Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Joff Wild says keep an eye on Keir

Comments

• Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    PlatoSaid said:

Frank Luntz
    So far, Donald Trump's poll numbers have dropped only -1% after the #TrumpTapes leak.

https://t.co/9EzGVJMghR https://t.co/jDAzSH6Wf3

its only been a couple of days: can't conclude anything yet

Of course, he was 4-5 points behind before, so this clearlry hurts
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

What time does the shit show start this evening?

2am.
    Planning an early breakfast?

I am thinking: early night then tactical nap afterwards.

It really shows a contempt of the popcorn scoffing public to put such entertainment on so late. Perhaps it is because of the X rating!

Mrs JackW prohibits most early hours activity .... wasn't always thus .... :smiley:

I shall catch a replay after breakfast whilst enjoying the morning musings of PB.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

So about the same as Wales, and less white than say e.g. Cornwall, and a good deal less than NI?

I'll bear that in mind next time you pontificate on 'complex' issues.

Scotland: marginally less white than Wales! Diversity in action, eh?

Seriously, when the Scottish Government tries to virtue signal about how tolerant it is, it's talking about an issue that it does not need to confront. According to the latest available mid-year population estimates, net international migration to England was 307,300 (and that's making the big assumption that the authorities aren't missing large numbers of illegals.) The equivalent figure for Scotland was 19,600. Total population growth was 469,700 in England, which is slightly greater than Liverpool. It was 25,400 in Scotland, which is slightly greater than Elgin. Even accounting for the fact that Scotland is significantly smaller by land area and a small fraction of the size by total population, the disparities - and the difference in the magnitude of their effects - is huge.

England is, on average, much more ethnically diverse and has been subject to much greater levels of inward migration than has Scotland. It is, indeed, very easy for Scottish ministers to tell the world how good they are at dealing with a situation that barely requires their attention.
    'Has been subject to'.
    You mean has experienced the consequences of the immigration and economic policies put forward solely by the governments for which they have voted with varying degrees of enthusiasm. My heart bleeds for the poor, put-upon poppets.
    Makes not a jot of difference to the point originally made. The Scottish Government is virtue signalling about an issue which barely affects it. Though FWIW, when it comes to the matter of what to do with refugees, it seems to be just as bad at putting them out of sight and out of mind as the Home Office is...

"A scheme designed to offer Syrian refugees a fresh start away from their war-torn homeland has backfired after two families said the Scottish island they were sent to is "full of old people waiting to die" and they would rather be in Glasgow or Manchester.

The refugees praised the people of Scotland and said they had been made welcome on the Isle of Bute, but also complained that they were unable to find work and said they felt ashamed that they had to rely on charity.

Abd, a 42-year-old father of four, said: “I feel like I have one option now, to die here. Only die here, nothing else.”

The families said they felt isolated, were struggling to learn English and there was nothing to do on the island in the Firth of Clyde."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/25/syrian-refugees-resettled-on-remote-scottish-island-of-bute-comp/
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    PlatoSaid said:

Frank Luntz
    So far, Donald Trump's poll numbers have dropped only -1% after the #TrumpTapes leak.

From 538

"The revelation of a tape from 2005 in which Donald Trump was caught making a number of lewd comments about women, and seemed to condone unwanted sexual contact toward women, is bad news for Trump. (#Analysis.) It’s not going to help Trump to become president in a country in which 53 percent of voters are women.

But if we knew on Friday night that this would be a big story, it’s become an even bigger story throughout the day today (Saturday) as dozens of GOP elected officials have either repudiated Trump, or unendorsed him, or called for him to resign his position at the top of the ticket.

..a Clinton landslide is no more far-fetched than a Trump victory — and given the events of the past 24 hours, probably less so."
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

In your part of the world today, Dr Fox!

