, want. The Euro’s problems will get sorted, and the immigration issue will slowly grind to a halt

That's fair enough. Not an outcome I'd be happy with, but at least you have a destination in mind.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

@Richard Nabavi, I think that's right. Most local authorities saw between 40% and 60% vote either way.

The one sub-region that does stand out is the former London County Council area where 72% voted Remain. I do think feelings run high there.

Well quite. Don't tell Nicola, but 40% of Scots voted to Leave as well, I wonder how many of those are nationalists...
    Don't forget the majority of Unionist constituencies in NI voted to Leave as well!
    Yes. But the piquant bit about the situation north of the border is that Nicola's pro-EU posturing in all likelihood is going to drive away enough "true independence" nationalists that want to be part of neither the UK nor the EU, to ensure she loses any referendum handily.
  • Options
    UKIP friendless, 11 / 15
  • Options

Mr. Indigo, some might say the barbarophobes are the ones who dislike foreigners. Xenophobes are just those who dislike their fellow countrymen. (In Greek, xenos referred to 'foreign' Greeks from another city. Barbaros referred to non-Greeks).

It does feel as if a straight In/Out question was p'raps a little naive......
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

UKIP friendless, 11 / 15

It might well be a different story after the pubs close.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Sean_F said:

@MarqueeMark

I enjoy DIY

• Options
    Mr glenn,only yesterday at my local health centre I heard the cry of 'Slovakian interpreter to room 12 please'
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    The winners should deal with the victory.However you have a scheming remainer in charge of the leave negotiations.It easy to understand that they expect betrayal.They will be hoping she is like a person who has just quit smoking ,and now is exteme against anyone lighting up at anytime or place.I believe she will go for a crafty drag on the remain peace pipe once big business whispers in her ear.
  • Options
    Mr Meeks,

As a lawyer, you seem to have missed entirely what is going on. As do most of the media and the Government. The EU have made it quite clear they will only have the resources to negotiate the exit agreement of article 50 first. Then, when that is finished they will start on any future trade deal. The EU expect the withdrawal document to take 2 years as it will be very contentious re EU pensions etc.

After 2 years the 5-7 year negotiation for a new treaty can start. This is when some of the points you make become valid. However, at this point we are out of the EU and on WTO terms in all likelihood and will be making the best of it. From there we have choices about what to do next, but in my world for example, everyone will just be getting on with figuring out the simplest way to get around passporting either into or out of the UK.

This is what people like to call 'Hard Brexit.' Handily, it is also what was voted for. The 2020 election will though be very exciting as it is held in the middle of this crisis - and much to your eternal annoyance, the Govt will likely prevail with a bigger majority having had (or rather, been forced to) to go full Brexit anyway.

All the EU ministers and panjarams have ruled out any transitional arrangements already; anything you hear or read about this is for the birds.
  • Options

It does feel as if a straight In/Out question was p'raps a little naive......
    dunno why that quoted you, it was for Mr Southam!
  • Options

You seem to be deluding yourself that there is a vast cohort of Remain voters who are on the point of having the scales fall from their eyes. There aren't. Most of them have spent the last six months having every preconception about Leave supporters reconfirmed over and over again. This is not a division that is healing. Quite the opposite.

If you only consider that select group in the electorate that care enough to fill in a questionnaire about the merits and shortcomings of either side of the referendum. That must be the very definition of a self selected survey sample. 99% of voters will yawns and walk on by the interviewer, the 1% of PB addicts will be pushing the button on Yougov like crazy trying to earn a few more points.
  • Options

"snip"

but Sleaford & North Hykeham and Copeland have some important similarities. Both are predominantly rural, very white, voted by over 60% to Leave, and they are more or less on a par in terms of both median income and median age.

There are crucial differences between Sleaford and Copeland.

You can't get a more conservative area than rural Lincolnshire, while Copeland is a historically Labour area more reminiscent of the Welsh Valleys than Lincolnshire.

It could end up like the Ogmore by-election.
    And even in Sleaford the swing recorded would not have been enough for the Tories to gain Copeland.

Most instant assumptions might not work in marginals.
  • Options
    I can't get used to the vanilla system!
  • Options
    Tories into odds on. If you aren't on the 5-4 with Hills by now, you'll regret it.
  • Options
    OldKingCole: "As a metter of fact TFS full on Federalisation IS what I, as a long-term Remainer, want."

Full on Federalisation Islamic State? Well, the EU is going the right....

