Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trumpgate could gift the Democrats the jackpot

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    tyson said:

Even if Hillary Clinton does win the jackpot, it never lasts. The US Constitution is a thing of remarkable beauty, and is designed to ensure checks and balances. So, 2 years is all she'd get, like Obama.

The Italian system was modelled on it....but unfortunately in a multi party system it all becomes quite messy. That is something Renzi is trying to rectify with his referendum.

The alternate view is that it's a fine antique, rendered archaic by the virtual impossibility of amending it significantly in modern times, and imposes paralysis on government.
    (My own view is probably somewhere in the middle.)
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

"Tories in power do not voluntarily surrender it."

Tell that to the 'bastards' who destroyed Major's government in the mid-1990s.

It's perfectly possible for it to happen again, and the exact same people who brought down Major and Cameron might do the same for May. If they don't like her version of Brexit, they wouldn't think twice.

Although to be honest, they rarely think once ... :)

They were patriots. And they've been proved right.
    LOL. 13 years of the Blair/Brown governments and all that brought (including further EU integration and the immigration messes). Years when they could do nothing because they were out of power.

Many would call them traitors, both to the party and the country.

And they won't have been proved 'right' or 'wrong' on the EU until many years after Brexit.
    You're looking at what happened, which is not the way to judge here. The intention was to derail Maastricht. Without that we still might have a useful customs union that we'd be happy to be part of.

I'm not an arch Leaver - I object to sovereignty being taken away. My views are not uncommon.
    The Maastricht Treaty was signed in 1992. They continued causing deep trouble afterwards.

What happened was a natural and predictable result of what they did. Major's government was in trouble and tired; their rebellions just added trouble and made it appear more tired. In so doing, they made a massive Labour victory and further EU integration more inevitable.

The bastards were stupidly reassured by Labour's technical opposition to Maastricht, which was far more based in bringing down the government than any philosphical opposition to the EU project.

The word 'traitor' gets thrown around here too much. But in the case of the bastards, it is probably correct.
    And after the who-har created, and perhaps more specifically the Danish NO to Maastricht, us falling out of the Eternal Recession Mechanism was the best thing that happened to our constitutional arrangement.

Yep; Patriots.
    No, traitors. For the reasons given above.

It's odd that you consider 13 years of Labour government and further EU integration as being any way a success of theirs.
    So they should have voted for something they fundamentally didn't believe in, then what? Waited for the next EU Treaty to vote against?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,879

Nigelb said:

The only possible counter factual which might have led to a German victory would have been our losing the Battle of Britain, I think.
    Hitler's manic philosophy would have meant the invasion of Russia come what may, but the air battle was a close enough run thing that better German tactics could conceivably have won it, and at that stage of the war a British surrender without a land invasion would not have been impossible.
    That is the only way I can see that he might have had the resources available - particularly air power - to prevent Barbarossa being a disaster.
    Unlikely, but not wholly impossible.

A German victory in the Battle of Britain might have lost them the war, or at the very least settled the war more on our terms. There were big arguments between the various branches in the German forces over the invasion: the Luftwaffe were generally cautious because of the loss in the BoB. If they were emboldened, then it might have swung it towards an invasion.

But the Royal Navy were still undefeated, and the British army on the mainland was short of kit but strong in manpower. Even with moderate air superiority, they would have found the mainland a hard egg to crack.

So we reach the question of what would have happened if a German invasion of the UK had been attempted with air superiority but failed. It would have been the first major defeat for the Germans during the war. Would they have tried again, or decided that it would be best to try to get a deal with a battered UK?
    Wasn't Barbarossa almost a success? I seem to dimly recall that they were so close to Moscow that Stalin had a train in steam at the station waiting to whisk him away at one point. At last minute he changed his mind and fought on.
    The Soviets could have fought on, even if Moscow fell. That's a point that Ivan Stamboulov, the Bulgarian Ambassador, made to Stalin, on one of the rare occasions that the latter's nerve failed, and he contemplated huge territorial concessions to Hitler.

What might have brought victory to the Axis is if Japan had invaded Siberia, rather than South East Asia. But, they'd suffered heavy defeats at Zhukov's hands in the 1930's, so they went South.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''The word 'traitor' gets thrown around here too much. But in the case of the bastards, it is probably correct.''

It was the ERM fiasco that did for the Major government. It destroyed the tories' reputation for economic competence and allowed Blair to park his tanks on the tory lawn.

I don;t think the bast*rds were that important either way.

The tories might have lost by less if Ken Clarke had started to share the fruits of the rapidly reviving economy by slashing taxes in 1996. He didn't. The tories were slaughtered.

It was sleaze which won it.

The sight of processions of Conservative MPs taking "Cash for Questions", and sex exposes did it. Not one offs but an entire procession...

No thinking voter would vote Conservative in 1997. I did not.
    They deserved to be thrashed..
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283

rcs1000 said:

Trump is actually ahead in some polls. Still, we all believe in poll averages and ignore the ones which don't fit what we want, right? #Brexit

The underlying failure of the polls in the EU referendum was that it picked up on a lot of Leave voters, but down-weighted them. The underlyings in the US Presidential election don't look like that at all, they all pick up far more Democrat voters than Republican ones.

Indeed, if anything, they are upweighting Republicans.
    Yes, that's becoming the central polling difficulty. It's not that they can't pick up a representative sample, but that people's turnout behaviour varies from election to election. FWIW I think the UK polls are now downweighting Labour too much because of the pattern of young/urban Labour voters not voting or even not registering - both of which have to some extent been addressed by Corbyn enthusiasm among the young and by the serious all-party registration push before the referendm.

In the US, it's easy to imagine a lot of GOP voters staying at home. One factor which David's excellent article doesn't mention is that media coverage is overwhelmingly about the top of the ticket - I have a politics-aware friend who doesn't even know who the candidates are in her House race.
    Good Morning Mr Palmer, did you read my post to you last night on the hypocrisy (or not) of politicians educating their children privately or using grammar schools whilst voting to disallow others from doing so?
    I see this is your 3rd post - so Welcome aboard Mr Norville Rogers III. Great name.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    IanB2 said:

Two of the three eldest SCOTUS judges are on the liberal wing - Ginsburg and (I think) Breyer. If the Democrats gain the Senate at least one of them is certain to step down. As David says, that could lead to a liberal majority. If both go, the likelihood is that HRC will nominate one more centrist judge, as convention demands a level of balance. If the Democrats gain the House - unlikely, but possible - they will get the chance to undo the district boundaries the Republicans gerrymandered and will then gerrymander their own. The stakes are very big indeed.

