Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Conservative David Herdson wonders whether Theresa May’s merit

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    Sean_F said:

Huma Abedin really has been handed the shitty end of the stick over the past few years.

There are some bizarre fly on the wall videos on YouTube that look like the work of Ricky Gervais.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0T1Rb_Q8cg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Ntw2asHfU
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37805970

Lithuania has updated its civil defence booklet telling citizens what to do in the event of a Russian invasion.

It includes large sections on survival techniques and warns that Russia would not hesitate to use military force against its neighbours.

Tens of thousands of copies of the 75-page guide have been distributed.

The government has also launched a telephone hotline for citizens to report anyone they suspect of being a spy.

Anyone left in Vilnius??
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:
    You are hoping, but I'm betting he will hold on to this lifeline for all he's worth.
    He's been given so many life lines and throws them away. No any other GOP candidate and she would be done for but with him, LOL.
    If Trump wins this now, Plato really will have bragging rights.
    I think that's fair :-)

My portfolio (as in my work portfolio) would do extremely well in the event of a Trump victory. But that is insufficient to make me root for him.
    Making a fortune out of a Trump victory would be pretty cold comfort if he started World War III.
    I really don't understand this "starting World War III" nonsense. I'm not a massive fan of the man but he has consistently taken the side of US isolationism and concentrating on internal issues. If anyone starts WW3 i doubt it will be him.

With Hillary on the ther hand you have a neocon war hawk under the influence of the Saudis who will bring even more chaos to the Middle East that could spiral out of control.
    He's talked about using nukes in a first strike capacity.
    He's said a lot of crap.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:
    You are hoping, but I'm betting he will hold on to this lifeline for all he's worth.
    He's been given so many life lines and throws them away. No any other GOP candidate and she would be done for but with him, LOL.

My portfolio (as in my work portfolio) would do extremely well in the event of a Trump victory. But that is insufficient to make me root for him.
    Making a fortune out of a Trump victory would be pretty cold comfort if he started World War III.
    I really don't understand this "starting World War III" nonsense. I'm not a massive fan of the man but he has consistently taken the side of US isolationism and concentrating on internal issues. If anyone starts WW3 i doubt it will be him.

With Hillary on the ther hand you have a neocon war hawk under the influence of the Saudis who will bring even more chaos to the Middle East that could spiral out of control.
    Not really. He was asked the equivalent of the SNP asking Theresa May whether she would use Trident and getting the answer 'yes'.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

Trump has a few firm convictions - he has been a racist and a sexual predator for most of his adult life, for example - the rest seems to depend on what kind of mood he is in.

• Options

I'm not a massive fan of the man

Trump, so horrible that even PB righties have to constantly add provisos and qualifications.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

nunu said:

MP_SE said:

I feel sorry for the poor person who has to trawl through Weiner's laptop.

https://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/792299892089753602

She sent her ex tens of thousands of emails? Don't these people have WhatsApp?
    Maybe she'd signed into her email account from Weiner's laptop and everything was synched there?
    Apart from the NSA saving every email from everyone - as KimDotCom pointed out - it's all there - he even gave the link to it. Wikileaks have the whole lot too.

I watched an Assange intv a few days ago - and he strongly implied Podesta's emails had been leaked to them, not hacked. Given Podesta's email password was passw0rd or something very similar - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to crack it. FFS he emailed it around.

A couple of weeks ago, another Anonymous bod posted his whole Apple and email account. When you're so casual with security - WTF do you expect?

You can't save people from their own stupidity. And Huma emailed herself to a Yahoo account. Doh.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

What they should be doing is expanding regional airports and having direct travel from somewhere other than London.

That's a good idea, in theory. Provided that the airlines want it, of course.
    Airlines love hub and spoke
    Exactly. And the airlines haven't shown any signs of wanting a UK hub anywhere except London (just looking at the destination lists for the various regional airlines demonstrates this).

With the delays through the coalition, Brown's government and Blair's government, for much of the country the "UK hub" has by default become Amsterdam, as various PBers have noted from their personal experiences.

