Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May doesn’t have a Willie and it shows. She urgently a

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TOPPING said:

Let's keep the hyperbole to a minimum, shall we.

Are you new here?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @MrsB

"... A lot of nice villages and pleasant people, good pubs ..."

Change the word villages for districts and you could say the same about anywhere in England, even Liverpool.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324

News from Witney

Turn out could be low (favours the Party with the enthusiasts?)

Lib Dems have been focusing on Labour's best place Witney. Oodles of window banners and garden posters. Loads of Lib Dems on the streets of Witney today. They must have read my post last week I like to think

Some anecdotal evidence of Remain Tories backing Lib Dems actively.

The (numerous) LD leaflets are not in yellow, but red or blue depending on the subject (cute).

I have heard that the postal vote turnout return so far is lower than would be expected. Which is perhaps a little surprising. The LibDem take is that postal voters are either holding back watching national and local developments, or may be less motivated to vote (presumably Tory, as usual) than last time, either of which may I guess be positive for them.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    TOPPING said:

Toms said:

Ed Balls safe - God knows how!

I'm having to watch my lady's tv. From what I have seen of him (once in person) Ed is very likable.
    super likeable. A grown up politician. How Lab should miss him (they don't).
    Yes.
    And I'm afraid Labour has had its bacon stolen by a bunch of (censored).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,110
    TOPPING said:

stodge said:

geoffw said:

Evening @stodge pity there's no such thing as soft Brexit.

Hello Geoff.

I must confess I don't like the terminology either but it's become almost the lingua franca of the debate.

I imagine Hammond is tilting for a pro-City deal which preserves as much Single Market access (financial passporting) as possible. It's probably fair to say the City has a different take on migration and freedom of movement than much of the rest of the UK

Walk along King William Street, Cornhill or Leadenhall Street on a weekday lunchtime and you hear some English but a lot of French, German and Italian spoken. For the European financial professional, London is the place to be.

Walk along any of those streets and all you see are people rushing to Pret for an Italian Chicken Salad. How you manage to hear the language spoken is anyone's guess.
    They have mobile phones, into which they say "Ok, ja," rather than, "OK, yah," as in days gone by.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited October 2016
    If anyone has been to Witney there are two aspects I'd love to hear feedback on. #1 What do voters feel about the unnecessary Byelection ? Voters tend not to like them but do people feel it's unnecessary ? #2 Do Conservative voters who liked Cameron personally feel he's been **** on at all ?
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    She may not have a Willie in her cabinet, but she's got a Johnson, and he's a right pr*ck! (Warning: that image is not safe for work.)

Meanwhile, there is nearly half a million pounds laying Clinton at 1.17-1.19 at Betfair.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Toms said:

TOPPING said:

Toms said:

I'm having to watch my lady's tv. From what I have seen of him (once in person) Ed is very likable.
    Yes.
    Speaking of (censored) what do we make of this?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/hillary-clinton-has-11-point-lead-over-donald-trump-in-latest-nationwide-poll-nbc-a7364416.html
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Alistair said:

On the Sunday shows this morning the Trump surrogates line was that when Trump was talking about the election being rigged he was talking about the biased media coverage, not election fraud as that would be Crazy to do so without evidence.

The surrogate's Stirling performance was rewarded with this fabulously on message Trump tweet.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/787699930718695425

Too many tweets make a ....twaaaaa....Trump...as some bloke whose name I can't remember once said.
    All his other tweets I've just brushed off, but this one is dangerous, if
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Off-topic:

Am I the only person who is disappointed that the BBC are wimping out and will not be having the Poldark rape scene?

The storyline was even present in the 1970s version, and is kind of central to both the character and the further antagonism between Elizabeth and Poldark.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Alistair said:

On the Sunday shows this morning the Trump surrogates line was that when Trump was talking about the election being rigged he was talking about the biased media coverage, not election fraud as that would be Crazy to do so without evidence.

The surrogate's Stirling performance was rewarded with this fabulously on message Trump tweet.

Too many tweets make a ....twaaaaa....Trump...as some bloke whose name I can't remember once said.
    All his other tweets I've just brushed off, but this one is dangerous, if
    Can't Trump speak English? Printing biased or even libellous stuff in newspapers isn't "rigging" an election.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Dromedary said:

She may not have a Willie in her cabinet, but she's got a Johnson, and he's a right pr*ck! (Warning: that image is not safe for work.)

