Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Joff Wild says keep an eye on Keir

124»

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    And here's another salvo from Donald

Exclusive Video–Broaddrick, Willey, Jones to Bill's Defenders: ‘These Are Crimes,’ ‘Terrified’ of ‘Enabler’ Hillary
    https://t.co/DMfLsIbtU1
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048

Oh, and anyone I see using the conditional operator ? will be thrown out of the nearest window.

Why? (Asking because I need a good argument to make someone stop it.)
    IMO: because it produces code that can be hard to parse (and in fact is usually deliberately used for that purpose), and is utterly unnecessary in the modern world. Also, it can be fairly evil in use.

People who tend to use it also, in general, produce less readable code than those who do not.

Generally, nowadays I only see it being used as a show-off sign of programmers' intelligence. "See, I produced some really compact source!"

But it is a personal preference.

As a side point: there was/is a code metrics tool called McCabe. One of the metrics it produced was 'programmer intelligence'. It would analyse a routine and work out its complexity. Higher values were seen as being bad, because it would be hard for another programmer to come along and understand the routine.
  • Options
    Of tangential interest:

Trump, the board game

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/10/trump-the-game-review/
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Exclusive Video–Broaddrick, Willey, Jones to Bill's Defenders: ‘These Are Crimes,’ ‘Terrified’ of ‘Enabler’ Hillary

If this didn't destroy either of Clinton's two presidencies, I fail to see how it will gain much traction now.

Trump's use of it as a defence is interesting: he's essentially saying: "look, they're as bad as me!"
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

PlatoSaid said:

If this didn't destroy either of Clinton's two presidencies, I fail to see how it will gain much traction now.

Trump's use of it as a defence is interesting: he's essentially saying: "look, they're as bad as me!"
    It doesn't sound like Trump has been studying macro-economic policy.

"Lets make America grope again!"
  • Options
    South Park are going to have to update their meme for this election as a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.
  • Options

I agree it does not but Trump's strategy appears to be to lessen the enthusiasm of certain strongly pro-Democrat blocs to vote - he was never going to convince African-Americans to vote Republican by saying how the Democrats never did anything for the community, but it does maybe encourage an attitude of "why bother to vote?".

Similarly, with women - Trump is not going to persuade women he is not a douche: but, if he can persuade a number of wavering women that HRC is not the ally of women she makes herself out to be, he can neutralise some of her vote.

Trump knows his supporters are enthused and will get out and also that even those Republicans who do not like him are fearful of what a HRC Presidency will mean for the Supreme Court in particular, so are likely to vote for him holding their noses. What he needs to do now is dampen enthusiasm amongst HRC's groups so that they do not turn out.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,089

Say it, sister.

Will the Donald again thank 'respected columnist' Katie Hopkins for her support?
  • Options
    That's interesting. Sugar's Apprentice series started in 2005. Brown's mic incident was 2010.

I wonder what Sugar said before he learnt the lesson from Brown? :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    Given what SirrrrrrAlun posts on twitter, probably good idea in his case.

One point of order, apparently it isn't up to NBC, apparently Mark Bunnett owns / has it all.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2016

nunu said:

619 said:

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/785146581301420032

Early voting for NC. A lot of minority and women early voting....

Hmm not a lot of AA and doesn't look like a surge if Hispanic voters.
    The comparisons with 2012 that look interesting. Democrats and independents up with registered Republicans down.
    Oldnorthstatepolitics is the web site to follow for NC voting. Great graphs.
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

We should move to a source control type system for comment threads. So people check out a sort, append comments to it, fork it, branch it, and there should be multiple versions, and occasional votes on merging various incompatible versions of the thread.

There's one flaw with that plan:

You'll be responsible for merging branches and resolving any conflicts. ;)
    Also the biggest argument on PB will no longer be Brexit, Trump, AV, inheritance tax, but tabs versus spaces.
    Obviously, two spaces, with opening brackets on a separate line, and any conditional statement having braces, even if it is just one line.

Anyone not obeying these rules will have a visit from myself and various coding standards bibles.
    Two spaces? Are you mad? :o
    Yes, but that's irrelevant. ;)

bool josiasJessop = false if (false == josiasJessop) { printf("You are MAD!"); }
    K&R/Hall braces placement! I feel that you may actually be programmer.

EtA: Stroustrup also used this syntax.
    Bah. Are you sure you're a programmer, Mr Thoughts? :)

After all, the really important thing in my code snippet isn't the braces; it's the fact I put the boolean literal before the variable within the conditional. That way, if I miss an = in the conditional and just put in (false = josiasJessop), the compiler will throw a wobbly!

I don't know how many bugs I've seen due to the programmer mixing up = and ==. Even if some (most?) modern compilers will throw a warning for it ...

Oh, and anyone I see using the conditional operator ? will be thrown out of the nearest window.
    Code should be maintainable: This requires common-form. So the rules of scope and indentation should match for any language employed: SQL, C, VB6, PASCAL, Java, Javascript, Bourne, Bash &c.

Sadly this is battle I am losing. Yet to declare open-warfare....

:neutral:

PS: Ternaries [?] are in-line code on-the-fly. Same as Iif, IsNull and Decode.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Latest Trump ad majors on security

@HillaryClinton #MakeAmericaGreatAgain https://t.co/9YrTsI5C7t
  • Options

NEW THREAD

This discussion has been closed.