Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Trump does win it will make a mockery of the “rule” that th

Comments

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited November 2016

Scott_P said:

Just realised, if we followed Ann Coulter's logic, Don Junior, and the rest of the Trump kids wouldn't have a vote in this election.

Neither would Trump apparently
    Amusing
    It's the people with *more* than four grandparents born in the US I'm interest in...

I think a considerable number of Presidents fail her test.
    Which ones?

I reckon the first 20 odd must be ineligible by the times they lived in.
    Woodrow Wilson and Reagan are both out, for example.
    So is JFK, I think. His mother's parents were Irish émigrés I think.
    Hillary's grandfather was born in County Durham. His dad worked down the pit.
    Oh NO! Not another "Howay The Lads" moment. (A la Jimmy Carter)

Was he born in Washington (Tyne & Wear), Toronto (Co Durham), Quebec (Co Durham), New York (Tyne & Wear) or No Place (Co durham)?
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

this will be well received, I am sure...
    https://twitter.com/frasernelson/status/795995434972049408

Will go down a storm with our Leaver friends on here.
    The legality of it doesn't fuss me much one way or another, it's the inequality of it. Of course Parliament will at some point have to repeal the 1972 Act. Notifying the EU that we intend to do so, however, is not the same as doing it. Heath signed a commitment to join the EU in January 1972. Parliament didn't agree until October of that year. Why was he allowed to do that, given that joining required Parliament to pass the Act?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Searching twitter for turnout is a great way to get terribly confused about the election.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

this will be well received, I am sure...
    https://twitter.com/frasernelson/status/795995434972049408

Will go down a storm with our Leaver friends on here.
    The legality of it doesn't fuss me much one way or another, it's the inequality of it. Of course Parliament will at some point have to repeal the 1972 Act. Notifying the EU that we intend to do so, however, is not the same as doing it. Heath signed a commitment to join the EU in January 1972. Parliament didn't agree until October of that year. Why was he allowed to do that, given that joining required Parliament to pass the Act?
    Because Heath's commitment was reversible by Parliament, Article 50 isn't. That's my understanding.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    edited November 2016

Meanwhile, in transparent news:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-37909299

The High Court has opened a can of worms with its ruling.

It's David Cameron who bought the can of worms from Lidl.

And Theresa May who put it in the Lord Chief Justice's lunch box.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

Votecastr looks to be a bust.

It's supposed to be running the live war room, there's nothing there.

i thought it only went live at 11am eastern
    It'll be on time the same way the Olympics was on budget.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Turnout anecdote #2:

Benedick ‏@BenedickUSA 1h1 hour ago
    Suburban Pittsburgh, PA: Elderly veteran Poll volunteer said early turnout like nothing he's ever seen.

Turnout anecdotes are normally bollocks but I'm happy with my buy on it.
    What % turnout are you hoping for?
    58-62 band
  • Options
    Nailed on Trumper polling anecdote:

Joe ‏@JoeThebabe2015 3m3 minutes ago
    The polling place was a buzz by the massive turn out in our small town. One person said he hasn't voted since Reagan
  • Options
    In the way voodoo polls are banned on PB, voter turn out anecdotes should also be verboten.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

In the way voodoo polls are banned on PB, voter turn out anecdotes should also be verboten.

I kind of sympathise with that view – but what else would we post on election day itself?
  • Options
    Mr. Bob, also, sometimes anecdotes can be better than polling (referendum, the General Election).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    Jobabob said:

I kind of sympathise with that view – but what else would we post on election day itself?
    Objection! Anecdotes are the bread and butter of PB. We would starve without them.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Discussion of electoral systems, AV vs PR^2.....throws hand grenade and runs for the door...
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    619 said:
    That is revolting. Coffee shop Earl Grey is usually crap as well.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    619 said:

Second, like the GOP if they keep nominating crazy racists like Trump

What if they nominate only sane racists?
  • Options

Did you hear about the psephologist from Warsaw wot moved to Haiti?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Discussion of electoral systems, AV vs PR^2.....throws hand grenade and runs for the door...
    Agree. Time for an AV thread.
  • Options

It was a turnout anecdote during the Brexit vote - a friend reporting a massive turnout while working as a polling clerk in Cumbria - that convinced me Remain were doomed.
  • Options
    If you want to discuss something else, at work yesterday we were discussing the controversial views we hold that would get us into trouble/shunned by society.