Oh.
  • Options

@TwistedFireStopper - Remain does not look like anything. It is not happening. However, there are many kinds of Out. There is Norway Out, Switzerland Out, Canada Out, China Out, North Korea Out and plenty in between. And they are all very different. What frustrates this Remainer (or, more accurately, this individual who voted Remain) is that the government seems to be dead set against any of us participating in the conversation about what option we should aim for and how we will get what we want.

You assume that more than one or two of those are even on the table. Its entirely possible for example that government back channel discussions have basically been told to piss off, and that the only deal on offer is the Rock Hard BrExit, and they are trying to figure out how to dress it up for the voters and more to the point, how to sell it to the City.
  • Options

What have you got against poor Barbara?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    CityUnslicker - why exactly would we agree to any deal on pensions without a trade deal. No deal will be done until everything is decided - anything else involves one side foolishly throwing away leverage. We may leave without agreement in 2 years, but that wouldn't involve paying a penny for continuing liabilities unless so agreed. (whilst we're at it, why do the requests for funding of continuing liabilities never get round to discussing the continuing assets we helped pay for?)
  • Options
    @AlsoIndigo - yep, that is a fair point. If that is the case, surely the government should tell us sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Black_Rook, in a year of great surprises, Eddie Izzard was the one great rock of consistency.

Always on the wrong side of events.
  • Options
    Mr. 1983, blame the Greeks, not me.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/811582685802102784

Wonder how many more like him are on the loose?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2016
    philiph said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mark Dice

Plato has continually positively posted videos from someone (O'Keefe) who had to pay out a six figure settlement due to their deceptive, fraudulent videos.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Black_Rook, in a year of great surprises, Eddie Izzard was the one great rock of consistency.

Always on the wrong side of events.

Michael Moore was unintentionally totally correct.

https://youtu.be/YKeYbEOSqYc
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tories into odds on. If you aren't on the 5-4 with Hills by now, you'll regret it.

I think they should be about 4/9 myself.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigo: "You assume that more than one or two of those are even on the table. Its entirely possible for example that government back channel discussions have basically been told to piss off, and that the only deal on offer is the Rock Hard BrExit, and they are trying to figure out how to dress it up for the voters and more to the point, how to sell it to the City."

Rock Hard BrExit is an easy sell.

"We tried to be reasonable. We're always reasonable. But those bloody French and Germans... Cuh, eh, what are they like? Cut off their own nose to spite their face they would, every time. Well, fvck 'em, we're not coming to their rescue this time. They've made their own bed. Now they can bloody lie in. We're better off outofvit, I tell yer, and no mistake...."

"Quite right, your Majesty...."
  • Options
    Alistair said:

philiph said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

Mark Dice

Plato has continually positively posted videos from someone (O'Keefe) who had to pay out a six figure settlement due to their deceptive, fraudulent videos.
    Although that video of O'Keefe regarding payed rioters and protesters at Trump rallies was genuine and caused the Democrats involved to be fired.
  • Options
    Maarsh - the exit agreement is the terms of the divorce. The trade agreement is the new relationship. They are entirely different in law and in action. @also indigo has the measure of it below.
  • Options

You’d prefer something a little more kinky?
  • Options
    @Speedy - there is a strong union presence in Copeland that was not there in Sleaford. It is centred on Sellafield, of course, so Labour's choice of candidate will be crucial. An anti-nuclear Corbynista is likely to get very little help. A pro-nuclear local union candidate may attract more practical support with things like get out the vote. It's still a tough ask for Labour, but with the right candidate it is a possible hold.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited December 2016

isam said:

My other observation is to wonder whether we'd be hearing the all this consternation about 'hopelessly divided Britain' if Remain had won. Somehow I suspect the millions of Leave voters would have been conveniently swept under the carpet.

It was a binary choice, but the new deal has to consider the slender margin of victory. Many people may have been motivated to vote Leave by promises of strict immigration controls, but 48% of voters were happy with the Cameron deal, so something marginally stronger than that is fine.

I don't understand (slight lie, I have a pretty good idea) why Remainers have to make out that the vote means "Hard Brexit", it doesn't at all. If leavers want "hard Brexit", they will elect UKIP MP's in the areas where Leave won easily.

What we have is a lot of people who called it wrong now wishing bad on the people that called it right. Like an Arsenal fan saying he was glad Spurs made the CL so he could watch them make a mess of it, or a Spurs fan saying he was glad Arsenal won their group because they drew Bayern.
    No it doesn't. Do these people have no other political beliefs or principles than staying in the EU blob? Can they not present their wonderful plan for a Birkenstock wearing, tram-riding social democracy to the public and win approval for it via the ballot box?
    Although had Remain won 52-48 there would have been no consideration of toughening up the "deal" because it was "so close", I don't think we have to be so petty as to fail to recognise that almost half the voters were happy with DC's offering - happy enough to prefer it to leaving anyway.