Whereabouts?
    Loughborough, visiting a great aunt, then to Leicester to buy fireworks and possibly a spot of dinner.
    Diwali village doesn't open for another week sadly, but on the other hand easier to find a place to eat.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    PlatoSaid said:

Frank Luntz

What a surprise. The commentariat getting it wrong — again.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

The Independent: Homophobic attacks rose 147 per cent after the Brexit vote. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwvf24tS4

What did Brexit have to do with homophobia?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    As trailed, Labour whips resign
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Whereabouts?
    Loughborough, visiting a great aunt, then to Leicester to buy fireworks and possibly a spot of dinner.
    Diwali village doesn't open for another week sadly, but on the other hand easier to find a place to eat.

No fireworks?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

619 said:
    I'm sick and tired of popcorn...
    She's not that good of an actress tbh.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    AndyJS said:

The Independent: Homophobic attacks rose 147 per cent after the Brexit vote. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwvf24tS4

Nothing, but Brexit will provide a convenient scapegoat for more or less anything bad for the next couple of years at least.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

He can replace Penn with Colorado but that is not looking likely either. Indeed it is increasingly hard to make a case that this is not over (pending something truly shocking).

I'm sure there will be further twists and turns through to election day but the essential dynamic remains the same. Trump has to run the table of the swing states and presently he's not even in the same room.

Iowa remains in the Trump column - by a whisker but he's having to play defence in Arizona and North Carolina whilst Ohio, Florida, Colorado, Nevada and New Hampshire are trending blue and Pennsylvania, critical to Trump, moves into the distance.

The Donald requires a flock of blacks swans to get back in the game.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sahil Kapur
    CBS/YouGov poll: 91% of Trump supporters in OH and 90% in PA say the tape doesn't change their view of him.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Whereabouts?

No fireworks?
    Not yet, I think. This is the timetable:

http://www.visitleicester.info/things-to-see-and-do/festivals-celebrations/diwali/diwali-lights-switch-on/
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sahil Kapur
    CBS/YouGov poll: 91% of Trump supporters in OH and 90% in PA say the tape doesn't change their view of him.

So, it's possible for him to lose around 10% of support in areas where he is already behind?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    O/T anyone here who hasn't yet caught up with The Bureau Des Legendes (Amazon Prime or ITunes) is missing out. Seriously. The best series ever made by French TV. A low bar perhaps, but cleared in style.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    edited October 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Sahil Kapur

Wow. That's another way of saying he's in danger of losing 9% or 10% of his support just on the basis of this one tape. Damaging.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Frank Luntz

What a surprise. The commentariat getting it wrong — again.
    This is Donald "WWE" Trump we are talking about here, I am surprised that anyone is surprised.... of course they are not, they are just pretending to be for political advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKFIHRpe7I
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sahil Kapur

Wow. That's another way of saying he's in danger of losing 9% or 10% of his support just on the basis of this one tape. Damaging.
    And that's before his crappy apology, the GOP abandoning him, and Rudy's admittance Trump was talking about sexual assault
  • Options
    JackW said:

DavidL said:

He can replace Penn with Colorado but that is not looking likely either. Indeed it is increasingly hard to make a case that this is not over (pending something truly shocking).

I'm sure there will be further twists and turns through to election day but the essential dynamic remains the same. Trump has to run the table of the swing states and presently he's not even in the same room.

Iowa remains in the Trump column - by a whisker but he's having to play defence in Arizona and North Carolina whilst Ohio, Florida, Colorado, Nevada and New Hampshire are trending blue and Pennsylvania, critical to Trump, moves into the distance.

The Donald requires a flock of blacks swans to get back in the game.
    I see the 538 snake has turned Iowa blue.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=mobilebar&v=1

Both Georgia and Arizona are coming into play.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sahil Kapur
    So if this came out in the primary, seems like it'd have been added to the pile of things that didn't hurt Trump. https://t.co/XmnoUXFNUS
  • Options

Makes not a jot of difference to the point originally made. The Scottish Government is virtue signalling about an issue which barely affects it. Though FWIW, when it comes to the matter of what to do with refugees, it seems to be just as bad at putting them out of sight and out of mind as the Home Office is...

