Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Of all the Westminster constituencies affected by Heathrow Ric

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Scott_P said:

But it is also expected to include plans for Scotland to remain part of the EU if a separate Scottish Brexit deal cannot be negotiated, not just as an independent nation but as the UK’s “successor state”.

Either she'll have to be very quick or Brexit will have to be very slow.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Lots of heat about Parliament being sovereign. Were we able to vote by referenda on everything, we wouldn't need Parliament - only administrators. But clearly it's far too cumbersome in so many ways. So we have a small number of representatives to put our wishes into effect.

That can work but it depends on those representatives being honest, and it depends on the representatives having a commitment to doing that. In most cases, we have a choice between one, two or three party drones. Often, drones who consider themselves above the common herd, and having superior intellects and judgement. So it's imperfect. Did you vote on the basis that your Parliamentary candidate must know better then you, so you will trust his judgement on all things? Really?

When we've gone to the massive cost of time, energy and expense of directly asking the people, we don't need another debate by our "betters".

If some of the betters, as they consider themselves, don't like the result, they can hardly call upon democracy or sovereignty as a fig leaf for self-interest or an inflated idea of their own worth.

I'd like to see a more tribal system ... "What do you think of the big chief?" "Not a lot, let's club him to death."

Thud, Thud, Thud.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    nunu said:

4h
    Michael McDonald ‏@ElectProject
    Of the 20,269 people who voted today in Georgia, 48% are Black (11% are unknown, due to a slightly stale voter file) #soulstopolls

Even Obama could not win Georgia despite very high African American turnout in both 2008 and 2012, this year overall it will almost certainly be lower
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,990

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

On the subject of taking back control, have we just signed up to CETA without parliament having a debate on the matter?

Can all the folk who said not signing CETA was a good example of why we had to leave, now tell us why signing CETA is a good example of why we had to leave?

The really good news is that on leaving the EU we now not only lose our membership of the single market, but also a free trade with Canada! And any agreement we reach with the Canadians in the future will have to be made in the context of the much more important agreement they have with the EU.

Whether CETA is good or bad, it surely should be debated in parliament though EDM 165 suggests that has not happened.

Why do the Walloons get to discuss it while our own representatives do not?

https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2016-17/165

Because taking back control means giving a lot more power to a few cabinet ministers, not to Parliament.

Correction: Taking back control means giving a lot more power to our elected cabinet ministers, not to the rest of the continent's Commission.
    CETA was negotiated by the EU Commissioners, we know that it was not debated in Parliament, but which of our ministers were involved in discussing it in cabinet? And how can we know what they said?

Incidentally on EDM 165, I see a lot of SNP MPs were not happy at the lack of open discussion. What are the implications of CETA for Scotland?
    Exactly CETA has been negotiated by Commissioners not our Cabinet. Now what do you propose exactly, that having voted to Leave we sabotage a pre-negotiated deal that we are not going to be a party to once we've left?

I couldn't give a hoot what the implications of CETA are for Scotland. The CETA is the EU's baby and we're leaving the EU. If they want to ratify it then we must not stand in the way.
    Ha Ha Ha , you think you are leaving you half wit, all you are doing is giving up what little influence you had and paying more for it. Idiots like you are just what the three amigos needed, kindred souls.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

We will not be in the Single Market. We will have tariff free access to the Single Market. What remains to be negotiated is the price and extent of that access.

The extent will be smaller than we have today, and the price will be higher.

Thus will we "take back control" and deliver "sovereignty"...
    you still havent understood the majority of people are happy to pay the price.
    Where's your evidence for that? Obsessive loons are indeed prepared to pay the price but lets see if ordinary people already on the breadline are, shall we? And don't forget you hardly had a swingeing majority in the first place.
    The decision has been made by a majority of well over a million people. Now it's a case of making Brexit work best, not refighting old arguments.
    I'm all agog to see how Brexit will be made to work for the demographics that voted for it. Bungs to multinationals will only take us so far.
    The queue at Westminster for handouts will stretch for miles and teh EU negotiators will be laughing their socks off , waiting to pick the bones. Meanwhile the three amigos will be learning how to tie their shoelaces.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Roger said:
    The key is to not click in those links, especially at work.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

On the subject of taking back control, have we just signed up to CETA without parliament having a debate on the matter?

Can all the folk who said not signing CETA was a good example of why we had to leave, now tell us why signing CETA is a good example of why we had to leave?

