Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Joff Wild says keep an eye on Keir

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    rcs1000 said:

Off-topic:

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't buy this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-42055-Technic-Excavator-Building/dp/B01CCT2ZIG

It's for my son. Ahem.

A 501 page instruction manual and a 20 hour build time... That's a pretty serious commitment.
    I know. But ...

It's cool!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/785120729364922369

Trump being genuinely sorry, ashamed and contrite

He seems to have also sent a much more incendiary tweet linking to shocking allegations of the highest order against his opponents husband that I won't repeat here for OGHs sake, that a certain kipper supporting US right wing news source has an exclusive transcript of an interview of the alleged victim making said allegations.

Dont know how it works there but over here Mr C would be getting his collar felt as police tend to arrest first and ask whether the evidence is credible later with this offence.

Interview filmed at the Watergate hotel.

This sure as hell is one uber dirty campaign.
    he is going to bring up clinton defending a paedophile in the 70's when she was a lawyer as well. So really classy!
    What matters with this story is whether it has legs. On the face of it we have a video in which a victim alleges that a former US president whose spouse then and now is running against trump did something which sounds the same as those yellow brassicas that infest the british countryside in spring.

If there is any legs to this (and the allegations are apparently on video) it is huge.
    She recanted her accusations when she was deposed. That kills the story dead.
    Many people do. Intimidation can also be a serious crime, though.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

When my neighbours moved in, I commented on the LEGO Death Star their son had built.

"It's not his..."
    At one place I worked, a colleague collected all the large Lego sets. He'd bring a set in, place them on a table in his cube, and we'd all help build it.

Between that, cake reviews, and Nerf gunning clients, I sometimes wonder how I ever got any software written ... ;)
    http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/compiling.png
    I think most of my posts on PB pre-2014 used that as an excuse. :)

However a better one is: "I'm just running a test harness."
    Continuous integration and automated testing has put that one to bed for me.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:
    I wonder who from the general public has been picked to ask it?
    Only a subset of the questions were drawn from the public. And they only promised to 'consider' the top twenty.
    the public can ask questions though?

I assume it will be a young lady asking the question.
    The broadcasters do have to try and look balanced in these things, don't they?
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    619 said:

619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:
    Only a subset of the questions were drawn from the public. And they only promised to 'consider' the top twenty.

as in ask, not chose, the questions
    All questions will be put by the moderators.

You can see which questions got the most votes here. The promise is to consider the top 30.

The top ten are:

1) Would you support requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales?
    2) How will you ensure the 2nd amendment is protected?
    3) Do you support expanding, and not cutting, Social Security's modest benefits?
    4) As president, What are the steps you will take to address climate change?
    5) Would you act to repeal citizens united?
    6) Would you support term limits for members of Congress and the Supreme Court?
    7) Social Security is not an entitlement or a handout, how are you going to save it?
    8) How do you plan to make healthcare affordable for EVERYONE?
    9) If you deport my parents, what happens to me?
    10) What is your plan to combat climate change & build a green economy?
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

He seems to have also sent a much more incendiary tweet linking to shocking allegations of the highest order against his opponents husband that I won't repeat here for OGHs sake, that a certain kipper supporting US right wing news source has an exclusive transcript of an interview of the alleged victim making said allegations.

Dont know how it works there but over here Mr C would be getting his collar felt as police tend to arrest first and ask whether the evidence is credible later with this offence.

he is going to bring up clinton defending a paedophile in the 70's when she was a lawyer as well. So really classy!
    What matters with this story is whether it has legs. On the face of it we have a video in which a victim alleges that a former US president whose spouse then and now is running against trump did something which sounds the same as those yellow brassicas that infest the british countryside in spring.

If there is any legs to this (and the allegations are apparently on video) it is huge.
    Cool. Would be even better if there was evidence of that!
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited October 2016
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

And Trump would be stupid to bring up Bill.. he's not standing for election!
    The angle is that Hilary intimidated her into silence.
    Isnt the other angle the meme that the establishment allegedly closed ranks to protect Mr and Mrs C.

ie one law for the elite and another for the deplorables. I seem to recall similar things allegedly happened when Savilles victims tried to speak out while he was still alive.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

This has been the most unedifying election I can remember. The sort of thing one can only hope to see forgotten as soon as possible. Yet people will probably be studying it in history books if Mrs Clinton wins.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited October 2016
    GeoffM said:

DavidL said:

Total collapse by England in the Cricket. Not a huge target but very hard to see a way back from here.

