Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May doesn’t have a Willie and it shows. She urgently a

Comments

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    We shall see. Cabinet tension is unsurprising; actual resignations would be.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    From that piece, I'm glad I'm not alone

“The financial services industry needs maximum certainty on future trade arrangements with the EU as early on as possible in the negotiations.

“Firms have been planning for the worst, and some of them may start putting those plans into motion if uncertainty drags on for too long.”
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Speedy said:

nunu said:

And so it begins. The GOP are reaping the whirlwind of the conspirtal seeds they sowed during Obamas presidency. They need to speak out immediately or civil war is indeed coming.

The last time America almost went into civil war was in the 60's over Civil Rights and Vietnam, but those where transient issues and the Cold War helped to keep the United States together (bipartisanship ect).

The hatred between Republicans and Democrats really started the day the Cold War ended, it's about the economy, it's about culture, and with a stagnating economy and rising islamic terrorism everything is in place for armed conflict between the 2 different societies that exist in america today.

You could say there are 2 different societies in Britain too today, but the glue is being kept by a single national identity and a common enemy: Europe.

If civil war does happen in the USA, if we choose to intervene I guess we should ask for Hawaii in return, so SeanT can go on holiday to Hawaii while spending pounds.
    The armed conflict will be one sided tho, the RNC and DNC and the state against the Trump Republicans.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

You really can spot the posters on here who don't work in the financial services, banking, and insurance industries a mile off.

LOL. But beware of living in an echo chamber.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

You really can spot the posters on here who don't work in the financial services, banking, and insurance industries a mile off.

Yes, we are able to take a wider, longer and smarter view of things than arriviste stockbrokers who can only see profit and loss.
    Longer and smarter view? You?

You went all ponceyboots gaylord shortly after June 23rd when you thought it was going to bad for the economy
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Speedy said:

nunu said:

And so it begins. The GOP are reaping the whirlwind of the conspirtal seeds they sowed during Obamas presidency. They need to speak out immediately or civil war is indeed coming.

The last time America almost went into civil war was in the 60's over Civil Rights and Vietnam, but those where transient issues and the Cold War helped to keep the United States together (bipartisanship ect).

The hatred between Republicans and Democrats really started the day the Cold War ended, it's about the economy, it's about culture, and with a stagnating economy and rising islamic terrorism everything is in place for armed conflict between the 2 different societies that exist in america today.

You could say there are 2 different societies in Britain too today, but the glue is being kept by a single national identity and a common enemy: Europe.

If civil war does happen in the USA, if we choose to intervene I guess we should ask for Hawaii in return, so SeanT can go on holiday to Hawaii while spending pounds.
    Europe is not a 'common enemy' in the U.K., as you claim. Many millions of British people are fond of it, and deeply regret that people like you voted us out. Meanwhile, your posts are becoming increasingly unhinged and hyperbolic, as well as psephologically misleading.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Pong said:

The elites are all on the same side - as are the military and policing structures.

There's a non-negligible short-medium term possibility of some serious civil unrest - specifically right wing terrorism / political assassinations - but nowhere near enough fuel for a civil war.

We're in the middle of a very dirty election campaign - the situ will look very different in three months.

"as are the military and policing structures"

I doubt about that.
    Most of the rank and file of the military is republican, the police almost 100% republican.

If there is civil war between Republicans and Democrats it's not sure who will win, there would be multiple unit defections from both sides in unexpected areas depending on who wins the election.

It would look like Colombia, a united elite in the cities surrounded by a sea of rebel farmers.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Seems a good deal to me. Let's see the details. I'd prefer to stay *in* the single market with some face-saving deal on migration - in exchange for payments of some sort. Similar to the deal above, but closer still.

This week's issue looks to be Ireland, however.
    The border thing seems to have found a possible solution, but much chat on Twitter about the Good Friday agreement. Plus of course, the pound's fall is absolutely screwing Irish exporters.
    Oh sure. I favour saving every scrap of the eurosphere we can and the FT briefing would save a lot. It's Methadone Brexit. Doubtless it would satisfy no one and ultras would start campaigning for Cold Turkey but politics is an art not a science.
    This outcome was what I predicted about two days after the vote. A fudge where we end up paying hefty contributions, to maintain SM access, but these payments will be called something else to save British face. Free Movement will be "qualified" to "Free Movement if you have a job offer".