The really good news is that on leaving the EU we now not only lose our membership of the single market, but also a free trade with Canada! And any agreement we reach with the Canadians in the future will have to be made in the context of the much more important agreement they have with the EU.

Whether CETA is good or bad, it surely should be debated in parliament though EDM 165 suggests that has not happened.

Because taking back control means giving a lot more power to a few cabinet ministers, not to Parliament.

Correction: Taking back control means giving a lot more power to our elected cabinet ministers, not to the rest of the continent's Commission.
    CETA was negotiated by the EU Commissioners, we know that it was not debated in Parliament, but which of our ministers were involved in discussing it in cabinet? And how can we know what they said?

Incidentally on EDM 165, I see a lot of SNP MPs were not happy at the lack of open discussion. What are the implications of CETA for Scotland?
    Exactly CETA has been negotiated by Commissioners not our Cabinet. Now what do you propose exactly, that having voted to Leave we sabotage a pre-negotiated deal that we are not going to be a party to once we've left?

I couldn't give a hoot what the implications of CETA are for Scotland. The CETA is the EU's baby and we're leaving the EU. If they want to ratify it then we must not stand in the way.
    Ha Ha Ha , you think you are leaving you half wit, all you are doing is giving up what little influence you had and paying more for it. Idiots like you are just what the three amigos needed, kindred souls.
    They think their taking there country back Malc

• Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Yawn.

You can keep claiming leaving is remaining, less is more, up is down or wet is dry ... doesn't mean I'm an idiot for not believing your baseless claims.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

No it means that under our constitution it is the elected government of the day that determines whether we sign up to international treaties or not under the Royal Prerogative. Which means that the court case challenging the government's right to serve the Article 50 notice is even more stupid than this bye election.

As I said, taking back control means giving a lot more power to a few cabinet ministers, not to Parliament.

I didn't vote for a single cabinet minister.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    rcs1000 said:

Bah. Would have been first if I hadn't gone out for a run. :(

I think the penultimate paragraph is key; some (not all) of the public opposition is being driven by Zac's very vocal opposition.

I went for a run on Saturday evening and came back with a broken finger.
    Ouch.

You're evidently doing it wrong. You know you run on your feet, not your hands?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

No it means that under our constitution it is the elected government of the day that determines whether we sign up to international treaties or not under the Royal Prerogative. Which means that the court case challenging the government's right to serve the Article 50 notice is even more stupid than this bye election.

As I said, taking back control means giving a lot more power to a few cabinet ministers, not to Parliament.

You probably voted against the government in 2015 though.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Just realised. Scott Adams reminds me of David Icke..

He's fundamentally lost the plot. I know Plato claims he's being ever so clever, but he's really not.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

There's a similar deal for Australia in the works, too.

On the plus side it should make a UK-Canada or UK-Australia deal quicker, since much of it will just be s/European Union/United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland/g

Once we are out of the single market, the deals we do with Canada and anyone else will have to have no effect on the deals that Canada etc have with the EU. That could get quite complicated as free trade with Canada etc in all goods may potentially be a back door into the single market. The Canadians etc will not want to put their far more important EU deals in any kind of jeopardy.

LOL now youre just making it up again.

Nope. I am just saying things you do not like. There is a difference.

No you're conjecturing youre wishful thinking on to Canada to give the result you want

Fact is neither of us have a clue what the Canucks think

UK - 65 million people. One G8 economy.

EU - 400 million people. Three G8 economies.

I have a very good idea which market is more important to the Canadians. I reckon you do too.

• Options
    On topic, it's probably not Zac's campaigning that gives rise to the higher "oppose" figure. It's that the demographics of Richmond are such (high income, low unemployment) that the job creation aspect if expansion doesn't resonate (and it's also physically a bit further away so not a major employer even for tge relatively few less well off people in the area).

This is supported by other results. The Twickenham poll - somewhat less wealthy (but still well off) and closer for commuting - shows slightly lower opposition but not that much lower. The Feltham one - much less well off and the border runs down the perimeter fence of Heathrow so has a lot of workers - is pro Heathrow.
  • Options

F1: a lot of bitching here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37819348

For the record, I was surprised neither Mercedes got any penalty at the start, but there we are.

