Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Article 50 can’t be invoked, surely, without the country knowi

Comments

• Options
    The quote function has disappeared – do we need to activate A50 to negotiate its return?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Quote function doesn't seem to be working for me.

I'm trying to make it work manually.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The quote function has disappeared – do we need to activate A50 to negotiate its return?

working here
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    TA 2018, in between presidential elections
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited December 2016

It's here on the Vanilla website but not on the main PB website. Weird one, Vanilla API change maybe? Paging @rcs1000.

Vanilla link to this thread http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4387/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-article-50-can-t-be-invoked-surely-without-the-country-knowi/p3
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    Quoting was working fine for me a couple of minutes ago but now the button has disappeared.
    I have never had a "Reply" button. Only Quote, Flag and Off Topic.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Speedy Blairism though is not only represented within a small minority in Labour but also in Cameroon Toryism and in the LDs (excluding the Iraq War)
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Just put:

<//blockquote class="Quote" rel="name of person you reply too"> his text goes here<///blockquote> at the beginning of the reply.

Get rid the extra 2 // as well.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    edited December 2016
    MrsB said:

Quoting was working fine for me a couple of minutes ago but now the button has disappeared.
    I have never had a "Reply" button. Only Quote, Flag and Off Topic.

I clicked the time stamp under your comment, which took me to Vanilla and replied from there
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    HYUFD said:

Speedy Blairism though is not only represented within a small minority in Labour but also in Cameroon Toryism and in the LDs (excluding the Iraq War)

Blairism is just a form of Authoritarian Liberalism, it's a niche field here but quite prevalent in continental europe and the source of most of it's ills.

P.S.

My manual solution to repair the quote function works.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    Barnesian said:

@cyclefree "It may be an obsession to some but those questions are, IMO anyway, highly relevant to the state of our politics today. Without a credible opposition we do not have a well functioning Parliamentary system of government. "

Corbyn's relationship with Sinn Fein has nothing to do with him failing to lead a credible opposition and everything to do with the fact that he is really crap at leadership.

A person who has poor judgment is not going to make a good leader. Corbyn's poor judgment is one reason why he is "really crap at leadership".
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Jeremy Corbyn confirmed to senior Labour MPs tonight that Sinn Fein staffer Jayne Fisher will be working in his office from next month.

Is this news ? Martin McGuiness is the Deputy Leader of Sinn Fein. He had lunch with the Queen. Should she be ashamed ? Should she abdicate ?

Jayne Fisher, whoever she is, probably was not even born when the troubles started in NI. I don't know.
    The Queen probably didn't want to start the troubles again by refusing to meet him. I doubt she would employ him or have him in the office though.
    The Queen had no option but to act on the advice of her Ministers.

Corbyn, on the other hand, has a choice. He was on the side of the terrorists. He wanted them to win and he voted against one of the agreements reached to try and end the Troubles. (This last comment is directed at Surbiton, who doesn't seem to understand the difference between what HMQ has to do and what the LoTo chooses to do.)

The Queen can use the Royal Prerogative. If she had strong views, she would have expressed them. She isn't a wilting violet.

This discussion of Corbyn appointing some Sinn Fein staffer is a bit desperate. There are far better grounds for criticising Corbyn that would gain more traction than this niche whine.
    It's not exactly going to boost Corbyn.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Barnesian said:

@cyclefree "It may be an obsession to some but those questions are, IMO anyway, highly relevant to the state of our politics today. Without a credible opposition we do not have a well functioning Parliamentary system of government. "

Corbyn's relationship with Sinn Fein has nothing to do with him failing to lead a credible opposition and everything to do with the fact that he is really crap at leadership.

It has something to do with him being a shit.
  • Options
    Hillary is spending her presidential campaign money throwing a party, salt in wounds:

https://twitter.com/redsteeze/status/809043917001859072
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Charles said:

@isam

On meeting HMQ McGuiness asked "How are you?"

HMQ's respinse: "Can't complain. I'm still alive."

Beautiful!

Classic Liz! Through gritted teeth I'd imagine
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Jeremy Corbyn confirmed to senior Labour MPs tonight that Sinn Fein staffer Jayne Fisher will be working in his office from next month.

