Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Conservative David Herdson wonders whether Theresa May’s merit

Comments

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

weejonnie said:

Nate Silver's view

"But in a political sense, there’s certainly some downside for Clinton in the appearance of headlines containing the words “FBI,” “investigation” and “email” just 11 days before the election."

"Certainly some downside"

lol

This is from the man who couldn't bring himself to say she collapsed.
    We need polling urgently!!
    It's PB.. we always need polling. :p
    I need some urgent reassurance on Clinton as my landslide predictions are looking very sickly after the FBI got involved again.
    Trump will probably do something offputting again.

Reassured ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,892
    So POTUS will either be a seedy, tax avoiding, fantasist and serial groper. Or someone who is thoroughly corrupt and might well finish their Presidential terms behind bars?

And we think we've got problems. :smiley:
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Sean_F said:

Why do the voters keep electing useless Labour people on the councils and for the Police commissioner? It is also the voters that are tolerating the abuses by re-electing the same party.

The conclusion is that many voters don't care, unfortunately.
    Labour is still the best fit party for a significant proportion of the electorate (either favoured positively, or as the best of the available options,) there's a significant amount of habit voting, and (possibly) some people think the election is a one-horse race and feel happier and safer going with the herd, and feeling that they have backed the winning side.

It's why I reckon that Corbyn could be run over by a bus and succeeded by the Yorkshire Ripper, and Labour would still manage to poll something close to a quarter of the popular vote in a general election. They can be displaced, but if it happens it'll likely be a lengthy and attritional process.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

So POTUS will either be a seedy, tax avoiding, fantasist and serial groper. Or someone who is thoroughly corrupt and might well finish their Presidential terms behind bars?

Lifetime achievements

Clinton
    Getting married to someone talented

Trump
    Being born into a rich family
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,987
    GIN1138 said:

I've said it before... I'm sure HM is ready to appoint an interim governor at a moments notice.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I've laid off my North Carolina bet. I may use the money to plough more into Clinton.

:fbi-wiretap-lites-[sic]-up: ;)
  • Options

But 'things are different now' and 'the government is taking action behind the scenes' etc etc etc.
    The list of government inaction was long, I had questions which went:
    When is Home Secretary Theresa May going to take ....etc etc Govt failing etc etc
    This is where local politicians need to be held accountable first.

1. Labour's Rotherham Council are at fault.
    2. Labour's latest Police and crime commissioner for South Yorkshire Police needs to act.

And when they don't ? And when the IPCC, Ofsted and all 'three monkeys' alphabet soup regulators don't ? Rotherham was exposed not by the authorities - who all claimed nothing was wrong - but by outsiders. The only government minister who took any action was Eric Pickles. He commissioned a report into Rotherham Council (notice that no equivalent has been made into the South Yorkshire Police) which quickly exposed that it was in 'complete denial' and 'not fit for purpose': http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31130750
    Yet year after year Ofsted reported no problems. When Keith Vaz is one of the few people who have acted with integrity on an issue you know that there is something fundamentally wrong.
    Why do the voters keep electing useless Labour people on the councils and for the Police commissioner? It is also the voters that are tolerating the abuses by re-electing the same party.
    Some people vote for a party because they always have done and their fathers and grandfathers before them.
    I also suspect that there are many vested interests against having change - in low turnout elections these are a large proportion of the vote.
    Yes all of that. But we should hold accountable those who's job is to deal with certain matters. The rival parties in those localities need to do a better job and so should the local media.
  • Options
    It is amusing that articles about "Can Clinton Pardon Himself?" are being dusted off to answer the question Can Clinton Pardon Herself?
  • Options

Are there any PBers who know Maidenhead ?

I'd always assumed it was an upmarket town but it looked pretty drab on the news reports:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37766708

Is it one of those south-east towns where the affluent live in surrounding villages while the town itself is much less so ?