No matter what they do with Heathrow I would still rather use Schipol as my hub
    It is a million times better arranged as an airport
    Than T3 and T4, maybe. Not compared with T5 and new T2.
    Your comment makes Richard's point for him. T5 and T2 are great, but the difficulty of transferring between terminals severely limits Heathrow's usefulness as a hub.
    Not really since codeshare flights work on the basis of being in the same terminal. Terminal 2 is the defacto Star Alliance terminal and T5 is BA/One World.
    Try flying on BA from Las Vegas to Moscow and come back to me.
    That's a 6h30 connection time according to Skyscanner...
  • Options
    Surely, for the sake of the civilised world, Clinton has to withdraw: the risk of handing the presidency to Trump simply through her failings is too great. The uneducated masses were emboldened enough by Brexit; imagine how they'd react if Trump got in. I think there would be some sort of uprising whereby 'elites' and intellectuals were hung from lampposts. The Brexit and Trump phenomenon really is tossing raw meat to the pack.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

The problem with Trump is that he's so erratic. He might well intend to be an isolationist, but wait till some foreign leader insults him.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

You want to be poor in the rubble?

* If Trump wins and starts WWIII that isn't something you can control.
    * What you can control is how much you bet and on who
    * A lot of the discussion here is on the shittiness of Trump vs the shittyness of Clinton and none of it is relevant
    * What I want to know is who is winning and what are the odds.
    * If Trump starts looking as if he is winning and the odds remain above 2/1 then betting on him looks good. If not, not.
    I was watching one of the US business channels yesterday, and shorting the Mexican peso is a good proxy for betting on Trump.
    Good to know. It's been mentioned that selling USD is also an approach: if Trump wins, USD will fall, at least in the short term. Since I'm trying to buy USD, at least in the short-term (see posts here passim), this is a bit worrying...
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited October 2016

Trump, so horrible that even PB righties have to constantly add provisos and qualifications.
    Trump's past friendship with that loathsome Nationalist slob Salmond is a black mark, for sure.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

A racist, mysoginist, unstable, preening fool in the White House would clearly be a dream come true for some on here. Looks like it could well happen now, whatever the reality.

http://europe.newsweek.com/hillary-clinton-emails-fbi-comey-donald-trump-anthony-weiner-huma-abedin-514918?rm=eu
    Well Trump could still get in.

He does have a chance. Racists everywhere will celebrate if he is successful. The US will be a place to avoid for a while - the cities, at least.

I'm off to New York the week after..... At least the change rate will be better
  • Options

Surely, for the sake of the civilised world, Clinton has to withdraw: the risk of handing the presidency to Trump simply through her failings is too great. The uneducated masses were emboldened enough by Brexit; imagine how they'd react if Trump got in. I think there would be some sort of uprising whereby 'elites' and intellectuals were hung from lampposts. The Brexit and Trump phenomenon really is tossing raw meat to the pack.

Agreed. But she is unlikely to do it.
    :cry:
  • Options
    A Trump presidency would certainly delight the Brexit/51st-State faction. Presumably, once Britain is subsumed, Trump would install Farage as a kind of viceroy.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

Not really. He was asked the equivalent of the SNP asking Theresa May whether she would use Trident and getting the answer 'yes'.
    He's been asked in many different ways about it and given various levels of terrifying answers.

He has said he would be willing to use nukes as a response to an non-nuclear attack by ISIS. He's fine with East Asian nuclear proliferation, with Saudi getting getting nukes.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,335
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

So has Hilary. It's one reason why I'm extremely dubious as to whether she would actually be any better in practice than Trump.

(It is however perfectly possible she was merely bragging in order to look and sound tough. Equally, someone who says when asked how she would deal with problems in the ME that she would 'wipe Iran off the map' merely to look tough is not somebody who should be allowed near the top of politics anyway. That goes for Trump as well.)
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited October 2016
    At Last, we finally have a ECV POTUS market open again from Sporting - and boy has there been a movement on their spreads:

Clinton Mid-Spread: 304.5 (-24.5)

Trump: 231.5 (+24.5)

N.B. At the same time their spread margin has increased by a whopping 50% from 10 ECVs to 15. That's what i meant about them being Frit!

Meanwhile the latest forecast from 538.com shows a much smaller movement since yesterday:

Clinton 324 (-4)

Trump 213 (+4)

Spreadex remains closed ...... no surprise there then.

If you believe Nate Silver's numbers over those of Sporting's then there's money to be made, but the greatest care is required - it's easy to lose a lot of money on the spreads!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Why do you presume Leave voters are uneducated?

