Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The sow’s ear, Britain’s approach to Brexit’s negotiations

124»

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Pulpstar said:

The Democrats' biggest source of wasted votes per ECV was DC at ~ 90,000 votes per ECV, MA at ~ 88k and California at ~ 77.6k.

The republicans' was Oklahoma at 75.5k, Texas was the most efficient non swing GOP state outside of Alaska (15k) at ~ 21k.

But Arizona and Texas [ also Georgia ] moving the other way.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    NickPalmer Posts: 7,850
    12:36PM
    A minor quirk of Brexit that will eventually affect me is whether English remains an official EU language. When Ireland joined, they noted that it already was, so to make nationalist voters happy, I understand that they declared their language to be Gaelic. Consequently, all important documents are translated into English for us and into Gaelic for Ireland. When Britain withdraws, there will be no EU countries claiming English as their native language, yet it's the second language for the great majority of businesses and politicians, and Irish politicians especially will I suspect not all really welcome having to read everything in Gaelic...
    Flag · Off Topic

Malta has two official languages, Maltese and English.

I think only France would try to make French the main EU language and most countries would say 'sod off'.

If English is phased out, simultaneous translation will become far more expensive, as all possible combinations will need a translator; surely, today, some people are happy to listen in English? Will France pay?!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @NickPalmer

That is lovely, Nick. How many people let alone politicians in Ireland actually speak Gaelic, I wonder. I suspect damn few. Which raises the wonderful spectre of the EU translating documents, that were hammered out in English (that being the lingua franca of Europe), into Gaelic only for the Irish taxpayer to pay for them to be re-translated into English so that people can actually read them. A situation worthy of Jaroslav Hašek.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    That £4 coffee comment. Is she a London MP? I suspect so....Labour are now the middle class party. Like the Democrats. Not bad thing in itself but they should own it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

The issue is that trade deals that benefit the EU as a whole aren't necessarily in the UK's interest.

For instance - and I've asked this question 4 times but no one has ever responded - why was it in the UK's interest for the EU to agree a Mercosur deal which opened our beef producers to competition from Argentina so that Italian/German engineers could sell their products to Brazil?

It's in the UK consumer's interests to have a wide choice of suppliers of different types.

More fundamentally, the existence of pastoral farming within the M25 while we also have a chronic undersupply of new housing shows evidence of a systemic failure.
    It is, and I would look at doing that deal if the benefits accrued to the UK as well as the costs. Thus a trade off on, for example, whisky or insurance or specialty engineering might have made sense for us. A deal whereby we suffer the costs and don't get the benefits doesn't make sense for the UK as whole

(and premium beef production - like we compete with Latin America in - isn't the kind of pastoral farming you get inside the M25. But, I agree, the fetishisation of the green belt is not good policy when we have a housing shortage)
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited December 2016
    OT Given how flush many PBers are - and discussions on spending a few quid - I've been prodded into giving a bit more this Christmas to causes that get under my skin.

My choices this year so far are Mayhew Animal Centre for Christmas dinners and pet toys, Lurcher SOS for kennels, the Sally Army re homeless festive cheer, Hope Pastures for rescue ponies/donkey feed and blankets - and Wikipedia given how often it gets cited here :wink:

• Options
    Surely today's big news is Liam Fox setting conditions for accepting a transitional deal ? Which means he's accepting the principle of a transitional deal. Which means Hammond is winning.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2016
    nunu said:

That £4 coffee comment. Is she a London MP? I suspect so....Labour are now the middle class party. Like the Democrats. Not bad thing in itself but they should own it.

I would say it is the sort of thing back in the day Tory MPs got in trouble for....but then these days £4 coffee is the pleb rate in London, even Starbucks are now starting to open "upmarket" stores which charge ~$15 a cup in the US (and will be coming here).

