Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May doesn’t have a Willie and it shows. She urgently a

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Unlikely as it is, if Hammond goes I can see Boris following. It would be the perfect excuse to extricate himself from a devastated government and the ensuing horror show. He can then return as the Tories' savour later on in the piece (if it isn't all too late by then, of course).

Remoaners talking about a devastated government are engaging in the most delusional of wishful thinking. There are no real obstacles to the current government that cannot be overcome - except the rest of Europe - who can be blamed if they play silly beggars.

I think some of the Remain hard core would rather see Corbyn in power, just so long as they got May out of office.
    Says the man who spent the last few years supporting a party dedicated to removing Cameron from office.
    Let me explain the initials UKIP for you...

Little to do with Cameron, almost everything to do with his Europhilia.
    The idea that Cameron was some kind of foaming Europhile is farcical.

Cavalier in his constitutional responsbilities, yes.
    Unconvinced by the case for leaving the EU, certainly.
    An incompetent negotiator, I'll let you have.

To headbangers like you, everyone's a Europhile. Indeed use of the word is one of the classic symptoms of headbangerism.

Possibly, you have a terminal case.
    If you had been here more than 5 minutes, you'd realise that I had been a huge cheerleader for my fellow BNC alumnus for a decade. I dedicated a decent proportion of 2015 helping to get him a majority.

I was on the fence and hoped to be persuaded by a decent deal. I wasn't. And on top of domestic balls ups - especially the 2016 Budget - demonstrated how out of touch Cameron and Osborne were with our people.

If I'm a headbanger, then so are the majority of the Tory supporting public. You know - the highest number in all current opinion polls. Overwhelmingly.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,320
    edited October 2016
    chestnut said:

Mortimer said:

nielh said:

IanB2 said:

nielh said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

To be fair, Mrs Thatcher also spent many, many years at odds with her chancellor.

This is the problem in a nutshell.
    The problem is that 52% is NOT any kind of resounding, absolute mandate. It is paraded about as if it was such a unaminous decision there is no way back. We are all brexiters now. blah blah blah.
    As if it was 96/4 or something, like the Hungarian migrant referendum. Or even 68/32, like the 1975 result.
    But 52/48 is nothing like that.
    Motivated leavers only make up a relatively small part of the 52%. Many others will have been persuaded by claims made in the referendum. I won't rehearse them here, but many of the claims have been discredited by events.
    The longer the gov't put off triggering Art 50, the more this becomes apparent.
    They want to freeze June 24th in time. But the world is very volatile and things are changing rapidly in politics.
    This is the leavers dilemma.

yes - this.
    The post referendum phase saw the agenda seized by a hard brexit minority.
    I think May's correlation between the referendum result and the hard brexit agenda, even if it is only a negotiating stance, is an attempt to thrust us in a minority direction, that is what the current parliamentary debate is all about . And what many Eurosceptic remainers (like myself) feared most about the referendum.
    There is no mandate for Hard Brexit, as George Osborne says.
    Leave said they'd be outside of the single market. There is therefore most definitely a mandate.
    Which Leave?
    There were multiple Leaves, and no particular manifesto. That's why when Cameron resigned, Gove et al shrugged and screamed "we weren't supposed to come up with a plan!"

In that, they were right.

And you are wrong.
    Leave/Independence is whatever the government of the day decide. It's subject to perpetual change as we change governments and the electorate revises it's wishes. Fairly easy concept, surely?
    as is the idea that everyone else, from its own MPs through the opposition down to us lowly mortals following events, is perfectly entitled to lobby, argue and pressure for our own preferred direction.
  • Options
    More important at this stage to keep toxifying the brand of and dismantling the psychology of Brexit. It was portrayed as a super Brand. Something you could buy that would instantly make a younger and fitter and sexier. It was portrayed a fresh start. A national diet or detox or new Gym membership. Every day that passes, every complication, every compromise, every abandoned pledge helps toxify the Brexit Brand. We don't even have to make Brexit very unpopular. Just level the Killing Field. We can turn Brexit into just another government policy carried out by just more politicans. Pluses and minuses but just more politics. We need to aim for the late January effect where everyone is sick of the diet, no one has been paid since Christmas and the gym membership is unused. Then we can start of stage 2 which is making Brexit May's Poll Tax. But we need Stage 1 first. There are no short cuts. Dig in chaps this is only just starting.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Incoherent.

That's your way of saying you don't have a clue, isn't it?

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    chestnut said:

nielh said:

The problem is that 52% is NOT any kind of resounding, absolute mandate. It is paraded about as if it was such a unaminous decision there is no way back. We are all brexiters now. blah blah blah.
    As if it was 96/4 or something, like the Hungarian migrant referendum. Or even 68/32, like the 1975 result.
    Motivated leavers only make up a relatively small part of the 52%. Many others will have been persuaded by claims made in the referendum. I won't rehearse them here, but many of the claims have been discredited by events.
    They want to freeze June 24th in time. But the world is very volatile and things are changing rapidly in politics.

Scotland Leave/Yes polled 45% and lost in SIndy, yet who is driving the agenda up there? The Leave UK lot.

