Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Smith backer, Don Brind is amused to find himself on the same

Comments

• Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Clinton going for Arizona

Michelle Obama will campaign for Hillary Clinton in Arizona soon, a top Democrat tells @jeffzeleny.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

Johnson collapse to Mcmullin.

Politics1.com – ‏@Politics1com

P2016 UT (Rasmussen): Trump 30%, McMullin 29%, Clinton: 28%, Johnson 5%, Stein 1%

Wow, a proper 3-way marginal. Anyone know when was the last time a third party actually won a State?
    If the Wikpedia article on Ross Perot can be believed:
    Robert La Follette had 13 in 1924, Strom Thurmond had 39 in 1948, George Wallace had 46 in 1968 and John Hospers won one in 1972, albeit from a faithless elector.
    Obviously that is electoral college votes, not states!
    Wallace in '68 then, 48 years ago!

Thanks (and to others with the same reply).
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

taffys said:

Why does the "caring" liberal left do this shit? What's wrong with them?

Left Liberal caring has to be visible.

Millions of carers look after relatives behind closed doors. They never get helped because nobody is there to see it.

I am intrigued that it is the liberal left's fault the Conservative government has allowed some refugees who appear not to be children into the country.

It sure wasn't Nigel Farage.
    It was as much him as the so-called "liberal left".
  • Options

taffys said:

Millions of carers look after relatives behind closed doors. They never get helped because nobody is there to see it.

I am intrigued that it is the liberal left's fault the Conservative government has allowed some refugees who appear not to be children into the country.

I imagine that this action is the product of the Dubs Amendment, and wishing to give a diplomatic sop to the French. Though FWIW, I don't think it's the Tunbridge Wells Conservative Association that's been bellowing at HM Government to let the entire lot in for years and years and years...

The Labour party is utterly enfeebled and 15% behind in the polls. It can't force the government to do anything it doesn't want to do.

• Options
    nunu said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

P2016 UT (Rasmussen): Trump 30%, McMullin 29%, Clinton: 28%, Johnson 5%, Stein 1%

Wow, a proper 3-way marginal. Anyone know when was the last time a third party actually won a State?
    1968. George Wallace won five states.
    I wonder how long it will be before Trump starts attacking McMullin?
    I wonder if Mitt Romney will be out campaigning in Utah for McMullin
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    nunu said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

What would happen if McMullin won the balance? Extremely unlikely as it may be.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    nunu said:

IT's a shame that's RAsmussen otherwise I'd be getting excited about my 25/1
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    This rather puts Trump's ranting at the media into perspective

"In viewing recordings by The Hill of each of the major network news evening newscasts, which are watched by an average 22-24 million viewers each night collectively, the newest batch of Wikileaks revelations — which include derogatory comments of Catholics by senior Clinton campaign officials and more disturbing examples of collusion between the media and said campaign (See: newsworthy stuff) — was covered for a combined 57 seconds out of 66 minutes of total air time on ABC, NBC and CBS.

In a related story, allegations by four women against Donald Trump accusing him of unwanted sexual advances was covered a combined 23 minutes.

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/10/15/stop-complaining-trumps-war-media-hes-right/
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

Lol. I was thinking that the other day, top trolling if he did. Please Mitt if you're reading this do it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

taffys said:

The idea that this government has been forced into doing anything by the utterly enfeebled liberal left is absurd. If the government is admitting adults pretending to be children into country then that is the government's fault.

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Alistair said:

nunu said:

Rasmussen was the most reliable poster for 2004 Bush vs Kerry. Got the national vote spot on and nailed the states.

• Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

Lol. I was thinking that the other day, top trolling if he did. Please Mitt if you're reading this do it.
    I would weep tears of joy for a McMullin endorsement from Romney.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

SeanT said:

taffys said:

The idea that this government has been forced into doing anything by the utterly enfeebled liberal left is absurd. If the government is admitting adults pretending to be children into country then that is the government's fault.

It's political pressure brought on the gov by a liberal/left-biased media.

