Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn goes to war with the PLP yet again

Comments

• Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    Midprices at Betfair, 10 hours before the debate:

Clinton 1.215
    Trump 6.1

Neither Clinton nor Trump: implied price 76.8

Pence 480
    McMullin 625
    Kaine 980
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,741
    I might be suffering from false memory, but I can't recall the term "Customs Union" coming up on PB in the brief discussion we had on Brexit ahead of the referendum. It was all EEA/EFTA, blah, blah, blah, never CU.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,801
    edited October 2016

Mr. 43, you've missed off that the EU deals are there to suit the EU as a whole. A deal (even with us in) that helps Italy, Slovenia and France but harms us would be seen as a positive.

The advantage of our own deals is that they're done in the British national interest, not the EU interest.

With us out (if we leave...), the EU will be even less inclined to care if the deals they negotiate on our behalf harm us and help the EU.

We can still negotiate our own preferential trade agreements as part of the Customs Union. Turkey has them. I think the constraint is on not being able to set the import tariffs differently from the EU. Thinking about it, my second advantage for leaving the Customs is neutral because that would apply if we were in the Customs Union as well. The only practical advantage of leaving is the ability to set import tariffs at a lower rate than the EU.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited October 2016

@Mortimer

Though I am sceptical of the polIs generally, I agree that 47% is an astonishing result for a governing party. I suspect it might be due to UKIP losing supporters hand over fist now that their job is done. So perhaps this is more due to Conservative voters returning home as it were than any increase in actual support

I suspect that this apparent jump in Tory support is more down to Ipsos being an outlier in recent times, together with the fact that their figures for the Conservatives yo-yo like anything, than any other cause. They had the Tories up on 45% in mid-August, then back down to "only" 40% in mid-September, and then back up to 47% today - against a backdrop of more steady values (in around the 38-42% range) for the other pollsters. They also publish atypically low Ukip figures.

If the Unite the Right movement is in full swing then let's just say I'd like to see a consistent pattern of reporting from the other companies before I'll start to believe it (the ICM and YouGov numbers from earlier in the month *may* be the first signs of this happening, but there's still not nearly enough data out there to start drawing conclusions.)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,991

I might be suffering from false memory, but I can't recall the term "Customs Union" coming up on PB in the brief discussion we had on Brexit ahead of the referendum. It was all EEA/EFTA, blah, blah, blah, never CU.

I had never heard about it before after the vote.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    Moving on from what the majority on here seems to think is a hopeless cause to consider a number of other perhaps more hopeful causes.

How far into the Red states can HRC go ?

With a poll today showing a 5-point lead for HRC in AZ, maybe we should be thinking of where else the HRC bandwagon could roll.

Obama lost Arizona 45-54 in 2008 (McCain was the GOP candidate) but Romney won 53.5-44.5 in 2012 so for HRC to be 5 points up (43-38) suggests not so much a jump in the Democrat vote but a slump in the GOP vote.

As for Georgia where Clinton is apparently running ahead by 4-5 points, in 2008 Obama lost 47-52 to McCain and in 2012 45-53 to Romney. Again, it looks like a GOP vote slump.

In other areas, the GOP firewall seems to be holding - the last Montana poll kept Trump 10 points up in a state won by 14 by Romney and of course there's the very real possibility of Trump winning OH.

I'd love to see some other states having polls to give us some more clues - MA with a 26 point Clinton lead doesn't surprise that much.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The Lib Dems are tallying 7% in the polls because they are being forgotten about. If something happens to make the public not forget about them, they might well rise quite a bit in the polls.

A moderate performance in a by-election is not, however, going to do the trick. They really need to win one.

.............I'll leave the non-LDs on here to play the expectations management game for the LDs as they seem to enjoy it. Perhaps I should play the Conservative expectation game - on the national polls, the Conservatives should romp home with an increased majority on 70% of the vote. Anything less will clearly be a huge setback for Mrs May.
    Spherical Objects.
  • Options

Spherical Objects.

