Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LDs overturn Zac’s 23k majority with a lead of 1,872

Comments

• Options

Poor, old, vapid Zac.

https://twitter.com/naebD/status/804589117149499393

Marvellous to see PB Tories who were defending Zac's dog whistle mayoral campaign and made excuses for his disgusting MoS front page have now decided they didn't like him all along. Verily, if a week is a long time in politics a six month is a positive aeon of forgetfulness.

very "tim" esque.. tarring everyone with the same brush. I never liked Zac, I thought him arrogant and I don't believe in this nonsense of resigning and refighting your seat... and he's now got his come uppance.. as I posted BEFORE you

HAahahahahahaha
    Tim is never far from your thoughts, is he?
    He always had the PB Tories down to a tee.
  • Options

So that's three Eton old boys who have had a year to forget: Dave, Olly and Zac.

Boris has had his usual ups and downs.

The Mogg continues to do well.

Are there any other MPs who went to Eton ?

Tredinnick, Clifton-Brown, probably others
    Tredinnick is only famous for cash-for-questions.

I can't recall Clifton-Brown ever being in the spotlight.

So not Eton's finest.
    Tredinnick is also infamous for supporting mumbo jumbo homeopathy and astrology.
    That's right, I remember now.

He was able to upset our old friend tim on that issue.

So his political career hasn't been entirely without merit.
  • Options
    Blast. Woke up to this news. Another few quid lost.
  • Options

So that's three Eton old boys who have had a year to forget: Dave, Olly and Zac.

Tredinnick, Clifton-Brown, probably others
    Tredinnick is only famous for cash-for-questions.

I can't recall Clifton-Brown ever being in the spotlight.

So not Eton's finest.
    Tredinnick is also infamous for supporting mumbo jumbo homeopathy and astrology.
    That's right, I remember now.

He was able to upset our old friend tim on that issue.

So his political career hasn't been entirely without merit.
    You mean, there isn't an app that gives you a breakdown of where MPs went to school?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

MP_SE said:

@Black_Rook

This was an ideal site for an LD byelection, but far from unique. I think not so much shy LDs as downweighting in polls. We also see quite a lot of Council byelection victories. As an LD, I will have a spring in my step.

There are a good number of voters repelled by the intolerant, narrow mindedness of the Brexiteers, and alt. right, quite prepared to vote for a different sort of Britain. LDs are not fishing in a shallow pool.

Lessons clearly have not been learned. That sneering attitude from so many Europhiles almost certainly contributed to Remain losing the referendum.
    Nope. It is self-evidently true that to oppose membership of the European Union membership means you are intolerant, narrow minded and bigoted.

Basically, a bad person. We have been told, and we should learn.
    The nature of the Leave campaign is certainly something about which moral judgements can be made. It is a continuing and indelible stain on all that were involved in it.

Until Leave supporters recognise that pandering to xenophobia as a route to electoral victory has enduring consequences, Britain is condemned to remain divided and weakened indefinitely.
    Not all Leavers were intolerant xenophobes, but all intolereant xenophobes were Leavers.

Leave contained several subsets, including those expecting £350m extra per week for the NHS. Good people, albeit gullible.
    That's not true either.
    How's that well planned, tolerant, soft Brexit thing working out for ya? :lol:
    Speaking of tolerant..

https://twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/804591732847509504
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, that sort of thing is horrendous, but it's not confined to one side or the other. There are reasonable people and nutcases on both sides.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    By the way, May's constituency voted "Remain"...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

By the way, May's constituency voted "Remain"...

But May voted...?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217

Freggles said:

MP_SE said:

@Black_Rook

This was an ideal site for an LD byelection, but far from unique. I think not so much shy LDs as downweighting in polls. We also see quite a lot of Council byelection victories. As an LD, I will have a spring in my step.

There are a good number of voters repelled by the intolerant, narrow mindedness of the Brexiteers, and alt. right, quite prepared to vote for a different sort of Britain. LDs are not fishing in a shallow pool.

Lessons clearly have not been learned. That sneering attitude from so many Europhiles almost certainly contributed to Remain losing the referendum.
    Nope. It is self-evidently true that to oppose membership of the European Union membership means you are intolerant, narrow minded and bigoted.

The nature of the Leave campaign is certainly something about which moral judgements can be made. It is a continuing and indelible stain on all that were involved in it.

Until Leave supporters recognise that pandering to xenophobia as a route to electoral victory has enduring consequences, Britain is condemned to remain divided and weakened indefinitely.
    Not all Leavers were intolerant xenophobes, but all intolereant xenophobes were Leavers.

Leave contained several subsets, including those expecting £350m extra per week for the NHS. Good people, albeit gullible.
    That's not true either.
    Speaking of tolerant..

Twitter really does seem to stop some people's brains from working. How can anyone be stupid enough to think that's a clever or bright thing to publish?
  • Options
    Wtf? According to Telegraph, new LibDem MP said following:

that her election vote "paved the way for Parliament to "override" the EU withdrawal referendum result."

and

"The result was a rejection of the "politics of anger and division""

I'm a Remainer, but even I can see that this is crap. If Parliament does find a way to overturn the vote it will certainly not be rejection of the politics of anger and division.
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, that sort of thing is horrendous, but it's not confined to one side or the other. There are reasonable people and nutcases on both sides.

Remind me, how many Leave supporting MPs have been murdered by people who tell the courts their name is 'death to traitors'?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

"Calling Remainers unpatriotic is equally offensive, we just believe in a more open minded Britain."