I think you're right, the Dems will nominate a centrist but it wasn't a courtesy Bush2 offered when he nominated Alito and Roberts? It always seems to be the Dems who are expected to give ground.

Don't forget Obama has just offered them a Centrist and they have chosen to whine about illegitimacy and generally blow hard.
    Bush replaced two conservative judges with two conservative judges.
    Obama replaced two liberal judges with two liberal judges.

Scalia was a conservative judge, which is why his replacement is contentious.
    The judges hold off on dying until their own side is in power?
    Only two justices have died in office since the 1950s. Retirements are much more common.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

P.s. I also forgot leadership - the allied leadership systems allowed more independent action (at strategic level) whereas the Germans were increasingly hampered by one man's erratic and controlling ways. However at battlefield level it was considered the German setup was superior.

Mr. B2, what about the war at sea? The battle of the Atlantic in the period before spring 1943 had some very dodgy times. If things had gone a bit more adrift in the period '39-'41 then the UK might have been starved into submission before the Sceptics ever entered the war.

I don't think it was inevitable that the allies would have won the war.
    There was a chapter in the book about that, I think, but it's a while since i have read it. I think the conclusion was that Britain could have fought on from the empire and wait for the Americans and Russians,

Anyhow it is a good book. - clear well-written and thoughtful analysis. It's quite high level so glosses over a lot of detail, but that also makes its conclusions easier to follow. Very good reviews on Amazon.

Edit/ I think the inevitability arises from the significant and growing flaws on the German side, which sooner or later would lead to downfall (and, indeed, Downfall).

Besides, as all PB'ers know, a coalition is always best.... ;-)
    The only possible counter factual which might have led to a German victory would have been our losing the Battle of Britain, I think.
    Hitler's manic philosophy would have meant the invasion of Russia come what may, but the air battle was a close enough run thing that better German tactics could conceivably have won it, and at that stage of the war a British surrender without a land invasion would not have been impossible.
    That is the only way I can see that he might have had the resources available - particularly air power - to prevent Barbarossa being a disaster.
    An invasion across the Channel was always going to be an enormous ask for the Germans (not just the military crossing - for example where were German tanks going to get fuel from?) - look at how long we had to prepare and how much effort D Day took some years later, with more resources, better technology, and complete domination of the seas and the skies.

A more credible scenario is if the Conservatives who were pressing for a peace deal with Hitler after Dunkirk had won the argument.
    Had we lost the Battle of Britain, they could well have won that argument. Victory did much to cement Churchill's position; defeat might have toppled him.
    Possible, rather than probable, but I think it the only way Hitler might have won his lunatic race war.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

P.s. I also forgot leadership - the allied leadership systems allowed more independent action (at strategic level) whereas the Germans were increasingly hampered by one man's erratic and controlling ways. However at battlefield level it was considered the German setup was superior.

Mr. B2, what about the war at sea? The battle of the Atlantic in the period before spring 1943 had some very dodgy times. If things had gone a bit more adrift in the period '39-'41 then the UK might have been starved into submission before the Sceptics ever entered the war.

There was a chapter in the book about that, I think, but it's a while since i have read it. I think the conclusion was that Britain could have fought on from the empire and wait for the Americans and Russians,

Anyhow it is a good book. - clear well-written and thoughtful analysis. It's quite high level so glosses over a lot of detail, but that also makes its conclusions easier to follow. Very good reviews on Amazon.

Edit/ I think the inevitability arises from the significant and growing flaws on the German side, which sooner or later would lead to downfall (and, indeed, Downfall).

An invasion across the Channel was always going to be an enormous ask for the Germans (not just the military crossing - for example where were German tanks going to get fuel from?) - look at how long we had to prepare and how much effort D Day took some years later, with more resources, better technology, and complete domination of the seas and the skies.

A more credible scenario is if the Conservatives who were pressing for a peace deal with Hitler after Dunkirk had won the argument.
    They failed because they could not achieve air superiority let alone supremacy.

Well done and a thank you never big enough to the RAF , the ground crews and the Merchant Navy without all of whom none of that would have been possible.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

Nigelb said:

A German victory in the Battle of Britain might have lost them the war, or at the very least settled the war more on our terms. There were big arguments between the various branches in the German forces over the invasion: the Luftwaffe were generally cautious because of the loss in the BoB. If they were emboldened, then it might have swung it towards an invasion.

But the Royal Navy were still undefeated, and the British army on the mainland was short of kit but strong in manpower. Even with moderate air superiority, they would have found the mainland a hard egg to crack.

So we reach the question of what would have happened if a German invasion of the UK had been attempted with air superiority but failed. It would have been the first major defeat for the Germans during the war. Would they have tried again, or decided that it would be best to try to get a deal with a battered UK?
    Wasn't Barbarossa almost a success? I seem to dimly recall that they were so close to Moscow that Stalin had a train in steam at the station waiting to whisk him away at one point. At last minute he changed his mind and fought on.
    But the Russians had physically shifted their industry away to the east across the Ural Mountains, and were using their vast population as an unlimited supply of expendable troops. Losing Moscow, Leningrad or Stalingrad would have been a psychological blow but not of game-changing military significance. To win the Germans would have had to kill Russians at some unachievably high ratio to their own losses, which never looked achievable despite their stunning success in the first autumn.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

Mortimer said:

You had me until 'I believe the May government will fall'

Tories in power do not voluntarily surrender it. May is popular amongst all but the SDP-tendency headbangers.

And the grassroots love her.

It's perfectly possible for it to happen again, and the exact same people who brought down Major and Cameron might do the same for May. If they don't like her version of Brexit, they wouldn't think twice.

Major's government was destroyed by its own incompetence, exhaustion and sleeze.

End of story.

All governments have had a few backbenchers rebelling and Major's was no different.

But its not the rebelling backbenchers which bring down governments but the incompetence, exhaustion and sleeze of those governments.

What is different is that some people have an obsession about shifting blame from where it belongs - the incompetence, exhaustion and sleeze of the Major government - to where it doesn't - a few backbenchers who 99% of voters weren't aware of.
    Urrm, ISTR there were more rebels than the government's majority. They very nearly brought down the government in 1992 or 1993. That wold have meant another election and a Labour government that was far more pro-EU.

