Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn goes to war with the PLP yet again

Comments

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited October 2016

TOPPING said:

Looks to me as though the Customs Union (but not membership of the Single Market) idea is very much on the table. I'm warming to that approach. Dunno if our EU friends would go along with it, though.

Would Leavers go along with it?
    On the negative side, it would mean we'd have to implement EU tariffs, so no separate trade agreements with other countries. But, realistically, is that an issue?
    It is for Liam Fox....
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited October 2016
    TOPPING said:

It was only a small subset of Leavers who understood that "Project Fear", the more sensible parts of it, anyway, were likely to transpire, more or less.

"the more sensible parts"

That's an interesting line to take ;)

A lot of leavers thought the Project Fear was overblown and that while there would be a short term economic impact, it would not be anything like as bad as suggested, and would on balance be worth it for the long term upside. This forum is full of this sort of view from Leavers prior to the referendum.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073

Re the Mori poll, I'm sure I can't be alone in finding it hard to reconcile Con 47% LD 7% with the prospect of a LD gain in Witney. Something is wrong with the reporting somewhere. Sure, local campaigning matters but you can't go negative effectively when you're badly yourself or when the party you're going against isn't.

Frankly, considering the last month the government's had, I'm surprised the Lib Dems aren't doing better - they certainly are in local by-elections - but all the same, the polls keep churning out single-figure scores.

I think Farron is working on the theory of one by-election gaining catapulting the LibDems into the (low) teens.

I think May is (wrongly) scared of that. A split left benefits the conservatives.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,491
    TOPPING said:

Looks to me as though the Customs Union (but not membership of the Single Market) idea is very much on the table. I'm warming to that approach. Dunno if our EU friends would go along with it, though.

And their alternative is?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    glw said:

Look away TSE - "the effect of Theresa May's conference speech"

Sebastian Payne ✔ @SebastianEPayne
    Tories are 18pts (*18*) ahead of Labour in October's @IpsosMORI poll. Ukip down to 6pts - the effect of Theresa May's conference speech?

What a shocker, May more in tune with the country than her critics.
    Her satisfaction ratings are actually down 11% from last month
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Worth recalling we live in turbulent times. This mid-term blues/honeymoon period could well be a high watermark.

Or not. But we shouldn't assume the lead will grow. Labour does have a relatively high floor.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    edited October 2016

A question to the thread, not entirely innocent:

Does the pb commentariat think that the Conservatives, Labour and the Lib Dems will collectively take more or less of the vote at the Witney by-election than they collectively took at the general election?

Less. Loony surge.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405

TOPPING said:

Well, it wouldn't require freedom of movement or the ECJ interfering in our affairs, or CAP, of CFP, or the EAW (unless we signed up separately), and it would mean much-reduced contributions to the EU budget. The big economic advantage would be zero paperwork, hassle and tariffs on trading manufactured goods, so excellent for our car industry for example.

On the negative side, it would mean we'd have to implement EU tariffs, so no separate trade agreements with other countries. But, realistically, is that an issue?
    Well people say it is. Theresa has semi-arbitrarily decided (because there have been polls) that immigration is a red line. Much of the rhetoric of many of the leavers, meanwhile, has been on freeing ourselves from the shackles of EU trade deals and the ability to strike out on our own and negotiate our own trade deal with Tonga and New Zealand.

There will be circles to square all over but letting the EU decide our trade arrangements with 3rd countries might be a tricky one.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Does the pb commentariat think that the Conservatives, Labour and the Lib Dems will collectively take more or less of the vote at the Witney by-election than they collectively took at the general election?

No. Loony surge.
    The loonies too are split. A big bust up with both sides accusing the other of being sensible.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Customs Union is the absolute worst option. We get most of the pain of leaving, but are unable to sign any meaningful trade deals with anyone else. If that is the plan what is the exit from that to the next stage since it wont be Global Britain, it will be the EU Slightly Annoying Neighbour Britain.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    SeanT said:

As some of us have been saying for a while, ahem, the polls suggest the LDs don't have a hope in Witney. And they don't.

The ICM Poll from October 1990 had the Conservatives on 36% and the LDs on 9% (Labour on 49%). Now these polls are obviously from a different time and probably of little significance but the fact remains Eastbourne saw a 16,000 Conservative majority wiped out albeit under very different circumstances.

The point is only that national opinion polls don't tell the whole story.

• Options

Re the Mori poll, I'm sure I can't be alone in finding it hard to reconcile Con 47% LD 7% with the prospect of a LD gain in Witney. Something is wrong with the reporting somewhere. Sure, local campaigning matters but you can't go negative effectively when you're badly yourself or when the party you're going against isn't.

Oct 1990 Eastbourne by election 18th October. 3 polls averaging 33 Cons and 12 Lib Dems.