I was as well. An argument I've seen, and which someone claims Mercedes used, is that the cars were so close that if Hammy and Rosberg had both braked enough to make the corner it would have concertinaed the field and caused collisions further down. That seems slightly ridiculous to me as it requires situational awareness the drivers cannot have, and also sets precedent for the leavers to go off circuit on the first corners of every race.

On another note, Vettel's explosion just confirms what I think of him. :)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Yawn.

You can keep claiming leaving is remaining, less is more, up is down or wet is dry ... doesn't mean I'm an idiot for not believing your baseless claims.
    I would love to know what you base your claims on , so far all I see are surrender monkeys. First test , surrender to Nissan , what next oh wise one.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Yep, just like most people.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Nate Cohn's of the "New York Times" updated analysis of early voting in North Carolina and prediction for the final result - Clinton +6

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/north-carolina-early-vote-tracker.html
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

We will not be in the Single Market. We will have tariff free access to the Single Market. What remains to be negotiated is the price and extent of that access.

It's fair enough for you to say you're happy to pay the price, but you should know that polling evidence shows that only (from memory) 7% of Leave supporters thought that Leaving would make the country worse off.

Far from being happy to pay the price, the great majority of Leave voters thought there would be no price to pay.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

On the plus side it should make a UK-Canada or UK-Australia deal quicker, since much of it will just be s/European Union/United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland/g

Once we are out of the single market, the deals we do with Canada and anyone else will have to have no effect on the deals that Canada etc have with the EU. That could get quite complicated as free trade with Canada etc in all goods may potentially be a back door into the single market. The Canadians etc will not want to put their far more important EU deals in any kind of jeopardy.

No you're conjecturing youre wishful thinking on to Canada to give the result you want

I have a very good idea which market is more important to the Canadians. I reckon you do too.

UK, one agenda $2.4tn GDP
    EU27, 27 agendas $14tn GDP

UK GDP is also growing much faster the EU GDP and with inflation set to rise nominal GDP should rise by between 8-12% over the next couple of years bringing our purchasing power back to where it was before.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    I see Trump has come in slightly - to 4.0
  • Options
    Why doesn’t England just leave the UK?

WHETHER you were for Brexit or against it, there’s little doubt that the process of actually leaving is set to present some serious headaches over the next few years.

The negotiations will be a nightmare - costly, dull, full of political point scoring at either end of the Channel, and destined to end with consequences we’ll have no way of knowing for a generation.

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar will be furious if a ‘hard’ Brexit is pursued, while major companies are already preparing to set sail for Frankfurt.

There is, however, a simple solution which has had surprisingly little airtime.

England should just leave the UK.
    http://www.euroweeklynews.com/3.0.15/news/on-euro-weekly-news/uk-news/141726-why-doesn#.WBb4SOdvQqQ.twitter
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    JackW said:

Nate Cohn's of the "New York Times" updated analysis of early voting in North Carolina and prediction for the final result - Clinton +6

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/north-carolina-early-vote-tracker.html

Obama won North Carolina by double digits in 2012 but Romney won the state. Clinton's average poll lead in North Carolina down to 2.9% with RCP today
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    MaxPB said:

Only one agenda in the UK?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Either way, you had a say on the government, you can bog the argument down in the minutia of voting systems and whatever else but you still had a vote in 2015 and exercised it. In 2020 if Labour offer an alternative which is appealing to enough people your vote may go towards the formation of a new government.

Neither of us voted for the Commission, directly or indirectly. As someone who wants to reform the Lords to be elected, I don't know how you can defend the unelected Commission.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Only one agenda in the UK?
    Yes, on trade the government speaks with one voice.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Are we having a breakfast Brexit binge before the Nov 1 cut-off date?

And procedural question pls: is a Remainer a remoaning traitor regardless, when they choose to engage with some PB Leaver's point about free movement or potential membership of the Customs Union?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

WHETHER you were for Brexit or against it, there’s little doubt that the process of actually leaving is set to present some serious headaches over the next few years.

The negotiations will be a nightmare - costly, dull, full of political point scoring at either end of the Channel, and destined to end with consequences we’ll have no way of knowing for a generation.

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar will be furious if a ‘hard’ Brexit is pursued, while major companies are already preparing to set sail for Frankfurt.

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/3.0.15/news/on-euro-weekly-news/uk-news/141726-why-doesn#.WBb4SOdvQqQ.twitter

Wales also voted Leave and the First Minister of Northern Ireland backed BREXIT
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Jessop, thanks, I hadn't heard that 'explanation'. It's dross.