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

nunu said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

You mean if no-one got a majority of ECVs? The House decides the President and the Senate decides the Vice President. Because America.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

538 had an art the other day pointing out McMullin does have a path to the Presidency: if he wins Utah, and acquires electoral votes, and no other candidate has reached 270, then the House voting by state delegation has to pick one of the top three finishers in the EC. Even if the Dems take the house the GOP will probably still control the majority of delegations so if the House GOP decide Trump is too dangerous to be POTUS, they could conceivably elect McMullin.

Even more bizarrely, the VP in such a situation is elected by the Senate, but only from the top two finishers, so if the Dems win control of the Senate, it's possible that the President and VP would come from different tickets, for the first time since 1800.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-evan-mcmullin-could-win-utah-and-the-presidency/?ex_cid=2016-forecast

Tho I expect it would cause a constitutional crisis so big he wouldn't actually become president.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

Rasmussen was the most reliable poster for 2004 Bush vs Kerry. Got the national vote spot on and nailed the states.

That's 12 years ago now.
  • Options

SeanT said:

taffys said:

It's political pressure brought on the gov by a liberal/left-biased media.

Ha, ha - I should have known that!! :-D
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

nunu said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

Intriguing piece on 538 by Benjamin Morris setting out how McMullin could become President if he won Utah. Highly unlikely scenario obviously but it answers your question.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    PlatoSaid said:

"In viewing recordings by The Hill of each of the major network news evening newscasts, which are watched by an average 22-24 million viewers each night collectively, the newest batch of Wikileaks revelations — which include derogatory comments of Catholics by senior Clinton campaign officials and more disturbing examples of collusion between the media and said campaign (See: newsworthy stuff) — was covered for a combined 57 seconds out of 66 minutes of total air time on ABC, NBC and CBS.

In a related story, allegations by four women against Donald Trump accusing him of unwanted sexual advances was covered a combined 23 minutes.

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/10/15/stop-complaining-trumps-war-media-hes-right/

Please could you tell us more about these unwanted sexual advances?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. T, it's remarkable to observe the persistent, perhaps widening, gulf between broadcast media (almost wholly sympathetic) with public opinion.

Mr. Eagles, is he a Mormon? Not Romney, t'other fellow.

If he is, that might prove handy given the state's demographics.
  • Options
    I'm sure we've all done it

Court News
    Muslim builder denies any knowledge of PE4 explosives in his garage in Wembley https://t.co/P2BZEbRCek
  • Options

Mr. T, it's remarkable to observe the persistent, perhaps widening, gulf between broadcast media (almost wholly sympathetic) with public opinion.

Yes, he's a Mormon just like Romney
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    PlatoSaid said:

You know they're selling advertising, right? Guess which one brings in the most eyeballs: "Trump the sex predator" or "Catholics are silly".
  • Options
    Sean Spicer
    holy smokes, actually use phrase "quid pr quo" :State Department pressured FBI to unclassify @HillaryClinton emails
    https://t.co/DFjkTuWQBs
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ManfredWeber: #BorisJohnson is an unscrupulous careerist and opportunist without conviction. If he has any decency, he will step down. #Brexit @EPPGroup

@JeremyCliffe: Angela Merkel's man in Brussels there. twitter.com/ManfredWeber/s…
  • Options

There are Mormons in Utah???
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    619 said:

Michelle Obama will campaign for Hillary Clinton in Arizona soon, a top Democrat tells @jeffzeleny.

I have to say, that Michelle Obama is bloody amazing. Fancy having her in your back drawer if you need it. Even Plato's endless, obsessional trawling of the murky internet would struggle to come up with anything about the first Lady.

Another low point of the Trump campaign is the amount of negativity thrown against Bill. One of the positive features of US democracy is the bi partisan esteem they have always held for their ex-presidents personally. Even Nixon was rehabilitated. Trump has completely demolished that etiquette sadly.

Anyway, it'll all be finished soon , and Plato will have to identify some other cause to champion. Maybe saving badgers.....one can only hope.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, cheers.