"A scheme designed to offer Syrian refugees a fresh start away from their war-torn homeland has backfired after two families said the Scottish island they were sent to is "full of old people waiting to die" and they would rather be in Glasgow or Manchester.

The refugees praised the people of Scotland and said they had been made welcome on the Isle of Bute, but also complained that they were unable to find work and said they felt ashamed that they had to rely on charity.

Abd, a 42-year-old father of four, said: “I feel like I have one option now, to die here. Only die here, nothing else.”

The families said they felt isolated, were struggling to learn English and there was nothing to do on the island in the Firth of Clyde."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/25/syrian-refugees-resettled-on-remote-scottish-island-of-bute-comp/

It's heartening the amount of toaty Englanders who take such an interest in Scotland that they scour the Mail, Express and Telegraph just to get a handle on what's REALLY going on north of the border.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sahil Kapur
    So if this came out in the primary, seems like it'd have been added to the pile of things that didn't hurt Trump. https://t.co/XmnoUXFNUS

I feel it's too early for that conclusion to be reached
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/785121265489182720

The damage done to Trump would seemingly be enough to secure the election for Clinton, but the rank and file of the Republican Party may already have been radicalised too far to care. Others prefer to make an alternative comparison to that with Ukip:

"The Donald Trump story and the Jeremy Corbyn story are same tale told by different countries. A political party reinvents itself in the 1990s, wins power, but then dishonestly drags its nation into a terrible war in Iraq. It becomes widely reviled. The party is still in power a few years later when the financial system collapses. The party takes desperate measures to keep the country’s economy going – rescuing failed banks – but that in turn leads to more unpopularity and distrust among the public. It loses power. In opposition, the party’s base – its core voters – starts to revolt. The party then loses another election. Then the party’s grassroots have a chance to reject the party leadership, which they do. The voters elect instead a leader who seems unelectable, a joke figure. Journalists scoff, the party is humiliated, and everybody thinks it is funny. The party elite and its media backers try to organise coup after coup against the new leader, but that only entrenches his position. A strong (yet oddly ironic) personality cult has developed around the new leader, so that the worse he performs – and the more the media pours scorn on him – the more his supporters worship him."

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/republicans-revolting-donald-trump-look-labour-party-despair/
  • Options
  • Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

SeanT said:

Yes, but these guys were seeing Brexit as good for the whole country (as well as the City). They really believe it is a good idea, though they admit there will be some "turbulence".

Come to think of it, I met a very very posh English lady in Calabria earlier this year (married to an Italian aristo, living in a palazzo). She was also a Leaver.

I have discovered a minor sociological phenomenon. The upper class Brexiteer.

OK, last one then I have work to do. I'm on a Max Hastings kick, and have just gone thru "Secret War" (WWII), "All Hell Broke Loose" (WWII) and "Catastrophe" (WWI) like a raptor thru a flock. Telling me that the financiers and the landed gentry are in favour of a course of action despite some "turbulence" does not reassure me. They have a nasty habit of fucking up rather bigly... :(
    Oh I agree. It can be seen as a bad sign.

I really don't know what to think about Brexit. I still don't regret my vote (I very much doubt I ever will) but I veer between upper class optimism (we'll be fine, it's good for democracy, not much will change) to bourgeois pessimism (it's going to be very very nasty, but we have no choice)

Right now I am a little pessimistic. That could be my hangover talking.

" I still don't regret my vote (I very much doubt I ever will) "

Except that you've been doing exactly that here at least twice a week from the weekend after the vote onwards!
  • Options
    On 538, Alaska is closer to Clinton than Pen is to Trump
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    edited October 2016
    I don't see how finding out that 90% of Trump's supporters are as vile as he is changes anything. He's losing, so he will lose by up to 10% more.