If you are surrounded by Slough and Reading "up-market" is relative....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

But 'things are different now' and 'the government is taking action behind the scenes' etc etc etc.
    When is Home Secretary Theresa May going to take ....etc etc Govt failing etc etc

2. Labour's latest Police and crime commissioner for South Yorkshire Police needs to act.

And when they don't ? And when the IPCC, Ofsted and all 'three monkeys' alphabet soup regulators don't ? Rotherham was exposed not by the authorities - who all claimed nothing was wrong - but by outsiders. The only government minister who took any action was Eric Pickles. He commissioned a report into Rotherham Council (notice that no equivalent has been made into the South Yorkshire Police) which quickly exposed that it was in 'complete denial' and 'not fit for purpose': http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31130750
    Yet year after year Ofsted reported no problems. When Keith Vaz is one of the few people who have acted with integrity on an issue you know that there is something fundamentally wrong.
    That is democracy. But it is also why the national government needs to make it clear to local voters where the buck stops and encourage them to change matters.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

weejonnie said:

RobD said:

weejonnie said:

Nate Silver's view

"But in a political sense, there’s certainly some downside for Clinton in the appearance of headlines containing the words “FBI,” “investigation” and “email” just 11 days before the election."

lol

There was a boost in the LA Times - but that is weekly so any changes are damped down (and probably just shows that the AA on their panel changed sides again).
    I don't pay any attention to LA Times poll. Either it is rubbish, which some PBers have pointed out for technical reasons, or they are right and everyone else is wrong and I will lose some money.
    But remember - the Trend is your Friend. Nate reduces absolute values by 5% in favour of Clinton, so the 2.4 lead it shows for Trump is converted into a 3% (after rounding) for Clinton. The more important fact is that Trump's lead (which at one time was 6.7% and then dropped to -1.3) is now recovered by 3.7%.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    GIN1138 said:

:lol: - Normally find this stuff terribly dull, but can’t remember a more entertaining campaign.
  • Options
    OT - haven't been back in a while, but this is a damn shame

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/29/exeter-fire-still-burning-as-ruptured-gas-main-fuels-flames

Still burning after 24 hours due to a gas main.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

.....It's why I reckon that Corbyn could be run over by a bus and succeeded by the Yorkshire Ripper, and Labour would still manage to poll something close to a quarter of the popular vote in a general election. They can be displaced, but if it happens it'll likely be a lengthy and attritional process.
    Under present circumstances, I would put the Labour bottom at 20% and that they are realistically at 25% now. If a viable centre or centre left alternative, develops then they will drop below 20%.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

scotslass said:

The truth is four months into a May premiership and there is NOTHING to commend her leadership

That's not a fact, that's an opinion.

And for it to be a valid one, you need to be able to suggest some things that she could have done differently that you would have been happier with...

Given she has done nothing so far how is it possible.
    Not sure why we're having that by election in Richmond Park then. ;)
    True she did an 180 degree turn on Heathrow , knowing well it will be in the long grass for at least 10 years and can be dumped along the line.
    You don't happen to have a turnip farm on the planned location of the third runway, do you? :D
    I wish
  • Options

It is amusing that articles about "Can Clinton Pardon Himself?" are being dusted off to answer the question Can Clinton Pardon Herself?

Very good.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited October 2016
    I think we need to rethink health expenditure; both public and private. For example:

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/13CD9/production/_92131118_priscilla_pa.jpg

[Src.: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37802306]

Are we doing more harm than good?
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

I've said it before... I'm sure HM is ready to appoint an interim governor at a moments notice.
    Well we've rolled back the years by getting out the EU so no reason USA can't roll back the Centuries and rejoin the Empire/Commonwealth! ;)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,686

Sean_F said:

That is democracy. But it is also why the national government needs to make it clear to local voters where the buck stops and encourage them to change matters.
    Don't worry. A lot of the Labour local council representatives across the country may soon be swept aside and replaced by candidates whose only qualification is the phrase "I support Jeremy Corbyn" in their election statement. I hope that provides some reassurance.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN.
    Morning Malc! What do you make of this years POTUS election?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

scotslass said:

The truth is four months into a May premiership and there is NOTHING to commend her leadership

And for it to be a valid one, you need to be able to suggest some things that she could have done differently that you would have been happier with...

