Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on who will win the US Presidential race in 2020

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Does anyone have a link to the actual iceland count ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    PlatoSaid said:

Nigelb said:

Apparently, the FBI did not have a warrant to view the emails when Comey wrote his letter, which is why he has no idea what is in them:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/comey-wrote-bombshell-letter-to-congress-before-fbi-had-reviewed-new-emails-220219586.html

Assuming this is true (& I don't take the Platonic view of uncorroborated sources), the decision to write the letter is pretty extraordinary.

One could reason that it's precisely why he did it. The DOJ are obstructing the FBI and there's what looks like a power struggle going on. So Comey's flushed them out.

There's also this report

Emails Found on Huma & Weiner devices were in file titled 'Life Insurance'

https://t.co/VirycCAqnM
    Maybe Weiner was e-mailing Hilary with photos of his anatomy.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    With 10 days to go - one wonders what the DNC intend to drop next to derail Trump. I'm sure they've a couple of things up their sleeve.

I saw tweets from Frank Luntz implying he knew about a sex scandal. I'm not sure there's much mileage left in that furrow - but who knows.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Nigelb said:

PlatoSaid said:

One could reason that it's precisely why he did it. The DOJ are obstructing the FBI and there's what looks like a power struggle going on. So Comey's flushed them out.

There's also this report

One could reason all sorts of things. It doesn't make Comey right - and more pertinently goes against all accepted procedure.
    "Goes against all accepted procedure"

I am trying to avoid commenting on the utter farce going on in the USA at the moment. I have to say on this you, other supporters and the Democratic Party cannot have it both ways.

Last night on this very site Clinton fans were claiming even if she had used a private email / server then she never gave away " Americas Nuclear secrets" . She probably didn't however she knew full well the process in which she engaged was " against all accepted procedures" and having been around government for many years would have certainly known this ( despite her denial or saying she didn't understand in which case she is just completely incompetent ).

HRC's troubles are of her own making by "going against all accepted procedures" . It's not what's in the emails that an issue here its the fact that these emails even exist most importantly where they do. Any lesser person would be out of a job now and potentially facing a prison sentence. Of course there are some that are always above the laws that us plebs have to adhere to under threat of serious punishment. Like I say you either follow accepted procedure or you don't but if you don't then you do so at your own risk and must accept the consequences of your actions.

In saying that I have to agree the latest Comey letter intervention does seem quite extraordinary given that such a letter has been written without apparently viewing the evidence of email content. It might be when asked for full disclosure previously these string of emails were not mentioned? Or it could be something entirely different such as quite simply CYA.
    Mr Moses, I raely agree with your posts but on this occasion I do. Totally.Surely to god HRC knew what she was doing.
    Maybe she did and maybe she didn't.

But I doubt she cared either way.

To the Clintons rules and regulations are for other people.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I'm not betting on 2020 yet, the best bet here looks to me to be @shadsy backing 10-11 on the field Bar Hillary, and in addition getting the time value of money for 4 years win or lose.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    IMHO going 11/10 for Clinton is hilarious. She won't run if she isn't elected this time (so you may as well back her for POTUS 2016) and there must be a better than even chance she'll be impeached successfully over the e-mail fiasco. Even if not she is bound to face a better opponent than Trump.

TBH I think Pence has come out of this campaign pretty well. He has proved himself a popular supporter of change and he hasn't the baggage that Trump has (I assume)

He'll only be 61 in 2020 as well.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

Moses_ said:

HRC's troubles are of her own making by "going against all accepted procedures" . It's not what's in the emails that an issue here its the fact that these emails even exist most importantly where they do. Any lesser person would be out of a job now and potentially facing a prison sentence. Of course there are some that are always above the laws that us plebs have to adhere to under threat of serious punishment. Like I say you either follow accepted procedure or you don't but if you don't then you do so at your own risk and must accept the consequences of your actions.

Mr Moses, I raely agree with your posts but on this occasion I do. Totally.Surely to god HRC knew what she was doing.
    There is a certain form of arrogance that I've seen in both public and private sectors among hard-driving leaders that rules are there to be broken when necessary, bureaucracy is always an unnecessary nuisance, stuff the formalities, let's get on with the job ("Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" is a much-admired attitude of this kind). Their experience of life is that it doesn't usually lead to bad consequences, unless people want to get rid of them for other reasons. Dismissal and even prosecution are relatively rare, I think, even at lower levels.

I have a Teutonic affection for following agreed procedures so this is all quite alien to me, but it goes with the leader types to a degree that most people may not realise. I don't think it should be treated as a uniquely awful disqualifying trait. Trump's erratic behaviour seems much more objectively worrying.

