Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polls did far better at the EU referendum than is widel

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited September 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polls did far better at the EU referendum than is widely perceived

Just got back from holiday in the south of France and am focusing on the political session at a big betting conference that I am taking part in on Friday . Inevitably we will be looking back at what happened on June 23rd – the biggest political betting election ever.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bugger
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Who?
  • Options
    turns out the boundary changes see me lose St Bercow and instead we get Aylesbury's... who is that I wonder.... cue a pb geek.
  • Options
    "A final thought is that the polls that tended to be most highlighted were, for whatever reason, those with REMAIN leads. Maybe this impacts on our perceptions."

Highlighted by the author of this article, no less! ;-)

Good to see you back, Mike.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    ICM did an amazing job in the end, I wonder why the Guardian stopped getting the polls. *Innocent face*
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I've been saying this about the polling to a while now.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

turns out the boundary changes see me lose St Bercow and instead we get Aylesbury's... who is that I wonder.... cue a pb geek.

Do you live in Pitstone?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    edited September 2016
    Ipsos MORI, ORB, and Yougov would all have done better, had they not adjusted their final results in a Remain-friendly direction.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    MaxPB said:

ICM did an amazing job in the end, I wonder why the Guardian stopped getting the polls. *Innocent face*

Did we ever get to the bottom of why ICM stopped polling ten days out? As it happens their last poll was pretty much spot on!
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited September 2016
    "My view is that the scale of early voting by post is impacting on final surveys. Many of those being sampled on June 22nd would have actually cast their postal ballots three weeks earlier which increases the possibility of them not giving an accurate response. "

I'm struggling to believe this can really account for the inaccuracy of final polls; surely this wouldn't bias one particular way, but that is what is seen in the EU ref polls?
  • Options
    I became quite excited when first glimpsing tonight's thread - I imagined, silly me, that after almost 12 weeks we were about to see the results on the PB.com EU referendum competition.
  • Options

I became quite excited when first glimpsing tonight's thread - I imagined, silly me, that after almost 12 weeks we were about to see the results on the PB.com EU referendum competition.

:smile:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    edited September 2016
    Daily Mail reports the Camerons may be set to move to Manhattan after a British writer recently returned from the city was hosted at Chequers and Sam Cam was 'grilling the writer’s companion about life in Manhattan and where the best districts were to live.' She will focus on her fashion label while he writes his memoirs and joins the lecture circuit.

Cameron has also redrawn the guest list for his 50th birthday party next month, removing any former close friends who backed Leave and especially anyone who backed the Gove leadership bid. Steve Hilton may also not even get a mention in his memoirs as a punishment for his backing Brexit.

Finally, he is angry at the sacking of Osborne and 'he thinks the grammar schools decision is a complete disaster. He saw grammars as Eton writ small, and that stopping them helped ordinary people. Now, she is doing the opposite.’ His concerns over the direction May was taking clearly influenced his decision to stand down as an MP too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3786217/He-s-angry-vengeful-broken-loss-power-stop-New-York-Dave-Samantha.html#ixzz4KABtt9ZD
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Current MP is David Lidington, former Europe Minister (2010-16) and now promoted to Cabinet as Leader of the House.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Do you live in Pitstone?
    ish...

poawas..gooners losing in 1 minute
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,234
    FPT: @HurstLlama:-

"But, but, but Herself always gives me lists of things to do around the house and always has. Not only that when she come home she is quite capable of walking round on an inspection tour to make sure I have done all that I was instructed and that I have done it thoroughly. I might also say that aside from a couple of shortish periods when I have been seriously unwell, Herself has not picked up an iron or cleaned a floor in thirty-odd years (nor, I might say, has she cooked a Sunday lunch).

So, Mrs. Free, I reject your sexist stereotyping"

Well, I wish I were married to you! :)

However valid your anecdote all surveys show that women, even working women still have the bulk of the responsibility for household matters.

I rarely iron but that is because I largely avoid buying clothes which need ironing. My sons iron their own shirts.

