Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After decades we should be getting the Heathrow expansion deci

Comments

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Andy Burnham.....Jeremy Corbyn......who next? Does anyone know Ken's thoughts on Hitler's view of Brexit? If not, I'm sure Faisal Islam will ask.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

ToryJim said:

wee Mrs McTurnip plays a blinder

firstly by pissing off her biggest trading partner and then by insisting the EU will also want a Wallonia on our side of the fence

This should be good:

we will bring forward specific proposals over the next few weeks which would keep Scotland in the single market even if the rest of the UK leaves.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/oct/24/theresa-may-hosts-brexit-summit-for-scottish-welsh-and-northern-irish-governments-politics-live
    Not sure that is constitutionally possible.
    Not in a United Kingdom - wee Mrs McTurnip is nothing if not transparent....
    The penny drops
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Big news of the day seems to be an episode of Poldark apparently.

It was quite shocking. Not only was the great hero, Ross Poldark, unfaithful to the lovely Demelza, he possibly did it with a rape, or something close.

I'd call that brave scriptwriting. Or suicidal. Next Sunday's viewing figures will reveal....

I think that is just staying true to the 1970's series and earlier books.

Quite possibly historical accuracy too.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

ToryJim said:

wee Mrs McTurnip plays a blinder

firstly by pissing off her biggest trading partner and then by insisting the EU will also want a Wallonia on our side of the fence

This should be good:

we will bring forward specific proposals over the next few weeks which would keep Scotland in the single market even if the rest of the UK leaves.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/oct/24/theresa-may-hosts-brexit-summit-for-scottish-welsh-and-northern-irish-governments-politics-live
    Not sure that is constitutionally possible.
    Not in a United Kingdom - wee Mrs McTurnip is nothing if not transparent....
    WE will see how tough Cruella is when EU knock seven shades of you know what out of her and she gets a second one at home.

Likely to be complete Tory surrender as usual, back waving piece of paper, paying in more money , freedom of movement intact and UK allowed to decide road signs.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Steve Bousquet of "The Tampa Bay Times" reports Florida Republican Gov. Rick Scott failure to stop the extension of voter registration after Hurricane Matthew resulted in 108,000 new names to the roll.

Obama won Florida in 12 by just under 75,000.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/surge-of-post-hurricane-matthew-voters-breaks-100000-mark/2299780
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

@faisalislam 2m2 minutes ago
    Edward Leigh just asked if it was the PM's end strategy that UK should have a free trade area with the EU - she said yes...

It's gonna be EFTA, but maybe with a different name.

Free European Trade Area. Feta?
    Will it come down to a choice between hard and soft cheese?

How about BRIE - British Regional Import/Export area.
    Britain could continue full participation in EDAM - European Deals And Machinations.
    Only if it is a hard Brexit ... ;)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Until the headbangers start whining. Expect the tone at PMQs to be HARDER...''

Its a softish hard Brexit, or a hard Brexit with distinctly soft characteristics.

''Amber, take a look at the Daily Mail today and let me know which way the wind is blowing''
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited October 2016

It'd be funny if, after a tortuous and forensic inquiry, the government were to choose something other than H3.
    It'd be hilarious if they chose Boris Island. But the inquiry involved experts, and we all know how we're supposed to feel about experts now ...

Howard Davies did advocate the Euro....... Now he advocates Heathrow. Is Davies an expert on either matter?
    Have you seen his article in today's Telegraph. If that article is indicative of the fellow's depth of thought I seriously question his fitness to be called an expert on anything and God only knows how he achieved a senior position in any organisation.
    I note your advice and re-read. Mr Davies stated. "Indeed some have argued that the government should allow both Heathrow and Gatwick to expand. That would be a mistake. Allowing two proposals to continue could mean neither is built, as it would be impossible to argue that both runways could be fully used in the next twenty years while meeting our legislated climate change commitments. So the decision could be challenged in the courts."

Clearly Mr Davies does not understand the concept of competition and creating spare capacity and that by allowing two proposals to continue if one falters for a planning or financial problem etc the other can power ahead. Has Gatwick argued that it should be just one choice?