Meanwhile, there is nearly half a million pounds laying Clinton at 1.17-1.19 at Betfair.

Barring another Clinton Collapse we could see her go off at 1.05 on election day.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Alistair said:

If he's saying what I think he is trying to say, then he needs to say it straight up with specific supporting evidence.

No matter who are the two idiots up for election, the public needs to have faith in the actual process of choosing a president.
  • Options
    If May sorts out a credible Brexit and brings the country through with only minor damage, then she'll automatically rank amongst the top UK PM's, whatever else she does.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,990
    Dromedary said:

That is a superb piece of photoshopping.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Toms said:

Toms said:

TOPPING said:

Toms said:

Yes.
    Speaking of (censored) what do we make of this?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/hillary-clinton-has-11-point-lead-over-donald-trump-in-latest-nationwide-poll-nbc-a7364416.html
    Same as we make of this:

http://abc.go.com/shows/this-week-with-george-stephanopoulos/episode-guide/2016-10/16-some-polls-indicate-2016-presidential-race-remains-close
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    Dromedary said:

The 'next president female' odds have tended to be marginally better than the democrat or Clinton Betfair figures, although the 1.20 money still on offer is now less than £25
  • Options
    I return after a few hours to find the "Unsackable" Hammond on the verge of being sacked.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Alistair said:

All his other tweets I've just brushed off, but this one is dangerous.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/donald-trump-risk-losing-arizona-state-officials-say-n667281?cid=sm_twice
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Speedy said:

I return after a few hours to find the "Unsackable" Hammond on the verge of being sacked.

I thought the story was he was threatening to resign?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Dromedary said:

Barring another Clinton Collapse we could see her go off at 1.05 on election day.
    That's a big proviso for a lady who will enter her 70th year in 10 days' time and who had pneumonia a month ago.

Perhaps the people staking the half a million pounds are banking on a fall in her price before a possible later rise. I am still expecting surprises.

Why isn't Trump shouting about Benghazi? "Incompetent causer of American deaths" would be a useful image to throw at his opponent, on top of his favoured "corrupt" and "weak". He isn't out of the contest yet.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Alistair said:

He is right about the media.

I would support a ban on journalism (not reporting, I consider those two separate things) since it's so much debased and abused everywhere, including Britain.

Anyway the risks of a civil war in america have never been higher for the last 140 years:

https://twitter.com/jimmorrill/status/787730586622423041
  • Options
    A couple of quid on Trump and I'm all green. Not big numbers - I just rolled over the money I had on Trump (a trading bet pre-nomination) in this market.
  • Options

If May sorts out a credible Brexit and brings the country through with only minor damage, then she'll automatically rank amongst the top UK PM's, whatever else she does.

Yes. Brexit will be the first line of her obituary just as it will be Cameron's. Too early to tell what that obituary will say but if she pulls off a successful extraction and lays solid groundwork for a Britain that proved better off out she'll go down in the peacetime pantheon of greats.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

"You won't fire me, I resign" kind of talk.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ishmael_X said:

Essexit said:

snip

Or you could make the positive case for EU membership?

(Snip)
    It's pointless to try given the attitudes of some on here.

Having said that, the EU didn't even try to make a positive case. They were complacent, and no-one has accepted responsibility for that yet. Their failure to even contemplate that people in countries around the EU do not share their vision for Europe is intensely damaging to their project.
    I was thinking about mobile phones today in a slightly different context, viz. that the two most visible good things that the Romans have ever done for us are not having to buy francs and pesetas and such for European tours, and the capping of roaming charges.

OTOH if you were Slovakian, you could make a forceful case for the EU for having enabled Slovakia to steal Jaguar Land Rover business from the UK: https://www.ft.com/content/4ec6972c-73db-11e5-bdb1-e6e4767162cc

JLR's criteria for choice of Eastern European country clearly include EU membership.
    So, we pay to join a club, and those membership fees go to subsidise the wholesale shipping of British jobs overseas? And people still wonder why we voted to leave this club?

Edit: @Indigo, snap!
    https://twitter.com/Fight4UK/status/736322308743258112
  • Options
    Why would that anger eurosceptics? Surely single market access for only the city would be the equivalent of having your cake and eating it. Whether or not the EU would agree is another matter.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Dromedary said:

The 'next president female' odds have tended to be marginally better than the democrat or Clinton Betfair figures, although the 1.20 money still on offer is now less than £25
    I'm on the other side of that for a couple of quid, to help cover off any of the random unforeseen possibilities.