The Europeans will be able to point at us and laugh for losing influence while still paying cash, UK voters will begrudgingly accept that this is as good as it gets, for now. And it probably is. Once we are technically out we can slowly pivot further away from the EU over time.

So only the ultra Remainers and ultra Leavers will fume. Perhaps rightly.

That this is the best and most obvious outcome does not mean it will happen. The emotional forces pointing us towards Hard Brexit are significant.

Even the SNP get the difference between single market membership and single market access.

Allow me to remind you. As Alec Salmond noted, Peruvian shoe manufacturers get single market access. Single market membership means being a part of, and influencing the rules for that single market.

This latter is what we have just given up. Nor can we reclaim it, regardess of how much we pay (see: Norway).

Of all discussion boards I would have hoped that on PB we need not remind ourselves of the distinction.
    Er, I do understand this. I'm saying we will probably be like Norway (despite what Ms May claimed). Paying money to "trade within" the SM - perhaps on a sectoral basis. We will have less influence on the rules than we have now.

In the end, would that be really better than what we had or will it save our "face" by claiming we are independent.

I wonder what assurances did May give Ghosn of Nissan.
  • Options
    More stories like this, and the voters won't have any Brexit regrets

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/787757458819284992
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

OK cool thanks. So an uninformed comment.

How does immigration control relate to an FTT?

Look I know you are angry at the whole EU thing and that's fine. But you won!

If you are going to comment on specifics, ie the City, then perhaps it's best to do some homework. Start with French and Italian FTT and then let me know your thoughts.

I'm far from angry. I'm bemused. :smile:

People keep mentioning 'influence' and I am struggling to see it.

I'm also struck by the difference between influence (1/28th) and independence and authority.

No to bailouts - here's £1.7bn for Greece
    No to asylum deals - here's £500m for Turkey.
    Much of current EU financial services regulation started off with the FSA/FCA. If you are unaware of the UK's 'influence' then you haven't been paying attention.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Most of the rank and file of the military is republican, the police almost 100% republican.

[citation needed]

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

You mean the majority of the public who aren't involved in 'spivving'?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

Has Ambrose Evans Pritchard ever been right about anything?
  • Options

I thought you where a lawyer.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Seems a good deal to me. Let's see the details. I'd prefer to stay *in* the single market with some face-saving deal on migration - in exchange for payments of some sort. Similar to the deal above, but closer still.

The border thing seems to have found a possible solution, but much chat on Twitter about the Good Friday agreement. Plus of course, the pound's fall is absolutely screwing Irish exporters.
    Oh sure. I favour saving every scrap of the eurosphere we can and the FT briefing would save a lot. It's Methadone Brexit. Doubtless it would satisfy no one and ultras would start campaigning for Cold Turkey but politics is an art not a science.
    This outcome was what I predicted about two days after the vote. A fudge where we end up paying hefty contributions, to maintain SM access, but these payments will be called something else to save British face. Free Movement will be "qualified" to "Free Movement if you have a job offer".

The Europeans will be able to point at us and laugh for losing influence while still paying cash, UK voters will begrudgingly accept that this is as good as it gets, for now. And it probably is. Once we are technically out we can slowly pivot further away from the EU over time.

That this is the best and most obvious outcome does not mean it will happen. The emotional forces pointing us towards Hard Brexit are significant.

Even the SNP get the difference between single market membership and single market access.

Allow me to remind you. As Alec Salmond noted, Peruvian shoe manufacturers get single market access. Single market membership means being a part of, and influencing the rules for that single market.

This latter is what we have just given up. Nor can we reclaim it, regardess of how much we pay (see: Norway).

Of all discussion boards I would have hoped that on PB we need not remind ourselves of the distinction.
    Er, I do understand this. I'm saying we will probably be like Norway (despite what Ms May claimed). Paying money to "trade within" the SM - perhaps on a sectoral basis. We will have less influence on the rules than we have now.

Sozza. In which case yes.

Further observation: "arriviste stockbrokers"??
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Much of current EU financial services regulation .

Does your world exist beyond the City?