IMHO LDs really need to be in double figures to have a launch pad and Cons into the 30s to have a chance of attack (and UKIP very low) which leaves Labour vote to be squeezed by LDs.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

On the subject of made-up definitions, I once met someone who used the word flag to mean cancel.

Let's flag it.

No-one else knew he meant cancel it – which caused a few problems...

For some reason in the army "ASAP" is "ASP" (presumably to say ASAP ASAP).

@HurstLlama? Your recollection?
    Mr. Topping, You may be correct but I don't recall it. In the spoken usage I remember it being pronounced as, "Asap". However, in my regiment at least if someone wanted something done on the rush, now, they tended to use the word, "Jildi" (from the Hindi, like so much military slang). NCO's would for example conclude an order with the expression "Jildi, jildi!", or use the same if someone wasn't doing something fast enough for their liking.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Well, it wouldn't require freedom of movement or the ECJ interfering in our affairs, or CAP, of CFP, or the EAW (unless we signed up separately), and it would mean much-reduced contributions to the EU budget. The big economic advantage would be zero paperwork, hassle and tariffs on trading manufactured goods, so excellent for our car industry for example.

Well people say it is. Theresa has semi-arbitrarily decided (because there have been polls) that immigration is a red line. Much of the rhetoric of many of the leavers, meanwhile, has been on freeing ourselves from the shackles of EU trade deals and the ability to strike out on our own and negotiate our own trade deal with Tonga and New Zealand.

There will be circles to square all over but letting the EU decide our trade arrangements with 3rd countries might be a tricky one.
    semi-arbitrarily? Wasn't immigration control one of the big themes of the referendum?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    As the wise man on here said: May's support is a mile wide and an inch deep.

Jeremy Corbyn is the key member of her inner circle. Without him, she could soon face trouble.

The new numbers on people's financial concerns over Brexit may be a leading indicator.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Customs Union is the absolute worst option. We get most of the pain of leaving, but are unable to sign any meaningful trade deals with anyone else. If that is the plan what is the exit from that to the next stage since it wont be Global Britain, it will be the EU Slightly Annoying Neighbour Britain.
    But I meant - what alternative do the leavers have (as voters) if the government collectively goes down such a path?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

@OliverCooper: New Ipsos-MORI poll shows the Conservatives destroying Labour and UKIP:

Conservatives 47% (+7)
    Labour 29% (-5)
    LDs 7% (+1)
    UKIP 6% (-3)

Those changes!
    Lib Dems showing strongest proportional increase. Go Bears! Nailed on for Witney! Or not...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @rcs1000 @TCPoliticalBetting That was my instinct too. At the general election those three parties tallied a combined 84.2% of the vote. The SPIN buy prices on the vote share market totals 84. If the vote is going to coalesce further round those three, that implies there is good value available there on the buy side with one or more parties.

Personally, to me the Labour share looks about right, perhaps a bit high. I've decided to buy both the Lib Dems and the Conservatives.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

It was only a small subset of Leavers who understood that "Project Fear", the more sensible parts of it, anyway, were likely to transpire, more or less.

"the more sensible parts"

That's an interesting line to take ;)

A lot of leavers thought the Project Fear was overblown and that while there would be a short term economic impact, it would not be anything like as bad as suggested, and would on balance be worth it for the long term upside. This forum is full of this sort of view from Leavers prior to the referendum.
    Yes. PB Leavers have always better understood the economics of the most likely scenarios under Brexit. "Sensible parts" include that famous diminution in GDP, a lower pound, the risk of decreased investment, etc. All a p**** worth p***** I get that.

Of course PB Leavers will also understand more than others the time value of money and that "short term economic impacts" have a disproportionately important effect on NPVs.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The euro is quite weak in the crosses. Little has been made on here of capital flight from Italy in recent days.

It would simply be too, too delicious, if there was a euro crisis and the pound became a safe haven because we are leaving.

I couldn't be that lucky, could I?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

@OliverCooper: New Ipsos-MORI poll shows the Conservatives destroying Labour and UKIP:

Conservatives 47% (+7)
    Labour 29% (-5)
    LDs 7% (+1)
    UKIP 6% (-3)

Who will be more depressed at those figures ? Labourites or moaning faced wet blue remainers ?

Lolz.
    I predicted that May's speech and positioning (much of which I didn't like) would be hugely popular. She's managed to get Labour and Kippers into her big tent in one go. In pure politics, that's very impressive.
    Her big tent full of sweet air is doing fine for now, despite lack of tent pegs. Her test will come when people see the reality of Brexit, as distinct from a quilt of sewn-together half baked dreams and Bullshit a la SeanT.
    Oh I agree. Which is why I don't want the Hard Brexit she "seems" to be offering. I said there were parts of her speech I disliked. Nanny state, interventionism, meh. Heathrow dithering (or media mishandling of the announcement), pff.