Hmm...as you were the one who started harping on about using national polls as a guide to by election results, I'll take that as a disaster for the Conservatives if they don't get at least 65% in Witney.

Many thanks.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

@Mortimer

Though I am sceptical of the polIs generally, I agree that 47% is an astonishing result for a governing party. I suspect it might be due to UKIP losing supporters hand over fist now that their job is done. So perhaps this is more due to Conservative voters returning home as it were than any increase in actual support

Tanks on all lawns captures a lot of votes.

My luvvie mate on FB who went all Godwins law on the Tory party conference is going to hate this. Nearly half the population support the Tories.

In GOVERNMENT.

Where is AVE'IT when you need him?
    You're in danger of sounding a lot like Sion Simon meets IOS
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

stodge said:

The Lib Dems are tallying 7% in the polls because they are being forgotten about. If something happens to make the public not forget about them, they might well rise quite a bit in the polls.

A moderate performance in a by-election is not, however, going to do the trick. They really need to win one.

.............I'll leave the non-LDs on here to play the expectations management game for the LDs as they seem to enjoy it. Perhaps I should play the Conservative expectation game - on the national polls, the Conservatives should romp home with an increased majority on 70% of the vote. Anything less will clearly be a huge setback for Mrs May.
    Spherical Objects.
    The only party clearly overstated in the opinion polls is the Conservatives . In the last 3 months they have polled less than 30% in local elections even below Corbyn's Labour . At least when Cameron was leader , Conservatives turned out to vote in local elections . They are now just armchair voters .
  • Options

Mortimer said:

@Mortimer

My luvvie mate on FB who went all Godwins law on the Tory party conference is going to hate this. Nearly half the population support the Tories.

In GOVERNMENT.

Get on the blower to OGH, we need smiling Theresas as we used to have the smiling Gordons.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    The only bright spot in this dismal poll for Labour appears in the Scotland figures - Lab 24% Con 22%.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,801

If you are part of the Single Market (EEA) you have tariff free access to the EU for goods, services and agricultural products. You don't need the more limited access of the Customs Union.
  • Options
    Committee chairs results to be announced right now..
  • Options

stodge said:

Spherical Objects.
    The only party clearly overstated in the opinion polls is the Conservatives . In the last 3 months they have polled less than 30% in local elections even below Corbyn's Labour . At least when Cameron was leader , Conservatives turned out to vote in local elections . They are now just armchair voters .
    Ah yes, parish by elections are the true indicator of party support in the country. :D
  • Options

Mortimer said:

@Mortimer

In GOVERNMENT.

Cameron got his 52% while in Opposition, in September 2008,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2010_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

@Recidivist

On the last thread you asked me "isn't the point of Grammar schools that not everyone has the chance to go to one?"

I'd say no that isn't the point. 'Every one should have the chance to go to one' isn't the same as 'everyone should go to one'

Plenty of children are barred from the opportunity to take the test. They don't have the chance.

But children who live in areas where education is allocated selectively don't have the chance to attend non-selective schools. (That's even before we get onto whether or not attending a grammar school is actually an advantage for those selected, whether it is a good way to allocate publically provided resources and whether we even have the tests that can select appropriately.)
    Sorry are you saying that children in areas with Grammar schools don't have the chance to go to the local comprehensive? Is that so?
    I am just pointing out that you either have a selective system or a comprehensive system. You can't have both at the same time. So you can't use the argument that not having grammar schools deprives people of the choice to go to a grammar without acknowledging that having grammar schools deprives people of the choice to go to a comprehensive. It is only a comprehensive school if it has the full range of abilities.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Incidentally, saw my first new fiver today.

Bloody rubbish. Too small, felt cheap, looks like Monopoly money.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    stodge said:

I'll leave the non-LDs on here to play the expectations management game for the LDs as they seem to enjoy it.