But it's not just the doing which is the issue. It's thinking about what needs doing, the planning and thinking ahead, remembering that if something has run out or is about to, it needs replacing, ensuring that not only do clothes get put in the washing machine, they get taken out and not hours later when they smell like dog blankets, etc etc. Running a house takes planning and planning takes thinking. It doesn't happen by magic.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Current MP is David Lidington, former Europe Minister (2010-16) and now promoted to Cabinet as Leader of the House.
    Cheers old boy. Sounds ok to me - he's not a headbanger then. phew.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Alistair said:

I've been saying this about the polling to a while now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AQoI3SjmZta2KL1wMSHWrUozrFiXGfrqRq1U7fGhyAU/edit#gid=0

Leave took the lead around 21 days out
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Daily Mail reports the Camerons may be set to move to Manhattan after a British writer recently returned from the city was hosted at Chequers and Sam Cam was 'grilling the writer’s companion about life in Manhattan and where the best districts were to live.' She will focus on her fashion label while he writes his memoirs and joins the lecture circuit.

Cameron has also redrawn the guest list for his 50th birthday party next month, removing any former close friends who backed Leave and especially anyone who backed the Gove leadership bid. Steve Hilton may also not even get a mention in his memoirs as a punishment for his backing Brexit.

Finally, he is angry at the sacking of Osborne and 'he thinks the grammar schools decision is a complete disaster. He saw grammars as Eton writ small, and that stopping them helped ordinary people. Now, she is doing the opposite.’ His concerns over the direction May was taking clearly influenced his decision to stand down as an MP too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3786217/He-s-angry-vengeful-broken-loss-power-stop-New-York-Dave-Samantha.html#ixzz4KABtt9ZD

If true, that doesn't reflect well on him.

If you've benefitted from an Etonian education, it seems wrong to deny it to people who, if not poor, are still much further down the food chain than you are.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Sean_F said:

Ipsos MORI, ORB, and Yougov would all have done better, had they not adjusted their final results in a Remain-friendly direction.

In their defense the working-class and non-graduate turnout was unusual. They'd have had more egg on their faces if they'd chosen not to apply their standard adjustments and shown more Leave leads as a result only for Remain to edge it anyway.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

"But, but, but Herself always gives me lists of things to do around the house and always has. Not only that when she come home she is quite capable of walking round on an inspection tour to make sure I have done all that I was instructed and that I have done it thoroughly. I might also say that aside from a couple of shortish periods when I have been seriously unwell, Herself has not picked up an iron or cleaned a floor in thirty-odd years (nor, I might say, has she cooked a Sunday lunch).

However valid your anecdote all surveys show that women, even working women still have the bulk of the responsibility for household matters.

I rarely iron but that is because I largely avoid buying clothes which need ironing. My sons iron their own shirts.

But it's not just the doing which is the issue. It's thinking about what needs doing, the planning and thinking ahead, remembering that if something has run out or is about to, it needs replacing, ensuring that not only do clothes get put in the washing machine, they get taken out and not hours later when they smell like dog blankets, etc etc. Running a house takes planning and planning takes thinking. It doesn't happen by magic.

Most men I know (including me) do what their wives tell them.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130
    Cyclefree said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqQgDwA0BNU
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I believe ICM had an exclusivity deal with one of the Leave campaigns towards the end of the campaign.
  • Options

JohnO said:

He is very europhile.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

I wonder what the wives of the most men you know would say.........

Also, having to tell others to do something is tiresome. It would be nice if men realized that something needed doing and did it without being asked/told/ordered to do it.

• Options

JohnO said:

He'd well at home in a breakaway fiscally dry, socially liberal Tory Party not obsessed about gays, Europe, and immigration.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

If you've benefitted from an Etonian education, it seems wrong to deny it to people who, if not poor, are still much further down the food chain than you are.
    I find it bizarre - and rather sad - that someone would cut out a friend over something like the EU referendum. I have plenty of friends and family who have taken different views on this topic, both from me and each other. I regard it as irrelevant to whether we will be friends.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

In their defense the working-class and non-graduate turnout was unusual. They'd have had more egg on their faces if they'd chosen not to apply their standard adjustments and shown more Leave leads as a result only for Remain to edge it anyway.
    Yeah, it was binary choice, and by the last week, everyone knew it would a narrow win for either side. Pollsters didn't want to come down narrowly on the wrong side, so they adjusted accordingly.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,640
    edited September 2016
    I'm sorry to be late to the party, but I'm just catching up with the boundary review and seeing that Corbyn's notional seat has a huge Jewish population. Karma, eh?

Bit disappointed the BC didn't attempt to create a Stamford Hill and Golders Green seat specially for him, but top trolling.