I doubt if the latest developments will affect the polls much. People either care about shoddy server security or they don't. They understand that Hillary has a slipshod record in that regard, and have factored it in already.
    I think that is probably right. You either think this disregard for security and procedure makes her unfit to be President or you don't and it does look as if a plurality of Americans are not that bothered. But this might change if there are any charges for anyone close to Clinton. May depend what they have already said in the first inquiry.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Moses_ said:

Nigelb said:

PlatoSaid said:

There's also this report

One could reason all sorts of things. It doesn't make Comey right - and more pertinently goes against all accepted procedure.

I am trying to avoid commenting on the utter farce going on in the USA at the moment. I have to say on this you, other supporters and the Democratic Party cannot have it both ways.

Last night on this very site Clinton fans were claiming even if she had used a private email / server then she never gave away " Americas Nuclear secrets" . She probably didn't however she knew full well the process in which she engaged was " against all accepted procedures" and having been around government for many years would have certainly known this ( despite her denial or saying she didn't understand in which case she is just completely incompetent ).

In saying that I have to agree the latest Comey letter intervention does seem quite extraordinary given that such a letter has been written without apparently viewing the evidence of email content. It might be when asked for full disclosure previously these string of emails were not mentioned? Or it could be something entirely different such as quite simply CYA.
    Maybe she did and maybe she didn't.

But I doubt she cared either way.

To the Clintons rules and regulations are for other people.

It seems like a pattern of behaviour across all the dealings of the Clintons. And risible lying to get out of a corner. She made her bed and is now tucked up in it. If she wins, I hate to think what she'll do with power like that.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    edited October 2016
    Betting Post

F1: pre-race piece up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/mexico-pre-race-2016.html

Three tips, one of which is 100/1.

I think that's the longest I've ever tipped in a weekend piece. Very unlikely to happen, but shorter odds than those on offer.

[Still perplexed by enormous traffic numbers].

Edited extra bit: clumsy wording there, by me. I mean the odds in reality are shorter than those expressed by the bookie. I think. We'll see.
  • Options
    First 2 or 3 overs after the break may well be critical here. If England can see that out then this might become relatively easy despite never chasing more than 209 in Asia before.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest Fox News Projection :

Clinton 307 .. Trump 174 .. Toss-Up 57

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2016/presidential-race
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031

Moses_ said:

There is a certain form of arrogance that I've seen in both public and private sectors among hard-driving leaders that rules are there to be broken when necessary, bureaucracy is always an unnecessary nuisance, stuff the formalities, let's get on with the job ("Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" is a much-admired attitude of this kind). Their experience of life is that it doesn't usually lead to bad consequences, unless people want to get rid of them for other reasons. Dismissal and even prosecution are relatively rare, I think, even at lower levels.

I have a Teutonic affection for following agreed procedures so this is all quite alien to me, but it goes with the leader types to a degree that most people may not realise. I don't think it should be treated as a uniquely awful disqualifying trait. Trump's erratic behaviour seems much more objectively worrying.

I doubt if the latest developments will affect the polls much. People either care about shoddy server security or they don't. They understand that Hillary has a slipshod record in that regard, and have factored it in already.
    That's an interesting post about the mentality of some people at the top, thanks.

I wonder if it's related to the periodic "war on red tape" we get from politicians and the media. When it comes down to it, many of the rules and regulations we have to deal with are there for a reason, and the war becomes more a set of small, pointless skirmishes. Some choose to ignore the regulations because, to their eyes, they're pointless.

Having said that, the regulations HRC is supposed to have broken are rather fundamental, both in business and in government, and the reasoning behind them is obvious. I also doubt others would have been treated quite so leniently. But in her (partial) defence, it looks as though several other politicians of all stripes have been doing it, though that's not much of an excuse.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That sounds like a cock and ball story to me ....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

First 2 or 3 overs after the break may well be critical here. If England can see that out then this might become relatively easy despite never chasing more than 209 in Asia before.

So not easy then. That is the England way.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

^_~
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    DavidL said:

I cannot believe that Comey would have written his letter unless he had a steer, possibly from NYPD, that the contents of the e-mails were at least pertinent to the original investigation. He almost certainly did not know their content in detail but he surely knew, at the very least, that they were not simply duplicates of those already disclosed.

According to quoted law enforcement agents they don't know anything yet about the content of the emails and the new investigation is an "abundance of caution" on the part of Comey. They may turn something up but there's no reason at this stage to believe they will.
    DavidL said:

I was very critical of the speed of the FBI investigation much earlier in the year, principally for the reasons were are seeing now. They have got themselves involved at a horribly politically sensitive time. Given the source of these e-mails and the closeness with Clinton it is truly remarkable that this has only come out now. To really turn the race though there is going to have to be a smoking gun in this material.

The FBI went through tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of emails as part of that investigation over a period of a year and decided Clinton didn't have a case to answer, although they were critical of her processes. It was hardly a rushed judgment call.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Statistics like that in cricket are meant to be broken. One of those highest run chases was for the loss of only one wicket so had the target been higher there's little reason to think we could not have reached 300 in the past.

