Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember when devaluations of the pound were a big politica

Comments

• foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    PlatoSaid said:

Cameron Yarde Jnr
    Britain will be fastest growing G7 economy this year, says IMF

While we are still in the EU and single market...
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Cameron Yarde Jnr

https://t.co/wn7g41wYFe

Feel that butt hurt

Also, the fastest sliding economy. Growth projected at 1.1% which would be even worse in 2018.
    So which would you prefer to be: Going from 2.x% growth this year to 1.1% next, or going from -0.5 % this year to 0.0% next?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    edited October 2016

I for one am loving all the Leavers telling themselves this morning that the pound in their pockets or purses or banks have not been devalued.

Since, like 99% of the population, I've suffered no adverse consequences, I'll lose no sleep over it, any more than I lost sleep in Autumn 1992.

If I'd lost a lot of money betting on foreign currency movements, I might feel differently.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    geoffw said:

JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

Never were Grammar Schools in Scotland but I did go to the one probably nearest in Berwick on Tweed

Ummm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paisley_Grammar_School

Andrew Neil most prominent Alum right now
    I was going to be pedantic and point this out ( I think there are about a dozen 'Grammar Schools' in Scotland) but they are non-selective so I thought I'd let it past.

The other major difference between Scotland and England of course is the lack of fee paying schools.
    You being funny?
    I was with two friends when one of them, who had gone to Fettes, told the other: "Fettes is the Eton of the North." The other (an OE) said: "No, Eton is the Eton of the North."

Oh how we laughed.
  • PlatoSaid said:

Cameron Yarde Jnr
    https://t.co/wn7g41wYFe
    Feel that butt hurt

We have facts from this and ONS stating that we are growing well and then "beliefs" from the CBI and Govt people saying that it is all uncertain and there may be bumps ahead. It is very bizarre, almost surreal. A group of so called experts that keep wanting to ignore the evidence and instead return to their guesstimates.

Not at all helped by having as the Chancellor Hammond who is still spouting the Treasury line that Brexit was a mistake and we are have a rocky time ahead..... No wonder the £ dips again with such doom mongering.
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    IanB2 said:

The biggest problem the government faces is to explain why its economic policy over the past six years has been to reduce the deficit but suddenly, now, the immense challenges we face from Brexit make this unnecessary.

The objective to reduce the deficit is still important and necessary but the uncertainties surrounding Brexit and its implementation mean that the future of the economy will be difficult to forecast and therefore flexibility is necessary.

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2016
    I need to go out so final post but an analogy for inflation is a fridge. I have my fridge set to 2 degrees celsius, that is a perfect temperature for maintaining fresh food and meats to stay fresh.

If the fridge breaks and goes high then that is a bad thing. If the temperature starts reaching double digits or higher then food is going to spoil and you risk food poisoning. Even in the higher single digits you risk food spoiling. Fridges breaking normally results in temperature rising so we all know that risk well and want to avoid it.

However that doesn't mean going lower is a good thing either. As we approach zero degrees or below there is a risk of your produce getting frost bitten and spoiling for a different reason.

If the temperature is too low then getting it back up to target is a good thing. The same is the case with inflation. Doesn't mean we want to raise it above target though.
    perdix said:

IanB2 said:

The biggest problem the government faces is to explain why its economic policy over the past six years has been to reduce the deficit but suddenly, now, the immense challenges we face from Brexit make this unnecessary.

The objective to reduce the deficit is still important and necessary but the uncertainties surrounding Brexit and its implementation mean that the future of the economy will be difficult to forecast and therefore flexibility is necessary.

Blaming the uncertainty and potential turmoil of Brexit, and the EU for a u-turn in economic policy sits very comfortably with our brave new world of not being able to blame anyone but ourselves for our economic destiny.

Um...
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    Yesterday babies, today fridges, I wonder what tomorrow's analogy will use!
    edited October 2016
    MaxPB said:

Yesterday babies, today fridges, I wonder what tomorrow's analogy will use!

If it doesn't get past @kle4 then we will sadly not be able to use it.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited October 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Cameron Yarde Jnr

We were supposed to be in recession this year for simply having voted to leave, long before negotiations finished.

And people wonder why the 'experts' aren't taken seriously anymore...
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

"She’s very much assisted by the mediocre opposition that she faces from the LAB front bench which is one of the worst I have seen. "

I'm only 33, but when has there been worse?