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited October 2016

Anger from the Europhobes at any deal where we contribute to the EU budget would be a feature not a bug. Any deal which is in our interests will have to be one where our EU friends can claim political victory domestically and in the EU parliament, otherwise they won't be able to get it through. Some idiot indignation from the usual suspects in the UK will help a lot in that.

Agreed. Both sides need to be able to sell/spin the deal. They need to say we got a worse deal than now ( so don't think about leaving domestic voters). We need to say we say who lives here ( we have control).

Perception is all, though there has to be a kernel of truth.

Personally, paying into their kitty for sovereignty and free trade seems a reasonable compromise.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    There is clearly a huge but hidden war going on, inside the Tory party, as to the terms of Brexit. All we see is the tracer fire in the distance.
    QT was interesting this week.

It is clear that Labour have absolutely no clue how to cope with the fact that so of their voters in their currently held seats plumped for Leave.

The Tory party is Govt, opposition and third party at the moment.

SNP are scrapping for a bit of publicity and in so doing shooting their own fox re Indy.

LDs - excited by a handful of council seat gains...
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

An AEP column. The guy has been predicting the imminent collapse of the Euro since before it started.

It would probably be better for us if we were in the EU when the Euro collapsed as we'd be the dominant power and have a better chance of working the situation to our advantage.
  • Options
    Wasn't Amber Rudd pro-Remain in a big way ? Did she not have a go at Boris about not trusting him to take a woman home at night ?

Is Boris Trump-like ?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

I thought you where a lawyer.
    Yup, and I work in house for a company in the financial services industry.

I was recruited because in part of my experience financial services regulation, and my experience such as in prepping for the FSA big bang of October 2004.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

In the end, would that be really better than what we had or will it save our "face" by claiming we are independent.

I wonder what assurances did May give Ghosn of Nissan.
    May can't save the ' Bankers ' and throw Nissan under the Slovak manufactured Bus. See also the very strange timing of the readable Simon Stephens anti May NHS briefing.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    There is clearly a huge but hidden war going on, inside the Tory party, as to the terms of Brexit. All we see is the tracer fire in the distance.
    Note: you see tracer fire from your own firing position.
  • Options

That's not news, that's reality for the past 6 years.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

So? I can tell those that don't make things. Doesn't make either view more valid not more valid than the retired, students, working in the public sector etc per se.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

An AEP column. The guy has been predicting the imminent collapse of the Euro since before it started.

It would probably be better for us if we were in the EU when the Euro collapsed as we'd be the dominant power and have a better chance of working the situation to our advantage.
    2003: £1 = €1.37

2016: £1 = €1.12

I am not sure which currency is collapsing !
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Why would that anger eurosceptics? Surely single market access for only the city would be the equivalent of having your cake and eating it. Whether or not the EU would agree is another matter.
    "Paying billions"
    They might as well try to keep London in the single market, as some special status zone, with attendant contributions. Would be a very popular move in London and would allow p
    Speedy said:

Pong said:

The elites are all on the same side - as are the military and policing structures.

There's a non-negligible short-medium term possibility of some serious civil unrest - specifically right wing terrorism / political assassinations - but nowhere near enough fuel for a civil war.

We're in the middle of a very dirty election campaign - the situ will look very different in three months.

I doubt about that.

If there is civil war between Republicans and Democrats it's not sure who will win, there would be multiple unit defections from both sides in unexpected areas depending on who wins the election.

It would look like Colombia, a united elite in the cities surrounded by a sea of rebel farmers.
    For crying out loud.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

Much of current EU financial services regulation .

Does your world exist beyond the City?

You were the one discussing FTT and the like, weren't you?

Oh, and immigration.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

When we did our business review earlier on this year, our top risks were

3) A crisis/contagion in the Eurozone, which includes a Euro collapse
    2) Brexit
    1) Brext and A crisis/contagion in the Eurozone, which includes a Euro collapse happening concurrently.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Actually we would probably be asked to fork the bill for the eurozone's collapse if we where still inside the EU, after all Britain did contribute to the Bailouts of Death even if it wasn't a euro member.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I've just noticed that HYUFD is conspicuous by his absence....

