Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » These, I’m told, are part of Labour’s new message

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » These, I’m told, are part of Labour’s new message

Corbyn's big idea pic.twitter.com/zKdHBjKGTu

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Androids and robots are now labour's target voters
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    The Internet of things?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Jeeeeez Jezza.....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Third!
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 841
    Warms the cickles of your heart!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    I am sure it's me after a long and exceptionally tedious day in court but what does the second one mean?
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 841
    sorry "warms the cockles of your heart"
  • Options
    So Labour is targetting computer programmers as voters - in order to make the Working Class superfluous.

Sounds logical - if you have a death wish.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Mindless drones.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Last thread: Trump wants Farage because he thinks rest of world does what America does and appoint political ambassadors. Trump will choose a mate for London, and this will be normal. We don't. Nor do any other western countries.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Jezza is a twat and disorganized. Keep going, mate.
  • Options
    Corbyn needs to start quoting from the Moody Blues as well. Chant the word Om.....

This garden universe vibrates complete
    Some may get a sound so sweet
    Vibrations reach on up to become light
    And then through gamma, out of sight

Between the eyes and ears there lie
    The sounds of color and the light of a sigh
    And to hear the sun, what a thing to believe

But it's all around if we could but perceive
    To know ultra violet, infra-red and X-rays
    Beauty to find in so many ways

Two notes of the chord, that's our full scope
    But to reach the chord is our life's hope
    And to name the chord is important to some
    So they give a word and the word is Om
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    DavidL said:

I am sure it's me after a long and exceptionally tedious day in court but what does the second one mean?

If it gives you any comfort, I'm still on the first.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who thinks The Internet of Things sounds like a term created for the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,889
    DavidL said:

He's been reading about Musk, who people have been telling him is cool.
  • Options
    Ok so I have now googled cyber physical systems but I am none the wiser. Hands up who thinks Corbyn understands these things. Anybody? .... Anybody at all?
  • Options
    But how long before Trump endorses Corbyn? ('A great man with some truly great ideas. Visionary. Great, great man.') From the humiliation being poured on May, we surely can't rule it out.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Is the new message designed to be understood by anyone without subscriptions to the new statesman?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Corbynites have been having a go at me for highlighting "cyber physical systems" and "the internet of things".

I don't doubt these are real things. But when you have to forward me a link to a vague article explaining these often ambigious concepts, then your messaging is utterly crap.

• Options
    timmo said:

The Internet of things?

Friends of mine call the 'Internet of Things' the 'Internet of Tat'.

And if recent stories are true, the Internet of Insecure Tat.
  • Options
    According to LabourList - 'Jeremy will commit Labour to backing the “innovators, entrepreneurs and investors” but add a reminder that businesses must “live up to their side of the deal” on issues such as workers’ rights and the payment of tax.

“Labour is setting out the path to a better alternative that’s about good intervention. In fact, it’s intervention for the common good,” he is due to say.'

Big words for a guy who lacks the support of 70% of his own PLP and can't fill his frontbench.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    "No taxation without representation" it ain't!
  • Options

DavidL said:

If it gives you any comfort, I'm still on the first.
    LOL. I needed a good laugh. Thanks.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2016
    timmo said:

The Internet of things?

Using interconnected smart technology to basically control and do everything.

Sounds like a surefire route to obesity and unemployment.

• Options

Corbynites have been having a go at me for highlighting "cyber physical systems" and "the internet of things".

I don't doubt these are real things. But when you have to forward me a link to a vague article explaining these often ambigious concepts, then your messaging is utterly crap

"Internet of Things"

The ability for your fridge to accidentally order one hundred punnets of strawberries to be delivered next door, then run a Distributed Denial of Service on the US Department of Defence.
  • Options

I don't doubt these are real things. But when you have to forward me a link to a vague article explaining these often ambigious concepts, then your messaging is utterly crap.

If you're explaining, you're losing...
  • Options

DavidL said:

Labour takes the sea of tranquility. I can see it now.
  • Options
    God we haven't had a good old fashioned let's laugh at Jeremy Corbyn thread for ages. I've missed it. Politics has been way too serious of late.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,900
    edited November 2016
    This is the other end of the spectrum (To Trump) where your social media presence has zero input from yourself. It drags down that one quality Corbyn actually had - authenticity.

Does anyone believe Corbyn himself is coming up with this guff ?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619

Am I the only one who thinks The Internet of Things sounds like a term created for the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

It's a real thing. If you attach the right chips to everything (toasters, cows, your mother) and allow those chips to talk to each other, then you have a great deal of control (or more realistically you have enormous data). Real-life applications include:

* You can now switch your heating/boiler on/off remotely with your phone
    * Your car can send out a large amount of data, enabling you to reduce your insurance
    * The inventor of Candy Crush receives an enormous amount of data per second from all the people worldwide

• Options
    viewcode said:

It's a real thing. If you attach the right chips to everything (toasters, cows, your mother) and allow those chips to talk to each other, then you have a great deal of control (or more realistically you have enormous data). Real-life applications include:

* Your car can send out a large amount of data, enabling you to reduce your insurance
    * The inventor of Candy Crush receives an enormous amount of data per second from all the people worldwide

Yes but most of it is 3 pineapples in a row.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    timmo said:

The Internet of things?