In their one-eyed obsession with the EU, they did not stop to think they were bringing about further EU integration.

Yes, sleaze (real and invented) was a major problem for Major and the party (I acknowledged that above). But the disunity was undoubtedly a massive problem for the government, and contributed heavily to the eventual defeat of the government and years in the wilderness.

The bastards were part of the general "incompetence, exhaustion and sleeze of the Major government" in the public's eyes.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

nielh said:

For anyone interested
    Davis seems to be doing well. The signs to me that his star is rising is reports that attempts by business to lobby the treasury over the terms of EU exit have not met with success, because power is concentrated in the dept for exiting the EU, led by Davis. He has had a lot of experience of government and opposition. He is popular with the grassroots. His leave credentials are unsurpassed. He has also taken a genuinely independent stance on many issues ie human rights/civil liberties and is respected outside of right wing circles.

I believe that the May government will fall. I think they have gone the wrong way about implementing brexit having been bounced in to doing it quickly it by the Leadsom threat. The next conservative leader will need to create a credible response to Brexit. Davis with his current experience is well placed to do that.
    I was suprised that 100/1 is available on skybet and paddy power. He is 14/5 at betfair which makes me think this kind these odds wont be around for long.

Tories in power do not voluntarily surrender it. May is popular amongst all but the SDP-tendency headbangers.

One aspect of Brexit that is sad is how some people are becoming very American in how they use the word "patriot" in politics.
    Sad to you, maybe.

There is little patriotic in elected representatives giving away the power entrusted to them by the people.
    Can you please confirm that, in order to be a patriot, it is first necessary to be a right-winger?

Not at all - this just isn't true.

Michael Foot was a great patriot. As was Clem.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''The word 'traitor' gets thrown around here too much. But in the case of the bastards, it is probably correct.''

It was the ERM fiasco that did for the Major government. It destroyed the tories' reputation for economic competence and allowed Blair to park his tanks on the tory lawn.

The tories might have lost by less if Ken Clarke had started to share the fruits of the rapidly reviving economy by slashing taxes in 1996. He didn't. The tories were slaughtered.

It remains interesting - as well as relevant to current times - that the ERM exit was such a major turning point for the Tories, from which they took years to recover. I remember those times and the short run shock - interest rates briefly going up to 15% and all - was considerable, but relatively short-lived, and the medium term effects were not at all catastrophic.

It is partly why I struggle with the suggestion that the Tories can survive a bad Brexit. To me that seems to be Corbyn's only chance.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    It's sad that we are obsessed by WW2. If anything the obsession is getting stronger as time passes. Hitler this, Hitler that.

Important though it undoubtedly was, Britain needs to move on from it. Arguably there are other parts of our history that are more relevant and as inspirational.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Cue handwaving

That is a disturbing piece of television in very many ways. America is breaking apart.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Two of the three eldest SCOTUS judges are on the liberal wing - Ginsburg and (I think) Breyer. If the Democrats gain the Senate at least one of them is certain to step down. As David says, that could lead to a liberal majority. If both go, the likelihood is that HRC will nominate one more centrist judge, as convention demands a level of balance. If the Democrats gain the House - unlikely, but possible - they will get the chance to undo the district boundaries the Republicans gerrymandered and will then gerrymander their own. The stakes are very big indeed.

The House doesn't draw the boundaries. They're drawn at State level.
    So presumably, given that the states are divided between the parties and yet there is a very significant republican bias, the republican states must be more cynical and shameless about fiddling their boundaries than the democratic ones?
    In fact the Republicans control a big majority of State legislatures. Both parties gerrymander enthusiastically.
  • Options
    PS the other era that has been done to death is the 1960s. I am sick of hearing about the 1960s.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

nielh said:

For anyone interested
    Davis seems to be doing well. The signs to me that his star is rising is reports that attempts by business to lobby the treasury over the terms of EU exit have not met with success, because power is concentrated in the dept for exiting the EU, led by Davis. He has had a lot of experience of government and opposition. He is popular with the grassroots. His leave credentials are unsurpassed. He has also taken a genuinely independent stance on many issues ie human rights/civil liberties and is respected outside of right wing circles.

I believe that the May government will fall. I think they have gone the wrong way about implementing brexit having been bounced in to doing it quickly it by the Leadsom threat. The next conservative leader will need to create a credible response to Brexit. Davis with his current experience is well placed to do that.
    I was suprised that 100/1 is available on skybet and paddy power. He is 14/5 at betfair which makes me think this kind these odds wont be around for long.

One aspect of Brexit that is sad is how some people are becoming very American in how they use the word "patriot" in politics.
    Sad to you, maybe.

There is little patriotic in elected representatives giving away the power entrusted to them by the people.
    Can you please confirm that, in order to be a patriot, it is first necessary to be a right-winger?

Is there a living leftie you think patriotic?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    That's Alec Stewart.

Actually thinking about it Trump, is in many ways an American Geoff Boycott.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It's sad that we are obsessed by WW2. If anything the obsession is getting stronger as time passes. Hitler this, Hitler that.

Important though it undoubtedly was, Britain needs to move on from it. Arguably there are other parts of our history that are more relevant and as inspirational.

WW2 was our last great victory. And as with most last great victories, it also set the scene for 50 years of progress and technological change, social upheaval and also the downfall of our overseas empire.

We'll still be talking about WW2 in 1000 years.

A bit grumpy this morning Mr Jonathan?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. B2, we must hope they do. The alternative is PM Corbyn.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I can't remember enough about Stalin's strategy. Certainly I don't think the fall of Moscow would have meant the fall of Russia. IANAE, but from memory they had been moving over 1,500 factories east before the end of 1941. Not all arrived, at all or intact, but it's a sign of how Stalin was wiling to trade space for time. And as they headed east, Germany's lines were getting very long.

And there was more than one precedent for Russia losing Moscow but winning the war.
    I think at least two alternate histories (Fatherland & Dominion) have the Eastern Front as long term, suppurating stalemates.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited October 2016

Miss Lass, the problem with the economy line for the SNP is that they want to leave a union with which they conduct 60% of trade for one with which they conduct 15% of trade.