I've no problem with Remainers. I shall be having a drink with some this afternoon and there's never been rancour. Real life is far more important than politics.

There does seem to be a worrying undercurrent in some area to demonise political opponents. Previously, this was the province of the extreme left and right. Remainers are not traitorous pig-dogs and Leavers are not thick knuckle-dragging Neanderthals. Zac's mistake in the Mayoral election was always to portray Sadiq as a hard-line extremist. He may be a hard-line politician but that's all (saying what the audience want to hear).

I do begin to fear that there is a split developing in this country. Londoners have always been regarded up here as effete and posh - a convenient stereotype - but more in sympathy than anger. But the stereotype of Leavers as stupid and racist has ratcheted things up. It allows the democratic will of the country to be disregarded with justification. Therein lie future problems.

LDs sense an opportunity, but they need to be careful. If they vote against Article 50, it won't be for good reasons. A sense of moral superiority may keep you warm, but friends it does not make. I speak as a former Labour voter up to Tony's appearance, and an LD voter up to 2015.

Congratulations to the LDs, but Richmond is Richmond. Not a barometer of anything.

+1

The LibDems are not just playing with fire if they try to stop the triggering of Article 50 (and I'm a frothing-at-the-mouth remainiac, and a party member). They are actually missing a huge opportunity. The Brexit vote is creating an existential crisis for the EU, which will play out over the next few years. In a strange kind of way, although we precipitated it, we've also given ourselves the opportunity to step aside for a few years during the upheavals.

If the LibDems play the long game as the pro-EU party, they can begin the (10 to 20 year) process of getting back into whatever will emerge as the new EU, and in the process rebuild themselves into a major political force over the long-term. This needs nerve, a willingness to play the long game, and a strong leader. Mmm...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If a party winning a by-election from a government whilst on just 7% in the polls some kind of record? It feels like it probably is.

SNP must have done it a few times ;-)

• Options

Freggles said:

MP_SE said:

@Black_Rook

That's not true either.
    Speaking of tolerant..

Twitter really does seem to stop some people's brains from working. How can anyone be stupid enough to think that's a clever or bright thing to publish?
    A well-publicised and long period in jail for a large number of these death threat idiots would help.
  • Options

TRIGGER WARNING FOR THE BREXITEERS

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/804606951011340288

Guy. We're still leaving. LOL

That is serious trolling. And also serious confirmation bias. Thing is that virtually all the Brits that Verhofstadht will talk to (apart from DeExEU) will be Remainers reinforcing the EU view that Brexit is stupid/disastrous and the narrow victory Leave achieved was by deception.

That is going to heavily influence the EU negotiating strategy because they won't think we're serious, and will want to offer an awful deal with an escape route back to staying as a member with David Cameron's deal perhaps thrown in again as a sweetener.

Which tells me this has the potential to go quite wrong.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Oh and btw, not to blow my own trumpet (blowing my own trumpet):

Nov 2 TOPPING:
    off topic I think the 6/4 LDs in Richmond is good value

Nov 2 TOPPING:
    LDs throwing a lot, and I mean a lot at it.

Not quite @Morris_Dancer F1 status but, modestly, not dreadful.

Well done. Wish I had listened. I knew LibDems would run it close, but was persuaded that a residual Zac personal vote would see him home.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,578
    Was amusing to hear our Diane on This Week last night trying to warn LibDems about the perils of going around attracting voters...
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, if we're dealing in guilt by loose association, do you blame Islam for terrorism? Should the Pope be blamed for the individual crimes of priests?

People are responsible for what they say and do, but they are not responsible for the actions of others.
  • Options

That is serious trolling. And also serious confirmation bias. Thing is that virtually all the Brits that Verhofstadht will talk to (apart from DeExEU) will be Remainers reinforcing the EU view that Brexit is stupid/disastrous and the narrow victory Leave achieved was by deception.

That is going to heavily influence the EU negotiating strategy because they won't think we're serious, and will want to offer an awful deal with an escape route back to staying as a member with David Cameron's deal perhaps thrown in again as a sweetener.

Agree with that.

The EU's response to our vote does not fill me with confidence. There seems to be no acknowledgement that the product they're selling is undesirable to many people.

That's a shame for them, as I doubt it's saleable in the long term to populations of some other EU countries.

They need to start listening.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,519

Agreed. And childish nonsense like this does not help either: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/theresa-may-banned-from-end-of-year-dinner-with-eu-leaders-at-major-brussels-summit-next-week/ar-AAl1aV4?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=iehp
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Nov 2 TOPPING:

Nov 2 TOPPING:

Well done. Wish I had listened. I knew LibDems would run it close, but was persuaded that a residual Zac personal vote would see him home.
    Exactly the same, my on the night trading was poor too - managed to turn a +150 Zac/+30 Lib Dem into a +25 Lib Dem win.

Big change from POTUS count style !
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    edited December 2016

Mr. Eagles, if we're dealing in guilt by loose association, do you blame Islam for terrorism? Should the Pope be blamed for the individual crimes of priests?

There's a prevalent view (sometimes even expressed on here I believe) that in both cases they should acknowledge at least some responsibility for or complicity in these events.
  • Options

Agree with that.

The EU's response to our vote does not fill me with confidence. There seems to be no acknowledgement that the product they're selling is undesirable to many people.

That's a shame for them, as I doubt it's saleable in the long term to populations of some other EU countries.

Agreed. The conclusion I reached that the EU could not and would not listen to democratic votes for reform was one of my key reasons for leaving. The pull was the long-term economic opportunities i saw for an independent UK as well as the political renewal.