Why? They have one aim that unifies them beyond usual tribal affiliation.

Scotland Remain/No bods however loathe each other, so are divided and a pretty incompetent electoral force as a consequence.

Transpose that onto the EU debate and then try to imagine Corbyn sympathisers voting Osborne, and Osborne fans voting Jezza.

It's fairly obvious that working class Labour and UKIP leavers will back Theresa just as Tartan Tories and Glaswegian Labourites have backed Sturgeon to dominance up in Scotland.
    Saor Alba
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,864

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Unlikely as it is, if Hammond goes I can see Boris following. It would be the perfect excuse to extricate himself from a devastated government and the ensuing horror show. He can then return as the Tories' savour later on in the piece (if it isn't all too late by then, of course).

Remoaners talking about a devastated government are engaging in the most delusional of wishful thinking. There are no real obstacles to the current government that cannot be overcome - except the rest of Europe - who can be blamed if they play silly beggars.

I think some of the Remain hard core would rather see Corbyn in power, just so long as they got May out of office.
    Says the man who spent the last few years supporting a party dedicated to removing Cameron from office.

To headbangers like you, everyone's a Europhile. Indeed use of the word is one of the classic symptoms of headbangerism.

How would you describe someone who by his own admission would never have argued that we should Leave?
    Unconvinced, as above.
    Or would you have him argue against his beliefs?

But, lack of conviction in Brexit does not make you a "Europhile". To claim that is just the political equivalent of "locker room talk".
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Incoherent.

That's your way of saying you don't have a clue, isn't it?

Nope, it's my way of saying I cannot tell whether you do or not.

I am going to go with "not".
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    edited October 2016
    Moses_ said:

Ok what figure was needed. Why was that figure stated before the polls opened? I would suggestRemain thought they were going to win and win easily so didn't bother. As they did not bother then it works on a majority unless you can point me to anywhere, anywhere at all that states it must be a 53% minimum or more is required or for that matter any figure? Any at all anywhere???

If you can't then just give it a rest eh?

It was a majority on the terms Cameron set. Vote leave then I will trigger article 50 the next day and the world will end etc.
    Cameron didn't trigger article 50. Osborne, Carney and co calmed down the markets. Cameron Quit.
    The 'phoney peace' began. The world didn't end. The daily express propaganda machine told us the economy was booming. etc etc
    Unfortuanately for you guys, the terms of the debate changed.

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

More important at this stage to keep toxifying the brand of and dismantling the psychology of Brexit. It was portrayed as a super Brand. Something you could buy that would instantly make a younger and fitter and sexier. It was portrayed a fresh start. A national diet or detox or new Gym membership. Every day that passes, every complication, every compromise, every abandoned pledge helps toxify the Brexit Brand. We don't even have to make Brexit very unpopular. Just level the Killing Field. We can turn Brexit into just another government policy carried out by just more politicans. Pluses and minuses but just more politics. We need to aim for the late January effect where everyone is sick of the diet, no one has been paid since Christmas and the gym membership is unused. Then we can start of stage 2 which is making Brexit May's Poll Tax. But we need Stage 1 first. There are no short cuts. Dig in chaps this is only just starting.

Or you could make the positive case for EU membership?

Ah, no, I see the problem with that now.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106

Going for Gold

A blast from the (more harmonious) European past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2dt5TIzuk
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited October 2016
    nielh said:

Moses_ said:

Ok what figure was needed. Why was that figure stated before the polls opened? I would suggestRemain thought they were going to win and win easily so didn't bother. As they did not bother then it works on a majority unless you can point me to anywhere, anywhere at all that states it must be a 53% minimum or more is required or for that matter any figure? Any at all anywhere???

It was a majority on the terms Cameron set. Vote leave then I will trigger article 50 the next day and the world will end etc.
    Cameron didn't trigger article 50. Osborne, Carney and co calmed down the markets. Cameron Quit.
    The 'phoney peace' began. The world didn't end. The daily express propaganda machine told us the economy was booming. etc etc

So no figure then, anywhere...at all. What a surprise. Give it a rest then eh?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

How would you describe someone who by his own admission would never have argued that we should Leave?
    Unconvinced, as above.
    Or would you have him argue against his beliefs?

But, lack of conviction in Brexit does not make you a "Europhile". To claim that is just the political equivalent of "locker room talk".
    It wasn't a lack of conviction in Leave, it was that he always thought we should Remain. A Europhile.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

‘ISIS-supporting' group (CAGE) that claimed Jihadi John ‘wouldn’t hurt fly’ is given Home Office visas allowing it to bring in foreign workers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3840832/Home-Office-grants-visas-ISIS-supporting-charity-described-Jihadi-John-beautiful-young-man.html

When and who was Home Secretary and what is her job now? Is the Mail (which quotes a Mirror story) being naughty?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

nielh said:

Scotland Leave/Yes polled 45% and lost in SIndy, yet who is driving the agenda up there? The Leave UK lot.

Scotland Remain/No bods however loathe each other, so are divided and a pretty incompetent electoral force as a consequence.