• Options

Trump's past friendship with that loathsome Nationalist slob Salmond is a black mark, for sure.
    Speaking of SNP, I am getting a growing level of resentment from English people to Sturgeon. Yesterday a gay 40 year old leftie friend described her as "that awful krankie woman". I was a bit taken aback but it may be that the SNP really want to upset english people so much that they want rid of the Scots?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    edited October 2016

Don't worry Stark when the "elites" get strung up we'll protect you! :smiley:
  • Options

Speaking of SNP, I am getting a growing level of resentment from English people to Sturgeon. Yesterday a gay 40 year old leftie friend described her as "that awful krankie woman". I was a bit taken aback but it may be that the SNP really want to upset english people so much that they want rid of the Scots?
    It's her only chance. Scots are far too clever to vote to leave the Union.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

The problem with Trump is that he's so erratic. He might well intend to be an isolationist, but wait till some foreign leader insults him.
    Well, I anticipate he might have fewer planning issues for his golf course here in Scotland once his hand is hovering over the big red button.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,979

In fairness I believe as a whole we are more likely to be uneducated, though clearly sizable numbers are not. It's the same mistake as thinking poor people don't vote Tory, when in fact millions probably do, though on the whole poorer constituencies do not have a majority of people who vote Tory.
  • Options

Quality anecdotage.
    The 'a bit taken aback' is especially good.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

I disagree about Hilary. She will probably be too tired to do much as POTUS and stuff will just happen around her. Putin will feel able to push more confrontations in Europe.
    I view Trump as trigger happy. A lousy choice , which is why someone else would be welcome than these awful pair.
  • Options
    Want to be provoked?

https://youtu.be/GN_FOCF3vIQ
  • Options

I've met a few who seem mildly intelligent, but the majority just seem bent on mindless destruction and getting one over on their betters.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Tim Kaine is 470 on Betfair, if Hillary actually steps back he'll go favourite.
  • Options

Quality anecdotage.
    Yes, I take that on the chin. But I also am a long term supporter of Sindie just to get the rabid socialists in Scotland to wake up to the economic reality of life.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

I disagree about Hilary. She will probably be too tired to do much as POTUS and stuff will just happen around her. Putin will feel able to push more confrontations in Europe.
    I view Trump as trigger happy. A lousy choice , which is why someone else would be welcome than these awful pair.
    Here we fundamentally disagree - Hillary's sabre rattling and war mongering worries me. Trump hasn't said anything like she has. Jill Stein has said on Twitter that she thinks Hillary is more dangerous re wars. I agree.

The #DraftYourDaughters meme got huge traction for a reason.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

In fairness I believe as a whole we are more likely to be uneducated, though clearly sizable numbers are not. It's the same mistake as thinking poor people don't vote Tory, when in fact millions probably do, though on the whole poorer constituencies do not have a majority of people who vote Tory.
    Sunil Prasannan, BSc. (Hons.), ARCS, PhD, DIC*

(* Diploma of Imperial College, NOT Drunk in Charge!)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Hopefully they'll get quisling traitor remainers first.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

Well, I anticipate he might have fewer planning issues for his golf course here in Scotland once his hand is hovering over the big red button.
    But with independence Scotland will be nuke free and thus safe from nuke threats as they will confront threats with bunches of heather and the deterent of midges on the grounds that who the f*** wants to go there in summer?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Not happening whilst she has a pulse and is at liberty.
  • Options

kle4 said:

“Philosophers are people who know less and less about more and more, until they know nothing about everything. Scientists are people who know more and more about less and less, until they know everything about nothing.”
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

If you believe Nate Silver's numbers over those of Sporting's then there's money to be made, but the greatest care is required - it's easy to lose a lot of money on the spreads!

The 538 numbers are now out of date though - a model lacking the latest relevant information is going to be wrong.

Doesn't really matter that the latest email "scandal" is not Clinton herself but an aide, there will be some damage as the whole saga gets re-aired.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited October 2016
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

I'm fairly confident she'd have to be dead, rather than in jail.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

Surely she will only start wars if there is money in it for her. So smallish, profitable ones. Nuclear war would not boost their personal fortunes at all.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I've met a few who seem mildly intelligent, but the majority just seem bent on mindless destruction and getting one over on their betters.
    That's unfair. Although many LEAVE voters were stupid, so were many REMAIN voters and many LEAVErs had well-reasoned arguments for their vote (see Richard_Tyndall or rcs1000, for example). My issues with them revolved around the inaccuracy of their beliefs and the unrealism of their predicted outcomes, and/or that I disagreed with their priorities. It's usually a mistake to think your opponents are stupid.