He means attaching electrodes to Owen Thingy.
  • Options
    Of course the downside of a massive amount of insecure things with wifi is you can hack into the chips and launch a DDoS attack

And that's already happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Dyn_cyberattack
  • Options
    I FEEL what Jeremy is trying to say (as we've discussed here) is that he favours massive Government spending (as all Labour Governments do) but he wants this massive Government spending to go on stuff like autobahns, 3D printers and fibre optic broadband, and other useful things with supposedly lasting benefits rather than down the NHS' insatiable gullet or providing schools with shitty electronic whiteboards.

Which as a shift in policy I find a marginal improvement.

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Labour takes the sea of tranquility. I can see it now.
    And it's a turrrible night for the Clangers... :)
  • Options

I FEEL what Jeremy is trying to say (as we've discussed here) is that he favours massive Government spending (as all Labour Governments do) but he wants this massive Government spending to go on stuff like autobahns, 3D printers and fibre optic broadband, and other useful things with supposedly lasting benefits rather than down the NHS' insatiable gullet or providing schools with shitty electronic whiteboards.

Whatever Labour does, it will never, ever be at the expense of the NHS. It will always be as well as.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

If my mother gets to talk to my toaster instead of me, that might sway my vote.....
  • Options

Really? What I take from the first one is that we are going to "invest" in business and manufacturing again but unlike all those other occasions where it was a bit of a disaster this time we are going to get it right. Because we are smart. Or something.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Corbyn should be pushing for simulated virtual worlds. He can win there.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    I am reminded of Brown in one of the 2010 town halls when in between berating an obviouly Labour leaning anesthesiologist about how she was "quite wrong" he started to rant about "digital manufacturing". I remember hoping that someone would ask him "what is digital manufacturing"?
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    Dixie said:

Last thread: Trump wants Farage because he thinks rest of world does what America does and appoint political ambassadors. Trump will choose a mate for London, and this will be normal. We don't. Nor do any other western countries.

Not entirely true. Examples of political appointees as UK ambassadors to the USA in the last 100 years include:
    1918–1919: The Earl of Reading
    1919–1920: Viscount Grey of Fallodon
    1940–1946: Viscount Halifax
    1977–1979: Peter Jay (son-in-law of the PM at the time)
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    So, a 19th century agenda; 21st century problems.
  • Options
    White heat of the technological revolution - worked for Wilson.
    Callaghan encouraged InMos https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inmos
    So maybe that's Corbyn's inspiration.
  • Options

timmo said:

The Internet of things?

That's about the sum of it.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited November 2016
    viewcode said:

So the style of cyber warfare in the next severe winter will be everyone's heating systems being turned off, leaving the population to freeze?

Anything you can do like that, someone else can hack & destroy.

(edited to add: good evening, everyone)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    I've had a think about this and I've come to the conclusion that it's possible Donald Trump might (MIGHT) not be entirely rational?
  • Options
    Intervention - this is why Corbyn supported Brexit.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,220

DavidL said:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/15/steve_bong_corbyn_coup_inside_story/
  • Options
    Caption should read: "I'll cut the NHS. Not the deficit."
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Slightly on topic

I'm a bit annoyed by the British Gas advert saying you can add the equivalent of Hive for £9/month. Who can save £9/month by using a remote heating control?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Re second Corbyn statement, sounds like he's just heard someone talk about IoT for the first time.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

timmo said:

The Internet of things?

Hacking the Internet of Things is the latest cool sport for nerds
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,220

It's an appeal to the kind of people who describe themselves as "cyberpunks" - who think that being on the latest alternative to Facebook is being cutting edge "with computers"

One can only hope they live long enough into the future to meet Rose Kolodny....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,842
    Fantastic job Jeremy, keep up the good work. By the way, these would look fantastic on billboards in the midlands marginals. ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    edited November 2016
    That's a lot of words. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.
  • Options
    Once again, in English.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Watching PMQs you should know, Corbyn doesn’t do pithy.
  • Options

Intervention - this is why Corbyn supported Brexit.

To sound like a tool on e-posters?

Well, it's a view.
  • Options
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

I am reminded of Brown in one of the 2010 town halls when in between berating an obviouly Labour leaning anesthesiologist about how she was "quite wrong" he started to rant about "digital manufacturing". I remember hoping that someone would ask him "what is digital manufacturing"?