My point is that she has, very skilfully, managed to seize the centre ground AND regather kippers, and the WWC. That's canny politics, however you cut your cucumber.
    Especially without actually doing anything, or even proposing to do anything in particular.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Anorak said:

FPT

Scott_P said:
    Sounds like a good opportunity then. Get it unbanned (like it recently was in the USA) and our exports can rise from zero to more.
    If we export our beef to Japan what do we eat instead - Cake ?
    Wow, what do you say to this? I seriously hope you're joking and don't think if we export food that means we will run out and starve?
    Who knows with the collapsing pound . We cannot all afford to eat Swiss and Italian cheese or pineapples from Kenya .
    The collapsing pound is designed to boost exports and just because we export beef does not mean we run out of beef domestically. There will still be plenty of Aberdeen Angus etc available in the UK even if some is exported, our farmers can increase production if there's more demand.
    "designed" lol
    Why else did the Carney cut interest rates thus sending sterling down? If he'd wanted to keep sterling up he could have held interest rates steady or increased them.
    You think a 1/4 percent drop was what led to the collapse of sterling?! Seriously!!??
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    stodge said:

SeanT said:

As some of us have been saying for a while, ahem, the polls suggest the LDs don't have a hope in Witney. And they don't.

The ICM Poll from October 1990 had the Conservatives on 36% and the LDs on 9% (Labour on 49%). Now these polls are obviously from a different time and probably of little significance but the fact remains Eastbourne saw a 16,000 Conservative majority wiped out albeit under very different circumstances.

The point is only that national opinion polls don't tell the whole story.

Correct. Remember, the Westminster VI polls are weighted for general election turnouts. Turnout in Witney could be very low.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @IanB2

'Her big tent full of sweet air is doing fine for now, despite lack of tent pegs. Her test will come when people see the reality of Brexit, as distinct from a quilt of sewn-together half baked dreams and Bullshit a la SeanT.'

But she's up against Corbyn & the students union leader.

• Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

FPT

Scott_P said:
    Sounds like a good opportunity then. Get it unbanned (like it recently was in the USA) and our exports can rise from zero to more.
    Wow, what do you say to this? I seriously hope you're joking and don't think if we export food that means we will run out and starve?
    Who knows with the collapsing pound . We cannot all afford to eat Swiss and Italian cheese or pineapples from Kenya .
    The collapsing pound is designed to boost exports and just because we export beef does not mean we run out of beef domestically. There will still be plenty of Aberdeen Angus etc available in the UK even if some is exported, our farmers can increase production if there's more demand.
    "designed" lol
    Why else did the Carney cut interest rates thus sending sterling down? If he'd wanted to keep sterling up he could have held interest rates steady or increased them.
    You think a 1/4 percent drop was what led to the collapse of sterling?! Seriously!!??
    Sterling plunged after the vote and plunged again after the Tory Conf hard Brexit stuff. I don't recall the rate cut making much of a difference?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Jobabob said:

As the wise man on here said: May's support is a mile wide and an inch deep.

Jeremy Corbyn is the key member of her inner circle. Without him, she could soon face trouble.

The new numbers on people's financial concerns over Brexit may be a leading indicator.

But JC is a big brown turd. And people dont want that a mile wide , inch deep or an inch wide a mile deep.

And in this analogy, Labour is a white fluffy cashmere blanket - he's not going anywhere.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

On the subject of made-up definitions, I once met someone who used the word flag to mean cancel.

Let's flag it.

Mr. Topping, You may be correct but I don't recall it. In the spoken usage I remember it being pronounced as, "Asap". However, in my regiment at least if someone wanted something done on the rush, now, they tended to use the word, "Jildi" (from the Hindi, like so much military slang). NCO's would for example conclude an order with the expression "Jildi, jildi!", or use the same if someone wasn't doing something fast enough for their liking.
    Interesting. I'm sure Windsor Davies would have approved.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, does anybody know if Witney is counting tomorrow night? Or can we all have an early night :)

I'm on a plane....

Does the @RobD rule apply to me as well?
  • Options

Oct 1990 Eastbourne by election 18th October. 3 polls averaging 33 Cons and 12 Lib Dems.

IMHO LDs really need to be in double figures to have a launch pad and Cons into the 30s to have a chance of attack (and UKIP very low) which leaves Labour vote to be squeezed by LDs.

Averaging polls from 1990?

That's pretty desperate stuff even from you.

"Poll averaging - the last refuge of the scoundrel"

• Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, does anybody know if Witney is counting tomorrow night? Or can we all have an early night :)

I'm on a plane....