So a lukewarm Leave is fair enough. If people want it to be more UKIPpy, they can vote UKIP.

Fervent Remainers are trying to provoke/suggest the harshest possible leave so they can shoot it down. People who lose like to take the gloss off the winners success, it is kids stuff. I wouldn't fall into their Batman villain style trap!
  • Options

There's something even kinkier than PB?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Rock Hard BrExit is an easy sell.

"We tried to be reasonable. We're always reasonable. But those bloody French and Germans... Cuh, eh, what are they like? Cut off their own nose to spite their face they would, every time. Well, fvck 'em, we're not coming to their rescue this time. They've made their own bed. Now they can bloody lie in. We're better off outofvit, I tell yer, and no mistake...."

"Quite right, your Majesty...."

Really, that’s their best offer? That’s the plan? To swagger into Brussels with Union Jack pants on and say: “ ’Ello luv, you’re looking nice today. Would you like some?”

When the rest of us ask how that’s really going to work, leavers reply, with Terry-Thomas smirks, that “they’re going to still really fancy us, honest, they’re gagging for us. Possibly not Merkel, but the bosses of Mercedes and those French vintners and cheesemakers, they can’t get enough of old John Bull. Of course they’re going to want to go on making the free market with two backs after we’ve got the decree nisi. Makes sense, doesn’t it?”
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    edited December 2016
    I read an article earlier today that predicted sterling would crash next March to less than parity with the dollar.

If accurate we can take strength from the brain's trust that put us there a representative sample of whom TSE has used to illustrate Alastair's fine header
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

CityUnslicker - why exactly would we agree to any deal on pensions without a trade deal. No deal will be done until everything is decided - anything else involves one side foolishly throwing away leverage.

You realise that the implication of this is that we won't leave, don't you?
  • Options

Rum and Raisin?
  • Options
    Humph

Agent of Evil
    Marine A: Sgt Alexander Blackman refused Christmas bail over #Taliban murder conviction appeal https://t.co/JQQle72eto
  • Options

There's something even kinkier than PB?

I hear TSE runs a site that is nothing but AV, all day every day...
  • Options
    WG - If no agreement is concluded within two years, that state's membership ends automatically, unless the European Council and the Member State concerned decide jointly to extend this period.

So the default is just a stark hard brexit with no alimony. The idea we'll sign up to continuing payments without quid pro quo on a trade relationship is for the birds.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I read an article earlier today that predicted sterling would crash next March to less than parity with the dollar.

If accurate we can take solace from the brain's trust that put us there a representative sample of whom TSE has used to illustrate Alastair's fine header

That's right, Rog, knock 'em dead with your pithy, sharp witted critique. Or just call them racist xenophobes.
  • Options

@Speedy - there is a strong union presence in Copeland that was not there in Sleaford. It is centred on Sellafield, of course, so Labour's choice of candidate will be crucial. An anti-nuclear Corbynista is likely to get very little help. A pro-nuclear local union candidate may attract more practical support with things like get out the vote. It's still a tough ask for Labour, but with the right candidate it is a possible hold.

Nuclear power is very unpopular in the country, it's very frustrating that there are still some antiquated special interests that support such an unpractical expensive and risky form of energy.
  • Options
    @iainjwatson: Labour's election Supremo Jon Trickett says Copeland will be a difficult by election in a tough seat.The maj is 2500 but has always been Lab
  • Options
    Roger said:

If accurate we can take solace from the brain's trust that put us there a representative sample of whom TSE has used to illustrate Alastair's fine header

Speaking of which, I think you'll find it's 'brains trust'.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

WG - If no agreement is concluded within two years, that state's membership ends automatically, unless the European Council and the Member State concerned decide jointly to extend this period.

Two questions remain unanswered:

- What are the constitutional requirements for the UK to invoke Article 50?
    - Is Article 50 unilaterally revocable?

The answers, in my view, are:

- Much more onerous than even the worst-case scenario currently envisaged.
    - Yes.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    York City @5.20 pm5.. your view of David Cameron is a load of old testes.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

You assume that more than one or two of those are even on the table. Its entirely possible for example that government back channel discussions have basically been told to piss off, and that the only deal on offer is the Rock Hard BrExit, and they are trying to figure out how to dress it up for the voters and more to the point, how to sell it to the City.
    It's also possible that different people on the continent have different views.