It's not looking good at 132-8.
    Stick a fork in it. This one's done.
    Are u related to Southam Observer? It is about a run a ball ...it is do-able....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

As Bill said back in 1992, "Buy one, get one free."
  • Options

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

Isnt the other angle the meme that the establishment closed ranks to protect Mr and Mrs C.

ie one law for the elite and another for the deplorables. I seem to recall similar things allegedly happened when Savilles victims tried to speak out while he was still alive.
    Maybe, but if she said on Oath ( and presumably video) that she made it up, its a non-starter. The moderator will have to confirm that as well.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

This has been the most unedifying election I can remember. The sort of thing one can only hope to see forgotten as soon as possible. Yet people will probably be studying it in history books if Mrs Clinton wins.
    Whereas if Trump wins, they will be studying it from whatever remains from the nuclear war he starts up
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

619 said:

619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:

You can see which questions got the most votes here. The promise is to consider the top 30.

The top ten are:

3) Do you support expanding, and not cutting, Social Security's modest benefits?
    7) Social Security is not an entitlement or a handout, how are you going to save it?
    Those are good topics actually ( Though the questions themselves aren't) B interested to see some of those discussed.
  • Options
    619 said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

Isnt the other angle the meme that the establishment closed ranks to protect Mr and Mrs C.

Maybe, but if she said on Oath ( and presumably video) that she made it up, its a non-starter. The moderator will have to confirm that as well.
    WTF does it matter what the moderator says. The people are voting not the media commentariat. Just as with Brexit.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

Is that true? That doesn't fit the timeline here:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/1999/03/is_juanita_broaddrick_telling_the_truth.html
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    619 said:

GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

Cool. Would be even better if there was evidence of that!
    So first Bill Clinton did sonething when he was apparently elsewhere, then he shared that infedility with his wife because, you know, that's what men do, then his wife covered completely for him.

In Trump world I suppose this is what the role of a wife actually is. We are, however, in the real world.

What is the supposed intimidation? I'd seen about HRC thanking her at some event 'for all you've done' but that can't be it (I mean, what else do you say to supporters at an event?)

• Options
    619 said:

Dromedary said:

619 said:

619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:

The top ten are:

Those are good topics actually ( Though the questions themselves aren't) B interested to see some of those discussed.
    What do you think is wrong with the questions? I thought they were all reasonable (number 9 does seems very specific)
  • Options
    RobD said:

619 said:

Dromedary said:

619 said:

619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:

The top ten are:

What do you think is wrong with the questions? I thought they were all reasonable (number 9 does seems very specific)
    Some of them a bit biased ( thought not all). I am fine overall with those though
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,020

Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

When my neighbours moved in, I commented on the LEGO Death Star their son had built.

"It's not his..."
    At one place I worked, a colleague collected all the large Lego sets. He'd bring a set in, place them on a table in his cube, and we'd all help build it.

Between that, cake reviews, and Nerf gunning clients, I sometimes wonder how I ever got any software written ... ;)

Surely your unit tests take an hour to run???
  • Options
    The line that Broaddrick recanted the allegations seems to be completely false. It's the other way round. She initially denied the allegation (despite having told friends contempraneously about it) and only confirmed it when she was forced to testify.
  • Options

619 said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

619 said:

619 said:

WTF does it matter what the moderator says. The people are voting not the media commentariat. Just as with Brexit.
    Its a factual thing, not a comment. How is it media bias ( as you imply?)
  • Options
    619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:

Dromedary said:

619 said:

619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:

The top ten are:

Some of them a bit biased ( thought not all). I am fine overall with those though
    Some of the ten are biased? I don't see it...
  • Options

GeoffM said:

DavidL said:

Total collapse by England in the Cricket. Not a huge target but very hard to see a way back from here.