One issue with records regarding run chases is that the game ends not only when you're all out, but it also ends when you reach your target.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Having said that, the regulations HRC is supposed to have broken are rather fundamental, both in business and in government, and the reasoning behind them is obvious. I also doubt others would have been treated quite so leniently. But in her (partial) defence, it looks as though several other politicians of all stripes have been doing it, though that's not much of an excuse.

The entire Bush the younger administration ran on private email servers - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_White_House_email_controversy
  • Options
    An interesting article on the usage of private email for public use:
    http://dailysignal.com/2015/03/08/high-ranking-federal-officials-history-using-personal-email-government-business/

(Note: I haven't come across this 'site before)
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    edited October 2016
    Off topic. Just been watching MOTD where Gary Lineker described the goal Gaston Ramirez scored for Middlesbrough yesterday as his first in two years. Well Gary, I suppose that would be correct if you ignore the 7 he scored for Middlesbrough during their promotion run-in earlier in the year. Must have been too busy watching Leicester to notice?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Only one ball? Was it in profile, or is there something (ahem) incomplete about Weiner?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856

Apologies for snipping your words slightly, Nick, but yes I've seen this too.

It's often the case when private sector people come into the public sector, they bring the private sector mores with them. I've heard it as "JFDI" (I'll leave you to work it out). In my experience, they don't last long. Much of what I've seen from the most strong-willed (let's call it that) is tantamount to bullying and harassment and that's unacceptable in all Councils and most sensible organisations.

It comes down to what I've always believed - businessmen make bad politicians. They are used to minions obeying their every word - they are used to command and control. In politics, you have to argue and persuade and convince and many in the private sector (in my experience) just aren't very good at it.

The private sector person as a senior officer in a Council may be able to intimidate his or her staff or colleagues but will run up against Councillors who think THEY are in charge and don't take being lectured to by an officer, however senior.

I'll be honest - I'd rather be ruled by a competent sinner than an incompetent saint.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Off topic: Jeff Bezos looks to the "High Frontier"

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/jeff-bezos-space-colonies-oneill/

Hopefully the 2020 POTUS race can be between Elon Musk & Jeff Bezos :D
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

I cannot believe that Comey would have written his letter unless he had a steer, possibly from NYPD, that the contents of the e-mails were at least pertinent to the original investigation. He almost certainly did not know their content in detail but he surely knew, at the very least, that they were not simply duplicates of those already disclosed.

According to quoted law enforcement agents they don't know anything yet about the content of the emails and the new investigation is an "abundance of caution" on the part of Comey. They may turn something up but there's no reason at this stage to believe they will.
    DavidL said:

I was very critical of the speed of the FBI investigation much earlier in the year, principally for the reasons were are seeing now. They have got themselves involved at a horribly politically sensitive time. Given the source of these e-mails and the closeness with Clinton it is truly remarkable that this has only come out now. To really turn the race though there is going to have to be a smoking gun in this material.

The FBI went through tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of emails as part of that investigation over a period of a year and decided Clinton didn't have a case to answer, although they were critical of her processes. It was hardly a rushed judgment call.

No it was very much the opposite of a rushed judgment call, that was the problem. The interminable delays brought the investigation right through the Primaries into the campaign where everything becomes so fraught.
  • Options
    Mr. Nashe, several races ago there was a similar (erroneous) comment made by F1 commentators regarding the safety car (which was even wrong the race beforehand). Must admit I sometimes turn commentary off.
  • Options
    England collapse starting. Get out the popcorn.
  • Options
    Dhaka starting to remind some of us why 250+ chases in Asia for a final test innings are never easy
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Moses_ said:

There is a certain form

That's an interesting post about the mentality of some people at the top, thanks.

I wonder if it's related to the periodic "war on red tape" we get from politicians and the media. When it comes down to it, many of the rules and regulations we have to deal with are there for a reason, and the war becomes more a set of small, pointless skirmishes. Some choose to ignore the regulations because, to their eyes, they're pointless.

I run into this at work too.

I often need to take documents as electronic files to meetings, but the only way that I can do this is via an encrypted memory stick or by emailing to my private email. I cannot do the latter with patient identifiable data or with items of similar nature.

When organisations expect people to work from home, and provide 24 hour responses, then it can be very tempting to circumnavigate the rules simply so that the job can be done.

I agree with NickP that this email business is probably already priced in, though clearly not what Hillary wanted to dominate the news agenda.
  • Options

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Only one ball? Was it in profile, or is there something (ahem) incomplete about Weiner?
    You do come out with some boll*cks at times ....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,684
    JackW said:

Probably much of the Dickieleaks story is backed in. Clinton and Trump both have horrible fav/unfav ratings, albeit Donald's are worse. In the final analysis you wouldn't want Clinton in charge of your computer security and neither would you leave your teenage daughter alone in a room with Trump for a nano second.

