Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on who will win the US Presidential race in 2020

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tyson said:

@Malmesbury
    Jeez...if I'm lionising someone (Hillary) whom I called tainted, tired and tarnished (albeit one and three are quite similar), I'd hate to think what I'd say about someone I disliked.

GOP needs to win the election fighting on policy and drawing together a sufficiently electoral coalition that can deliver it 270 EV's...that was my point. The Clinton email stuff is a massive diversion from the dismal electoral appeal of the present day Republicans.

Tainted and tarnished are in no way similar.

Tainted comes from the concerto of "boat taint" and is a foul degradation of the underlying meat.

Tarnish is just a surface panita and can easily be wiped clean (aka "acid bath")
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

Charles said:

OllyT said:

Nigelb said:

Apparently, the FBI did not have a warrant to view the emails when Comey wrote his letter, which is why he has no idea what is in them:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/comey-wrote-bombshell-letter-to-congress-before-fbi-had-reviewed-new-emails-220219586.html

Assuming this is true (& I don't take the Platonic view of uncorroborated sources), the decision to write the letter is pretty extraordinary.

If this does swing the election and there is ultimately nothing of substance in the emails then the FBI will be seen to have directly interfered in the election.

I am 100% behind Clinton getting what is due to her if she has committed a crime. But this is wrong because it has been raised too close to the election for voters to know whether there is any truth in it before voting. It will therefore do her harm whether there is anything in the emails or not. The FBI knew this and have therefore taken a decision that they know will impact on the election against all previous conventions.

When we get to the bottom of this there will be political intent somewhere down the line. Doesn't bode well for US democracy when Trump is already claiming the election is "rigged".
    And if they had done nothing, and it turned out there *was* a bombshell in those emails they would have impacted on the election.

The mistake was the press conference in July, not this.
    If there was a "bombshell" then the legal process would have taken its course and Clinton would be removed from office. As it is she is damned without any evidence prior to polling day either way. I can understand why right wingers who secretly want Trump to win (but are too cowardly to say so) are pleased with this turn of events but that doesn't make it right.
    If the FBI has new things to investigate so be it, did not notice you complaining when decade old groping allegations against Trump were brought up just over a month before polling
    Do you really think the two are equivalent...one are random allegations that are brought up by randomers; the other is raised by a public official against the advice of the AG? Both may be damaging, but there is an etiquette that public offices stay out of elections.
    Hmm - what department was it that put pressure on the FBI to drop the matter?

Does that count as "staying out"?
  • Options
    Floater said:

And no, I am not a fan of Trump.

Could this go on the list?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2016
    weejonnie said:

With all the overnight Florida votes in:

By Mail: Republicans + 65400 (about 3.3%)
    In Person: Democrats + 42000 (about 2.6%)

Compared to archives on the website, these are NOT good for the Republicans.

2014 was relatively low turnout compared to a presidential election year, so the early vote then should be at the high end for Republicans. Look at the split between the numbers voting by mail and the numbers voting in-person in 2014, it won't be that mail-dominated in a presidential year.

The Republican lead in mail is inching its way back up, but the Democrats aren't benefiting from the increased turnout in in-person voting as you would expect them to.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339

Haven't scrolled so not sure if it's been covered, but the final results of the Icelandic general election show that opinion polls there are as dodgy as they are here. The Pirate party finished a long way from power:

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/elections2016/

Yes - it's a pro-EU surge (main policy of Regeneration)!
This discussion has been closed.