Assuming he's neither a liar nor a lunatic, I hope he gets the gig. It'd be amusing to see both Alien and Predator lose.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

There are Mormons in Utah???
    Yes, there are one or two Mormons in Utah.
  • Options
    Mr. Alistair, I assume that's sarcasm, but if not (and for others interested), Mormons comprise a majority of the state's population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited October 2016

Lots of Mormons in the states neighbouring Utah too. Not sure if McMullin's on the ballot there, but if he is, he could take enough votes from Nevada (already leaning Dem) and Arizona (very much a toss-up) to give them to Clinton.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

nunu said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

Intriguing piece on 538 by Benjamin Morris setting out how McMullin could become President if he won Utah. Highly unlikely scenario obviously but it answers your question.
    Ha, yes that's entirely possible. Unlikely but not impossible.
  • Options

Mr. Alistair, I assume that's sarcasm, but if not (and for others interested), Mormons comprise a majority of the state's population.

I'm straining not to mention something sarcastic about Italy and Catholics here. You should be glad that I'm blessed with heroic self-control.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited October 2016
    tyson said:

619 said:

I have to say, that Michelle Obama is bloody amazing. Fancy having her in your back drawer if you need it. Even Plato's endless, obsessional trawling of the murky internet would struggle to come up with anything about the first Lady.

Another low point of the Trump campaign is the amount of negativity thrown against Bill. One of the positive features of US democracy is the bi partisan esteem they have always held for their ex-presidents personally. Even Nixon was rehabilitated. Trump has completely demolished that etiquette sadly.

Anyway, it'll all be finished soon , and Plato will have to identify some other cause to champion. Maybe saving badgers.....one can only hope.
    Hmm, he hasn't exactly been complementary about Dubya either - not really a partisan issue wrt Bill. But he does like "Honest Abe" :)

I can see Michelle Obama being POTUS at some point in the future, she's been an excellent first lady.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    F1: having conducted my in-depth, serious and not at all procrastinating perusal of the US markets (F1, obviously, not this political silliness), here are the ones I picked out as potentially interesting.

Ricciardo, win each way, 13 (each way = 1/3 the odds for top 2). He's been top 2 at 3/5 last races. Red Bull appears ahead of Ferrari and certainly has better strategy calls. Verstappen isn't quite as reliably quick as Ricciardo.

Red Bull, top scoring team, 5.5. Hamilton's on a dreadful run and reliability is still a concern for the Silver Arrows (likewise their starts).

Of those, I'd probably prefer the Ricciardo bet. Not sure if I'll put a pound or two on it myself this early. Most of my early bets (although not every one) has been red this year.

Edited extra bit: put a small sum on Ricciardo.
  • Options
    Nice use of film-footage against Trump footage. Would have been better without the HRC section at the end, IMHO.
    https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/787982885844385793
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

619 said:

Hmm, he hasn't exactly been complementary about Dubya either - not really a partisan issue wrt Bill. But he does like "Honest Abe" :)

I can see Michelle Obama being POTUS at some point in the future, she's been an excellent first lady.
    Shame, but:
    Here's Why Michelle Obama Will Never Run for President
    http://fortune.com/2016/07/26/michelle-obama-legacy/
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

619 said:

She has already said she doesn't want to be Potus, as she has already had enough of the way it impinges on family life – although I guess it's possible that she might change her mind when the girls reach adulthood.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

SeanT said:

FFS. Some of them are clearly in their 20s. Even early 30s.

I inagine most Brits had an image of vulnerable 8 year olds. I know I did.
    At least they've all had a shave so they look a bit younger.

BTW, Am I the only PBer who has never seen any of the Godfather films?
    I haven't either. And I have no intention of watching them either.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

OllyT said:

nunu said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

Ha, yes that's entirely possible. Unlikely but not impossible.
    More likely, though, if the EC is hung, there's no majority of states in Congress for Clinton or Trump, and the Republicans hold the Senate, is that 17 Republican states will abstain in Congress so that there's no quorum. Then the Senate will choose Mike Pence as "acting president". I believe that he could then be made president by Congress - one congressperson one vote this time - not under the 12th amendment but under the 20th. Betfair might wait for that last bit before paying out on Pence.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I'm sure we've all done it

Court News
    Muslim builder denies any knowledge of PE4 explosives in his garage in Wembley https://t.co/P2BZEbRCek

That awkward moment when you want to get Call of Duty on the PS4 but a typo on Amazon sends you explosives instead ...
  • Options
    What the Hell?