Still way too unpredictable for serious money, it could be anything from a Clinton landslide to the most epic polling failure in history.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

But the story isn't about anyone threatening to fire him?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Alistair said:

Dromedary said:

That's a big proviso for a lady who will enter her 70th year in 10 days' time and who had pneumonia a month ago.
    Terrorist attacks could help Trump. So could a flare-up between Russia and the US in Syria. Most of the discourse about "Putin's" role in this election has been superficial and one-dimensional and not exactly flowing from a deep understanding of the capabilities of Russian intelligence and the nature of modern warfare.
    Speedy said:

Anyway the risks of a civil war in america have never been higher for the last 140 years

Yes, and regardless of who wins the election.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    Alistair said:

Dromedary said:

Hmm.

The layers are currently out in force, although I expect the backers will overwhelm them in November (cf; brexit) if the polls hold steady. On current polling, an SP of 1.05-1.1 sounds right.

My broad conclusion is that the market is pretty efficient right now - eg, on the main market the ~9% chance of not-trump/clinton is now a much more sensible ~1%.

There could still be some *surprises* - ie, a last minute trump boycott that turns the electoral college completely blue - although I don't think the likelihood of that is being underestimated by punters.

Having said that, it's possible a GOTV fail by the GOP may not be being fully priced in.

I'm not betting on it, i'm green all round +23k
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Alistair said:

Anyway the risks of a civil war in america have never been higher for the last 140 years:
    Sadly that's not an exaggerated assessment, and the media seem to be enjoying pouring fuel on the fires of outrage.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Why would that anger eurosceptics? Surely single market access for only the city would be the equivalent of having your cake and eating it. Whether or not the EU would agree is another matter.
    Conor Burns is an MP, who wishes the voters and business to eat sovereignty

But Conor Burns, a Eurosceptic Conservative MP, said: “Leaving the EU doesn’t mean paying money into the EU.” He said that had been specifically rejected by the British people at the referendum on June 23.

https://www.ft.com/content/a8ec5e90-938c-11e6-a1dc-bdf38d484582
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Couple of dates in diary on the Foreign Affairs front in the US.

October 18-20th: start of main ground offensive on Mosul, IS strong point in Iraq and significant embarrassment to any player against it. Obama really wants a nice foreign policy ender to his presidency to stand at a lectern. Since his hilarious plans to bring peace to Syria via not offending Russia have gone west this may have to do just before the new president is elected.

Week beginning 17th October. The Red Sea. As the Iranians ping anti-ship missiles at US warships off the coast of Yemen, the president has been remarkably quiet about it. They will, however, have to take further action since a burst of cruise missiles hasn't done it. This might well gain more prominence in a way that the White House wishes not to talk about.

Can you explain this prediction of full scale war breaking out?
  • Options

RobD said:

But Conor Burns, a Eurosceptic Conservative MP, said: “Leaving the EU doesn’t mean paying money into the EU.” He said that had been specifically rejected by the British people at the referendum on June 23.

Sorry.. can't access it through the paywall (yep, I'm a cheap bastard). As on everything, there is a spectrum. I am sure the majority would not mind if it was in the national interest.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    I don't understand how that would work. Passporting or equivalence, ok. But all that would mean would be that UK firms would have the right to sell services into the EU without local registration.

The critical issue is whether the UK would have any input into the regs as they will be formulated in future, for those UK firms. Sadly, we have given up that input. If we retain passporting or equivalence that is obviously better than nothing, but who is to set the rules in future which may or may not disadvantage our firms. Not us, it seems.
  • Options
    And in further stories, pope discovered to have catholic sympathies?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Sorry.. can't access it through the paywall (yep, I'm a cheap bastard). As on everything, there is a spectrum. I am sure the majority would not mind if it was in the national interest.
    Google

'UK looks at paying billions into EU budget after Brexit'

and you'll be able to view the story for free
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866
    Seems a good deal to me. Let's see the details. I'd prefer to stay *in* the single market with some face-saving deal on migration - in exchange for payments of some sort. Similar to the deal above, but closer still.

This week's issue looks to be Ireland, however.
    The border thing seems to have found a possible solution, but much chat on Twitter about the Good Friday agreement. Plus of course, the pound's fall is absolutely screwing Irish exporters.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Read the article. It's not just for the City. It's realpolitik and it'll pass the Commons comfortably with opposition votes but they'll be a substantial backbench rebellion by Tory ultras and it'll keep UKIP in some sort of business. Of course it's just briefing. Who knows but it's well arrested as a model. It's a watered down version of the Norway Model.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I don't understand how that would work. Passporting or equivalence, ok. But all that would mean would be that UK firms would have the right to sell services into the EU without local registration.