It's not looking good at 132-8.
    Stick a fork in it. This one's done.
    Are u related to Southam Observer? It is about a run a ball ...it is do-able....
    It was the "8" bit I was most concerned about ... which has now changed to a "9"
    You'd be spot on if Buttler and Baistow were still there!
  • Options
    RobD said:

619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:

Dromedary said:

619 said:

619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:

The top ten are:

2, 3, 7 and 9 specifically, Not overly so though
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

"It's not his..."

That works if you can get people to check their source in. :)

My best source-control story: we had a brilliant programmer who, like many such people, was a bit of a maverick. He hated source control (CVS at the time).

He went away on holiday without checking in his source on an important project. Worse, he took the hard drive with the only copy of his work on holiday with him. Why? It had a load of his MP3's on it.

The management did not take it well.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    The last thing Corbyn wants is a semi-competent front bencher which makes his position as leader look even more ridiculous. Abbott, Gardiner, Thornberry, etc, are a perfect foil for Corbyn. Benn, Starmer, etc , are not. The public will be once again thinking 'hhmm, how come HE'S not the leader?' Corbyn will not stand for it.
  • Options

The line that Broaddrick recanted the allegations seems to be completely false. It's the other way round. She initially denied the allegation (despite having told friends contempraneously about it) and only confirmed it when she was forced to testify.

Suddenly its all about Clinton not Trump
  • Options
    619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:

Dromedary said:

619 said:

619 said:

RobD said:

619 said:

The top ten are:

2, 3, 7 and 9 specifically, Not overly so though
    On 2, the duty of the president is to defend the constitution, so it's a valid question. ;)

For 3, yeah that could simply be 'would you expand or cut social security', and merged with 7.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,020

Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

"It's not his..."

My best source-control story: we had a brilliant programmer who, like many such people, was a bit of a maverick. He hated source control (CVS at the time).

He went away on holiday without checking in his source on an important project. Worse, he took the hard drive with the only copy of his work on holiday with him. Why? It had a load of his MP3's on it.

We should move to a source control type system for comment threads. So people check out a sort, append comments to it, fork it, branch it, and there should be multiple versions, and occasional votes on merging various incompatible versions of the thread.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

"It's not his..."

We should move to a source control type system for comment threads. So people check out a sort, append comments to it, fork it, branch it, and there should be multiple versions, and occasional votes on merging various incompatible versions of the thread.
    Much easier just to bring back the like button, surely? ;)
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

rcs1000 said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

A 501 page instruction manual and a 20 hour build time... That's a pretty serious commitment.
    I know. But ...

It's cool!
    Don't get me started, I am having a mini midlife crisis here, I just caught myself browsing through the pages of a online catalog for electric skateboards. I mean yes I live right next to a two mile long lovely straight flat concrete road, but even so, I am nearly 50!

https://boostedboards.com/introducing-2nd-generation-boosted-board/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

"It's not his..."

Sometimes longer. But we get emailed the results, and there is always another story to work on. Kanban FTW.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

"It's not his..."

Host the comments on GitHub.
  • Options

I have my doubts that Trump will be able to turn it around based on attacking Bill with years old, more than likely false rape allegations.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

"It's not his..."

There's one flaw with that plan:

You'll be responsible for merging branches and resolving any conflicts. ;)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,002
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

"It's not his..."

You usually only run the ones in the area of code you are changing.

The overnight test build should then run all tests overnight...

You should see how Facebook does integration testing...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

rcs1000 said:

Also the biggest argument on PB will no longer be Brexit, Trump, AV, inheritance tax, but tabs versus spaces.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

I know. But ...

It's cool!
    Don't get me started, I am having a mini midlife crisis here, I just caught myself browsing through the pages of a online catalog for electric skateboards. I mean yes I live right next to a two mile long lovely straight flat concrete road, but even so, I am nearly 50!

Ha! I bought a copy of Motorcycle Monthly and browsed for lessons. Then I slapped myself :smiley:
  • Options
    glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Also the biggest argument on PB will no longer be Brexit, Trump, AV, inheritance tax, but tabs versus spaces.

Can I just add the word python and leave it at that...
  • Options
    glw said:

rcs1000 said:

We should all use camel case for Dromedary.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited October 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

I know. But ...

It's cool!