Transpose that onto the EU debate and then try to imagine Corbyn sympathisers voting Osborne, and Osborne fans voting Jezza.

It's fairly obvious that working class Labour and Sour AlbaUKIP leavers will back Theresa just as Tartan Tories and Glaswegian Labourites have backed Sturgeon to dominance up in Scotland.
    Saor Alba
    Sour Alba

with Nicola Vinegar
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

If you had been here more than 5 minutes, you'd realise that I had been a huge cheerleader for my fellow BNC alumnus for a decade. I dedicated a decent proportion of 2015 helping to get him a majority.

I was on the fence and hoped to be persuaded by a decent deal. I wasn't. And on top of domestic balls ups - especially the 2016 Budget - demonstrated how out of touch Cameron and Osborne were with our people.

If I'm a headbanger, then so are the majority of the Tory supporting public. You know - the highest number in all current opinion polls. Overwhelmingly.
    I'm calling you a headbanger because you keep calling Remainer Tories/Orange Bookers/Miliband type Labourites as headbangers and you describe David Cameron as a "Europhile".

I think the first claim is an attempt to delegitimise the centre of public opinion, and the second is as explained just farcical.
  • Options

‘ISIS-supporting' group (CAGE) that claimed Jihadi John ‘wouldn’t hurt fly’ is given Home Office visas allowing it to bring in foreign workers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3840832/Home-Office-grants-visas-ISIS-supporting-charity-described-Jihadi-John-beautiful-young-man.html

When and who was Home Secretary and what is her job now? Is the Mail (which quotes a Mirror story) being naughty?
    What was the nickname the Leadsomites called her? Theresa May's Home Office record coming back to haunt her will just add to her Brexit problems.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    edited October 2016

Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:
    I picked up on this a while ago. Media running "Fact Check!!!" Articles full of partisan spin and semantic nitpicking really don't inform the public about anything except media bias.
    There is also the bias by omission. CNN live "fact checking" on the second debate was basically all checks on what Trump said, I think only 2 on Clinton, of which neither were big claims.

Now one might say that is because Trump just comes out with whoppers every other sentence, but even from that link Clinton when she screams fact check fact check on my website, actually she isn't being truthful.
    The US network 'news' is completely unwatchable now, for all the reasons discussed ad nausium for weeks on here.

I wonder if someone might get the idea that especially in the run up to an election, an impartial news channel - run along the same sort of editorial lines as the UK operates - might be a massive gap in the market for those who wish to be informed, rather than told (loudly) what to think?

From the top of my head, four organisations could do it, free of political ads:
    PBS
    HBO
    Netflix
    Amazon.

Four years from now the media market in the US will be very different from what it is now, with the latter two on my list much more dominant than they are in 2016. It will be interesting to see if anyone takes up my idea.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

I'm calling you a headbanger because you keep calling Remainer Tories/Orange Bookers/Miliband type Labourites as headbangers and you describe David Cameron as a "Europhile".

I think the first claim is an attempt to delegitimise the centre of public opinion, and the second is as explained just farcical.
    Headbangers continue to moan about one issue to the exclusion of all others. And they try to frustrate the government.

Remarkably, the new headbangers also want to frustrate the will of the people. Perhaps given their Europhilia we should call them Les Headbangers. Sounds like a perfect description of Soubry et al to me.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

You won. We lost. You are the Master's now. You have a Brexit led government committed to delivering Brexit. Keeping as much of the eurosphere as possible for the UK is now an opposition campaign and needs to function as such. With the added advantage of the eurosphere being the Status Quo. We don't need to achieve anything just stop/limit your changes. Europhobia plated on opposition status very well for 43 years. But you won so the roles are reversed now. You'll get used to it eventually.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

nielh said:

Moses_ said:

So no figure then, anywhere...at all. What a surprise. Give it a rest then eh?
    You seem awfully keen on telling people to give it a rest.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Interesting piece of gossip I picked up this weekend. Can't vouch for its accuracy.

Apparently Boris emailed Cameron *midway through* the Brexit campaign to explore defecting. Someone in Cameron's office decided that he didn't need to see that email so didn't pass it on...
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    If the EU want to play hardball, fine, we'll just reduce security co-operation. They want to talk big? Lets see them deal with that, the bastards. Your EU employed officials can be ignored, the national governments of the large EU nations where the power is really held will understand the meaning.

As for that bunch at Westminster who don't understand what referendums are about, good luck to Labour in particular, as the areas in the North of England who voted for no, by some margin in many cases, react to attempts to turn that vote on its head.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited October 2016
    Why don't we for a moment take what the EU says at face value.

Suppose there is no "being pushed toward a softer BrExit", maybe there is only "IN", or there is "WTO". Maybe we are dreaming about Soft BrExit and it doesn't exist.

A full four-freedoms IN is a guaranteed election loss, with no possibility of shifting the blame onto anyone else, and quite likely 25% for the UKIPs even if they are led by Mr Punch.

So she has a choice of a guaranteed election lose, or a maybe election loss if it goes badly and she doesn't manage to blame someone else.