My confession is what one the prize, can anyone top this

I prefer Genesis with Phil Collins than Genesis with Peter Gabriel.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Colorado shows Clinton +2 - that doesn't look too good nationally.

Opinion polls had Clinton +4 on 538
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Pulpstar said:

Turnout anecdote #2:

Suburban Pittsburgh, PA: Elderly veteran Poll volunteer said early turnout like nothing he's ever seen.

When you see highly immobile elderly people who look like they could die at any moment dragging themselves to the polling station you know turnout will be high.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    JSpring said:

MaxPB said:

Has there ever been an election where both candidates were so universally disliked?

Not universally disliked - both are liked by their core supporters. Actually quite a few of those who dislike both might not be swing voters and moderates but Sanderistas or Ted Cruz 'true conservative' types.

This morning there was an article on the comment section of the Telegraph website from some Yank bloke explaining why he would be voting for Trump. He didn't sound deranged, thick or anything else but he did present a coherent case for his position. I just went to look for it to post a link and see that it has been taken down.

I am not going to try and paraphrase an article read once, but suffice it to say the arguments he put forward were not about personalities but about problems in US society and, from my very limited knowledge of Americans, I would guess they would resonate with a very large number, if not a majority of them.

The Septics have really got themselves into a mess when the presidential election is between two awful people and is likely to be decided on identity politics rather than who the voters may think has the better idea of tackling the USA's very real problems.

This identity politics has been slowly taking hold over here too (though not to such a degree, yet) and I firmly believe it should be stamped out before it becomes too corrosive to the body politic.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    In case it has not yet been reported here, Dixville Notch went Clinton by 4 votes to 2.
  • Options
    God I turned this votecatr / Vice thing on and it is clusterf##k so far and the woman hosting appears to be a numpty.
  • Options
    Votecastr says CO is 46/44 Clinton/Trump
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    weejonnie said:

Based on the Crosby spreadsheet, that would likely mean a v. narrow Clinton victory,
  • Options

Mr. Bob, also, sometimes anecdotes can be better than polling (referendum, the General Election).

How do you judge that an anecdote is "better".

If I tell you an anecdote (a true one) about a Floridian girl who works in my office who was yesterday telling anyone who'd listen that she is registered, confirmed Republican who is voting for Hillary as a Dem one-off because she loathes Trumpton, then Hillary goes on to win FL, does that make my anecdote "better" than another true anecdote to the reverse effect?

• Options

I'm thinking as below, that Votecastr is a piece of crap
  • Options
    619 said:

In other words- it is giving data you don't like.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    IanB2 said:

Jobabob said:

Objection! Anecdotes are the bread and butter of PB. We would starve without them.
    I agree. The numerous reports showing vast numbers voting in different places and time zones are all grist to PBers election day, that they can ponder and chew over.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Turnout anecdote #2:

Turnout anecdotes are normally bollocks but I'm happy with my buy on it.
    What % turnout are you hoping for?
    58-62 for me (Betfair band) zeroed other side of it, bust on the top band and lower than 54.
    Yep, I've done similarly.
  • Options
    Do we think the high turnout is people who rarely vote coming out for Trump?
  • Options

God I turned this votecatr / Vice thing on and it is clusterf##k so far and the woman hosting appears to be a numpty.

She seems to have not the foggiest idea what she's talking about.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

Based on the Crosby spreadsheet, that would likely mean a v. narrow Clinton victory,
    No. Trump 306 ECVs.

271 WITHOUT Florida or Nevada !!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Jeez.....Odds have swung out by 5 clicks for Dem whilst I away on Betfair. That was easy....just pocketed a hundred and twenty notes for doing nothing......I wish I'd ordered a nicer bottle of wine at lunch now
  • Options

Every GE my facebook feed is full of "polling stations feel busier than normal". I think its people comparing to local and euro elections.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,341

The polls have got it right. It is the voters that are wrong.

Yep. The election result will be a sampling error.
  • Options
    Mr. Bob, if a pattern emerges that indicates a certain result, anecdotes can be useful.

Polling has not been spot on at the last two major tests in the UK.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

The number of times she uses the word granular, it appears she only just learned that such a word exists.
  • Options

Every GE my facebook feed is full of "polling stations feel busier than normal". I think its people comparing to local and euro elections.
    Well, also us 'umans are crap at assessing such things and weighting against factors such as type of election, time they attended the polling station each time etc etc etc
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Jobabob said:

The number of times she uses the word granular, it appears she only just learned that such a word exists.
    You can go a long way with a British accent in the US...
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

And why is a Brit doing the interviewing? Doh.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

And why is a Brit doing the interviewing? Doh.
    Bloody foreigners stealing good old American jobs....is what Trump will be thinking....
  • Options
    MTimT said:

In case it has not yet been reported here, Dixville Notch went Clinton by 4 votes to 2.