Does the @RobD rule apply to me as well?
    Was on terra firma when the MORI poll came out ;)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Con 47%
    Lab 29%

I think Labour are >5% over stated.

I agree, which means this poll is quite close to that fairytale election result I posited a few days back. Something like
    Tories: 48
    Labour: 22
    Lib Dems: 8
    Ukip: 6
    Greens: 4
    Looks where we are. Labour are still being over stated by most pollsters. Far too many 18-24 in the figures assumed to actually vote. The problem is that they infect other non GE polls and distort the picture on what is actually influencing people that vote.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    SeanT said:

Turning out to be a great day for Labour

Jack Blanchard
    @Jack_Blanchard_
    Labour source: Seumas Milne is staying as Jeremy Corbyn's director of comms

Shouldn't that read, 'turning out to be a great day for' the Guardian :lol:
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2016
    TOPPING said:

My personal view is that the championing of 'free trade deals' was a post-hoc rationalisation by the Leavers. They recognised that the economic arguments were massively on the Remain side, and so convinced themselves that there was some vaguely-defined pot of trade-gold which we could magically access by free trade deals. The fact that there is no evidence of this, and a lot of evidence to the contrary (see, for example the point @rcs1000 has made here that there are very, very few significant trade deals between the G20 states other than the big blocs) was dismissed with hand-waving*.

Now that the referendum has been won by the Leavers, they don't actually need that pretence any more, and of course the government has to deal with reality. The reality is that business is very worried; in particular, our car industry is simply not viable without tariff-free and largely hassle-free trade in its cross-border intra-EU supply chain.

I don't know how this will play out, but I wouldn't rule out the Customs Union idea.

*see upthread for definition!
  • Options

@Recidivist

On the last thread you asked me "isn't the point of Grammar schools that not everyone has the chance to go to one?"

I'd say no that isn't the point. 'Every one should have the chance to go to one' isn't the same as 'everyone should go to one'

Plenty of children are barred from the opportunity to take the test. They don't have the chance.

But children who live in areas where education is allocated selectively don't have the chance to attend non-selective schools. (That's even before we get onto whether or not attending a grammar school is actually an advantage for those selected, whether it is a good way to allocate publically provided resources and whether we even have the tests that can select appropriately.)
    Sorry are you saying that children in areas with Grammar schools don't have the chance to go to the local comprehensive? Is that so?
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

semi-arbitrarily? Wasn't immigration control one of the big themes of the referendum?
    Well, I say that because every Vote Leaver who discussed immigration couldn't say quickly enough how hugely in favour of immigration they were and we have had on here a lot of the "it wasn't about immigration" stuff. Polls as you say suggest otherwise but Leavers seem to get quite touchy about it. "It's not immigration it's who controls it"...etc - ie, it's about immigration.
  • Options
    taffys said:

The euro is quite weak in the crosses. Little has been made on here of capital flight from Italy in recent days.

It would simply be too, too delicious, if there was a euro crisis and the pound became a safe haven because we are leaving.

We're not leaving the Euro since we were never a member.

Our issue in a Euro crisis would be that our largest single trading partner had just blown up and our banks were neck deep in exposure.
  • Options

was dismissed with hand-waving*.

But I was told hand-waving doesn't mean dismiss!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    IanB2 said:

Indigo said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

But I meant - what alternative do the leavers have (as voters) if the government collectively goes down such a path?
    As a voter if the deal smells bad enough they will probably stay on the sofa. If the government is incautious to support a really crap sounding deal before the corpse of UKIP is properly buried, a resurrection isn't out of the question either.

The problem for the government will be how it handles FoM, its what really gets the voters goats and will be the one that will get UKIP off the mortuary slab if the government looks like it is going wobbly on it.

My point though was that EEA is a respectable step on the journey, you can see how we could pause there for a decade, negotiate our own FTA, make friends, develop new non-EU markets etc, before maybe choosing to loosen the ties further. Staying in the Customs Union doesn't do that for us, it feels more like a destination not a waypoint, and that is probably going to go down poorly in the country.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Ipsos: is there a scottish sub? You know, just for giggles.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

No. Loony surge.
    The loonies too are split. A big bust up with both sides accusing the other of being sensible.
    anyone seen john loonie? doesn't seem to have been on
  • Options
    stodge said:

Averaging polls from 1990?
    That's pretty desperate stuff even from you.
    "Poll averaging - the last refuge of the scoundrel"
    Just put it there rather than quote any one of the 3. MORI/Times , ICM/Guardian and
    Gallup/Telegraph. LD 14,9,14

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Con 47%
    Lab 29%

I agree, which means this poll is quite close to that fairytale election result I posited a few days back. Something like

Giving a result of

Tories: 408
    Labour: 118
    Lib Dems: 5
    UKIP: 0
    Greens: 1
    SNP: 49
    I think the Libs might sneak into double figures and get a dozen seats, but otherwise I'd agree with that.
    Add in boundary reforms, a couple more years of Corbyn and a modest Lib Dem recovery and it's possible after a 2018 or 19 election the SNP could be Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition.