As my wife just said 'traitor'
    What does she call the Queen?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/queen-jokes-with-sinn-fein-politician-martin-mcguinness-that-shes-still-alive-a7107056.html

As noted downthread, she acts under advice from her ministers. What better way to defuse a probably extremely awkward situation than with a few jokes.
    The IRA murdered her husband's uncle. She has been Queen for over sixty years. Most ministers weren't born when she became Queen. I'm sure she was closely consulted on this matter and not simply told what to do. She decided to shake hands with McGuinness. Time to move on.

I must say that several contributors to this board who I greatly admire for their well argued well written contributions lose a little bit of credibility when they obsess over Corbyn and Sinn Fein. They are flogging a very dead horse.

What's dead are the people the IRA killed, the people who have been disappeared, the injured who are still living with their injuries and pain to this day and the families. Just because NI has vanished from our screens and someone can get invited to a state banquet does not mean that the effects of 30 years of violence have gone.

(Snip)
    Hesitant as I am to disagree with you twice in one day, Ms Free, and despite being against the IRA's actions, might it be best to get the lady's views on things before being so forthright? There has been many years of peace now.

I worked for a while at a trade union organisation, and that does not make a raving leftie (and neither were many of the people working there).
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Sorry Mrs B I meant quote button not reply and either way I don't have one whatever it's called.

ScottP says it's working north of the border so it must be just little Englanders that don't have it.

Wales always gets ignored of course.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    DavidL said:

Surely this only matters if there is any chance that the UK might want to change its mind. And that is looking less likely by the day. Already the infantile behaviour of some of the EU Spokesmen is moving us from a soft Brexit to a hard one. Once they have really pissed us off the question will be whether we bother with a deal at all.

The story I think you are referring to is probably false reporting by the Telegraph. No doubt it will be the kind of story people believe, however. It looks to me like setting the groundwork for failure by getting recriminations in early
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Scott_P said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/queen-jokes-with-sinn-fein-politician-martin-mcguinness-that-shes-still-alive-a7107056.html

As noted downthread, she acts under advice from her ministers. What better way to defuse a probably extremely awkward situation than with a few jokes.
    The IRA murdered her husband's uncle. She has been Queen for over sixty years. Most ministers weren't born when she became Queen. I'm sure she was closely consulted on this matter and not simply told what to do. She decided to shake hands with McGuinness. Time to move on.

I must say that several contributors to this board who I greatly admire for their well argued well written contributions lose a little bit of credibility when they obsess over Corbyn and Sinn Fein. They are flogging a very dead horse.

What's dead are the people the IRA killed, the people who have been disappeared, the injured who are still living with their injuries and pain to this day and the families. Just because NI has vanished from our screens and someone can get invited to a state banquet does not mean that the effects of 30 years of violence have gone.

(Snip)
    Hesitant as I am to disagree with you twice in one day, Ms Free, and despite being against the IRA's actions, might it be best to get the lady's views on things before being so forthright? There has been many years of peace now.

I worked for a while at a trade union organisation, and that does not make a raving leftie (and neither were many of the people working there).
    I'm expressing my views not the Queen's. I care about what Corbyn does because, in theory, he could be PM and have real power. And I fear what he would do if he did become PM because I do not trust him to protect me and mine from those who would do us harm because for so very long he has been on the side of those who do do us or want to do us harm.

The Queen does not have any real power.
  • Options
    While we wait for the quote function to reappear:

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/808718180277485572
    Being worse than "Attack of the Clones" doesn't sound like an endorsement:
    https://twitter.com/michael_hendrix/status/809065327309049856
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    The oh so pure, oh so lily-white LibDems ...

"The Liberal Democrats failed to correctly declare their General Election campaign spending in Ceredigion in their national party’s return, an Electoral Commission report has found.
    Expenditure for the campaign to re-elect Mark Williams in the county in 2015 was one of several investigated by the commission.