Again not sure the voters of Stoke, Sunderland, et al. think like that.
  • Options
    I live in deepest Leaverstan and £4 won't buy you most Coffee/Croissant combinations in that bastion of the elite Costa Coffee. Also the idea that " most " people in Britain ( 51%) can't afford to buy fripperies like Coffee and Croissants is absurd. They can and they do. So Catherine West is right. However so is @Plato There will be plenty of people in Britain for whom £4 is several days worth of food.

These two things aren't mutually exclusive and saying they is a fauxtrage.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

The Democrats' biggest source of wasted votes per ECV was DC at ~ 90,000 votes per ECV, MA at ~ 88k and California at ~ 77.6k.

The republicans' was Oklahoma at 75.5k, Texas was the most efficient non swing GOP state outside of Alaska (15k) at ~ 21k.

Texas increases the Democrat's "wrong winner" problem in the medium term as it becomes an increasingly efficient source of votes for the GOP, it is a long way off becoming actually DEM.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2016
    MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

@another_richard,

The problem being that our cars are now better washed for less money?

But with lower capital formation and lower productivity...
    So what? The point is that my experience as a consumer is improved.

As Mrs Thatcher said "people keep talking to me about producers, I do wish they would talk more about consumers"
    Polish plumbers give excellent cost effective service, and for every annoyed British plumber tbere are 200 happy customers.
    Isn't that a lazy stereotype?
    Yes.

I know someone who owns a Pimlico Plumbers type business and that stereotype is bollocks. They are sceptical as to how much of an impact European migration has had on British plumbers. Well certainly in the high end market the impact has been minimal. Carpenters on the other hand have seen massive wage suppression.

The meme that Polish plumbers = high quality and British plumbers = rubbish is not only highly offensive but also complete crap.
    My own plumber is British, my point being to illustrate that there are a larger number of consumers who benefit from European migration than Britons inconvenienced by competition.

The same is true of plumbers as nurses, doctors, hotel receptionists and cleaners.
  • Options

I live in deepest Leaverstan and £4 won't buy you most Coffee/Croissant combinations in that bastion of the elite Costa Coffee. Also the idea that " most " people in Britain ( 51%) can't afford to buy fripperies like Coffee and Croissants is absurd. They can and they do. So Catherine West is right. However so is @Plato There will be plenty of people in Britain for whom £4 is several days worth of food.

For what it's worth, switching to instant coffee has saved me about £1,500 per year. That's a worthwhile amount of money that can be spent on more productive uses.
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    On the theme of the EU, I was watching the TV quiz "Pointless" this week and there was a round on the EU. The ignorance of the contestants was abysmal. Examples: Question: Which county in the EU is the largest in geographic area? Answer: The Netherlands. Question: Which country became a republic after its monarchy was abolished in 1973? Answer: The Czech Republic.

I felt a sense of despair.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

nunu said:

I would say it is the sort of thing back in the day Tory MPs got in trouble for....but then these days £4 coffee is the pleb rate in London, even Starbucks are now starting to open "upmarket" stores which charge ~$15 a cup in the US (and will be coming here).

I find this bizarre - I've never willingly bought anything in Costa or Starbucks. I've swallowed my WTF and bought a cup/cake for a colleague because it was expected in London and I was polite. I saw the £5 I handed over as two bags of Go-Cat or more.

Being handed a cup of boiling water and a tea bag isn't worth more than pence in value - the rest is rent, labour, mark-up, marketing. It's a fashion market I simply don't understand at all.
  • Options
    @PlatoSaid

The Salvation Army and the RNLI are now the only large, well-known, charities I will give to. I do give money and time to a couple of local charities and to the Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society (now, for some reason that I struggle to understand, re-named "Combat Stress").

As for the rest of the so called third-sector, they can go piss-up a rope as far as I am concerned. Any charity that pays its senior executives six figure salaries and has handsome headquarters buildings has got serious questions to answer.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Speaking of stereotypes, Plato's charity choices conform very nicely.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/17/donald-trump-china-unpresidented-act-us-navy-drone

This happens when you elect a semi-literate person as your President [ or , should I say, Precedent ]
  • Options
    @Dadge

"Speaking of stereotypes, Plato's charity choices conform very nicely."