True she did an 180 degree turn on Heathrow , knowing well it will be in the long grass for at least 10 years and can be dumped along the line.
    Not a 180 degree turn - it's been obvious for years that if there were to be a decision, it would be Heathrow. At most she's taken the handbrake off and the car has started to roll. There's still time for an emergency stop, sadly.
  • Options

Tribalism.

As I've said before, I don't think that anyone who votes for a party because they always have and their parents always have and their grandparents always did really deserves the vote. On a national scale, it doesn't much matter because there are roughly equal numbers on both sides and they cancel each other out. But on a local scale it does cause problems.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

GIN1138 said:

:lol: - Normally find this stuff terribly dull, but can’t remember a more entertaining campaign.
    I am sure Hollywood is considering making a film out of it - they just need the final denouemont to decide whether it is one woman's triumph over adversity or a gallant attack on wealth and privilege that fails.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Hillary needs to be careful about commenting on the FBI. Trump can get away with it to some extent but she is regarded as the Establishment. From her, it could easily look like bullying. "Don't you know who I am."
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN.
    Both have been taking lessons from Tories I think. It is as crooked as a 3 bob bit. I am hoping "The Donald" triumphs but it shows how poor the supposed free world has fallen. Only thing that can save us us is Europe but it looks like we are chained to US and they are determined to become as mediocre and crooked as the UK.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Sean_F said:

Don't worry. A lot of the Labour local council representatives across the country may soon be swept aside and replaced by candidates whose only qualification is the phrase "I support Jeremy Corbyn" in their election statement. I hope that provides some reassurance.
    Local government is elected by the same unjust FPTP system as national government. The result can be 95% or 100% of the seats on 40% or 50% of the vote. A.k.a. a recipe for a corrupt one-party state.

Also WTF should voters expect their actions to change matters if local government is run by directives from Whitehall and has been since the early post-War years? Unlike most of rest of Europe.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

If that is wide spread it will at least reduce the chances of Labour people being elected and provides opportunities for other parties to get elected and over turn this corrupt monopoly.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

scotslass said:

Not a 180 degree turn - it's been obvious for years that if there were to be a decision, it would be Heathrow. At most she's taken the handbrake off and the car has started to roll. There's still time for an emergency stop, sadly.
    It was not that long ago she was bloigging about how bad it would be and what a great decision Cameron made banning it. What they should be doing is expanding regional airports and having direct travel from somewhere other than London. Their obsession with channelling all the money , infrastructure into London has wrecked the country. They are welcome to be the pollution and laundering capital of the world.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I'd always assumed it was an upmarket town but it looked pretty drab on the news reports:

Is it one of those south-east towns where the affluent live in surrounding villages while the town itself is much less so ?

Haven't been there for yonks but it used to be quite nice, at least the bits near the river were. In Victorian times Maidenhead was adultery central for the upper classes. It had the river, nice hotels with very discreet staff and was generally the place to take someone else's wife. Such was its reputation it even gets a mention as such by Jerome in "Three men in a boat" and the one of the murders in "Kind Hearts and Coronets" was based around a place very like Maidenhead and an adulterous aristocrat.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

weejonnie said:

RobD said:

weejonnie said:

Nate Silver's view

lol

There was a boost in the LA Times - but that is weekly so any changes are damped down (and probably just shows that the AA on their panel changed sides again).
    I don't pay any attention to LA Times poll. Either it is rubbish, which some PBers have pointed out for technical reasons, or they are right and everyone else is wrong and I will lose some money.
    When reweighed it follows he RCP trend almost exactly so it is good to follow for the trend. As long as you pay attention to why it thanks massive jumps have happened.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

And when they don't ? And when the IPCC, Ofsted and all 'three monkeys' alphabet soup regulators don't ? Rotherham Council (notice that no equivalent has been made into the South Yorkshire Police) which quickly exposed that it was in 'complete denial' and 'not fit for purpose': http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31130750
    If that is wide spread it will at least reduce the chances of Labour people being elected and provides opportunities for other parties to get elected and over turn this corrupt monopoly.
    You think most voters know (or care) where on the party spectrum their local council candidates lie? I have no idea if my Tory county councilor is a Leaver or Remainer, nor can I be bothered to try and find out.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Betting Post

F1: this won't count towards the weekend tally unless I add it to the pre-qualifying piece, but I've had an early bet on Vettel at 12, each way, for pole.