Not only that, they want to leave a Union that contributes to Scotland's public services and join a Union which will expect substantial contributions from Scotland...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    edited October 2016
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

50 or so years ago I reads a counter-factual history in which the Greman Army DID get across the Channel. IIRC they fought up through Kent and Sussex and got close enough to London to make the King and Government move out, but as someone else said, supplies were an issue and eventually, and I clearly remember this bit the General in charge surrendered amid the shattered ruins of Rye.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

But the Russians had physically shifted their industry away to the east across the Ural Mountains, and were using their vast population as an unlimited supply of expendable troops. Losing Moscow, Leningrad or Stalingrad would have been a psychological blow but not of game-changing military significance. To win the Germans would have had to kill Russians at some unachievably high ratio to their own losses, which never looked achievable despite their stunning success in the first autumn.
    Another thing which could have won it for the Germans would have been to restart the Russian civil war. Giving the Ukraine and White Russia independence, and breaking up collective farms, and humane treatment of the population would have given millions a vested interest in fighting Stalin. Their behaviour made Stalin seem preferable.
  • Options

Victory Trumper?

twitter.com/ViKu1111/status/787045709367406592

Small hands.....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That's Alec Stewart.

'Make Yorkshire great again'
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

WW2 was our last great victory. And as with most last great victories, it also set the scene for 50 years of progress and technological change, social upheaval and also the downfall of our overseas empire.

Not at all. Just feel Britain is constrained by the shadow of WW2.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

So they should have voted for something they fundamentally didn't believe in, then what? Waited for the next EU Treaty to vote against?

They were certainly in a quandary. But they did not have the party leadership, the party itself, or the public behind them at that time. At least IDS abstained (ISTR).

The Conservative party was disunited, and those cracks were exploited by Labour and the media. As we now know, many of the sleaze stories were not quite as initially printed (thanks to Mr Clifford amongst others), and Labour was just as sleazy. But those cracks were easy to exploit against a much more unified Labour.

Even the ERM debacle could have been tempered by the good state of the economy we had by 1997. But a disunited party was perhaps the major plank in the Conservative defeat; it enabled the other negatives to gain more traction.

Off-topic: I think this is the first time this year I've been able to cope with commenting in two separate conversation threads. Woohoo!
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited October 2016
    Jonathan said:

You are entitled to your view because the people below in this video gave their freedom for your freedom to express that view.

"For your tomorrow, we gave our today" ......you would do very, very well to remember that.

(I shall not bother to respond to any reply it will no doubt be bollocks like your initial post.)

Edit- I have been to a number of these places.

http://youtu.be/Omd9_FJnerY
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That's Alec Stewart.

That is a vile slur on a great Yorkshireman.
    :-)
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, Yorkshire's already bloody great.

And we don't need a wall. God put mountains between us and Lancashire.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ar.
    -)

Had we lost the Battle of Britain, they could well have won that argument. Victory did much to cement Churchill's position; defeat might have toppled him.
    Possible, rather than probable, but I think it the only way Hitler might have won his lunatic race war.
    As I recall (from history rather than memory!) Churchill was at his weakest after the Norway disaster?

You are right that it was the BoB that cemented Churchill's position, particularly with his own party, which until then contained significant elements that remained pro-appeasement/pro-negotiating with Hitler and even some who had some sympathies with the far right.

Even Churchill had to face down a vote of no confidence in him by his local constituency party, for his perceived anti-government 'rebel' stance in opposing appeasement in the late 1930s, which he survived by a single vote.

I sometimes wonder whether Conservatives feel the need to try and claim the flag today in part because their party's record, when it really mattered, was pretty shameful?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Another thing which could have won it for the Germans would have been to restart the Russian civil war. Giving the Ukraine and White Russia independence, and breaking up collective farms, and humane treatment of the population would have given millions a vested interest in fighting Stalin. Their behaviour made Stalin seem preferable.

That's a really good point that I haven't considered before. But as you say, Hitler went the other way. The occupied countries went from one evil lunatic to another.

It would have made sense if Hitler wanted to fight Communism rather than Russia per se. And the 'White Ukraine / Russia' would necessarily have been fairly pro-German.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Mr. Divvie, Yorkshire's already bloody great.

And we don't need a wall. God put mountains between us and Lancashire.

Well, hills....
  • Options
    Mr. B2, really?

Churchill was a Conservative. Why should the blues feel bad about their conduct in the war when their leader inspired us to victory?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

nielh said:

For anyone interested

Sad to you, maybe.

Plenty - we were the ones proud and admiring of Danny Boyle's amazing opening ceremony, whilst right-wingers were moaning about everything from the NHS segment, the mixed-race family in the music segment and lots of awful music, etc, and asking why we couldn't just redo the Royal Tournament.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Major's government was destroyed by its own incompetence, exhaustion and sleeze.

End of story.

All governments have had a few backbenchers rebelling and Major's was no different.

But its not the rebelling backbenchers which bring down governments but the incompetence, exhaustion and sleeze of those governments.

What is different is that some people have an obsession about shifting blame from where it belongs - the incompetence, exhaustion and sleeze of the Major government - to where it doesn't - a few backbenchers who 99% of voters weren't aware of.
    Urrm, ISTR there were more rebels than the government's majority. They very nearly brought down the government in 1992 or 1993. That wold have meant another election and a Labour government that was far more pro-EU.

In their one-eyed obsession with the EU, they did not stop to think they were bringing about further EU integration.

Yes, sleaze (real and invented) was a major problem for Major and the party (I acknowledged that above). But the disunity was undoubtedly a massive problem for the government, and contributed heavily to the eventual defeat of the government and years in the wilderness.

The bastards were part of the general "incompetence, exhaustion and sleeze of the Major government" in the public's eyes.
    The Conservative rebels had a choice - support a Conservative establishment committed to EverCloseUnion or risk a Labour government committed to EverCloserUnion.

If they had supinely supported the Conservative establishment the ultimate consequence would have been no Leave vote in the EU Referendum.

And what would have been the benefits of a more united Conservative party during the 1990s ? Perhaps Labour's majority would have been ten or twenty smaller in 1997.

The interesting what-if is "what if the Major government had called a referendum on the Maastricht Treaty after the Danish rejection". I suspect it would have set a precedent for referenda on EU treaties and would have brought a stop to EverCloserUnion without having to Leave the EU.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ar.
    -)
    As I recall (from history rather than memory!) Churchill was at his weakest after the Norway disaster?

You are right that it was the BoB that cemented Churchill's position, particularly with his own party, which until then contained significant elements that remained pro-appeasement/pro-negotiating with Hitler and even some who had some sympathies with the far right.

Even Churchill had to face down a vote of no confidence in him by his local constituency party, for his perceived anti-government 'rebel' stance in opposing appeasement in the late 1930s, which he survived by a single vote.