Conform with what, precisely?
  • Options

In the Leicester Royal Infirmary WRVS shop (hardly a bastion of the metropolitan elite!) Coffee and a Croissant are about £4. They seem to have plenty of WWC customers, perhaps this Labour MP gets out more that the passengers on the PB outrage bus...
  • Options
    SandraM said:

On the theme of the EU, I was watching the TV quiz "Pointless" this week and there was a round on the EU. The ignorance of the contestants was abysmal. Examples: Question: Which county in the EU is the largest in geographic area? Answer: The Netherlands. Question: Which country became a republic after its monarchy was abolished in 1973? Answer: The Czech Republic.

Thank you for giving me an excuse to post this :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7qO_RCnWA

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

I find this bizarre - I've never willingly bought anything in Costa or Starbucks. I've swallowed my WTF and bought a cup/cake for a colleague because it was expected in London and I was polite. I saw the £5 I handed over as two bags of Go-Cat or more.

Being handed a cup of boiling water and a tea bag isn't worth more than pence in value - the rest is rent, labour, mark-up, marketing. It's a fashion market I simply don't understand at all.
    Convenience can sometimes make it worthwhile, but not often
  • Options
    "In the Leicester Royal Infirmary WRVS shop (hardly a bastion of the metropolitan elite!) Coffee and a Croissant are about £4."

You are having a laugh, Doc. A cup of tea in the WRVS shop at the outpatients department of the Royal Sussex County Hospital costs 75p.
  • Options

@PlatoSaid

The Salvation Army and the RNLI are now the only large, well-known, charities I will give to. I do give money and time to a couple of local charities and to the Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society (now, for some reason that I struggle to understand, re-named "Combat Stress").

As for the rest of the so called third-sector, they can go piss-up a rope as far as I am concerned. Any charity that pays its senior executives six figure salaries and has handsome headquarters buildings has got serious questions to answer.

*ahem*

Admittedly we only our CEO a high 5 figure salary, but our HQ is rather handsome.

I still think we do good things. Hopefully you can come to our Sussex Modernism show -

http://www.twotempleplace.org/exhibitions/2017-2/
  • Options
    Charles said:

For what it's worth, switching to instant coffee has saved me about £1,500 per year. That's a worthwhile amount of money that can be spent on more productive uses.
    Switch to tea and save even more.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Charles said:

Switch to tea and save even more.
    Probably. But I like coffee (and my office provides instant for free...)
  • Options
    The Salvation Army always gets money from me. Wonderful, selfless people doing inspiring things. Ditto the RNLI.
  • Options

"In the Leicester Royal Infirmary WRVS shop (hardly a bastion of the metropolitan elite!) Coffee and a Croissant are about £4."

You are having a laugh, Doc. A cup of tea in the WRVS shop at the outpatients department of the Royal Sussex County Hospital costs 75p.

Not in Leicester!

Mostly because the Trust now charges more from its concessions I expect, coffee is even more expensive in the privatised hospital canteen.

• Options

@PlatoSaid

I went to the Eastbourne Sally Army with a friend who works in local mental health - a really lovely bunch of volunteers and saw so many lost people who were trying to get back on track. I used to buy street homeless lunches - but frankly round here they get swamped, so it seemed more sensible to spend the same with the Sally Army.

I avoid all the big charities - Mayhew got a pass because an ex-collegue volunteers almost every day there and I see her Facebook location status. The others just seemed like genuinely kind hearts on Twitter and after seeing their efforts, I coughed up a few hundred to keep them going.