Not sure Vettel's winning himself many fans. Some might've been amused by his view of Verstappen but attacking the race director isn't a good look.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

No it means that under our constitution 50 notice is even more stupid than this bye election.

Either way, you had a say on the government, you can bog the argument down in the minutia of voting systems and whatever else but you still had a vote in 2015 and exercised it. In 2020 if Labour offer an alternative which is appealing to enough people your vote may go towards the formation of a new government.

Neither of us voted for the Commission, directly or indirectly. As someone who wants to reform the Lords to be elected, I don't know how you can defend the unelected Commission.

I was merely observing most people did not vote for this government. The Commission has nothing to do with it (though Commissioners are nominated by national governments and approved by MEPs).

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

So Clinton is being investigated over very serious matters, but it is the FBI who may have broken the law - according to the BBC.

This is a Clinton Cult, isn't it?

• Options
    Another week and I see PB is infested with bitter remoaners still furious that Nissan hasn't left Britain.

It is amusing though to see the leftist snobs and Continuity Osbornes in their bizarre alliance.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Worth a read as a view about what the Nissan deal suggests might be the government's strategy for Brexit

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2016/10/30/nissan-might-have-got-the-headlines-last-week-but-the-real-story-is-whats-bubbling-on-free-movement/

"or geographic, where parts of Britain are designated free movement areas."

That's a ridiculous suggestion, surely?
    It's an idea but I don't see how it's easily squared with national targets to bring migration down to tens of thousands.

And how would one stop migrants moving from one geographic part of the UK to another once inside? It would just lead to a much larger black economy, or bureaucratic fiddling where the employee is registered in one area but mainly travels and works in another.

My view is that Theresa May will put a headline cut in absolute migration numbers as her number one political goal.
    May will do a compromise of some form which is why I say do not write UKIP off yet, if as expected Paul Nuttall wins the leadership he will be ideally placed to exploit any resentment amongst Leave voters that Brexit was not hard enough and immigration controls not tough enough, especially amongst the white working class
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Another week and I see PB is infested with bitter remoaners still furious that Nissan hasn't left Britain.

It is amusing though to see the leftist snobs and Continuity Osbornes in their bizarre alliance.

I see it is a pleasant morning and no bitter and twisted comments showing on PB this morning!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Which is of course a similar argument to that used against those who say no one voted for the EU as it had evolved by this year vs 1975.
  • Options
    F1: post-race analysis here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/mexico-post-race-analysis-2016.html

Monthly blog visitors have gone from a few hundred a month to over 4,000 in October, which is just weird.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

The really good news is that on leaving the EU we now not only lose our membership of the single market, but also a free tradehave with the EU.

Once we are out of the single marngle market. The Canadians etc will not want to put their far more important EU deals in any kind of jeopardy.

UK GDP is also growing much faster the EU GDP and with inflation set to rise nominal GDP should rise by between 8-12% over the next couple of years bringing our purchasing power back to where it was before.

The Canadians have their EU deal now, so there are no more problems with competing agendas. They'll do one with us too, but only if it does not jeapordise the agreement they have with the much bigger market next door.

• Options

I was merely observing most people did not vote for this government. The Commission has nothing to do with it (though Commissioners are nominated by national governments and approved by MEPs).

You can be as obtuse as you want, but there's no getting around the fact that people voted for this government when no one has voted for the Commission which is made up of political appointments.
  • Options

So Clinton is being investigated over very serious matters, but it is the FBI who may have broken the law - according to the BBC.

Er no. Even one of George W Bush's lawyers from his stint in the White House thinks Comey and the FBI have broken the law and has filed a complaint accordingly.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Obama won North Carolina by double digits in 2012 but Romney won the state. Clinton's average poll lead in North Carolina down to 2.9% with RCP today
    Precisely what aspect of the detailed analysis do you dispute?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2016

Jonathan said:

He's fundamentally lost the plot. I know Plato claims he's being ever so clever, but he's really not.
    He's lost the plot for over 20 years. He believes his success comes from writing down "I will be a world famous successful cartoonist" on a piece of paper 15 times a day everyday rather than talent and hard work.

No, I am not exaggerating.
  • Options

F1: post-race analysis here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/mexico-post-race-analysis-2016.html

Monthly blog visitors have gone from a few hundred a month to over 4,000 in October, which is just weird.