I sometimes wonder whether Conservatives feel the need to try and claim the flag today in part because their party's record, when it really mattered, was pretty shameful?
    No. It is because we've always been the party for the country. And for the last 100 years the Union. Sometimes in our history this has been at expense of the people, granted, but there is a deep seated confidence within Tory party members that the nation is worthy of support, should not be taken lightly and should definitely not be seen as the enemy.

I can well understand the Liberal mindset - that a community of nations is more valuable than a single nation. I just wholeheartedly disagree with it.

Similarly I can understand the old fashioned Labour mindset - that a community of people is more valuable than the nations that they're in conditions of relative peace (i.e. the Labour party were happy to join the National Govt to fight Germany in 1940 because Fascism was attacking us) . I just think it simplistic and overly idealistic given the frailties of the human condition.

What I simply do not understand is the current Labour party leadership - who see the awful underdogs as always better than the sometimes self interested West. Nor do the people of this country, it seems. Mores the better.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

You are entitled to your view because the people below in this video gave their freedom for your freedom to express that view.

"For your tomorrow, we gave our today" ......you would do very, very well to remember that.

(I shall not bother to respond to any reply it will no doubt be bollocks like your initial post.)

Good grief. With a grandfather who was one of the troops that liberated Belsen, like everyone else, I know the significance of WW2. I simply assert that there is more to British history and we should look to the future from the perspective of all our history not just that important event.

Personallty, I gain particular inspiration from C18. How do we rediscover the dynamic spirit of that era?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Just as Italians remain proud that their nation produced the Romans and the Renaissance, which influences their psyche to this day despite all the politics and problems that have come along since.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Nigelb said:

I can't remember enough about Stalin's strategy. Certainly I don't think the fall of Moscow would have meant the fall of Russia. IANAE, but from memory they had been moving over 1,500 factories east before the end of 1941. Not all arrived, at all or intact, but it's a sign of how Stalin was wiling to trade space for time. And as they headed east, Germany's lines were getting very long.

And there was more than one precedent for Russia losing Moscow but winning the war.
    A hypothetical Russia abandoning Moscow and returning from over the Urals scenario would has meant effectively giving up the Caucasus (as sufficient German troops would be freed up to make an effective drive in the south) which would have secured for Germany the oil they needed to prosecute the war to the fullest extent.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Jonathan said:

Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

Good grief. With a grandfather who was one of the troops that liberated Belsen, like everyone else, I know the significance of WW2. I simply assert that there is more to British history and we should look to the future from the perspective of all our history not just that important event.

Personallty, I gain particular inspiration from C18. How do we rediscover the dynamic spirit of that era?
    I'm sure we could bring Gin Alley and high seas privateering back quite quickly, with a TrotLabour administration....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    PlatoSaid said:
    Dem landslide nailed on then.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That's a really good point that I haven't considered before. But as you say, Hitler went the other way. The occupied countries went from one evil lunatic to another.

It would have made sense if Hitler wanted to fight Communism rather than Russia per se. And the 'White Ukraine / Russia' would necessarily have been fairly pro-German.
    That would require Hitler to be something other than he was; a lunatic obsessed with race war. Within the constraints of Nazi ideology, the Germans co-opted what collaborators they could. 'Humane treatment' was never a possibility for people considered as inferior humans.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917

Mortimer said:

nielh said:

For anyone interested
    I've just backed David Davis as next conservative leader. 100/1 on Paddy Power.
    In my view, Davis is the most credible of the three Brexiteers doing the EU exit. Johnson is a shambles and an embarrassment as foreign secretary. His performance over Russia confirms that. He has been played by May. He cannot shake off his joker persona. He struggles to be taken seriously on Brexit. His actions after the referendum will be played back endlessly, looking awkward at the press conference, the 'have cake and eat it' article in the telegraph, and his mysterious abdication from the leadership campaign. He has no experience of high office, and it is starting to show.
    Liam Fox is similar odds to Davis, but he has showed colossal misjudgement in his role. He has insulted businesses and appears essentially clueless about what is involved in making trade deals.

If the EU-obsessives want to bring down Tory leaders and governments then that is an issue for the Tories, now unfortunately they are being put in positions that they can bring down the country as well.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,205
    Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

As a lefty patriot I've been to plenty of these places too, usually make a point of it every time I drive through northern France.

It doesn't detract from what Jonathan said, that this country at some point needs to move on from 1945; it's defined our history for 70 years now and rightly or wrongly had a huge expression this year.
  • Options
    <. <blockquote class="UserQuote">
    Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Dem landslide nailed on then.

A landslide might calm things either way. W close result either way will be poisonous.
  • Options

Mr. B2, really?

Churchill was a Conservative. Why should the blues feel bad about their conduct in the war when their leader inspired us to victory?

Supporting someone after the event with the benefit of hindsight is easy. The point is that Churchill, and his anti-Nazi stance from the beginning, were opposed strongly by much of the Conservative Party through the 1930s and even, by some, a year into the war.

Arguably, and aside from his views on empire, Churchill was always a liberal, who jumped back to the Tories because he could see the two-party system coming.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ar.
    -)

No. It is because we've always been the party for the country. And for the last 100 years the Union. Sometimes in our history this has been at expense of the people, granted, but there is a deep seated confidence within Tory party members that the nation is worthy of support, should not be taken lightly and should definitely not be seen as the enemy.

I can well understand the Liberal mindset - that a community of nations is more valuable than a single nation. I just wholeheartedly disagree with it.

Similarly I can understand the old fashioned Labour mindset - that a community of people is more valuable than the nations that they're in conditions of relative peace (i.e. the Labour party were happy to join the National Govt to fight Germany in 1940 because Fascism was attacking us) . I just think it simplistic and overly idealistic given the frailties of the human condition.

What I simply do not understand is the current Labour party leadership - who see the awful underdogs as always better than the sometimes self interested West. Nor do the people of this country, it seems. Mores the better.
    The point that Mr B2 was making was that in 1939-40 there appear to have been a significant number of prominent Tories who beliieved that it was NOT in the nation’s interest to fight Fascism.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

As a lefty patriot I've been to plenty of these places too, usually make a point of it every time I drive through northern France.