Trump won the midnight voting overall though !
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

No - she's playing the simpleton to educate the viewers.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    My new forecast:
    Trump wins by 1.12%
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MTimT said:

You missed out the Mitt Romney surge.
  • Options

Well, also us 'umans are crap at assessing such things and weighting against factors such as type of election, time they attended the polling station each time etc etc etc
    yes, you might well think that.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

No. Trump 306 ECVs.

What if +2 is rounded from +1.51 or +2.49?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414

Are we sure long lines is indicative of high turnout or just reduced polling locations? If the former I suspect that is part of it but possibly offset by rare voters rowing behind Hillary to stop him. With Clinton's superior GOTV she might even tease out an edge with this demographic
  • Options
    I don't get how their CO analysis is working.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    I like a lot of Vice content, but so far this election war room thing is bloody unwatchable....and why go "live" if you only have 5 minutes of content before having to go to 30 mins of webcam footage of the street outside?
  • Options

Nothing wrong with numpty's....we cannot all be marvellous don't you know....

• Options
    weejonnie said:

619 said:

What's the time in the USA now: 10.00? Another 10 hours to go, when Dems rarely vote in the morning.

Also, I think it's LA times esque in its methodology and I'm generally wary of exit polls like that.
  • Options
    Can't electionr.us just link to their data ?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

My new forecast:
    Trump wins by 1.12%

Given your 120 UKIP MP prediction, can we assume this means Hillary wins by 0.07%?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

You can go a long way with a British accent in the US...
    We were always the goto at playing villains......

• Options
    Dromedary said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

No. Trump 306 ECVs.

I think they said 46.0 - which is much more accurate. Johnson was quoted at 7.6% (after 76%) IIRC.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I don't get how their CO analysis is working.

619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

What's the time in the USA now: 10.00? Another 10 hours to go, when Dems rarely vote in the morning.

Also, I think it's LA times esque in its methodology and I'm generally wary of exit polls like that.
    Yes, Dems generally vote later on.

If you trust electionr then you should probably lump on Hillary (In CO) :) !
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

It could be, an article on 538 mentioned that Trump was specifically telling his supporters to wait until election day to vote. This might be related.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

Trump won the midnight voting overall though !
    Sanders did well too. There may be quite a few write-ins for Sanders today. Allegedly Roger Stone gets a big smile on his face whenever that's mentioned.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Sandpit said:

Good day to bury bad news.

Operation Midland riddled with police errors, report finds

Inquiry finds Met officers misled judge to obtain search warrants during investigation into VIP paedophile ring claims

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/08/operation-midland-riddled-with-met-police-errors-report-finds?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Is willfully misleading a judge not perjury?
    From a very old memory, perjury is committed when a person, on oath, makes a statement material to a judicial enquiry, that they know to be false or do not believe to be true.

Is the swearing out of a search warrant a judicial enquiry? I would say not, so it probably wasn't perjury. However, there are various other criminal offences it could fall under and it would certainly be a disciplinary offence under Police Regulations and one worthy of dismissal from the force.

Anyone want to bet on how many officers will be sacked or prosecuted over their conduct in this ghastly scandal? I would bet on none.
  • Options
    When will the first state-wide results be declared (UK time)?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

She would lose if its that close in Colorado, Michigan would be gone, she needs to overpreform in the west.
  • Options

If you want to discuss something else, at work yesterday we were discussing the controversial views we hold that would get us into trouble/shunned by society.

My confession is what one the prize, can anyone top this

I prefer Genesis with Phil Collins than Genesis with Peter Gabriel.

My Dad always maintained that the Dave Clark Five were better than the Beatles.
  • Options
    619 said:

weejonnie said:

619 said:

Lots of comments about exit polls being very accurate - whether this applies to Votecastr is not yet proven. I understand Colorado oting based on 60% of expected turnout.
  • Options
    The betting markets aren't moving even one tiny little bit and there's virtually nothing of anecdotal interest coming our way from the States - it has all become a little 'ow you say ..... boring.
    I think I'll give it a miss for a few hours.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    Dromedary said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

No. Trump 306 ECVs.

