Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Thurday’s Sleaford and North Hykeham – A certain CON hold or c

Comments

• Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Hah, but I think it is a remote risk :@()

Shadsy has Lab at 100/1 if anyone feels the need to green up, but it's not going to happen.
    UKIP w in all honesty than Labour winning.
    With st the judgement of journalists on the ground?
    We got a good post from LD activist @MrsB the other day:
    MrsB said:

O/T reporting back on what I found in Sleaford & North Hykeham - make what you will of it

U

As I say, make of it what you will.

Lincoln cathedral!
    Yes I arta too
    It's is sublimely atmospheric.
    Yes the centre of Lincoln is reminiscent of the best medieval cities in France or Germany, having studied at university near Coventry it is true to say that the city centre of the latter has largely been ruined by sixties architecture with just a few historic buildings around the remains of the old Cathedral itself
    Wells is incredible, as well, in its small perfection.

A friend of mine tells a story about Wells. He got a music scholarship there, to Well school, and as a result lived in that famous 14th century street, Vicars Close, the oldest planned residential street in Europe (the world?), when he was a pupil

http://www.wellssomerset.com/images/entries/masters/img10092.jpg

A few years ago he had some friends visiting from Australia, so he took them to Wells, to show them the cathedral & school. When the Aussies saw Vicars Close, they actually burst into tears, because it was so old and so beautiful.

Having recently been to Australia, I can see why. Aussie architecture is uniformly and incredibly hideous (barring some early colonial stuff, and affluent modern buildings post 1990), and, moreover, if you grow up in Oz you literally never see a building older than my Camden flat, or thereabouts, and mostly you never see anything even that old.

To be confronted with the beauty of ancient European townscapes, in that light, must be an overwhelming emotional experience.
    The smaller cathedral cities tend to be well preserved as they didn't get much industrialisation and so were spared the Luftwaffe and the town planners.

Ripon is very nice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripon
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072

I voted for AndyJS as POTY

Honourable mentions for election information go to:

HYUFD, Plato, Speedy and RodCrosby (if we're allowed to mention him)

For general polite, constructive, non-partisan comments to cyclefree, MBS, ydroether and stodge

Not to be forgotten JackW for talking out of his ARSE, Bob Smithson's certainty that Clinton was going to win Florida and TSE expecting South Yorkshire to vote Remain :wink: no offence meant we all make mistakes

And to everyone else at PB - without you all the place would not be the success it is.

I was certain for 41 minutes, then unsure for about 15, and then equally certain Donald Trump was going to take it.

My rapid about face is available for all to see. From: "It's over guys", to "I'm piling on Trump, no way is he an a 17% certainty. Look at the rural counties, he's 10% ahead of Romney" in less than an hour.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

I presume a Tory win in Sleaford and North Hykeham will be considered a victory for hard Brexit.

Given May's and Davies' comments on budget contributions to the EU and the reported comments Boris made on his support for free movement only a UKIP victory would be a victory for hard Brexit, most likely the Tories hold but UKIP close behind them and Labour trying to hold off the LDs for third
    It's a bit early to expect UKIP to start eating substantially into the Tory numbers.

If A50 hasn't been triggered by 31 March, then it will rapidly kick in.

Yes, but look at the quality of their candidates.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3045289/Send-home-Ukip-candidate-s-false-claim-son-blown-Afghanistan.html

... and isn't this a bit strange:

This account's Tweets are protected.
    Only confirmed followers have access to @VAylingUKIP's Tweets and complete profile. Click the "Follow" button to send a follow request.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    rcs1000 said:

For general polite, constructive, non-partisan comments to cyclefree, MBS, ydroether and stodge

Not to be forgotten JackW for talking out of his ARSE, Bob Smithson's certainty that Clinton was going to win Florida and TSE expecting South Yorkshire to vote Remain :wink: no offence meant we all make mistakes

And to everyone else at PB - without you all the place would not be the success it is.

I was certain for 41 minutes, then unsure for about 15, and then equally certain Donald Trump was going to take it.

My rapid about face is available for all to see. From: "It's over guys", to "I'm piling on Trump, no way is he an a 17% certainty. Look at the rural counties, he's 10% ahead of Romney" in less than an hour.
    And we were all worrying about SC being too close/early to call.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

perdix said:

@SeanT - British bombers flattened many ancient German cities but the Germans, even though impoverished by the War, decided to restore many of the city centres to previous glory. Places like Exeter suffered from British short-terminism and stupid planning rules.

Don't worry, Bomber Harris left plenty of scars on the German cityscapes. Have you ever been to Cologne?? The cathedral survives, everything else is hideous post-war development. The same can be said for countless German cities and towns. They're horrible or banal or dreary, because we destroyed them.

But then, they started it.
    Harris found Medieval German towns particularly good for incendiary bombs. Those wooden half framed buildings burn very well.