From memory that happened once in Canada with BQ.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    edited October 2016
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

(snip)

To this observer, the pro-Trump, or should that be anti-HRC elements are making the same mistake the REMAIN side made in the EU Referendum. While I have heard loads of vitriol explaining why I shouldn't vote for HRC, I've heard almost nothing saying why I should vote FOR Trump.

As with REMAIN, Trump plays to the fear and to the anger but offers nothing positive or hopeful. There's something about cutting taxes and making America "great again" (whatever that means) but the personalisation of the message (I'm Donald, I know what I'm doing) is almost as bad as Cameron's which was essentially "Trust me, I'm Dave".

Good point. Clinton vs. Trump is not really Remain vs. Leave, as some here have suggested, but Remain vs. Remain.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jack Blanchard
    @Jack_Blanchard_

A great day for the Conservatives methinks.
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, I agree entirely. Leaving the customs union is the most obvious black and white issue there is regarding the EU.

Mr. T, I think the only time since the War a party got a majority of the vote was in the early fifties. The Conservatives got just over 50% of the vote [Labour won the election].
  • Options
    taffys said:

I read that the flows are into Germany. Not quite reached the crisis point of a few years ago but could?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

My personal view is that the championing of 'free trade deals' was a post-hoc rationalisation by the Leavers. They recognised that the economic arguments were massively on the Remain side, and so convinced themselves that there was some vaguely-defined pot of trade-gold which we could magically access by free trade deals. The fact that there is no evidence of this, and a lot of evidence to the contrary (see, for example the point @rcs1000 has made here that there are very, very few significant trade deals between the G20 states other than the big blocs) was dismissed with hand-waving*.

Now that the referendum has been won by the Leavers, they don't actually need that pretence any more, and of course the government has to deal with reality. The reality is that business is very worried; in particular, our car industry is simply not viable without tariff-free and largely hassle-free trade in its cross-border intra-EU supply chain.

I don't know how this will play out, but I wouldn't rule out the Customs Union idea.

Yes, agree. My point about May "semi-arbitrarily" fixing on immigration is that it is obvious that the govt will choose the path of media-portrayable least resistance. It is equally obvious that other solutions or priorities will be equally arbitrary. It looks not a little as though they are starting from a blank sheet of paper and wondering what they can get away with.
  • Options

Mr. Indigo, I agree entirely. Leaving the customs union is the most obvious black and white issue there is regarding the EU.

Mr. T, I think the only time since the War a party got a majority of the vote was in the early fifties. The Conservatives got just over 50% of the vote [Labour won the election].

They got close, 49.7% in 55, but never 50%+ since the war. Also it would be very strange for a party to get 50%+ and not have the most seats.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Jack Blanchard
    @Jack_Blanchard_

A great day for the Conservatives methinks.
    i don't think that's a good idea seumas
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    SeanT said:

Frankly, considering the last month the government's had, I'm surprised the Lib Dems aren't doing better - they certainly are in local by-elections - but all the same, the polls keep churning out single-figure scores.

The polls suggest that the LibDems may improve on their 6.8% in Witney to maybe 8 or 9%. From what has been said on here I would guess that the polls are wrong (it has been known).
    The consensus here seems to be that the LibDems will come second, leapfrogging UKIP and Labour and getting maybe 20%. That would seem good progress and would be in line with what has happened in their 20 or so Council gains.
    If you mean that they don't have a hope of winning - well that seems to be stating the obvious, to go from 6.8% and fourth place to beat the incumbent party's 60% would seem impossible. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that anything like that has happened in the past, it would be a political earthquake.
  • Options
    Re: Cleaning up after Osborne.
    We have had the scrapping of Osborne's pension change, will we next have some rolling back of some of the BTL changes?
    I hear that the rate of new BTL's has rapidly fallen in recent weeks. One mortgage advisor says it is down 2/3 year on year.
  • Options

Just put it there rather than quote any one of the 3. MORI/Times , ICM/Guardian and
    Gallup/Telegraph. LD 14,9,14

I think OGH would tell us these old polls are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard given the methodologies used at the time.

I don't dispute the task facing the LDs in Witney - my contention is trying to use national polls to work out by-election results is fraught with peril.
  • Options

Re: Cleaning up after Osborne.
    We have had the scrapping of Osborne's pension change, will we next have some rolling back of some of the BTL changes?
    I hear that the rate of new BTL's has rapidly fallen in recent weeks. One mortgage advisor says it is down 2/3 year on year.