The phrase 'Michael Howard to Corbyn's IDS' hasn't been uttered for at least a few days...
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Actually we would probably be asked to fork the bill for the eurozone's collapse if we where still inside the EU, after all Britain did contribute to the Bailouts of Death even if it wasn't a euro member.

Yes, just as the US and the Eurozone would have to contribute to a bailout of the UK economy if it got into trouble.

Welcome to the interconnected world.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

JonathanD said:

Darling signed us up for the bailouts. Osborne came in, said no, got us our money back and then the Eurogroup put in place their own bailout fund that didn't involve the UK or any of the other non-Euro EU countries. So the Euros could ask but there is no need for us to pay anything.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Speedy said:

Alistair said:

On the Sunday shows this morning the Trump surrogates line was that when Trump was talking about the election being rigged he was talking about the biased media coverage, not election fraud as that would be Crazy to do so without evidence.

The surrogate's Stirling performance was rewarded with this fabulously on message Trump tweet.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/787699930718695425

Too many tweets make a ....twaaaaa....Trump...as some bloke whose name I can't remember once said.
    He is right about the media.

I would support a ban on journalism (not reporting, I consider those two separate things) since it's so much debased and abused everywhere, including Britain.

Anyway the risks of a civil war in america have never been higher for the last 140 years:

https://twitter.com/jimmorrill/status/787730586622423041
    Today on PB: let's ban journalism.

Only from the PB Leaver Corbynista Trumpers.

Only on PB.
    Trump: Ban fact checking.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    Any talk of American civil war is completely barking. The divide is mostly within the right, which is being torn apart, the sane conservatives versus the insane anti government crowd, Reagan vs Trump, as it were. The Democrat division is chicken feed in comparison. How much of Trump's support is that extreme and not the moderates? 10%? 20% at a really big push.

As for a 'war', on one side you have the mostly old, mostly poor, mostly less well informed, on the other everyone else including the political, military and economic establishment. It would be over in less time than that pathetic Turkish coup a few months ago.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Yes, just as the US and the Eurozone would have to contribute to a bailout of the UK economy if it got into trouble.

Welcome to the interconnected world.
    See also the Nordic Council loan to Iceland or the UK's bilateral loan the RoI as part of the € bail out. *Sighs*
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    TOPPING said:

Oh, and immigration.

I was discussing influence and the fairly non-existent presence of it.

The deal Dave did tells you all you need to know about our influence on immigation alongside the Turkey payout provoked by Merkel acting like the Empress of Europe.

The bailout of Greece is another example, and earlier this week Moscovici was babbling on about advances on FTT.

https://www.accountancyage.com/2016/10/14/european-commission-told-to-draft-financial-transaction-tax-by-year-end/

"Influence" is inferior to independence and authority.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    Mortimer said:

Indeed. We're apparently far more in touch with the ordinary voter.
    17 million voted to Leave, 16 million voted to stay including a majority of working people so can we please dispense with this tedious and ludicrous notion that Brexit was some sort of huge uprising of the "ordinary voter" and all this "will of the people" crap we hear on a daily basis.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Thrak said:

Any talk of American civil war is completely barking. The divide is mostly within the right, which is being torn apart, the sane conservatives versus the insane anti government crowd, Reagan vs Trump, as it were. The Democrat division is chicken feed in comparison. How much of Trump's support is that extreme and not the moderates? 10%? 20% at a really big push.

As for a 'war', on one side you have the mostly old, mostly poor, mostly less well informed, on the other everyone else including the political, military and economic establishment. It would be over in less time than that pathetic Turkish coup a few months ago.

Agree. Although some of them probably have enough weapons and tinned food to hold out for quite some time.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

JonathanD said:

2003: £1 = €1.37

2016: £1 = €1.12

I am not sure which currency is collapsing !
    The £ was worth about €1.12 for much of 2010-2013

It is at historically low levels versus the dollar, though.

Relatedly, I've just come back from a nice Times Travel jaunt around the swishiest hotels on Dartmoor (the tasting menu at Gidleigh Park - OMG)

The four and five star hotels were absolutely RAMMED with continental Europeans and Americans. I'd put the percentage of Brit holidaymakers at 10%. And the hotels were all full to bursting.

Dartmoor is popular in October with Germans etc, but this was something special.