OK - undoubtedly the Lib Dems will win with an absolute majority of the vote - which will be just sufficient to save Farron's leadership.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,576

Having Kate Hoey scrutinise Brexit is like having IDS scrutinise the case for the Iraq war.

Utter nonsense as a premise. 'The case' is no longer being scrutinised. The equivalent would actually be the decision to go to war in Iraq having been decided, and the conduct of the campaign being scrutinised by Iain Duncan Smith. Which would seem perfectly valid to me.

There is every bit as much justification for a committed Eurosceptic to scrutinise this process as there is for a Europhile to scrutinise it.

This thread has clearly been written in anger. Bit embarrassing.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

stodge said:

Spherical Objects.
    There's no motivation to vote Tory in locals. Corbyn can't get in to government via locals. And people are bored of politics and voting. Hence the disparity between polls and council elections.

Be assured, when and if May faces Corbyn in 2020, the Tories will come out, in many millions.
    Cameron managed to motivate people to vote Tory in local elections only a few months ago .
  • Options
    Benn beats Hoey

Cooper beats Umunna and Flint
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    RobD said:
    It's misleading.

It will have USB-C the new standard, and much superior to the current generation. The adapters for old devices are available for generic suppliers for about 15 quid.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    stodge said:

Moving on from what the majority on here seems to think is a hopeless cause to consider a number of other perhaps more hopeful causes.

With a poll today showing a 5-point lead for HRC in AZ, maybe we should be thinking of where else the HRC bandwagon could roll.

Obama lost Arizona 45-54 in 2008 (McCain was the GOP candidate) but Romney won 53.5-44.5 in 2012 so for HRC to be 5 points up (43-38) suggests not so much a jump in the Democrat vote but a slump in the GOP vote.

As for Georgia where Clinton is apparently running ahead by 4-5 points, in 2008 Obama lost 47-52 to McCain and in 2012 45-53 to Romney. Again, it looks like a GOP vote slump.

In other areas, the GOP firewall seems to be holding - the last Montana poll kept Trump 10 points up in a state won by 14 by Romney and of course there's the very real possibility of Trump winning OH.

I'd love to see some other states having polls to give us some more clues - MA with a 26 point Clinton lead doesn't surprise that much.

Texas is close. I may be tempted if I was Clinton to invest in Texas and Arizona. Turning them purple would screw up the republicans for future elections. Gerogia maybe as well: early voting among minorities is up there apparently.
  • Options

619 said:

oooooohhhhh. Trump connections with Russa proven

https://twitter.com/funder/status/788040411407343618

Make Russia Great Again.
    Can anyone tell us what's actually wrong with having businesses in Russia? I'm struggling.
  • Options
    Damian Collins for Culture etc
  • Options
    RobD said:

stodge said:

Spherical Objects.
    Ah yes, parish by elections are the true indicator of party support in the country. :D
    You are the only one on here to have mentioned parish elections . What is your fixation with them ?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    justin124 said:

The only bright spot in this dismal poll for Labour appears in the Scotland figures - Lab 24% Con 22%.

It's very open to question whether that's a bright spot. Labour would rather have its support where it could win seats. 24% in Scotland isn't going to improve the seat tally. If Labour is going to poll at 29% across Britain as a whole, it either wants to poll much more strongly in Scotland or much more weakly.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

RobD said:
    It's misleading.

It will have USB-C the new standard, and much superior to the current generation. The adapters for old devices are available for generic suppliers for about 15 quid.
    Good point. Still means I have to buy *yet another* adaptor for my USB-A external drives. Not to mention the reported demise of the headphone jack and magsafe adaptor (which seems like a massive downgrade when you do eventually trip over your power cable).
  • Options
    FF43 said:

2. The UK may be more flexible in negotiating deals with third countries and so may have a higher chance of success than the EU for deals still to be signed.

That's a bit disingenuous, how exactly are you supposed to negotiate a trade agreement of any sort when you are in control of neither the tariffs of the NTBs security/environment/law enforcement standards at the border ?