Only one part of the change. That of creating a secondary market for annuities. The major change (taking a lump sum) is unaltered as far as I can see.
  • Options
    PM approval, 3 mths in

Thatcher +2
    Major +44(!)
    Blair +59(!!)
    Brown +18
    Cameron + 24

May +16

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/788750406298005504
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Lib Dems are tallying 7% in the polls because they are being forgotten about. If something happens to make the public not forget about them, they might well rise quite a bit in the polls.

A moderate performance in a by-election is not, however, going to do the trick. They really need to win one.
  • Options

SeanT said:

The polls suggest that the LibDems may improve on their 6.8% in Witney to maybe 8 or 9%. From what has been said on here I would guess that the polls are wrong (it has been known).
    The consensus here seems to be that the LibDems will come second, leapfrogging UKIP and Labour and getting maybe 20%. That would seem good progress and would be in line with what has happened in their 20 or so Council gains.
    If you mean that they don't have a hope of winning - well that seems to be stating the obvious, to go from 6.8% and fourth place to beat the incumbent party's 60% would seem impossible. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that anything like that has happened in the past, it would be a political earthquake.
    Applying a national poll to a by election seems to be a bit of a silly idea. It would indeed be a monumental event if the Lib Dems did win the by election!
  • Options

Quick reaction, yes a bigger share of the vote for the Conservatives, Labour and the Lib Dems. I expect UKIP vote to slip back, late with candidate and little sign on the ground.
    ... and in a 'death spiral' according to Steven Woolfe
  • Options

We have had the scrapping of Osborne's pension change,

No, just one minor aspect of it.
  • Options
    When is the Hoey or Benn vote?
  • Options
    Mr. D, too busy(ish) to check, but it seems the longer the previous PM or other Party was in power, the higher the approval rating. Not a perfect correlation but there does seem to be something of a pattern.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

(snip)

To this observer, the pro-Trump, or should that be anti-HRC elements are making the same mistake the REMAIN side made in the EU Referendum. While I have heard loads of vitriol explaining why I shouldn't vote for HRC, I've heard almost nothing saying why I should vote FOR Trump.

As with REMAIN, Trump plays to the fear and to the anger but offers nothing positive or hopeful. There's something about cutting taxes and making America "great again" (whatever that means) but the personalisation of the message (I'm Donald, I know what I'm doing) is almost as bad as Cameron's which was essentially "Trust me, I'm Dave".

Good point. Clinton vs. Trump is not really Remain vs. Leave, as some here have suggested, but Remain vs. Remain.
    Quite. I can't recall hearing anything positive from either side. Trump's main pitch is largely that he isn't HRC, but cloaked with some MAGA populism. HRC's main pitch is that she isn't Donald Trump, and that incase we missed it, she has ovaries.

Trump hasn't given us any clues as to real (non-fanciful) policies that will actually MAGA, and HRC hasn't given us any policies that will do anything for the disaffected and dispossessed.

For me its HRC this time, although will rather less of a landslide than her cheerleaders are suggesting, but on the merit of not being Trump, which means in 2020 when her opponent isn't Trump either, and the same mass of people are even more pissed off with corporatist managed decline managerialism, she's toast.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Jobabob said:

Let's flag it.

Interesting. I'm sure Windsor Davies would have approved.
    As I said much of military slang in my day was derived from Hindi or Urdu and most of the rest from Arabic. From what I can tell it still is. The script writers of "It ain't half hot , Mum" were just reflecting what was most certainly the case in India in WW2.

Of course, Tommy Atkins was capable of the most appalling butchery of those languages and usually managed to mispronounce the words he adopted or to change their meaning. See, "Dhobi" as an example.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Con 47%
    Lab 29%

Giving a result of

I think the Libs might sneak into double figures and get a dozen seats, but otherwise I'd agree with that.
    Add in boundary reforms, a couple more years of Corbyn and a modest Lib Dem recovery and it's possible after a 2018 or 19 election the SNP could be Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition.

From memory that happened once in Canada with BQ.
    The SNP should expect a few losses at the next GE. Far too many seats to defend and they have 3 opponents who now know which seats their best chances in. Also the SNP in Govt will have a long record to defend. A form of unionist unofficial target list could spring 6 - 10* seats to the unionist 3 parties?

*depending on boundaries and seat totals
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,475

Mr Dancer - no party post war has exceeded 50%, closest was Eden's Conservatives in 55 with 49.7%. Four years earlier Churchill won a majority with 48% against Attlee's 48.8%.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    SeanT said:

Giving a result of

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be some swingback towards the Government by the time of the next election.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/marco-rubio-stay-silent-wikileaks-229977

has ol marco lost some emails d'ye reckon? or found a principle?