IDS. Had say Ken Clarke or the vomit from a drunk been Leader of the Opposition in the run up to the Iraq war we might have avoided the greatest foreign policy and military disaster in this country's history.
    Iraq the greatest military disaster in the UK's history? Give over, Mr. Eagles, we have done a lot worse in the past.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    TOPPING said:

geoffw said:

JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

Never were Grammar Schools in Scotland but I did go to the one probably nearest in Berwick on Tweed

Ummm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paisley_Grammar_School

Andrew Neil most prominent Alum right now
    I was going to be pedantic and point this out ( I think there are about a dozen 'Grammar Schools' in Scotland) but they are non-selective so I thought I'd let it past.

The other major difference between Scotland and England of course is the lack of fee paying schools.
    You being funny?
    I was with two friends when one of them, who had gone to Fettes, told the other: "Fettes is the Eton of the North." The other (an OE) said: "No, Eton is the Eton of the North."

Oh how we laughed.
    In Edinburgh where there are no "grammar schools" there are instead fee-paying merchant schools, and that's before you get on to full-on public schools like Fettes and Loretto. Per capita, fee-paying must be higher here than anywhere else in the UK.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572

I need to go out so final post but an analogy for inflation is a fridge. I have my fridge set to 2 degrees celsius, that is a perfect temperature for maintaining fresh food and meats to stay fresh.

If the fridge breaks and goes high then that is a bad thing. If the temperature starts reaching double digits or higher then food is going to spoil and you risk food poisoning. Even in the higher single digits you risk food spoiling. Fridges breaking normally results in temperature rising so we all know that risk well and want to avoid it.

However that doesn't mean going lower is a good thing either. As we approach zero degrees or below there is a risk of your produce getting frost bitten and spoiling for a different reason.

If the temperature is too low then getting it back up to target is a good thing. The same is the case with inflation. Doesn't mean we want to raise it above target though.

But it depends entirely on why your fridge is suddenly getting warmer,
    Look on the bright side, Brexit is probably three years away minimum and five years maximum. What fun we are all going to have debating the same potential implications for the next 1095 to 1825 days.....!

PlatoSaid said:

Cameron Yarde Jnr

We were supposed to be in recession this year for simply having voted to leave, long before negotiations finished.

If you take the trouble to go back and see what the 'experts' actually said and wrote, as distinct from how the campaigning politicians chose to 'spin' their commentary, you will see that actually, so far, the experts have done pretty well. Which is not reassuring, given some of their longer term predictions.
    edited October 2016
    IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Cameron Yarde Jnr

If you take the trouble to go back and see what the 'experts' actually said and wrote, as distinct from how the campaigning politicians chose to 'spin' their commentary, you will see that actually, so far, the experts have done pretty well. Which is not reassuring, given some of their longer term predictions.
    I have taken the trouble thanks. That's a wonderful way of trying to deflect from the point with zero actual evidence presented for what you are saying. Sadly for you the scaremongering is all there in black and white. It was only a few months ago, I think we can all remember what was said.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hm-treasury-analysis-the-immediate-economic-impact-of-leaving-the-eu

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/18/imf-says-brexit-would-trigger-uk-recession-eu-referendum

Etc etc
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Trump donated 10x the legal limit to Charlie Crist's 2006 campaign by going thru 9 different companies on same day! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-donations-charlie-crist_us_57f2e982e4b0703f75909bb3
  • Andrew Neil ✔ @afneil
    Most significant IMF forecast nothing to do with Brexit: downgrades US 2016 growth by 0.6 percentage points to 1.6%.
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    IanB2 said:

FPT.

IanB2 said:

@Richard_Nabavi Either it was advisory or it was not.

Indeed.

And it wasn't.
    But it was
    "This is a simple, but vital, piece of legislation. It has one clear purpose: to deliver on our promise to give the British people the final say on our EU membership in an in/out referendum by the end of 2017. "
    Can you provide the line in the act authorizing the referendum that says it was legally binding?
    Can you provide the line that says that it wasn't?
    This is a pointless discussion; if you look at the Act you can see that it is advisory; the government said it was advisory when it proposed it (but also promised to implement the result), and simple logic can establish that it is advisory. What's the point in arguing about it?
    Yes it is; no you can't; no it didn't; and no it can't.

Apart from that, you're doing OK.
  • IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    IanB2 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Cameron Yarde Jnr

I was under the impression that Remain politicians only told the gospel truth without fear or favour and it was those nasty Leave politicians that lied, twisted and squirmed...
    nunu said:

Trump donated 10x the legal limit to Charlie Crist's 2006 campaign by going thru 9 different companies on same day! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-donations-charlie-crist_us_57f2e982e4b0703f75909bb3

Hardly a revelation, most US politicians do the same, that's what political action committees are for!
    TonyE said:

FPT.