No choice at all.
  • Options
    The other discussion this weekend was whether Article 263 withdrawal would be a viable alternative to Article 50 (which would also have the benefit of irritating the French). Does anyone know how that would work?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Charles, if someone saw that and then thought it didn't need passing on they're bloody stupid.

If it's true.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

If the EU want to play hardball, fine, we'll just reduce security co-operation. They want to talk big? Lets see them deal with that, the bastards. Your EU employed officials can be ignored, the national governments of the large EU nations where the power is really held will understand the meaning.

As for that bunch at Westminster who don't understand what referendums are about, good luck to Labour in particular, as the areas in the North of England who voted for no, by some margin in many cases, react to attempts to turn that vote on its head.

Would be very brave, and poison UK/Europe relations for many years.

Its the nuclear weapon of Brexit. Nice to know we have it, but hope we never use it.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

nielh said:

It's fairly obvious that working class Labour and Sour AlbaUKIP leavers will back Theresa just as Tartan Tories and Glaswegian Labourites have backed Sturgeon to dominance up in Scotland.
    Saor Alba
    Sour Alba

with Nicola Vinegar
    Dear Dear Alan, not up to your usual standards. Hope all is well with you , given they are going radio rental down south.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Suppose there is no "being pushed toward a softer BrExit", maybe there is only "IN", or there is "WTO". Maybe we are dreaming about Soft BrExit and it doesn't exist.

Imagine there's no WTO. It's easy if you try.

http://www.ictsd.org/opinion/nothing-simple-about-uk-regaining-wto-status-post-brexit
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

LOL, will we remove our handful of bathtubs and couple of platoons of infantry.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    If Hammond does go there are plenty of highly qualified eurosceptics that can replace him. John Redwood, Kwasi Kwarteng or Adam Afriyie. He'd be wise to Remain in post. Historically has a recent chancellor ever quit before their first budget/statement?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2016

Nope, it's my way of saying I cannot tell whether you do or not.

I am going to go with "not".

"but but but services......"

Dear me.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457
    On topic, Hammond has a chance to lay out his economic strategy in the Autumn Statement next month, on Wednesday 23 November 2016.

Unless May severely curtails his freedom of action, I suspect we will find out more then.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Interesting piece of gossip I picked up this weekend. Can't vouch for its accuracy.

Apparently Boris emailed Cameron *midway through* the Brexit campaign to explore defecting. Someone in Cameron's office decided that he didn't need to see that email so didn't pass it on...

Wow if true.

Surely he'd have picked up the phone to speak to the PM's Diary Secretary directly, if he had wanted a serious discussion about it?

There are going to be several good books written about the last 18 months in British politics. And some more written about the same period in American politics.

I can well understand why the incoming PM didn't want any of the outgoing PMs staff around for a minute longer than necessary.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

nielh said:

Saor Alba
    Sour Alba

with Nicola Vinegar
    Dear Dear Alan, not up to your usual standards. Hope all is well with you , given they are going radio rental down south.
    Ive not seen anything mental in the Midalnds. Nobody's talking Brexit down here it's mostly stuff for the London chatterati.

I think theyre struggling with the fact they can be ignored.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Mr. Charles, if someone saw that and then thought it didn't need passing on they're bloody stupid.

If it's true.

Unless Mr Charles is part of a very small circle close to no. 10 (in which case I wonder whether he would have posted the rumour at all) I would have thought such a suggestion would have made it onto order-order or somewhere similar, by now (if true)(edit/and quite possibly if not)?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,515
    tyson said:

Oooh you are naughty TSE.

FWIW...I was having lunch today, and I came to the real conclusion that May is just game playing...the whole thing. Hammond too. It's a classy double act..in reality they are thick as thieves. This is all just one charade..May threw some red meat with the grammar schools that will not happen, and now she is using the prospect of hard Brexit, and all that entails to ball bust a few folk, and make it look like she's trying.

I've seen the film...at the end all is well. We'll stay in the single market and May will get some extra concessions on immigration, but we have to go through the dramas first.

What I certainly agree is true is that everyone is on maneuvers at the moment - The EU, the Government, the CBI, the banks etc.

Interpreting every rumour as Trafalgar or the Retreat From Kabul is ludicrous. The real value at the moment is trying to see what has actually happened, and why.

For example, the Hinkley Point. One thing that no-one has mentioned was the EDF/French government position on it. I would not be surprised if the delay on the deal was at least partly based on calculating whether the French wanted the plan to go ahead (and which group of the French wanted what), and what that would be worth in diplomatic chips. There was quite a large group in EDF (and the French Government by extension) that didn't want the deal to go ahead - they thought it would be damaging to EDF.

Does anyone know much about the pro Hinkley point/EDF people on the French side of things, politically?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

I think we offer a little more than that being the only EU member of the Five Eyes.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    Charles said:

Surely if Boris was serious, he has a direct line to Dave and / or people very close to Dave that aren't part of the machine. I highly doubt Boris has to go through the plebs to get to talk to member of Cameron's inner circle if required.