Obvious. Making things with digits.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Just as Jez rambles about technology, the GSMA have chosen Shanghai as their next destination for MWC:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161122005072/en/GSMA-Launches-Mobile-World-Congress-Shanghai-2017

Barcelona will still go ahead, but I get the feeling its days are numbered, it's at the wrong time of year for Samsung, HTC, Sony and all of the Chinese brands, smartphone sales are still booming in Asia while they have plateaued in Europe and we don't really have a Europe based smartphone manufacturer now that Sony Ericsson and Nokia no longer exist (they used to hold 60% market share between them at one point).
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Is IOS advising Corbyn?
  • Options
    I've just realised that 'cyber physical systems' might mean teledildonics.

If you don't want to sleep, imagine Corbyn, Abbott and teledildonics. ;)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

pbr2013 said:

I thought making digits. But I couldn't work out if he meant ones and zeros or fingers and toes. I remain unenlightened.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    timmo said:

The Internet of things?

It connects everything from urban transport to medical devices to household devices. So, to use a completely ridiculous example, were someone to have two kitchens they'll be able to control both fridges from the same mobile phone.
  • Options

I hesitate to ask.
  • Options
    Are we sure this isn't a Turing test gone wrong ?
  • Options
    If Corbyn went one step further and set some sort of an actual goal, rather than just rhetoric I'd have some sympathy with his position. Big wars and the like, or perhaps more obviously the US space programme sort of suggest that some sort of massive commitment of a state to some goal or other might have some benefits.

HS2 doesn't cut it, but a permanent GB community on Mars would :)

• Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I made some green leds with vibration sensors and photo diode things for my garden - I put in quite a lot of them a few years ago. They had a simple ripple effect that, in the dusk, made it look as though you were walking on water. I did think to hang some in the air, I am surrounded by trees, with a flight of swallows effects but I thought it would make me look too eccentric.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

timmo said:

The Internet of things?

It connects everything from urban transport to medical devices to household devices. So, to use a completely ridiculous example, were someone to have two kitchens they'll be able to control both fridges from the same mobile phone.
    A Mr Miliband from North London asks "will it work with three kitchens?"
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

timmo said:

The Internet of things?

Will it work on my £6.99 Tesco Value toaster? Or my Economy 7 storage heaters?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I was told these home controls don't work for all companies, so if you get an EDF smart meter , it ONLY works for EDF.. Therefore you are stuck or in a lot of aggro if you want to switch. I know SFA about HIVE, but I would similarly avoid till its got a proven track record. Its the same principle as never buy a "new" car model from a manufacturer. WAIT 2 yrs till all the bugs have been ironed out....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Just as Jez rambles about technology, the GSMA have chosen Shanghai as their next destination for MWC:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161122005072/en/GSMA-Launches-Mobile-World-Congress-Shanghai-2017

Barcelona will still go ahead, but I get the feeling its days are numbered, it's at the wrong time of year for Samsung, HTC, Sony and all of the Chinese brands, smartphone sales are still booming in Asia while they have plateaued in Europe and we don't really have a Europe based smartphone manufacturer now that Sony Ericsson and Nokia no longer exist (they used to hold 60% market share between them at one point).

They are doing one in San Francisco too, in September.

We tried to get a deal done with the Spanish government and the Barcelona MWC people. They were not exactly entrepreneurial or far-sighted - we had so many painful meetings before just giving up. I am not surprised GSMA are sniffing around elsewhere, though I think they are contracted to Barcelona for a few more years.

All the European companies are now licensors to the manufacturers. You should watch out for this Ericsson spin-out:

http://avanci.com/

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Is the new message designed to be understood by anyone without subscriptions to the new statesman?

That may be part of the problem. I spent years struggling to understand the vocabulary used by left-wing people. Perhaps, in a similar way, Mr Corbyn's advisers know what they mean and don't realise that non-left-wing people can't understand them. (Assuming that people who do speak left-wing lingo can understand it, that is.)
  • Options

Word of the day.
  • Options
    Is there a spoof site available to customise your own version of this poster yet?
  • Options

Is there a spoof site available to customise your own version of this poster yet?

I think someone did one on one of today's earlier threads.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

If Corbyn went one step further and set some sort of an actual goal, rather than just rhetoric I'd have some sympathy with his position. Big wars and the like, or perhaps more obviously the US space programme sort of suggest that some sort of massive commitment of a state to some goal or other might have some benefits.

There's no need to go that far. It might be best to try a policy that's been used, but for some reason dropped, in the past. One where the negatives have been thoroughly addressed so that they can be spun against. A policy that will be popular amongst young and old, the pleb and the gentrified.