Have the number of comments also increased?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Only on Planet Remain is Nissan's remaining here considered bad news.
  • Options

Er no. Even one of George W Bush's lawyers from his stint in the White House thinks Comey and the FBI have broken the law and has filed a complaint accordingly.

One of the lawyers who support the Bush family, who detest Trump. One of those lawyers?

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,341
    Sandpit said:

Is there someone standing in Richmond from the "Stop talking about it, just get on and build the bloody runway" party?

Just looking at the graph above, they would have 36 or 37% support, which could possibly win a by-election with Zac and the LDs splitting the anti-airport vote.

There's a dissident Tory standing on that platform.

On topic, there's an analogy to inner London being pretty relaxed about multiculturalism. If it really bothers you, you move somewhere else. I know people under the flight path who don't care about aircraft noise and were pleased to get a house at a good price from someone who did. You have to be quite hard-bitten to hate aircraft noise and stay in Richmond Park anyway.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

I think it was someone on here that pointed out just how important the UK was in terms of total trade to Canada (cant remember the exact figures, but we are one of their largest trading partners).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,119
    edited October 2016
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Wales also voted Leave and the First Minister of Northern Ireland backed BREXIT
    The UK PM (then and now), Scottish & Welsh FMs and Leader of the UK opposition backed stay, ergo..?
  • Options
    Mr. Hopkins, they should've prosecuted her.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Which is of course a similar argument to that used against those who say no one voted for the EU as it had evolved by this year vs 1975.

Yes and we get a say on the government every 5 years, our EU membership was not on the table in the same manner every 5 years was it.
  • Options

On what charge(s)?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    @Casino

I think everyone misses how big a problem the black market is in the UK. Essentially, and especially given the construction boom, there is a massive demand for undocumented workers, paid cash in hand.

So long as that demand is there, as it is in the US, then there will be people overstaying their visas, or otherwise working illegally.

If we want to better control immigration, collect more taxes, and have a more honest economy, we need to clamp down on this. If we continue as we are, we will simply have lots of Polish plumbers here on "holiday".
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's great news.

We are however interested to know whether the deal done with them has set a precedent and determined the priorities for our entire EU exit negotiations.
  • Options

One of the lawyers who support the Bush family, who detest Trump. One of those lawyers?

How about one of Ronald Reagan's lawyers then?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

How about committed Trump supporter Joe 'grab a musket if trump loses' Walsh

https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/792894595663290368
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

The really good news is that on leaving the EU we now not only lose our membership of the single market, but also a free tradehave with the EU.

Once we are out of the single marngle market. The Canadians etc will not want to put their far more important EU deals in any kind of jeopardy.

The Canadians have their EU deal now, so there are no more problems with competing agendas. They'll do one with us too, but only if it does not jeapordise the agreement they have with the much bigger market next door.

Sure and tbh the UK Canada deal will just look like CETA with financial and a few other services added. I'm not sure that's really going to be an issue. The real issue is getting first movers advantage across Asia, Latin America and eventually Africa. The EU may try and bully some nations to not do any deals with the UK out of bitterness but it's very unlikely. If anything the EU may decide to use any future UK trade agreements as templates for their own with a few additional agricultural NTBs protections.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

You can be as obtuse as you want, but there's no getting around the fact that people voted for this government when no one has voted for the Commission which is made up of political appointments.

Yep, some people did vote for a Tory government in 2015. I do not dispute that.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

The electorate who chose Jean-Claude Juncker had more democratic legitimacy than the electorate who chose Theresa May.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    edited October 2016
    Alistair said:

Pah, Joe Walsh, another member of the Clinton cult.
  • Options

Yawn. You obviously missed where I've said below that I think the government's guarantees are irrelevant.

Stop whinging you bitter leavers . You won, and you're still behaving like spoilt brats. I honestly think people such as yourself are constantly negative because you don't have anything positive to contribute.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

When you have to misrepresent your opponents' arguments you've lost your own. Can you point out anyone on here who has said it's bad news Nissan are staying?

• Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Yes and we get a say on the government every 5 years, our EU membership was not on the table in the same manner every 5 years was it.
    The democratically elected government made the decisions about our relationship with the EU. There has been much the government has done without referring it to the electorate.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Betfair US market is moving in Trump's direction this morning. Donald in to 4.0, Hillary out to 1.35 (from 4.3 and 1.32 last night)
  • Options

Ha, ha - the most bitter comment on this thread by far!!!!