Ha! I bought a copy of Motorcycle Monthly and browsed for lessons. Then I slapped myself :smiley:
    I dont have that excuse even, I already ride a motorcycle! (Because that is how almost everyone gets around here)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Alistair said:

Well, I think Trump is going to have to be very careful with his angles. It's difficult to get away from the fact that his attack on Clinton arises out of her husband being unfaithful to her, and given the position he's currently in, such an action might seem rather unchivalrous (though admittedly not as unchivalrous as groping a woman's vagina).
  • Options
    619 said:

I have my doubts that Trump will be able to turn it around based on attacking Bill with years old, more than likely false rape allegations.
    I don't understand why Trump thinks that going after Bill Clinton helps him. Other than those who hate her already for whatever reason it just creates sympathy for Hillary and reminds people what a sexually aggressive man as President might get up to.

I can only think that he believes that, as in Trump world, a wife is a mere lapdog there to do the husband's bidding.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    619 said:

Quite. All this stuff has been out there on the internet since forever, and the allegations both ways are hugely more serious than that silly bush/trump men behaving badly video. The tide has simply turned against trump.
  • Options
    If I had to guess this evening we will see a question / challenge from Clinton to deny something that Trump hasn't yet been accused of...then on Monday morning we get a new video.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

The tide has simply turned against trump.

Remember that the peak of the 'Trump is finished' stories during the primaries came just before he won...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited October 2016
    Moses_ said:

Gatwick Airport to plan new runway even if Heathrow wins
    The West Sussex hub remains "ready to deliver" another runway, even if Heathrow is chosen as the preferred site.

http://news.sky.com/story/gatwick-airport-to-plan-new-runway-even-if-heathrow-wins-10611183

I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as Gatwick Airport Ltd.(GAL) are also prepared to pick up the tab for several billions of pounds of associated infrastructure costs that would be necessary to make their new runway work. Knowing GAL of old I would expect they would want the taxpayer to pay for "anything outside the perimeter".

• Options
    glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Obviously, two spaces, with opening brackets on a separate line, and any conditional statement having braces, even if it is just one line.

Anyone not obeying these rules will have a visit from myself and various coding standards bibles.
  • Options

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Obviously, two spaces, with opening brackets on a separate line, and any conditional statement having braces, even if it is just one line.

Anyone not obeying these rules will have a visit from myself and various coding standards bibles.
    Two spaces? Are you mad? :o
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, but that's irrelevant. ;)

bool josiasJessop = false if (false == josiasJessop) { printf("You are MAD!"); }
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

"It's not his..."

:D
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited October 2016

Ishmael_X said:

Remember that the peak of the 'Trump is finished' stories during the primaries came just before he won...
    Yeah and Labour is going to win a landslide based in his increased "mandate". Trouble for Trump tonight is he is now seen as a joke. People will vote for someone for president if they see them as incompetent but not if they are seen as a laughing stock, which Trump quickly is becoming (become even).
  • Options
    Good, ole Douglas.

https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/785144058452770816

How many alpha males does it take to turn round a flagging campaign? I guess we're going to find out if it's two.

'Obscene Donald Trump comments 'alpha male boasting' - Farage'

http://tinyurl.com/grp8rg4
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    PlatoSaid said:

You are Diane Abbott and I claim a place in your Shadow Home Office team .... er ... No I don't .. :smile:
  • Options

nope, she denied it on oath with an affadavitt

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/785152296879583232
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Vote2012 site has a report from Witney from a Liverpool Lib Dem who was on the doorstep yesterday .

And there, in a sentence, is why I don't take by elections seriously.
  • Options
    Bangladesh 238 for 8

England 204 all out after 44.4 overs.

England on schedule to win but lost too many early wickets.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Infernal modernism has no place here.

Comment threads should be either inscribed upon bronze stele or engraved in stone.

Winning tips may have their stele chased with silver.
  • Options
    glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Tabs, in code? Seriously? Mr. Jessop's "rules" and standards I can cope with or at least understand, but the use of tabs. nah.

*wanders off to find a suitable nursing home*

P.S. Anyone on here old enough to remember Awk?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    rcs1000 said:

Off-topic:

It's for my son. Ahem.

"Safety Warning :
    not appropriate for children under the age of 21" :open_mouth:
  • Options
    I was asked to do an online training course a few months ago, as the company had paid for it. I chose Python and became a master.