Also, if you were thinking doing something like this, you would want it totally off the record i.e not emailing via official channels.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457
    Y0kel said:

I love your angle ;-)

The UK has cards to play on the fact London provides the eurozone with much of its liquidity, it can withhold or make budget payments into the EU, provide military cooperation, or not, and our security services which are pack more punch than those of Germany and France combined, and some.

In exchange, the UK needs something extra on migration. So something the EU will give.
  • Options
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/10/16/gingrich_20_media_executives_are_launching_a_coup_detat_against_millions_of_trump_voters.html

Newt Gingrich: 20 Media Executives Are Launching A "Coup D'Etat" Against Millions Of Trump Voters
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If it's true.

Unless Mr Charles is part of a very small circle close to no. 10 (in which case I wonder whether he would have posted the rumour at all) I would have thought such a suggestion would have made it onto order-order or somewhere similar, by now (if true)(edit/and quite possibly if not)?
    Alternatively, it was the sort of story planted slightly differently with each of a number of people, in an attempt to flush out the mole who was feeding either Guido or the Leave campaign.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,914
    Mortimer said:

There is no way that Brexiters are going to get away with continuing to blame "the rest of Europe" fit things go tits up, it will be a shambles entirely of their own making.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    Essexit said:

(Snip)
    It's pointless to try given the attitudes of some on here.

Before the referendum I tried to use the example of mobile phones, where the EU massively helped European companies gain a world footing in the 1980s and 1990s: examples being Vodafone and Nokia, along with many smaller companies. It was relatively minor and boring things (like reserving frequencies and making GSM a mandatory standard). Yet these small enabling changes, done Europe-wide, had a massive effect. And in a quite unusual turn of events, it was all agreed in much less than a year.

These EU rules and MOUs meant that 'our' standard, GSM could be sold around the world with the full force of Europe behind it, whereas the US lost out due to the battle between competing standards. It was a perfect example where cooperation between EU scientists, organisations, and companies, was embraced into EU law to the advantage of everyone. The reservation of frequencies was a particularly vital move.

And as part of the EU, our scientists, organisations, and companies had our say. The UK government were particularly important in pushing it forwards.

Sadly, some Europhobes on here argued against the point, denying that the EU had anything to do with those companies' success, despite all the evidence otherwise. I daresay some of them will be doing so now.

This blindness to fact by some Europhobes was the most annoying thing about the referendum to me: the fact that their religion could not stand *any* contention that there might be *any* good in the EU, whatever the evidence.

Having said that, the EU didn't even try to make a positive case. They were complacent, and no-one has accepted responsibility for that yet. Their failure to even contemplate that people in countries around the EU do not share their vision for Europe is intensely damaging to their project.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

There is no way that Brexiters are going to get away with continuing to blame "the rest of Europe" fit things go tits up, it will be a shambles entirely of their own making.
    actually I suspect they will
  • Options
    Indigo said:

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

I think we offer a little more than that being the only EU member of the Five Eyes.
    Scotland doesn't though, its got a pitiful capability on intelligence security. Literally s**t, zero contribution, zero capability, its nearly all provided by other parts of the UK for them.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/10/16/gingrich_20_media_executives_are_launching_a_coup_detat_against_millions_of_trump_voters.html

Newt Gingrich: 20 Media Executives Are Launching A "Coup D'Etat" Against Millions Of Trump Voters

How's the social media ground game going?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Just back from an excellent curry lunch and catching up. Some interesting conversation this afternoon and a special thank you to Mssrs Bedfordshire and Jessop for their earlier comments on trains to the West Country.

Exeter St. Davids station is a mile outside that city for the same reason Cambridge station is about the same distance from Cambridge. The Victorian city fathers of both places didn't want anything to do with the nasty, smelly, modern world.
  • Options

tyson said:

FWIW...I was having lunch today, and I came to the real conclusion that May is just game playing...the whole thing. Hammond too. It's a classy double act..in reality they are thick as thieves. This is all just one charade..May threw some red meat with the grammar schools that will not happen, and now she is using the prospect of hard Brexit, and all that entails to ball bust a few folk, and make it look like she's trying.

I've seen the film...at the end all is well. We'll stay in the single market and May will get some extra concessions on immigration, but we have to go through the dramas first.

What I certainly agree is true is that everyone is on maneuvers at the moment - The EU, the Government, the CBI, the banks etc.

Interpreting every rumour as Trafalgar or the Retreat From Kabul is ludicrous. The real value at the moment is trying to see what has actually happened, and why.

For example, the Hinkley Point. One thing that no-one has mentioned was the EDF/French government position on it. I would not be surprised if the delay on the deal was at least partly based on calculating whether the French wanted the plan to go ahead (and which group of the French wanted what), and what that would be worth in diplomatic chips. There was quite a large group in EDF (and the French Government by extension) that didn't want the deal to go ahead - they thought it would be damaging to EDF.