• Options

kle4 said:

I'd guess that STEM graduates were overwhelming Leavers, while social science and arts types like Stark Boring were Remainers.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

A Trump presidency would certainly delight the Brexit/51st-State faction. Presumably, once Britain is subsumed, Trump would install Farage as a kind of viceroy.

Farage ruling the UK would surely be a good thing.
  • Options
    Scott Adams
    Russian hackers are better than we thought. They stole Clinton's emails from the NSA, put them on Huma's laptop, and pinned it on Weiner.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

I'm fairly confident she'd have to be dead, rather than in jail.
    You're probably right.
  • Options

Quality anecdotage.
    Yes, I take that on the chin. But I also am a long term supporter of Sindie just to get the rabid socialists in Scotland to wake up to the economic reality of life.
    If I had a pound for every southern, reactionary computer chair potato who has said that they're a 'supporter' of Scottish independence, I'd have a handy 3 figure sum. If I also had a pound for every one of those chaps who had actually lifted even one (no doubt ample) buttock to help it happen, I'd have precisely the same 3 figure sum.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Farage ruling the UK would surely be a good thing.

The only good thing about it would be that the liberal leaders of the Brexit mob would understand what they've done.
  • Options

*Please* stop counting the degrees you did simultaneously as separate degrees, it's like people with Master's degrees counting their associated Diplomas as separate qualifications, even though you get the latter automatically when you get the former
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

What they should be doing is expanding regional airports and having direct travel from somewhere other than London.

Exactly. And the airlines haven't shown any signs of wanting a UK hub anywhere except London (just looking at the destination lists for the various regional airlines demonstrates this).

With the delays through the coalition, Brown's government and Blair's government, for much of the country the "UK hub" has by default become Amsterdam, as various PBers have noted from their personal experiences.

An international transit passenger spends next to bugger all in the UK, maybe the price of a cup of coffee. It is true that someone has to be employed to shift their bags between aeroplanes and that by operating as a hub there maybe more destinations available from the airport than otherwise would be the case, that is to say more flights and more landing fees. However does that justify the full costs of expanding Heathrow?

Why not let Schipol become the hub? It is becoming the de facto hub now and by the time Heathrow 3 has been built will have embedded itself in that position. Does it make sense at this point in time to try and compete, especially when there will be no return on investment just added costs (the the airlines, the exchequer and to the wider economy) for decades to come.
    What happened to 'Great' Britain? Where did our ambition go, our drive not just to be the best in the world, but to lead the world forwards?

Whether it's Heathrow R3, HS2, broadband, or a whole smorgasbord of issues, some people seem to count the pennies more than the opportunities. Dragging the country backwards because of the risk of moving forwards.

Let's just do it.
    Problem si we hav eto get foreigners in to do it as we are crap and have no cash, so foreign funding and foreign built.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Quality anecdotage.
    If I had a pound for every southern, reactionary computer chair potato who has said that they're a 'supporter' of Scottish independence, I'd have a handy 3 figure sum. If I also had a pound for every one of those chaps who had actually lifted even one (no doubt ample) buttock to help it happen, I'd have precisely the same 3 figure sum.
    All that needs to happen is for Sturgeon to call for a UK-wide vote and you'll get your freedom.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

*Please* stop counting the degrees you did simultaneously as separate degrees, it's like people with Master's degrees counting their associated Diplomas as separate qualifications, even though you get the latter automatically when you get the former
    That's a bit mean comrade......

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    kle4 said:

The levels of sanctimonious condescension on here are sometimes mind-boggling
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: P3 kicks off in twenty minutes.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

Here we fundamentally disagree - Hillary's sabre rattling and war mongering worries me. Trump hasn't said anything like she has. Jill Stein has said on Twitter that she thinks Hillary is more dangerous re wars. I agree.