US voters have the unenviable choice of picking the least worst of two appalling candidates.

JackW said:

Probably much of the Dickieleaks story is backed in. Clinton and Trump both have horrible fav/unfav ratings, albeit Donald's are worse. In the final analysis you wouldn't want Clinton in charge of your computer security and neither would you leave your teenage daughter alone in a room with Trump for a nano second.

US voters have the unenviable choice of picking the least worst of two appalling candidates.

I guess in Britain it would be like IDS vs Corbyn....
  • Options
    Jeez what did the Bangladeshi's have for Tea? Done the trick.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Alistair said:

The entire Bush the younger administration ran on private email servers - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_White_House_email_controversy
    Indeed – and what a shame Hilary learnt absolutely nothing from this past controversy.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    PlatoSaid said:

<

It seems like a pattern of behaviour across all the dealings of the Clintons. And risible lying to get out of a corner. She made her bed and is now tucked up in it. If she wins, I hate to think what she'll do with power like that.

I don't know - was Nixon worse, or JFK or any number of others ? Trump is no saint, let's be fair so should we support him simply because his "flaws" aren't the same as HRC's ?

No, anyone who reads up on their American political history will soon discover it's not the idealistic democracy we imagine. Vote rigging, fraud, malpractice, bribery have all happened there (just as they have here). The American system has its corruption and its venalities but show me the perfect democracy - we've moved on from the Athenian city state.

It's not a question of me refusing to believe what's being revealed about HRC - it's dragged her down no question - but at the end of the day I find the prospect of her in the Oval Office with all her flaws more appealing than the prospect of Donald Trump bringing back trickledown (and how that will improve the lot of his WWC supporters is a mystery to me) and working out his personal vendettas from the West Wing.

In any case, IF Trump wins, the 2018 mid terms will be a meltdown for the GOP and Trump will spend the second half of his term blocked by an hostile Senate and Congress.

• Options

Off topic. Just been watching MOTD where Gary Lineker described the goal Gaston Ramirez scored for Middlesbrough yesterday as his first in two years. Well Gary, I suppose that would be correct if you ignore the 7 he scored for Middlesbrough during their promotion run-in earlier in the year. Must have been too busy watching Leicester to notice?

I thought he said "first premiership goal in 2 years"; but obviously Middlesborough were not in the Premiership last year.

Leicester back on form, Spurs horrible divers again. Deli Ali is an embarrasment.
  • Options

Mr. Nashe, several races ago there was a similar (erroneous) comment made by F1 commentators regarding the safety car (which was even wrong the race beforehand). Must admit I sometimes turn commentary off.

Some are better than others. Jonathan Pearce's style is not to everyone's taste, but he clearly loves football and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the game. He would not have made such a howler.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited October 2016
    OT: Does anyone here work as a computer programmer? I'm considering going back to university to study a computer science conversion MSc but the whole course uses the Java programming language. Is this a good language to learn or is it 'the past'?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Having said that, the regulations HRC is supposed to have broken are rather fundamental, both in business and in government, and the reasoning behind them is obvious. I also doubt others would have been treated quite so leniently.

FWIW the standard punishment for a single basic infringement (i.e. sending a single email from a work email to a personal account for whatever reason) is:

1. Zero bonus that year
    2. Block on any promotion that year

There was a well known case of a CS banker who lost $600,000 + a promotion to MD for this. Severely damaged his career.
  • Options
    Wow that was a very close review. Was convinced it was going to say Umpire's Call.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    Moses_ said:

Nigelb said:

PlatoSaid said:

Nigelb said:

Apparently, the FBI did not have a warrant to view the emails when Comey wrote his letter, which is why he has no idea what is in them:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/comey-wrote-bombshell-letter-to-congress-before-fbi-had-reviewed-new-emails-220219586.html

Assuming this is true (& I don't take the Platonic view of uncorroborated sources), the decision to write the letter is pretty extraordinary.

There's also this report

I don't entirely disagree with that, but there are good reasons why we hold law enforcement and politicians to different standards. I'd comment in detail, but I am on the road today.
    & for the record, I'm not a Clinton fan.
  • Options

I guess in Britain it would be like IDS vs Corbyn....

Brutally unfair to IDS .... and he was a total duffer as Tory leader .... :smile:
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Moses_ said:

It does seem to me from a casual observers point of view that HRC disregarded normal protocols yet seems to be able to carry on regardless. On the other hand the Director of the FBI is being castigated for writing a letter which had HRC followed the "accepted procedures" in the first place would not have been ever been needed nor any of the investigations.

One will most likely become POTUS and the leader of the free world the other will be fired and retire in ignominy.
  • Options

I thought he said "first premiership goal in 2 years"; but obviously Middlesborough were not in the Premiership last year.