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

And it wasn't.
    But it was
    "This is a simple, but vital, piece of legislation. It has one clear purpose: to deliver on our promise to give the British people the final say on our EU membership in an in/out referendum by the end of 2017. "
    Can you provide the line in the act authorizing the referendum that says it was legally binding?
    I have just re read the act provisions. There is no line which says it is legally binding. It does not need to have any line to verify that it is NOT legally binding as no referendum is unless specific provision is made for it to be so in its enabling act.
    That's a matter of opinion.

"This is a simple, but vital, piece of legislation. It has one clear purpose: to deliver on our promise to give the British people the final say on our EU membership in an in/out referendum by the end of 2017."

That is what Parliament was told - the very first two sentences of the second reading debate - and Parliament did not act to amend the Bill to require a further vote before the government could invoke A50.
  • Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    nunu said:

From that page:

"CORRECTION: This article has been updated to reflect Florida’s expansive definition of an individual campaign donor, which can include an individual and that person’s businesses, so Trump’s contributions may have conformed to the law. An earlier version suggested the contributions may have exceeded the legal limit."
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    What polling evidence is there to support this theory that People do not seem to have noticed???..Anyone holidaying post BREXIT WIill have and there a whole pile of doo doo coming down the line with imports costing more.

TonyE said:

FPT.

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

And it wasn't.
    But it was
    I have just re read the act provisions. There is no line which says it is legally binding. It does not need to have any line to verify that it is NOT legally binding as no referendum is unless specific provision is made for it to be so in its enabling act.

"This is a simple, but vital, piece of legislation. It has one clear purpose: to deliver on our promise to give the British people the final say on our EU membership in an in/out referendum by the end of 2017."

That is what Parliament was told - the very first two sentences of the second reading debate - and Parliament did not act to amend the Bill to require a further vote before the government could invoke A50.
    Quit this nonsense. The referendum was advisory. But the government promised to implement the outcome. End of.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    The question of whether the referendum was advisory or not is ultmately irrelevant.

What matters now is what is good for the country. Whilst I was not ultimately convinced by the case for Brexit, the Brexit side won. The main uncertainty, for the country, our neighbours abroad, and the market, is priced in.

Having yet more uncertainty in the form of a vote in the Commons and going "actually, we've changed out mind, perhaps," seems insanity. No-one will know where they stand, and many, many people will be unhappy.

Personally, I would like to see a debate in the Commons, but no vote. Allow MPs to have their say, but have them admit that the will of the people is preeminent.

But aside from that: the people have voted. We must make the best of it. We cannot afford to go over the old ground again.

The question of whether the referendum was advisory or not is ultmately irrelevant.

What matters now is what is good for the country. Whilst I was not ultimately convinced by the case for Brexit, the Brexit side won. The main uncertainty, for the country, our neighbours abroad, and the market, is priced in.

Having yet more uncertainty in the form of a vote in the Commons and going "actually, we've changed out mind, perhaps," seems insanity. No-one will know where they stand, and many, many people will be unhappy.

Personally, I would like to see a debate in the Commons, but no vote. Allow MPs to have their say, but have them admit that the will of the people is preeminent.

But aside from that: the people have voted. We must make the best of it. We cannot afford to go over the old ground again.

Hear hear!

What polling evidence is there to support this theory that People do not seem to have noticed???..Anyone holidaying post BREXIT WIill have and there a whole pile of doo doo coming down the line with imports costing more.

There doesn't seem to have been much public outcry about the price of overseas holidays or G & T's that I can see.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    Off topic - I'm off to a Labour branch meeting this evening - first since Jezelection 2. I wonder if they'll sit the Momentum lot on one side of the room, and the rest of us on the other?

It will probably just be one big anticlimax, with an evening spent discussing raffles and pie & pea suppers.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    malcolmg said:

Further proof Ruth Davidson is an absolute legend, who cares about the futures of ALL children, not just a select few.

Ruth Davidson opposes new grammar schools in Scotland

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/03/ruth-davidson-opposes-new-grammar-schools-in-scotland/

Yes there were
    There are about 20 out of around 400 secondary schools.

Scottish Education used to be some of the best in the UK - but its fallen behind rUK on both Labour & the SNP's watch....but Scottish experience with Grammar Schools is very different to England's.

Its a devolved matter in any case, so improving Scottish education standards is a question for Holyrood, not Westminster.
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    barbara bush calling trump a sexist

The way he crushed Jeb , she's hardly a disinterested spectator.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    On topic, I think Brexit has spooked FX traders. The fall in the value of Sterling is not just due to environmental or random factors. The panic hasn't however fed through to the "real" economy.