Pole's unlikely but he's a distance ahead of his team mate and, so far, Rosberg too. Just under 3/1 or so for him to be top 2 feels too long to me.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN.
    Both have been taking lessons from Tories I think. It is as crooked as a 3 bob bit. I am hoping "The Donald" triumphs but it shows how poor the supposed free world has fallen. Only thing that can save us us is Europe but it looks like we are chained to US and they are determined to become as mediocre and crooked as the UK.
    I live in probably the most liberal part of the US. Would love to see Trump elected just for the sheer exasperation
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited October 2016

Also WTF should voters expect their actions to change matters if local government is run by directives from Whitehall and has been since the early post-War years? Unlike most of rest of Europe.

To be fair, this has become an obstacle for any Government intent on devolving power. If a bad local administration is elected then too many voters are inclined to continue to blame the consequences on Westminster - either because they expect to be rescued, or because the hopeless local administration blames its failure to deliver on financial or regulatory problems created at the centre (regardless of whether or not this is actually true.)

Suppose you have party A in Government, and party B wins a powerful devolved mayoralty with its own health budget. If the hospitals controlled by the mayor go down the toilet, who gets the blame from the voters - party A, party B, or both? Answers on a postcard...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    This was written by Martin Kettle in Guardian before the email story broke yesterday:

"The Republican pollster Frank Luntz – whom Trump described on Twitter as “a total clown … a low-class slob” – said that if the campaign this autumn were about Trump, then Clinton would win; if it were about Clinton, then Trump could pull it off. Overwhelmingly, the campaign has proved to be about Trump. But that’s now about to change."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/27/hillary-clinton-will-win-what-kind-of-president-white-house-obama

Looks like the election just became about Clinton.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

That theory about Weiner doing an immunity deal in return for incriminating evidence on Clinton has legs to it IMO.

Extra legs.

Biden's reaction to mention of Weiner is priceless;
    m.youtube.com/watch?v=wAcO5TacXVU
    Well, he is quite unpleasant!
    Birds of a feather?

http://www.awdnews.com/political/caught-on-tape-scandalous-video-shows-vice-president-joe-biden-s-sexual-proposition-to-a-13-year-old-girl
    Ugh ..... that's really creepy and she doesn't even look 13. To think that a few months ago he was being considered as the Democratic nominee should Hillary be forced to step aside.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

And when they don't ? And when the IPCC, Ofsted and all 'three monkeys' alphabet soup regulators don't ? Rotherham Council (notice that no equivalent has been made into the South Yorkshire Police) which quickly exposed that it was in 'complete denial' and 'not fit for purpose': http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31130750
    You think most voters know (or care) where on the party spectrum their local council candidates lie? I have no idea if my Tory county councilor is a Leaver or Remainer, nor can I be bothered to try and find out.
    I am not referring to REMAIN or LEAVE.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That is democracy. to change matters.
    I am not referring to REMAIN or LEAVE.
    Yes I know - I was just using that by way of illustration.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Sean_F said:

Any one-party state provides opportunity for a corrupt monopoly. That’s Right or Left, or come to that Centre.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

What they should be doing is expanding regional airports and having direct travel from somewhere other than London.

That's a good idea, in theory. Provided that the airlines want it, of course.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/29/france-demands-that-britain-accept-nearly-1500-migrant-children/

Of course they should be rescued from France. For humanitarian reasons... can't imagine a worse fate :p
  • Options

malcolmg said:

What they should be doing is expanding regional airports and having direct travel from somewhere other than London.

Airlines love hub and spoke
  • Options

weejonnie said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

That theory about Weiner doing an immunity deal in return for incriminating evidence on Clinton has legs to it IMO.

Extra legs.

Biden's reaction to mention of Weiner is priceless;
    m.youtube.com/watch?v=wAcO5TacXVU
    Well, he is quite unpleasant!
    Birds of a feather?

http://www.awdnews.com/political/caught-on-tape-scandalous-video-shows-vice-president-joe-biden-s-sexual-proposition-to-a-13-year-old-girl
    Ugh ..... that's really creepy and she doesn't even look 13. To think that a few months ago he was being considered as the Democratic nominee should Hillary be forced to step aside.
    AWD news? What or who is this news service.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Legacy airlines do. Low cost carriers work on point to point.