It doesn't detract from what Jonathan said, that this country at some point needs to move on from 1945; it's defined our history for 70 years now and rightly or wrongly had a huge expression this year.
    And one can say much the same about Europe and Russia. Indeed the Russian are arguably more hung up on the war than are we.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

1945 is a v important ref point. We should never forget it.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited October 2016
    Jonathan said:

Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

I trust you meant 18th Century not Combat 18....

If you go to a model railway exhibition. Most of the British layouts will be 30-s to 50-s steam or (southern) electric layouts.

Model railway sales are still dominated by that eras rolling stock. Elsewhere it ua the reverse, with modern hi tech railways dominating, a feature most prominent in Japan.

There are also over 500 miles of volunteer run real railway runnig 1930s-50s stock in the main with millions visiting every year (far more than ever used those lines when they were normal railways), and when Flying Scotsman ran from Kings Cross to Edinburgh recently, huge crowds lined all 400 miles of the route. Something that certainly wont happen when HS2 opens and the first 200mph train runs.

I think that points to something deep rooted in our culture that you ignore at your peril politically.
  • Options
    So, no extra money for the NHS. Instead, money that could have been spent on the NHS will be spent on ensuring automakers won't leave the country because we are leaving the single market. Not quite what Boris & co, promised is it?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

That would require Hitler to be something other than he was; a lunatic obsessed with race war. Within the constraints of Nazi ideology, the Germans co-opted what collaborators they could. 'Humane treatment' was never a possibility for people considered as inferior humans.
    Both correct. Had Hitler been a more orthodox German nationalist, he'd never have launched Blitzkreig against Russia. He would have sought to make Germany dominant in Eastern Europe, and any war with Russia would have had much more limited objectives. He would also have had a healthy respect for the fighting capabilities of the Russians. He wouldn't have been Hitler.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    nielh said:

For anyone interested
    I've just backed David Davis as next conservative leader. 100/1 on Paddy Power.
    In my view, Davis is the most credible of the three Brexiteers doing the EU exit. Johnson is a shambles and an embarrassment as foreign secretary. His performance over Russia confirms that. He has been played by May. He cannot shake off his joker persona. He struggles to be taken seriously on Brexit. His actions after the referendum will be played back endlessly, looking awkward at the press conference, the 'have cake and eat it' article in the telegraph, and his mysterious abdication from the leadership campaign. He has no experience of high office, and it is starting to show.
    Liam Fox is similar odds to Davis, but he has showed colossal misjudgement in his role. He has insulted businesses and appears essentially clueless about what is involved in making trade deals.

I am surprised it is so low a price , the man is a dumpling
  • Options

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ar.
    -)

The point that Mr B2 was making was that in 1939-40 there appear to have been a significant number of prominent Tories who beliieved that it was NOT in the nation’s interest to fight Fascism.
    Damned europhiles.
  • Options
    alex. said:

scotslass said:

Alec

An interesting point but there may be a crucial difference in the point that matters now.

Sturgeon's advantage is that the Scottish people decided overwhelmingly in the referendum to place economics and prosperity before restricting immigration. That is also Sturgeon's view.

However the English people decided by a narrow majority to place restricting immigration before economics and prosperity. That could be May's view although she was nominally for the opposite in the referendum.

I think Sturgeons's hand is better.

I wasn't making a point about who's hand was technically "better". Although a counter-argument would be that the Scots need more persuading on economic arguments vs "control". Which is a problem for Sturgeon as she still has an obstacle of a referendum to get past (if she really wants independence). A referendum which then, as in the future, is fundamentally about economics vs control. However much "access to the (EU) single market" is talked up as important, it pales into insignificance compared with access to the (UK) single market.

Whereas Brexit has already passed the British people.
    If it has passed why is it being talked about 24 hours a day and you do not seem to realise that nothing has happened, they hav enot even begun Brexit. We have had lots of hot air so far , we will see how gung ho all these nutters are when the chickens come home to roost and they find that it is them bending over rather than Europe. The delusion will soon clear.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ar.
    -)
    Had we lost the Battle of Britain, they could well have won that argument.

It's a good thing about this site that most of us at least try and think our way around the views of our opponents.

My take on your last point is that Labour was born out of a class struggle back when its supporters were genuinely oppressed and disenfranchised. This informs much of the party's culture and identity, particularly on the left (ties into the birth of communism, before it became discredited). Their attraction to the underdogs in various conflicts around the world is not so much that they are anti-west but that these are situations where their view of politics still 'works'; the problem they face back home is that such a view of politics isn't appropriate anymore: people aren't oppressed in the same way, people value individualism more, the interests of the 'disadvantaged' conflict (ethnic voters v wwc etc) and the dimensions of power and privilege have fragmented rather than simply being along class lines.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Unlikely, but rmans (not just the military crossing - for example where were German tanks going to get fuel from?) - look at how long we had to prepare and how much effort D Day took some years later, with more resources, better technology, and complete domination of the seas and the skies.

50 or so years ago I reads a counter-factual history in which the Greman Army DID get across the Channel. IIRC they fought up through Kent and Sussex and got close enough to London to make the King and Government move out, but as someone else said, supplies were an issue and eventually, and I clearly remember this bit the General in charge surrendered amid the shattered ruins of Rye.
    That sounds like something I read: Churchill was preparing Mustard-gas and some-such. Was that written by David Irvine?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

scotslass said:

Alec

An interesting point but there may be a crucial difference in the point that matters now.

Sturgeon's advantage is that the Scottish people decided overwhelmingly in the referendum to place economics and prosperity before restricting immigration. That is also Sturgeon's view.

However the English people decided by a narrow majority to place restricting immigration before economics and prosperity. That could be May's view although she was nominally for the opposite in the referendum.

I think Sturgeons's hand is better.

Totally wrong... You showed your petticoat there. Please get this correct once and for all as you sound like the winging moaning Scot we have all come to love

It was the English AND THE WELSH !!!

Odd that the Scots did not vote for independence though when they had the chance. Very sensible the Scots though...... Don't bite the hand that feeds you. :wink:

Edit - another one who doesn't accept a majority when they don't win and totally wrong on the reason that vote went the way it did.
    Hopefully it will be the same lot that are left to it as well. You half witted cretin we more than pay our own way and always have, arsewipes like you certainly do not subsidise us in any way.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

More like ordered others to fight on.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    taffys said:

Cue handwaving

That is a disturbing piece of television in very many ways. America is breaking apart.