In other news, my parents' village has moved back to the revived Littleborough and Saddleworth constituency, but the BC has it as notionally Labour? Never held by Lab in the past, was a LD/Tory marginal, stable affluent population, very little social housing. Come on the LD surge!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

I find it bizarre - and rather sad - that someone would cut out a friend over something like the EU referendum. I have plenty of friends and family who have taken different views on this topic, both from me and each other. I regard it as irrelevant to whether we will be friends.
    It's not about him backing Leave, it is the outright lies that Hilton came out with.

Hilton also pissed off a lot of a Tories pretty much taking the credit for all the good thing the Tories did between 2005 and 2012.

Mr Hilton once wasted government time trying to spend money on cloud busting technology to improve the UK's weather.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Also, having to tell others to do something is tiresome. It would be nice if men realized that something needed doing and did it without being asked/told/ordered to do it.

That's the very essence of serving royalty, anticipating their instructions, before they give them.

Joking aside, I'd lived a long time as a bachelor before marrying, so I'd already got into the habit of doing cooking/housework.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,432
    So we are abandoning the last minute swing excuse and moving onto, well they had already voted excuse. I take Mikes point that the traditional last poll is perhaps not a fair test when so many people vote 2 or 3 weeks in advance but the polling should surely pick this up. It should be a part of the adjustments to the final poll. To say that ICM did well because they stopped 10 days early is a cop out.

What caught the pollsters out this time was DNVs actually voting in quite large numbers. The assumptions, based on GE turnout distorted by safe seats where the can't be arsed stay at home were inaccurate as a result. There are lessons to be learned here (the most obvious for the establishment being referenda are seriously dangerous) but they won't be learned by saying if you look at the results with a bit of a squint they did OK.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Hi. Hope everyone on here is well.

Well said on this Mike.

The referendum was, in fact, one of the (many) cases in which polling was a far better guide than Vague Impressionistic Bollocks. The easiest way to call the referendum right was to see that the polls had it on a knife-edge whereas Betfair, er, didn't. By contrast the way to get it wrong was to focus on unquantifiable stuff and to form the belief that Remain would win just because.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

:smiley:

Public Policy Polling
    Our sample was 33% reporters and the media, 33% NYC homeless, 33% Chicago gangbangers, and 1% lizard people https://t.co/LCdZJahNct
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited September 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Ah, well, planning and thinking ahead about what needs to be done/bought; well, that is Herself's job. Not for any sexist reasons, you understand, it is just that when I have tried to anticipate I have usually ended up getting told off. Much better and safer to do what I am told.

As Mr. F upthread confirms, most husbands do as they are told. We find it easier and more harmonious that way. Also we can't get shouted at for forgetting something if we haven't been told to do it or buy it. "Was that on the list, darling?"
  • Options
    I'd be curious to see a thread on this basis looking at last three weeks of the 2015 General Election. My memory is that excluding YouGov there were many accurate polls prior to the vote just not the final ones. Eg ICM had one almost spot on from memory.

If it turns out premature polls are better predictors than final ones that could have huge implications for predicting and thus betting.
  • Options

I'm sorry to be late to the party, but I'm just catching up with the boundary review and seeing that Corbyn's notional seat has a huge Jewish population. Karma, eh?

Bit disappointed the BC didn't attempt to create a Stamford Hill and Golders Green seat specially for him, but top trolling.

In other news, my parents' village has moved back to the revived Littleborough and Saddleworth constituency, but the BC has it as notionally Labour? Never held by Lab in the past, was a LD/Tory marginal, stable affluent population, very little social housing. Come on the LD surge!

The huge Jewish community in Corbyn's prospective seat is undoubtedly the best and funniest thing about all of the boundary reviews. Maybe Chakrabati should canves scored him. I am sure that would prevent any misunderstanding.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    Little change to St Albans constituency. As the ward boundaries in Three Rivers have changed, we lose the old Bedmond ward but gain Abbots Langley and Bedmond plus Leavesden wards.

I think, based on local election results, that is a positive for the Lib Dems and certainly better than adding Sandridge would have been.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, am not sure I understand Cameron's logic in that comments which seems to be attacking both his old alma mater and grammar schools at the same time!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, am not sure I understand Cameron's logic in that comments which seems to be attacking both his old alma mater and grammar schools at the same time!
    He sees grammar and private schools as means of vesting upper and middle class privilege. He is right of course.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Well said on this Mike.