The #DraftYourDaughters meme got huge traction for a reason.
    I agree. I prefer Trump's approach to Syria to Hillary's. It's the only thing I agree with him on.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    First evidence of a Trump ground game in MD today. I received an email with a specific voter ID and asking for a commitment to vote Trump, with a one click response:

"Every vote matters - especially highly targeted votes in zip code 20872. We are looking for 30 more votes for Donald Trump in your neighborhood and that's why counting your vote before midnight tonight is essential. The stakes have NEVER been higher than they are in 2016.

"Tim, Will you be one of those 30 votes for Donald Trump in 20872?

"Can Donald Trump count on your vote in 20872?"

This getting people to commit to vote was a feature of Obama's 2008 campaign. I understand from a friend who is campaigning for Hillary in NH that Hillary's ground game is even more sophisticated, with multiple personal contacts to build the commitment to vote (regardless of the person's vote preference), then a commitment as to when they will vote, followed up with a call after the time to ask if they have voted and if not, whether they need help getting to the polling station. The concept is that, by targeting postal codes generally sympathetic to the campaign, they don't need to waste time finding out how the person will vote, they just need to get as many as possible from that post code to vote as the more who vote, the more the absolute vote lead they get from that district.

Apocryphally, this is clearly a low enthusiasm election in MD. There are virtually no presidential signs out on lawns. Not even in Bethesda (presumably very strong Hillary country), nor in upstate (strong GOP, probably strong Trump).
  • Options

Quality anecdotage.
    All that needs to happen is for Sturgeon to call for a UK-wide vote and you'll get your freedom.
    It would mirror Brexit. Scotland, Northern Ireland In ; England, Wales Out.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517

Lithuania has updated its civil defence booklet telling citizens what to do in the event of a Russian invasion.

It includes large sections on survival techniques and warns that Russia would not hesitate to use military force against its neighbours.

The government has also launched a telephone hotline for citizens to report anyone they suspect of being a spy.

I wonder who paid for that.
  • Options

Quality anecdotage.
    I've always thought that Scotland's best chance of independence was to give the English a vote on it.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

nunu said:

MikeK said:

nunu said:

Precisely.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited October 2016

Quality anecdotage.
    Great!
    If you could provide an explanation of the constitutional mechanism necessary to make this happen, that would be excellent.
  • Options

I'd guess that STEM graduates were overwhelming Leavers, while social science and arts types like Stark Boring were Remainers.

Most STEM graduates I know were for REMAIN, although the support was nuanced rather than tribal. The romantic ones were very REMAIN, the richer ones were pro-Remain, the pragmatists were willing to be persuaded either way, and the older ones were more ambiguous.
  • Options

Somebody who'd met Putin?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

An international transit passenger spends next to bugger all in the UK, maybe the price of a cup of coffee. It is true that someone has to be employed to shift their bags between aeroplanes and that by operating as a hub there maybe more destinations available from the airport than otherwise would be the case, that is to say more flights and more landing fees. However does that justify the full costs of expanding Heathrow?

Why not let Schipol become the hub? It is becoming the de facto hub now and by the time Heathrow 3 has been built will have embedded itself in that position. Does it make sense at this point in time to try and compete, especially when there will be no return on investment just added costs (the the airlines, the exchequer and to the wider economy) for decades to come.
    What happened to 'Great' Britain? Where did our ambition go, our drive not just to be the best in the world, but to lead the world forwards?

Whether it's Heathrow R3, HS2, broadband, or a whole smorgasbord of issues, some people seem to count the pennies more than the opportunities. Dragging the country backwards because of the risk of moving forwards.

Let's just do it.
    Problem si we hav eto get foreigners in to do it as we are crap and have no cash, so foreign funding and foreign built.
    Been at the tinnies already?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

That's unfair. Although many LEAVE voters were stupid, so were many REMAIN voters and many LEAVErs had well-reasoned arguments for their vote (see Richard_Tyndall or rcs1000, for example). My issues with them revolved around the inaccuracy of their beliefs and the unrealism of their predicted outcomes, and/or that I disagreed with their priorities. It's usually a mistake to think your opponents are stupid.

Yes, the problem with some of the brighter Leavers wasn't lack of intelligence but a weird combination of hubris and naivety. They actually thought they were running things. Turns out that none of the big players actually gave a stuff about their 'preferred options', EEA/EFTA and the rest of that alphabet soup. They were always playing with primal forces beyond their control.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Quality anecdotage.
    To be fair though, why on earth should English or Welsh supporters of Sindy actually do anything to make it happen? It is not our party.