Forecasters before Brexit didn't take account of higher margins on exported goods when the sales price increases in deflated pounds while input price inflation hasn't fed through yet to the bottom line. In a deflationary environment a couple percentage points of inflation due to the fall in the pound is nothing to worry about. In fact they can probably push some of the Brexit costs onto workers in the form of deflated real wages. It's all benign at the moment.

On the previous topic, polls show that the utterly reliable bellwether state of Ohio won't get it right for the first time in a presidential election since before World War II. Ohio will elect Trump while the USA will elect Clinton. Is there a mistake in one or other of those polls? Should we go with the bellwether?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216

Amen to that.....
  • Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Sean_F said:

There doesn't seem to have been much public outcry about the price of overseas holidays or G & T's that I can see.
    All good gin is distilled in the UK from uk grain, and tonic water is mainly water. Why is the price of G & T's sensitive to currency movements? I suppose there's the lemons...

There should be no doubt that A50 will be invoked, but Parliament should approve the date, and make comment on the desireability of hard vs soft Brexit.

Incidentally, will importing all Euro-Law onto our books include in corporating A50 into British law? and therefore making it the HoC business?
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Sean_F said:

Indeed and probably not as much evidence as the evidence for racism within ukip.. we will await the polls
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574

There should be no doubt that A50 will be invoked, but Parliament should approve the date, and make comment on the desireability of hard vs soft Brexit.

Incidentally, will importing all Euro-Law onto our books include in corporating A50 into British law? and therefore making it the HoC business?
    I think it would be moot as the transfer will happen on the day we leave.
    Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

All good gin is distilled in the UK from uk grain, and tonic water is mainly water. Why is the price of G & T's sensitive to currency movements? I suppose there's the lemons...
    Yes, that struck me as strange too. Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire as well as various lesser brands are produced in this country.

@Casino_Royale As you read through this thread, you can feel Britain shrinking: shrinking in economy size relative to its competitors, shrinking in influence, shrinking in its horizons.

No, that's just your small, small mind.
    nunu said:

Oh dear...

"CORRECTION: This article has been updated to reflect Florida’s expansive definition of an individual campaign donor, which can include an individual and that person’s businesses, so Trump’s contributions may have conformed to the law. An earlier version suggested the contributions may have exceeded the legal limit."
    Clinton leading by 6 now in new N.Carolina poll.

https://www.elon.edu/E/elon-poll/poll-archive/100416.html

@Casino_Royale As you read through this thread, you can feel Britain shrinking: shrinking in economy size relative to its competitors, shrinking in influence, shrinking in its horizons.

Surely our horizons are growing, as we are turning away from the EU towards all the other countries in the world?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

Distillation is an energy intensive process - hydrocarbon fuel prices in USD.
    Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

There are some lovely Spanish gins, and I am also a fan of Old Genever from the low countries. Malawi gin is very drinkeable too, I always bring a bottle or two back when I visit.

Put simply: what good would come of it?

The war's over. All it would do is cause yet more chaos and trouble. The best that would come of it, is if it went to the vote and the government won, in which case nothing has been gained. The worst is that no-one: the government, our neighbours, or ourselves, would know where we stand.

Sean_F said:

Indeed and probably not as much evidence as the evidence for racism within ukip.. we will await the polls
    Ian Birrell reckons this Conservative conference is indistinguishable from UKIP's.
    edited October 2016
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, that struck me as strange too. Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire as well as various lesser brands are produced in this country.
    Monkey 47 is supposed to be the ne plus ultra of gins. I tried it in Paris. They served it neat in a carafe, with separate bowls of lemon and ice.

Nice enough.

Edit: no idea where it comes from. Google would reveal, I suppose.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/04/imf-peak-pessimism-brexit-eu-referendum-european-union-international-monetary-fund

Even the Guardian is calling out the IMF's garbage Brexit predictions.

Predictions referenced and retweeted endlessly by Remainers in the run up to the vote.

The war's over. All it would do is cause yet more chaos and trouble. The best that would come of it, is if it went to the vote and the government won, in which case nothing has been gained. The worst is that no-one: the government, our neighbours, or ourselves, would know where we stand.
    I am not wanting A50 stopped (indeed I would like it invoked sooner), simply wanting the executive arm of government the servant of the legislature rather than its master.

In time a different party will be in power, and precedent for such decisions would matter. Should PM Corbyn be allowed to scrap our nuclear weapons without debate in the commons for example?
  • Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Ian Birrell reckons this Conservative conference is indistinguishable from UKIP's.
    Both the Tories and UKIP have female leaders.