The referendum was, in fact, one of the (many) cases in which polling was a far better guide than Vague Impressionistic Bollocks. The easiest way to call the referendum right was to see that the polls had it on a knife-edge whereas Betfair, er, didn't. By contrast the way to get it wrong was to focus on unquantifiable stuff and to form the belief that Remain would win just because.

DavidL said:

So we are abandoning the last minute swing excuse and moving onto, well they had already voted excuse. I take Mikes point that the traditional last poll is perhaps not a fair test when so many people vote 2 or 3 weeks in advance but the polling should surely pick this up. It should be a part of the adjustments to the final poll. To say that ICM did well because they stopped 10 days early is a cop out.

What caught the pollsters out this time was DNVs actually voting in quite large numbers. The assumptions, based on GE turnout distorted by safe seats where the can't be arsed stay at home were inaccurate as a result. There are lessons to be learned here (the most obvious for the establishment being referenda are seriously dangerous) but they won't be learned by saying if you look at the results with a bit of a squint they did OK.

They got the trend right, which was relentlessly towards Leave, from Autumn 2015.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Well said on this Mike.

DavidL said:

They got the trend right, which was relentlessly towards Leave, from Autumn 2015.
    No they thought the trend was to remain which is why they had it ahead in 8 of the last 11 polls. They were wrong.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Even though we have entered the zone of selected amnesia about polling, my opinion has not changed.

British polls continue to be unreliable and unstable, because those conducting the polls have little faith in their own results, and have to constantly shift the numbers here and there until they conform to their own personal view.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Well said on this Mike.

DavidL said:

No they thought the trend was to remain which is why they had it ahead in 8 of the last 11 polls. They were wrong.
    I think there was a slight movement back to Remain in the last 10(ish) days, but not enough obviously.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

He sees grammar and private schools as means of vesting upper and middle class privilege. He is right of course.
    But, I think there's a huge difference between the privilege you enjoy at David Cameron's level, and the privilege you enjoy at junior management, skilled craftsman level, the latter being the sort of people whose children benefitted from Grammar schools (even if the latter are much more privileged than the poor).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Comprehensive schools in the wealthiest catchment areas of course arguably do that even more
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited September 2016
    "A final thought is that the polls that tended to be most highlighted were, for whatever reason, those with REMAIN leads. Maybe this impacts on our perceptions."

The problem was that people were insistent on the accuracy of telephone polls, whereas internet polls consistently do better at identifying 'taboo' opinion.

It's interesting that Corbyn is widely commentated upon as an absolute imbecile, which makes me wonder about the future scope for Shy Labour.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Even though we have entered the zone of selected amnesia about polling, my opinion has not changed.

British polls continue to be unreliable and unstable, because those conducting the polls have little faith in their own results, and have to constantly shift the numbers here and there until they conform to their own personal view.

Indeed, Survation had an eve of poll general election poll that was almost exactly right but did not publish. Had more pollsters focused only on those 10/10 certain to vote in EU ref they would also have been more accurate
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Cameron is the epitome of the public school Tory who opposes meritocracy through snobbishness and insecurity.

The man who lectured the country on "Brits don't quit" has now quit both his jobs and is perhaps going to quit his country as well.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Well said on this Mike.

DavidL said:

I think there was a slight movement back to Remain in the last 10(ish) days, but not enough obviously.
    I don't. I think that those wanting remain thought it was inconceivable that people would vote leave after Cox's death and that the pollsters deluded themselves into believing that too. On the 22nd I forecast 52:48 leave. I did so on the basis of the debate on here as much as anything. It seemed to me that the remain arguments had found no traction or persuasive power at all. No doubt I was lucky and the pollsters were just unlucky but anyone investing their hard earned on their say so needs their head examined.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

But you're not as petty and insecure as David Cameron.

Or as self-entitled.
  • Options

JohnO said:

He'd well at home in a breakaway fiscally dry, socially liberal Tory Party not obsessed about gays, Europe, and immigration.
    Hurrah!!!

Explains the UKIP shop in glamorous Halton then...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Comprehensive schools in the wealthiest catchment areas of course arguably do that even more
    That's his point yes. And he is right.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130
    chestnut said:

The problem was that people were insistent on the accuracy of telephone polls, whereas internet polls consistently do better at identifying 'taboo' opinion.

It's interesting that Corbyn is widely commentated upon as an absolute imbecile, which makes me wonder about the future scope for Shy Labour.