• Options
    viewcode said:

Bingo!

http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2015_51/1340906/kerry-putin-ejo-121515_e1e015f96f5af064d6b8199a5b51cf12.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Does it have a blue flag with yellow stars on the back cover?
  • Options
    tyson said:

viewcode said:

That's a bit mean comrade......

It's not an anti-Sunil thing (don't be offended Sunil, it's not agin' you) but it's something one shouldn't do, it's the academic equivalent of double-counting.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Yes, the problem with some of the brighter Leavers wasn't lack of intelligence but a weird combination of hubris and naivety. They actually thought they were running things. Turns out that none of the big players actually gave a stuff about their 'preferred options', EEA/EFTA and the rest of that alphabet soup. They were always playing with primal forces beyond their control.
    Stark raving?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Quality anecdotage.
    To be fair though, why on earth should English or Welsh supporters of Sindy actually do anything to make it happen? It is not our party.

It would be afterwards
  • Options

MTimT said:

Quality anecdotage.

It would be afterwards
    Lol.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Your comment makes Richard's point for him. T5 and T2 are great, but the difficulty of transferring between terminals severely limits Heathrow's usefulness as a hub.
    Not really since codeshare flights work on the basis of being in the same terminal. Terminal 2 is the defacto Star Alliance terminal and T5 is BA/One World.

Flew to Torinto BA from T5, where I parked my car. Flew back yesterday from Vancouver into T3. Took close to an hour to get between the two. Very, very annoying.

An hour? From reaching the T3 arrivals hall? Was HEX not working? It shouldn't take more than 25 minutes even if you just miss a train.
    :tumbleweed:
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Quality anecdotage.

If only their masterly inactivity also included abstaining from sour, ill informed commentaries on the subject.
  • Options
    Fox
    Utah Poll Average: @realDonaldTrump leads with 31%, with @Evan_McMullin and @HillaryClinton in second with 25.2%. https://t.co/k65D0tZOpK
  • Options

Can only be good news, the racism is spreading beyond foreigners , poles etc , good news that Scotland is back in same category. Will serve to harden opinion up here on getting out of the carcrash xenophobic UK crapwagon.
  • Options
    This is such a weird campaign

Washex.am
    Fraudbook: Top Facebook Democrat funding "Republicans for Clinton" https://t.co/vw3XcDA1Lg https://t.co/Y4whjzLW4F
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Quality anecdotage.
    Great!
    If you could provide an explanation of the constitutional mechanism necessary to make this happen, that would be excellent.
    Yes it's quite simple actually. Even a Scottish-only indyref is technically not legally binding in itself, the point is it would be used to force Westminster to pass an Act of Parliament formally renouncing sovereignty. As legally any secession must go through Westminster then it is perfectly possible for the consultative referendum to be passed by Westminster and cover the entire UK.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Let's just do it.
    Only an uneducated buffoon would come up with such a dullards response. I have not indeed had a drop and lowlifes like yourself should not imagine your betters are like you. Crawl back under your rock.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Bingo!

http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2015_51/1340906/kerry-putin-ejo-121515_e1e015f96f5af064d6b8199a5b51cf12.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg
    Thank you
  • Options
    Completely O/T...but something I've meant to post out, but looking at this photo...

I have to say that Theresa May is extremely photogenic. She's a very stylish women. Cameron always looked a bit of a spiv, but May is possibly the best dressed political leader I can think of.
  • Options
    Townhall
    Luntz: Last Time Clinton's Email Woes Were This Bad, She Lost 22 States to Bernie Sanders https://t.co/EQWHcUJlbJ
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Sadly not all of them .....
  • Options

Quality anecdotage.
    I've always thought that Scotland's best chance of independence was to give the English a vote on it.
    There was a poll before 2014 that found this view in the English.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Let's just do it.
    Only an uneducated buffoon would come up with such a dullards response. I have not indeed had a drop and lowlifes like yourself should not imagine your betters are like you. Crawl back under your rock.
    My, aren't you a happy bunny.
  • Options

Canada...?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited October 2016
    Lol.