Then my title was ripped from me: DJango was now required! I dumped the course (but miss Ms Sarah Buchannan)!!!

• Options

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Tabs, in code? Seriously? Mr. Jessop's "rules" and standards I can cope with or at least understand, but the use of tabs. nah.

How about Atlas Autocode on the Manchester Atlas in the 1960s?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Anyone else notice how eastern European many white Americans look? Not so British isles. Didn't notice till the recent wave of immigration. Especially in the mid west/ north east.
  • Options
    619 said:

I suggest you read the full history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juanita_Broaddrick

"After being approached by the FBI, Broaddrick consulted her son, a lawyer, who told her she could not lie to federal investigators. After they promised her she would not be prosecuted for perjury regarding her affidavit in the Jones case, Broaddrick recanted the affidavit."

What she recanted was the denial, not the accusation.
  • Options
    Kevin_McCandlessKevin_McCandless Posts: 392
    edited October 2016
    619 said:

Yeah. Economic issues are what brought Trump here and they work well in a town-hall setting. Trump still has a lead in Iowa and while Clinton's numbers in Ohio, Wisconsin and Florida are good, they're not great. A quick but heart-felt apology, along with some specifics about how he'll bring those blue-collar jobs back, will go a long way to helping him.

Bringing up Bill Clinton and old stuff won't, not from a guy who's on his third marriage.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,268

619 said:

Yeah. Economic issues are what brought Trump here and they work well in a town-hall setting. Trump still has a lead in Iowa and while Clinton's numbers in Ohio, Wisconsin and Florida are good, they're not great. A quick but heart-felt apology, along with some specifics about how he'll bring those blue-collar jobs back, will go a long way to helping him.

Bringing up Bill Clinton and old stuff won't, not from a guy who's on his third marriage.
    Clinton will successfully bate him into going on and on about all that.
  • Options

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Too far back for me, Mr. Evershed. I was engaged in much more physical occupations then. Purely out of interest what was the Manchester Atlas?
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

bool josiasJessop = false if (false == josiasJessop) { printf("You are MAD!"); }
    K&R/Hall braces placement! I feel that you may actually be programmer.

EtA: Stroustrup also used this syntax.
  • Options

I was asked to do an online training course a few months ago, as the company had paid for it. I chose Python and became a master.

Then my title was ripped from me: DJango was now required! I dumped the course (but miss Ms Sarah Buchannan)!!!

You've got to watch a Tarantino film to pass?
    That's harsh.

But tell us more about Sarah Buchannan...
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2016

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Too far back for me, Mr. Evershed. I was engaged in much more physical occupations then. Purely out of interest what was the Manchester Atlas?
    The high-performance Atlas computer was developed in the period 1956 – 1962 by a team led by Professor Tom Kilburn at the University of Manchester. The local company Ferranti Ltd. joined the project in 1959. The first production Atlas was inaugurated at Manchester University on 7th December 1962 by Sir John Cockcroft, the Nobel prize-winning physicist who was Director of the UK’s Atomic Energy Authority. At the time of its inauguration, Atlas was reckoned to be the world’s most powerful computer. A total of six Atlas 1 and Atlas 2 computers were delivered between 1962 and 1966.

See http://elearn.cs.man.ac.uk/~atlas/
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Calling. Mr,. Jessup a programmer! Crikey, heads down everyone!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,268
    nunu said:

Ishmael_X said:

Yeah and Labour is going to win a landslide based in his increased "mandate". Trouble for Trump tonight is he is now seen as a joke. People will vote for someone for president if they see them as incompetent but not if they are seen as a laughing stock, which Trump quickly is becoming (become even).
    Winning a primary is not winning a General election. Demographics, demographics, demographics. Trump has lost. There are not enough angry, white, middle aged ex-sales reps who hate women to win the Whitehouse.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

You've got to watch a Tarantino film to pass?
    That's harsh.

But tell us more about Sarah Buchannan...
    2 seconds on linked in gives you https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarahabuchanan
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Most of my racing programs (or scripts) are written in awk, with the rest in bash or perl.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    nunu said:

Anyone else notice how eastern European many white Americans look? Not so British isles. Didn't notice till the recent wave of immigration. Especially in the mid west/ north east.