Little sympathy from me though.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    rcs1000 said:

I went to bed after your "All over" and didn't see any news until (I think) mid-afternoon. What a shock!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I know.

But your about face took place AFTER I'd gone to bed.

Having watched the BBC coverage they were predicting a big Clinton win until 1:45, then were doubtful for an hour, then thought Trump might win but they only expected Trump to win after a NYT report after 4am.

So PB were once again ahead of the BBC.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Might be wrong but cannot see UKIP doing well. They do not have the ground organisation, a lot of huff and puff but not much else, viz Oldham. Over the last 6 -12 month the fall in UKIP electoral support at the ballot box, except for one or two isolated incidents in Kent and Hartlepool, has been most pronounced with Conservatives making most benefilt. Cannot see this being any different. At the same time the Labour vote in these type of areas has fallen since May 2015. The Lib Dem vote should rise, I have a gut feeling there will be enough transfers from Labour and the Conservatives to place them certainly third and possibly second.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm on the Tories here at 1-7, and Labour 2nd @ 15-2 fwiw.

Who is betting on the runner-up?
    Ladbrokes and Hills.
    Thanks. I've taken 10/1 from Shadsy but now see Hills have the better offer -- 10/1 without the Conservatives, so it will still pay out in the unlikely event Labour wins.
    Hah Yes I'll lose out heavily if Labour win, but I think it is a remote risk :@()
    Shadsy has Lab at 100/1 if anyone feels the need to green up, but it's not going to happen.
    UKIP winning and Tories second probably a bigger risk in all honesty than Labour winning.
    With the proviso that I've not been following this byelection very closely, so pb readers should dyor, as they say, I can't see where is the evidence for the Ukip and LD surges, except in the betting itself. Can we trust the judgement of journalists on the ground?
    MrsB said:

O/T reporting back on what I found in Sleaford & North Hykeham - make what you will of it

UKIP are active - Farage and Nuttall have both had public meetings. On the other hand, they managed to spell their

Lincolnshire is surprisingly lovely. Lincoln is one of the most underrated cities in Europe. My god, the cathedral!
    Yes I went to a friend's wedding in the Cathedral last summer, it is magnificent and has a copy of Magna Carta too
    It's not just the cathedral tho, is it, it's the entire medieval, Tudor and Georgian core of the city, almost flawless, entirely poetic, just gorgeously English and historic. I imagine Coventry and Exeter must have looked like this, until the bastard Luftwaffe did their thing.

On a misty winter twilight the walk up to Lincoln cathedral is sublimely atmospheric.
    Imagine a medieval battle taking place there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lincoln_(1217)

I would blame the town planners more than the Luftwaffe for heritage destruction.
    Not just town planners; architects also have some responsibility for the post-war redevelopments.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ladbrokes and Hills.
    Thanks. I'vpay out in the unlikely event Labour wins.
    MrsB said:

U

Lincoln cathedral!
    Yes I arta too
    Yes the centre of Lincoln is reminiscent of the best medieval cities in France or Germany, having studied at university

A friend of mine tells a story about Wells. He got a music scholarship there, to Well school, and as a result lived in that famous 14th century street, Vicars Close, the oldest planned residential street in Europe (the world?), when he was a pupil

A few years ago he had some friends visiting from Australia, so he took them to Wells, to show them the cathedral & school. When the Aussies saw Vicars Close, they actually burst into tears, because it was so old and so beautiful.

Having recently been to Australia, I can see why. Aussie architecture is uniformly and incredibly hideous (barring some early colonial stuff, and affluent modern buildings post 1990), and, moreover, if you grow up in Oz you literally never see a building older than my Camden flat, or thereabouts, and mostly you never see anything even that old.

To be confronted with the beauty of ancient European townscapes, in that light, must be an overwhelming emotional experience.
    Never been to Wells, will have to visit it some time. Australia certainly has the sunshine and the wealth at the moment but we still have the culture and heritage no matter what happens
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    SeanT said:

fpt because this is important; people are just accepting pinkrose's drivel

pinkrose said:

"Of course I agree [that male testimony is worth more in court than women's], as it protects women. We are different in Islam with differing rights and responsibilities, Allahu Alam.

“Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient (to Allah and to their husbands).

[al-Nisaa’ 4:34] "

And there it is. You admit it. You openly admit it.

Now let's say you agreed that the testimony of white people should be worth twice as much as black people in court as white people are the protectors of black people, given that blacks and whites are not equal. There is no moral difference between the two positions.

It is utterly inconceivable that Mike would allow you to spout such hateful racist bilge on his site, he's banned people for less. Yet because you're a "Muslim" you're given a special pass to spit your rubbish opinions: that some people are inherently unequal to others, that some are born with fewer rights just because.

It's repugnant. Your religion is repugnant. But it's good that you are willing to admit it.

My understanding is that burqa wearing is cultural and does not figure in the Quran. In any case their wearing while driving should, I feel, be treated just as we do, or should, treat drunkenness and the use of mobile 'phones.