Also, plenty of overseas airlines are more than happy to serve Manchester - both short haul and long haul - with more routes being lined up. Emirates can fill three A380s a day*, plus all of their flights from other UK regional airports.

*Third flight will be permanently 'up-gauged' in the new year.
  • Options

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Also, plenty of overseas airlines are more than happy to serve Manchester - both short haul and long haul - with more routes being lined up. Emirates can fill three A380s a day*, plus all of their flights from other UK regional airports.

Yeah, you have plenty more options if you want to travel to a hub.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

I can't find the tweet - but someone on Reddit has noticed Obama isn't attending some Hillary events now...

Amazing just how nuts the crowds go at Trump's rallies.. he just has to say the word "FBI" :D
    The whole thing beyond WTF. I thought the CIA makes fake movie to rescue Iranian diplomats plot in Argo was bizarre.

This whole campaign knocks it into a cocked hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w918Eh3fij0
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

This was written by Martin Kettle in Guardian before the email story broke yesterday:

"The Republican pollster Frank Luntz – whom Trump described on Twitter as “a total clown … a low-class slob” – said that if the campaign this autumn were about Trump, then Clinton would win; if it were about Clinton, then Trump could pull it off. Overwhelmingly, the campaign has proved to be about Trump. But that’s now about to change."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/27/hillary-clinton-will-win-what-kind-of-president-white-house-obama

I doubt however if at this stage it is enough to stop her being elected given the insane pileup that is Donald Trump's campaign, although world popcorn prices will spike if she is arrested partway through her victory speech.

What it could very easily do is boost the Republicans downticket, as the soft Hilary vote hedge their bets and/or gear up for impeachment if they're really suspicious. I think we should now dismiss thoughts of Democrats retaking the House, for instance.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN.
    Both have been taking lessons from Tories I think. It is as crooked as a 3 bob bit.
    Harsh Malcolm. Three bob bits are at least made of the right metal and have some intrinsic value.

Trump and Clinton on the other hand...
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Exactly. And the airlines haven't shown any signs of wanting a UK hub anywhere except London (just looking at the destination lists for the various regional airlines demonstrates this).

With the delays through the coalition, Brown's government and Blair's government, for much of the country the "UK hub" has by default become Amsterdam, as various PBers have noted from their personal experiences.

• Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN.
    I live in probably the most liberal part of the US. Would love to see Trump elected just for the sheer exasperation
    You still in California Rob, if so anywhere near Santa Clara. I lived there for a while in late eighties. Must go back sometime to see how it has changed. Was a great area to live in those days at least.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sean_F said:

If Clinton were found guilty of a felony after being elected as President, could she pardon herself?

:lol:

Giuliani helpfully listed all the laws he thinks she broke on Hannity - even discounting his partisanship - it's quite a list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVPpmGNtJws
  • Options

malcolmg said:

That would also free up lots of slots at Heathrow as it would mean less regional flights needed for onward travel. So best of both worlds.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I can't find the tweet - but someone on Reddit has noticed Obama isn't attending some Hillary events now...

Plato, did you not receive the PB memo that Clinton is nailed on for POTUS?
    :smile:
    This FBI bomb has amused me greatly. Where is 619? :wink:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,125
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN.
    Europe is about the face the Hofer, Wilders, Le Pen, Afd onslaught once the U.S. election is over
  • Options

Betting Post

F1: this won't count towards the weekend tally unless I add it to the pre-qualifying piece, but I've had an early bet on Vettel at 12, each way, for pole.

Pole's unlikely but he's a distance ahead of his team mate and, so far, Rosberg too. Just under 3/1 or so for him to be top 2 feels too long to me.