The Germans want to keep selling us cars.
    The French want us to keep sending the EU money, and us to keep buying French wine.
    The Spanish and the Italians want British tourists to keep coming, etc.

Some people will say "no surrender", and some people will say - as the french Finance Minister or the Swedish Foreign Minister - "lets make a deal".
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    @Speedy Sellafield isn't going to suddenly close down. If the waste from the nuclear power stations isn't processed there, it will have to be shipped overseas. Corbyn can't afford to make silly gestures to gain a few votes.
  • Options
    History
    December 21, 1968: Launch of Apollo 8 the first human spaceflight to leave Earth orbit and go to Moon. https://t.co/NC0qzgPNOB

Great video
  • Options
    Speedy said:

"snip"

but Sleaford & North Hykeham and Copeland have some important similarities. Both are predominantly rural, very white, voted by over 60% to Leave, and they are more or less on a par in terms of both median income and median age.

You can't get a more conservative area than rural Lincolnshire, while Copeland is a historically Labour area more reminiscent of the Welsh Valleys than Lincolnshire.

And even in Sleaford the swing recorded would not have been enough for the Tories to gain Copeland.

I take your point; however, Copeland is not nearly as deprived as the Welsh Valleys, and the Labour vote share has been in gentle but continuous decline there in every general election since '97 - and that's before Mr Corbyn arrived on the scene, of course. The contrast with Ogmore, retained with an absolute majority of all votes cast against a fragmented opposition, is clear. Last time, Labour held Copeland with a 6.5% lead over the Tories. The gap is eminently bridgeable.

I've assumed in my back-of-a-fag-packet calculations that the Tory vote share may go up a little, but they can, of course, still win the seat simply by hanging on to the share that they have. This doesn't even require any improvement from Ukip. If there's net churn of any more than 6.5% from Labour to the Lib Dems and Greens, and all else remains unchanged, then the seat is gone.

I think the narrative in Copeland will be one of pressure on the Tories to live up to their poll lead and win; on Ukip to show evidence of progress; and on Labour not to implode. This is not propitious territory for the Lib Dems and they were smashed there last time, so they get a free hit.
  • Options
    WG - assuming it is unilaterally revocable is a rather sad little Englander position given the treaty we've signed up to only references extension of the period as a joint agreement. There is another side involved in this discussion (i.e. the one you're rooting for).

As per the EU -

In this context, the question could be posed as to whether – once
    a Member State has notified the European Council of its intention to withdraw from the EU, and
    a withdrawal agreement has been negotiated – it can, depending on the results of the
    negotiations, unilaterally revoke its notification and suspend the withdrawal procedure. Most
    commentators argue that this is impossible or at least doubtful, from a legal point of view.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    rcs1000 said:

It's also possible that different people on the continent have different views.

The Germans want to keep selling us cars.
    The French want us to keep sending the EU money, and us to keep buying French wine.
    The Spanish and the Italians want British tourists to keep coming, etc.

Some people will say "no surrender", and some people will say - as the french Finance Minister or the Swedish Foreign Minister - "lets make a deal".
    I hope the government didn't follow your advice of trying to negotiate a deal with Alain Juppe.... I'm afraid you're clutching at straws.
  • Options

Roger said:

That's right, Rog, knock 'em dead with your pithy, sharp witted critique. Or just call them racist xenophobes.
    Rather undermined by the fact that the daft tit got his own apostrophes wrong in the very same comment.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Roger said:

Rather undermined by the fact that the daft tit got his own apostrophes wrong in the very same comment.
    Probably done on purpose :D
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    TFS

"That's right, Rog, knock 'em dead with your pithy, sharp witted critique. Or just call them racist xenophobes."

"Racist xenophobes" flatters them. Fu*king morons is more accurate.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@Speedy Sellafield isn't going to suddenly close down. If the waste from the nuclear power stations isn't processed there, it will have to be shipped overseas. Corbyn can't afford to make silly gestures to gain a few votes.

Indeed, closing down all civilian nuclear power stations first before closing down the nuclear waste plant.

Although I'm in the belief that constituencies with nuclear power plants are places where opposition to nuclear power is greatest or larger than average.
    That is why the only place I favour nuclear power is in the PM's own constituency to see if she likes it.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Roger said:

TFS

"That's right, Rog, knock 'em dead with your pithy, sharp witted critique. Or just call them racist xenophobes."

"Racist xenophobes" flatters them. Fu*king morons is more accurate.