The critical issue is whether the UK would have any input into the regs as they will be formulated in future, for those UK firms. Sadly, we have given up that input. If we retain passporting or equivalence that is obviously better than nothing, but who is to set the rules in future which may or may not disadvantage our firms. Not us, it seems.
    I think, ultimately, we decided to trade off that kind of sovereignty for repatriation of border control and judicial independence.

You can argue it either way.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2016

RobD said:

That depends on what it is.

I suspect that many Brexiteers would be happy to redirect a few pounds from the overseas aid budget to ensure that the Calais Jungle is effectively managed by the French, for example.

Likewise, extending the UK border to the Irish Republic to keep free movement between Northern Ireland and the South whilst protecting our borders.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

I would be surprised if were otherwise, access for the city is both technical, mutually beneficial, and a high priority for the British.
  • Options

RobD said:

Read the article. It's not just for the City. It's realpolitik and it'll pass the Commons comfortably with opposition votes but they'll be a substantial backbench rebellion by Tory ultras and it'll keep UKIP in some sort of business. Of course it's just briefing. Who knows but it's well arrested as a model. It's a watered down version of the Norway Model.
    Surprise Surprise. People need to learn how negotiation works before foaming about pre negotiation stances.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

Alistair said:

Dromedary said:

Terrorist attacks could help Trump. So could a flare-up between Russia and the US in Syria. Most of the discourse about "Putin's" role in this election has been superficial and one-dimensional and not exactly flowing from a deep understanding of the capabilities of Russian intelligence and the nature of modern warfare.
    Speedy said:

Anyway the risks of a civil war in america have never been higher for the last 140 years

Terrorist attacks have only helped Hillary, flare-ups with Russia have only helped Hillary.

A civil war in the United States I think has a 30% chance of happening regardless who wins.

If a civil war happens who do we support, if we support, and for what price ?

In the last american civil war Britain and France wanted to aid the Confederacy in order to keep the USA divided, but they couldn't actually morally do it because the confederates where about slavery.

In this case Democrats and Republicans hate each other for a variety of economic and social reasons which are morally less serious than slavery, so we could openly support whoever we like.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    The FT hasn't given up hope. B

RobD said:

RobD said:

Google

'UK looks at paying billions into EU budget after Brexit'

and you'll be able to view the story for free
    Only with "private browsing" switched on I think.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Alistair said:

Dromedary said:

Perhaps the people staking the half a million pounds are banking on a fall in her price before a possible later rise. I am still expecting surprises.

Why isn't Trump shouting about Benghazi? "Incompetent causer of American deaths" would be a useful image to throw at his opponent, on top of his favoured "corrupt" and "weak". He isn't out of the contest yet.
    Because Clinton was the subject of two hostile congressional hearings that couldn't pin anything on her. Although the second one found out about the email server.

As far as I remember Benghazi plays well with the Republican base in polling but doesn't move Dems or Independents whilst the emails do hurt her with Dems and Independents.
  • Options

Seems a good deal to me. Let's see the details. I'd prefer to stay *in* the single market with some face-saving deal on migration - in exchange for payments of some sort. Similar to the deal above, but closer still.

The border thing seems to have found a possible solution, but much chat on Twitter about the Good Friday agreement. Plus of course, the pound's fall is absolutely screwing Irish exporters.
    Oh sure. I favour saving every scrap of the eurosphere we can and the FT briefing would save a lot. It's Methadone Brexit. Doubtless it would satisfy no one and ultras would start campaigning for Cold Turkey but politics is an art not a science.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

But the story isn't about anyone threatening to fire him?
    But did she threaten to overrule him?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I'm not so sure; as shown downthread, if anyone has the temerity to hazard that the EU might have done *one* thing good, Europhobes jump on it. It cannot possibly be true.

In the same manner, they will see any money being sent to the EU as a betrayal. After all, it means the NHS won't be getting it.

Also: am I the only person thinking that, in the long run, we might end up paying more into the EU's coffers for less?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

Alistair said:

Dromedary said:

Speedy said:

Terrorist attacks have only helped Hillary, flare-ups with Russia have only helped Hillary.