The party has been fined the maximum levy of £20,000 for the breaches, while the case against the party’s top campaign official has been referred to the police".

http://tinyurl.com/hjrwa5p
  • Options
    Marcos Rojo has committed 2 of the worst fouls I have ever seen this season, the ref saw both and didn't send him off for either. Incredible.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

It has something to do with him being a shit.
    When Corbyn realises that something is in the British national interest, that alone is sufficient reason alone for him to oppose it and do the precise opposite.
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

@isam

Beautiful!

My respect for HMQ is so great it almost brings me to support absolute monarchy. I think she might be the greatest monarch we've ever had.

But don't ask me about Charles.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    edited December 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

A person who has poor judgment is not going to make a good leader. Corbyn's poor judgment is one reason why he is "really crap at leadership".
    I suspect the difference between us is that you are taking a moral stance and I am taking a practical stance.

I think you think he doesn't deserve to be leader or he would, in some way, be dangerous because of his relationships. You might be right. I don't know. EDIT: I think your opinion of Corbyn is a bit more than about poor judgement. It seems to me to be quite intense.

I think that in practice it will make little difference to most of the voting public, even if CCHQ make a big issue of it. It upsets those like you who see it as moral issue but I think you are in a small minority. But I could, of course, be wrong.
  • Options

isam said:

Charles said:

@isam

Beautiful!

My respect for HMQ is so great it almost brings me to support absolute monarchy. I think she might be the greatest monarch we've ever had.

He only related the story!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Moses_ said:

Sorry Mrs B I meant quote button not reply and either way I don't have one whatever it's called.

ScottP says it's working north of the border so it must be just little Englanders that don't have it.

Wales always gets ignored of course.

Seems to be working in Vanilla from the deep South West.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

isam said:

Charles said:

@isam

Beautiful!

What about me?

:smiley:
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    isam said:

Marcos Rojo has committed 2 of the worst fouls I have ever seen this season, the ref saw both and didn't send him off for either. Incredible.

Now Zlatan handballs it to the offside Pogba who makes it 1-0.. Jose will prob mention all that afterwards #not
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Wales (well my bit) is "quoteless" :-(
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    welshowl said:

Wales (well my bit) is "quoteless" :-(

Just click on the time stamp. Comment on Vanilla. Then zoom back here.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

@isam

Beautiful!

What about me?

:smiley:
    Ha!
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

I suspect the difference between us is that you are taking a moral stance and I am taking a practical stance.

I think you think he doesn't deserve to be leader or he would, in some way, be dangerous because of his relationships. You might be right. I don't know. EDIT: I think your opinion of Corbyn is a bit more than about poor judgement. It seems to me to be quite intense.

I think that in practice it will make little difference to most of the voting public, even if CCHQ make a big issue of it. It upsets those like you who see it as moral issue but I think you are in a small minority. But I could, of course, be wrong.
    You may well be right that I am in a minority. I don't care. I don't decide my opinions on the basis of numbers. I did say in one of my headers that it was quite possible that a large number of people wouldn't know or, if they did, wouldn't care about Corbyn's associations, one reason why I think the Tories risk being hubristic in assuming that Corbyn could never win.

But I have through my work seen so many examples of poor judgment that it is something which really gets my goat, as you've rightly identified.

Judgment and character - in the sense of moral character - are IMO very important and have too often been undervalued and ignored. We see the results around us. I would like these to be more highly valued than they are because they seem to me to be the base foundation from which so much else flows.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SimonStClare

'The quote function has disappeared – do we need to activate A50 to negotiate its return?'

Without doubt.

• Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

isam said:

Charles said:

@isam

Beautiful!

You don't seem to understand how absolute monarchy works. You don't get a say in who the next ruler is, that's God's job. Peace be upon him.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Scott_P said:

Corbyn's choices say much about his default assumptions, about the sort of person he is, about the judgment he has, all of them relevant to the question of whether he is fit to be leader of the opposition and of what is - or should be - and certainly was a great party, whether he is fit to be a possible PM. It may be an obsession to some but those questions are, IMO anyway, highly relevant to the state of our politics today. Without a credible opposition we do not have a well functioning Parliamentary system of government.
    Indeed so - this story isn't intrinsically important, but it adds to the mood music to which the election campaign will be fought, namely that Corbyn's assumption is always "UK = Bad".
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

isam said:

Charles said:

@isam

Beautiful!