Leicester back on form, Spurs horrible divers again. Deli Ali is an embarrasment.
    Just checked on the I-player: 'Gaston Ramirez hasn't scored for almost two years ...' was what he said. Worth noting too, that neither Shearer or Murphy corrected him.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Charles said:

Having said that, the regulations HRC is supposed to have broken are rather fundamental, both in business and in government, and the reasoning behind them is obvious. I also doubt others would have been treated quite so leniently.

FWIW the standard punishment for a single basic infringement (i.e. sending a single email from a work email to a personal account for whatever reason) is:

1. Zero bonus that year

There was a well known case of a CS banker who lost $600,000 + a promotion to MD for this. Severely damaged his career.
    Does it matter what the content of the email is?
    "Remember to get cat food" being rather different to "blue horseshoe loves anacott steel"
  • Options

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

By all accounts, Mr. Wiener had remarkable success with women before marrying Huma Abedin (who is pretty good-looking too) which is strange when you consider what he looks like.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

1. Zero bonus that year

"Remember to get cat food" being rather different to "blue horseshoe loves anacott steel"
    He'd forwarded a marketing presentation to his personal account because the CS remote access wasn't working. (It being 48 hours after a circular email setting out the new policy didn't help).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

1. Zero bonus that year

Great film.
  • Options
    stodge said:

PlatoSaid said:

<

I don't know - was Nixon worse, or JFK or any number of others ? Trump is no saint, let's be fair so should we support him simply because his "flaws" aren't the same as HRC's ?

No, anyone who reads up on their American political history will soon discover it's not the idealistic democracy we imagine. Vote rigging, fraud, malpractice, bribery have all happened there (just as they have here). The American system has its corruption and its venalities but show me the perfect democracy - we've moved on from the Athenian city state.

It's not a question of me refusing to believe what's being revealed about HRC - it's dragged her down no question - but at the end of the day I find the prospect of her in the Oval Office with all her flaws more appealing than the prospect of Donald Trump bringing back trickledown (and how that will improve the lot of his WWC supporters is a mystery to me) and working out his personal vendettas from the West Wing.

In any case, IF Trump wins, the 2018 mid terms will be a meltdown for the GOP and Trump will spend the second half of his term blocked by an hostile Senate and Congress.

Whichever side wins will get caned in 2018. If Clinton wins, the Republicans could well be on more than 60 Senate seats after the mid-terms.
  • Options

OT: Does anyone here work as a computer programmer? I'm considering going back to university to study a computer science conversion MSc but the whole course uses the Java programming language. Is this a good language to learn or is it 'the past'?

There are only three computer programming languages worth knowing:

- Python, 'cause it's awesome
    - C, 'cause it's essential
    - Javascript, 'cause you'll need to do something 'webby' at some point

If you don't want to learn these, then learn something completely esoteric: Erlang or something equivalent. Something where the talent pool is small, and the contracting rates are awesome.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

By all accounts, Mr. Wiener had remarkable success with women before marrying Huma Abedin (who is pretty good-looking too) which is strange when you consider what he looks like.
    Politics is show business for ugly people ;-)

Except all those present on PB of course!
  • Options

Don't sweat the language you are taught with. It's all about the concepts that you can transfer across languages.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Surely it's like fortune tellers.

If you hit on everything that moves, you're bound to have some success.

And people only remember the correct predictions.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Don't sweat the language you are taught with. It's all about the concepts that you can transfer across languages.
    The key concept of Java being that you have to write two pages of boilerplate before you get to the actual program logic?
  • Options
    A timely reminder to PBers to note where the candidates are over the closing 10 ten days. Especially the Trump campaign as he has far few surrogates and will have to throw the dice to pull a route to 270.

Yesterday Trump was in Arizona (not a good sign) but in a related way he's making stops in Michigan this week - Lose Arizona (11 ECV) more than countered by winning the Great Lakes State (16 ECV), although Clinton leads in the latest EPIC/MRA +7 and Emerson +9 polls.

In contrast Clinton has multiple surrogates and is able to spread herself and them much more widely and assist in down ballot races.

• Options
    Surely that is the last we will see of Ballance for a while.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    edited October 2016
    DavidL said:

Surely that is the last we will see of Ballance for a while.

Not been a success this tour, has he! Interestingly he’s probably the last of the “overseas” players.
  • Options
    FFS 4 Out
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

The key concept of Java being that you have to write two pages of boilerplate before you get to the actual program logic?
    Ah - like COBOL you mean! or LITHP (in joke).
  • Options

FFS 4 Out

Don't worry - it just needs a 150 partnership from Woakes and Rashid.
  • Options
    Four down now.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Only 2? You must be using some fancy modern framework.

That said Java 8 looks to have dragged the language into the early 21at century as it has something approaching first class functions. The trend towards fluent frameworks also makes it more bearable.
  • Options
    JackW said:

A timely reminder to PBers to note where the candidates are over the closing 10 ten days. Especially the Trump campaign as he has far few surrogates and will have to throw the dice to pull a route to 270.