A civil war in the United States I think has a 30% chance of happening regardless who wins.

In the last american civil war Britain and France wanted to aid the Confederacy in order to keep the USA divided, but they couldn't actually morally do it because the confederates where about slavery.

In this case Democrats and Republicans hate each other for a variety of economic and social reasons which are morally less serious than slavery, so we could openly support whoever we like.
    I'll sell at 30%.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I would be surprised if were otherwise, access for the city is both technical, mutually beneficial, and a high priority for the British.
    Access for the city means not much. It is a soundbite.

The critical issue is whether the UK can fight within the EU (or now of course outside it) for a regulatory regime that doesn't discriminate against non-EU members. Or for a regime that allows the UK's strengths in financial services to compete against anyone else's.

There are plenty of issues which the UK believes are important for UK firms to be competitive in financial services. Leaving the EU means we are not able to fight our corner to make those issues, or rather, the regulatory environment, UK firm-friendly.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Oh sure. I favour saving every scrap of the eurosphere we can and the FT briefing would save a lot. It's Methadone Brexit. Doubtless it would satisfy no one and ultras would start campaigning for Cold Turkey but politics is an art not a science.

I'm on the side that no negotiation can take place whilst we are still members of the EU.

The EU will not be interested in any serious negotiations for emotional reasons until we actually leave de jure, and neither will euroskeptics be happy in any negotiations while we are still in.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    @Roger
    Great to see you back here. I ventured back a couple of weeks ago to wind up the Brexit morons a bit, only to start finding myself feeling sorry for them. I cannot begin to think how it must be to live with that kind of negativity to others, delusion, and stupidity in your soul. A sad affliction. As for Plato's OCD for Trump, I worry for the welfare of her cats. How has she time to tend to anything else in her life, let alone feed the poor moggies.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Alistair said:

I would support a ban on journalism (not reporting, I consider those two separate things) since it's so much debased and abused everywhere, including Britain.

Speedy said:

Alistair said:

And so it begins. The GOP are reaping the whirlwind of the conspirtal seeds they sowed during Obamas presidency. They need to speak out immediately or civil war is indeed coming.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    She has only not ruled it out. Yet.

But in a move likely to upset many Conservative Eurosceptics, Mrs May has not ruled out making future payments to the EU to secure privileged access to the single market.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Alistair said:

Dromedary said:

Hmm.

The layers are currently out in force, although I expect the backers will overwhelm them in November (cf; brexit) if the polls hold steady. On current polling, an SP of 1.05-1.1 sounds right.

My broad conclusion is that the market is pretty efficient right now - eg, on the main market the ~9% chance of not-trump/clinton is now a much more sensible ~1%.

There could still be some *surprises* - ie, a last minute trump boycott that turns the electoral college completely blue - although I don't think the likelihood of that is being underestimated by punters.

Having said that, it's possible a GOTV fail by the GOP may not be being fully priced in.

I'm not betting on it, i'm green all round +23k
    People on here have been a bit dismissive about the GOTV differential between the GOP and Dems and I think people are not quite understanding the scale of differential. It's not two different GOTV one of which is a bit better but one side has no national GOTV operation at all as far as I can tell vs a side with a GOTV operation so innovative and ground breaking the 2012 version's techniques and software have been adopted by industry.

I am still long Clinton but it is getting to the stage where I may green out or at least free bet on Clinton and focus on the state betting once more early returns come in.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leaving the EU means we are not able to fight our corner

Do you really believe this kind of thing? I don't mean that we won't have influence; more that our existing "influence" really exists?

• Options
    edited October 2016

RobD said:

RobD said:

I'm not so sure; as shown downthread, if anyone has the temerity to hazard that the EU might have done *one* thing good, Europhobes jump on it. It cannot possibly be true.

In the same manner, they will see any money being sent to the EU as a betrayal. After all, it means the NHS won't be getting it.

Also: am I the only person thinking that, in the long run, we might end up paying more into the EU's coffers for less?
    I for one expect us to pay in as much as we do now. *More* would be difficult to sell.

In terms of getting less, I'm not so sure.
    We would regain control of our agriculture and fisheries. We would have some "control" over immigration. And our common law judicial system would stop rubbing up against a Naploeonic ECJ.

That's not nothing.

But certainly, we sacrifice influence on standards setting, and progress on service liberalisation - the big prize for us - becomes harder one would have thought.