• Options

Sean_F said:

When you have to misrepresent your opponents' arguments you've lost your own. Can you point out anyone on here who has said it's bad news Nissan are staying?

They can't.

I think they are upset because the inference from the Nissan deal is that we're remaining in the single market and customs union.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

The danger is that we have a serious recession in the next three years, possibly caused by Brexit, possibly caused by the inevitable and painful rebalancing our economy has to go through anyway, and that trust in politicians (who promised £350m extra per week for the NHS) is diminished further.

• Options

Alistair said:

Walsh is being very clever with the way he responded.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    PlatoSaid said:

No surprise, but least confirmation

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/10/30/laptop-in-fbis-weiner-sexting-case-had-state-gov-clinton-related-emails-source-says.html

The source said an analysis of the metadata on Weiner’s computer has turned up “positive hits for state.gov and HRC emails,” which led Comey to revisit the FBI investigation into Clinton using a private email server system while secretary of state. A second law enforcement source confirmed the account.

Hillary Clinton's evidence to the FBI Inquiry on her e-mails was under oath.

It does look as if what Comey has seen on the Weiner lap-top shows with great clarity to him - being familiar with both sides - that Hillary Clinton perjured herself in her evidence.

So he's raised a red flag. America can elect her as President - and then wait to see if she gets a pardon from Obama for her crime. However, the US President cannot pardon in a case of impeachment.

The President’s power to pardon is granted by Article II, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Constitution, which provides: “The President … shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.”

Impeachment allows formal charges to be brought against a civil officer of government for crimes alleged to have been committed.

We'd have a fun week if the House of Representatives were to initiate impeachment against Hillary Clinton before the election! Because then she couldn't be pardoned by Obama....
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2016
    nunu said:
    Except the difference is much larger than the change in registration. Since 2012 Republican registration in Florida has stayed pretty much static as a percentage of the electorate while the Dems have only lost just over 2% with NPA gaining about 1.7%. So it isn't a seismic change as is being made out and doesn't account for the difference. NPA haven't grown as a portion of early vote by any more than the change in registration would suggest.
  • Options

Alistair said:

"Joe Walsh is a loser. I hate his guts. I call him wishy-washy Walsh."
  • Options

Yawn. You obviously missed where I've said below that I think the government's guarantees are irrelevant.

Stop whinging you bitter leavers . You won, and you're still behaving like spoilt brats. I honestly think people such as yourself are constantly negative because you don't have anything positive to contribute.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
    Dear me you are touchy and so early in the day.

As Nick Palmer has pointed out you always go ad hominem so quickly and so needlessly.

Now I'm off to create some wealth have a nice day on PB.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, if we're staying in both of those, you'll get your BINO wish.

I'd be surprised if May didn't face serious ructions. She might be a rather short term PM if she goes for that.

However, it's worth noting there's not a tariff in Europe from Iceland to Turkey, so it may be a statement of the obvious (it's in everyone's interests for no tariffs on goods).

On the plus side, this conversation is distracting everyone from how woeful my tips were :D
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Mr. Jessop, thanks, I hadn't heard that 'explanation'. It's dross.

Not sure Vettel's winning himself many fans. Some might've been amused by his view of Verstappen but attacking the race director isn't a good look.

According to Sky last night, FIA President Jean Todt was watching the race and was, umm, not particularly enamoured with the comments of Mr Vettel towards Charlie Whiting.

I think in any sport, no matter what the scenario, telling the most senior official present to f.off results in a severe punishment - and deservedly so.
  • Options

It does look as if what Comey has seen on the Weiner lap-top shows with great clarity to him - being familiar with both sides - that Hillary Clinton perjured herself in her evidence.

What's your evidence for this? IIUC he's saying that he hasn't even seen the emails and doesn't know what's in them.
  • Options

To those who think Comey broke the law: what was the alternative? Should he have concealed pertinent information, and then been accused of breaking the law the other way? He had to be open about it.

The FBI should have taken action in July, if Clinton has been any normal Jane Doe they would have done.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

PlatoSaid said:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/10/30/laptop-in-fbis-weiner-sexting-case-had-state-gov-clinton-related-emails-source-says.html

The source said an analysis of the metadata on Weiner’s computer has turned up “positive hits for state.gov and HRC emails,” which led Comey to revisit the FBI investigation into Clinton using a private email server system while secretary of state. A second law enforcement source confirmed the account.