Brexit has certainly been good for the UK's hospitality industry, especially at the higher end.
    It's good for the economy in general (financial services exempted).

2017 might be a very good year for the economy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    ITV news says Hillary hasn't been seen in public this weekend.

Just how bloody weird is this election campaign?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Dromedary said:

Speedy said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

Alistair said:

Dromedary said:

She may not have a Willie in her cabinet, but she's got a Johnson, and he's a right pr*ck! (Warning: that image is not safe for work.)

Meanwhile, there is nearly half a million pounds laying Clinton at 1.17-1.19 at Betfair.

Barring another Clinton Collapse we could see her go off at 1.05 on election day.
    That's a big proviso for a lady who will enter her 70th year in 10 days' time and who had pneumonia a month ago.
    Terrorist attacks could help Trump. So could a flare-up between Russia and the US in Syria. Most of the discourse about "Putin's" role in this election has been superficial and one-dimensional and not exactly flowing from a deep understanding of the capabilities of Russian intelligence and the nature of modern warfare.
    Speedy said:

Anyway the risks of a civil war in america have never been higher for the last 140 years

Yes, and regardless of who wins the election.

Terrorist attacks have only helped Hillary, flare-ups with Russia have only helped Hillary.
    I watched Trump's price rise for several hours in response to the New York skip bombing of 17 September.
    The betting expects it to be good for Trump but the polling almost always turns out it isn't.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, and immigration.

The deal Dave did tells you all you need to know about our influence on immigation alongside the Turkey payout provoked by Merkel acting like the Empress of Europe.

The bailout of Greece is another example, and earlier this week Moscovici was babbling on about advances on FTT.

https://www.accountancyage.com/2016/10/14/european-commission-told-to-draft-financial-transaction-tax-by-year-end/

The FTT would only apply to the 10 EU countries that signed up for it. The rest have an opt-out. Exactly how is that evidence of the nasty EU? I'd hate to think you'd voted Leave because you hadn't read beyond the headline.
  • Options

Why risk it...The only thing that can stop her winning is her doing a face plant again. All she needs to do is turn up to the third debate, repeat the focus grouped patter and let Trump blow himself up.
  • Options

It's almost like there's a large important set piece that's going to be watched by millions coming up that she is preparing for.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    edited October 2016
    JonathanD said:

Speedy said:

JonathanD said:

Darling signed us up for the bailouts. Osborne came in, said no, got us our money back and then the Eurogroup put in place their own bailout fund that didn't involve the UK or any of the other non-Euro EU countries. So the Euros could ask but there is no need for us to pay anything.
    The bailout cost is irrelevant compared to the collateral damage. In or out of the EU, we are sufficiently intertwined with the European economies (both trade and finance) that serious problems for the Euro would mean serious problems for us also.
  • Options

She has decided to stop campaigning for a week now.

No idea if it's debate preparation or smugness that she no longer needs to campaign.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

Debate on Wednesday, usual to do prep isn't it? Or maybe she's having the steroids flushed out of her system or something, just in case WADA come calling.

• Options
    Speedy said:

No idea if it's debate preparation or smugness that she no longer needs to campaign.
    Or illness.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Speedy said:

Pong said:

I doubt about that.
    [snip]
    This study would appear to indicate otherwise. It's based on the annual Military Times poll and is analysed without any associated methological criticism by the WAPO so it seems pretty kosher.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/only-43-8-percent-of-military-identify-as-republican-down-from-56-percent-in-2005/
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

The FTT would only apply to the 10 EU countries that signed up for it. The rest have an opt-out. Exactly how is that evidence of the nasty EU? I'd hate to think you'd voted Leave because you hadn't read beyond the headline.