Joe Biden's reaction to the latest Clinton email scandal:

"O God, Anthony Weiner. Um, I should not comment on Anthony Weiner. I am not a big fan".

https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/792359883744174080
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

I think that there is a level of anti-English hostility within some of the SNP ranks which would be actionable if expressed about almost any other groups. It is one of the saddest features of nationalism out of control.
  • Options

Quality anecdotage.
    Great!
    Yes it's quite simple actually. Even a Scottish-only indyref is technically not legally binding in itself, the point is it would be used to force Westminster to pass an Act of Parliament formally renouncing sovereignty. As legally any seccession must go through Westminster then it is perfectly possible for the consulatative referendum to be passed by Westminster and cover the entire UK.
    I'm guessing the bit of the UK constitution that states that the FM of one of the devolved regions of the UK can require Westminster to pass a UK wide referendum is definitely one of the unwritten bits.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    edited October 2016
    A piece advocating being a citizen of the world (contrary to May's speech at conference):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37788717

I feel it utterly misses the point, and doesn't even acknowledge the concerns people have about globalisation in a social as well as economic sense.

It's a sermon for the converted.

Edited extra bit: F1: P3 underway.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Quality anecdotage.
    Great!
    Yes it's quite simple actually. Even a Scottish-only indyref is technically not legally binding in itself, the point is it would be used to force Westminster to pass an Act of Parliament formally renouncing sovereignty. As legally any seccession must go through Westminster then it is perfectly possible for the consulatative referendum to be passed by Westminster and cover the entire UK.
    I'm guessing the bit of the UK constitution that states that the FM of one of the devolved regions of the UK can require Westminster to pass a UK wide referendum is definitely one of the unwritten bits.
    Where there's a will there's a way, i'm sure it could be negotiated. Fundamentally there is no legal reason a UK-wide referendum couldn't happen.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Let's just do it.

Comrade....do not take the bait.
    Your reply was funny...a bit Irvine Welsh without the profanity. It's a given that the Scots are intellectually superior to their southern cousins.
  • Options

Quality anecdotage.
    :muppet-watch:
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Quality anecdotage.
    Great!
    Some of the stuff "The National" is putting out now is borderline as it is, The Mail etc would be proud.
  • Options
    tyson said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Let's just do it.

Your reply was funny...a bit Irvine Welsh without the profanity. It's a given that the Scots are intellectually superior to their southern cousins.
    If it's given the Scots will surely take it.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

It's equivalent to, say, Reading, Horsham or Newbury in terms of prosperity and it's a good commute to London: about 30 mins to Paddington if memory serves, tho' Sunil will be able to advise better than I.

Better than I? Better than I?

Better than ME!!!!!
  • Options

viewcode said:

It's equivalent to, say, Reading, Horsham or Newbury in terms of prosperity and it's a good commute to London: about 30 mins to Paddington if memory serves, tho' Sunil will be able to advise better than I.

Better than I? Better than I?

Better than ME!!!!!
    ...better than I [can].
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Quality anecdotage.
    Great!
    Some of the stuff "The National" is putting out now is borderline as it is, The Mail etc would be proud.
    I'm sure that would be a scintillating point, if it was responding to the correct post.
  • Options
    tyson said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Let's just do it.

Surely shrink under your rock should be your hanging ego...?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Just had a quick look at the Nevada early voting stats

39815 Other
    98055 Dems
    62943 Reps

In total there's 1.4 million registered voters so that's 13% of the state voted.

As ever, names and distrcit of voters available on gov website http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/election/Pages/EV_TurnoutData.aspx
  • Options
    I see our in-house psycho hang-em high pontificate is above moderation. Surely it is about time he grew up or sought therapy?

:schumukie-where-are-you:
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Flew to Torinto BA from T5, where I parked my car. Flew back yesterday from Vancouver into T3. Took close to an hour to get between the two. Very, very annoying.

An hour? From reaching the T3 arrivals hall? Was HEX not working? It shouldn't take more than 25 minutes even if you just miss a train.

The passport reading machines brokedown, then the trains played up.

OK, so not to get between terminals. Thanks for clearing that up.

Wow, you caught me out! Ha, ha. And there was me thinking travelling between T3 and T5 was travelling between them!

The time from stepping off the plane to reaching the arrivals hall cannot sensibly be described as "travelling between terminals".
This discussion has been closed.