So he's raised a red flag. America can elect her as President - and then wait to see if she gets a pardon from Obama for her crime. However, the US President cannot pardon in a case of impeachment.

The President’s power to pardon is granted by Article II, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Constitution, which provides: “The President … shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.”

Impeachment allows formal charges to be brought against a civil officer of government for crimes alleged to have been committed.

We'd have a fun week if the House of Representatives were to initiate impeachment against Hillary Clinton before the election! Because then she couldn't be pardoned by Obama....
    There aren't enough Republicans in the Senate to pass an impeachment vote.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    Still debating Brexit.

Ugh.

I though we all agreed. Nissan staying is great, Q3 figures were reassuring.

But there's no decent trade case to be made for leaving the EU. And the idea that the Canadians would find the UK market more attractive than the EU market relies on a contortion of logic that amounts to self-deceit.

Next.
  • Options

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
    Dear me you are touchy and so early in the day.

As Nick Palmer has pointed out you always go ad hominem so quickly and so needlessly.

Now I'm off to create some wealth have a nice day on PB.
    LOL. I'm not in the least bit touchy; just pointing out something, which I see you did not choose to answer. When did you last post something remotely positive?

As for your good self and ad hominem; your first post was a rather good example. Besides, it would be hard for my post to be ad hominem against your own ad hominem post, which was essentially just "remainers stink!"

I will let my previous reply to Nick stand.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Although it's just taken a 20% drop relative to the rest of the EU!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    CD13 said:

Lots of heat about Parliament being sovereign. Were we able to vote by referenda on everything, we wouldn't need Parliament - only administrators. But clearly it's far too cumbersome in so many ways. So we have a small number of representatives to put our wishes into effect.

That can work but it depends on those representatives being honest, and it depends on the representatives having a commitment to doing that. In most cases, we have a choice between one, two or three party drones. Often, drones who consider themselves above the common herd, and having superior intellects and judgement. So it's imperfect. Did you vote on the basis that your Parliamentary candidate must know better then you, so you will trust his judgement on all things? Really?

When we've gone to the massive cost of time, energy and expense of directly asking the people, we don't need another debate by our "betters".

If some of the betters, as they consider themselves, don't like the result, they can hardly call upon democracy or sovereignty as a fig leaf for self-interest or an inflated idea of their own worth.

I'd like to see a more tribal system ... "What do you think of the big chief?" "Not a lot, let's club him to death."

Thud, Thud, Thud.

As you say it depends on those representatives being honest but it also depends on those representatives having the time and the knowledge to distill the facts before making a decision.

I'm not sure why we should accept a judgement that affects everyones prosperity and wellbeing on a prospectus whose veracity wouldn't on current rules be allowed in the classified ads of the Hartlipool Observer.

There are good reason's why we have rules preventing cigarette companies claiming smoking increases your lifespan.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2016

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

You may not have have but over 30 million Brits voted in the last General Election, which was won by the over 11 million Brits who voted Conservative. The cabinet is made up of those elected in that election by the winning party.

The last European Parliament election was "won" by the EPP who got just over 38 million votes Europe wide, beating into second place the S&D who lost in a distant second place with only just over 40 million votes. As a result the EPP's winning candidate Junker got "elected" to form a Commission, made of people who didn't stand in that election. Zero votes were cast in the whole United Kingdom for the EPP.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2016

nunu said:
    Except the difference is much larger than the change in registration. Since 2012 Republican registration in Florida has stayed pretty much static as a percentage of the electorate while the Dems have only lost just over 2% with NPA gaining about 1.7%. So it isn't a seismic change as is being made out and doesn't account for the difference. NPA haven't grown as a portion of early vote by any more than the change in registration would suggest.
    And more to the point despite the growth in NPA the 18-29 vote so far this year is just something like 7% in the early vote. The NPAs aren't a horde of Dem leaning millenials coming out for Hillary.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    MaxPB said:

Roger said:
    Ah, the old Scunthorpe IT alert problem.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

I think it was someone on here that pointed out just how important the UK was in terms of total trade to Canada (cant remember the exact figures, but we are one of their largest trading partners).
    Although that number includes oil exports from Canada's East coast, so you probably need to step that out. (On the basis that oil is a global market on which no tariffs are levied.)
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

The really good news is that on leaving the EU we now not only lose our membership of the single market, but alsoagreement they have with the EU.