I am frustrated that the debate got so out-of-hand (and I didn't exactly help at times) but I don't think I could have brought myself to vote to Remain in this organisation under any circumstances, even if it were overwhelmingly in my immediate economic interests.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

TOPPING said:

Nov 2 TOPPING:

Nov 2 TOPPING:

As was I, but I was also persuaded HRC and Remain would win. So unless the Sleaford byelection offers juicy odds (result = *much* easier to predict, IMO), I'll pass for the moment ...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Nov 2 TOPPING:

Nov 2 TOPPING:

As was I, but I was also persuaded HRC and Remain would win. So unless the Sleaford byelection offers juicy odds (result = *much* easier to predict, IMO), I'll pass for the moment ...
    Luckily my big win on Leave winning the referendum is sustaining me through POTUS and by-elections. I'm staying out of Sleaford, nothing to see here, move along.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, I wouldn't condemn a Muslim I knew because his brother came out with something stupid, or if he happened to have gone to school with someone who turned out to be a terrorist.

And this does cut both ways. The Polish chap who was murdered shortly after the vote immediately had his tragic death portrayed by an eager media as related to the referendum, only for it to emerge it was, allegedly, a gang of mixed race youths who did it.

Farage has repeatedly been chased out of pubs and the like (sometimes with his family). I said at the time it was politics of Milo and Clodius. We're rather closer to that now.

If we end up staying in the EU or having a departure in name only, that will foster more bitterness and resentment, and things will get worse, rather than better. If we leave, then things will gradually improve.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, I think Juncker has since said that there should be another referendum (in other countries) because they might also vote to leave.

Well, quite.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Nov 2 TOPPING:

Nov 2 TOPPING:

Exactly the same, my on the night trading was poor too - managed to turn a +150 Zac/+30 Lib Dem into a +25 Lib Dem win.

Big change from POTUS count style !
    I had too little invested to bother to stay past 1:30am. I note though in passing that Chris Mason is turning out to be a rather amusing fellow to report by-election news. I seem to recall him replying to Andrew Neil, that it was "second banana time here at the Richmond count."
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Nov 2 TOPPING:

Nov 2 TOPPING:

Luckily my big win on Leave winning the referendum is sustaining me through POTUS and by-elections. I'm staying out of Sleaford, nothing to see here, move along.
    I have bet on Sleaford but am taking no chances lol:

Against Conservatives
    £152.57
    £16.78
    £152.57
    For Conservatives
    £152.57
    £152.57
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Surely the government's majority is currently 9.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Via WikiGuido

Tories believed Zac had a 10 point lead with two weeks to go, then debate became all about Brexit. Knocking up yesterday was "a disaster".

Lib Dem poll indeed had Zac 10 points ahead but 2 provisos: MOE and GOTV. It was never enough.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Oh dear,how sad. He genuinely beleived he was going to be elected to national acclaim. What a fool.
  • Options

Olly? Gideon? He was not Eton. They called him Oik
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,943

A great result for the Lib Dems and a damning indictment on Mrs May.

Actually this whole situation is due to Dave's failures:

1. The self indulgent Zac Goldsmith himself is a throw-back to Cameron filling the party with metropolitan posh boys!

2. Cameron holding and blowing the referendum.

3. Cameron dithering for six years over Heathrow.

Mrs May is just trying to resolve Cameron's very many failures.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Dixie said:

Good morning, everyone.

Congratulations to the Lib Dems.

2016 = the year of puncturing the hubris of Etonians, it would seem [amongst other things].

What an idiot Goldsmith was to make that promise in the first place.

Correct. He should have said: I will never stop fighting to stop a 3rd runway. Back me, vote for me, I will be there for you. He is not verbally flexible enough. It is not honesty, it is inflexibility of thought and communication.
    And probably should not have said, as the campaign started, that he agreed it was a silly promise and if he had his time again would not have made it in the first place? He as good as told them he was wasting their time.
    indeed. As I said before, he is not a flexible thinker or speaker.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38178625

Trump names Gen James 'Mad Dog' Mattis as defence secretary
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

1. The self indulgent Zac Goldsmith himself is a throw-back to Cameron filling the party with metropolitan posh boys!

Under Dave's watch the Tories gain and hold Richmond Park by 23k.

On Mrs May's watch the Tories don't get a single vote in Richmond Park
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    I went to some European meetings in a peripheral way - for scientific input only - and I thought it was, at heart, a noble enterprise. However, it was always 28 different countries with 28 different priorities, although you did gang up on a quid pro quo basis.

The only way to achieve the founders' real objectives is to create a country/state called Europe. Where a Norwegian acknowledges an Italian as a fellow countryman. Therefore what's good for Italy is good for Norway.

The leaders realise that is not politically possible, so it is more a lumbering up/down approach a bit at a time and hoping no one notices the general direction. I find that dishonest and slightly insulting. No matter how well-intentioned they are.

But that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    and twats like Guy are one of the reasons for leaving EU
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, I wouldn't condemn a Muslim I knew because his brother came out with something stupid, or if he happened to have gone to school with someone who turned out to be a terrorist.

And this does cut both ways. The Polish chap who was murdered shortly after the vote immediately had his tragic death portrayed by an eager media as related to the referendum, only for it to emerge it was, allegedly, a gang of mixed race youths who did it.

Farage has repeatedly been chased out of pubs and the like (sometimes with his family). I said at the time it was politics of Milo and Clodius. We're rather closer to that now.