Ethnic Germans are the largest percentage of the population of the US, but it does vary considerably by state:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408591/American-ethnicity-map-shows-melting-pot-ethnicities-make-USA-today.html

I don't know if "German" would include migrants from Prussian Poland or Slavic parts of Austro-Hungary.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2016

619 said:

"After being approached by the FBI, Broaddrick consulted her son, a lawyer, who told her she could not lie to federal investigators. After they promised her she would not be prosecuted for perjury regarding her affidavit in the Jones case, Broaddrick recanted the affidavit."

Yes she changed her story. Twice. Unless Paula Jones's lawyers simply asked every woman in american if Bill had raped them they must have heard her story from somewhere before they approached her and she submitted the first affidavit.
  • Options

619 said:

Not that it really matters now since we're WAY beyond a considered analysis of any verifiable evidence, but this part doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

'Broaddrick said she was neither a Democrat nor a Republican, but she supported the Donald Trump presidential campaign, 2016: "He says the things I like to hear."'

I suppose she could go down the line of 'the behaviour of rapey Bill Clinton made me believe in rapey Donald Trump'.
  • Options

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

The high-performance Atlas computer was developed in the period 1956 – 1962 by a team led by Professor Tom Kilburn at the University of Manchester. The local company Ferranti Ltd. joined the project in 1959. The first production Atlas was inaugurated at Manchester University on 7th December 1962 by Sir John Cockcroft, the Nobel prize-winning physicist who was Director of the UK’s Atomic Energy Authority. At the time of its inauguration, Atlas was reckoned to be the world’s most powerful computer. A total of six Atlas 1 and Atlas 2 computers were delivered between 1962 and 1966.

See http://elearn.cs.man.ac.uk/~atlas/
    Thanks for that. Interesting how the Atomic Energy Authority was so involved in computer development. Much later, early 1980s, I wrestled with the "Status" free text retrieval system also developed by the clever chaps at Harwell.
  • Options
    Incidentally the Trump tape will lead off the debate with Clinton answering first.

Not a good opening for Clinton - I am now reconsidering my long Clinton position. I may green up or zero my Donald pre-debate.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Incidentally the Trump tape will lead off the debate with Clinton answering first.

Not a good opening for Clinton - I am now reconsidering my long Clinton position. I may green up or zero my Donald pre-debate.

you dont think? Im sure she will have a good response. Open goal to tighten screws
  • Options
    Mickey Donovan still keeps the faith!

https://twitter.com/jonvoight/status/784896136037281792

I'm almost completely convinced that Jon Voight basically just played himself in that role.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

619 said:

Yes she changed her story. Twice. Unless Paula Jones's lawyers simply asked every woman in american if Bill had raped them they must have heard her story from somewhere before they approached her.
    Yes, she told friends about it at the time it happened in 1978 which is why there were rumours that people looking for dirt on Clinton much later on were able to pick up on. Her friends' accounts are consistent with what she says now.

Years later she just wanted to get on with her life and it was only when she had no choice because the FBI were involved that she told them the full story.
  • Options
    619 said:

Alistair said:

you dont think? Im sure she will have a good response. Open goal to tighten screws
    She'd be best saying something positive about the great strides made for equality etc, very apple pie stuff, with some reference to how she, herself, has been treated badly, lied to, etc. Then let Trump slither around in the gutter.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2016
    Thrak said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

She'd be best saying something positive about the great strides made for equality etc, very apple pie stuff, with some reference to how she, herself, has been treated badly, lied to, etc. Then let Trump slither around in the gutter.
    I am sure it will have been focus grouped within an inch of its life. Where as the Donald probably hasn't even prepped what he is going to say.
  • Options
    619 said:

Alistair said:

Trump will also have a good response and goes second. Trump can stay focused for a bit before he loses attention and start rambling.

If this was going to be asked half way through the debate then I'd say it was a Clinton home run. To open the debate with it is a lot dicier for Clinton.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Deutsche Post committed to Britain as it buys logistics company UK Mail.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-deutsche-post-interview-idUKKCN1290J7?il=0

• Options

619 said:

Yeah. That's the worst case and a fairly plausible one at that. A frantic, disheveled Trump chasing Clinton around the set, his hair tangled and matted with sweat, bellowing piteously after each little jab she gives him.