People on this website pay as much attention to politico as they do to breitbart - somewhere between not very much and none at all. So don't waste your time trolling.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

in 2020 when her opponent isn't Trump either, and the same mass of people are even more pissed off with corporatist managed decline managerialism, she's toast.

I hope you are correct and Hilary prevails.

in that case 2020 really does depend on the republicans putting up someone sane. ted cruz isn't going to work
  • Options
    Ah, seems I was mistaken on the electoral high water mark. I stand corrected. Sorry, everyone.

Still, at least it was only on the frivolous matter of current events rather than something important, like the relative merits of Hannibal and Caesar in generalship.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But some on here have been suggesting exactly that: a Lib Dem win. Pah.

I agree with you, they will significantly improve their vote, but not by enough to change perceptions of them, and soon it will be all forgotten.
    What is your prediction?
    Here's what rcs1000 predicted.

<5% - Utter disaster, Farron must be under considerable pressure
    5-8% - Bad result, LDs threw a lot at it
    8-12% - OK result, went forward from the General, but not showing much progress
    12-18% - This is the par result. This is what they should be achieving to even hope to get 6-10 seats at the General election
    18-24% - Good progress, and almost certainly means that they are a solid second place behind the Conservatives. It also indicates the LD by-election machine is beginning to work again.
    24+% - This is a genuinely good result for the LDs, and they can go into future by-elections (such as Richmond Park, if Zac resigns) with a degree of confidence

I think that the LibDems could get 25%, with UKIP losing their deposit and the Tories losing 5% to 55%.
  • Options

The Lib Dems are tallying 7% in the polls because they are being forgotten about. If something happens to make the public not forget about them, they might well rise quite a bit in the polls.

A moderate performance in a by-election is not, however, going to do the trick. They really need to win one.

Indeed and past leaders have needed the fillip of a by election win as a kind of "badge of honour". Eastbourne was Paddy's moment and marked the end of the disastrous post-1987 election period. After that, the Party was to an extent back in the game and had a very real prospect of holding the balance of power (as it seemed) at the 1992 GE.

For Charles Kennedy, Romsey was his big moment. The Party threw a lot of time and effort into the seat and suffered Council losses the same time but winning the seat from the Conservatives made the news and illustrated how far back Hague still was and paved the way for the 2001 election disaster.

Menzies Campbell had his moment with Jo Swinson's win in East Dumbarton in early 2006 but regrettably it didn't turn out well for him. Nick Clegg never had a by election win on that scale and now Tim Farron needs to make his mark.

I'll leave the non-LDs on here to play the expectations management game for the LDs as they seem to enjoy it. Perhaps I should play the Conservative expectation game - on the national polls, the Conservatives should romp home with an increased majority on 70% of the vote. Anything less will clearly be a huge setback for Mrs May.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    47!!!!

Paging TSE - this is what it is like to have a party leader with an ear for the British people and the guts to leave the EU...

47%!!!

Con gain Bootle.
  • Options

Indigo said:

in 2020 when her opponent isn't Trump either, and the same mass of people are even more pissed off with corporatist managed decline managerialism, she's toast.

I hope you are correct and Hilary prevails.

in that case 2020 really does depend on the republicans putting up someone sane. ted cruz isn't going to work
    George P. Bush
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,463
    edited October 2016
    The LibDems have saved only one Westminster deposit this parliament, at Sheffield Brightside.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

They are also tallying 7% because a uncompromising pro-EU wishy washy wet party will attract that level of support in the populace.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

FPT

Scott_P said:
    "designed" lol
    In no small part yes. It was both the drop and the accompanying message that the Bank was going to keep rates low and would not raise them even if inflation rises. The market had baked in pre-referendum an expectation that it was a case of when not if the Bank started to raise interest rates.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Fannying about with the tealeaves of LDs getting 8% vs 18% in Witney is utter folly.

Losers on course to lose again is the summary.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

47!!!!

Paging TSE - this is what it is like to have a party leader with an ear for the British people and the guts to leave the EU...

47%!!!

Con gain Bootle.

Pah. Dave got the Tories to 52% with Ipsos Mori once.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

47!!!!

47%!!!

Con gain Bootle.

As he once said, he was the future once.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

47!!!!

47%!!!

Con gain Bootle.

But whither the Posh Boy?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options

I seem to remember that Roy Jenkins was called the 'victor of Warrington' after losing a by-election.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrington_by-election,_1981
  • Options
    I would love it if the Eccentric Party won Witney!