For longer standing PBers, they'll know I ran an informal animal rescue with all sorts of lost causes from horses to goats, I think we'd about 50 residents at our peak - I guess we can spot each other even from a distance.
  • Options
    Grumpy PB social conservatives should consider donating food to the local foodbank. If you drop it off in Tescos ( you don't have to buy it there ) they'll add 20% of the value ( on a weight based formula ) in for form a store credit themselves.

It's a good cause and by donating Food not cash you aren't paying anyone's salary.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    SandraM said:

You know, I'd have gone for France as the largest EU country based on its overseas departments. I'd assumed that Germany, France and Spain were all very similar in extent. But I hadn't realised how much bigger mainland France is than Germany.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Speaking of stereotypes, Plato's charity choices conform very nicely.

What stereotype is that? I'm intrigued.
  • Options
    Another charitable option that would suit PBers is Survey Monkey Contribute. It's like a You Gov but they pay 50p per survey completed to a charity of your choice from a short list ( which include the RNLI ).

They surveys tend to be infrequent but they are always short sometimes very short.
  • Options
    @Charles

"Sussex Modernism show"

Frankly, old chap, I would sooner spend the time sticking red hot needles into my eyes or even walk round the Tate Modern.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    rcs1000 said:

SandraM said:

You know, I'd have gone for France as the largest EU country based on its overseas departments. I'd assumed that Germany, France and Spain were all very similar in extent. But I hadn't realised how much bigger mainland France is than Germany.
    Sweden is pretty big too.

*just checked at tbe LRI WRVS cafe: Latte is £2, their croissants are 85p, but a little puny.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

nunu said:

Here in Southern Spain we pay €1.20-50 for excellent coffee + water + on + pastries - the sun and the sea are gratis! :)
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Dadge said:

Speaking of Stereos, Plato's charity choices conform very nicely.

What stereotype is that? I'm intrigued.
    It's a shame that caring for animals, the homeless and an appreciation for spreading knowledge isn't more stereotypical .
  • Options

IIRC, I paid £1.50 for 3 cups of tea at the local Sally Army.

Dr Fox has a world view of many things that I find increasingly unbelievable, and as time has gone on - framed by his political views.

The notion that those who voted another way should suffer as he's 'All Right Jack' just confirmed my doubts. If he wasn't a medical doctor but anyone else - we'd not offer him so much slack. I no longer do.
  • Options
    @felix

Southern Spain is very good value. Madrid, less so.
  • Options

@Charles

"Sussex Modernism show"

Frankly, old chap, I would sooner spend the time sticking red hot needles into my eyes or even walk round the Tate Modern.

These are pieces from your local museums in Sussex - working to try and make them more visible to people nationally & to encourage best practice in regional museums.
  • Options
    @FoxinSox

"Mostly because the Trust now charges more from its concessions..."

Hang on! Since when did the WRVS providing refreshments for people waiting (often for bloody hours) become a concession? If you want an example of how the NHS has lost its way that must surely be it.
  • Options
    If you don't already use a cash back site for internet shopping then both Give as you live and Easy Fundraising are a boon for microcharities. They both have search facilities and have thousands of local and niche charities signed up. Everyone will be able to find a snall cause they like as well as the National big brand charities.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Dr Fox has a world view of many things that I find increasingly unbelievable, and as time has gone on - framed by his political views.

The notion that those who voted another way should suffer as he's 'All Right Jack' just confirmed my doubts. If he wasn't a medical doctor but anyone else - we'd not offer him so much slack. I no longer do.
    I think the cost in hospital coffee shops largely depends on what the hospital is charging for rent, etc. In all likelihood, the LRI simply charges a lot more rent than the Royal Sussex, and their prices reflect this.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    rcs1000 said:

@felix

Southern Spain is very good value. Madrid, less so.