I voted leave without a single thought or consideration for the City of London. There's a Britain beyond it.
  • Options

SeanT said:

PROPER Brexit for PROPER People!
    Local Brexit for local people who were born here? Be careful what you cheer for...
    Sorry, not sure what you're scaremongering about here?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    SeanT said:

This dickhead Jackson is on David Davis's negotiating team. Depressing.
    To be fair to Jackson, the Economist is a pile of crud these days.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

In any other Presidential race *ever* not campaigning for a week would end in defeat....
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It's almost like there's a large important set piece that's going to be watched by millions coming up that she is preparing for.
    That might be a valid point if Hillary hadn't been part of the top team running America for 8 years. How much prep does she still need?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Probably the least wounding insult in the history of the internet.
  • Options

SeanT said:

We finally find something to agree on Mr Walker!
  • Options
    Thrak said:

Debate on Wednesday, usual to do prep isn't it? Or maybe she's having the steroids flushed out of her system or something, just in case WADA come calling.
    Trump has events scheduled tomorrow and on Tuesday, in Colorado and Ohio.
  • Options
    Philip Hammond is a patriot and a hero. To think he is all that stands between us and the absolute catastrophe of having utter fools like Johnson, Fox, Davis, Leadsom and Patel forcing the most damaging form of Brexit on the country is sobering and frightening. Like Labour, it seems as if the Conservative party is on the brink of being captured by extremists. Hold on Phil, hold on.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, and immigration.

"Influence" is inferior to independence and authority.
    You don't understand the terms or context which you are trying to argue, or discuss. No shame in that, just that you are making reasonably uneducated guesses at the situation and it probably feels good to make them.

I am going to bed now, but if you are around tomorrow I promise to spend a bit of time explaining to you what 'influence' we have. That you should state that it is "inferior to independence and authority" is also indicative of your lack of knowledge of the subject.

A domain!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

In any other Presidential race *ever* not campaigning for a week would end in defeat....
    It is always like this in the run up to the final debate.

People said the same about Bush in 2004
  • Options
    chestnut said:

JonathanD said:

I voted leave without a single thought or consideration for the City of London. There's a Britain beyond it.
    I'm sure you did. But you were the one who mentioned the FTT, so I am simply pointing out that you don't seem to have understood it.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Let Trump self-destruct is perhaps a valid strategy. But if (if, note) he starts to claw back some of her lead, it could turn out to be an interesting flawed strategy
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Thrak said:

Agree. Although some of them probably have enough weapons and tinned food to hold out for quite some time.
    The ones who haven't been stockpiling for a while now don't deserve to survive the upcoming confrontation. Luckily the spike in weapons sales over the last 6 months or so have shown that common sense is going to see enough of them through to rebuild in a fresh and free post-SJW society.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Local Brexit for local people who were born here? Be careful what you cheer for...
    Today, it is about Europeans. Tomorrow, it could be you. These people are dangerous. We should not act like Chamberlain.
  • Options

SeanT said:

And then people on PB moan why I support dividing the media into Journalists whom mostly write their personal opinion as news, and Reporters whom mostly report the news.

And then banning Journalists because I prefer Reporters.

Case study CNN, they always have some useless models either blonde or brunette ones talking about the news, instead of reporting the news.
  • Options

That might be a valid point if Hillary hadn't been part of the top team running America for 8 years. How much prep does she still need?

You might be over-estimating the level of seriousness of the final debate...
  • Options
    Speedy said:

SeanT said:

And then people on PB moan why I support dividing the media into Journalists whom mostly write their personal opinion as news, and Reporters whom mostly report the news.

Case study CNN, they always have some useless models either blonde or brunette ones talking about the news, instead of reporting the news.
    "Whom" is not a fancy alternative spelling of "who".
  • Options
    surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Today, it is about Europeans. Tomorrow, it could be you. These people are dangerous. We should not act like Chamberlain.
    Sorry, not sure what you're scaremongering about here
  • Options
    Michael McDonald – ‏@ElectProject

Ohio still challenging for Dems early vote. 10/15/16 comparison to 10/13/12
    Coyahoga -18.1%
    Franklin -31.9%
    49 other counties +0.1%
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

Actually Presidential candidates didn't campaign until 1896:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_porch_campaign
  • Options
    chestnut said:

JonathanD said:

FTFY
  • Options

Alistair said:

They will be looking to bury the Trump campaign at debate 3. Also the moderator is not known for his love of Democrats and the subject matter has been massively expanded from just foreign policy so there is a lot of ground to cover.