A very statist proposal from Mr Davies with fits in with his past endeavours.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    619 said:

taffys said:

JackW said:

Ben Shreckinger of "Politico" looks at Trump's narrow win options as the clock runs down :

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/clinton-trump-election-countdown-polls-230212

Every article I read on Trump is so harshly dismissive of him and his movement, its impossible to see how the chasms created by the this election can ever be breached.

There is no attempt whatsoever to understand this phenomenon, what lies behind it and what it might take to bring the millions that will vote for him back onside.

THose that do back Trump can expect no quarter from Hillary, if she wins.
    A) I thought you weren't going to comment?

B) We should be dismissive of racist crazy people like trump who boast about sexual assault

C) 'No Quarter'? Don't be silly. She isn't a vindictive person, unlike 'Texting at 3AM' Trump
    But not of the millions who support him.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I was expecting a bit if a whitewash, and it was. The book was written in a different time, where what is depicted - and it is not 100% clear - would not have been seen as rape by many people. But it is vital point in the books: it increases animosity between the various lead characters. I'm not sure this version will have quite the same effect.

Interestingly, the 1970s series is much more faithful to the book.

I have little time for Winston Graham's son's argument: his father also wrote a very dubious scene in Marnie that might not withstand modern views. (An excellent book, BTW, made by Hitchcock into a terrible film).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37749637
    The actors refused to do it as planned and had it watered down.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,092
    taffys said:

''Until the headbangers start whining. Expect the tone at PMQs to be HARDER...''

Its a softish hard Brexit, or a hard Brexit with distinctly soft characteristics.

''Amber, take a look at the Daily Mail today and let me know which way the wind is blowing''

If you keep cooking a hard boiled egg it eventually explodes and deposits a foul mess everywhere.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

I was expecting a bit if a whitewash, and it was. The book was written in a different time, where what is depicted - and it is not 100% clear - would not have been seen as rape by many people. But it is vital point in the books: it increases animosity between the various lead characters. I'm not sure this version will have quite the same effect.

Interestingly, the 1970s series is much more faithful to the book.

I have little time for Winston Graham's son's argument: his father also wrote a very dubious scene in Marnie that might not withstand modern views. (An excellent book, BTW, made by Hitchcock into a terrible film).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37749637
    The actors refused to do it as planned and had it watered down.
    I wouldn't be surprised at that.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

It was quite shocking. Not only was the great hero, Ross Poldark, unfaithful to the lovely Demelza, he possibly did it with a rape, or something close.

I'd call that brave scriptwriting. Or suicidal. Next Sunday's viewing figures will reveal....

My (admittedly fuzzy) recollection from the original series what that it was in a 'droit de seigneur' context. Was that the case this time too?

Of course, that sort of thing is unacceptable now, but I am not sure I agree that actors should re-write either history or historical fiction (or indeed art) just to conform with today's mores. Part of knowing who we are (and the progress we have made as a society) is knowing what we were.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I had considered a cheese-themed Brexit analysis.

I came to the conclusion that the government's position was either Stilton (blue-veined and crumbly to the touch) or Emmental (hard, Swiss in origin and full of holes).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

I was very surprised when I re-read The Three Musketeers a couple of years ago, to discover that D'Artganan is a rapist. That section was completely censored from the version that I read in my school library.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

My (admittedly fuzzy) recollection from the original series what that it was in a 'droit de seigneur' context. Was that the case this time too?

Of course, that sort of thing is unacceptable now, but I am not sure I agree that actors should re-write either history or historical fiction (or indeed art) just to conform with today's mores. Part of knowing who we are (and the progress we have made as a society) is knowing what we were.
    Rape is enormously popular in historical romantic fiction.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Mr. T, revisionism is bullshit. Imposing modern norms on old or ancient works is bastardising history.
  • Options
    North Carolina - PPP - Sample 875 - 21-23 Oct

Clinton 49 .. Trump 46

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_NC_102416.pdf
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

It's much less explicitly rape than what happens in the book or, in fact, the original series (well worth watching, and as least as good as the current series. Also worth watching for the much-missed Angharad Rees).