We also sacrifice what influence we had in the world as a "leading member of the EU". So a less important voice in US, Japan, and China. We are shut out of 90% of European diplomatic channels. And we leave Germany as unrivalled economic hegemon of Europe, which she pretty much is anyway but this makes it totally clear.

The security (defence) implications of Brexit are interesting, but my post is already too long...
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Only if Tony Blair's negotiating it.
    :smile:
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    RobD said:

"Paying billions"
  • Options
    chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

Do you really believe this kind of thing? I don't mean that we won't have influence; more that our existing "influence" really exists?

If you look at the history of EU financial services regulation, much of it is FSA/FCA inspired. It has been our regulatory regime that has driven the direction of the EU regulatory regime. Hence once we are out of the EU, our concerns and priorities will be relegated.

Just out of interest did you ask the question because you understand the history of financial services regulation since, ok let's say CP176, and onwards, or are you asking from a general interest?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

I'm on the side that no negotiation can take place whilst we are still members of the EU.

The EU will not be interested in any serious negotiations for emotional reasons until we actually leave de jure, and neither will euroskeptics be happy in any negotiations while we are still in.
    They'll be strong psychological forces on both sides working to prove you right. It comes down to Cui Bono. Who benefits from the demonstration of a member state leaving and then negotiating a good, workable and durable settlement with 3 years of a referendum. The answer to which is A: All Europeans B: A tiny number of British politicans. Those pro leave but in office. It's all a bit too much like a divorce with no children to think of.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Only if Tony Blair's negotiating it.
    :smile:
    BTW, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but what does the 'TC' in your username stand for? I cannot help but read it as 'Terms and Conditions' every time.

I've obviously read too much small print. :)
  • Options
    Pong said:

I'll sell at 30%.

40% of Republicans think Hillary is a demon, there is open talk of taking up arms against the democrats in the case Hillary wins in an election where 75% of republicans think is rigged.

And only 30% of the population has trust in the media, only 16% have faith in their government, both candidates are hate figures.

In any other country those would have been recognized as ingredients for civil war.

This election has two hated persons as candidates where one side, who is heavily armed, is feeling this election is being rigged by a demon, in a country with little trust to it's civil structures and huge economic inequality.

I think the chances of 30% are correct, if it was a latin american country I would have put the chances at 90%.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    TOPPING said:

chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

If you look at the history of EU financial services regulation, much of it is FSA/FCA inspired. It has been our regulatory regime that has driven the direction of the EU regulatory regime. Hence once we are out of the EU, our concerns and priorities will be relegated.

Just out of interest did you ask the question because you understand the history of financial services regulation since, ok let's say CP176, and onwards, or are you asking from a general interest?
    I'm asking generally because I read that we are opposed to things like FTT, yet countries proceed anyway.

I ask because we oppose bailouts to EZ countries, yet we end up paying anyway.

I ask because we went into a negotiation wanting immigration properly controlled, yet ended up with nothing anyway.

Perhaps, you've heard otherwise?

By influence - do you mean they let us offer an opinion, and then proceed anyway?
  • Options
    If TMpm negotiates a price for passporting rights, she should also arrange for it to be paid by the beneficiaries, i.e. "the City".
    I will applaud if she manages that.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    geoffw said:

If TMpm negotiates a price for passporting rights, she should also arrange for it to be paid by the beneficiaries, i.e. "the City".

Given her marvellous conference speech, that is a tremendous idea.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Couple of dates in diary on the Foreign Affairs front in the US.

October 18-20th: start of main ground offensive on Mosul, IS strong point in Iraq and significant embarrassment to any player against it. Obama really wants a nice foreign policy ender to his presidency to stand at a lectern. Since his hilarious plans to bring peace to Syria via not offending Russia have gone west this may have to do just before the new president is elected.

Week beginning 17th October. The Red Sea. As the Iranians ping anti-ship missiles at US warships off the coast of Yemen, the president has been remarkably quiet about it. They will, however, have to take further action since a burst of cruise missiles hasn't done it. This might well gain more prominence in a way that the White House wishes not to talk about.

And the town of Dabiq was taken from Daesh this morning, which could have major consequences given the significance they ascribe to it in their eschatology.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,538
    edited October 2016
    geoffw said:

What do you think 'The City' will do? Pay costs they don't currently have to pay or move somewhere where they won't have to pay those costs?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

I'm asking generally because I read that we are opposed to things like FTT, yet countries proceed anyway.

I ask because we oppose bailouts to EZ countries, yet we end up paying anyway.