Still, you;d like to think that the folks advising know what they're doing and that he'll actually listen to them.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

If this was going to be asked half way through the debate then I'd say it was a Clinton home run. To open the debate with it is a lot dicier for Clinton.

Agreed. There's also a risk for Clinton that she thinks this is such a slam dunk for her that she will be caught off guard by some policy issue.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jason said:

The last thing Corbyn wants is a semi-competent front bencher which makes his position as leader look even more ridiculous. Abbott, Gardiner, Thornberry, etc, are a perfect foil for Corbyn. Benn, Starmer, etc , are not. The public will be once again thinking 'hhmm, how come HE'S not the leader?' Corbyn will not stand for it.

Very Gordon Brown
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Bah. Are you sure you're a programmer, Mr Thoughts? :)

After all, the really important thing in my code snippet isn't the braces; it's the fact I put the boolean literal before the variable within the conditional. That way, if I miss an = in the conditional and just put in (false = josiasJessop), the compiler will throw a wobbly!

I don't know how many bugs I've seen due to the programmer mixing up = and ==. Even if some (most?) modern compilers will throw a warning for it ...

Oh, and anyone I see using the conditional operator ? will be thrown out of the nearest window.
  • Options

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

Most of my racing programs (or scripts) are written in awk, with the rest in bash or perl.
    Gosh, someone does remember good old Awk. In the 1980s some, probably most, old government databases could only be searched by specific parameters, which were often not the parameters one needed to use in relation to certain events. However all government computers could produce an ASCII dump.

We used to use Awk to translate said dumps into a format that could be read by a search engine provided by a Scottish company which provided full boolean (including wildcard)search capability on any and every field. I did the first translation of the Police National Computer vehicle index into a fully searchable database. If memory serves it took about eighty cigarettes, a bottle of scotch and two kebabs to get the whole job done over one Friday night.

All very crude by todays standards, but that is all we had in those days.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @williamglenn

The statute of limitations for rape in Arkansas is 15 years, so there seems to have been no possibility of a court case by the late nineties:

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/arkansas-law/arkansas-criminal-statute-of-limitations-laws.html

Whaterver happened, it doesn't look as if there can ever be anything more than an accusation and a denial.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Oh, and anyone I see using the conditional operator ? will be thrown out of the nearest window.

Why? (Asking because I need a good argument to make someone stop it.)
  • Options

619 said:

Yeah. That's the worst case and a fairly plausible one at that. A frantic, disheveled Trump chasing Clinton around the set, his hair tangled and matted with sweat, bellowing piteously after each little jab she gives him.

Still, you;d like to think that the folks advising know what they're doing and that he'll actually listen to them.
    he hasnt yet
  • Options
    Alistair said:

619 said:

Alistair said:

Trump will also have a good response and goes second. Trump can stay focused for a bit before he loses attention and start rambling.

he might have a good response, or he could react to clinton too much when she mentions something he hadnt prepared for, ramble about that, and call Bill a rapist. 50/50
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/785146581301420032

Early voting for NC. A lot of minority and women early voting....
  • Options
    619 said:

Hmm not a lot of AA and doesn't look like a surge if Hispanic voters.
  • Options

FYI, some feedback from a HRC fundraising my wife attended:

"It was clear that, while HC has a lot of support, not all of them are enthusiastic about her.

What was worrisome was that with 32 days to go (from that eve), the questions people were asking were very much along the lines of campaign strategy: How to appeal to the millenials, how to reach out to the white working class, how to reach the college students, etc. These were justified questions, but questions to which the answers should be clear much earlier in the campaign, I would have thought. If those who have been hanging on HC's every word are still unclear on this, wow, what this must mean to those voter groups she still wants to reach.

A lot of the mantra and discourse of the evening was around gender and the "importance of a woman as President". While it was interesting and there were real HC lovers there in the majority, it felt very much like hard-core Democrats who would have been there no matter who the candidate."
  • Options
    nunu said:

619 said:

Hmm not a lot of AA and doesn't look like a surge if Hispanic voters.
    The comparisons with 2012 that look interesting. Democrats and independents up with registered Republicans down.
This discussion has been closed.