You may not have have but over 30 million Brits voted in the last General Election, which was won by the over 11 million Brits who voted Conservative. The cabinet is made up of those elected in that election by the winning party.

The last European Parliament election was "won" by the EPP who got just over 38 million votes Europe wide, beating into second place the S&D who lost in a distant second place with only just over 40 million votes. As a result the EPP's winning candidate Junker got "elected" to form a Commission, made of people who didn't stand in that election. Zero votes were cast in the whole United Kingdom for the EPP.

No-one voted for the EPP anywhere. It is a grouping of different national parties in the European Parliament which none of the British parties chose to join (the Tories having decided a few years ago to leave during one of Dave's Euro-grandstanding periods).

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Sure and tbh the UK Canada deal will just look like CETA with financial and a few other services added. I'm not sure that's really going to be an issue. The real issue is getting first movers advantage across Asia, Latin America and eventually Africa. The EU may try and bully some nations to not do any deals with the UK out of bitterness but it's very unlikely. If anything the EU may decide to use any future UK trade agreements as templates for their own with a few additional agricultural NTBs protections.

Won't we, in all likelihood, just remain signatories to CETA post-Brexit?
  • Options
    JackW said:

That latest projection is interesting, because it's partly based on early voting and partly on polling evidence. The projected lead has increased by about half a point, to 6.4%, during the course of early voting so far. If I understand correctly, this is still using polling data from about a week ago, so that change is entirely due to the early voting numbers.

Similarly, Nate Silver's latest article is predicated on Clinton winning North Carolina and Nevada but losing Florida, which would mean Trump would need either (1) Ohio, Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin to scrape a victory or (2) Pennsylvania and New Hampshire for a draw:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-what-if-clinton-wins-north-carolina-and-loses-pennsylvania/?ex_cid=2016-forecast
  • Options

No-one voted for the EPP anywhere. It is a grouping of different national parties in the European Parliament which none of the British parties chose to join (the Tories having decided a few years ago to leave during one of Dave's Euro-grandstanding periods).

Not true. The EPP stood in London and got several hundred votes.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Well its academic because the FBI now have the warrant.

Would be interesting if there are 15 years e-mails of the Clinton Foundation on that LapTop.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Actually the EPP got more than zero: There was a thing called the Four Freedoms Party that ran in London on behalf of the EPP and got 28,014 votes. That's not a huge number, but it's 18,959 more than the Conservative Party got in Northern Ireland in 2015.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited October 2016
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

There aren't enough Republicans in the Senate to pass an impeachment vote.
    The House of Representatives has the sole power to impeach. Which would be enough to sink Hillary with independents, I would suggest. So it wouldn't get to stage two, which is hearing the impeachment in the Senate.

• Options

Do you have any legal knowledge or is this the barrack room speaking?
  • Options
    Mr. Matt, based off what many here have said regarding the nature of what happened. But no, like most lawyers, I don't have any legal qualifications.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Jonathan said:

If watching "literally hundreds of hours of stuff on the US elections'" distlls down to those websites then there is something seriously amiss with the distilling process
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Won't we, in all likelihood, just remain signatories to CETA post-Brexit?
    I'm honestly not sure how the existing EU trade deals will carry over, if at all. At least on the basis of leaving the customs union.
  • Options

Mr. Matt, based off what many here have said regarding the nature of what happened. But no, like most lawyers, I don't have any legal qualifications.

Most lawyers don't have legal qualifications? Really?

Checks Law Society and NY bar requirements. Is interested in your evidence.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    MaxPB said:

I would rather have the Commission answerable to elected MEPs, than Mrs May`s government, elected by only 24% of the registered electors.
  • Options
    matt said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:
    Ah, the old Scunthorpe IT alert problem.
    I've had issues with PB when new IT managers takeover.
  • Options
    matt said:

Do you have any legal knowledge or is this the barrack room speaking?
    Tbf that would be 95% of PB comments barred if specific knowledge of a subject was the sole qualification to comment upon it.

In any case the age of the expert has passed, the age of the barrack room is upon us.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Remember Populus had Remain 10 percent ahead the day before the referendum...
This discussion has been closed.