He only related the story!
    My favorite one is John Kerr (at the time our man in Washington) trying to persuade HMQ that she shouldn't take her dogs to Korea because "kor-gi" means "good meat" in Korean!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

You don't seem to understand how absolute monarchy works. You don't get a say in who the next ruler is, that's God's job. Peace be upon him.

Much like the EU then, but there you seem to be in favour.

• Options

Much like the EU then, but there you seem to be in favour.

Proportional representation, innit? Worked for the kippers, innit?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Where does he say that?
    It's not working in my bit that's north of the border. I suspect being a Little Englander is irrelevant as to whether or not you can see the quote function.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Scott_P said:

(Snip)

I'm expressing my views not the Queen's. I care about what Corbyn does because, in theory, he could be PM and have real power. And I fear what he would do if he did become PM because I do not trust him to protect me and mine from those who would do us harm because for so very long he has been on the side of those who do do us or want to do us harm.

By 'the lady', I was referring to Jayne Fisher, not the Queen.

Edit: if she has said: "Kill the monarchy", or "IRA bombs were good!" then I might agree. Working for Sinn Fein in modern times is not necessarily automatically worthy of censure.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Where does he say that?
    It's not working in my bit that's north of the border. I suspect being a Little Englander is irrelevant as to whether or not you can see the quote function.
    Quote is working for me, but I'm intrigued at this reply function that people seem to have. Is that conferred once the initiation ceremony has taken place?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Where does he say that?
    It's only available to people who've helped crowdfund Jolyon Maugham.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    United they stood...
    "Splits were emerging among the 27 EU member states over Brexit negotiating tactics last night, as several smaller member states indicated they wanted the European Commission to begin early trade talks with Britain."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/14/eu-leaders-turn-brexit-negotiation-tactics/
  • Options

Where does he say that?

Upthread...
  • Options

It's only available to people who've helped crowdfund Jolyon Maugham.

It's not available to Brexiteers...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The BAFTA screeners are coming through, and I've just watched a real cracker. "Hidden Figures" is a top drawer movie about "coloured computers". It's a true story of black women who worked on NASA's calculations for the space programme. It just hits every note spot on. A very fine script, delivered by a very fine cast. Even Kevin Costner is excellent - it's that good.

I would highly recommend it to PBers when it comes out.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

(Snip)

By 'the lady', I was referring to Jayne Fisher, not the Queen.

Edit: if she has said: "Kill the monarchy", or "IRA bombs were good!" then I might agree. Working for Sinn Fein in modern times is not necessarily automatically worthy of censure.
    Well, that would be a good idea, of course. But Ms Fisher has, according to reports, deleted her entire Twitter account before the appointment so we don't know what she has said. Odd thing to do if there was nothing there she was ashamed of.

I am a cynical old bat and I'm willing to bet that there will have been plenty there that would be hugely embarrassing if made public, not least because she would likely be forced into recanting something she actually thinks or making that most useless and insincere of all statements: the non-apology ("if I have offended... etc ...") apology.

I may be wrong of course.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Where does he say that?

Upthread...
    Och, yer hame!

'The auld home toon looks the same as I step down fae the train,
    and there to meet me is my Maw and Paw'
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

Is there some reason I am disallowed from replying to comments?!

Or is everyone experiencing this....

Use Vanilla
    http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4387/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-article-50-can-t-be-invoked-surely-without-the-country-knowi#latest
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    geoffw said:

United they stood...
    "Splits were emerging among the 27 EU member states over Brexit negotiating tactics last night, as several smaller member states indicated they wanted the European Commission to begin early trade talks with Britain."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/14/eu-leaders-turn-brexit-negotiation-tactics/

No surprises there. This is why it's so important that the lead EU team is the Council, rather than the Commission. The former - led by the member states - will want to prioritise trade above all else, whereas Junker and friends favour the politics of being seen to punish us for having the temerity to want to leave.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

United they stood...