Yes, it's time to bring back Free Owls For all!
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

DavidL said:

pbr2013 said:

I thought making digits. But I couldn't work out if he meant ones and zeros or fingers and toes. I remain unenlightened.
    I always thought digits were what we called fingers in the analogue age. Maybe I am missing something.
  • Options

Omnium said:

There's no need to go that far. It might be best to try a policy that's been used, but for some reason dropped, in the past. One where the negatives have been thoroughly addressed so that they can be spun against. A policy that will be popular amongst young and old, the pleb and the gentrified.

Yes, it's time to bring back Free Owls For all!
    Ok, lets compromise. Free Robot Owls For all!
  • Options

Word of the day.
    So the Internet of Things means that you can pre-shag the missus while still on the train? Bona!
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited November 2016
    White heat of technology, Labour isn't working, things can only get better ( to music ), take back control, make America great again: snappy, simple, rhythmic, these we can remember. This drivel makes the Ed Stone look like Saatchi and Saatchi at their laser focussed best.

To be fair though if you are going to be rightly laughed at for trying to garner votes for "the Internet of things", best test it out on a wet Wednesday in November miles away from an election and learn from it. I hope Jezza's team don't of course and the track record is about on par with Crewe Alexandra's in the Champions' League, but it will all matter nought if a zinger comes out in early April 2020, from the same bunch bombarded by hoots of derision now.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Vote for me I'll replace your jobs with robots....a real vote winner I'm sure....

On a serious note If Corbyn wants to win he has to do with much better language than that, and will need a better vision aswell not everybody out of work can be retrained as computer programmers. The question is what are the jobs non academic men (mostly, as women will find plenty of jobs caring for the elderly) going to do as more and more good paying jobs either require degrees or become redundant?

If he is able to persuade enough voters he has the answer to terrible employment rights/practices, proposes to controll immigration in any meaningful way AND is able to articulate an answer and vision for the above, I seriously think he can win.....Don't laugh..I really mean it...

But he seems to think ANY talk of controllng migration is just too abhorent so he won't.
  • Options

They are all over Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/thedaillew/status/800781875107266560

• Options
    DavidL said:

pbr2013 said:

DavidL said:

pbr2013 said:

I always thought digits were what we called fingers in the analogue age. Maybe I am missing something.
    Numbers as well lawyer boy.
  • Options
    @TSE - yebbut I don't know how to do that!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Watching PMQs you should know, Corbyn doesn’t do pithy.
    Perhaps these statements were similarly sent in from Gladys in Caerphilly and Martin from Tyne and Wear.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    DavidL said:

It's very simple David, and the meaning is nothing short of earth-shattering.

It means that - however improbable this may seem - Milne and Corbyn are actually as stupid as they look.
  • Options

They are all over Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/thedaillew/status/800781875107266560

That one actually makes sense.
  • Options

I was really enjoying my dinner until I read that.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Speaking of how wonderful completed are, vote counts in Wisconsin

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/801084482153512960
  • Options
    nunu said:

Vote for me I'll replace your jobs with robots....a real vote winner I'm sure....
    Well, it took Trump three vital states a couple of weeks back.

Corbyn is so dense he may not have realised that it was Hilary's slogan...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    LOOOOL at Labour
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Cyber physical systems ought to be chiselled onto a 10 foot tall piece of limestone.
  • Options
    nunu said:

On a serious note If Corbyn wants to win he has to do with much better language than that, and will need a better vision aswell not everybody out of work can be retrained as computer programmers. The question is what are the jobs non academic men (mostly, as women will find plenty of jobs caring for the elderly) going to do as more and more good paying jobs either require degrees or become redundant?

If he is able to persuade enough voters he has the answer to terrible employment rights/practices, proposes to controll immigration in any meaningful way AND is able to articulate an answer and vision for the above, I seriously think he can win.....Don't laugh..I really mean it...

But he seems to think ANY talk of controllng migration is just too abhorent so he won't.
    I daresay the answer to unemployment lies in a citizen's income, so that no-one actually needs to work in order to live at a basic level.

Many people seem to live fulfilled lives by spending most of their time gaming or similar, so whatever career paths remain open or open up in future will only be pursued by those who really want to follow them.

And if the money the country needs to live on can be earned by robots, why not let them do it?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sandpit said:

Fantastic job Jeremy, keep up the good work. By the way, these would look fantastic on billboards in the midlands marginals. ;)

Snigger

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    In all fairness, it's trite pablum, yes, but it is the sort of thing politicians say all the time, albeit not usually tweeted out with a picture of their leader looking all meaningful.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    pbr2013 said:

Word of the day.
    So the Internet of Things means that you can pre-shag the missus while still on the train? Bona!
    It also means that her dildo is transmitting usage patterns back to its manufacturer for them to build up a marketing database - including ambient temperature and intensity settings.

This already happens. Nice.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Floater said:

Sandpit said:

Snigger

Whatever happened to the 'white heat of technology' and 'no room for restrictive practices'?
    Both (c) Harold Wilson 1963 I think.
This discussion has been closed.