That's right. The problem is many of them would not understand what "Racist xenophobes" means. They might like the idea that they were racists.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Speedy said:

"snip"

I take your point; however, Copeland is not nearly as deprived as the Welsh Valleys, and the Labour vote share has been in gentle but continuous decline there in every general election since '97 - and that's before Mr Corbyn arrived on the scene, of course. The contrast with Ogmore, retained with an absolute majority of all votes cast against a fragmented opposition, is clear. Last time, Labour held Copeland with a 6.5% lead over the Tories. The gap is eminently bridgeable.

I've assumed in my back-of-a-fag-packet calculations that the Tory vote share may go up a little, but they can, of course, still win the seat simply by hanging on to the share that they have. This doesn't even require any improvement from Ukip. If there's net churn of any more than 6.5% from Labour to the Lib Dems and Greens, and all else remains unchanged, then the seat is gone.

I think the narrative in Copeland will be one of pressure on the Tories to live up to their poll lead and win; on Ukip to show evidence of progress; and on Labour not to implode. This is not propitious territory for the Lib Dems and they were smashed there last time, so they get a free hit.
    I agree with all of that: the most likely outcome is that a portion (say 5-6%) of the Labour vote ends up going to the LibDems, a similar proportion goes to UKIP, and then a big chunk stays home.

The Tories should win this.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Square root do explain why. What is the successful Cameron legacy ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Skipped most of this, tbh.

If there is one overrriding proof that LEAVE was the right vote, it is the revelation whereby vile europhiles like Meeks which have been shown for what they are. Sneering scum, and essentially traitors.

I saw on twitter last night that you've been reading up about something that I have direct recent personal knowledge about. If you can avoid calling me a traitor for the duration of a conversation, I'd be willing to let you quiz me on that subject.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Indigo, greetings! I was purged at the same time as you (in a putsch against the letter I, possibly?) so I'm trying this to see what happens.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Skipped most of this, tbh.

If there is one overrriding proof that LEAVE was the right vote, it is the revelation whereby vile europhiles like Meeks which have been shown for what they are. Sneering scum, and essentially traitors.

Although I don't subscribe to your views about Meeks, I also believe that Leave was the right vote.

The messy situation in continental europe proves that everyday.
  • Options
    With Christmas almost upon us, I'm watching Deadpool again

Die Hard is on Netflix if you missed it on ITV the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vN6DHB6bJc
  • Options
    Welcome back, Mr. Z.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    By the way, The terms "Remainer" and "Leaver" are redundant. We really are all Leavers now
  • Options
    "By the way, The terms "Remainer" and "Leaver" are redundant. We really are all Leavers now"

Yep. It's all about the kind of Brexit we seek and get now.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Thank you, Mr D.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Lots of strawmen, and a dependence on the fact that Remainers think Leavers are racists and therefore Leavers need to accommodate that belief, no matter how wrong it is.

And perhaps it was written before the PM said she would set out her vision for the future early in the New Year, and well in advance of the triggering of Article 50?

Of course Leavers can regard Remainers' views about them as wrong. As I wrote in the thread header though, they need to think carefully about why Remainers have those views. And they can either suck their thumbs at the injustice of it all or seek to do something about changing those views. Since the referendum, Leavers have spent the last six months either polishing their jackboots or pretending that the referendum campaign never took place. That's not exactly rubbed balm into the wounds or changed opinions, as others on thread have noted.

If it is the settled view of Leavers that they don't need to make any effort to engage with Remainers that does at least give us clarity about where we head from here. It's a pretty bleak vision of a country that will remain divided for years to come.
    The conversations are happening. Just not with you. Most people are less bitter and obsessed about it than you. The UK voters have made their decision; the government will negotiate a deal and we'll all move on with the rest of our lives.

I'm sure you'll shout and pout and call me a racist xenophobe. I know I'm not, and people who I care about know I'm not, and I couldn't give a monkey what you think to be frank.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Indigo, greetings! I was purged at the same time as you (in a putsch against the letter I, possibly?) so I'm trying this to see what happens.

Welcome back!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    Remainers may be A problem for the success of Brexit, but at least you know where you are with them. They think the whole project is misconceived and if they could see a way around it they would take it. THE problem however is Leavers, who are sabotaging their own project. Success doesn't come from blaming others, whether Remainers or the EU - that's just excusing failure, nor does it come a refusal to compromise. Success comes from signing up Remainers and the EU to the Brexit project so the latter are happy to make it succeed.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

"snip"

I agree with all of that: the most likely outcome is that a portion (say 5-6%) of the Labour vote ends up going to the LibDems, a similar proportion goes to UKIP, and then a big chunk stays home.

The Tories should win this.
    Which, it seems, would be almost unprecedented in modern times.

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/811571638177251329
This discussion has been closed.