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''There's no motivation to vote Tory in locals. Corbyn can't get in to government via locals. And people are bored of politics and voting. Hence the disparity between polls and council elections.''

Are you saying voters are quite happy to let the libs clean the toilets, but no way are they getting into the boardroom?
  • Options
    Stephen Metcalfe for Technology and Science select committee
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

@Mortimer

In GOVERNMENT.

Get on the blower to OGH, we need smiling Theresas as we used to have the smiling Gordons.
    I'll be doing a thread on it tonight.

I've got something spectacular planned.
  • Options

RobD said:

stodge said:

Spherical Objects.
    You are the only one on here to have mentioned parish elections . What is your fixation with them ?
    I admit, sarcasm is quite hard to detect on the internet. :p
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    SeanT said:

Benn

Ouch.... Corbyn won't be happy about that.
  • Options
    stodge said:

That Arizona poll included about 21% undecideds, so the numbers can't be directly compared with previous election results.

Also, surely you mean Clinton is behind by 4-5 points in Georgia?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    taffys said:

''There's no motivation to vote Tory in locals. Corbyn can't get in to government via locals. And people are bored of politics and voting. Hence the disparity between polls and council elections.''

Are you saying voters are quite happy to let the libs clean the toilets, but no way are they getting into the boardroom?

:D
  • Options
    RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:
    It's misleading.

Good point. Still means I have to buy *yet another* adaptor for my USB-A external drives. Not to mention the reported demise of the headphone jack and magsafe adaptor (which seems like a massive downgrade when you do eventually trip over your power cable).
    Yeah the headphones and magsafe stuff is idiotic, but USB-C is 5GB/s and can carry enough power to run pretty much any device without requiring it to have its own power supply, and in many ways more importantly is dramatically more robust.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Essexit said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

(snip)

To this observer, the pro-Trump, or should that be anti-HRC elements are making the same mistake the REMAIN side made in the EU Referendum. While I have heard loads of vitriol explaining why I shouldn't vote for HRC, I've heard almost nothing saying why I should vote FOR Trump.

As with REMAIN, Trump plays to the fear and to the anger but offers nothing positive or hopeful. There's something about cutting taxes and making America "great again" (whatever that means) but the personalisation of the message (I'm Donald, I know what I'm doing) is almost as bad as Cameron's which was essentially "Trust me, I'm Dave".

Good point. Clinton vs. Trump is not really Remain vs. Leave, as some here have suggested, but Remain vs. Remain.
    Hmm. I think yes amongst the two candidates personally that makes sense. A Remain vs Leave comparison is more apt when looking at their respective voter pools however. Trump will be largely fishing for votes in the same pool as Brexit did, those people may well vote trump in spite of Trump, it's the movement he represents (however poorly he is representing it currently). The question is whether he can top that up with enough republican loyalists to get him over the line (much like leave had to do with Hannanites and Marxists joining the populist voters). I think it's unlikely now but bet there is a lot of shy trumpers and it will be much closer than current polling suggests.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

On the customs union I think it is possible the U.K. stays in it for Goods (a la Turkey) whilst retaining some latitude to negotiate on services and non-tariff barriers outwith it, but it would mean obeying all EU rules on product standards without having a say.

Why on EARTH would we do that? We LOSE money under the current arrangements.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

RobD said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:
    It's misleading.

Yeah the headphones and magsafe stuff is idiotic, but USB-C is 5GB/s and can carry enough power to run pretty much any device without requiring it to have its own power supply, and in many ways more importantly is dramatically more robust.
    Yeah. I suppose one port could be used for all my external things while the other is used for charging. Still feels like a downgrade from what I have right now .Of course, I don't have to get a new one. How is the port dramatically more robust? Can't say I've ever had an old USB port break on me.
  • Options

619 said:

https://twitter.com/funder/status/788040411407343618

Make Russia Great Again.
    Can anyone tell us what's actually wrong with having businesses in Russia? I'm struggling.
    Mr Song is a corbynite, having business anywhere is bad, especially if it makes a profit :smiley:
  • Options
    Chris said:

stodge said:

That Arizona poll included about 21% undecideds, so the numbers can't be directly compared with previous election results.