Madrid is also much colder in winter than a lot of the UK and way too hot in the summer.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

@NickPalmer

That is lovely, Nick. How many people let alone politicians in Ireland actually speak Gaelic, I wonder. I suspect damn few. Which raises the wonderful spectre of the EU translating documents, that were hammered out in English (that being the lingua franca of Europe), into Gaelic only for the Irish taxpayer to pay for them to be re-translated into English so that people can actually read them. A situation worthy of Jaroslav Hašek.

Most will speak it to a point. Many better than that.
  • Options
    Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

I was thinking about that last Friday - I couldn't be arsed to cook and fancied a pizza. I went to Domino's website and they wanted £19 for a pizza delivered. Nope. I dug around in the freezer, deep fried some roast potatoes/chicken breast/covered them in Bisto Best gravy. That took about 8 mins of effort and yummy if basic.

I just can't spend almost folding money on nothing - it's not as if high st tea/coffee/cake is nice - it's horrible.
  • Options
    Also many small charities have Amazon Affiliate links. Book marking one is easy. I alternate between this one https://www.dur.ac.uk/durham.palestine/ , some nuns in Herefordshire and my old College.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    YS: "I live in deepest Leaverstan and £4 won't buy you most Coffee/Croissant combinations in that bastion of the elite Costa Coffee. Also the idea that " most " people in Britain ( 51%) can't afford to buy fripperies like Coffee and Croissants is absurd. They can and they do. So Catherine West is right. However so is @Plato There will be plenty of people in Britain for whom £4 is several days worth of food.

These two things aren't mutually exclusive and saying they is a fauxtrage. "

Fauxtrage is a wonderful word. Leave out the uxt to get its primary exponent.

Most people get by on pretty minimised costs and then splurge on something if they can.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Convenience, an easy place to meet people out of the office and, perhaps, on neutral territory.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I can confirm that what the good doctor says is true. I'm spending far too much time and money in the LRI visiting or taking various family members to appointments. And don't get me started on the bloody car parking fees!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    IanB2 said:

Lol @ Catherine West Labour MP for Hornsey: "£4 is a coffee and croissant for most people".

More silly London elitism.

Everyone round here knows you've been swindled if you pay more than £2.50 for that :wink:

Joking apart, it did remind me somewhat of the famous moment a QC asked the jury in the Lady Chatterley trial (1960) whether it was the sort of book they would like their wife or their servant to read.
  • Options
    @Felix - what was that old saying about Madrid? Six months of winter and six months of hell.

Madrid feels a lot cheaper than it did a few years ago. Ditto Barcelona.
  • Options
    Another old Spanish saying:

The cuisine in Spain is like the weather - in the north you boil, in the centre you roast and in the south you fry.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    PlatoSaid said:

The point being that at the moment the choice of whether we are crippled lies with someone else with no means of us preventing it. I would advocate that any situation where we make - and more importantly can unmake - that decision ourselves has to be better. Of course I clearly don't share your poor view of the UK population to make the right choice nor of its governments to lead. I certainly trust both a lot more than the EU whose decisions may well have nothing to do with our welfare at all.

I can think of a great example to test our ability to unmake a decision that has nothing to do with our welfare...
    Mr Glenn, I dimly recall you outlining your support for the EU and Trump a while ago - can you do so again? It's a rarity on PB - possibly unique amongst regular posters, and very useful to understand.
    I managed to find the previous post regarding this - http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1296173/#Comment_1296173

I supported Trump from late 2015 primarily because of his willingness to cut through dogma on US foreign and economic policy and instead based his approach on a more common-sense understanding of US interests. I think it's been US failures from questions such as Iraq to post 9/11 monetary policy that have been at the root of the current discontent across the West far more than the EU. At its core I see the EU as a similarly common sense construct - Europe needs a permanent political framework in which the states can work together for their mutual benefit.
  • Options
    If you've a PayPal account and the app they've just launched a " Support a Cause " function. It has a search facility is stuff full of small local charities noone has ever heard of.
  • Options

Grumpy PB social conservatives should consider donating food to the local foodbank. If you drop it off in Tescos ( you don't have to buy it there ) they'll add 20% of the value ( on a weight based formula ) in for form a store credit themselves.