Yesterday Trump was in Arizona (not a good sign) but in a related way he's making stops in Michigan this week - Lose Arizona (11 ECV) more than countered by winning the Great Lakes State (16 ECV), although Clinton leads in the latest EPIC/MRA +7 and Emerson +9 polls.

In contrast Clinton has multiple surrogates and is able to spread herself and them much more widely and assist in down ballot races.

And at least twice as much money to spend as well.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yesterday I knocked up some simple Python (maybe 12 lines of code) that pushed all my Android notifications to a Slack channel, and allowed me to respond to emails/texts/etc inside Slack.

Python (and PythonAnywhere) are awesome.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Michigan looks at best "difficult", but if AA turnout is lower in Detroit it could give Trump a sniff (Wisconsin drops before Michigan, mind)

Mind you Michigan confounded the pollsters in the primaries.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

It's probably just as well that there are women who are attracted to ugly men with strange habits, as the human race would die out otherwise.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

I used to be a programmer, and did a comp sci degree. I'd say you need to be sure the course involves using more than one language so that they have a couple of types/examples on your CV. We did Pascal, C, Fortran, assembler and some of us opted for additional stuff like snobol (this was early 1980s).

Occasionally I look at jobs pages and it all seems to be java, scripting languages and IDE environment.
  • Options
    The Iowa Trump voter who voted for Donald twice did so because the election was going to be rigged ....

Hhhhmmm .... :sunglasses:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/10/29/trump_supporter_terri_rote_voted_twice_in_iowa_because_polls_are_rigged.html

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    edited October 2016
    JackW said:

Normally sound advice. But does Trump play by these rules? Does he even listen to people who tell him to go to such and such state?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

My best man had the same technique, he would hit on almost every woman he met with a blatent and fairly crude line, delivered with a degree of charm. 90% of the time he would be knocked back immediately, but he had plenty of the evening left to find the 10% who were up for it. It takes a pretty thick skin, and indiscrimate taste to apply the principle though!

• Options
    Cook gone!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

JackW said:

Normally sound advice. But does Trump play by these rules? Does he even listen to people who tell him to go to such and such state?

JackW said:

I think he's just having fun at this point.
  • Options

JackW said:

Trump's state visiting strategy looks sound enough. One area he has been guided by others I think. If it was down to Trump alone he'd probably be in New York and California..
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Oi! I resent that remark. I'd like to think I come out with some boll*cks most of the time ...
  • Options

Taniel – Verified account ‏@Taniel

The Trump campaign has spent $10 million reimbursing "Trump entities" for campaign services. http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-entities-family-rank-high-as-vendors-to-campaign-1477686100
  • Options
    DavidL said:

And at least twice as much money to spend as well.

Quite.
    Pulpstar said:

Michigan looks at best "difficult", but if AA turnout is lower in Detroit it could give Trump a sniff (Wisconsin drops before Michigan, mind)

Mind you Michigan confounded the pollsters in the primaries.

It reminds me of McCain and Romney spending precious time in Pennsylvania in their final days. The candidate has to offer the prospect of a viable route to victory whilst certainly in McCain's case knowing the effort was entirely futile. Romney at least had the excuse that he genuinely thought the polls were skewed .... sounds familiar.

No point Trump spending time in Alabama or Idaho .. unless there's a teenage beauty pageant happening ?!?

• Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Oi! I resent that remark. I'd like to think I come out with some boll*cks most of the time ...
    Well said Sir .. :smile:
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    rcs1000 said:

There are only three computer programming languages worth knowing:

- Python, 'cause it's awesome
    - C, 'cause it's essential
    - Javascript, 'cause you'll need to do something 'webby' at some point

If you don't want to learn these, then learn something completely esoteric: Erlang or something equivalent. Something where the talent pool is small, and the contracting rates are awesome.
    Thanks for your reply. Luckily I already programme in Python (recreationally) but will need/would like a formal qualification. For my undergraduate degree dissertation I used Python to generate g-code for 3d printing (mechanical engineering).
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Trump's state visiting strategy looks sound enough. One area he has been guided by others I think. If it was down to Trump alone he'd probably be in New York and California..
    He's visiting Michigan not because he will win it he won't, but because it is a symbol of his economic message.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited October 2016

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

My best man had the same technique, he would hit on almost every woman he met with a blatent and fairly crude line, delivered with a degree of charm. 90% of the time he would be knocked back immediately, but he had plenty of the evening left to find the 10% who were up for it. It takes a pretty thick skin, and indiscrimate taste to apply the principle though!

About half of all silly (substitute adventurous/impulsive/curious/self-absorbed/vain/desperate/etc) people (among whom I sometimes count myself) are female.
  • Options

Cook gone!