I'm pretty sure I sure a report claiming polling had shown HRC ahead in Georgia but I sit to be corrected.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2016

619 said:

ttps://twitter.com/funder/status/788040411407343618

Make Russia Great Again.
    Nothing, it’s why Obama's signed up to trade relations with Russia and Moldova in 2012,
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

@Mortimer

I suspect that this apparent jump in Tory support is more down to Ipsos being an outlier in recent times, together with the fact that their figures for the Conservatives yo-yo like anything, than any other cause. They had the Tories up on 45% in mid-August, then back down to "only" 40% in mid-September, and then back up to 47% today - against a backdrop of more steady values (in around the 38-42% range) for the other pollsters. They also publish atypically low Ukip figures.

)
    I think there is a lot in what you say regarding Mori's volatility. The sample size is only 625 for those giving a voting intention , though I am not quite sure what that implies re-MOE.It certainly does not confirm ICM's huge gender gap which showed a 30% Tory lead for women compared with 11% for men. Mori shows a 25% Con lead for men and a Con lead of 11% for women. Who to believe?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Chris said:

stodge said:

I'm pretty sure I sure a report claiming polling had shown HRC ahead in Georgia but I sit to be corrected.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/georgia/

One poll, but it does look like an outlier (and has a poor rating from 538).
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    stodge said:

Chris said:

stodge said:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/georgia/

Surveymonkey had Clinton with a +5
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

I think you mean 'looks like brexit money' :)
  • Options
    felix said:

Hi felix! How is you today?

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

*runs and hides* :lol:
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728

felix said:

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

Yeah, close wasn't it.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Chris said:

stodge said:

Looking at the polls, there is a Survey Monkey poll showing Clinton 4 points ahead, but it seems to be an outlier. RCP has Trump ahead by 5.3, and 538 by 2.4.
  • Options
    Oh dear.

Bloomberg
    @business
    Economists think the Bank of England will cut its key interest rate to 0.1% next month http://bloom.bg/2e0fBgh
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

I see I hit the mark the other day :)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

I'm finding it hard to entirely square this with huge support for the Tories

@MikeTQUB
    Ipsos MORI poll: 24% think that decision to leave EU will be better for their standard of living and 48% that it will be worse

Another pointer to Soft Brexit, perhaps....

Women voters love having a female PM. That probably explains the big rise in Tory support.
  • Options

felix said:

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

Yeah, close wasn't it.
    Unfortunately for you a majority of 1 is all you need in an election.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    SeanT said:

@MikeTQUB
    Ipsos MORI poll: 24% think that decision to leave EU will be better for their standard of living and 48% that it will be worse

I am not sure why you find the two results so hard to square. Quite a few people who voted to leave accepted that there might be a hit to their standard of living if we did leave.

"Soft Brexit", whatever that means, is irrelevant.
  • Options

felix said:

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

Yeah, close wasn't it.
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/18/the-nearest-run-thing/

*Sunil whistles innocently*
  • Options

@Recidivist

On the last thread you asked me "isn't the point of Grammar schools that not everyone has the chance to go to one?"

I'd say no that isn't the point. 'Every one should have the chance to go to one' isn't the same as 'everyone should go to one'

Plenty of children are barred from the opportunity to take the test. They don't have the chance.

But children who live in areas where education is allocated selectively don't have the chance to attend non-selective schools. (That's even before we get onto whether or not attending a grammar school is actually an advantage for those selected, whether it is a good way to allocate publically provided resources and whether we even have the tests that can select appropriately.)
    Sorry are you saying that children in areas with Grammar schools don't have the chance to go to the local comprehensive? Is that so?
    I am just pointing out that you either have a selective system or a comprehensive system. You can't have both at the same time. So you can't use the argument that not having grammar schools deprives people of the choice to go to a grammar without acknowledging that having grammar schools deprives people of the choice to go to a comprehensive. It is only a comprehensive school if it has the full range of abilities.
    That's true I guess semantically. I meant they had the choice not to go to a grammar, and I shouldn't think the non grammars would be worse than the comprehensive they replace, but I suppose that's the key argument.
  • Options

Oh dear.