Marnie features full-on rape, even if only in a modern context and under somewhat unusual circumstances. So Winston Graham knew what he was doing.

I've read the books many times, and from what I remember the Poldark-Elizabeth scene is very well written in a way that leaves what happens in some doubt, at least by the mores of the time. It's also vital for future plotlines.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,092
    Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

That's the post-election rationalisation sorted. It was '50 states of Trump' that swung it.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited October 2016

Mr. T, revisionism is bullshit. Imposing modern norms on old or ancient works is bastardising history.

Wed better get rid of Shakespeare's histories then.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I came to the conclusion that the government's position was either Stilton (blue-veined and crumbly to the touch) or Emmental (hard, Swiss in origin and full of holes).

Very good. Surprised you did not come up with raclette - hard but melts into a sticky mess under heat.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, did Shakespeare rewrite Caesar's Gallic Wars to suit Elizabethan sensibilities?

Shakespeare wrote his own stuff [or with Marlowe, as you like it]. He didn't bugger up Thucydides because 16th century Londoners didn't like the way the Peloponnesian War was going.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Do you mean by that fiction written some time ago, or recently-written fiction about historical periods?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
    @DanHodges: Tory poll average rises to 12 points - highest this parliament - as Theresa May's post-conference implosion continues...
  • Options
    MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

(Snip)
    No. She's been married before, to Poldark's now-deceased cousin, and has a son. She is about to marry his great enemy Warleggan. My view is that the rape is Poldark's way of getting vengeance on Warleggan before the wedding; it is a power over her and Warleggan. In fact, it's more of a power than he realises (will not say more for spoilers).

Although it's made more complex in the books and series by the fact they were once betrothed to each other before her first marriage, and still hold a fondness for each other.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914
    Finally we might actually get a decision on Heathrow, but unfortunately this is just the start of the process of planning, enquiries and appeals before a spade goes near the ground. We need to just get on with it, starting yesterday.
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, did Shakespeare rewrite Caesar's Gallic Wars to suit Elizabethan sensibilities?

Shakespeare wrote his own stuff [or with Marlowe, as you like it]. He didn't bugger up Thucydides because 16th century Londoners didn't like the way the Peloponnesian War was going.

Of course Shakespeare (re)wrote history to suit his audience's tastes.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Because, of course, women fantasize about forced and submissive sex endlessly, though the Guardianista feminists would deny this til they die. The handsome dominant man who roughly takes what he wants, from the faintly resisting but secretly excited woman, is a huge turn-on.

Fifty Shades of Grey sold 100m copies. ONE HUNDRED MILLION.
    Have to say my gf was quite titillated watching the scene. :wink:
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    JackW said:

Clinton 49 .. Trump 46

Trump needs NC. I don't think he has led in any polls there since the Convention...
  • Options
    @MTimT In the end I abandoned the idea quite early through lack of time and because it was ultimately too frivolous. One compensation of having very limited time is that I have to make sure that my thread headers actually say the thing I most think worth saying at the time, because otherwise good ideas will go beyond their post-by date.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    MTimT said:

Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Do you mean by that fiction written some time ago, or recently-written fiction about historical periods?
    Recently-written fiction about historical periods. Older fiction would either ignore the subject, or refer to it obliquely unless dealing with much older periods (at least in English-speaking countries, where censorship was stringent. Hence, my bowdlerised version of the Three Musketeers) .
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: No 10 confirm there will be no vote on Theresa May's Brexit debates
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2016
    For the Maymoaners: WTF do you expect her to do?

a) Rule no.1 of negotiation is not to show your hand.
    b) If rule no.1 is violated and May lists her demands, every Eurocrat from here to Bucharest will say "absolutely no chance they're going to get that" while simultaneously refusing to engage with UK until A50 invoked
    c) Currency and markets tank some more; Sturgeon sticks her crowbar in the machine every 15 minutes; Corbyn looks slightly less of a joke
    d) Months pass, in which political and economic chaos in UK worsens
    e) A50 invoked, negotiations start on back foot
    f) Worse result for UK ensues; whole world laughs at the UK
    g) Civil war in which Scotland turned into radioactive wasteland. Tourism improves.