If we end up staying in the EU or having a departure in name only, that will foster more bitterness and resentment, and things will get worse, rather than better. If we leave, then things will gradually improve.

Point of order: I believe someone's just been charged with manslaughter over the Harlow case, so we should be careful.

But I will make the point that just because the gang was mixed-race, does not mean that the referendum and the febrile atmosphere around it was irrelevant. People who commit such crimes don't necessarily think logically about such things, and the atmosphere can play into existing prejudices and pressures locally.

It's easy to imagine being the child of immigrants who sees the UK as home, but can't get a job because of all these Eastern European incomers. They're the problem. They're not English. You are. And anyway, your parents were the *right sort of immigrant*.
  • Options

I haven't seen any news reports on the racial mix of the gang that murdered the Pole, but I'm not sure how them being 'mixed race' automatically disqualifies the incident from being related to the referendum.

By that rather facile token, you'll be expecting more bitterness and resentment to be fostered in Scotland (and NI) if a definitive departure from the EU is forced through?
  • Options
    That said... I do think there's a danger that, as someone here wrote 'the centre cannot hold'. There's a wide spectrum of possible outcomes, many of which are entirely reasonable, but which may be deemed unacceptable by eurofederalists or backbench headbangers.

Excepting departing the customs union, I'm pretty flexible about what could work.

As an aside, there was an interesting BBC piece on the news last night about Ivory Coast and chocolate exports, though it did fail to point out we can only negotiate our own deal if we leave the customs union.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, I think Juncker has since said that there should be another referendum (in other countries) because they might also vote to leave.

Well, quite.

Ultimately, if the EU cannot command the democratic consent of its populace, and respond to its concerns, it will fall. It's not exactly stable at the moment, albeit opinion polls show most Europeans still favour it, but it is also rather dicey.

I see no evidence the EU has shown any capability to reform or listen, so, right now, I think the EU will fail. Certainly in its current form.

This could take anything from 5-20 years. Unless things change.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nobody calls me Mad Dog.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, no. Because bitterness would be fostered by ignoring a democratic vote, not respecting it.

Amended - removed reference to the case, see below.

Mr. Jessop, I tried to be deliberately vague on that point, but if a mod would like to amend that post to remove the reference that might be best (just to be on the safe side).
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    I wonder if the Leavers are underplaying this victory for Open Europe a mite too much? Tory Remainia is wealthy, powerful – and angry. The Leavers are starting to look like ideologues without a care for the economy. Much can change in a year. This is just the beginning.

Great victory for Open last night. Bravo.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Bad year for the posh boys continues..
  • Options
    Although Lincolnshire is the most Brexit county in Britain, with three areas voting >70% to leave the federal superstate, Sleaford is one of the less Brexit supporting areas, at just over 60%.

However, the Lib Dems have never exceeded 20% of the vote, so the Remain vote should split between Labour and Lib Dem fairly evenly leaving it a safe Con hold.

At any rate a far cry from Richmond Park with 70% Remain and a long history of Liberal MPs and close challengers.

If anything the vote in Sleaford should be for UKIp to protest Brexit not happening fast enough.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I like him. He commanded I MEF superbly during the Iraq War.

Excellently chronicled in the book by Ray Smith and Bing West
  • Options

So Zac gets the invite to the silly dances, cake baking and insect eating.

Now what does this mean for the next betting occasions in Austria and Italy:

1) Once again Betfair and the polls were wrong - so van der Bellen and Yes being at 3 and above are surely worth a few pounds.

2) The anti-government candidate won - so Hofer and No should win.

Except for 2015 GE, Brexit, Trump and Zac favourite yesterday, Polls have been quite good!! (not)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    A brilliant night for George Osborne.

His "I told you so" campaign looking better every day...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,943
    edited December 2016

GIN1138 said:

It was a poor decision for thje Tories not to stand a candidate. They should have thrown Zac to the wolves the moment he did his flounce.
  • Options

Well, quite.

Ultimately, if the EU cannot command the democratic consent of its populace, and respond to its concerns, it will fall. It's not exactly stable at the moment, albeit opinion polls show most Europeans still favour it, but it is also rather dicey.

I see no evidence the EU has shown any capability to reform or listen, so, right now, I think the EU will fail. Certainly in its current form.

Personally, I think the Euro will eat the Europe Union.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

and twats like Guy are one of the reasons for leaving EU

Great work from Guy – what a, erm, guy!
  • Options
    Re:Austria and Italy. The bigot has got every chance. He got 49.9% last time. As for Italy, an anti-establishment vote is certainly on the cards.
  • Options
    the Polish man who was killed was seized upon gleefully by the media, almost as gleefully as the murder of Jo Cox.

Same thing happens in the US, any titbits of Trump supporters being obnoxious are seized upon while ignoring any contrary evidence.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

TOPPING said:

Nov 2 TOPPING:

Nov 2 TOPPING:

By 'juicy' odds I mean seriously wrong, up to 1.5; e.g., Tory seats in General Election 2015.

But maybe I should stick to betting my GE-2015 winnings on local seats that I know in GE-2020, not on faraway Lincs.!
  • Options
    Orange is the new Zac.

Genius.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

So Farron is deeming this result as "the fight back of the 48%".

I'm amazed politicians haven't yet grasped that results in London are rarely indicative of the wider country.

I'm sure they have grasped that. But they need to inspire the troops as they work on the rest.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,843

Agree with that.

Agreed. The conclusion I reached that the EU could not and would not listen to democratic votes for reform was one of my key reasons for leaving. The pull was the long-term economic opportunities i saw for an independent UK as well as the political renewal.