Eccentric Party :lol::lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witney_by-election,_2016
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

People on this website pay as much attention to politico as they do to breitbart - somewhere between not very much and none at all. So don't waste your time trolling.
    oh, ok, I don't know about politico. I came across it on twitter and it was one of the top google hits. It seemed legit, though prepared to be corrected.
  • Options
    @Mortimer

Though I am sceptical of the polIs generally, I agree that 47% is an astonishing result for a governing party. I suspect it might be due to UKIP losing supporters hand over fist now that their job is done. So perhaps this is more due to Conservative voters returning home as it were than any increase in actual support
  • Options

Mortimer said:

47!!!!

47%!!!

Con gain Bootle.

Not while in govt, IIRC?
  • Options
    Science has revealed the musicological derivative of Mr. Eagles' brainwaves when Cameron resigned:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGwIaL0jOUg
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,801
    edited October 2016

Repost this. Staying in the Customs Union should be a no-brainer if we leave the Single Market

ADVANTAGES of REMAINING in CUSTOM UNION
    1. Tariff -free transit of industrial goods with the EU/EEA (but not services or agriculture)
    2. Ready-made set of free trade agreements with third party countries already negotiated by the EU. DIY will result in a long gap while the new deals are negotiated. The EU has more market clout than the UK to get better deals
    3. Much lower burden and cost of red tape. Exporters with supply chains don’t require origination certification for the components nor for finished products
    4. UK negotiators can concentrate on the key EU and WTO arrangements. They are spread too thin to take on third country negotiations as well.
    5. Early commitment to a Customs Union would remove uncertainty for investment in UK industrials (think Nissan in Sunderland).
    6. BONUS advantage! Possible redundancy for Liam Fox. The UK would still be able to negotiate Free Trade Agreements with third countries, but is presumably constrained to the import tariffs already set by the EU.

ADVANTAGES of LEAVING the CUSTOM UNION
    1. The UK can unilaterally reduce its import duties allowing them to compete better with EU countries on price for finished products to third countries. A partial compensation for the barriers to EU trade.
    2. The UK may be more flexible in negotiating deals with third countries and so may have a higher chance of success than the EU for deals still to be signed.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

Just goes to show these figures are ENTIRELY unrelated to, and no predictor of, subsequent performance and popularity.

The least popular, Thatcher, is now the most admired PM in modern history.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/08/10/cameron-best-prime-minister-since-thatcher/

https://twitter.com/peoplesmomentum/status/788337833669001216
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DanielJHannan: I'm happy to compromise on keeping aspects of the single market (eg non-discrimination). But staying in the Common External Tariff is crazy.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

47!!!!

47%!!!

Con gain Bootle.

Not while in govt, IIRC?
    Was back in September 2008:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2010_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    edited October 2016

@Mortimer

Though I am sceptical of the polIs generally, I agree that 47% is an astonishing result for a governing party. I suspect it might be due to UKIP losing supporters hand over fist now that their job is done. So perhaps this is more due to Conservative voters returning home as it were than any increase in actual support

Tanks on all lawns captures a lot of votes.

My luvvie mate on FB who went all Godwins law on the Tory party conference is going to hate this. Nearly half the population support the Tories.

In GOVERNMENT.

Where is AVE'IT when you need him?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,801
    edited October 2016
    deleted.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

oh, ok, I don't know about politico. I came across it on twitter and it was one of the top google hits. It seemed legit, though prepared to be corrected.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/card/marco-rubio-warns-republicans-dont-talk-about-wikileaks-n668746

other msm sources available
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672
    On the customs union I think it is possible the U.K. stays in it for Goods (a la Turkey) whilst retaining some latitude to negotiate on services and non-tariff barriers outwith it, but it would mean obeying all EU rules on product standards without having a say.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

@Mortimer

Tanks on all lawns captures a lot of votes.

My luvvie mate on FB who went all Godwins law on the Tory party conference is going to hate this. Nearly half the population support the Tories.

In GOVERNMENT.

Where is AVE'IT when you need him?
    "Corbyn = MUPPET!!!"
  • Options
    Mr. 43, you've missed off that the EU deals are there to suit the EU as a whole. A deal (even with us in) that helps Italy, Slovenia and France but harms us would be seen as a positive.

The advantage of our own deals is that they're done in the British national interest, not the EU interest.

With us out (if we leave...), the EU will be even less inclined to care if the deals they negotiate on our behalf harm us and help the EU.
  • Options
    Mr. Mortimer, isn't Ave It now a Number Ten adviser?
  • Options

On the customs union I think it is possible the U.K. stays in it for Goods (a la Turkey) whilst retaining some latitude to negotiate on services and non-tariff barriers outwith it, but it would mean obeying all EU rules on product standards without having a say.

Won't it also mean the UK has to enforce EU tariffs.

Defeats the ENTIRE point of Brexit for me.
This discussion has been closed.