Morris - that looks like an OK kind of bet, although I dislike the concept of effectively wasting half my stake on the win element.
    Personally I prefer to bet against someone doing something very difficult, rather than betting on him doing it. In this instance, I'm laying Rosberg not to finish top three at odds of 1.33. I don't see him beating Hamilton and there are 3 or 4 other good drivers challenging for a podium in a situation where he'll be satisfied with a decent points finish. Plus, in the overall scheme of things, compared with his team mate for instance, he's due a fair dose of bad luck.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN.
    You still in California Rob, if so anywhere near Santa Clara. I lived there for a while in late eighties. Must go back sometime to see how it has changed. Was a great area to live in those days at least.
    Am in the Bay Area, so I think that is quite a ways away!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Lifetime achievements

Clinton
    Getting married to someone talented

Trump
    Being born into a rich family
    Clinton was a better lawyer than her husband and got better grades at law school, even if he was a better politician, Trump's father was a millionaire, he became a billionaire
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

No posts since the story broke...
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN.
    Santa Clara is in the Bay Area, in the South Bay. It's where the Niners now play...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I doubt however if at this stage it is enough to stop her being elected given the insane pileup that is Donald Trump's campaign, although world popcorn prices will spike if she is arrested partway through her victory speech.

What it could very easily do is boost the Republicans downticket, as the soft Hilary vote hedge their bets and/or gear up for impeachment if they're really suspicious. I think we should now dismiss thoughts of Democrats retaking the House, for instance.
    It could be enough for Trump to win the popular vote, maybe not the Electoral College
  • Options

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN.
    Santa Clara is in the Bay Area, in the South Bay. It's where the Niners now play...
    Shows how much I know! I'm on the East Bay! Much nicer down there though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Emirates offers Manchester to Australia with one stop. BA can only offer it with 2 stops. Clearly not a market they much care about.

And the low-costs don't have hubs - they just fly from multiple bases to even more other places on a point to point basis. BA gave up on direct flights from the UK regions to anywhere other than London years ago. If you need to go via a european hub to get to a short haul (or long haul) destination, BA have no differentiation over Air France-KLM or Lufthansa.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Emirates offers Manchester to Australia with one stop. BA can only offer it with 2 stops. Clearly not a market they much care about.

And the low-costs don't have hubs - they just fly from multiple bases to even more other places on a point to point basis. BA gave up on direct flights from the UK regions to anywhere other than London years ago. If you need to go via a european hub to get to a short haul (or long haul) destination, BA have no differentiation over Air France-KLM or Lufthansa.
    Probably because Emirates are sucking up all the business on that particular route. :p Fair point about low cost carriers though.
  • Options
    WaPo
    Clinton 47 – Trump 45 in new Post-ABC Tracking poll https://t.co/BDzdbF3x6P https://t.co/VVwDNYjuAY
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN.
    Rob , about 40 miles or so I reckon, we went into San Francisco often and was not a long journey. Used to love going to Half Moon Bay as well. So many places to go from there, Lake Tahoe , Yosemite , and right down coast to San Diego.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    edited October 2016
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

It could be enough for Trump to win the popular vote, maybe not the Electoral College
    That’d cause a Trumplosion!
  • Options
    Regated
    Image surfaces of Huma Abedin crying on plane as Clinton Campaign finds out the FBI has re-opened the email investigation. #HillarysEmails https://t.co/2yIUgiYOsV
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Still awaiting instructions, or maybe the trolls get the day off on Saturday?
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sunil060902/sandbox#The_Commonwealth_of_English-speaking_States_and_Territories
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Putney, hmm. Maybe. I think it likely the podium places will be a Mercedes/Ferrari affair, and Ferrari have a history of cocking things up, and Hamilton has worse reliability than Rosberg.

There's an off-chance Vettel could get the pole, but I'd prefer a top 2 bet.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Probably because Emirates are sucking up all the business on that particular route. :p Fair point about low cost carriers though.
    Emirates also cover Birmingham.

If flying via a hub rather than point to point, it matters little where that hub is situated, as long as it is efficient. I rather like KLM via Schipol, 4 flights a day from Birmingham.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Yes it would be 2000 on steroids
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    PlatoSaid said:

There was a guest on CNN speculating about Wiener doing a plea bargain/immunity from prosecution because he could be facing a 10 to 15 year stretch for allegedly sexting the 15 year old. The CNN host, Don Lemon seemed pissed off that anyone should suggest such a thing.