I am frustrated that the debate got so out-of-hand (and I didn't exactly help at times) but I don't think I could have brought myself to vote to Remain in this organisation under any circumstances, even if it were overwhelmingly in my immediate economic interests.
    Fair enough. But people need to understand there's an equivalent group who support staying in the EU because it's the right thing to do. It sounds like David L's daughter is in this group. The assumption that Remainers are more reluctant than Leavers is a false one, I think. They're still pretty angry with Brexit. (Personally I am motivated by what's in the country's interest LOL and don't really take an ideological position one way or the other)

Mr Verhofstadt's comments are inappropriate for an elected official of an organisation that still contains Britain but they don't actually matter. They can only offend us but we're leaving anyway. Nobody else cares. The EU can hardly trash the negotiations and the relationship when it we've already done it ourselves.
  • Options

Mr. Dixie, yes, although that's with hindsight. If Goldsmith had won by 500 votes, everyone would be saying how wise May had been.

Indeed. Success has many fathers. Only Corbyn is keeping Tories in the sunshine. They have a real problem.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

@Black_Rook

A cute phrase but untrue. I personally know two intolerant xenophobes who said they voted remain, albeit hardly for positive reasons - they were sure when we leave the eu will screw us over more than we can deal with.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

It was a poor decision for thje Tories not to stand a candidate. They should have thrown Zac to the wolves the moment he did his flounce.
    You can see why they didn't, they would have come third.
  • Options
    Mr. Jobabob, that's possible but it could mean a continuing/deepening of a dividing line between those who benefit from the status quo and those who don't.
  • Options
    If we could get rid of the utterly useless Corbyn and his band on idiot followers, Olney's victory could be the start of a very wise realignment. Labour members were campaigning for the Liberals yesterday – the utterly pathetic Corbyn has no control over the sensible wing of his party.

So Open vs Closed:

Open gets the brightest and best of Britain, from the Cameroons to the old Tory Left to the Blairites to the Orange Bookers to the Greens to the Brownites to the Beveridge Group, the City, big business and the TUC.

Closed gets the Red BNP knuckledraggers (Speedy, Sandy and their acolytes), the actual BNP, the Far Left, Ukip and the three clowns of the apocalypse.

Bring on the good fight.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Jobabob said:

I wonder if the Leavers are underplaying this victory for Open Europe a mite too much? Tory Remainia is wealthy, powerful – and angry. The Leavers are starting to look like ideologues without a care for the economy. Much can change in a year. This is just the beginning.

Glad to see you back Bobajob. Spent your Trump winnings yet?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    Credit where credit is due - well done to the LibDems. Especially well done in squeezing the Labour vote until the pips squeaked.

Oh, and adding to my nonsense of last night on PC tube stations:

Hummusmith
    BAME Multi-faith prayer room
  • Options
    dogbasket said:

Although Lincolnshire is the most Brexit county in Britain, with three areas voting >70% to leave the federal superstate, Sleaford is one of the less Brexit supporting areas, at just over 60%.

However, the Lib Dems have never exceeded 20% of the vote, so the Remain vote should split between Labour and Lib Dem fairly evenly leaving it a safe Con hold.

At any rate a far cry from Richmond Park with 70% Remain and a long history of Liberal MPs and close challengers.

If anything the vote in Sleaford should be for UKIp to protest Brexit not happening fast enough.

UKIP were a close third to Labour last time, will they come second or even win?
  • Options
    "Under Dave's watch the Tories gain and hold Richmond Park by 23k.

On Mrs May's watch the Tories don't get a single vote in Richmond Park"

By-election, not comparable.

The Tories can hope to gain swathes of Labour seats at the next election for Labour being a disaster including Brexit areas such as Wolverhampton SW, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Barrow & Furness, Dewsbury, Wrexham, NE Derbyshire, and others.
  • Options

DavidL said:

My younger daughter has recently announced that she has switched her loyalty from the Tories to the Lib Dems. She was a great fan of Cameron but has little time for May and finds Farron normal and likeable (something I was teasing her about only at tea time yesterday). Clearly she was ahead of the trend.

For the Tories this is a risk. Cameron and Osborne built their majority on the back of the bodies of their erstwhile coalition partners. They did so by repositioning the Tories as a centre party with a liberal social agenda and it played very well in Lib Dem seats.

In contrast May is much more of a traditional Conservative. This has allowed her to pick up some of the support that Cameron had lost to UKIP boosting her standing in the polls to remarkable levels. But are the Tories in danger of swopping the votes they needed to win a majority for ever larger majorities in already safe seats? I think they are and that this result, albeit helped by Zac's stupidity, is a good example of that.

I may not be following my daughter yet but I am massively less enthusiastic about May than I was about Cameron and Osborne. If it wasn't for Ruth...

Fox jr and his girlfriend are both now inclined to the LDs too. Tuition fees are ancient history to them, but Brexit is very real.

There will be reality checks, but this is the start of a long road back for the LDa
    Inclined is the problem. Lots of peop,e were inclined LD until one major decision they didn't like and they didn't even weight to see if the cost woukd be worth it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

Cheers sir. Yes, I have lavished them some new clothing for Lady Ajob. I very nearly sloshed some more on Olney last night but didn't think I could possibly win another longshot bet this year. More fool me. Looking forward to 2017, bizarrely.

Hope all good in your world.
  • Options

Orange is the new Zac.

Genius.