The "progressive" Labour and LibDems do not...
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

Monkey 47 is supposed to be the ne plus ultra of gins. I tried it in Paris. They served it neat in a carafe, with separate bowls of lemon and ice.

Nice enough.

What's wrong with a good Plymouth gin?
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

Nice enough.

The Black Forest. So 12% more expensive ;-)
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    IanB2 said:

TonyE said:

FPT.

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

And it wasn't.
    But it was

Quit this nonsense. The referendum was advisory. But the government promised to implement the outcome. End of.
    The Government did so promise.But did Parliament?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    edited October 2016
    RobD said:

Surely our horizons are growing, as we are turning away from the EU towards all the other countries in the world?
    EU minus UK = 27 nation states*
    Non-EU = 166 nation states*

* "And by country, we mean a sovereign state that is a member of the UN in its own right"
    - R. Osman
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    RobD said:

I don't think our horizons are really changing.
    The referendum hasn't changed who we are. It's just shown that there is a vast nation beyond North London and South Manchester for whom the price of prosecco and prosciutto at the market in their favourite Tuscan village isn't really a factor in their lives. Most of us spend all of our lives in Britain, with the possible occasional exception, if we're feeling particularly flush, of a week or two somewhere else in the summer where normal rules don't apply and everything is expected to be eye-wateringly expensive anyway. Because abroad. And this is certainly not an issue in October.
    That's not to say the value of the pound doesn't have economic consequences. It's just for most people, those consequences are fairly abstract.

I am not wanting A50 stopped (indeed I would like it invoked sooner), simply wanting the executive arm of government the servant of the legislature rather than its master.

In time a different party will be in power, and precedent for such decisions would matter. Should PM Corbyn be allowed to scrap our nuclear weapons without debate in the commons for example?
    Is that even possible to do under the prerogative?
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,559

I'd have thought that was the best for the Government. If they bring their proposed Article 50 declaration for approval by parliament, then the negotiating team go to Brussels with the strength of parliament behind them, and unless it's opposed by all non-Tories, with some conviction that it would survive a change of Government. It also shields the Tories from some of the blame if the negotiations go badly wrong, which is possible to say the least.

Whether the actual decision to invoke A50 is approved by parliament doesn't matter so much as the text of the initial "press release" declaration - I'm surprised the Government aren't trying to bind parliament in as support.
    RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

oh it's legal thats fine then..............

Again, I ask what good would come of your proposal?

If a Corbyn government held a referendum on our nuclear deterrent, and he won, then he would have a solid basis on which to scrap it. To get to that stage, he would have to have enough of a majority in the Commons (and to a lesser extent Lords) to get the referendum bill through. After that, he would have to win the argument.

If he decided not to scrap them after that, he would have to answer to his supporters why he's gone against their will, and to everyone else why he's just wasted the vast cost of a referendum.

But it's a false analogy, as "should we scrap the nuclear deterrent" is a much simpler question than the one we had on the EU, where the lamentable state of the campaigns meant no-one knew what it meant.

As I've said, I would prefer a debate but no vote. But most of all I want certainty.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    edited October 2016
    Dromedary said:

For all our talk on here, the Torygraph seems to have forgotten the basics of how the British state works when they say that "Theresa May will repeal the 1972 European Communities Act". She can't do any such thing.

Neither Theresa May nor the government have the authority to trigger Article 50 either. Why? Because doing so would reverse a decision by Parliament, which can only be done by Parliament. Only Parliament can give them that authority. Even if the leader of this pearls-and-hairstyle cackheap of a government, with its clown as a Foreign Secretary - a government which probably won't last long - did send in an Article 50 letter, the Supreme Court would declare that her act of doing so was unlawful. And that, dear Leavers, is what counts. The Commission would have to swallow that and rip the letter up.

Life on the backbenches giving you more time, eh George?

Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

There are some lovely Spanish gins, and I am also a fan of Old Genever from the low countries. Malawi gin is very drinkeable too, I always bring a bottle or two back when I visit.

For some reason people here feel that Beefeater is the best, personally I think it tastes like denture cleaner and that any self respecting Englishman abroad should be drinking Gordon's London Gin with Schweppes Indian Tonic Water not that there usually a lot of choice. The first time I came here twenty years ago Tonic water (of any brand) was like gold dust and Expats hoarded it for special occasions. If it wasn't a high day or holidays you tended to be offered "Gin & Royal", where Royal True Orange is the local branding of Tango Orange. A little bit odd, but after the first couple it goes down much the same ;) Thankfully the range is a bit more cosmopolitan these days.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    The exchange rate is hurting me (he says as he heads off to Switzerland on the third tedious work trip in as many weeks).