It's a good cause and by donating Food not cash you aren't paying anyone's salary.

Ewww - what an unnecessary opening remark.

Double Urgh in fact.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I fail to understand why people waste so much money on coffee. They spend upwards of £2 a time for a coffee in somewhere like Costa's and probably more than once a day. If you add that up over a year its a frightening sum, probably a couple pf months mortgage payments. I avoid these establishments , I think holding a coffee is a similar habit to having to have ones phone in ones hand whilst gawping at it.
  • Options
    @PlatoSaid It was a practical and evidence based response to the scepticism below of large charities. It's just a fact that if you donate Food not cash 100% of it seems passed on.

I could just have slagged off the absurd view that something like Oxfam or the NSPCC being large, complex and popular is bad I thing. I was being constructive.
  • Options
    "Aleppo battle: Rebels burn Syria evacuation buses"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38358177

Several buses en route to evacuate the sick and injured from two government-held villages in Syria's Idlib province have been burned by rebels. The convoy was travelling to Foah and Kefraya, besieged by rebel fighters. Pro-government forces are demanding people be allowed to leave the mainly Shia villages in order for the evacuation of east Aleppo to continue. Thousands of people are waiting to leave in desperate conditions, reports say.

... However, UK-based monitoring group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported earlier that the rebel group Jabhat Fatah al-Sham, formerly known as the Nusra Front, was preventing buses entering Foah and Kefraya.

Not exactly winning the battle for Western hearts and minds, are these rebels?

I have a feeling that mainstream Western sentiment on the issue is passed from "Assad is a brutal dictator, why aren't we helping topple him?" to "Why are we not standing up to the Russians and Iranians over what they're doing in Syria?" to a resigned just-make-it-stop sigh of "Well, 'tis better it were done quickly".

I wonder what bottom line the Saudis will accept. I think that probably matters more now than what folk think in Washington, let alone Brussels.
  • Options
    Charles said:

@Charles

"Sussex Modernism show"

These are pieces from your local museums in Sussex - working to try and make them more visible to people nationally & to encourage best practice in regional museums.
    Charles said:

@Charles

"Sussex Modernism show"

I'm largely with @HurstLlama - bar a very small number of pieces, I detest modern art for it's lack of depth, competence and insight. I see a great deal of LOOK AT ME, deliberate fashionable clickbait and phoney sincerity/political right-on.

These people aren't suffering threats or persecution - they're sucking up to identity politics arts columnists in the Guardian - and aching for a review/tax payer earnings to subsidise their egos.
  • Options
    @SquareRoot

Indeed. I think you might enjoy:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/demotivator/

Though I'll quite often use a cafe as a neutral location for meeting a client in London, I wouldn't go to one voluntarily.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2016
    Yep, Islamists certainly want peace. The Guardian et al will be asking for donations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38358177

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38356058

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-38341539

and the above only on one BBC page today. Merry Christmas all.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited December 2016
    I had to do a double take at seeing the Mayhew get mentioned on here. It's where we adopted our cat ten years ago.

@Stark_Dawning LOL at the shade you've just thrown at people on this site.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited December 2016
    @MBE

I wouldn't use that argument about the red wine I buy and drink.. ;)
  • Options

YS: "I live in deepest Leaverstan and £4 won't buy you most Coffee/Croissant combinations in that bastion of the elite Costa Coffee. Also the idea that " most " people in Britain ( 51%) can't afford to buy fripperies like Coffee and Croissants is absurd. They can and they do. So Catherine West is right. However so is @Plato There will be plenty of people in Britain for whom £4 is several days worth of food.

These two things aren't mutually exclusive and saying they is a fauxtrage. "

Fauxtrage is a wonderful word. Leave out the uxt to get its primary exponent.