That is genius.
  • Options

DavidL said:

My younger daughter has recently announced that she has switched her loyalty from the Tories to the Lib Dems. She was a great fan of Cameron but has little time for May and finds Farron normal and likeable (something I was teasing her about only at tea time yesterday). Clearly she was ahead of the trend.

For the Tories this is a risk. Cameron and Osborne built their majority on the back of the bodies of their erstwhile coalition partners. They did so by repositioning the Tories as a centre party with a liberal social agenda and it played very well in Lib Dem seats.

In contrast May is much more of a traditional Conservative. This has allowed her to pick up some of the support that Cameron had lost to UKIP boosting her standing in the polls to remarkable levels. But are the Tories in danger of swopping the votes they needed to win a majority for ever larger majorities in already safe seats? I think they are and that this result, albeit helped by Zac's stupidity, is a good example of that.

I may not be following my daughter yet but I am massively less enthusiastic about May than I was about Cameron and Osborne. If it wasn't for Ruth...

If that is what's happening (a Con-LD swing, offset by a UKIP-Con one), it'd depend on the numbers but my gut instinct is that it'd see some losses to LDs in SW England and SW London, offset by gains from Labour in Mids, NW and Yorks. But with the majority so slim, which factor would be bigger is critical and would obviously depend on the numbers.
    A sensible view I think.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    Jobabob said:

If we could get rid of the utterly useless Corbyn and his band on idiot followers, Olney's victory could be the start of a very wise realignment. Labour members were campaigning for the Liberals yesterday – the utterly pathetic Corbyn has no control over the sensible wing of his party.

So Open vs Closed:

Open gets the brightest and best of Britain, from the Cameroons to the old Tory Left to the Blairites to the Orange Bookers to the Greens to the Brownites to the Beveridge Group, the City, big business and the TUC.

Closed gets the Red BNP knuckledraggers (Speedy, Sandy and their acolytes), the actual BNP, the Far Left, Ukip and the three clowns of the apocalypse.

Bring on the good fight.

"Red BNP knuckledraggers" - never been described as that before.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Guy. We're still leaving.

Agree with that.

Fair enough. But people need to understand there's an equivalent group who support staying in the EU because it's the right thing to do. It sounds like David L's daughter is in this group. The assumption that Remainers are more reluctant than Leavers is a false one, I think. They're still pretty angry with Brexit. (Personally I am motivated by what's in the country's interest LOL and don't really take an ideological position one way or the other)

Mr Verhofstadt's comments are inappropriate for an elected official of an organisation that still contains Britain but they don't actually matter. They can only offend us but we're leaving anyway. Nobody else cares. The EU can hardly trash the negotiations and the relationship when it we've already done it ourselves.
    Understood- fair post.
  • Options
    Zac Goldsmith is the new Ted Heath.

Both lost two elections in the same year
  • Options
    dogbasket said:

"Under Dave's watch the Tories gain and hold Richmond Park by 23k.

On Mrs May's watch the Tories don't get a single vote in Richmond Park"

By-election, not comparable.

The Tories can hope to gain swathes of Labour seats at the next election for Labour being a disaster including Brexit areas such as Wolverhampton SW, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Barrow & Furness, Dewsbury, Wrexham, NE Derbyshire, and others.

What do you reckon to Pennsylvania suddenly "finding" 18,000 Hillary NET votes in Philadelphia :p ?

For POTUS 2020 time to start compiling a list of states that report dodgily late results in case its close again.
  • Options
    "UKIP were a close third to Labour last time, will they come second or even win?"

UKIP didn't do that well in Sleaford in 2015, they got 15.7%, which is only barely above average (they won 14.1% across England).

Had the by-election been called in neighbouring Appalachian Trumpland, sorry Boston & Skegness, where UKIP scored 34% they might have a chance.

But Sleaford is a proper Tory shire, in effect (Boston & Skegness was marginal in 1997 and 2001, but Labour have never come close to winning Sleaford).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So Farron is deeming this result as "the fight back of the 48%".

I'm amazed politicians haven't yet grasped that results in London are rarely indicative of the wider country.

I'm sure they have grasped that. But they need to inspire the troops as they work on the rest.
    Quite right. Plus the Red BNP brigade bizarrely quite like Corbyn (or some of them do) so Labour Leave seats up north are still safe-ish and would never vote Tory in any case.

QT last night was revealing. Lots of anti-immigrant sentiment in an area where – guess what – there are very few immigrants. 96% of Wakefielders are white. Only 2.5% were born outside the UK. So what are they so scared of? This fear of an non-present outsider is common to many Labour Leave places.
  • Options

The question Tim Farron wasn't asked this morning (because it wasn't relevant) is who do the Lib Dems support in a hung parliament. For any third party - but particularly one positioning themselves as 'centrist' - that is a question they must always be ready to answer. For those seats in SW London and the wider SE, how does he choose between Corbyn, who would go down like a bucket of cold sick with those voters, and May, upon whom he's directing all his firepower?