To be honest, I'm not sure why it's this particular story that broke the GOP elephant's back. The same day there was a story about Trump doubling down on the supposed guilt of some people convicted and subsequently exonerated because of DNA evidence. The idea that justice is only a matter of what you believe, not what is provable is, to me, equally shocking.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    On Sunday Politics he had no visible marks on his face but was wired for ECG monitoring. Perhaps just local practice, or perhaps looking for cardiac dysrythmia as a cause of collapse?

Also on SP Bill Etheridge said he was standing again.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sadly the article is weak on the details of the GALOP report ( though GALOP is a credible source imho ). While correlation isn't cause that's a very big correlation and adds to the growing pile of evidence there was a sudden and big spike in reported hare crimes around the time of the vote. Why that should be deserves discussion and debate.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    Thrak said:

I don't see how finding out that 90% of Trump's supporters are as vile as he is changes anything. He's losing, so he will lose by up to 10% more.

To be honest, I'm not sure why it.'s this particular story that broke the GOP elephant's back. The same day there was a story about Trump doubling down on the supposed guilt of some people convicted and subsequently exonerated because of DNA evidence. The idea that justice is only a matter of what you believe, not what is provable is, to me, equaly shocking.

its because the GOP don't want Black people's votes, but they do want suburban women's votes
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Indigo said:

Vote2012 site has a report from Witney from a Liverpool Lib Dem who was on the doorstep yesterday . FWIW he says Lib Dems knocked on 7,000 homes yesterday , his forecast is Con hold with Lib Dems around 30% . I think Slade gave a similar message on here a couple of days ago .

What is the response rate like on door knocking ? One of the problems with modern polling seems to be that the number of people that actually bother replying to the poll is often less than 1 in 10 which makes self selection problems rather likely. Canvassing seems to do rather better, how many people answer, and how many people are either conveniently or actually not in, and how many tell the person to take a hike ?
    In my experience, if you canvass in the early evening or weekend, most people are in and answer the door. Most people are incredibly polite when you ask them the impertinent question of how they intend to vote. You get the occasional one who tells you take a hike but that is rare.

However they don't like to offend so "Don't know" or "Haven't made my mind up" or even "Probably your party" means they are going to vote for the other lot. The only ones you can rely on are those who enthusiastically say they will definitely vote for you. And even then you can't be sure.

The ones to avoid are the very friendly ones who invite you in, offer you a glass of wine and initiate a long discussion on policy. They are opposition activists who are taking up your precious canvassing time or trying to glean intelligence.
    Which is why, when canvassing, your second question is almost always "did you vote for us last time?".
  • Options

I see the 538 snake has turned Iowa blue.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=mobilebar&v=1

Both Georgia and Arizona are coming into play.

My prefered 538 model is "Polls Plus" where Trump remains ahead in Iowa. However the "Polls Only" and "NowCast" are usually precursors of the former, the more so as election day looms.

Arizona is certainly on the table, even more so as McCain has thrown Trump overboard. I would remain cautious about Georgia. It flatters to deceive for the Dems as Pennsylvania does for the GOP. That said demographic changes continue to trend the state bluer each cycle.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

(snip)

Some of the refugees on Bute may well have such an ungrateful attitude - and those who do should perhaps be offered the chance to stay there and like it or go back to Syria - but it's not acceptable to blame all of them for what some have said. Also there may be a question as to the quality of help they are getting to integrate. If they're "struggling" to learn English, why is that? You can be sure that characters in or connected with the local authority are in it for the contracts, just as they'll be into anything else for the contracts - just this time it's refugees.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

AndyJS said:

Sadly the article is weak on the details of the GALOP report ( though GALOP is a credible source imho ). While correlation isn't cause that's a very big correlation and adds to the growing pile of evidence there was a sudden and big spike in reported hare crimes around the time of the vote. Why that should be deserves discussion and debate.
    except the first report was total bollocks and just a poor manipulation of percentages by a journo

if I claim murders of british citizens by lithuanians is down by 100% since brexit does that prove brexit has impacted EU crime on british citizens ?