I think that's right, but with a proviso. Internet polls on the continent have persistently overstated support for insurgent parties: the FN, Syriza, Podemos, and the PVV all meaningfully undershot their Internet poll scores. Internet polls tend to overstate those political parties who's supporters are particularly motivated.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Well said on this Mike.

DavidL said:

I don't. I think that those wanting remain thought it was inconceivable that people would vote leave after Cox's death and that the pollsters deluded themselves into believing that too. On the 22nd I forecast 52:48 leave. I did so on the basis of the debate on here as much as anything. It seemed to me that the remain arguments had found no traction or persuasive power at all. No doubt I was lucky and the pollsters were just unlucky but anyone investing their hard earned on their say so needs their head examined.
    One interesting thing in retrospect was the number of 'voodoo' type polls showing strongly Leave in working class areas.

One thing I would like to see is the difference in turnout for each individual area between the general election and the referendum.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Or as self-entitled.
    I find it rather sad too, though I'm skeptical about whether the report is true or not. However unlike you or me, Cameron underwent a very personal defeat and lost what must have been his dream job over it in a humiliating fashion on the global scale - that will now forever define his place in history.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

I would be suspicious of any "news" from the Daily Wail.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

But, I think there's a huge difference between the privilege you enjoy at David Cameron's level, and the privilege you enjoy at junior management, skilled craftsman level, the latter being the sort of people whose children benefitted from Grammar schools (even if the latter are much more privileged than the poor).
    Oh absolutely. But grammar schools were the private schools the middle class could not afford. They dominated them because their children came from homes where books were read, where homework was important, where ambition was encouraged. In latter times they could also afford the necessary tutoring. People who point to the odd working class exception there with a scholarship to pay for his or her uniform are guilty of either wishful thinking or deliberate blindness. They were not a ladder for more than a handful of the poor, they were an escalator built for the middle classes. And going back to that simply will not improve social mobility.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Cameron is the epitome of the public school Tory who opposes meritocracy through snobbishness and insecurity.

The man who lectured the country on "Brits don't quit" has now quit both his jobs and is perhaps going to quit his country as well.
    I think that Cameron's concern for the poor is sincere and genuine. But, he overlooks those who are not poor, but not privileged, either.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    Sorry but this doesn't make sense Mike.

If the polling companies thought it was wise to include prior polls in their calculations they would do so. They don't provide poll results just to mix in the average, and then we'll see.

What you may be demonstrating is that the polling companies had all the evidence to predict the result but didn't.

How did everyone misinterpret the polls if your assertion is right?

We know that the final polls had a huge margin for error. Why should the polls ten days out not have that same margin of error?

Five substantially wrong guesses suggest a wrong view rather than a normal anomaly within statistical error.

• Options

JohnO said:

Fiscally dry is not the description of a government which borrowed hundreds of billions more than it said it would, introduced triple lock pensions, subsidised house prices and always spent money on its vanity projects.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Or as self-entitled.
    I find it rather sad too, though I'm skeptical about whether the report is true or not. However unlike you or me, Cameron underwent a very personal defeat and lost what must have been his dream job over it in a humiliating fashion on the global scale - that will now forever define his place in history.
    Arrogance destroyed him. He thought he could half-arse getting a deal with Brussels, look the British people in the eye and tell them it was great when we could all see it was nothing, slag off his own party, and still win the referendum.

Can't say my heart goes out to him.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Well said on this Mike.

DavidL said:

One interesting thing in retrospect was the number of 'voodoo' type polls showing strongly Leave in working class areas.

One thing I would like to see is the difference in turnout for each individual area between the general election and the referendum.
    Yes. My observations about differential turnout are based on my experience in Sindy and guesswork, not a statistical analysis.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    Do we really think early voters would have voted any differently on the day?
  • Options
    What no thread on GBBO? Isn't that the major news of the day?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Exactly....to the letter...every instruction....and there are many.

• Options
    So much - this!