And, to be frank, the people who have been doing the campaigning for her this last week are all much better campaigners than her. It's almost no loss to the Dem campaign for Hilary not be involved.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

Is 'from whence it came' acceptable or an insult to the English language?
  • Options

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

He is suggesting that those who voted Leave are Nazi's.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    nunu said:

Coyahoga -18.1%
    Franklin -31.9%
    49 other counties +0.1%

Trump is going to win Ohio and Iowa and lose N.Carolina.

I will not be shocked if the result is exactly like 2012 with the above exemption.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JonathanD said:

chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, and immigration.

chestnut's wider point is good though. If the UK had real clout, the EU would have offered us a better deal than that ludicrous pile of shite Cameron served up before the referendum.

Theoretically the UK SHOULD have influence, and in some practical forms we do, but we are not in the DNA of the EU the same way as France and Germany. We were not there at the conception, so we never have the rights of a parent. We're like a rich boozy uncle who brings champagne to the Christmas dinner table, and gets sage and onion stuffing and a temporary kind of family in return. But we're not intrinsic, and arguments develop every Boxing Day.

It's a nice metaphor, but arguably the two greatest achievements of the EU: the Single Market and Eastern Enlargement were largely UK initiatives.

Arguably we didn't get a better deal from Cameron's negotiation because he was lazy, arrogant and complacent.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Ishmael_X said:

Y0kel said:

Ishmael_X said:

Y0kel said:

Indigo said:

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

If the EU want to play hardball, fine, we'll just reduce security co-operation. They want to talk big? Lets see them deal with that, the bastards. Your EU employed officials can be ignored, the national governments of the large EU nations where the power is really held will understand the meaning.

As for that bunch at Westminster who don't understand what referendums are about, good luck to Labour in particular, as the areas in the North of England who voted for no, by some margin in many cases, react to attempts to turn that vote on its head.

LOL, will we remove our handful of bathtubs and couple of platoons of infantry.
    I think we offer a little more than that being the only EU member of the Five Eyes.
    Scotland doesn't though, its got a pitiful capability on intelligence security. Literally s**t, zero contribution, zero capability, its nearly all provided by other parts of the UK for them.
    Are you joking? It is absolutely all provided by the UK government; there is a general reservation of "defence", and a specific reservation under Head B of "national security and counter-terrorism". It would be unlawful for Scotland to have any "capability on intelligence security".
    Yes I was.
    ok sorry - can be hard to tell in the prevailing nuttiness.
    He only said that becaUSE HE WAS CALLED OUT FOR BEING A BELLEND
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

You don't understand the terms or context which you are trying to argue, or discuss. No shame in that, just that you are making reasonably uneducated guesses at the situation and it probably feels good to make them.

I am going to bed now, but if you are around tomorrow I promise to spend a bit of time explaining to you what 'influence' we have. That you should state that it is "inferior to independence and authority" is also indicative of your lack of knowledge of the subject.

A domain!

I don't mean to be rude but I suspect your profession - I'm guessing finance/City - means you have very little grasp or exposure to the societal aspects of this.

There does seem to be a tendency among the finance/pensions people on here to think their world is the be all and end all. Again, there is a much bigger Britain beyond.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

nunu said:

Coyahoga -18.1%
    Franklin -31.9%
    49 other counties +0.1%

I will not be shocked if the result is exactly like 2012 with the above exemption.
    Yep. 100% agree.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Let Trump self-destruct is perhaps a valid strategy. But if (if, note) he starts to claw back some of her lead, it could turn out to be an interesting flawed strategy
    You're right, a week of tight, disciplined campaigning focused on the issues that matter will get Trump right back into this

Check Trump Twitter feed
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/787612552654155776
    Oh...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Speedy said:

I thought you where a lawyer. </block

More like a fantasist
  • Options
    edited October 2016

FTFY

You must have been frothing for hours. :wink:

• Options
    SeanT said:

chestnut said:

JonathanD said:

FTFY
    There was no realistic philosophical alternative to Brexit. It was coming, whatever. Merely a question of WHEN.
    Similar to death in that respect, then.
    I preferred to stave it off for a while, others seem(ed) to welcome oblivion.

We are here now though. We must find the least painful parting and figure out how to maximise the upsides. There must be some.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Speedy said:

SeanT said:

Is 'from whence it came' acceptable or an insult to the English language?
    Fine by me, as is I'm not saying nothing (meaning I'm not saying anything)
  • Options
    Speedy said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Anti-Semite Adolf believed in a single European Superstate.