• Options
    Thrak said:

To be honest, I'm not sure why it's this particular story that broke the GOP elephant's back. The same day there was a story about Trump doubling down on the supposed guilt of some people convicted and subsequently exonerated because of DNA evidence. The idea that justice is only a matter of what you believe, not what is provable is, to me, equally shocking.

Because it's about emotions and not the intellect.
  • Options
    I have this vision of Trump going total Alex Jones fairly soon.
  • Options

He already has. He is accusing Bill Clinton of rape on his twitter FFS
  • Options
    If you missed it SNL on #Trumptapes is genius. http://digg.com/video/trump-tapes-snl-alec-baldwin
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Indigo said:

Vote2012 site has a report from Witney from a Liverpool Lib Dem who was on the doorstep yesterday . FWIW he says Lib Dems knocked on 7,000 homes yesterday , his forecast is Con hold with Lib Dems around 30% . I think Slade gave a similar message on here a couple of days ago .

What is the response rate like on door knocking ? One of the problems with modern polling seems to be that the number of people that actually bother replying to the poll is often less than 1 in 10 which makes self selection problems rather likely. Canvassing seems to do rather better, how many people answer, and how many people are either conveniently or actually not in, and how many tell the person to take a hike ?
    In my experience, if you canvass in the early evening or weekend, most people are in and answer the door. Most people are incredibly polite when you ask them the impertinent question of how they intend to vote. You get the occasional one who tells you take a hike but that is rare.

However they don't like to offend so "Don't know" or "Haven't made my mind up" or even "Probably your party" means they are going to vote for the other lot. The only ones you can rely on are those who enthusiastically say they will definitely vote for you. And even then you can't be sure.

The ones to avoid are the very friendly ones who invite you in, offer you a glass of wine and initiate a long discussion on policy. They are opposition activists who are taking up your precious canvassing time or trying to glean intelligence.
    Which is why, when canvassing, your second question is almost always "did you vote for us last time?".
    Indeed - I usually ask them first if they have voted for us before.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    619 said:

He already has. He is accusing Bill Clinton of rape on his twitter FFS
    Do you think Bill should be "first Lady" or give the Office up ?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Or James Forrestal. Two things are for sure: Trump doesn't cope well with pressure, and he's under an extreme amount of it.

Bullies are usually cowards. He could crack up in front of 100 million people.

Jones is lucid when he gets furious. "Hitler took the guns Stalin took the guns (...) 1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms! (...) We will not relinquish them. Do you understand?" is on a different level from calling Ms Machado "Miss Housekeeping". In his most recent tweet, Trump is exclaiming about "So many self-righteous hypocrites".
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/785120729364922369

Trump being genuinely sorry, ashamed and contrite
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I think the CPS improved under his tenure but that was moving the scale from incompetent laughing stock so not an enormous challenge. My understanding though is that he wasn't hugely popular which you don't need to be if you're a great leader. He wasn't the latter though and was seen as something of a political placeman

That's a long way of saying, he may do well in the current role - that requires rhetorical skill which barristers are rarely short of. However, it also suggests that he would be less than skilled as a party leader and query whether he has the friends to put him in that position. Lots of moving parts but no neat fit.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Or James Forrestal. Two things are for sure: Trump doesn't cope well with pressure, and he's under an extreme amount of it.

Bullies are usually cowards. He could crack up in front of 100 million people.

Jones is lucid when he gets furious. "Hitler took the guns Stalin took the guns (...) 1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms! (...) We will not relinquish them. Do you understand?" is on a different level from calling Ms Machado "Miss Housekeeping". In his most recent tweet, Trump is exclaiming about "So many self-righteous hypocrites".
    This seems to really have Trump rattled and enraged. His statement on Friday was contrite (and by the style and language written by another), but his actions suggest that he sees nothing wrong in his behaviour. He may well have a total meltdown on air tonight.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    Whips a go-go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37602161

The odd thing is that this is a real meh! story. Usually a resignation - even from the opposition - would be a big story. But it's just another Labour resignation.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't buy this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-42055-Technic-Excavator-Building/dp/B01CCT2ZIG

It's for my son. Ahem.
  • Options

Whips a go-go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37602161

The odd thing is that this is a real meh! story. Usually a resignation - even from the opposition - would be a big story. But it's just another Labour resignation.