Bugger .... Sunday lunch goes missing !! .. :astonished:
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

He's visiting Michigan not because he will win it he won't, but because it is a symbol of his economic message.
    Then you camp out in Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania. FOP or bust !!!!!!

• Options
    England half way to the win as are Bangladesh.

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Nigelb said:

If this does swing the election and there is ultimately nothing of substance in the emails then the FBI will be seen to have directly interfered in the election.

I am 100% behind Clinton getting what is due to her if she has committed a crime. But this is wrong because it has been raised too close to the election for voters to know whether there is any truth in it before voting. It will therefore do her harm whether there is anything in the emails or not. The FBI knew this and have therefore taken a decision that they know will impact on the election against all previous conventions.

When we get to the bottom of this there will be political intent somewhere down the line. Doesn't bode well for US democracy when Trump is already claiming the election is "rigged".
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    @NickPalmer
    Your comment is so true regarding powerful people who ignore rules. In fact often they have scathing contempt for the very rules that they try and enforce on others. Recruitment...they bring in their mates. They use sectaries to sort out all their social affairs. Going AWOL without any kind of accountability. Coming into the office pissed and getting someone to drive them back. Getting people to forge signatures on their behalf. Getting people to manipulate auditing and financial regs. And just generally making stuff up on the hoof and expecting others to back them up. That's the public sector for you.

In the private sector...it's on whole different level of corruption. Obviously the things about people going AWOL, coming in stoned or pissed, making stuff up doesn't count...they are not under that kind of scrutiny. But the stories I know or have heard. I know someone who got the firm to fly over his dogs on the private jet to avoid quarantine. Office parties where cocaine and prostitutes were bought in. And just the corruption...fixing stuff, contracts, back handers and swindling.

That is why the Hillary email scandal is pathetic. Using your home server to process your work email. Big friggin deal. Years of public scrutiny into the Clinton affairs in the 1990's, all that money and expense...and what did they get for it? Some spunk on an intern's dress...and Clinton's use of language...:"I did not have sex with that woman."
    And what have they got on Hillary Clinton? She used her home email...I mean FFS with a capital F.

I tell you comrade, the right wing in the States are utterly bonkers. They are like Plato on speed. They see the world through a prism of madness...so for them Hillary using a home email server...lock up the bitch, throw away the key and fry her on the chair while you are at it.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

It's the past, but like COBOL it'll continue to be the past for a long, long time to come.

I agree with rcs1000 about python/c/javascript/weird-thing being the best combination, but it's all similar enough that it doesn't matter that your course is in Java.
  • Options
    JackW said:

But England's best batting is yet to come.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    if anyone wants to look at the Icelandic results this is the link, as posted earlier by Nick Palmer.

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/elections2016/

50% turnout. Looks like another centre right coalition. The pirate party which are in the news all the time got 14% of the votes (27,449), I guess they are angry students or whatever.
    Don't read too much in to a microstate with an electorate of 250,000
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    tyson said:
    " That is why the Hillary email scandal is pathetic. Using your home server to process your work email. Big friggin deal. Years of public scrutiny into the Clinton affairs in the 1990's, all that money and expense...and what did they get for it? Some spunk on an intern's dress...and Clinton's use of language...:"I did not have sex with that woman."
    And what have they got on Hillary Clinton? She used her home email...I mean FFS with a capital F.

I tell you comrade, the right wing in the States are utterly bonkers. They are like Plato on speed. They see the world through a prism of madness...so for them Hillary using a home email server...lock up the bitch, throw away the key and fry her on the chair while you are at it. "

I agree. But I also find it indisputinably scary. I now worry about the democratic process.
  • Options

I did until two years ago (although software engineer is a better term IMO).

I'd argue the language is fairly irrelevant: what matters are the underlying concepts.

Firstly, software covers a vast multitude of sins. Think of the area(s) you'd like to work in: if the embedded space, then Perl/C/asm might be a good combination; if web, then Python/JS/Java. Or there is the weird and wild world of databases, where dragons and devils lurk. There are many, many more areas you could choose. Pick some that interest you and choose a course that matches as many of the areas as possible.

Secondly, most languages cover the same concepts (leaving aside compiled versus interpreted). More important than languages are data structures. Write a linked list, and then write a bug-free one. Learn binary trees and when they should be used. There's plenty more. Some languages give you them for free (e.g. linked list classes or templates), but it is vital you understand how they work. Many graduates do not.

Thirdly, if you're a good engineer then you learn more outside the course than you do in it (note: I've virtually no qualifications to be an engineer, yet was in the industry for yonks, including as a freelancer/contractor). If you don't enjoy it as an occasional hobby, you probably won't enjoy it as a career.

Fourthly, learn saleable skills. *Always* use source control, be it Git, Subversions, CVS - I even saw SCCS at a place a few years back. Get used to checking in and checking out code and documentation, but also branching and merging. Always comment and document code and checkins. As you write code, consider how you'll be testing that particular routine. This are all language-independent skills, but vital. It's good to show them at interview as well.