Does anyone know much about the pro Hinkley point/EDF people on the French side of things, politically?
    It will be very damaging for EDF if they can't get the damn thing working - to the point where the French government would have a somewhat devalued shareholding. That was always my assumption of the political objections to the project.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Y0kel said:

Indigo said:

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

Scotland doesn't though, its got a pitiful capability on intelligence security. Literally s**t, zero contribution, zero capability, its nearly all provided by other parts of the UK for them.
    Hardly surprising as it's not a devolved competence.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, indeed. The EU was complacent, and arrogant. The 'deal' Cameron got was worse than none at all because it displayed contempt for the legitimate grievances the electorate had with the EU and our concerns over the way things were going.
  • Options

Essexit said:

You won. We lost. You are the Master's now. You have a Brexit led government committed to delivering Brexit. Keeping as much of the eurosphere as possible for the UK is now an opposition campaign and needs to function as such. With the added advantage of the eurosphere being the Status Quo. We don't need to achieve anything just stop/limit your changes. Europhobia plated on opposition status very well for 43 years. But you won so the roles are reversed now. You'll get used to it eventually.
    Agree with most of that, including that Remainers have a right to make the case for their preferred Brexit, but why repeat the tactics which failed to win the referendum?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tyson said:

It will be very damaging for EDF if they can't get the damn thing working - to the point where the French government would have a somewhat devalued shareholding. That was always my assumption of the political objections to the project.
    The interesting bit would be to see who in the French establishment has "won" on this one. That would be actual information.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, indeed. The EU was complacent, and arrogant. The 'deal' Cameron got was worse than none at all because it displayed contempt for the legitimate grievances the electorate had with the EU and our concerns over the way things were going.

I disagree. But that ground has been gone over enough, with no side being able to convince the other. :(
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

nielh said:

Saor Alba
    Sour Alba

with Nicola Vinegar
    Ive not seen anything mental in the Midalnds. Nobody's talking Brexit down here it's mostly stuff for the London chatterati.

I think theyre struggling with the fact they can be ignored.
    I am just listening to Anarchy, been listening to springsteen , Meatloaf , U2 etc all afternoon.....brilliant
  • Options

OllyT said:

Mortimer said:

actually I suspect they will
    Remoaners underestimating loathing for EU - where have we seen that before?
  • Options

Essexit said:

(Snip)
    removing lots of good stuff for brevity's sake

This blindness to fact by some Europhobes was the most annoying thing about the referendum to me: the fact that their religion could not stand *any* contention that there might be *any* good in the EU, whatever the evidence.

Having said that, the EU didn't even try to make a positive case. They were complacent, and no-one has accepted responsibility for that yet. Their failure to even contemplate that people in countries around the EU do not share their vision for Europe is intensely damaging to their project.
    Very measured, very sane.
    Long may you continue your PB rambling.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Indigo said:

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

Don't need it. They just kick the suicide bombers till they surrender.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Indigo said:

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

Away you big jessie fanny, I bet you pulled girls pigtails as a boy. Delusions of grandeur , intelligence would be a stranger to you. A pompous whining windbag playing with your toy soldiers and feeling important.
  • Options

Y0kel said:

I love your angle ;-)

The UK has cards to play on the fact London provides the eurozone with much of its liquidity, it can withhold or make budget payments into the EU, provide military cooperation, or not, and our security services which are pack more punch than those of Germany and France combined, and some.

In exchange, the UK needs something extra on migration. So something the EU will give.
    I'm a Remainer, but if negotiations don't bring up :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_State_Treaty

I'd be unimpressed. You could argue that EU is already a breach of the treaty! Certainly they will need to get all the parties to agree to a United States of Europe...
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Y0kel said:

Indigo said:

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

Hardly surprising as it's not a devolved competence.
    The dullard is not bright enough to realise that.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

tyson said:

The interesting bit would be to see who in the French establishment has "won" on this one. That would be actual information.
    Indeed. I always wondered how the deal between the British, French and Chinese came about, there will be some greased palms somewhere and as you say political winners from the deal.

I also can't fathom why they didn't replicate what's been built out here in the sandpit, using proven Korean technology to build a larger station for considerably less money.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barakah_nuclear_power_plant

But then again, everyone out here is laughing at how the British can be *still* talking about expanding the bloody airport and not JFDI!
  • Options

Just back from an excellent curry lunch and catching up. Some interesting conversation this afternoon and a special thank you to Mssrs Bedfordshire and Jessop for their earlier comments on trains to the West Country.

Exeter St. Davids station is a mile outside that city for the same reason Cambridge station is about the same distance from Cambridge. The Victorian city fathers of both places didn't want anything to do with the nasty, smelly, modern world.

It's odd how railways have shaped towns. They created some: Swindon and Crewe being two examples: but they moulded others. Cambridge grew southwards to embrace the station. Derby grew eastwards to embrace the troika's station outside town (though in the latter case, there was a canal basin nearby and associated industries).