Brilliant. Just f*cking brilliant.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,829

@DanHodges: Tory poll average rises to 12 points - highest this parliament - as Theresa May's post-conference implosion continues...

LOL! Quite entertaining reading all the posts (and Scott's frantic shares of Faisal's frantic tweets) telling us how appalling everything is for TM and the government...

While their poll rise show's no sign of stopping... :smiley:
  • Options
    PPP: Among early voters in N.C., "63% say they cast their ballots for Hillary Clinton to only 37% for Donald Trump" https://t.co/HWJGyrXRMY
  • Options

619 said:

taffys said:

JackW said:

Ben Shreckinger of "Politico" looks at Trump's narrow win options as the clock runs down :

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/clinton-trump-election-countdown-polls-230212

Every article I read on Trump is so harshly dismissive of him and his movement, its impossible to see how the chasms created by the this election can ever be breached.

There is no attempt whatsoever to understand this phenomenon, what lies behind it and what it might take to bring the millions that will vote for him back onside.

B) We should be dismissive of racist crazy people like trump who boast about sexual assault

C) 'No Quarter'? Don't be silly. She isn't a vindictive person, unlike 'Texting at 3AM' Trump
    Well, can we tell david duke to fuck off?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Very good. Surprised you did not come up with raclette - hard but melts into a sticky mess under heat.
    White Stilton with Cranberries:

From the East of England, with some novelty value, but disappointing and full of purple fruits.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    GIN1138 said:

LOL! Quite entertaining reading all the posts (and Scott's frantic shares of Faisal's frantic tweets) telling us how appalling everything is for TM and the government...

As noted this morning, the crowds are whooping and cheering as the Emperor passes...

• Options

It'd be funny if, after a tortuous and forensic inquiry, the government were to choose something other than H3.
    It'd be hilarious if they chose Boris Island. But the inquiry involved experts, and we all know how we're supposed to feel about experts now ...

Howard Davies did advocate the Euro....... Now he advocates Heathrow. Is Davies an expert on either matter?
    Have you seen his article in today's Telegraph. If that article is indicative of the fellow's depth of thought I seriously question his fitness to be called an expert on anything and God only knows how he achieved a senior position in any organisation.
    I note your advice and re-read. Mr Davies stated. "Indeed some have argued that the government should allow both Heathrow and Gatwick to expand. That would be a mistake. Allowing two proposals to continue could mean neither is built, as it would be impossible to argue that both runways could be fully used in the next twenty years while meeting our legislated climate change commitments. So the decision could be challenged in the courts."

Clearly Mr Davies does not understand the concept of competition and creating spare capacity and that by allowing two proposals to continue if one falters for a planning or financial problem etc the other can power ahead. Has Gatwick argued that it should be just one choice?

A very statist proposal from Mr Davies with fits in with his past endeavours.
    Your point would have merit if (1) it was a taxpayer funded project where such a strategic approach could be taken whatever the local economics, and (2) it was not illegal under current environmental legislation.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Because, of course, a lot of women fantasize about forced and submissive sex endlessly, though the Guardianista feminists would deny this til they die. The handsome dominant man who roughly takes what he wants, from the faintly resisting but secretly excited woman, is a huge turn-on.

Books like Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty Trilogy (in which the heroine is forced into sexual slavery and abused by a succession of men and women) Diane Gabaldon's Highlander series (in which the hero rapes the heroine, and is raped in turn by an evil English officer) and Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel novels (where the heroine is a kind of high priestess of BDSM) have sold tens of millions of copies.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Possibly of some use as reference.

Via: https://bankunderground.co.uk/2016/10/18/bitesize-mapping-the-uks-trade/

"The two images below are based on import and export data for the UK’s top 25 trading partners for the first five months of 2016. The bigger the country appears on the map, the more of the UK’s exports (imports) they account for. Countries outside the top 25 are shaded grey."

Exports

Imports

Obviously we'd like to boost opportunities in less habitual areas, but it's a good starter to highlight where we'll need our initial agreements

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024

On free trade: any deal requires EU agreement (probably QMV). The EU will want us to have a worse deal, so there may well be strings attached. Particularly depends on whether nation-states have the whip hand, or the bureaucracy of Brussels. The former would be more helpful to us.