Lord Ashcroft currently has an interesting piece on ConHome, he quotes Charlie Sykes, a prominent right-wing talk show host on conspiracy theories:-

"These theories had become one of the most worrying aspects of the campaign. “You have the dark fever-swamps of the Right. I am a right-wing talk-show host, but there are some serious fever swamps out there, and they traffic in the most bizarre conspiracy theories. And they’re difficult to refute because too many conservative commentators do not want to challenge them. They know that their audiences will believe them.” And the really disturbing thing is that “Donald Trump will see something – some bizarre, unfounded conspiracy theory. And you’re tempted to dismiss it as too far out of the mainstream, and the next thing, Donald Trump, who may be the next president of the United States, is tweeting out links to these kinds of things… How do you deal with somebody who actually doesn’t seem to have a filter, what is true what is false, what is responsible, what is irresponsible?”

A couple of PB posters (unnamed of course!) might like to take a look.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Indigo said:

nielh said:

Indigo said:

Interesting. Certainly 100 seems a high number. Not sure about May falling though. If there is a danger things aren't going her way I am sure she will U-turn and call a GE.

Precisely, and no matter how unpopular her views are with the Guardian reading classes, an election campaign leavened with some suitably jingoistic brexitisms and facing Jeremy Corbyn will give her a 100 majority and a rock solid mandate for the hardest leave she could wish for.
    they need to agree what their position is on brexit in any GE campaign, they are struggling to do that.
    don't underestimate how spooked businesses are about hard brexit and the anti business vibe of the conference
    don't believe too much of her rhetoric about brexit. It is only rhetoric.
    Despite all the above she is 17 points clear in the polls.
    I think there are massive similarities between May and Sturgeon in a political sense at the moment. Both are committed to publicly pursuing a policy which they know is fraught with risk, and probably don't at this time know how they are actually going to achieve it. And their public pronouncements are almost entirely made for political purposes, targeted at the most troublesome elements of their electoral support, and cannot reliably be assumed to be an indicator of what they are actually doing in private.
    Difference is Sturgeon was elected whereas May was crowned by her party.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

More like ordered others to fight on.
    Caw!
  • Options

So, no extra money for the NHS. Instead, money that could have been spent on the NHS will be spent on ensuring automakers won't leave the country because we are leaving the single market. Not quite what Boris & co, promised is it?

Isn't this Nissan compensation deal exactly what I posted that Will Hutton had written the other week and I got flamed to bits by Leavers saying Hutton didn't know what the hell he was talking about.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

That's Alec Stewart.

'Make Yorkshire great again'
    Make Yorkshire a proper county should be step 1.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Unlikely, but rmans (not just the military crossing - for example where were German tanks going to get fuel from?) - look at how long we had to prepare and how much effort D Day took some years later, with more resources, better technology, and complete domination of the seas and the skies.

That sounds like something I read: Churchill was preparing Mustard-gas and some-such. Was that written by David Irvine?
    TBH I can’t remember. I think it was serialised in the Express, which my landlord took. I was a student at the time, living in digs, and couldn’t afford either the Herald or the Guardian.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

nielh said:

For anyone interested

Sad to you, maybe.

Plenty - we were the ones proud and admiring of Danny Boyle's amazing opening ceremony, whilst right-wingers were moaning about everything from the NHS segment, the mixed-race family in the music segment and lots of awful music, etc, and asking why we couldn't just redo the Royal Tournament.
    Exactly. Whenever I see a right winger trying to appropriate the Union Jack I always remember that when Doctor Johnson said that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel he was commenting on scoundrels not patriots.
  • Options

I thought it was common knowledge that invading German troops would have been attacked with gas as soon as they set foot on the Island.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Goering's ineptitude lost it rather than UK just winning it. He snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

)

Goering's ineptitude lost it rather than UK just winning it. He snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
    Yep, we have all seen the film, it was that one plane that dumped its bombs on London by mistake, without which they would have kept on at the airfields and radar stations.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

alex. said:

Indigo said:

nielh said:

Indigo said:

Interesting. Certainly 100 seems a high number. Not sure about May falling though. If there is a danger things aren't going her way I am sure she will U-turn and call a GE.

Precisely, and no matter how unpopular her views are with the Guardian reading classes, an election campaign leavened with some suitably jingoistic brexitisms and facing Jeremy Corbyn will give her a 100 majority and a rock solid mandate for the hardest leave she could wish for.
    they need to agree what their position is on brexit in any GE campaign, they are struggling to do that.
    don't underestimate how spooked businesses are about hard brexit and the anti business vibe of the conference
    don't believe too much of her rhetoric about brexit. It is only rhetoric.
    Despite all the above she is 17 points clear in the polls.
    I think there are massive similarities between May and Sturgeon in a political sense at the moment. Both are committed to publicly pursuing a policy which they know is fraught with risk, and probably don't at this time know how they are actually going to achieve it. And their public pronouncements are almost entirely made for political purposes, targeted at the most troublesome elements of their electoral support, and cannot reliably be assumed to be an indicator of what they are actually doing in private.
    Difference is Sturgeon was elected whereas May was crowned by her party.
    Sturgeon should be crafty, stop banging on about independence and start demanding that it is an outrage that the Scottish government cannot sign the Statute of Westminster (which would amount to the same thing)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Just catching up on HIGNFY last night - can anyone explain why they opened the show with a scripted piece from the presenter saying that the pound was worth only $1.15? It's not been doing particularly well this week, but it's not been below $1.21.
  • Options

Miss Lass, the problem with the economy line for the SNP is that they want to leave a union with which they conduct 60% of trade for one with which they conduct 15% of trade.

Not only that, they want to leave a Union that contributes to Scotland's public services and join a Union which will expect substantial contributions from Scotland...
    Contributes my erchie, they borrow money , give us a minute share and make us pay the interest on it all. We hav esubsidised eth union for 40 years.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Just catching up on HIGNFY last night - can anyone explain why they opened the show with a scripted piece from the presenter saying that the pound was worth only $1.15? It's not been doing particularly well this week, but it's not been below $1.21.

I think they were using the tourist rates that people actually get
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,942
    edited October 2016

Isn't this Nissan compensation deal exactly what I posted that Will Hutton had written the other week and I got flamed to bits by Leavers saying Hutton didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

Essentially, the taxpayer will be paying Nissan not to quit. And having seen that, what do you think other CEOs of other companies are going to do? Money that could have been spent elsewhere will instead be spent on mitigating the negative effects of leaving the single market. Boris is Baldrick and I claim my £5. The Tories have abandoned any pretence to be a pro-capitalist, free market party. We no longer have one of those in the UK.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Megan Kelly is experiencing karma from viewers. Her audience isn't happy and seem delighted that others are boycotting her too.