Sahil Oberoi: No need to panic Arsenal fans, you still have 5 matches left to ensure that you get knocked out in the last 16.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    - If all postal votes were cast immediately (which isn't unusual, anyway) when the Leave lead was 4.6%
    - And one fifth (20%) of all votes were postal votes
    - And the average final poll was for a 3.36% Remain lead (51.68:48.32)
    - And the actual result was a 3.78% Leave win (51.89:48.11)

Then the error caused by the postal voting should account for slightly under a quarter of the total error.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Oh absolutely. But grammar schools were the private schools the middle class could not afford. They dominated them because their children came from homes where books were read, where homework was important, where ambition was encouraged. In latter times they could also afford the necessary tutoring. People who point to the odd working class exception there with a scholarship to pay for his or her uniform are guilty of either wishful thinking or deliberate blindness. They were not a ladder for more than a handful of the poor, they were an escalator built for the middle classes. And going back to that simply will not improve social mobility.
    So according to your philosophy it's okay for the super rich to buy the best education at private schools but not okay for the middle-classes to have access to grammar schools.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Fiscally dry is not the description of a government which borrowed hundreds of billions more than it said it would, introduced triple lock pensions, subsidised house prices and always spent money on its vanity projects.
    erm... you've not been involved in our fledgling party's ground game thus far have you...
  • Options

"My view is that the scale of early voting by post is impacting on final surveys. Many of those being sampled on June 22nd would have actually cast their postal ballots three weeks earlier which increases the possibility of them not giving an accurate response. "

I'm struggling to believe this can really account for the inaccuracy of final polls; surely this wouldn't bias one particular way, but that is what is seen in the EU ref polls?

Surely this is a simple methodology problem. Once postal voting opens they simply need to extract some data from earlier polls and squirt it back into later ones.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

I think that Cameron's concern for the poor is sincere and genuine. But, he overlooks those who are not poor, but not privileged, either.
    His support for increasing Overseas Aid is part of this.

But there was always a sense of him playing at 'Lord Bountiful'.

Cameron is an interesting psychological character.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited September 2016
    Mrs T Mrs May cleaning out more of Cameron / Osborne appointments...

The head of the BBC Trust, Rona Fairhead, has resigned after Theresa May asked her to re-apply for her own £110,000-a-year post.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3787874/BBC-chairman-Rona-Fairhead-steps-down.html
  • Options

JohnO said:

It's the description of TSE's personal opinion, to borrow another line from Yes Minister before it wears off:

"Lot's of activity, but no actual achievement"
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/13/david-davis-admits-possibility-of-uk-exiting-eu-without-trade-deal

Hold on. WE were told the EU had to give us the single market because we were so important !

The idiots.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

So much - this!

Sahil Oberoi: No need to panic Arsenal fans, you still have 5 matches left to ensure that you get knocked out in the last 16.

Why is Wenger playing a second string XI this evening? Concentrating on the league already?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Indeed, Survation had an eve of poll general election poll that was almost exactly right but did not publish. Had more pollsters focused only on those 10/10 certain to vote in EU ref they would also have been more accurate
    There was a late one from Survey Monkey that had a large sample size and from memory was pretty accurate, using quite different methodology to UK polls.
  • Options

Is there a betting market about it ?
  • Options
    tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Exactly....to the letter...every instruction....and there are many.

Apart from wine spillage cleaning.

{I would add a smiley but I remember your thoughts on them}
  • Options

- If all postal votes were cast immediately (which isn't unusual, anyway) when the Leave lead was 4.6%
    - And one fifth (20%) of all votes were postal votes
    - And the average final poll was for a 3.36% Remain lead (51.68:48.32)
    - And the actual result was a 3.78% Leave win (51.89:48.11)

Then the error caused by the postal voting should account for slightly under a quarter of the total error.

Do we take it then that as the 23rd June approached people were becoming more IN ?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Or as self-entitled.
    Its hubris followed by nemesis.

Perhaps a future playwright will write a great tragedy on Cameron's downfall.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/13/david-davis-admits-possibility-of-uk-exiting-eu-without-trade-deal

Hold on. WE were told the EU had to give us the single market because we were so important !

The idiots.

No. Just not making the same mistake Cameron did.

• Options

So much - this!

Why is Wenger playing a second string XI this evening? Concentrating on the league already?
    It's been obvious for years that the goal is just to re-qualify for CL and bank the cash from telly and fans - great business & who needs to progress that far.. Spurs still got furthest in the CL than Arsenal most recently and we've not been in it for years!!!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The idiots.

He's saying it's not a likely outcome ...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

There was a late one from Survey Monkey that had a large sample size and from memory was pretty accurate, using quite different methodology to UK polls.
    I would welcome american pollsters doing polls in Britain, it will be a chance for a fresh view.

It will be fair game since yougov is doing polls in america, with the risk of screwing it up like in Britain.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

Mrs T Mrs May cleaning out more of Cameron / Osborne appointments...