Fifthly, learn how compilers and linkers work, and preferably processors. They're at the root of what you'll be doing, and I see too may graduates who don't understand them (then again, I was in the embedded space). If you like low-level stuff, teach yourself assembler and write a device driver - Raspberry Pi might be good for this.

Some courses will teach you very little of this, but they're all good things to learn. Perhaps consider choosing a course not on the language they teach, but how many of the above they do.
  • Options
    Latest JackW Small ARSE4US Projection :

Clinton 334 .. Trump 204

Ohio and Iowa move from Toss-Up Clinton to Toss-Up Trump :

http://www.270towin.com/maps/3n96P
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

JackW said:

But England's best batting is yet to come.
    Chortle ....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Okay, so I step away from the cricket for an hour and England are 40/6.
    *runs back to work*
  • Options
    JackW said:

Who could have said this test series with the minnows from Bangladesh would prove to be one of the most exciting in recent history? After all those tests in England that are decided on the coin toss and subsequently wrapped up in three days.

Great stuff from the Banglas
  • Options
    tyson said:

@NickPalmer
    Your comment is so true regarding powerful people who ignore rules. In fact often they have scathing contempt for the very rules that they try and enforce on others. Recruitment...they bring in their mates. They use sectaries to sort out all their social affairs. Going AWOL without any kind of accountability. Coming into the office pissed and getting someone to drive them back. Getting people to forge signatures on their behalf. Getting people to manipulate auditing and financial regs. And just generally making stuff up on the hoof and expecting others to back them up. That's the public sector for you.

In the private sector...it's on whole different level of corruption. Obviously the things about people going AWOL, coming in stoned or pissed, making stuff up doesn't count...they are not under that kind of scrutiny. But the stories I know or have heard. I know someone who got the firm to fly over his dogs on the private jet to avoid quarantine. Office parties where cocaine and prostitutes were bought in. And just the corruption...fixing stuff, contracts, back handers and swindling.

That is why the Hillary email scandal is pathetic. Using your home server to process your work email. Big friggin deal. Years of public scrutiny into the Clinton affairs in the 1990's, all that money and expense...and what did they get for it? Some spunk on an intern's dress...and Clinton's use of language...:"I did not have sex with that woman."

I tell you comrade, the right wing in the States are utterly bonkers. They are like Plato on speed. They see the world through a prism of madness...so for them Hillary using a home email server...lock up the bitch, throw away the key and fry her on the chair while you are at it.

The fact that you belittle the fact that the nation's security was entrusted to someone with no concept of self-security is very worrying.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Who could have said this test series with the minnows from Bangladesh would prove to be one of the most exciting in recent history? After all those tests in England that are decided on the coin toss and subsequently wrapped up in three days.

Great stuff from the Banglas

The sportsman in me wants to see Bangladesh win. However ....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    PlatoSaid said:

Nigelb said:

There's also this report

Hilary must be really bricking it , she has called up Scottish labour leader to canvas for her, flew her out urgently yesterday. How desperate is that.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    JackW said:

Latest JackW Small ARSE4US Projection :

Clinton 334 .. Trump 204

Ohio and Iowa move from Toss-Up Clinton to Toss-Up Trump :

http://www.270towin.com/maps/3n96P

As Pussygate shifts to Wienergate
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

tyson said:

@NickPalmer

The fact that you belittle the fact that the nation's security was entrusted to someone with no concept of self-security is very worrying.
    I am trying to put Hillary's reckless behaviour in some kind of context of how the powerful behave prompted by Nick's post this morning.

• Options
    weejonnie said:

tyson said:

@NickPalmer

But that point is that HRC is hardly the only person to have done this.

Security is hard and, as Mr Palmer mentioned below, some people think that it's something they don't have to bother with (I daresay in the case of politicians it's also wanting to keep something more secret as well as laziness).

However: I disagree with Mr Tyson when he says it's unimportant. It is really very important, and something they should be getting right. Sadly, this controversy is not going to encourage people to take infosec seriously ...
  • Options
    F1: interestingly, Hulkenberg's odds to lead lap 1 are down to 51. Which is still quite long but closer to the 30 or 40/1 I'd say is reflective of the actual chances.

From memory, though I forgot to put this in the pre-race piece, he's on the supersoft tyre. If there's a significant advantage to that, he has the starting advantage and the raw horsepower that those around him lack (only having one of the two respective advantages).

Still very much odds against, of course.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, a university housemate would use a very crude line (basically 'do you want to have sex with me?') on every girl he met in a nightclub, starting from 1am. He got lots of slaps around the face, but almost never left on his own. I was astonished this would ever work, but with 200 women in the club a 0.5% hit rate was good enough! He did this every week for three years!
This discussion has been closed.