Very Top Gear over Chris Evans.

http://dcwhispers.com/wow-megyn-kelly-getting-pummeled-ratings-trump-supporters-boycott-program/#JXeCr5REAvMBPWZg.99
    taffys said:

Cue handwaving

I watch about 15+ media clips a day across the stations - it's seriously OTT on both sides.

The very strong feeling that the election is being stolen/fixed/rigged is huge. It's making Brexit Wars look tame. I saw a CNN clip earlier where they discussed Wikileaks and compared it a post-campaign book before the result. And then all five commentators waved away all the leaks as nothing and said it showed how centrist Hillary was/that's a good thing.

I just laughed like a drain. I know it's one of the few free news services here on satellite TV - but anyone taking their word as gospel needs a slap. It's Guardian TV on steroids.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Contributes my erchie, they borrow money , give us a minute share and make us pay the interest on it all. We hav esubsidised eth union for 40 years.
    And you want to subsidise Bulgarians now too!
  • Options

I thought it was common knowledge that invading German troops would have been attacked with gas as soon as they set foot on the Island.
    No, not common knowledge. But I’m not surprised.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

Problem is these idiots live on the dream of the empire and winning world wars, it is all the sad sacks have. It is why the country is circling the drain , run by comic singers and donkeys.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

However at battlefield level it was considered the German setup was superior.

More at Dunkirk than the Battle of Britain. In the latter, I'm not sure what the Germans could have done to make much difference bar bomb the radar stations - but their failure there was more of intelligence than of strategy.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ar.
    -)

:you-cannot-libel-the-dead:

Well done!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Sturgeon's biggest problem is that she's bluffing - and May knows it.
  • Options

Tories will always line their chums pockets first and foremost, no matter what lies they spout to the contrary.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

They mentioned tourist rates later in the same piece - and got the buy and sell rates confused when trying to illustrate that an airport forex agent had a usurious 35% spread on the £/€ rate.

Would have expected them to have at least run the script by someone who understands these things before airing it!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

They mentioned tourist rates later in the same piece - and got the buy and sell rates confused when trying to illustrate that an airport forex agent had a usurious 35% spread on the £/€ rate.

Would have expected them to have at least run the script by someone who understands these things before airing it!
    Avoiding being done for libel is probably the only fact checking that a television comedy programme feels it needs to do!
  • Options
    On the shadow of World War Two: worth noting the Romans referred to Hannibal Ad Portas (Hannibal at the gates) for decades, perhaps centuries after the Second Punic War. Centuries after the Western Empire fell there were still dreams of rekindling it.

I do agree we should adopt a positive, forward-looking attitude (with an emphasis on technology and freedom of speech) but it's not unusual for massive events to cast a very long shadow.
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, didn't Hitler order a 24 halt in the pursuit of fleeing Allied soldiers?
  • Options

Essentially, the taxpayer will be paying Nissan not to quit. And having seen that, what do you think other CEOs of other companies are going to do? Money that could have been spent elsewhere will instead be spent on mitigating the negative effects of leaving the single market. Boris is Baldrick and I claim my £5. The Tories have abandoned any pretence to be a pro-capitalist, free market party. We no longer have one of those in the UK.

The New European ‏@TheNewEuropean 15h15 hours ago
    MPs should stop being so timid, and be prepared to scupper the entire #Brexit project, argues @steverichards14

One to make the Leavers splutter their morning coffee all over the place!
  • Options

Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ar.
    -)

Damned europhiles.
    I laughed at your response but it is probably flawed! As I recollect, it was the more right wing Tories back then who were least interested in resisting the Germans. Today it is the more right wing Tories that don't like the EU. After all, Churchill was actually very pro-European after the war.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Megan Kelly is experiencing karma from viewers. Her audience isn't happy and seem delighted that others are boycotting her too.

http://dcwhispers.com/wow-megyn-kelly-getting-pummeled-ratings-trump-supporters-boycott-program/#JXeCr5REAvMBPWZg.99

taffys said:

Cue handwaving

I watch about 15+ media clips a day across the stations - it's seriously OTT on both sides.

The very strong feeling that the election is being stolen/fixed/rigged is huge. It's making Brexit Wars look tame. I saw a CNN clip earlier where they discussed Wikileaks and compared it a post-campaign book before the result. And then all five commentators waved away all the leaks as nothing and said it showed how centrist Hillary was/that's a good thing.

I just laughed like a drain. I know it's one of the few free news services here on satellite TV - but anyone taking their word as gospel needs a slap. It's Guardian TV on steroids.
    The US 'news' networks are now completely unwatchable. They all take an absurdly partisan view, present "Fact Check" pieces that are no more than spin and there's way more heat being generated than light.

As others have said, there is something seriously wrong with the USA at the moment, and the election is only making things worse. Much worse.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Avoiding being done for libel is probably the only fact checking that a television comedy programme feels it needs to do!
    Quick look at M&S rates, which IME are usually quite good and card-holders can get 1.195 USD for a £, and non-card-holders 1.18USD. The rate on my phone app just now is 1.22.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

Cue handwaving

The US 'news' networks are now completely unwatchable. They all take an absurdly partisan view, present "Fact Check" pieces that are no more than spin and there's way more heat being generated than light.

As others have said, there is something seriously wrong with the USA at the moment, and the election is only making things worse. Much worse.
    agreed, thank god for u.k broadcasting laws during u.k elections and outside of elections.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,290
    edited October 2016

taffys said:

It was sleaze which won it.

The sight of processions of Conservative MPs taking "Cash for Questions", and sex exposes did it. Not one offs but an entire procession...

No thinking voter would vote Conservative in 1997. I did not.
    They deserved to be thrashed..
    Looking back given what we know now with expenses scandal, cash for peerages, McBride, etc etc etc, Cash for Questions scandal seems rather twee.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Indeed. They did let Ruth Davidson's rather risqué joke about Diane Abbot past the editors though!
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited October 2016
    John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 58m58 minutes ago
    Remoaner special
    http://tinyurl.com/j5dlygg
    (Matthew Parris - Project Fear mk2)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,290
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

Cue handwaving

The Fact Check stuff really is quite incredible. Both in what they decide to Fact Check and what they decide isn't worth it, and how they then make a "judgement call" on lots of things.

This discussion has been closed.