It's a practical safety consideration quite separate from religion.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

As a Plymothian, I might take issue with that assessment.

As a travel writer, I take issue with your taking of issue.

I've written about Plymouth a couple of times for the papers. I think it's an incredible city. It has that matchless medieval core, it has a beautiful linear modernist new urban centre (which would be celebrated if it was anywhere but England), it has the weird gigantism of the nuclear sub docks, it has the militaristic Versailles of the Royal William Victualling Yards, now brilliantly redeveloped. Like an English St Petersburg

http://r-ec.bstatic.com/images/hotel/max1024x768/592/59275975.jpg

https://royalwilliamyardnews.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/cropped-rwy-view.jpg

It has Plymouth Hoe and Plymouth Gin. It has hookers and sailors and salty pubs, it has some horrible housing and some incredible views.

It's a great city, with good seafood, and Cornwall just over the Tamar. VASTLY underrated.
    Well, I had the 'pleasure' of living there in the 70s, years of decline (Union Street shuttered). The medieval core is tiny, and the sprawling suburbs of Efford and Leigham a disgrace to architecture and humanity. I will admit that the modern town centre works much better now it has been turned into a pedestrian precinct and the whole feels better with the development of the long undeveloped bomb sites that used to surround the centre.

All that said, it is a while since I was there regularly, so I am willing to stand corrected on as it is now.

For natural beauty of the setting, it is up there with Vancouver.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

That's a lovely story. I actually prefer Ely to Wells, and there's a very similar street there. Ely can be sublime; the position of the cathedral, market, river and railway; the 'Ship of the Fens' visible on the skyline for miles around.

It's a shame the marketplace has been somewhat spoilt by 'modern' development.

edit: and the cathedral is oddly misshaped due to the collapse of a transept (the northern one?).
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Was in Wells when they recorded Hot Fuzz. Witnessed a gun fight near the cathedral.
  • Options

SeanT said:

That's a lovely story. I actually prefer Ely to Wells, and there's a very similar street there. Ely can be sublime; the position of the cathedral, market, river and railway; the 'Ship of the Fens' visible on the skyline for miles around.

It's a shame the marketplace has been somewhat spoilt by 'modern' development.

edit: and the cathedral is oddly misshaped due to the collapse of a transept (the northern one?).
    A fine way to approach Ely, as I have said here once, is by the river. I did that by canoe in 1961. I hope they have preserved the view.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

it is up there with Vancouver.

How long does it take to drive to whistler???
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ladbrokes and Hills.
    MrsB said:

U

Lincoln cathedral!
    Yes I arta too
    Yes the centre of Lincoln is reminiscent of the best medieval cities in France or Germany, having studied at university

n that old.

Never been to Wells, will have to visit it some time. Australia certainly has the sunshine and the wealth at the moment but we still have the culture and heritage no matter what happens
    Definitely check out Wells. And see the swans that ring bells to be fed. It's a gorgeous little "city" and the cathedral is a stunner.

It's my ambition to see, before I die, all the great cathedrals of Europe. I've pretty much done England (Ripon and Lichfield aside, but are they that good?), still got a couple on the continent to go. e.g. Chartres.
    If you visit Ripon, you can catch Fountains Abbey, too.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ladbrokes and Hills.
    MrsB said:

U

Lincoln cathedral!
    Yes I arta too

n that old.

Definitely check out Wells. And see the swans that ring bells to be fed. It's a gorgeous little "city" and the cathedral is a stunner.

It's my ambition to see, before I die, all the great cathedrals of Europe. I've pretty much done England (Ripon and Lichfield aside, but are they that good?), still got a couple on the continent to go. e.g. Chartres.
    Lichfield is absolutely lovely. Definitely worth a visit.

Give Chartres 10 years or so, then the internal scaffolding migt have gone down. Spoils it at the moment.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ladbrokes and Hills.
    MrsB said:

U

Lincoln cathedral!
    Yes I arta too

n that old.

There is always something strangely majestic about cathedrals. Canterbury and Salisbury without doubt the most dramatic, though I always find Winchester fascinating in respects to its Anglo Saxon past. In fact, pillars of the earth is without doubt one of the finest novels written about a cathedral - who would've thought it.
  • Options
    Right, my view on the by-election.

I cannot see past a Conservative win (one to hold against me there!)

But I think the interesting stories will be elsewhere, particularly with UKIP and the Lib Dems. The Lib Dems were a poor fourth last year with just 5.7% of the vote, with UKIP closely behind Labour in third on 15.7.

I'll be looking at:
    *) If, and how much, UKIP eat into the Conservative vote;
    *) How much the Lib Dems manage to hoover up the 38% who voted remain in the constituency. Especially if, as Mrs B claims, they have the only remain candidate standing.