Incidentally, the decision of the Birmingham and Derby, the North Midland, and the Midland Counties railway to 'share' a station in Derby must have been one of the earliest examples of cooperation between companies. It is very much a shame it did not set a standard for later developments.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Agree with most of that, including that Remainers have a right to make the case for their preferred Brexit, but why repeat the tactics which failed to win the referendum?
    Not only a right, but a duty to do so.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    PlatoSaid said:

Lol - perfect

Boston Bobblehead
    So Brave! So Courageous! Thank you for coming forward and telling your story. #HillaryGropedMe See more vids at: https://t.co/Y5o9pkhIEr https://t.co/nialQVJ7Tz

I've been in France for a while. Has this site lost its marbles or is it just Plato?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Y0kel said:

Indigo said:

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

Are you joking? It is absolutely all provided by the UK government; there is a general reservation of "defence", and a specific reservation under Head B of "national security and counter-terrorism". It would be unlawful for Scotland to have any "capability on intelligence security".
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

Saor Alba

Malcolm for the Union...

Historically, the term refers to Britain as a whole and is ultimately based on the Indo-European root for "white".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alba
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Roger said:

PlatoSaid said:

Lol - perfect

Boston Bobblehead
    So Brave! So Courageous! Thank you for coming forward and telling your story. #HillaryGropedMe See more vids at: https://t.co/Y5o9pkhIEr https://t.co/nialQVJ7Tz

I've been in France for a while. Has this site lost its marbles or is it just Plato?
    Don't they have this internet thingy over there?
  • Options
    Roger said:

PlatoSaid said:

Lol - perfect

Boston Bobblehead

Welcome back. And er yes she has been constantly quoting an infowars "editor". Sad!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

Indeed. I always wondered how the deal between the British, French and Chinese came about, there will be some greased palms somewhere and as you say political winners from the deal.

I also can't fathom why they didn't replicate what's been built out here in the sandpit, using proven Korean technology to build a larger station for considerably less money.

But then again, everyone out here is laughing at how the British can be *still* talking about expanding the bloody airport and not JFDI!

I also suspect construction costs are going to be slightly lower in the UAE...

Edit to add: the reactor design being built in the UAE is a very modern design. There's actually only one working example, Shin-Kiri 3, in Korea at the moment, and that has not been without its teething problems.
  • Options
    Roger said:

PlatoSaid said:

Lol - perfect

Boston Bobblehead

I've only been commenting since about June, but I've never noticed an abundance of marbles on this site.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Roger said:

PlatoSaid said:

Lol - perfect

Boston Bobblehead

Hello Roger.

Being in France has never stopped you posting in the past, has it?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Headbangers continue to moan about one issue to the exclusion of all others. And they try to frustrate the government.

Remarkably, the new headbangers also want to frustrate the will of the people. Perhaps given their Europhilia we should call them Les Headbangers. Sounds like a perfect description of Soubry et al to me.
    nouveau batards?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

Indigo said:

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

Away you big jessie fanny, I bet you pulled girls pigtails as a boy. Delusions of grandeur , intelligence would be a stranger to you. A pompous whining windbag playing with your toy soldiers and feeling important.
    You are as easy to wind up as a stupid dog behind the gate. Its a joy.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, did you ever get that e-mail I sent you?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Roger said:

PlatoSaid said:

Lol - perfect

Boston Bobblehead

Hello Roger.

I think Roger"s being discreet. He was poleaxed by Brexit. He's only now getting back on his feet. It's great to have him back and recovering.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

Indigo said:

malcolmg said:

Y0kel said:

You are as easy to wind up as a stupid dog behind the gate. Its a joy.
    Jog on , fake as a three bob bit.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Ishmael_X said:

Roger said:

PlatoSaid said:

Lol - perfect

Boston Bobblehead

Hello Roger.

Hello Izzy. I've been avoiding the distraction but from memory spam from Sid and Doris Bonkers used to receive short shrift.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Off topic: after my visit to Rome (and, BTW, a big thank you to whoever suggested the Hotel Donna Camilla Savelli - I'm afraid I cannot remember your name but enjoyed my stay there in June and going back there this week), if anyone has any recommendations for Elba and/or Corsica - restaurants, hotels, sights - I'd be delighted to hear them. You can VM me.
  • Options
    Anyway, I must be off now. Hopefully not much longer left with the old proofreading [lucky it's this weekend, actually, the only one of the month with no F1].
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Edit to add: the reactor design being built in the UAE is a very modern design. There's actually only one working example, Shin-Kiri 3, in Korea at the moment, and that has not been without its teething problems.
    The more sensible builders here are slowly coming to the realisation that throwing huge numbers of unskilled labour at a complicated project doesn't save any money, especially when they all have to be fed, watered, transported and accommodated!

The four reactors should come in around $25bn, for 4x14MW

One working reactor is a better starting point than nothing, but I'm sure there will be some issues. The construction here is being staggered and done in parallel with others in Korea to hopefully avoid too many of them.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,350
    The Conservative Parliamentary Party is a nest of snakes and social inadequates. Only the ruthlessness of Osborne allowed Cameron to rule in an undistracted way. The truth is that Osborne was the Willie of both the Coalition and the small majority government putting a lot of stick about to get things done.