I reckon most of the stock in the shops today was imported over the summer. The price rises should begin to come into effect from Xmas.
  • JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

The support Trump gets on this forum from ostensibly sensible posters is beyond reason. Even many on his own side consider him one of the worst presidential candidates for generations, and the guy is demonstrably a straight-up racist.

Only from the PB Trumpers.

Only on PB.
    justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

TonyE said:

FPT.

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

And it wasn't.
    But it was

Parliament doesn't implement things, it legislates ;)
    nunu said:

Clinton leading by 6 now in new N.Carolina poll.

https://www.elon.edu/E/elon-poll/poll-archive/100416.html

Plato will be on shortly to show you that Trump is ahead in South Carolina.
    Jobabob said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

The support Trump gets on this forum from ostensibly sensible posters is beyond reason. Even many on his own side consider him one of the worst presidential candidates for generations, and the guy is demonstrably a straight-up racist.

Only on PB.
    He only has support on PB? Wow, the readership must be larger than I first thought. :D
    FF43 said:

On topic, I think Brexit has spooked FX traders. The fall in the value of Sterling is not just due to environmental or random factors. The panic hasn't however fed through to the "real" economy.

Forecasters before Brexit didn't take account of higher margins on exported goods when the sales price increases in deflated pounds while input price inflation hasn't fed through yet to the bottom line. In a deflationary environment a couple percentage points of inflation due to the fall in the pound is nothing to worry about. In fact they can probably push some of the Brexit costs onto workers in the form of deflated real wages. It's all benign at the moment.

On the previous topic, polls show that the utterly reliable bellwether state of Ohio won't get it right for the first time in a presidential election since before World War II. Ohio will elect Trump while the USA will elect Clinton. Is there a mistake in one or other of those polls? Should we go with the bellwether?

DYOR

http://xkcd.com/1122/
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676

"She’s very much assisted by the mediocre opposition that she faces from the LAB front bench which is one of the worst I have seen. "

IDS. Had say Ken Clarke or the vomit from a drunk been Leader of the Opposition in the run up to the Iraq war we might have avoided the greatest foreign policy and military disaster in this country's history.
    Iraq the greatest military disaster in the UK's history? Give over, Mr. Eagles, we have done a lot worse in the past.
    WW1 was. Despite eventual victory. Should have stayed well out of it.
    RobD said:

The limits of the perogative are not well defined at present, hence the lack of clarity over whether it includes the right to invoke A50.

It was the English experience in the Civil War and Glorious Revolution that made the US founding fathers so keen on placing restraints on the Executive. (And the right to bear arms in self defence too)
    nunu said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

oh it's legal thats fine then..............
    The editors note made me chuckle

"Editor’s note: Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims — 1.6 billion members of an entire religion — from entering the U.S."
    edited October 2016
    Jonathan said:

The exchange rate is hurting me (he says as he heads off to Switzerland on the third tedious work trip in as many weeks).

I reckon most of the stock in the shops today was imported over the summer. The price rises should begin to come into effect from Xmas.

I was planning to go to the USA for a conference next year, but it is getting rather pricey, so I am getting cold feet.

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

Only on PB.
    He only has support on PB? Wow, the readership must be larger than I first thought. :D
    He clearly has support elsewhere, but the support he carries on here is downright weird, even by PB's standards.
    Cookie said:

RobD said:

I don't think our horizons are really changing.
    The referendum hasn't changed who we are. It's just shown that there is a vast nation beyond North London and South Manchester for whom the price of prosecco and prosciutto at the market in their favourite Tuscan village isn't really a factor in their lives. Most of us spend all of our lives in Britain, with the possible occasional exception, if we're feeling particularly flush, of a week or two somewhere else in the summer where normal rules don't apply and everything is expected to be eye-wateringly expensive anyway. Because abroad. And this is certainly not an issue in October.
    That's not to say the value of the pound doesn't have economic consequences. It's just for most people, those consequences are fairly abstract.
    I made this point a year or two ago, and got shouted at by Europhobes and Europhiles alike!

A small percentage of people travel the world extensively, and think nothing of picking up the case packed by their door and jetting off. These people are, I think, over-represented on PB.

A much larger percentage travel abroad on holiday, whether to Europe or further. But this is a much less common occurrence.

A large percentage of people rarely travel abroad, and I reckon 10% or so could not afford a holiday in the UK, yet alone a foreign one.