These days they come as often as an offensive trump tweet.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

When my neighbours moved in, I commented on the LEGO Death Star their son had built.

"It's not his..."
  • Options

AndyJS said:

except the first report was total bollocks and just a poor manipulation of percentages by a journo

if I claim murders of british citizens by lithuanians is down by 100% since brexit does that prove brexit has impacted EU crime on british citizens ?

No. We've hard Police data now. Reports of racially motivated crimes increased, peaked then started to drop back toward trend rates. The bell shaped curve starts in the final two weeks of the campaign. Why this is is a worthy topic of debate.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090
    This is the ultimate test of the theory that Trump has broken the media's and elite's role in intermediating the conversation between politicians and the electorate. They want to be the ones who judge what should outrage the public. If the public response is 'meh' they have nowhere left to go after the disproportionate hysteria of the last couple of days.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,271
    619 said:

He's right though, they will be going down, if he's talking about down ticket GOP people running for Congress etc. He's dragging them down as he bursts into flames and implodes.

• Options

This is the ultimate test of the theory that Trump has broken the media's and elite's role in intermediating the conversation between politicians and the electorate. They want to be the ones who judge what should outrage the public. If the public response is 'meh' they have nowhere left to go after the disproportionate hysteria of the last couple of days.

ummmm i think there is enough evidence that the public hate him (35% favourability). Its that 35% who cant be reached
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

When my neighbours moved in, I commented on the LEGO Death Star their son had built.

"It's not his..."
    At one place I worked, a colleague collected all the large Lego sets. He'd bring a set in, place them on a table in his cube, and we'd all help build it.

Between that, cake reviews, and Nerf gunning clients, I sometimes wonder how I ever got any software written ... ;)
  • Options
    619 said:

He seems to have also sent a much more incendiary tweet linking to shocking allegations of the highest order against his opponents husband that I won't repeat here for OGHs sake, that a certain kipper supporting US right wing news source has an exclusive transcript of an interview of the alleged victim making said allegations.

Dont know how it works there but over here Mr C would be getting his collar felt as police tend to arrest first and ask whether the evidence is credible later with this offence.

Interview filmed at the Watergate hotel.

This sure as hell is one uber dirty campaign.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

At one place I worked, a colleague collected all the large Lego sets. He'd bring a set in, place them on a table in his cube, and we'd all help build it.

Between that, cake reviews, and Nerf gunning clients, I sometimes wonder how I ever got any software written ... ;)

There is a story about the LEGO Death Star on Big Bang Theory. They bought it on eBay, "unassembled". Turns out the previous owner bought it, built it, then took it apart and sold them a box of bits. Of course assembling it again is much harder. An intern spent weeks. Then they cut the scene it was going to appear in.
  • Options

619 said:

He seems to have also sent a much more incendiary tweet linking to shocking allegations of the highest order against his opponents husband that I won't repeat here for OGHs sake, that a certain kipper supporting US right wing news source has an exclusive transcript of an interview of the alleged victim making said allegations.

Dont know how it works there but over here Mr C would be getting his collar felt as police tend to arrest first and ask whether the evidence is credible later with this offence.

he is going to bring up clinton defending a paedophile in the 70's when she was a lawyer as well. So really classy!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    DavidL said:

Total collapse by England in the Cricket. Not a huge target but very hard to see a way back from here.

It's not looking good at 132-8.
    Stick a fork in it. This one's done.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

There is a story about the LEGO Death Star on Big Bang Theory. They bought it on eBay, "unassembled". Turns out the previous owner bought it, built it, then took it apart and sold them a box of bits. Of course assembling it again is much harder. An intern spent weeks. Then they cut the scene it was going to appear in.
    What you mean even Sheldon was stumped?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Didn't Keir Starmer make a pig's ear of the numerous failed prosecutions of alleged historical sex offences, or was that his successor?