Both these are indicators of how the referendum has affected traditional voting patterns. I see this as much more of a 'normal' by-election than Richmond Park.
  • Options
    theakes said:

Might be wrong but cannot see UKIP doing well. They do not have the ground organisation, a lot of huff and puff but not much else, viz Oldham. Over the last 6 -12 month the fall in UKIP electoral support at the ballot box, except for one or two isolated incidents in Kent and Hartlepool, has been most pronounced with Conservatives making most benefilt. Cannot see this being any different. At the same time the Labour vote in these type of areas has fallen since May 2015. The Lib Dem vote should rise, I have a gut feeling there will be enough transfers from Labour and the Conservatives to place them certainly third and possibly second.

Nuttall and Farage have been down and the LDs are unlikely to do that well in a constituency which voted over 60% Leave, there is simply not enough of a Remain protest vote unlike over 70% Remain Richmond Park albeit they may beat Labour for third. The comments on continued UK budget contributions to the EU for single market access coming from the government this week will not go down well with hardcore Tory Leavers and some may well shift to UKIP as a result. The Tories will likely hold but UKIP will be a clear second and will cut the Tory majority, perhaps quite significantly
  • Options
    Josias, Apple loses Supreme Court "black rectangle" patent case 8-0 :)
  • Options

There is always something strangely majestic about cathedrals. Canterbury and Salisbury without doubt the most dramatic, though I always find Winchester fascinating in respects to its Anglo Saxon past. In fact, pillars of the earth is without doubt one of the finest novels written about a cathedral - who would've thought it.

I love Pillars of the Earth. The preface where the author describes how he 'discovered' the majesty of cathedrals is a brilliant piece of writing in itself. It's also about the only nice thing I've ever read about Peterborough ... ;)

Damn! You've made me want to reread it now ...

Can I also add some of the majestic ruins we have (sadly too many of) in the country? Whether its Fountains Abbey, Llanthony Priory or just my beloved Croxden, they're some of the most atmospheric places to visit.
  • Options

I love Pillars of the Earth. The preface where the author describes how he 'discovered' the majesty of cathedrals is a brilliant piece of writing in itself. It's also about the only nice thing I've ever read about Peterborough ... ;)

Can I also add some of the majestic ruins we have (sadly too many of) in the country? Whether its Fountains Abbey, Llanthony Priory or just my beloved Croxden, they're some of the most atmospheric places to visit.
    Mostly created by the last brexiter of course ;)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ladbrokes and Hills.
    MrsB said:

U

Lincoln cathedral!
    Yes I arta too

n that old.

Yes, Wells looks like an excellent place for a weekend place
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ladbrokes and Hills.
    MrsB said:

U

Lincoln cathedral!
    Yes I arta too

n that old.

II haven't forgotten the speed of Wells Cathedral's choir as they returned over the cobbled Vicars' Close after a service. Always enjoyed visits to Fountain Inn and The Crown.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Pulpstar said:

Off topic:

How can a plane cost $4 Billion ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38221579

Trump's right on this one. It's ridiculous.

I bet it is a cost + contract for Boeing...

It might superficially look like a 747-8 but is in effect a one (well two) of a kind hand built aircraft. One example - the wing box and main fuselage have to have material redesigns to have an air to air refuelling system.
  • Options
    Idle curiosity .....

Just been looking at the info linked from my username (and others for comparison). What does the * Points thing mean? Points as on one's driving licence or points as in Brownie?

And how does one earn them?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    All this discussion of cathedrals reminds me, typically perversely, of Golding's eerie hair raising novel "The Spire".
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    HYUFD said:

theakes said:

Nuttall and Farage have been down and the LDs are unlikely to do that well in a constituency which voted over 60% Leave, there is simply not enough of a Remain protest vote unlike over 70% Remain Richmond Park albeit they may beat Labour for third. The comments on continued UK budget contributions to the EU for single market access coming from the government this week will not go down well with hardcore Tory Leavers and some may well shift to UKIP as a result. The Tories will likely hold but UKIP will be a clear second and will cut the Tory majority, perhaps quite significantly
    UKIP are on 18% in the Midlands, 4% above their national total of 14% while in London the LDs are on 13%, 4% above their national total of 9%, so Sleaford seems ideal territory for UKIP as Richmond Park was for the LDs
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/wemnebeo20/TimesResults_161129_VI_Trackers_W.pdf
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Off topic:

Buy Airbus, Donald!

The wings are made in the UK :)
    Airbus refused to bid for the contract, because they would have had to build them in the USA.
    *facepalm*
    Airbus builds the A320 series in Alabama. I suspect that they simply couldn't afford a production line for a modified a350 in the US.
    I suspect it would have to be an A380. We can go ETOPS over the Pacific but I doubt the a President can.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ladbrokes and Hills.
    MrsB said:

U

Lincoln cathedral!
    Yes I arta too

n that old.