"One interesting revelation in the document came from an interview with an unnamed individual, who suggested that Freedom of Information Act requests related to Clinton went through a group sometimes called "the Shadow Government."

"There was a powerful group of very high-ranking STATE officials that some referred to as 'The 7th Floor Group' or 'The Shadow Government.' This group met every Wednesday afternoon to discuss the FOIA process, Congressional records, and everything CLINTON-related to FOIA/Congressional inquiries," the FBI's interview summary said.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/17/fbi-releases-100-new-pages-on-clinton-email-probe.html
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715

SeanT said:

I think there are enough of us to call us a Social Movement.

• Options

It's been suggested that, allegations of sexual misconduct aside, part of the reason for Trump's unpopularity in Utah is his anti-Muslim rhetoric. For historical reasons, Mormons are sensitive about the repression of religious minorities.
  • Options
    And that's reassuring too

Court finds GCHQ and MI5 engaged in illegal bulk data collection https://t.co/onIYk4Z5tr via @theregister
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited October 2016

SeanT said:

Really, Mr. J? You may wish to reconsider. Nevermind the second and third films, which I think are rubbish, the first is a masterpiece. A good, if disturbing, story well told. When your good lady is out at work and the little one is safely asleep for the duration and with a glass of something favoured (are you still off the good news?), settle down and watch a great film.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-evan-mcmullin-could-win-utah-and-the-presidency/?ex_cid=2016-forecast

Tho I expect it would cause a constitutional crisis so big he wouldn't actually become president.
    Fascinating article for politics obsessives.
    If it did come about it shouldn't cause a constitutional crisis.
    Gore got more votes than Bush, but Bush got more EC votes and that's what counts under the US Constitution. The McMullin scenario is just more extreme, but still constitutional ;-)
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

What the Hell?

"One interesting revelation in the document came from an interview with an unnamed individual, who suggested that Freedom of Information Act requests related to Clinton went through a group sometimes called "the Shadow Government."

"There was a powerful group of very high-ranking STATE officials that some referred to as 'The 7th Floor Group' or 'The Shadow Government.' This group met every Wednesday afternoon to discuss the FOIA process, Congressional records, and everything CLINTON-related to FOIA/Congressional inquiries," the FBI's interview summary said.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/17/fbi-releases-100-new-pages-on-clinton-email-probe.html

Are they lizards?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

SeanT said:

Really, Mr. J? You may wish to reconsider. Nevermind the second and third films, which I think are rubbish, the first is a masterpiece. A good, if disturbing, story well told. When your good lady is out at work and the little one is safely asleep for the duration and with a glass of something favoured (are you still off the good news?), settle down and watch a great film.
    As you say, the first film is a masterpiece. If films that good came out every year, we would be spoiled.
  • Options
    Mr. Chris, aye, I remember hearing that somewhere or other.

Miss Plato, that's the problem the US electorate faces. Both candidates are very disliked, and rightly so.

It's like Kang versus Kodos.
  • Options
    Chris said:

It's been suggested that, allegations of sexual misconduct aside, part of the reason for Trump's unpopularity in Utah is his anti-Muslim rhetoric. For historical reasons, Mormons are sensitive about the repression of religious minorities.
    And Utahns had the Mormon Romney to vote for last time, so why not vote for the Mormon McMullin this time?
  • Options
    The "child" refugees reminds me of the scene from the inbetweeners...

Will: Going to an under-18s disco where she works, so unfortunately you can't come.
    Wolfie: I can go.
    Will: What?
    Wolfie: I can go, I'm 17.
    Will: You're 17?!
    Wolfie: Yeah, I just look older.
    Will: There's looking older and then there's that! You look about 30!
  • Options
    Whoo hoo. £700 tax rebate. And my wife has a permanent job. A good Monday. Though the worst thing about the tax rebate is that it was my wife who opened the letter so 'I' have already spent it on paint and carpet for the spare room.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Lots of Mormons in the states neighbouring Utah too. Not sure if McMullin's on the ballot there, but if he is, he could take enough votes from Nevada (already leaning Dem) and Arizona (very much a toss-up) to give them to Clinton.
    He's available to write in in Arizona, but unavailable in Nevada.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Yeah. It just doesn't interest me and I've read enough about it and seen enough clips for it to have been spoilt before it begins.