No surprises there. This is why it's so important that the lead EU team is the Council, rather than the Commission. The former - led by the member states - will want to prioritise trade above all else, whereas Junker and friends favour the politics of being seen to punish us for having the temerity to want to leave.
    Neat point.
  • Options
    geoff said:

Use Vani

Or alternately you can use my solution:

Just put:

<//blockquote class="Quote" rel="name of person you reply too"> his text goes here<///blockquote> at the beginning of the reply.

Get rid the extra 2 // as well before posting.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,077

isam said:

Charles said:

@isam

Beautiful!

Charles is a smug patrician, but no monarch.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Ah, I see I am not alone

You're never alone with a Strand.
  • Options

isam said:

Charles said:

@isam

Beautiful!

I quite like Charles; I think he'll be a good King. Edward VII was old when he ascended to the throne and was very popular.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

SeanT said:

Ah, I see I am not alone

You're never alone with a Strand.
    I may need to explain:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjBHUQEiTPw
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Surely whether it can be revoked is irrelevant unless we want to revoke it? If you're serious about Brexit there's no need to know the answer.

If you're serious about negotiating Brexit, you don't want the other side to know that you don't feel the need to know the answer.
    Or you're serious about Brexit and are happy for the other side to think you're happy to either get the right deal or let the clock run out. That you won't be panicked into pulling out of withdrawal.

If we are interested in withdrawal then even if it is allowed to revoke then the other side thinking that we may revoke is not in our interests. Us revoking A50 is in their interest.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Someone's having a very bad day.

"Yahoo says one billion user accounts affected in another breach of its systems"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38324527
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

isam said:

Charles said:

@isam

Beautiful!

I quite like Charles; I think he'll be a good King. Edward VII was old when he ascended to the throne and was very popular.
    I think Charles will be fine. He certainly has had enough experience of being heir to know what will be expected of him through the example of his mother.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

Ah, I see I am not alone

Of course not alone, it's the great PB family. The sort of family where everyone is that slightly odd cousin no one really knows.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    glw said:

"Yahoo says one billion user accounts affected in another breach of its systems"

A single account hacked is a tragedy; a billion accounts hacked is an almighty f'up.

A billion? A billion.

Sorry, still trying to process that.

A billion. That's a b, not an m.

F*ck.

A billion.
  • Options

A single account hacked is a tragedy; a billion accounts hacked is an almighty f'up.

A billion? A billion.

F*ck.

A billion.

Should I change my password?
  • Options
    JosiasJessop: "A billion? A billion.

Sorry, still trying to process that."

Even better it is a new attack discovered when they investigated the previous several hundred million account attack.
  • Options
    glw said:

JosiasJessop: "A billion? A billion.

Sorry, still trying to process that."

Even better it is a new attack discovered when they investigated the previous several hundred million account attack.

They discovered that their NSA backdoor was accessible to the FSB?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

A billion? A billion.

F*ck.

A billion.

Should I change my password?
    If it's 'password', yes. Or 123456. ;)

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/01/yes-123456-is-the-most-common-password-but-heres-why-thats-misleading/
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2016
    The best password I've come across was some years ago, when a client told me that his password was 'forgot', chosen to be auto-reminding.

Edit: mind you, that was in the innocent days before computer systems were exposed to zillions of hackers in far-off countries.
  • Options
    On topic, late to the party and this has no doubt been said but my thoughts anyway - it doesn't particularly matter whether A50 is revocable or not: the British people voted for Brexit and so it needs to be delivered. We can't play hokey-cokey.

In any case, it's clearly not revocable, both because the text is pretty clear and because were it revocable, a state intent on either leaving or seeking better membership terms could continually invoke/revoke A50 until they got what they wanted.
  • Options
    "They discovered that their NSA backdoor was accessible to the FSB?"

One of the NSA programmes disclosed by Snowden was an attack to piggy back on state actor run botnets. i.e. To turn the attack back on the attacker.

Backdoors, key escrow, golden keys, and lawful intercept are all fundamentally bad security.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Is it me or does Richard Ford look eerily like Levi Bellfield ?
  • Options

isam said:

Charles said:

@isam

Beautiful!

You don't seem to understand how humour works.
  • Options

glw said:

A billion? A billion.

F*ck.

A billion.
    Eek. Time for me to switch.