And you can follow the Hot Fuzz trail.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Josias, Apple loses Supreme Court "black rectangle" patent case 8-0 :)

Wow, I wasn't expecting that to be overturned. Thanks.

Have you seen the stories over the weekend that the rumours about an Apple car have been confirmed? And for once, I tend to agree with what Apple say in their letter *swoons in shock*
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

Pillars is a masterpiece. The fictional cathedral was based on Salisbury and Wells I believe .

Oh, and fountains abbey is an amazing place to visit. Absolutely a must do.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ladbrokes and Hills.
    MrsB said:

U

Lincoln cathedral!
    Yes I arta too

n that old.

And you can follow the Hot Fuzz trail.
    With Simon Pegg voiceover
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    dixiedean said:

UKIP look very short priced given their recent form, and an unattractive candidate. Am on both LDs and Labour for 2nd. Richmond form and Labour vote holding up at a number of recent by elections. I expect a comfortable Con hold though.

agreed. nice name!
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2016
    I assume imajsaclaimant is now iwasajsaclaimant because of the Tory government?
  • Options
    A story about cathedrals.

Although agnostic, I love churches and cathedrals. I love studying the architecture, learning their history, and just daydreaming whilst in them. And yes, even make a quick, guilty prayer for those I've lost.

But my Aussie ex hated them. She'd wait outside as I went in. That is, until the end of my walk, when we stopped in York on our way back down from Edinburgh. I spent the day walking to Selby, and bored, she went into the cathedral.

She spent hours in there, and after that would always visit churches with me, learn their history, and just glory in them.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

n that old.

I used to live in Salisbury (well, still have a place there actually) - the view across the meadows to the cathedral is one of those perfect paintings, the building itself is a masterpiece preserved in its setting and mostly unaffected by less attractive modern developments.

Right now I can see the world's tallest building from my window. All 2,700' of it. It's stunning in a modernist way, and the engineering that went into it is amazing - but doesn't have the history or the architectural brilliance - or the soul - of the old English cathedrals.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

As a Plymothian, I might take issue with that assessment.

As a travel writer, I take issue with your taking of issue.

I've written about Plymouth a couple of times for the papers. I think it's an incredible city. It has that matchless medieval core, it has a beautiful linear modernist new urban centre (which would be celebrated if it was anywhere but England), it has the weird gigantism of the nuclear sub docks, it has the militaristic Versailles of the Royal William Victualling Yards, now brilliantly redeveloped. Like an English St Petersburg

http://r-ec.bstatic.com/images/hotel/max1024x768/592/59275975.jpg

https://royalwilliamyardnews.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/cropped-rwy-view.jpg

It has Plymouth Hoe and Plymouth Gin. It has hookers and sailors and salty pubs, it has some horrible housing and some incredible views.

It's a great city, with good seafood, and Cornwall just over the Tamar. VASTLY underrated.
    Well, I had the 'pleasure' of living there in the 70s, years of decline (Union Street shuttered). The medieval core is tiny, and the sprawling suburbs of Efford and Leigham a disgrace to architecture and humanity. I will admit that the modern town centre works much better now it has been turned into a pedestrian precinct and the whole feels better with the development of the long undeveloped bomb sites that used to surround the centre.

All that said, it is a while since I was there regularly, so I am willing to stand corrected on as it is now.

For natural beauty of the setting, it is up there with Vancouver.
    I was rather hoping that Vancouver was nicer than that! Plymouth always looks pretty grim to me, like Southampton and Portsmouth. Lincoln at the top of the Hill is pretty smart, but the lower town is nothing special, and North Hykeham more like Scunthorpe or Grimsby.

I worked in Lincoln for a year, and it is alright, albeit unexciting. There are posh people in the county set, ecclesiastical sector and law courts, lots of RAF and lots of country labouring folk. It is a strange social mix, with not a lot in the middle class. I can see why the Labour vote holds up reasonably well.

This is a hard one to call, with low turnout, and voters not liking resignation by elections. UKIP have an awful candidate who has antagonised both the farmers and the military. I think they will do well to come third. I have stakes on both Labour and LibDems for second, but Tory hold is nailed on.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

n that old.

I used to live in Salisbury (well, still have a place there actually) - the view across the meadows to the cathedral is one of those perfect paintings, the building itself is a masterpiece preserved in its setting and mostly unaffected by less attractive modern developments.

Right now I can see the world's tallest building from my window. All 2,700' of it. It's stunning in a modernist way, and the engineering that went into it is amazing - but doesn't have the history or the architectural brilliance - or the soul - of the old English cathedrals.
    I'm in Dubai for two nights in Jan on the way back from Oz. Have no real expectation but would like to get some birdwatching in. Any knowledge?
  • Options
    matt said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Off topic:

Buy Airbus, Donald!