Gangster films - even good ones - don't interest me. The only worse genre are court procedurals, which bore me to tears.

Then again, my favourite film is probably Highlander, so I probably don't have *any* taste. :)
  • Options

Whoo hoo. £700 tax rebate. And my wife has a permanent job. A good Monday. Though the worst thing about the tax rebate is that it was my wife who opened the letter so 'I' have already spent it on paint and carpet for the spare room.

:)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2016
    Evening all.

‘The Godfather analogy inspires the hope that the next time will be more successful.’

Sorry Don, but Jeremy is even further embedded than before the disastrous ‘Save Labour’ campaign. I’m afraid your dream of a second successful attempt, sleeps with the fishes.

• Options

Mr. Chris, aye, I remember hearing that somewhere or other.

Miss Plato, that's the problem the US electorate faces. Both candidates are very disliked, and rightly so.

It's like Kang versus Kodos.

Not so. Hillary is about -10 fav/unfav. Negative, but to say she is "very disliked" is just yet more "plague one both their houses" rightwing mythology.

Trump is approaching -30. Your "very disliked" claim probably suits him.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/hillary-clinton-favorable-rating

https://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/donald-trump-favorable-rating
  • Options
    edited October 2016

The "child" refugees reminds me of the scene from the inbetweeners...

Will: Going to an under-18s disco where she works, so unfortunately you can't come.
    Wolfie: I can go.
    Will: What?
    Wolfie: I can go, I'm 17.
    Will: You're 17?!
    Wolfie: Yeah, I just look older.
    Will: There's looking older and then there's that! You look about 30!

When I was 22 I was on Kinder Scout in snow. I talked to a chap somewhere near the Downfall, and he thought I was Chris Bonnington! He's only forty years older than me. He must have been under some severe delusion.

Then again, I might have looked something like this:
    http://www.britishwalks.org/walks/walk_pics/Digital/20011228/HTML/PC280295.php

(I still occasionally use that coat and balaclava. They've probably done well over 10,000 miles with me)
  • Options

SeanT said:

You are missing out. I resisted them for years, expecting like most fanboy cult films they would be hugely disappointing in the flesh. They weren't. They are beautifully made pictures, underpinned by brilliant character development and wonderful storytelling.

See also Once Upon a Time in America.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

And that's reassuring too

Court finds GCHQ and MI5 engaged in illegal bulk data collection https://t.co/onIYk4Z5tr via @theregister

Bloody Hell! Well done to those that brought the case, and great to see judges with a spine to find against the govt on something so serious.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

taffys said:

I imagine that this action is the product of the Dubs Amendment, and wishing to give a diplomatic sop to the French. Though FWIW, I don't think it's the Tunbridge Wells Conservative Association that's been bellowing at HM Government to let the entire lot in for years and years and years...

The Labour party is utterly enfeebled and 15% behind in the polls. It can't force the government to do anything it doesn't want to do.

Point conceded. Have been trying to get my head around what the Government thinks it is playing at to be honest, with all these pictures of suspiciously mature-looking "boys" appearing all over the media. Where are all the children? Where are all the girls?

Am I the only one who's thinking this may be aimed at trying deliberately to increase public scepticism about immigration and asylum?
  • Options
    Whomever wins, the US elections are dirty business

https://youtu.be/5IuJGHuIkzY
  • Options

taffys said:

Point conceded. Have been trying to get my head around what the Government thinks it is playing at to be honest, with all these pictures of suspiciously mature-looking "boys" appearing all over the media. Where are all the children? Where are all the girls?

Am I the only one who's thinking this may be aimed at trying deliberately to increase public scepticism about immigration and asylum?