Bloomberg
    @business
    Economists think the Bank of England will cut its key interest rate to 0.1% next month http://bloom.bg/2e0fBgh

Carney really hates savers doesn't he?
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, I bloody well hope not.

We'll see. Carney's not impressed in recent months.

Mr. Felix, au contraire, it's what happens when the Bank of England is under the stewardship of a Remain-backing foreigner (who also closed the old bank at the, er, Bank).
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

@MikeTQUB

It's an entirely Corbynite result

Do you like Brexit? No

Will you vote for Labour? Hell No...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

@MikeTQUB

If you are a left leaner, you vote Labour even though you know taxes are going to go up and you are going to be poorer, because it makes the world better, or at least it make you think the world is better, or possibly it just makes you feel good about thinking the world might be better. In anycase the cost is incidental and acceptable within certain limits.

I think the same is true of a lot of Leave voters, its just that the load of mercantilist free-traders we have on here cannot conceive of anything which costs them more being better under any circumstance.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Oh dear.

Bloomberg
    @business

I can't see him staying around long.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    stodge said:

Chris said:

stodge said:

A couple of polls today say she is ahead by 4/5pts. Washington Post and a GOP private poll.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Spherical Objects.

Hmm...as you were the one who started harping on about using national polls as a guide to by election results, I'll take that as a disaster for the Conservatives if they don't get at least 65% in Witney.
    Many thanks.
    You are the AveiT of the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,115
    RobD said:

Just Baxter'd it, for a bit of fun:

Con 392
    Lab 176
    LD 5
    UKIP 1
    Green 1
    SNP 5
    PC 3
    NI 18

Majority 134 :D

Ha Ha Ha SNP 5 , I don't think so, mince in mince out
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    If this opinion poll were reflected in Witney the Tories would get about 70% of the vote.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    From an electoral angle it may be a good idea for Corbyn to put a labour leaver in a senior role on the Brexit committee. Brexit was ultimately achieved by labour voters. If Corbyn is bothered by labour surviving, of course, these voters need to keep voting labour.

Its hard to see where this stop brexit movement, which no doubt Benn will epitomise, is going to achieve. The aim seems to be to rule out hard brexit. But as we know, this then weakens our negotiating stance considerably.

I can't help thinking that we have f**ked up by putting ourselves on this path to triggering article 50.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Con 392
    Lab 176
    LD 5
    UKIP 1
    Green 1
    SNP 5
    PC 3
    NI 18

Sorry, that was a typo. Should have been 55 (down 1)
  • Options

Oh dear.

Bloomberg
    @business

I can't see him staying around long.
    I hope not. If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well. It were done quickly:
    I gain on these rate cuts, but the country loses. Carney has to go.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

@MikeTQUB

Do you like Brexit? No

Quite possibly so. I detect little real enthusiasm for Mrs May.

She is just the last one standing after the implosion of all competing parties. In the land of the blind the one eyed woman is Queen.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

@MikeTQUB

Do you like Brexit? No

She is just the last one standing after the implosion of all competing parties. In the land of the blind the one eyed woman is Queen.
    I suspect your social circle does not include many people who would normally be enthused by a Tory leader? ;)
  • Options
    nielh said:

I can't help thinking that we have f**ked up by putting ourselves on this path to triggering article 50.

Hobson's choice. As soon as it was clear that Cameron had stopped the Civil Service from doing any contingency work on a Leave vote, and basically did sod all during the leadership campaign, it was obvious that May was going to have to start from scratch, and only a fool would trigger Article 50 without having sounded out partners and got a team together and thrashed out a basic position.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,493
    So Benn gets the job after all. And Cooper not Umunna.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

@MikeTQUB

Do you like Brexit? No

"Hell yes, I'm tough enough!" - Ed Miliband, 2015.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I hope not. If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well. It were done quickly:
    I gain on these rate cuts, but the country loses. Carney has to go.''