To be honest, money is likely to be the balancing factor.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,829
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

As noted this morning, the crowds are whooping and cheering as the Emperor passes...

No, most people are just getting on with their lives and waiting for TM and the government to invoke A50 in March.

Cheer up. Two months today it's Christmas Eve! :smiley:
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The country has tuned out. They had enough of 'politics' in the past year - a General Election and a referendum - in both cases they gave clear answers and its up to the politicians to get on with the job......that Mrs May seems a sensible sort....lets see how she does, as for that old socialist running labour......
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

I was very surprised when I re-read The Three Musketeers a couple of years ago, to discover that D'Artganan is a rapist. That section was completely censored from the version that I read in my school library.
    The three musketeers is a very strange book in many ways.
  • Options
    619 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 49 .. Trump 46

Trump needs NC. I don't think he has led in any polls there since the Convention...
    The early voting numbers in the poll are also encouraging for Clinton.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Anorak said:

b) If rule no.1 is violated and May lists her demands, every Eurocrat from here to Bucharest will say "absolutely no chance they're going to get that" while simultaneously refusing to engage with UK until A50 invoked
    c) Currency and markets tank some more; Sturgeon sticks her crowbar in the machine every 15 minutes; Corbyn looks slightly less of a joke
    g) Civil war in which Scotland turned into radioactive wasteland. Tourism improves.

Re a and b and rule 1 -- How does negotiation work if neither party tells the other what it wants?

Might I recommend a good book on the subject -- The Art of the Deal, by Donald J Trump.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    JackW said:

Steve Bousquet of "The Tampa Bay Times" reports Florida Republican Gov. Rick Scott failure to stop the extension of voter registration after Hurricane Matthew resulted in 108,000 new names to the roll.

Obama won Florida in 12 by just under 75,000.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/surge-of-post-hurricane-matthew-voters-breaks-100000-mark/2299780

Wow. I hope Rubio has a strong ground game for his sake, although the dnc pulled out as the polls tightened.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Anorak said:

Re a and b and rule 1 -- How does negotiation work if neither party tells the other what it wants?

Might I recommend a good book on the subject -- The Art of the Deal, by Donald J Trump.
    I assume you're being obtuse, because "showing your hand" is a long way from laying your cards down one at a time, at the appropriate time.

If not, I'd very much like to invite you to a poker game.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

I assume your being obtuse, because "showing your hand" is a long way from laying your cards down one at a time, at the appropriate time.

You list your demands. What you do not do is list your fallback position.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

I always think of Dogtanian from the CBBC version I watched as a kid. Quite enjoyed that series.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Because, of course, a lot of women fantasize about forced and submissive sex endlessly, though the Guardianista feminists would deny this til they die. The handsome dominant man who roughly takes what he wants, from the faintly resisting but secretly excited woman, is a huge turn-on.

Not read it, but isn't the central point about 50 Shades of Grey that it's entirely consensual?

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Jonathan said:

Of course Shakespeare (re)wrote history to suit his audience's tastes.
    Of course he did put the spin on history that his clients wanted. Shakespeare was the biggest Tudor propagandist going (at least that we know about). He was also, along with the Victorian sentimentalists, the biggest provider of myths that have become accepted in British society.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

I always think of Dogtanian from the CBBC version I watched as a kid. Quite enjoyed that series.
    They skip the bit in the book where the Musketeers act as gigolos from the cartoon.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

I assume your being obtuse, because "showing your hand" is a long way from laying your cards down one at a time, at the appropriate time.

In a rational negotiation, perhaps, but only at an appropriate time of your choosing.

A list of demands submitted into an intensely political and irrational negotiation, months ahead of time, is borderline suicidal. Unfortunately for all concerned "intensely political and irrational" will characterise the brexit talks from start to finish.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Books like Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty Trilogy (in which the heroine is forced into sexual slavery and abused by a succession of men and women) Diane Gabaldon's Highlander series (in which the hero rapes the heroine, and is raped in turn by an evil English officer) and Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel novels (where the heroine is a kind of high priestess of BDSM) have sold tens of millions of copies.
    I think "consensual rape" - if we can call it that (and many do) - is popular with quite a few women for two reasons.