I ask because we went into a negotiation wanting immigration properly controlled, yet ended up with nothing anyway.

Perhaps, you've heard otherwise?

By influence - do you mean they let us offer an opinion, and the proceed anyway?
    OK cool thanks. So an uninformed comment.

How does immigration control relate to an FTT?

Look I know you are angry at the whole EU thing and that's fine. But you won!

If you are going to comment on specifics, ie the City, then perhaps it's best to do some homework. Start with French and Italian FTT and then let me know your thoughts.
  • Options

geoffw said:

What do you think 'The City' will do? Pay costs they don't currently have to pay or move somewhere where they won't have to pay those costs?
    Just like they threatened if we didn't join the Euro?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

Pong said:

I'll sell at 30%.

40% of Republicans think Hillary is a demon, there is open talk of taking up arms against the democrats in the case Hillary wins in an election where 75% of republicans think is rigged.

And only 30% of the population has trust in the media, only 16% have faith in their government, both candidates are hate figures.

In any other country those would have been recognized as ingredients for civil war.

This election has two hated persons as candidates where one side, who is heavily armed, is feeling this election is being rigged by a demon, in a country with little trust to it's civil structures and huge economic inequality.

I think the chances of 30% are correct, if it was a latin american country I would have put the chances at 90%.
    This sort of language by trump etc is unacceptable. GOP need to forget their short term interests and distance themselves immediately, their union is at risk. No exaggeration. Scary.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

geoffw said:

Tbh, a slow adjustment in the bank levy will probably do it quite easily.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

geoffw said:

Most of them didn't, but you keep on perpetuating the myth
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    geoffw said:

The briefing to the FT is either designed to halt the decline in the £ for a few weeks or provoke a backlash from europhobes. Possibly both. Noone who wanted that deal would leak it so early. Firstly every other sector is now going to go " but what about us ? ". Putting the City of London first is sound economics but awful internal politics. Secondly it's a sign of weakness. If we're conversing budget payments this early, before A50 is invoked, what will be offer when the clock is ticking ?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

Pong said:

I'll sell at 30%.

The elites are all on the same side - as are the military and policing structures.

There's a non-negligible short-medium term possibility of some serious civil unrest - specifically right wing terrorism / political assassinations - but nowhere near enough fuel for a civil war.

We're in the middle of a very dirty election campaign - the situ will look very different in three months.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

geoffw said:

Most of them didn't, but you keep on perpetuating the myth
    The reality is that finance wants to stay in London.

I expect they'd be willing to accept paying for that privilege.

You think they'd rather leave:

- a useful legal jurisdiction
    - a useful corp tax jurisdiction
    - the most popular European city for recruitment purposes
    - THE English language city

It is a view.....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This outcome was what I predicted about two days after the vote. A fudge where we end up paying hefty contributions, to maintain SM access, but these payments will be called something else to save British face. Free Movement will be "qualified" to "Free Movement if you have a job offer".

The Europeans will be able to point at us and laugh for losing influence while still paying cash, UK voters will begrudgingly accept that this is as good as it gets, for now. And it probably is. Once we are technically out we can slowly pivot further away from the EU over time.

So only the ultra Remainers and ultra Leavers will fume. Perhaps rightly.

That this is the best and most obvious outcome does not mean it will happen. The emotional forces pointing us towards Hard Brexit are significant.

PROPER Brexit for PROPER People!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This outcome was what I predicted about two days after the vote. A fudge where we end up paying hefty contributions, to maintain SM access, but these payments will be called something else to save British face. Free Movement will be "qualified" to "Free Movement if you have a job offer".

The Europeans will be able to point at us and laugh for losing influence while still paying cash, UK voters will begrudgingly accept that this is as good as it gets, for now. And it probably is. Once we are technically out we can slowly pivot further away from the EU over time.

That this is the best and most obvious outcome does not mean it will happen. The emotional forces pointing us towards Hard Brexit are significant.

Even the SNP get the difference between single market membership and single market access.

Allow me to remind you. As Alec Salmond noted, Peruvian shoe manufacturers get single market access. Single market membership means being a part of, and influencing the rules for that single market.

This latter is what we have just given up. Nor can we reclaim it, regardess of how much we pay (see: Norway).

Of all discussion boards I would have hoped that on PB we need not remind ourselves of the distinction.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This dickhead Jackson is on David Davis's negotiating team. Depressing.
    His wife is responsible for the acres of 'house prices soaring' headlines in the Express.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

Alistair said:

Dromedary said:

Speedy said:

I watched Trump's price rise for several hours in response to the New York skip bombing of 17 September.