Airbus refused to bid for the contract, because they would have had to build them in the USA.
    *facepalm*
    Airbus builds the A320 series in Alabama. I suspect that they simply couldn't afford a production line for a modified a350 in the US.
    I suspect it would have to be an A380. We can go ETOPS over the Pacific but I doubt the a President can.
    Yep, four engines for AF1, no ETOPS for POTUS.
  • Options
    On the subject of Dubai, @Sandpit, I'm there next week. Quick beer one evening?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    matt said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Off topic:

Buy Airbus, Donald!

*facepalm*
    How big is the A350 ? I will be on it in two weeks from Doha to LHR. I don't think I have ever flown on it.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

I'm in Dubai for two nights in Jan on the way back from Oz. Have no real expectation but would like to get some birdwatching in. Any knowledge?
    There's a wildlife sanctuary in Ras Al Khor, complete with a couple of public huts with binos, there's also a few public parks with grass and trees that attract a number of migrating birds depending on the season. I know someone who did a guidebook on the birds of Dubai, I think the missus has a printout of it somewhere. I'll ask her in the morning (past midnight now) but PM me nearer the time. http://www.uaebirding.com/birdingsites.html

If you're really serious there's also organised tours.
    http://www.abctoursdubai.com/bird-watching-tours-dubai.htm
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Weexperience.
    Defi are they that good?), still got a couple on the continent to go. e.g. Chartres.
    Ththe earth is without doubt one of the finest novels written about a cathedral - who would've thought it.

Why do old buildings always feel so much more poetic and atmospheric than new buildings?

I dunno. I've asked this on PB before, with varying responses. But it is definitely the case.

Truro Cathedral is a perfect example of Early English Gothic.... but it is a Revival, and was built in 1900, and has zero atmosphere. A sterile if pretty box.

Salisbury, built in an identical style, around 1250, is completely bewitching.
    The only modern structure that feels poetic & atmospheric to me is ... wait for it ... the new Reading Station.

I love it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Dubai, @Sandpit, I'm there next week. Quick beer one evening?

Always up for beer. Where are you staying, or just passing through? PM me with details.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

matt said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Off topic:

Buy Airbus, Donald!

*facepalm*
    How big is the A350 ? I will be on it in two weeks from Doha to LHR. I don't think I have ever flown on it.
    Depends on the variant but below the B777X above B767. For the passenger I think Boeing's sky cabin interior is far better than the Airbus offering.
  • Options
    I have worked most days in the constituency for the last fortnight - for the Conservatives. I am not being complacent but I think the Conservatives will win , possibly with a maj of c 5k.
    Quite frankly I can't see who else could win. UKIP can bluff and bluster but what accurate polling can they have - certainly from where I have been at the NH end of the constituency or as Nige prefers North Hykenham there have been plenty of leaflets.

I would go Con (1), UKIP (2), LD (3) and Lab (4)

Simples as Sergei would say!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Weexperience.
    Defi are they that good?), still got a couple on the continent to go. e.g. Chartres.
    Ththe earth is without doubt one of the finest novels written about a cathedral - who would've thought it.

Why do old buildings always feel so much more poetic and atmospheric than new buildings?

I dunno. I've asked this on PB before, with varying responses. But it is definitely the case.

Truro Cathedral is a perfect example of Early English Gothic.... but it is a Revival, and was built in 1900, and has zero atmosphere. A sterile if pretty box.

Edinburgh's Old Town on the other hand, is mostly 19th century, and newer than the New Town. But it works splendidly.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

There's a wildlife sanctuary in Ras Al Khor, complete with a couple of public huts with binos, there's also a few public parks with grass and trees that attract a number of migrating birds depending on the season. I know someone who did a guidebook on the birds of Dubai, I think the missus has a printout of it somewhere. I'll ask her in the morning (past midnight now) but PM me nearer the time. http://www.uaebirding.com/birdingsites.html

Cheers, I'd seen a bit about Ras al Khor and that may well be where I head for. It'll be entry level stuff for a first visit..
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Weexperience.

I do find the history encompassed in Cathedrals fascinating, but from a religious point of view they leave me stone cold, too much idolatry.
  • Options
    What ? No discussion on the A50 trigger in the SC ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Is that true?! Hah.

Either way you're quite right, it feels old and has a magic.

Yes. Those Victorians could whip up a mean mediaeval tenement, Church, or crenelated fortress. There's some ancient survivals mixed in, but not terribly many.
  • Options
    Quiz question (no Googling):

Two countries have 'The' in their official name. What are they?
  • Options
    bradlea said:

I have worked most days in the constituency for the last fortnight - for the Conservatives. I am not being complacent but I think the Conservatives will win , possibly with a maj of c 5k.
    Quite frankly I can't see who else could win. UKIP can bluff and bluster but what accurate polling can they have - certainly from where I have been at the NH end of the constituency or as Nige prefers North Hykenham there have been plenty of leaflets.

I would go Con (1), UKIP (2), LD (3) and Lab (4)

Simples as Sergei would say!