1. It means they don't need to feel shame or regard themselves as sluts for having wanted sex, the choice was taken from them. Though of course they did want sex, secretly.

2. It means the women is SO irresistible a handsome alpha male (and it's always an alpha male, never a wimp) was literally unable to control himself in her presence. A massive turn-on.

The reality and the fantasy are very different though, just as the nymphomanic happy hooker is from the trafficked and abused teenager. We read novels of murders, robbers and torture too. The problem come when those who cannot distinguish between fantasy and reality start behaving like fictional characters.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, writing new works and altering existing works are fundamentally different things.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

I think "consensual rape" - if we can call it that (and many do) - is popular with quite a few women for two reasons.

1. It means they don't need to feel shame or regard themselves as sluts for having wanted sex, the choice was taken from them. Though of course they did want sex, secretly.

2. It means the women is SO irresistible a handsome alpha male (and it's always an alpha male, never a wimp) was literally unable to control himself in her presence. A massive turn-on.

And, so many such books are written by women, for a mainly female readership.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Not read it, but isn't the central point about 50 Shades of Grey that it's entirely consensual?

No. Famously the line is blurred several times. And blurring is being generous to Mr Gray.

Fair enough. As any normal man would do, I refused my wife permission to buy the book when she requested it.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Mr. P, no. It isn't.

Corbyn was a disaster a year ago. He is a disaster now. In a year, he will still be a disaster.

It's nice to have some certainty in British politics right now....
  • Options
    JackW said:

619 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 49 .. Trump 46

How can they be allowed to poll those already voted?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

taffys said:

If you keep cooking a hard boiled egg it eventually explodes and deposits a foul mess everywhere.
    Really? The worst I've ever experienced, even when the saucepan has boiled completely dry, is a small black mark on the white of the egg.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Back in my day they even censored Shakespeare in books for schools. The entire scene with the porter did not appear in the version of the Scottish Play that my school issued.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    The God awful DIane Abbott's voice and responce in the commons on child refugees.

Labour really are in trouble if this is the best for this very important position in politics.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    619 said:

619 said:

taffys said:

JackW said:

Well, can we tell david duke to fuck off?
    By all means tell anyone to fuck off, but basing your campaign on how ghastly some people are seems like a dangerous move to me.
  • Options
    nunu said:

JackW said:

619 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 49 .. Trump 46

why not? exit polls are allowed after all.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, that's a good scene.

Wine both provoketh and unprovoketh, for it provoketh the desire and unprovoketh the performance [or suchlike].
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

What always puzzled me is why people called musketeers only ever seemed to fight with swords.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    nunu said:

JackW said:

619 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 49 .. Trump 46

Rules are alot looser in the USA about reporting in/of polls than they are here.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

No. Famously the line is blurred several times. And blurring is being generous to Mr Gray.

Fair enough. As any normal man would do, I refused my wife permission to buy the book when she requested it.

I would hope you gave her a sound, over-the-knee spanking for even thinking of buying it.
    :D
  • Options
    The unmissable Election Data analyses UKIP's local by-election performance:

http://election-data.co.uk/ukip-the-local-by-election-evidence
  • Options
    Chris said:

taffys said:

Really? The worst I've ever experienced, even when the saucepan has boiled completely dry, is a small black mark on the white of the egg.
    You clearly have not had the joy of trashing a friends microwave by putting in six eggs during a house party.

Happy days...

[As CDs are practically dead and gone these days, you can also entertain the children by fixing one vertically on some blutac, then microwaving it. The coruscation of sparks across the surface is pretty cool. Ventilated area recommended. Also google microwaving grapes and plasma. Umm, I think I need to get out a bit more.]
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005
    SeanT said:

Something for the Brexiteers. The idea of a London banking exodus is nuts. 10,000 will leave, not 75,000

10,000 is nothing, and could be made up in a couple of years by more biz ex-EU

http://www.politico.eu/newsletter/morning-exchange/politico-morning-exchange-presented-by-ge-brexit-bluff-citys-faux-pas-money-for-nothing/

Didn't the telegraph over the weekend have an article that basically said only London has the banking infrastructure banks want and need.