To many people, Europe is a foreign world.
    Indigo said:

Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

For some reason people here feel that Beefeater is the best, personally I think it tastes like denture cleaner and that any self respecting Englishman abroad should be drinking Gordon's London Gin with Schweppes Indian Tonic Water not that there usually a lot of choice. The first time I came here twenty years ago Tonic water (of any brand) was like gold dust and Expats hoarded it for special occasions. If it wasn't a high day or holidays you tended to be offered "Gin & Royal", where Royal True Orange is the local branding of Tango Orange. A little bit odd, but after the first couple it goes down much the same ;) Thankfully the range is a bit more cosmopolitan these days.
    I was introduced to tonic syrup by my brother – Jack Rudy is the brand I think. You mix it with gin and sparkling water.

As a lifelong Schweppes man, I'm converted. You don't need much of it and it tastes great.
    Jobabob said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

Only on PB.
    In 1996 the American people were said to have been offered the choice between a "sleazebag and a corpse" and chose the sleazebag, this time they have a choice between a boorish racist and a corrupt national security risk, interesting times.
    edited October 2016
    I voted Leave and have no regrets about that. I recall, however, making the point myself a few months before the Referendum that whilst I would expect Parliament to accept the verdict of the people in democratic terms, there would be no obligation on it to approve a particular deal negotiated by the Government. At that point we might find a significant number of Tory remainers seeking to block any package - and to be able to justify so doing on the basis that the electorate had not approved it.
    edited October 2016

RobD said:

The limits of the perogative are not well defined at present, hence the lack of clarity over whether it includes the right to invoke A50.

It was the English experience in the Civil War and Glorious Revolution that made the US founding fathers so keen on placing restraints on the Executive. (And the right to bear arms in self defence too)
    Some background reading on it:

http://www.peerage.org/genealogy/royal-prerogative.pdf

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was not well defined as it has been studied and tested in the courts for a while now. This article 50 case will be the latest court case on the matter.
    Indigo said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

Only on PB.
    In 1996 the American people were said to have been offered the choice between a "sleazebag and a corpse" and chose the sleazebag, this time they have a choice between a boorish racist and a corrupt national security risk, interesting times.
    Hillary is corrupt? On what evidence?
    Indigo said:

justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

TonyE said:

FPT.

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

And it wasn't.
    But it was

It can also pass motions disapproving of a Government's actions
    Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

Only on PB.
    He clearly has support elsewhere, but the support he carries on here is downright weird, even by PB's standards.
    PB would be a boring place if we agreed on everything
    Jobabob said:

Indigo said:

Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

I was introduced to tonic syrup by my brother – Jack Rudy is the brand I think. You mix it with gin and sparkling water.

As a lifelong Schweppes man, I'm converted. You don't need much of it and it tastes great.
    Oo that looks interesting. I am back in the UK in a couple of months or so for a few weeks, will add it to my shopping list.

http://jackrudycocktailco.com/purchase/mixers/small-batch-tonic/
  • The question of whether the referendum was advisory or not is ultmately irrelevant.

Bad example. Whether to use the weapons or not is a matter for the executive. So he can say we won't use them and that is his decision and his alone not a matter for Parliament. That is the difference between legislation and execution.
    RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

Only on PB.
    Indeed so – the PB consensus that Trump is the best candidate is, as you say, somewhat dull.
    ''Hillary is corrupt? On what evidence?''

Trump is a racist? On what evidence?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    RobD said:

This irritates me. All the other countries of the world were there when we were members of the EU, Those horizons haven't changed one bit. We are just turning away from the EU. Period. Maybe we can't stand them. Maybe we actually like them but think we should stand on our own feet. Fair enough! Nevertheless Brexit is a disconnection. It's us turning inwards somewhat. That's where the tyre hits the road.
    RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

Only on PB.
    There was a moment a few years ago where a thread had a dangerous amount of agreement in it, but fortunately someone came along and stopped that ...
    Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

Only on PB.
    Indeed so – the PB consensus that Trump is the best candidate is, as you say, somewhat dull.
    Clearly that is not the PB consensus!
    Jobabob said:

Indigo said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

Only on PB.
    Hillary is corrupt? On what evidence?
    Clinton Foundation/Pay to Play?
    Indigo said:

Jobabob said:

Indigo said:

Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

Oo that looks interesting. I am back in the UK in a couple of months or so for a few weeks, will add it to my shopping list.

http://jackrudycocktailco.com/purchase/mixers/small-batch-tonic/
    Good luck! I think it may in fact work out cheaper than the bar cans of SITW (I only buy the small bar cans because big bottles lose their fizz). The trick is to buy supermarket own-brand sparkling mineral water in the small bottles, Sainsbury's and Waitrose both do a very cost effective line, and mix with those...