I think that's right.

Here are my "can claim victory if..." conditions:

UKIP can claim victory if they break 20% and come second.
    Labour can claim victory if they don't see their vote share go backwards.
    LibDems can claim victory if they go above 10%.
    The Conservatives are actually going to be victorious and win the seat.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Weexperience.
    I useoul - of the old English cathedrals.

I do like the history encompassed in Cathedrals fascinating, but from a religious point of view leave me stone cold, too much idolatry.
    You have to be a pretty cold fish to walk into Durham or Canterbury or Salisbury or Ely Cathedral - or Florence or Amiens or Aachen or Hagia Sophia cathedrals - and not feel a definite VIBE.

I felt nothing in The Vatican (arf arf) - but seriously, it felt very spiritually barren to me. Perhaps down to me.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The Netherlands, The Gambia?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    rcs1000 said:

1. The Gambia
  • Options
    I was going to say The Dominican Republic and don't know what else.
  • Options
    The Gambia is one.

Neither the Dominican Republic nor The Netherlands is number two.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Cheers, I'd seen a bit about Ras al Khor and that may well be where I head for. It'll be entry level stuff for a first visit..
    No worries, let me know if you need any more info - happy to help out any PB tourists!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The Gambia is one.

Can I Google to confirm?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The Gambia is one.

Lebanon?
  • Options
    If anyone wants to know the second answer to my question, this is an excellent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-b4SUOfn_4
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

Weexperience.
    I useoul - of the old English cathedrals.

I do like the history encompassed in Cathedrals fascinating, but from a religious point of view leave me stone cold, too much idolatry.
    You have to be a pretty cold fish to walk into Durham or Canterbury or Salisbury or Ely Cathedral - or Florence or Amiens or Aachen or Hagia Sophia cathedrals - and not feel a definite VIBE.

I enjoy tbe history, Hagia Sopia in particular of those that you mention, but buildings are a distraction from religious experience in my opinion, and of many others.

It is why Christianity is dying in Episcopalian churches, but thriving in house churches and organisations like Vinyard.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MrsB said:

There's a wildlife sanctuary idebook on the birds of Dubai, I think the missus has a printout of it somewhere. I'll ask her in the morning (past midnight now) but PM me nearer the time. http://www.uaebirding.com/birdingsites.html

There are salt marshes very close to Abu Dhabi city that ought to be a good location. Sorry I can't offer any better details.
  • Options
    I'm punting for The Grenadines. I'm not sure it's a country though.
  • Options
    The Vatican?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

The Gambia is one.

Can I Google to confirm?
    Sure :)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

1. The Gambia
    It used to be The Yemen, but the official name is Yemen Arab Republic. The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

The Gambia is one.

Can I Google to confirm?
    I was close.

2. St Vincent and The Grenadines.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    North Korea?
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Surely not the Bahamas ?

I would still rather read about THE SUPREME COURT
  • Options

I do find the history encompassed in Cathedrals fascinating, but from a religious point of view they leave me stone cold, too much idolatry.

Oddly, as some who is agnostic (*) but wants to believe, it's the other way around. I only ever feel religious spirituality in old churches or cathedrals. The informal churches I've been to in the past leave me cold. In fact, I get the same from old churches that were modernised (i.e. vandalised) by the Victorians, as if they lost some of their soul.

And on that note, night night everyone.

(*) I've never been fully sure if I'm really agnostic or not.
  • Options
    My question was malformed! Lots have 'the' in there somewhere. Only two START with a 'the'.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Surely not the Bahamas ?
    You got it :)
  • Options

North Korea?

That's DPRK.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

A serious house on serious earth it is. English Christians would be fools to neglect their incredible, almost peerless inheritance of beautiful, poetic, spellbinding churches.

French, Spanish, German and even many Italian churches are not the same - you walk in - you feel nothing. Zero. The place is either scraped clean by Revolution (France) or tediously neat (Germany).

We managed to preserve something in those buildings of ours. We bottled God. I dunno how, but we did it.

And now, Masterchef.

Now you know how us poor agnostics feel every day. We lack the belief gene, and we suffer for it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

The Gambia is one.

Can I Google to confirm?
    I was close.

2. St Vincent and The Grenadines.
    What about the Republic of the Congo?
  • Options

Oddly, as some who is agnostic (*) but wants to believe, it's the other way around. I only ever feel religious spirituality in old churches or cathedrals. The informal churches I've been to in the past leave me cold. In fact, I get the same from old churches that were modernised (i.e. vandalised) by the Victorians, as if they lost some of their soul.

I really didn't want to get into this debate but no place comes close to Istanbul. OK, Rome.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    MaxPB said:

North Korea?

That's DPRK.
    I know, is it not short for The DPRK?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

The Gambia is one.

Can I Google to confirm?