Most people get by on pretty minimised costs and then splurge on something if they can.

The cost of a packet of ciggies is outrageous now, yet smoking rates are inversely related to income. 90% of homeless people smoke and 50% of single mothers. I don't cite this as evidence of fecklessness, more that the simple pleasures of sharing a smoke or a coffee are often the only affordable socially interactive pleasures avaliable. A moment to forget troubles and live like other people do.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

The point being that at the moment the choice of whether we are crippled lies with someone else with no means of us preventing it. I would advocate that any situation where we make - and more importantly can unmake - that decision ourselves has to be better. Of course I clearly don't share your poor view of the UK population to make the right choice nor of its governments to lead. I certainly trust both a lot more than the EU whose decisions may well have nothing to do with our welfare at all.

I can think of a great example to test our ability to unmake a decision that has nothing to do with our welfare...
    Mr Glenn, I dimly recall you outlining your support for the EU and Trump a while ago - can you do so again? It's a rarity on PB - possibly unique amongst regular posters, and very useful to understand.
    I managed to find the previous post regarding this - http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1296173/#Comment_1296173

I supported Trump from late 2015 primarily because of his willingness to cut through dogma on US foreign and economic policy and instead based his approach on a more common-sense understanding of US interests. I think it's been US failures from questions such as Iraq to post 9/11 monetary policy that have been at the root of the current discontent across the West far more than the EU. At its core I see the EU as a similarly common sense construct - Europe needs a permanent political framework in which the states can work together for their mutual benefit.
    Many thanks - will read it again.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

@Charles

"Sussex Modernism show"

I'm largely with @HurstLlama - bar a very small number of pieces, I detest modern art for it's lack of depth, competence and insight. I see a great deal of LOOK AT ME, deliberate fashionable clickbait and phoney sincerity/political right-on.

These people aren't suffering threats or persecution - they're sucking up to identity politics arts columnists in the Guardian - and aching for a review/tax payer earnings to subsidise their egos.
    Modernism isn't the same as Modern Art :wink:

It's looking at the Bloomsbury group (Virginia Woolf et al) who used to spend the summers and weekends at their country houses in Sussex & the impact that it had on their work.

Pieces by Lee Miller, Salavdor Dali, etc. Mainly from the 1920s and 1930s
  • Options
    Finally the M & S loyalty card Sparks is an interesting model. There are no redeemable points as such but if you register they pay 1p per transaction ( of £1 or more ) to a charity of your choice ( from a list of ten but there is something for everyone ). And they offer an intriguing amount of real time data. On the web you can view the weekly updated total and a pie chart showing the split between the 10 charities.
  • Options
    @Charles

"These are pieces from your local museums in Sussex - working to try and make them more visible to people nationally & to encourage best practice in regional museums."

Fair go, but the Sussex Modernism stuff is still in my view pretentious rubbish that I would not spend my time, let alone my money, going to view. I say that having spent a day on the Watts Gallery.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited December 2016
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Are they?

In this election they did, but there is no trend.

Here is the deviation from the national average for those 3 since 1992:

1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016

Texas +9 GOP, +14, +22, +19, +19, +20, +11
    Arizona +8, +7, +7, +8, +16, +13, +6
    Georgia +5, +10, +11, +14, +12, +12, +7

Almost all states actually have moved depending on the regional candidate but the afterglow waves after a few elections (Texas=Bush), (Arkansas=Bill Clinton),(Arizona=McCain) can last a bit.

The only states where there is a legitimate long term move are Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, California, Maryland, Virginia,Vermont and West Virginia.

S.Carolina has the record in long term stability, being somewhere between +14 GOP and +17 GOP since 1988.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    Charles said:

:hushed:

Charles, please tell me that switch and saving is for your bank as a whole and not you personally.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Lol @ Catherine West Labour MP for Hornsey: "£4 is a coffee and croissant for most people".

£4 is a coffee, cheeseburger and chips at McDonalds.
    And their coffee is superb.