They've never answered it before, and I don't think they'll start. The practical answer most likely depends on the parliamentary arithmetic; The chances that they'll have kingmaker power are quite small. In the unlikely event that they do have kingmaker power, they'll want to keep their options open and negotiate the best deal they can.
    Clegg answered it before 2010 i.e. 'we're prepared to talk to both but the party with most votes gets first chance'. That clearly indicated a willingness to support either Brown or Cameron. Farron will need to answer whether he would be prepared - given an acceptable policy deal to his party - to (1) put Corbyn in No 10; (2) keep May in No 10. Those are the only options as things stand.
    No, Clegg answered it with a masterpiece of vagueness, namely that he made a commitment to talk to the parties. In practice it seemed like for a deal with Lab to be on the cards they'd have to get rid of Brown, but in any case they didn't have the numbers.
    The vagueness was surely necessary. If you're not willing to talk to one side then in a hung parliament situation you're already in a form of alliance with the other, and while it was provably so that More of the LDs preferred a deal with labour, though the numbers in the end made that difficult, they woukd have lost votes ruling out working the Tories, i fir one voted LD and was very annoyed by the commentariat declaring the LDs had betrayed my vote by going into cialition.

. I doubt the situation will arise again anytime soon, but could they be so vague again, given last time, onkybtheyd say they'd be much stricter on what they'd give up for a deal? Woukd they explicitly say they'd prefer labour, but it depends on what they are offered as to what would be best for the country?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    dogbasket said:

the Polish man who was killed was seized upon gleefully by the media, almost as gleefully as the murder of Jo Cox.

Same thing happens in the US, any titbits of Trump supporters being obnoxious are seized upon while ignoring any contrary evidence.

Quite. What I find most amusing is the outrage about Fox. They're the only TV network that supports a rightish agenda - all the rest are pro-liberal - as can be seen by their coverage of Team Hillary and Obama. And of course the private dinners at Podesta's own house.

Having a subscription cable channel who disagrees is apparently APPALLING whilst all the rest are promoting the liberal agenda and that's fine and dandy.

It's beyond daft, and frankly I don't bother with anyone who resorts to the Fox argument to make a point.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

So Open vs Closed:

Bring on the good fight.

"Red BNP knuckledraggers" - never been described as that before.
    How is that £350m a week for the NHS that you promised the natives working out for you?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

Cheers sir. Yes, I have lavished them some new clothing for Lady Ajob. I very nearly sloshed some more on Olney last night but didn't think I could possibly win another longshot bet this year. More fool me. Looking forward to 2017, bizarrely.

Very nice, I hope she enjoys her new clothes!

The world is a strange place, but my little corner is looking up. Just completed the purchase of my Zurich house and sold my Shepherds Bush place for a pretty huge profit a couple of weeks back.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, congrats :)
  • Options
    Well done to the Lib Dems. I think some people are getting a little bit carried with a LD revival though. There are very few of their target seats which were so strongly for remain. The seats I think they could win with a strongly anti-Brexit message are:

Twickenham (c maj - 2,000; 69% remain)
    Kingston (c maj - 2,800; 62% remain)
    Cheltenham (c maj - 6,500; 56% remain)
    Bath (c maj - 3,800; 58% remain in BANES (probably higher in Bath city))
    Winchester (c maj - 17,000; 59% remain in the district (probably higher in Winchester city))
    OXWAB (c maj - 9,500; 72% Oxford; 57% Vale of White Horse)
    Lewes (c maj - 1,100; 52% remain)
    Cheadle (c maj - 6,500; Stockport borough 53% remain but likely higher here as Stockport town probably voted to leave)
    Hazel Grove (c maj - 6,600; as above)
    St Albans (c maj -12,700 over Lab, 15,300 over LD; 63% remain)
    Cambridge (Lab maj -599; 74% remain)

I would also expect the LDs to get close in S Cambs and Guildford

However, on the other side of the ledger a strongly anti-Brexit message could cost them 2 seats:

Carshalton (LD maj 1,500; Sutton 54% leave)
    North Norfolk (LD maj 4,000; 59% leave)

I can also see the LDs losing ground in a number of other target seats such as Eastbourne, Torbay, Burnley, Yeovil, Portsmouth S and North Devon, which all voted strongly for leave
  • Options
    "What do you reckon to Pennsylvania suddenly "finding" 18,000 Hillary NET votes in Philadelphia :p ?

For POTUS 2020 time to start compiling a list of states that report dodgily late results in case its close again."

As I understand it there is a small but real risk of a recount affecting results, and a bigger risk of transcribing errors during the counting.

Something like 0.2% is a normal 'recount' error (although it could go eitherway) http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/recounts-rarely-reverse-election-results/

I think when early results are clear, but tight (0.5%? maybe) you would not want to bet at very short odds, because of the risk of an early error. Not 1.01, at any rate. Also note that states that went the right way for the loser (Hillary) are less at risk of being recounted, so that 2,500 vote margin she won by there is much safer than Pennyslvania or wherever.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, were those states enough to tip the scales?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

RobD said:

Freggles said:

RobD said:

Freggles said:

RobD said:

Freggles said:

Daily Mail reader comment

Apparently it would seem that Zac Goldsmith lost.Can we now have another vote on this because it was not the result that some people wanted?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/reader-comments/p/comment/link/160541910

No, let's take the Leave approach. Lib Dems won, that's the end of it, no second election in 2020, the people have spoken you undemocratic traitor. Richmond Park is yellow until the end of time regardless of anything else
    Except referendums aren't periodic, while elections to Parliament are.
    Are you suggesting that in a democracy people can change their minds? Remoaner nonsense.
    No, but can you imagine us having referendums on leaving/joining the EU every five years?
    Fortunately we don't have to, just when we're at a critical juncture like being offered a specific deal, or a new Treaty. Outside that, regular elections will be just fine.
    A vote on the deal is stupid. Either we vote yes to the deal, and leave, or we vote no to the deal, and leave on even worse terms.
    That ship sailed when Cameron promised a referendum but only with two options

If we are going to leave, we should have some mechanism to gain a mandate for whether to take a softer deal, our go full WTO hard as nails Brexit. Lance the boil. Otherwise someone will shout betrayal.
    There is one way. A ge. A month ago I'd have said in a ge the Tories woukd campaign for hard, UKIP for apocalyptically hard, labour soft, LDs and green reverse Brexit, and labour for soft.