Believe in Britain! Be LEAVE!
  • Options
    nunu said:

Speedy said:

nunu said:

Coyahoga -18.1%
    Franklin -31.9%
    49 other counties +0.1%

Yep. 100% agree.
    Indeed, 322-216 with Hillary winning by a 4% margin nationally is probably the safest estimate now.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    chestnut said:

FTFY

You must have been frothing for hours. :wink:

No. Went away, came back and see you're still being schooled by PB luminaries.
  • Options
    Good Night Everyone. It looks like we're getting a Methadone Brexit thanks to Hammond and the Treasury's internal clout. May will then present it as Dunkirk Brexit. A defeat in any conventional terms but it will enter our mythology with pride as it will involve a wirhdrawal from Europe. So that's that then. Until the next media cycle tells us something completely different. What a time to be alive !
  • Options
    edited October 2016

No. Went away, came back and see you're still be schooled by PB luminaries.

Not quite. Nice try though.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

Freaky and intense thunderstorms over London. Lightning flashes over Primrose Hill. Odd.

Just heard. But can't hear any rain. Most unusual.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    SeanT said:

JonathanD said:

chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, and immigration.

chestnut's wider point is good though. If the UK had real clout, the EU would have offered us a better deal than that ludicrous pile of shite Cameron served up before the referendum.

Theoretically the UK SHOULD have influence, and in some practical forms we do, but we are not in the DNA of the EU the same way as France and Germany. We were not there at the conception, so we never have the rights of a parent. We're like a rich boozy uncle who brings champagne to the Christmas dinner table, and gets sage and onion stuffing and a temporary kind of family in return. But we're not intrinsic, and arguments develop every Boxing Day.

Alternatively the pile of shite was merely an opening offer which no one expected Cameron to accept, and if he had persevered we could have had a deal reflecting our clout, but Cameron was too lazy and conceited to bother. Edit sorry point already made by Gw.
  • Options

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Anti-Semite Adolf believed in a single European Superstate.

Believe in Britain! Be LEAVE!
    That's a bit of luck. As a Leaver I thought I'd now have to get an SS Death's Head embroidered on my kippah.

That would have confused them down the synagogue on a Friday night.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

SeanT said:

JonathanD said:

chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, and immigration.

Alternatively the pile of shite was merely an opening offer which no one expected Cameron to accept, and if he had persevered we could have had a deal reflecting our clout, but Cameron was too lazy and conceited to bother.
    Cameron's legacy is so confusing.

Without Brexit, I would have put him in the top flight. It's easy to forget how terribly screwed things seemed in 2008/9 and also how challenging to run a coalition government.

But Brexit immediately puts him on a par with Chamberlain. Even if it turns out successful in 25 years, he might only get promotion to Brown.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Is any website reporting that Clinton is taking a week off? I haven't been able to find any yet.

Far from being unremarkable because normal, or even sensible, disappearing for several days would be idiotic if by choice. It would give a lot of ammunition to her opponent regarding her health, which is one of the main things he's focusing on in his TV advertising.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Freaky and intense thunderstorms over London. Lightning flashes over Primrose Hill. Odd.

Just heard. But can't hear any rain. Most unusual.
    Nothing over Ilford - yet, but may come our way:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
  • Options
    chestnut said:

You mean the majority of the public who aren't involved in 'spivving'?

Poor show old fruit.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Ishmael_X said:

SeanT said:

JonathanD said:

chestnut said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, and immigration.

Alternatively the pile of shite was merely an opening offer which no one expected Cameron to accept, and if he had persevered we could have had a deal reflecting our clout, but Cameron was too lazy and conceited to bother.
    Cameron's legacy is so confusing.

Without Brexit, I would have put him in the top flight. It's easy to forget how terribly screwed things seemed in 2008/9 and also how challenging to run a coalition government.

But Brexit immediately puts him on a par with Chamberlain. Even if it turns out successful in 25 years, he might only get promotion to Brown.
    Cameron may well be fondly remembered as a great democrat. History views Major far more favourably than he was at the time. Blair has had the opposite effect with time.
This discussion has been closed.