MPs are overpaid..
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

• Options

IanB2 said:

£4 is a coffee, cheeseburger and chips at McDonalds.
    And their coffee is superb.

MPs are overpaid..
    +1. McDonalds Coffee, along with their Hot Chocolate is great.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

@Charles

"Sussex Modernism show"

It's looking at the Bloomsbury group (Virginia Woolf et al) who used to spend the summers and weekends at their country houses in Sussex & the impact that it had on their work.

Dali is a star in my book - his stuff is incredible up close. And tiny for its detail/expert execution. Some things need to be seen in the flesh so to speak.

I can't agree re Woolf - she's core Guardian. As were her mates.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    @Plato earlier

Your good works with charity, mental health and animal welfare seem somewhat juxtaposed to your Trump/Brexit/Anti Islam teeth gnashing
  • Options
    Four pounds will also buy you a splendid book, by me:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingdom-Asunder-Bloody-Crown-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B01N8UF799/

[I do apologise but the opportunity was too good to ignore].
  • Options
    Mr. Tyson, nothing is harder to see into than people's nature [Zhuge Liang - Knowing People].
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    @ Speedy Very useful figures and trend information. Thanks
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Is there a plan to see the return of the quote button, or is it gone for good? IMO it greatly facilitates conversation and hence the attractiveness of this site. PB seems much diminished without it.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Excuse me going slightly off topic, but does anyone know where the data this article about increased support for the EU across following Brexit comes from?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eu-approval-european-union-brexit-popularity-uk-bertelsmann-foundation-a7430266.html
  • Options
    Oh and finally finally to link the themes of discretionary coffee and small charities the Pret Foundation is fantastic. They've stuck at the same cause since they were launched - homelessness - and the same response - nutrition. Loose change donated in store funds the vans that transport all the end of day unused food to charities as well as a grant programme for food in Homeless charities. Kitchen improvements, catering staff, cookery skills courses etc.
  • Options

Finally the M & S loyalty card Sparks is an interesting model. There are no redeemable points as such but if you register they pay 1p per transaction ( of £1 or more ) to a charity of your choice ( from a list of ten but there is something for everyone ). And they offer an intriguing amount of real time data. On the web you can view the weekly updated total and a pie chart showing the split between the 10 charities.

Why not just give real money to charities you find appealing/worthy? You'd know you've contributed to them with no vested interest and can be sure your money ended up there - and how much.

Giffgaff are my mobile operator and do something similar to M&S - but I don't see that as an alternative to giving myself. It's nice CSR from them - but nothing from me.
  • Options

I had to do a double take at seeing the Mayhew get mentioned on here. It's where we adopted our cat ten years ago.

Mayhew were the subject of their own TV documentary series - why is it a surprise they're well known? Think it was on ITV last year or so.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

@chestnut - British expats in the eu are getting all those services for free too. The problem with tax credits, to the extent it exists, is a domestic policy problem, not an eu one.

That's incorrect , I'm afraid.

Equal treatment of EU citizens within the UK welfare system is an EU issue. It isn't peculiar to tax credits either, it touches universal and means tested benefits.

The scale of payouts differs vastly as well across nations.

The only solution anyone is able to offer in the absence of a citizenship option is to base entitlement on contributions. The problem with that is many British people would be left destitute, That is not a price worth paying to be in the EU.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

£4 would leave ample change in a normal bakery. Try one.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

That's really weird. My teenage daughter explained the phrase "throwing shade" to me only yesterday. I had never heard it before and here it is on PB.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

@Charles

"Sussex Modernism show"

Best practise is to do guided tours. In my opinion - but I think I'm right. A tour guide can give context, enlighten, fascinate, engage the audience with a story. Without that, it's just 'oh that's nice'. I'd rather get a guided tour around a small gallery than wander around halls full of great works under my own steam.
This discussion has been closed.