Slate says that Hilz is ahead +2.7 in Colorado, with 54.4pc of expected vote counted.

What does that mean when put thru the Crosby or ARSE machines?

• Options
    MaxPB said:

It could be, an article on 538 mentioned that Trump was specifically telling his supporters to wait until election day to vote. This might be related.
    I think he told them to voter on Nov 28th
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2016

The polling evidence suggests to me that in states with early voting Election Day voters should be more Trumpy. I think from a demographic standpoint that makes complete sense. If there is a good turnout, particularly rural and suburban, then that is good for Trump because he needs these voters to overcome Clinton's leads in early voting.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Indiana and Kentucky will probably be called for Trump at midnight our time.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

2011 referendum:

No 2 AV 68%
    Yes to AV 32%

:innocent:
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Thanks!
  • Options
    619 said:

MaxPB said:

I think he told them to voter on Nov 28th
    Sometimes being pathetic isn't funny. Even here.
  • Options
    Where the heck is the real time data ?
  • Options

Results - probably not for many hours in the early morning. The newscasters will start calling states at 12.00 (possibly 11.00 if Kentucky/ Indiana are massive Trump wins but some polling stations close at 12.00 in those states) http://www.270towin.com/closing.php
  • Options
    That Votecastr you tubelink is really quite useful and informative....I've got an AD telling me why Cardio makes you fat. I am going to stop my three mile uphill everyday run and eat doughnuts and see if that gives me that scuplted six pack...
  • Options

Dromedary said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

No. Trump 306 ECVs.

Slate says that Hilz is ahead +2.7 in Colorado, with 54.4pc of expected vote counted.

Obama was +5% in CO in 2012m vs +3% National. If the gap has shrunk by 2.3%, that would suggest a very narrow national Clinton lead.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS....are you working on a spreadsheet today? Just asking.....
  • Options
    If Trump wins is anyone going to trust opinion polling ever again ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Equally if Hillary wins states like Georgia and pushes on Texas? It works both ways

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not until they prove themselves in a tight election. The UK election which is just around the corner isn't going to help because it will be a blowout.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

2011 referendum:

No 2 AV 68%
    Yes to AV 32%

Why is a technologically advanced country like the US still using an electoral college voting system designed for the circumstances of over 200 years ago.
    They should count the Presidential votes for the country as a whole, using AV of course.
    No more swing states, except for Congress.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well I'll only trust the LA Times poll
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'll just ask that one guy in Illinois
  • Options

Dromedary said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

No. Trump 306 ECVs.

I think that is before on-the-day voting started. If so Trump has clawed back 0.7%
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I'd lose about £500 on that map right now. I err think..
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'd lose about £500 on that map right now. I err think..
    +2.8k with that map!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Current LA Times is Trump 3.6 I think - that probably overestimates it as swingback following decision not to pursue Clinton after all isn't complete.
  • Options
    Worth noting CO went 60/40 for Sanders over Clinton. Will she underperform in states that preferred Bernie?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Of course Trump will win - it's 2016!

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

2011 referendum:

No 2 AV 68%
    Yes to AV 32%

Why is a technologically advanced country like the US still using an electoral college voting system designed for the circumstances of over 200 years ago.
    They should count the Presidential votes for the country as a whole, using AV of course.
    No more swing states, except for Congress.
    Because it's a federation not a single country
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    weejonnie said:

Dromedary said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

No. Trump 306 ECVs.

I think that is before on-the-day voting started. If so Trump has clawed back 0.7%
    Nate Silver has/had Colorado at +4.1 Clinton.
    Hmmm.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Of course - we trusted them after GE2010, GE2015 and Brexit 2016. We may not like them but they are the only game in town - ask Gallup.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Results - probably not for many hours in the early morning. The newscasters will start calling states at 12.00 (possibly 11.00 if Kentucky/ Indiana are massive Trump wins but some polling stations close at 12.00 in those states) http://www.270towin.com/closing.php
    Thanks!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited November 2016
    weejonnie said:

Jobabob said:

No - she's playing the simpleton to educate the viewers.
    Perhaps - but her viewers are all amateur psephologists and gamblers wanting data!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    National Tracker - Final Poll - Survey Monkey/NBC - Sample 70,194 - 31 Oct - 7 Nov

Clinton 51 .. Trump 44

https://www.scribd.com/document/330243723/NBC-News-SurveyMonkey-Toplines-and-Methodology-1031-11-6
This discussion has been closed.