I'm sure some people will move to Frankfurt and Paris. those people who are not as required as they believe they are will be given the opportunity to further their career in a European backwater while being led to believe its a great promotion.

And London as a whole will continue as before with little bits of work down elsewhere.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    619 said:
    It's disturbing to read some of the stuff Scott Adams is coming out with now:
    "Democrats generally use guns to commit crimes. Republican use guns for sport and for self-defense."

Is it meant to be funny, or what?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    619 said:

nunu said:

JackW said:

619 said:

JackW said:

Clinton 49 .. Trump 46

why not? exit polls are allowed after all.
    Exit polls cannot be released until voting has ended in a given state. The early voters data is based on whether the voters concerned are registered Democrats or Republicans.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Interestingly, that politico story downthead echoes the views I heard from that ultra-rich birthday party I went to. The Brexiteering financiers and billionaires reckoned the banks were bluffing: "no one wants to live in Frankfurt, or even Paris. Most will stay."

Hmm.

The banker I talked to suggested his firm was looking at setting up in Barcelona, as one of the few sensible places where a London financier would happily relocate to.
  • Options
    That is some exceptionally shy Trumpers in NC.
  • Options
    Chris said:

619 said:
    "Democrats generally use guns to commit crimes. Republican use guns for sport and for self-defense."

He lost the plot a while ago. The stuff he spouted about Proposition 8(?) was eyebrow-raising to say the least.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Interestingly, that politico story downthead echoes the views I heard from that ultra-rich birthday party I went to. The Brexiteering financiers and billionaires reckoned the banks were bluffing: "no one wants to live in Frankfurt, or even Paris. Most will stay."

Hmm.

The banker I talked to suggested his firm was looking at setting up in Barcelona, as one of the few sensible places where a London financier would happily relocate to.

"looking at" <> any chance of moving at all

• Options
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ElectProject/status/790593379750912000/photo/1

Wow if the AA vote continues like that he is surely screwed.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Back in my day they even censored Shakespeare in books for schools. The entire scene with the porter did not appear in the version of the Scottish Play that my school issued.
    Mary Whitehouse was campaigning for the Miller's Tale to be removed from school curricula when I was a lad.
  • Options
    Chris said:

619 said:

It's meant to cause a reaction that Adams can then belittle you for having as he didn't really say the thing you are accusing him of saying.

See also all his previous posts for examples.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360
    eek said:

SeanT said:

Something for the Brexiteers. The idea of a London banking exodus is nuts. 10,000 will leave, not 75,000

10,000 is nothing, and could be made up in a couple of years by more biz ex-EU

http://www.politico.eu/newsletter/morning-exchange/politico-morning-exchange-presented-by-ge-brexit-bluff-citys-faux-pas-money-for-nothing/

And London as a whole will continue as before with little bits of work down elsewhere.
    Such as their entire regulatory structure.
  • Options

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Hmm.

From the conversation, I'd guess it was way more than evens that there'd be a move of some sort (80%+ chance as a guess). The proportion of staff was entirely dependent on what happened to passporting.
  • Options
    Miss JGP, reloading times in that era were horrendous, so you'd probably get off just the one shot then use your sword.

Good afternoon.

Mr. Anorak, doesn't that create cyanide?

Mr. Anorak(2), Barcelona was founded by Hannibal's father, Hamilcar [it's contested, but a nice idea].
  • Options
    Alistair said:

That is some exceptionally shy Trumpers in NC.

Trump voters must be the least shy voters in history. More brash than shy.
  • Options

Mr. Llama, that's a good scene.

Wine both provoketh and unprovoketh, for it provoketh the desire and unprovoketh the performance [or suchlike].

Wise words.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Hmm.

I have to say any banker looking to set up in a separatist region needs to get their head examined.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I have to say any banker looking to set up in a separatist region needs to get their head examined. ''

Should Scotland's bankers be nervous?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Hmm.