Been calling for it for months. Carney is determined that Brexit has to have an effect. It just has to. And he is determined to provoke that effect.

Utterly discredited.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403

Oh dear.

Bloomberg
    @business

Maybe they misread it and it actually said 1% instead. That would be a much better move.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2016
    I see the bbc is engaging in classic bias by omission over the migrant adults kids story. Not showing pictures of the most obviously dodgy examples of individuals claiming to be kids and clearly not, no mention of home office own figures showing 2/3s of similar cases are found not to be kids & failing to mention the dodgy background of the family of the kid lily Allen met.

Instead the focus is on the outrage that anybody would question any of this.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

@MikeTQUB

Do you like Brexit? No

I suspect your social circle does not include many people who would normally be enthused by a Tory leader? ;)
    Mrs Indigo (Snr) reports that she is going down extremely well with the Hereford rural purple rinsers, many of whom were flirting with the kippers before the GE. Comments are apparently along the lines of it being nice to have a "proper" Tory back in No.10
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

stodge said:

Chris said:

stodge said:

A couple of polls today say she is ahead by 4/5pts. Washington Post and a GOP private poll.
    Well, if those were accurate, it would suggest that about half a dozen states where Trump has been leading so far were vulnerable, including Texas.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

@Mortimer

)
    I think there is a lot in what you say regarding Mori's volatility. The sample size is only 625 for those giving a voting intention , though I am not quite sure what that implies re-MOE.It certainly does not confirm ICM's huge gender gap which showed a 30% Tory lead for women compared with 11% for men. Mori shows a 25% Con lead for men and a Con lead of 11% for women. Who to believe?
    It's always a bit of a guessing game, of course, but I reckon that the pollsters were reasonably close at the last GE (bar the all-important 3% Lab to Con swing, which spoiled everything,) so the mean of all of the recent polling figures probably isn't too far from the truth, either.

So, if we go to the latest published version of the Britain Elects spreadsheet (which doesn't yet include today's Ipsos,) and simply tot up the 22 polls shown for the period since the start of August, you get the following mean values:

Con 40%
    Lab 29%
    LD 8%
    Ukip 12%

Or you could read that as Con 43%, Lab 26% if you remain to be convinced that the pollsters have properly corrected their anti-Tory bias...
  • Options
    The polls are wrong.

There is no way that Labour are that high with Corbyn in charge.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,115
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Con 392
    Lab 176
    LD 5
    UKIP 1
    Green 1
    SNP 5
    PC 3
    NI 18

Sorry, that was a typo. Should have been 55 (down 1)
    Freudian slip I bet, you bounder
  • Options
    Chris said:

Jobabob said:

stodge said:

Chris said:

stodge said:

Well, if those were accurate, it would suggest that about half a dozen states where Trump has been leading so far were vulnerable, including Texas.
    I cannot see TX going or GA, but who knows?
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

Re the Mori poll, I'm sure I can't be alone in finding it hard to reconcile Con 47% LD 7% with the prospect of a LD gain in Witney. Something is wrong with the reporting somewhere. Sure, local campaigning matters but you can't go negative effectively when you're badly yourself or when the party you're going against isn't.

Frankly, considering the last month the government's had, I'm surprised the Lib Dems aren't doing better - they certainly are in local by-elections - but all the same, the polls keep churning out single-figure scores.

As some of us have been saying for a while, ahem, the polls suggest the LDs don't have a hope in Witney. And they don't.
    Interesting how some gleefully tell us a Liberal surprise is on the cards in Witney when they are 40% behind in opinion polls yet mock anyone who suggests it is still possible that Trump might win when he is 4% behind in opinion polls.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2016
    Jobabob said:

The polls are wrong.