I'm really wondering if his wife is going under the bus despite being Hillary's best buddy. Weiner doesn't have much to lose now since they're estranged.

Megyn Kelly was a wonder to watch last night - she's incandescent, I could almost feel her thinking 'well that's my $70k donation wasted'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyGXhr90BPI
    Megyn Kelly is just the premier newsperson in the USA. She is spot on with this.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

RobD said:

RobD said:

weejonnie said:

Nate Silver's view

lol

It's PB.. we always need polling. :p
    I need some urgent reassurance on Clinton as my landslide predictions are looking very sickly after the FBI got involved again.
    Wait until results of early voting are released and analysed after this weekend- a crucial time for Dems now in swing states.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Still awaiting instructions, or maybe the trolls get the day off on Saturday?
    TBH, the online #HillBullies are most amusing - there's a few hundred of them and so obvious. After Scott Adams called them out along with a few other big names - they evaporated, and hiliariously Hillary then launched a policy to spend $500m on anti-bullying. :lol:

His blog on this is most entertaining. http://blog.dilbert.com/post/152117093416/how-to-insult-me-on-twitter

and

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/152293480726/the-bully-party

"I’ve been trying to figure out what common trait binds Clinton supporters together. As far as I can tell, the most unifying characteristic is a willingness to bully in all its forms.

If you have a Trump sign in your lawn, they will steal it.

If you have a Trump bumper sticker, they will deface your car.

if you speak of Trump at work you could get fired.

On social media, almost every message I get from a Clinton supporter is a bullying type of message. They insult. They try to shame. They label. And obviously they threaten my livelihood.

We know from Project Veritas that Clinton supporters tried to incite violence at Trump rallies. The media downplays it.

We also know Clinton’s side hired paid trolls to bully online. You don’t hear much about that.

Yesterday, by no coincidence, Huffington Post, Salon, and Daily Kos all published similar-sounding hit pieces on me, presumably to lower my influence. (That reason, plus jealousy, are the only reasons writers write about other writers.)

Read More »
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

WaPo
    Clinton 47 – Trump 45 in new Post-ABC Tracking poll https://t.co/BDzdbF3x6P https://t.co/VVwDNYjuAY

That before the latest emailgate revelations. Trump has a 16% lead amongst whites, closing in on Romney's 20% lead in 2012, while Hillary leads by 51% amongst non whites, down on Obama's 61% lead
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Regated
    Image surfaces of Huma Abedin crying on plane as Clinton Campaign finds out the FBI has re-opened the email investigation. #HillarysEmails https://t.co/2yIUgiYOsV

How does that square with the story that they didn't find out about it until after the plane landed?
  • Options

I live near Maidenhead but rarely go there. The town centre is utterly soulless; I get the impression the whole lot was ripped up around 1987 and 'redeveloped'.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Regated

How does that square with the story that they didn't find out about it until after the plane landed?
    I think they had a brief bit of wifi during the flight.
  • Options
    Jared Wyand
    Here's a list of States that will allow early voters to change their early vote following the reopening of the FBI probe.

#HillarysEmails https://t.co/ggPZDmgBNw
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Can we have the end of Veep come true? A tie in the electoral college. THAT way neither of them becomes President and Congress can elect someone who isn't repulsive.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Exactly. And the airlines haven't shown any signs of wanting a UK hub anywhere except London (just looking at the destination lists for the various regional airlines demonstrates this).

With the delays through the coalition, Brown's government and Blair's government, for much of the country the "UK hub" has by default become Amsterdam, as various PBers have noted from their personal experiences.

An international transit passenger spends next to bugger all in the UK, maybe the price of a cup of coffee. It is true that someone has to be employed to shift their bags between aeroplanes and that by operating as a hub there maybe more destinations available from the airport than otherwise would be the case, that is to say more flights and more landing fees. However does that justify the full costs of expanding Heathrow?