I'm sure some will go but if we are nimble in our flexible, post-EU future, we will be able to attract others. e.g. official euro clearing will surely shift to the EU (tho this was likely long term, anyway); at the same time we will be able to strike down some of the anti-biz EU laws (bonuses anyone?) making London more alluring.

They won't go to Barcelona. Dublin is the most likely candidate.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,749
    Anorak said:

In a rational negotiation, perhaps, but only at an appropriate time of your choosing.

A list of demands submitted into an intensely political and irrational negotiation, months ahead of time, is borderline suicidal. Unfortunately for all concerned "intensely political and irrational" will characterise the brexit talks from start to finish.
    It doesn't work like a poker game because politics is about buying off interests. Theresa May talks tough on Brexit, not to gain negotiating power, but to pander to her party interest groups. May's supposed Best Alternative to Negotiated Agreement (BATNA) is Hard Brexit and isn't a Best Alternative at all. The EU's BATNA is a Hard Brexit that doesn't damage their own special interests too much. I don't think the EU side is inherently more sensible than our lot, but they are sitting pretty on this negotiation, while May deals with the contradictions of her negotiating positions.

• Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Hmm.

From the conversation, I'd guess it was way more than evens that there'd be a move of some sort (80%+ chance as a guess). The proportion of staff was entirely dependent on what happened to passporting.
    The passporting regime is more like passporting regimes. Some haven't come in yet.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mary Whitehouse was campaigning for the Miller's Tale to be removed from school curricula when I was a lad.

To be fair, she had a point.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

To be fair, she had a point.
    So did the Miller.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Miss JGP, reloading times in that era were horrendous, so you'd probably get off just the one shot then use your sword.

(snipped)

Thank you, that is fascinating. Muskets were quite large, weren't they? Did they just throw away the musket after the shot if no time to reload? It would be hard to engage in a sword fight with a musket strapped to your back, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Hmm.

I'm sure some will go but if we are nimble in our flexible, post-EU future, we will be able to attract others. e.g. official euro clearing will surely shift to the EU (tho this was likely long term, anyway); at the same time we will be able to strike down some of the anti-biz EU laws (bonuses anyone?) making London more alluring.

They won't go to Barcelona. Dublin is the most likely candidate.
    If this business went to Dublin, I reckon most London bankers would find a way to commute.
    Well it depends on the solution, some people think banks could capitalise small subsidiaries /post boxes in Dublin and route trades via a server room. Others believe around 10% of the City could decamp.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Carlotta/Alanbroke

Do you consider that it is just possible that the First Minister has thought about these things more deeply than you pair.

It is obvious that she has more of a worked out plan than the Prime Minister.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

Hmm.

I have to say any banker looking to set up in a separatist region needs to get their head examined.
    Yes, every potential EU rival to London has major problems (on top of lacking the ecosystem and financial infrastructure)

Dublin: provincial, rainy
    Paris: speak French, anti-business laws, security issues
    Frankfurt: boring, speak German
    Luxembourg: incredibly boring
    Amsterdam: small town, too many canals, smells of herring

As others have written it's possible that if Hard Brexit is a disaster for the City, a lot of the business will go to NYC or Hong Kong/Singapore, and/or simply disappear altogether
    I think that you do need to allow for the fact that the top echelons are often not British. French bankers may well like Paris or Geneva, German ones may like Frankfurt etc. It is the British commuters who are less linguistically skilled and more easily replaced.

In reality the main thing preventing a mass exodus from London is inertia, and the need for office space and infrastructure in their new site. It is far more likely that there will be a rundown by natural wastage and gradual job transfers rather than a mass movement.

My cousin who works in artificial intelligence for automated trading moved to the Continent this summer and seems quite happy, but I think the move was planned pre-Brexit.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Carlotta/Alanbroke

Do you consider that it is just possible that the First Minister has thought about these things more deeply than you pair.

It is obvious that she has more of a worked out plan than the Prime Minister.

How does a 'worked out plan' prioritise 15% of Scotland's trade over 60% of it?

How does a 'worked out plan' pay for moving from a Union that puts money into Scotland, to one that will take money out of Scotland?

Do tell......
This discussion has been closed.