There is no way that Labour are that high with Corbyn in charge.

It's Ipsos, so Labour are probably really in the mid 20s.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited October 2016
    On topic:

Is Corbyn actually being fairly astute over Brexit? He has very little in common with Hoey politically, but by supporting a prominent Labour Leaver, he may well be on the way to ideas to recapture the WWC Leave vote for the Left (which I think has been his longstanding view).

A hard Brexit with defensive tariffs, import substitution and government interference in industry is just his cup of tea.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    stodge said:

The key thing is that it's a Republican slump not a Dem surge. So this means if anything happens to motivate the Rep base then Republican numbers could jump up rapidly in these Red states wiping out Hilary's current leads/gains.

I'm not tempted.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    edited October 2016
    Jobabob said:

As the wise man on here said: May's support is a mile wide and an inch deep.

That was me!!!

Still true. May reigns supreme in the absence of a viable offer from anyone else. And at the end of the day she feels like "one of us" to large swathes of Tory Britain in a way we haven't seen for a generation.

But if Brexit and/or economy falter, she'll have issues, and as the PM polling shows she is not loved.

Good to see UKIP down too.

On committee chairs the "right" decisions seem to have been made. It feels like parliament is at the centre of our politics again which is very very healthy.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

felix said:

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

Yeah, close wasn't it.
    - More people than voted for anything ever
    - 1.4 million people more for Leave
    - Massive turnout
    - Remain had almost every conceivable advantage
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Bloomberg
    @business
    Economists think ....

It doesn't seem to do them much good.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, indeed. The day the children/'children' came over, the footage used was of the bus/coach that drove them in.

Mr. Taffys, if Carney cuts rates, with inflation rising and the pound falling, it'd back up your claim.

The deputy doughnut (I forget her name) who advocated low rates for years to come seems equally bonkers.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Indigo said:

nielh said:

Hobson's choice. As soon as it was clear that Cameron had stopped the Civil Service from doing any contingency work on a Leave vote, and basically did sod all during the leadership campaign, it was obvious that May was going to have to start from scratch, and only a fool would trigger Article 50 without having sounded out partners and got a team together and thrashed out a basic position.
    Step forward Andrea Leadsom and Ian Duncan Smith!
    The point was that people like Jeremy Hunt, who said we wouldn't do it until 2020, were moved out of the picture. Mays mistake was to commit to triggering article 50. She got bounced in to it by the leavers that were surrounding her and the prospect of needing to be elected by the tory grassroots. I'm pretty convinced that had Leadsom not stepped down, she had a good chance of winning a vote in the grassroots.

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

On topic:

Is Corbyn actually being fairly astute over Brexit? He has very little in common with Hoey politically, but by supporting a prominent Labour Leaver, he may well be on the way to ideas to recapture the WWC Leave vote for the Left (which I think has been his longstanding view).

A hard Brexit with defensive tariffs, import substitution and government interference in industry is just his cup of tea.

They did both oppose the Maastricht Treaty!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    Hmm...I have commented a few times that the collapse of UKIP gave May a chance to really clean up but I must expect that I did not expect it to happen so quickly.

Like others I remain bemused that in such a bipolar world there still seems to be so little room for the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

felix said:

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

Yeah, close wasn't it.
    - More people than voted for anything ever
    - 1.4 million people more for Leave
    - Massive turnout
    - Remain had almost every conceivable advantage
    Close but no cigar

Nadal/Federer in the 2008 Wimbledon Championship.

6–4, 6–4, 6–7(5–7), 6–7(8–10), 9–7

That was a close match.

One of them was the champion afterwards, and one wasn't.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If this opinion poll were reflected in Witney the Tories would get about 70% of the vote.

Even if the opposition parties were to underperform, I'd be astonished if the Tories scored 70% of the entire vote in Witney. By-elections ≠ general elections.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    So we are going to increase our beef production, right...?

https://twitter.com/iandunt/status/788749921587490816
This discussion has been closed.