As it is, we'll just have the phony period ongoing, with remoAners looking for opportunities and hardcore brexiteers using the word betrayal so much you'd think they have a verbal tic.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    What does that make Johnson?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The question Tim Farron wasn't asked this morning (because it wasn't relevant) is who do the Lib Dems support in a hung parliament. For any third party - but particularly one positioning themselves as 'centrist' - that is a question they must always be ready to answer. For those seats in SW London and the wider SE, how does he choose between Corbyn, who would go down like a bucket of cold sick with those voters, and May, upon whom he's directing all his firepower?

They've never answered it before, and I don't think they'll start. The practical answer most likely depends on the parliamentary arithmetic; The chances that they'll have kingmaker power are quite small. In the unlikely event that they do have kingmaker power, they'll want to keep their options open and negotiate the best deal they can.
    Clegg answered it before 2010 i.e. 'we're prepared to talk to both but the party with most votes gets first chance'. That clearly indicated a willingness to support either Brown or Cameron. Farron will need to answer whether he would be prepared - given an acceptable policy deal to his party - to (1) put Corbyn in No 10; (2) keep May in No 10. Those are the only options as things stand.
    No, Clegg answered it with a masterpiece of vagueness, namely that he made a commitment to talk to the parties. In practice it seemed like for a deal with Lab to be on the cards they'd have to get rid of Brown, but in any case they didn't have the numbers.
    The vagueness was surely necessary. If you're not willing to talk to one side then in a hung parliament situation you're already in a form of alliance with the other, and while it was provably so that More of the LDs preferred a deal with labour, though the numbers in the end made that difficult, they woukd have lost votes ruling out working the Tories, i fir one voted LD and was very annoyed by the commentariat declaring the LDs had betrayed my vote by going into cialition.

. I doubt the situation will arise again anytime soon, but could they be so vague again, given last time, onkybtheyd say they'd be much stricter on what they'd give up for a deal? Woukd they explicitly say they'd prefer labour, but it depends on what they are offered as to what would be best for the country?
    Well, they might conceivably be more explicit about red lines. Obviously this closes off options, but it also potentially strengthens them in negotiations when it comes to getting those things. I think they're generally better refusing to commit, though. The problem is that once they say No Deal Without X, people are then going to say, what about Y and Z?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

Very nice, I hope she enjoys her new clothes!

The world is a strange place, but my little corner is looking up. Just completed the purchase of my Zurich house and sold my Shepherds Bush place for a pretty huge profit a couple of weeks back.
    Good for you. I remember you deliberating when you were buying it. Glad you took the plunge sir.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:
    What does that make Johnson?
    A Leppo.
  • Options

Mr. Max, congrats :)

Thanks. It all seemed so daunting when I got the job, but step by step it's all coming together.
  • Options

That said... I do think there's a danger that, as someone here wrote 'the centre cannot hold'. There's a wide spectrum of possible outcomes, many of which are entirely reasonable, but which may be deemed unacceptable by eurofederalists or backbench headbangers.

Excepting departing the customs union, I'm pretty flexible about what could work.

As an aside, there was an interesting BBC piece on the news last night about Ivory Coast and chocolate exports, though it did fail to point out we can only negotiate our own deal if we leave the customs union.

The only chocolate I remember seeing on sale in Africa generally came from Romania, the Romanians having apparently solved the problem of it melting before anyone bought it by putting hardly any chocolate into it in the first place.
  • Options

DavidL said:

MP_SE said:

@Black_Rook

The intolerance of some Europhiles and their contempt for their own country was also something to see. For me Brexit was something that sensible people could easily come to differing conclusions on with quite strong arguments on both sides. The extremists of both sides had very little of value to add.
    I do not have contempt for my country, any more than you have for Scotland.

The thought that "No true Scot opposes independence" is very offensive to Unionist Scots, and the parallel with Britain in Europe is apposite. Calling Remainers unpatriotic is equally offensive, we just believe in a more open minded Britain.
    He said 'some europhiles' not all.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

dogbasket said:

UKIP were a close third to Labour last time, will they come second or even win?
    Nope , they are struggling to keep 3rd place behind Con , Labour and Marianne Overton the Independent .
  • Options
    "I would also expect the LDs to get close in S Cambs and Guildford"

I think this requires an overall national relevance for Lib Dems in 2020. I don't think Brexit will necessarily provide that any more, 4 years from now.

I also don't think Guildford is as hard Remain as Richmond Park was - Richmond is much more aggressively pro-cosmopolitanism, whereas Guildford I think it's more of a 'preference'. Rich commuters are different from rich Londoners.
  • Options

Yes, but some of us brexiteers get very sensitive. Christ, the loonies ones talk of betrayal and enemies of the people if you suggest it will be difficult, not destined to succeed or point out the law (as currently interpreted)
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Well, quite.

Personally, I think the Euro will eat the Europe Union.
    The trouble with predicting collapses and calamities - serious point - is that even when you are right, they take much much longer to come about than you expect. Our capacity for muddling through any kind of trouble shouldn't be underestimated, and you can lose a lot of money positioning for a collapse while things apparently continue merrily in the opposite direction.

Edit/case study: Uk housing market
This discussion has been closed.