May is not so much missing a Willie as an Osborne, a brilliant and vicious tactician who has the leaders back. Hammond is not that man. Not even close. In the same way that the Brown Government was a total shambles until he brought back Mandelson back to run it for him May needs Osborne back in the fold. Gratuitously making an enemy of him was childish and stupid.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I have various personal maxims. One of them is that everyone can be divided into those who are problem solvers and those who are the problems. It is always more fun to be the problem than to be a problem solver. Theresa May is finding that out now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Conservative Parliamentary Party is a nest of snakes and social inadequates.

That's a keeper!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I have various personal maxims. One of them is that everyone can be divided into those who are problem solvers and those who are the problems. It is always more fun to be the problem than to be a problem solver. Theresa May is finding that out now.

Yes - a division that your posts illustrate every day.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

The more sensible builders here are slowly coming to the realisation that throwing huge numbers of unskilled labour at a complicated project doesn't save any money, especially when they all have to be fed, watered, transported and accommodated!

One working reactor is a better starting point than nothing, but I'm sure there will be some issues. The construction here is being staggered and done in parallel with others in Korea to hopefully avoid too many of them.
    Also, IIRC KEPCO get caught falsifying a decade's worth of safety records. Which would have caused people to have had kittens in the UK!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If it's true.

I am not, but the people I was staying with are very well connected. but I can't vouch for whether it is true or not.
  • Options

There's surely a relevant third type: the ignorer of problems. Everything'll be okay. We'll muddle through. It'll be better tomorrow.

How? They're asked.

(silence)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Conservative Parliamentary Party is a nest of snakes and social inadequates. Only the ruthlessness of Osborne allowed Cameron to rule in an undistracted way. The truth is that Osborne was the Willie of both the Coalition and the small majority government putting a lot of stick about to get things done.

May is not so much missing a Willie as an Osborne, a brilliant and vicious tactician who has the leaders back. Hammond is not that man. Not even close. In the same way that the Brown Government was a total shambles until he brought back Mandelson back to run it for him May needs Osborne back in the fold. Gratuitously making an enemy of him was childish and stupid.

Given that Theresa May arrived at No. 10 to find decisions about nuclear power and airport expansion in her in-tray, I don't buy that Osborne was making sure things got done!

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best - Cameron and Osborne were both toffee-nosed amateurs with no real vision, playing at politics because it looked like a laugh.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

(snipped)
    Sadly, some Europhobes on here argued against the point, denying that the EU had anything to do with those companies' success, despite all the evidence otherwise. I daresay some of them will be doing so now.

Because the issues were so complex and so obscure, I eventually went with my gut feeling & voted leave.

IMHO, it is entirely possible that ardent Remain champions will succeed in overturning the result of the Referendum.

What interests me is: what then? Is it expected that everything will return to the previous normal? Both in the UK and for the EU?

The EU people will certainly be encouraged to press ahead with their plans by the UK's about-turn. My guess is that no more referendums will ever be offered - certainly not in countries where they are not legal necessities.

So any discontent will simply be disregarded, as it has been in the UK.

And what then?

(Good evening, everybody)
  • Options

There's surely a relevant third type: the ignorer of problems. Everything'll be okay. We'll muddle through. It'll be better tomorrow.

How? They're asked.

(silence)
    You know what: the third type are by far the happiest.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Also, IIRC KEPCO get caught falsifying a decade's worth of safety records. Which would have caused people to have had kittens in the UK!
    Didn't need see that one, but did see that the first Korean reactor had to replace all its control cabling after failing a safety audit during construction!
    http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/NN-Recabling_delays_Shin_Kori_start_ups-1810135.html
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

(snipped)

Because the issues were so complex and so obscure, I eventually went with my gut feeling & voted leave.

IMHO, it is entirely possible that ardent Remain champions will succeed in overturning the result of the Referendum.

What interests me is: what then? Is it expected that everything will return to the previous normal? Both in the UK and for the EU?

The EU people will certainly be encouraged to press ahead with their plans by the UK's about-turn. My guess is that no more referendums will ever be offered - certainly not in countries where they are not legal necessities.

So any discontent will simply be disregarded, as it has been in the UK.

And what then?

(Good evening, everybody)
    The Conservatives tear themselves apart and the LibDems sweep to power?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Would the minor detail of him despising everything she stood for and wanted to do not have been a slight hinderance ?

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    I think big nuclear has had its day. HPC will be one last ignominious hurrah for it but the world will have moved on to battery backed renewable power by then and a much more shock resistant, decentralised grid. Two years ago I was 100% against renewable power on the basis of expense, subsidies and intermittency, all three problems have been solved. HPC is the wrong project but the PM had clearly been bounced into it by the French and Chinese.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016

How? They're asked.

(silence)
    Please don't confuse things JJ.

This world, it must be split into two;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGErC6QQdoc
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Indigo said:

DavidL said:

Would the minor detail of him despising everything she stood for and wanted to do not have been a slight hinderance ?

He still wants the Conservatives to win power though, which is the ultimate aim for any political party. It doesn't feel like TMay has the instincts to make that happen.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The Conservative Parliamentary Party is a nest of snakes and social inadequates.

That's a keeper!
    Quiz Q: who was it who said: " there are three kinds of Conservative MP, shits, total shits and absolute shits" ?
This discussion has been closed.