There haven't been any flare-ups between the US and Russia yet. Not a single shot fired at the other side in anger or even by accident. A few ships getting buzzed doesn't amount to a flare-up.
    Speedy said:

I doubt the fascist side would need much external support. No Guernica by the RAF required.

• Options
    Anger from the Europhobes at any deal where we contribute to the EU budget would be a feature not a bug. Any deal which is in our interests will have to be one where our EU friends can claim political victory domestically and in the EU parliament, otherwise they won't be able to get it through. Some idiot indignation from the usual suspects in the UK will help a lot in that.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Local Brexit for local people who were born here? Be careful what you cheer for...
  • Options
    nunu said:

And so it begins. The GOP are reaping the whirlwind of the conspirtal seeds they sowed during Obamas presidency. They need to speak out immediately or civil war is indeed coming.

The last time America almost went into civil war was in the 60's over Civil Rights and Vietnam, but those where transient issues and the Cold War helped to keep the United States together (bipartisanship ect).

The hatred between Republicans and Democrats really started the day the Cold War ended, it's about the economy, it's about culture, and with a stagnating economy and rising islamic terrorism everything is in place for armed conflict between the 2 different societies that exist in america today.

You could say there are 2 different societies in Britain too today, but the glue is being kept by a single national identity and a common enemy: Europe.

If civil war does happen in the USA, if we choose to intervene I guess we should ask for Hawaii in return, so SeanT can go on holiday to Hawaii while spending pounds.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

OK cool thanks. So an uninformed comment.

How does immigration control relate to an FTT?

Look I know you are angry at the whole EU thing and that's fine. But you won!

If you are going to comment on specifics, ie the City, then perhaps it's best to do some homework. Start with French and Italian FTT and then let me know your thoughts.

I'm far from angry. I'm bemused. :smile:

People keep mentioning 'influence' and I am struggling to see it.

I'm also struck by the difference between influence (1/28th) and independence and authority.

No to bailouts - here's £1.7bn for Greece
    No to asylum deals - here's £500m for Turkey.
  • Options

geoffw said:

I don't think they would choose to move to within the EU27 because they would then be vulnerable to the mooted Tobin tax, higher corporation tax (though not in Dublin tbs) and general skepticism of "Anglo-Saxon finance". And anyway I am sure they appreciate the regulatory regime here.

• Options
    You really can spot the posters on here who don't work in the financial services, banking, and insurance industries a mile off.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

You really can spot the posters on here who don't work in the financial services, banking, and insurance industries a mile off.

Indeed. We're apparently far more in touch with the ordinary voter.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Indeed. We're apparently far more in touch with the ordinary voter.
    Which the latest polling shows those voters want the unelected Mrs May to prioritise trade deals over immigration.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Speedy said:

Alistair said:

Today on PB: let's ban journalism.

Only from the PB Leaver Corbynista Trumpers.

Only on PB.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    tyson said:

I cannot begin to think how it must be to live with that kind of negativity to others, delusion, and stupidity in your soul.

Look in a mirror?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

This outcome was what I predicted about two days after the vote. A fudge where we end up paying hefty contributions, to maintain SM access, but these payments will be called something else to save British face. Free Movement will be "qualified" to.

Even the SNP get the difference between single market membership and single market access.

Allow me to remind you. As Alec Salmond noted, Peruvian shoe manufacturers get single market access. Single market membership means being a part of, and influencing the rules for that single market.

This latter is what we have just given up. Nor can we reclaim it, regardess of how much we pay (see: Norway).

Of all discussion boards I would have hoped that on PB we need not remind ourselves of the distinction.
    Oh sure. What the FT and SeanT are describing is Taxation without Representation. It's what the Norwegian's call Fax Democracy. In my more contrarian moods I'd argue it's a much more illiberal outcome than hard Brexit. It won't suit us in the long term and I suspect it won't be stable in the long term. But then it's Methadone Brexit and Methadone programmes make no sense until you reluctantly accept something's are a horrible mess and making them marginally less horrible has benefits if not any virtue or aesthetics.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

SeanT said:

Stop being so childish ! REAL people will lose REAL jobs with your silly Brexit.

The other day someone wrote about a free tariff entry with Australia.

Great ! WE give up one with 500m people and enter one with 22m.
This discussion has been closed.