Also, my post-race analysis and thoughts on the title are up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/japan-post-race-analysis-2016.html
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited October 2016
    619 said:

619 said:

he is going to bring up clinton defending a paedophile in the 70's when she was a lawyer as well. So really classy!
    What matters with this story is whether it has legs. On the face of it we have a video in which a victim alleges that a former US president whose spouse then and now is running against trump did something which sounds the same as those yellow brassicas that infest the british countryside in spring.

If there is any legs to this (and the allegations are apparently on video) it is huge.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

AndyJS said:

No. We've hard Police data now. Reports of racially motivated crimes increased, peaked then started to drop back toward trend rates. The bell shaped curve starts in the final two weeks of the campaign. Why this is is a worthy topic of debate.
    But the hard police data is based on reports to a website that doesn't validate ID and therefore can be subject to duplicates and idiots. Its not like there isn't form for putting false data into website after BrExit, remember all those nice people in far away countries that were on the petition for a second referendum ? Not to mention with idiots of 4chan with their robot spamming 40k+ entries into the petition. It may be true, but I would treat it with a healthy scepticism.

(See discussion of crying wolf a couple of days ago)
  • Options
    F1: hmm. BBC thinks Hulkenberg could go to Renault. Did hear a rumour to that effect a little while ago, and with Palmer (and possibly Magnussen too) set for the heave-ho it could well be true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37600049
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, quite.

Fear of zombie apocalypse are at an all time high. That doesn't mean we need to be worried about zombies attacking.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Gatwick Airport to plan new runway even if Heathrow wins
    The West Sussex hub remains "ready to deliver" another runway, even if Heathrow is chosen as the preferred site.

http://news.sky.com/story/gatwick-airport-to-plan-new-runway-even-if-heathrow-wins-10611183
  • Options

619 said:

619 said:

What matters with this story is whether it has legs. On the face of it we have a video in which a victim alleges that a former US president whose spouse then and now is running against trump did something which sounds the same as those yellow brassicas that infest the british countryside in spring.

If there is any legs to this (and the allegations are apparently on video) it is huge.
    These allegations has been around for years, including during Bill's second term. It was investigated and bill was found innocent. The republican Starr report into Clinton found no evidence of Bill being a rapist. This is just nothing really.
  • Options
    Check the front page of Breitbart.com but I would suggest not linking it here.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    MPs should vote on the terms of Brexit negotiations, Labour's shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer has said. Sir Keir told the BBC the referendum result "has to be accepted" but accused the PM of trying to "manoeuvre without any scrutiny" on how to achieve it.
    He also said he believed immigration should be reduced, by increasing British workers' skills.
    Downing Street said his call for a vote was "an attempt to find another way to thwart the will of the British people."
    The government intends to trigger Article 50, the official process for exiting the EU, by the end of March 2017.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37600563

Good luck with that......
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Indigo said:

Check the front page of Breitbart.com but I would suggest not linking it here.

Why not? If it were an anti-Trump piece then Scott+P and 619 would be re-tweeting it on here until the pixels fell off the screen.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited October 2016

Good afternoon, everyone.

Didn't Keir Starmer make a pig's ear of the numerous failed prosecutions of alleged historical sex offences, or was that his successor?

Also, my post-race analysis and thoughts on the title are up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/japan-post-race-analysis-2016.html

Keir Starker lost any respect I might have had for him with his publicity seeking press conferences to Nnounce prosecutions of people...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    619 said:
    I wonder who from the general public has been picked to ask it?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,003

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

My girls need https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/The-Disney-Castle-71040

The fact they are 14 and won't be allowed near it at any time is utterly irrelevant...
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

619 said:

Seeing as the person involved has already sworn on oath that there was nothing I doubt it. I presume Trump thinks that he is the way to get at her but how mad do you gave to be to think that a man shares his frequent infidelities with his wife.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    What is this obsession with voting on the terms of BrExit? HOW FFS ?