Or the Daily Mail? There may be a fair few photos that weren't taken that could have been.

• Options

taffys said:

I hope your theory is correct, Mr. Rook. The alternative is that the authorities are massively incompetent and I am not sure that is at all good.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Perhaps these child refugees are professional footballers:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2655807-26-nigerian-footballers-reportedly-fail-age-test-after-fifa-u17-world-cup-win

Why couldn't MRI scans be considered for the refugees to help establish their ages?

The question of how many refugees to take in needs to be split from the question of which refugees to take in.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2016

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2655807-26-nigerian-footballers-reportedly-fail-age-test-after-fifa-u17-world-cup-win

Why couldn't MRI scans be considered for the refugees to help establish their ages?

The question of how many refugees to take in needs to be split from the question of which refugees to take in.

Problem is MRI scans are not reliable. Even in that Nigerian football scandal, they identified one particular individual as overage, who was actually born and raised in the US and there absolutely no doubt he was the correct age as he has full US records from birth.

There was also a case a few years ago in regards to two Nigerians who had committed a serious crime (I want to say murder) and they claimed they were children when they committed the offence. The judge ordered MRI and other aging techniques and there were inconclusive, but the judge in the end ruled they were adults as certain elements of their story didn't stack up.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Time for the weekly update of the average daily tracking polls:

Hillary 47 nc
    Trump 42 nc

Trump has been rising everyday since Oct.11th today is his best since Oct.5th, Hillary has been stable at or just bellow 47% since Sept. 26th.

In fact with the exception of the Aug.25th-Sept.25th period Hillary has been at 47% since the Conventions, remarkably stable.
    While Trump's rollercoaster goes up and down wildly.

All the weekly updates since the first one just after the conventions:

Hillary 47 47 46.5 46.5 45.5 44.5 45 46 46.5 47 47 45
    Trump 42 42 43.5 43 44 43.5 42 42 41 40.5 41 43
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    tyson said:

619 said:

There is some awful made up shit on the right wing conspiracy sites about her.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

You are missing out. I resisted them for years, expecting like most fanboy cult films they would be hugely disappointing in the flesh. They weren't. They are beautifully made pictures, underpinned by brilliant character development and wonderful storytelling.

Okay, I might just do that when I get enough time without the little 'un (I'm currently having to watch episode after episode of Mr Tumble, which is surely a severe punishment).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited October 2016
    And to think I was opposed to having cameras in our courts

https://twitter.com/JudiciaryUK/status/788046417050890240
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Alistair said:

tyson said:

619 said:

No doubt in the great American Democratic party meritocracy she will be the candidate in 8 years time.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Okay, I might just do that when I get enough time without the little 'un (I'm currently having to watch episode after episode of Mr Tumble, which is surely a severe punishment).
    God I empathise – I hate Mr Tumble too. Yes, the Godfather films are to some extent an anecdote. Watch them on BluRay if you can.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    The 2012 the Obama campaign ran 68 ads in Dothan, Alabama.

It is a TV market that goes cross border into Florida where it has a reach of around 9000 Floridians.

The Obama campaign loved running experiments to see if they moved the dial in their micro-targetting.

If I was a down ticket Republican I would be getting really fucking nervous about now.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

tyson said:

619 said:

No doubt in the great American Democratic party meritocracy she will be the candidate in 8 years time.
    Well in America 8 years seems the appropriate gap.

8 years between the Bushes

24 years between the Adams
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2016

Problem is MRI scans are not reliable. Even in that Nigerian football scandal, they identified one particular individual as overage, who was actually born and raised in the US and there absolutely no doubt he was the correct age as he has full US records from birth.

There was also a case a few years ago in regards to two Nigerians who had committed a serious crime (I want to say murder) and they claimed they were children when they committed the offence. The judge ordered MRI and other aging techniques and there were inconclusive, but the judge in the end ruled they were adults as certain elements of their story didn't stack up.
    If we have the MRI technology, then use it. – I can live with one or two 'hard luck' results.
  • Options
    Mr. Fletcher, congrats :)

Mr. Eagles, cameras in courts are tosh.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Is the English language version of the Insectors still available? I think your little one might still be a bit too young, but in a year or so's time the Insectors will have both you and he giggling uncontrollably, but often at different moments.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Hillary 47 nc
    Trump 42 nc

Trump has been rising everyday since Oct.11th today is his best since Oct.5th, Hillary has been stable at or just bellow 47% since Sept. 26th.