Of course, Algeria should be included (al-Jaza'ir - The Island)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

Surely not the Bahamas ?
    You got it :)
    I wasn't even sure it was a country. I thought it was a bank !
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    Dixie said:

dixiedean said:

UKIP look very short priced given their recent form, and an unattractive candidate. Am on both LDs and Labour for 2nd. Richmond form and Labour vote holding up at a number of recent by elections. I expect a comfortable Con hold though.

agreed. nice name!
    Thanks! Likewise yourself!
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited December 2016
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ladbrokes and Hills.
    Thanks. wins.
    Hah, risk :@()
    Shadsen.
    UKIPwinning.
    MrsB said:

U

Lincoln cathedral!
    Yes I arta too

n that old.

Durham!! From the train. And then inside. Not Gothic, Norman, but OMG.

One of the GREAT buildings of the world.
    One of my greatest privilages was to live next door to Durham cathedral, in the castle, for three years as an undergrad. Believe it or not, the 15minute chimes of the cathedral bells do not keep you awake!
  • Options

History is not my forte, but I believe Ely cathedral and others were vandelised by Henry the eighth, with Thomas Cromwell as his hammer.
  • Options

I can sense 'god' more through the ancient buildings than through people performing religious ceremonies.

People experiencing too deeply religious ceremonies I find somewhat scary.
    SeanT said:

A serious house on serious earth it is. English Christians would be fools to neglect their incredible, almost peerless inheritance of beautiful, poetic, spellbinding churches.

French, Spanish, German and even many Italian churches are not the same - you walk in - you feel nothing. Zero. The place is either scraped clean by Revolution (France) or tediously neat (Germany).

We managed to preserve something in those buildings of ours. We bottled God. I dunno how, but we did it.

The ancient numinous nature amplified by centuries of praying in that spot still being emitted back.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

And now, Masterchef.

Now you know how us poor agnostics feel every day. We lack the belief gene, and we suffer for it.
    ++Michael Ramsey said: you don't have to believe, you don't even have to want to believe; but it helps if you want to want to believe!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

And now, Masterchef.

Didn't someone write a book about that ?
  • Options
    Listening to Farage on Fox News just now he really pulls no punches and is scathing towards Obama on refugees and terrorism

Very controversial and not my cup of tea
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    dixiedean said:

Dixie said:

dixiedean said:

agreed. nice name!
    Thanks! Likewise yourself!
    we also share a last name!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

And now, Masterchef.

TS Eliot, Little Gidding

If you came this way,
    Taking any route, starting from anywhere,
    At any time or at any season,
    It would always be the same: you would have to put off
    Sense and notion. You are not here to verify,
    Instruct yourself, or inform curiosity
    Or carry report. You are here to kneel
    Where prayer has been valid. And prayer is more
    Than an order of words, the conscious occupation
    Of the praying mind, or the sound of the voice praying.
    And what the dead had no speech for, when living,
    They can tell you, being dead: the communication
    Of the dead is tongued with fire beyond the language of the living.
    Here, the intersection of the timeless moment
    Is England and nowhere. Never and always.
  • Options

Listening to Farage on Fox News just now he really pulls no punches and is scathing towards Obama on refugees and terrorism

Very controversial and not my cup of tea

Too big for his boots ? The Man who could not be an MP.
  • Options
    Back to political betting, the odds for the by-election are now all over the place.

Betfair have UKIP at 9/1, whereas Ladbrokes have them at 9/2.
    Bill Hill still has Con at 1/7, Paddy has them at 1/14

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/sleaford-and-n-hykeham-by-election/winner

Anyone with a pile of cash can probably put an arb together with that lot, but I reckon the 1/7 is free money given the reports on the ground.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Back to political betting, the odds for the by-election are now all over the place.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/sleaford-and-n-hykeham-by-election/winner

Anyone with a pile of cash can probably put an arb together with that lot, but I reckon the 1/7 is free money given the reports on the ground.

The right odds must surely be in the 1-20 range, right?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

The right odds must surely be in the 1-20 range, right?
    For the record, I have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER, and am therefore spending no money on this.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    edited December 2016
    Toms said:

History is not my forte, but I believe Ely cathedral and others were vandelised by Henry the eighth, with Thomas Cromwell as his hammer.
    Isn't there a wall there inset with dozens upon dozens of icons of saints, every one of which (bar one) was beheaded by Reformation vandals, Isis style?
  • Options

I can sense 'god' more through the ancient buildings than through people performing religious ceremonies.

People experiencing too deeply religious ceremonies I find somewhat scary.
    SeanT said:

Experiencing God is indeed a bit scary. To feel being in the Presence is a truly out of this world experience. I first encountered it in an underground House Church in India, in a state where the BJP had made evangelism a crime. I have experienced in other places since, but always triggered by a community of believers rather than buildings. It fades like a morning mist afterwards.

I am a Roundhead rather than a Cavalier by inclination, and see Cathedrals as museums rather than active faith communities.
This discussion has been closed.