We wont know what the terms are until after we enact Article 50.

After we enact Article 50 there are two choice
    1. Whatever we manage to agree
    2. Leaving with no agreement and using WTO terms

That's it. That the choice. There isnt any other.

Even the most crappy rock hard agreement is going be at least a slight improvement on exit to WTO.

So remind me, what are MPs supposed to be voting on again ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090

619 said:
    Rosie O'Donell?
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

"It's not his..."

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/compiling.png
  • Options
    I have it on good authority that in the 2020 US presidential elections the electorate will have to choose between Jimmy Saville and Rose West.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983

619 said:
    Only a subset of the questions were drawn from the public. And they only promised to 'consider' the top twenty.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Indigo said:

What is this obsession with voting on the terms of BrExit? HOW FFS ?

We wont know what the terms are until after we enact Article 50.

After we enact Article 50 there are two choice
    1. Whatever we manage to agree
    2. Leaving with no agreement and using WTO terms

That's it. That the choice. There isnt any other.

Even the most crappy rock hard agreement is going be at least a slight improvement on exit to WTO.

So remind me, what are MPs supposed to be voting on again ?

It's probably an opportunity for the opposition (of whatever political flavour) to make sure the electors know the government should have made a better job of the negotiations. Whatever the result is, some will feel that way.
  • Options

619 said:

619 said:

Juanita Broaddrick's interview with Breitbart is new, but her rape allegation against Bill Clinton isn't. As for what she says in that interview about Hillary Clinton, even accepted prima facie it's not very strong evidence.

Trump too has been accused in lawsuits of sexual offences: the rape of a 13-year-old girl ("Jane Doe" - here's her affidavit) and an attempted rape (Jill Harth - she's on video here).
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, quite. It's mendacious or stupid. It makes no sense whatsoever. It's Lib Dem policy.

Mr. Root, ah, I remember those. It was a bit self-aggrandising.
  • Options

619 said:

619 said:

She recanted her accusations when she was deposed. That kills the story dead.
  • Options
    619 said:
    Ah, so the tape will be the subject of the first question, and the moderator who puts the question will be a woman. Trump could go completely nuts.
  • Options
    RobD said:

619 said:
    Only a subset of the questions were drawn from the public. And they only promised to 'consider' the top twenty.
    the public can ask questions though?

I assume it will be a young lady asking the question.
  • Options
    619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:
    the public can ask questions though?

I assume it will be a young lady asking the question.
    as in ask, not chose, the questions
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

And Trump would be stupid to bring up Bill.. he's not standing for election!
  • Options
    After bemoaning how close Tomb Raider and XCOM 2's release dates were, and not ordering the latter, it seems the former is delayed a week in Europe for the PS4.

Ah, well. Gives me more time to try and get the proofread done. Be pleased if I can get it sorted before the game's out.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

And Trump would be stupid to bring up Bill.. he's not standing for election!
    The angle is that Hilary intimidated her into silence.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

619 said:

619 said:

Juanita Broaddrick's interview with Breitbart is new, but her rape allegation against Bill Clinton isn't. As for what she says in that interview about Hillary Clinton, even accepted prima facie it's not very strong evidence.

Trump too has been accused in lawsuits of sexual offences: the rape of a 13-year-old girl ("Jane Doe" - here's her affidavit) and an attempted rape (Jill Harth - she's on video here).
    Has there been anything new in this allegation since the case was discussed here?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/1999/03/is_juanita_broaddrick_telling_the_truth.html

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,020

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

A 501 page instruction manual and a 20 hour build time... That's a pretty serious commitment.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

"It's not his..."

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/compiling.png
    I think most of my posts on PB pre-2014 used that as an excuse. :)

However a better one is: "I'm just running a test harness."
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, looks cool. I had a Technik dinosaur. Once, I jumped out of bed and landed on it. There was surprisingly little blood.
This discussion has been closed.