In fact with the exception of the Aug.25th-Sept.25th period Hillary has been at 47% since the Conventions, remarkably stable.
    While Trump's rollercoaster goes up and down wildly.

All the weekly updates since the first one just after the conventions:

Hillary 47 47 46.5 46.5 45.5 44.5 45 46 46.5 47 47 45
    Trump 42 42 43.5 43 44 43.5 42 42 41 40.5 41 43

Hardly a rollercoaster for Trump. In fact both candidates look fairly locked in at a ~4pt race (on those figures)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Believe it or not, when your kids get to 10 years old, like mine, you will start to look back at Mr Tumble quite fondly. And wistfully.
    The need to an adult version. Tumble nights.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Believe it or not, when your kids get to 10 years old, like mine, you will start to look back at Mr Tumble quite fondly. And wistfully.
    You mean it gets worse? (shudder)

A few years back, before the little 'un came along, I met a female friend who seemed really happy. She said she had just had the first day without watching any CBeebies in seven years, as her youngest son had just migrated on to CBBC.

I now know how she feels.

Still, as an antidote for all the TV I took him to the library for an hour this morning, picked a random book, and read him some.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

The need to an adult version. Tumble nights.
    Aunt Polly and Fisherman Timble? Where does he put his rod?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

I quite liked the Thomas the Tank Engine series narrated by Ringo Star as did my son. Mind you he did not get Ivor the Engine or Captain Pugwash.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

And to think I was opposed to having cameras in our courts

https://twitter.com/JudiciaryUK/status/788046417050890240

Surely that's the old fashioned meaning of "video link", as in there's a room next door with a TV and more seats as an overflow for the expected attendance?

As opposed to a live TV broadcast or live stream for general consumption.
  • Options

Then again, my favourite film is probably Highlander, so I probably don't have *any* taste. :)

Coud be worse - could be Highlander II :lol::lol:
  • Options

I went to my best friend's wedding in Utah.

I've given him strict instructions to convince his relatives to vote McMullin.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

tyson said:

619 said:

Could we be on for Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, Clinton, Obama?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

tyson said:

619 said:

Michelle has said she has no interest at all.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

tyson said:

619 said:

24 years for the Clintons (or is it 20?)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Alistair said:

tyson said:

619 said:

Apparently it's all true. Joan Rivers revealed the truth once, but they got to her... ;)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2016

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

I quite liked the Thomas the Tank Engine series narrated by Ringo Star as did my son. Mind you he did not get Ivor the Engine or Captain Pugwash.
    Thomas The Tank Engine you say....who can forget this classic piece.

Classism, sexism, anti-environmentalism bordering on racism:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/thomas-the-tank-engine-children-parents
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

tyson said:

619 said:

i think thats a big adavantage for Clinton, in that she has great surrogates (The Obamas, Sanders, Warren, Joe biden etc). All Trump has are crazies like alex jones and rudy.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Hillary 47 nc
    Trump 42 nc

Those tracking polls are a bit different from the 538 averages, which (with changes from a week ago) are currently:

Clinton: 49.7% (+0.6)
    Trump: 42.7% (-0.5)

That 7 point lead for Clinton appears to be the biggest since late August.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,452
    Whatever Mr Brind is predicting, I guess we should anticipate the opposite happening?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

tyson said:

619 said:

24 years for the Clintons (or is it 20?)
    Assuming Hillary wins, it will be sixteen years, I'm taking the end of Bill's Presidency to the beginning of Hillary's
  • Options
    SeanT said:

taffys said:

Or the Daily Mail? There may be a fair few photos that weren't taken that could have been.

Nope. The photos are from Getty and they are also in the Metro and elsewhere.

It's mind-boggling.

Fair enough. Some of them do look a touch over 16, to say the least.

This discussion has been closed.