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

nunu said:

Oh dear...

Only on PB.
    There was a moment a few years ago where a thread had a dangerous amount of agreement in it, but fortunately someone came along and stopped that ...
    Were we all asking TSE for an AV thread? :D
    Indigo said:

Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

My favourite remains Bombay Blue Sapphire from the freezer, full fat Fevertree from the fridge..no ice, no lemon.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

This irritates me. All the other countries of the world were there when we were members of the EU, Those horizons haven't changed one bit. We are just turning away from the EU. Period. Maybe we can't stand them. Maybe we actually like them but think we should stand on our own feet. Fair enough! Nevertheless Brexit is a disconnection. It's us turning inwards somewhat. That's where the tyre hits the road.
    They were there, but we were locked into our trading arrangement with the EU.
    taffys said:

''Hillary is corrupt? On what evidence?''

Trump is a racist? On what evidence?

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/article/2016/jun/08/donald-trumps-racial-comments-about-judge-trump-un/

WW1 was. Despite eventual victory. Should have stayed well out of it.
    Certainly the peace was a disaster.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    RobD said:

I think there is a lot of muddle here between what parliament can do and what it should do.
    Basically, our constitution is built on precedent, and there is precious little precedent on how to treat the result of a referendum, particularly when the result conflicts with the view of parliament (I think most, or all, or our previous referenda have confirmed what parliament would have wanted to do anyway).
    There is also a lot of constitutional ambiguity of where sovereignty lies. Theoretically, it lies with the sovereign, which, I suppose, is justified on the grounds that the sovereign embodies the nation, rather than because that one individual should make the decisions - but in reality, there would be some pretty explosive consequences if te sovereign started doing her own thing against the advice of parliament. Similarly, though, parliament is only justified in advising the sovereign on the grounds that it represents - however imperfectly - the will of the people who elect it. You can argue that this is not technically the case, but I think it would be difficult to argue otherwise philosophically. Most of the time, any anomalies between what the people want and what parliament advises the sovereign can be glossed over on the grounds of implementing a manifesto as a whole, but when we get a situation such as a referendum - that the governing party promised in its manifesto to hold and to implement the results of - it makes it much harder, philosophically, to ignore.
    Whichever way you slice it, sovereignty in a constitutional monarchy flows ultimately from the people - whether through electing members to a sovereign parliament which advises the sovereign, or through the sovereign herself embodying the British state. To argue otherwise would put the state on pretty shaky grounds.
    I would argue that where there is a referendum, that has been held by the government, the results of the referendum should be what advises the sovereign. And I would argue that this should also be true in the case of a Corbyn government which had held and won a referendum on scrapping nuclear weapons. I'd also argue that this should be true where a Corbyn government had held and won a referendum on the abolition of the monarchy, although this gets in even more of a constitutional and philosophical tangle!

Basically, it's a complex issue, we're in uncharted waters, and no-one should get too self-righteous about it.
  • SeanT said:

MTimT said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

Nice enough.

What's wrong with a good Plymouth gin?
    I'm obsessed with gin. Plymouth Navy Strength is wonderfully flavoured, but a bit punchy, so I go for Plymouth Ordinary, or Sipsmith. They're best in a G&T

This is next on my list, apparently the best gin in the world

http://www.worldginawards.com/martin-miller-s-gin-westbourne-strength.25291.html

I've noticed on my travels that Latin/Hispanic countries are now obsessed with gin and tonic - from Lima to Malaga, Chile to the Algarve

Geentonic in great big quantities.

I hate gin, cannot stand the stuff. I had a terrible experience at the Lerida agricultural fair when I lived in Spain back in the late 1980s. You paid 200 pesetas to get in (£1) and then were able to sample as much of the produce on display as you wanted. This was at a time when San Miguel had a factory in the town and Estrella had one in Barcelona. Both had free bars based on the fact that the Spanish would have one beer and move on. Of course, they had not bargained for the small British and Irish ex-pat community in the town and we drank both bars dry. Having done so we wanted more and the only other bar functioning was run by Larios, who produce the domestic gin in Spain. So off we went to that and got pints of straight domestic gin with no ice. It went down and then a couple of hours later came back up again. The next day I had the second worse hangover of my life - and it was 40 degrees in the shade. Even now, just the smell of gin makes me nauseous. My stomach and my head will never forget.

• JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159
    justin124 said:

Indigo said:

justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

TonyE said:

FPT.

IanB2 said:

Indeed.

And it wasn't.
    But it was

It can also pass motions disapproving of a Government's actions
    A motion of the House of Commons does not change the law.
This discussion has been closed.