Two looks like carelessness.
  • Options

On topic, late to the party and this has no doubt been said but my thoughts anyway - it doesn't particularly matter whether A50 is revocable or not: the British people voted for Brexit and so it needs to be delivered. We can't play hokey-cokey.

In any case, it's clearly not revocable, both because the text is pretty clear and because were it revocable, a state intent on either leaving or seeking better membership terms could continually invoke/revoke A50 until they got what they wanted.

Whilst you are undoubtedly right in your first paragraph, the two points in your second paragraph are dealt with persuasively here:

http://ohrh.law.ox.ac.uk/brexit-foundational-constitutional-and-interpretive-principles-ii/

• Options
    edited December 2016

It would be inadvisable to, but the hypothetical scenario might run like this - we trigger, we negotiate, for some unknowable reason it is felt we made a mistake, maybe a second referendum is held, at which point revoking might be wanted but not possible.

Now, I don't regard that scenario as likely for all sorts of reasons, but there are scenarios where it is conceivable we'd want to revoke, so the question is interesting. Now, I'd agree with you that it seems improbable the intent was it could be revocable as it would leave the EU subject to the whims of a member constantly holding the threat of triggering over the.

A court case would be an intellectual curiosity only, but given it is about a hypothetical situation where the nation did collectively change its mind, the improbability of that happening is not really the point, it's a straw being clutched. But the EU might welcome it in any case - say they play hardball and we get a crap deal, they might panic and fear we would claim to have revoked, at which point the question would go to the courts anyway. Richard N links to an article which posits a last minute revocation to seek a better deal would be a big mistake given how it would be reacted to, but the scenario is about emotion and spite overcoming nation's sense, so is not impossible.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Why the heck do we have email ?

Have we not learned that having an email account could ruin your life as proven by Hillary Clinton.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/809164609269669888
  • Options
    Incidentally, the latest comment to the article by Paul Craig which I just reposted is by Greg Callus, formerly of this parish as 'Morus', and poster of one of the very best betting tips ever to appear on PB - he correctly tipped the nonentity Catherine Ashton as 'High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs', at IIRC 50/1.
  • Options
    Off-topic: fracking may not be as safe as previously thought. P'haps.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/12/the-us-finally-admitted-that-fracking-contaminates-drinking-water/
  • Options
    Speedy: "Why the heck do we have email ?

Have we not learned that having an email account could ruin your life as proven by Hillary Clinton."

It's worth noting that the FBI investigation said that webmail, presumably including the likes of Yahoo!, had better security than the private servers used by Clinton through which top secret classified emails passed. That's how incompetent her people were.
  • Options

Off-topic: fracking may not be as safe as previously thought. P'haps.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/12/the-us-finally-admitted-that-fracking-contaminates-drinking-water/

It also causes earthquakes:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2016/09/07/the-connection-between-earthquakes-and-fracking/#421d1f827f65

If a magnitude 5.6 hits the N.West Liverpool and Manchester would be in ruins, I don't think their buildings were built taking into account earthquakes.

Ironically at worse it could also be used by terrorists to induce earthquakes, like in California in that James Bond movie, or the Superman movie:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-earthquake-san-andreas-corelogic-20161122-story.html
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    >Speedy: "Why the heck do we have email ?

Whenever you get an Email you are then working to someone else's agenda.

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    A former Wake Forest assistant football coach, and current (until this broke) radio announcer has been giving away game plans to opponents. The ultimate betrayal.

What name has been given to this story? Yup, you guessed it - Wakeyleaks

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2016/12/13/wake-forest-investigation-reveals-radio-announcer-tommy-elrod-leaked-game-plans/95396444/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2016
    @the_Apocalypse

Hesiltine may well have joined the Liberals, indeed he started his career as a National Liberal (a Liberal splinter faction originating in 1932 and being absorbed by the Conservatives in the late sixties) .
  • Options
    More utterly depressing economic news - the Brexiteering lemmings continue at a pace towards the cliff edge:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-us-firms-trade-threat-london-eu-move-uk-relocate-move-report-a7473251.html
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Seant: Is there some reason I am disallowed from replying to comments?!

Or is everyone experiencing this....