Why not let Schipol become the hub? It is becoming the de facto hub now and by the time Heathrow 3 has been built will have embedded itself in that position. Does it make sense at this point in time to try and compete, especially when there will be no return on investment just added costs (the the airlines, the exchequer and to the wider economy) for decades to come.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Regated

Good point. No doubt Ms Abedin is just a tad upset having discovered her boss is a criminal and her husband a peado?
  • Options
    That list cited by Guliani

FBI Reopens Clinton Probe
    Hannity:Giuliani listed 16Fed.Laws violated by H.Clinton https://t.co/acersy6znx
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Jared Wyand
    Here's a list of States that will allow early voters to change their early vote following the reopening of the FBI probe.

Very surprised by that decision quite honestly – must be an administrative nightmare…
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Can we have the end of Veep come true? A tie in the electoral college. THAT way neither of them becomes President and Congress can elect someone who isn't repulsive.
    If Trump won Nevada and New Hampshire but Hillary won Pennsylvania yes
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Jared Wyand

Very surprised by that decision quite honestly – must be an administrative nightmare…
    I saw a tweet with a graphic of Google searches asking about 'change my vote' - it hit 100.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

The House can only pick from the top 3 ECV-getters. So a 269-269 tie, they'd have to pick one or other. If there's no majority and McMullin has won Utah, they could pick him, but nobody else.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Regated

I think they had a brief bit of wifi during the flight.
    The most delicious thing about it is that Annie Leibovitz was on the plane doing a photoshoot with Hillary.
  • Options

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

An international transit passenger spends next to bugger all in the UK, maybe the price of a cup of coffee. It is true that someone has to be employed to shift their bags between aeroplanes and that by operating as a hub there maybe more destinations available from the airport than otherwise would be the case, that is to say more flights and more landing fees. However does that justify the full costs of expanding Heathrow?

Why not let Schipol become the hub? It is becoming the de facto hub now and by the time Heathrow 3 has been built will have embedded itself in that position. Does it make sense at this point in time to try and compete, especially when there will be no return on investment just added costs (the the airlines, the exchequer and to the wider economy) for decades to come.
    Heathrow is only a hub for BA - and they already have more slots than they know what to do with. For just about every other airline it is a spoke - they predominantly fly passengers for whom LHR is their final destination. They could just as easily drop them in another London airport, but credit to LHR's marketing department, the world appears to think that LHR is the only classy option if flying to London.

Expansion of Gatwick, with free allocation of all of the extra slots, would allow new airlines to serve London with minimal start-up cost and could even facilitate the establishment of a mini-hub for Star or Skyteam.

The rest of the UK will carry on routing via Amsterdam, Paris and the Middle East however many runways get built at LHR.
  • Options

I live near Maidenhead but rarely go there. The town centre is utterly soulless; I get the impression the whole lot was ripped up around 1987 and 'redeveloped'.
    Um, I visited the train station back in 2011, when I did the Marlow Branch. Interesting statues on the main platforms.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Jared Wyand

WTF!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Surely the business we get from this is not the cup of coffee but the fact that planes are landing here, taking off here, being supplied and maintained here and the staff are based here. There is a lot of business and jobs attracted to hub airports and we have been losing out.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

WaPo

That before the latest emailgate revelations. Trump has a 16% lead amongst whites, closing in on Romney's 20% lead in 2012, while Hillary leads by 51% amongst non whites, down on Obama's 61% lead
    I think the assumption that every Democrat is voting for Hillary is bizarre. There's Stein and Johnson as Bernie surrogates and straight swaps to Trump.

Ditto the AA vote, I'm very sceptical about it all. Hence viewing polling as pretty meh. The samples are terrible too.
  • Options

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

No matter what they do with Heathrow I would still rather use Schipol as my hub
    It is a million times better arranged as an airport and miles easier to get to than Heathrow for anyone south of Newcastle on the east side of the country. Heathrow was a deeply stupid choice and we should have seen far greater expansion of one of the Midlands or North West airports.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127

PlatoSaid said:

Jared Wyand

The systems are designed so the votes can be changed. How else could they rig it? :)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Do you know much about Kaine? I've no idea. Pence is an excellent VP pick and core GOP.
  • Options
    Great headline in Boston Herald:

Huma hubby throws Hillary Clinton campaign into 'danger zone'
This discussion has been closed.