Yes, it is a bloody pain !
  • Options
    Goupillon So over 60% of US firms are not even considering moving to the EU and given Trump backed Brexit not much harm done to UK-US relations there
  • Options
    O/T French Election - new poll

Monthly Ipsos/Cevipof for Le Monde (sample 18 000 - polled between 5 and 7 december)

4 scenarios depending on the socialist primary winner and whether Bayrou (centre) runs or not

- Valls and Bayrou
    Fillon 26 Le Pen 24 Macron 13 Mélenchon 13 Valls 11 Bayrou 6 All others 7

- Valls and no Bayrou
    Fillon 27 Le Pen 25 Macron 15 Mélenchon 14 Valls 12 All others 7

- Montebourg and Bayrou
    Fillon 27 Le Pen 24 Macron 16 Mélenchon 13 Bayrou 7 Montebourg 6 All others 7

- Montebourg and no Bayrou
    Fillon 29 Le Pen 25 Macron 18 Mélenchon 14 Montebourg 7 All others 7

No second round polling.

This poll does not yet reflect the final socialist primary field but confirms that Montebourg would be a dreadful general election candidate. Valls is doing better than him but would still be stuck in fifth place.

Compared to the previous Ipsos monthly Le Pen has lost a few points, she was between 27 and 29 depending on the scenarios. This is clearly a consequence of Fillon's victory with his quite right-wing image. However this right-wing image has also boosted the centrist candidates, Bayrou and mostly Macron.

Bayrou not running would not be a direct gain for Macron. The detailed results show that they would split 28% Macron, 19% FIllon, 19% abstention/spoiled ballot, 13% Valls, 9% Mélenchon, 5% Le Pen. So whether Bayrou runns or not would not change the chances of the other contenders.

As seen in previous polls, Valls would be the perfect candidate to ensure a kind of three-way tie in the low teens for Mélenchon Macron and himself.

Montebourg would be a much better scenario for Macron, as he would get most centre-left voters, but he still appears way behind the level needed to contend for the second round.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    @surbiton

The quote button has disappeared for me too.
  • Options
    Valls and Macron would split the centrist/centre left vote between them it seems and could allow Melenchon to take third. Not much between Fillon and Le Pen for first in round 1 if Valls is Socialist candidate either.
  • Options
    HYUFD - if you cannot see the damage done by 40% of US companies relocating from GB to mainland Europe words fail me.
  • Options
    @Goupillon Nevertheless we've voted to leave the EU. I doubt 40% of US companies will move.
  • Options
    @HYUFD
    Indeed. The problem for those that like suspense is that this uncertainty regarding third place or the relative position of the first two candidates has no particular impact on the result.
    At this (still early) stage, the second round candidates are quite clear and the second round polling is pretty simple to analyse too.
  • Options
    40% of US companies will not move, they said they would 'consider it' not the same thing. Those that would move would split between many different EU cities anyway it would not affect London's position as the no1 financial centre in Europe. The vote was for Brexit and some control of free movement, most Leave voters will not be that bothered if a few US banks move to Paris or Frankfurt. Given Trump backed Brexit anyway the incoming US administration will be pro Brexit and also pushing an agenda of reduced regulation, something which will boost NYC but also London relative to Paris
  • Options
    @Chris_From_Paris Fillon vs Macron would be useful.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    HYUFD said:

Given Trump backed Brexit anyway the incoming US administration will be pro Brexit

Don't be so sure. Trump also routed the wing of the Republican foreign policy establishment that the likes of IDS and Fox worship.

Trump would absolutely understand the 'vote Leave to drive a hard bargain to Remain' school of thought that Boris initially outlined.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    What have they done to PB now? First it was the like button, now it is the quote button!
  • Options
    RobD said:

What have they done to PB now? First it was the like button, now it is the quote button!

At least we can still flag off topic posts!
  • Options
    RobD said:

The black sheep got blackmailed again
    It's safe to say don't quote me on that
  • Options
    C from P If Le Pen won the first round that would be a huge story in itself even if Fillon won round 2 and it would also give her momentum to take into that round. If Melenchon was third his supporters are more likely to be prefer Le Pen over Fillon than Macron and Valls' are
This discussion has been closed.