The head of the BBC Trust, Rona Fairhead, has resigned after Theresa May asked her to re-apply for her own £110,000-a-year post.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3787874/BBC-chairman-Rona-Fairhead-steps-down.html

How long will we have to wait for the inevitable taxpayer funded constructive dismissal case...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    DavidL said:

Not my experience at all, old chap. Might have become the case when grammar schools became rare and only to be found in certain areas, but certainly wasn't before Crossland started his work.

My grammar in Battersea was mainly attended by boys from the council estates of that borough as well as Wandsworth, Clapham and Stretham. There were a few lads whose parents owned their own homes, but they were the minority and we certainly didn't have any pukka middle-class children who parents were in the professions.

So I am afraid your idea that they were an escalator for the middle classes was, at least in my day, total bollocks.

P.S. I might just add for the umpteenth time on here that I don't want to see them back (unless part of a much wider education reform - see e.g. MaxPB's ideas on here a few days ago). The reason I don't want them brought back has nothing to do with the factors you mention, but because I think to do so would be to attack the wrong problem.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Love Productions is understood to have accused the BBC of “ripping off” the Bake Off format to create two new shows, involving the search for the nation’s leading amateur artist and hair stylist.

While the BBC has tried to portray the loss of the baking show as a purely financial matter, a source at the corporation said that there had been a “total breakdown of trust” between the broadcaster and the production company, which made it “impossible” to agree a deal.

It is understood that Love threatened to sue the corporation over Hair, a BBC Three programme released in early 2014 that was billed by the broadcaster as “a competition to find Britain’s best amateur hair stylist”, and was widely reported as being akin to a “Bake Off for hairdressing”. The corporation had agreed to a financial settlement with the production company, to prevent the case going to court.

Barely a year later, the corporation was accused of attempting a similar move over the BBC One show, The Big Painting Challenge, presented by Richard Bacon and Una Stubbs. The broadcaster billed the programme as a “nationwide search for Britain’s best amateur artist”, which Love again complained bore all the hallmarks of its own baking show.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/13/sue-perkins-and-mel-giedroyc-to-step-down-as-great-british-bake/

Didn't SeanT once accuse them of nicking an idea he pitched to them?
  • Options

Three possible outcomes:

All presenters quit, leaving C4 with a dead duck and an immediate halving of viewing figures

BBC reboot something with original presenting team

Outside chance - backlash/negative PR/all presenters quitting leads to C4 deal falling apart

Tbh, if C4 were stupid enough to pay £25m without ensuring the presenters were signed up, then hell mend them.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Ah yes! My wife does insist that after all this time I should be able to read her mind.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Wanderer said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Well said on this Mike.

DavidL said:

I think Cox's death may even have helped Leave as it shut down campaigning for several days at a point when Leave was probably ahead. Who knows.

It's probably asking too much of polls for them to accurately track small movements from week to week. Overall, throughout the last month, they gave the impression that the referendum was extremely close, which it was.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Three possible outcomes:

All presenters quit, leaving C4 with a dead duck and an immediate halving of viewing figures

BBC reboot something with original presenting team

Outside chance - backlash/negative PR/all presenters quitting leads to C4 deal falling apart

Tbh, if C4 were stupid enough to pay £25m without ensuring the presenters were signed up, then hell mend them.
    TBH, from link I gave it sounds like there has been a big bust up over a number of years...However, sounds like a balls up all round.

BBC not to secure the rights way in advance, with an attitude of their unwritten rule of programmes aren't allowed to leave the BBC. And CH4 not to secure that their deal was on the basis of getting the presenters.

As for a reboot on BBC, given Love Productions have already sued them once and got a settlement, I am sure they will do it again.
  • Options

surbiton said:

The idiots.

He's saying it also could happen. A far cry from the arrogance preceding the vote.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

FILTNY.

I, of course, only moved from London to New York because my American wife wanted to go back.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited September 2016
    They are rather good at getting you to spend hours helping them and providing them with material then neglecting to mention it in the programme credits, something I had personal experience of some years ago.

Wouldnt touch them with a bargepole.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

The idiots.

He's saying it also could happen. A far cry from the arrogance preceding the vote.
    Not that far ... certainly not as far as all the immediate Chicken Licken predictions that have come to naught so far.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What a petty-minded man he is if those reports are true.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    DavidL said:

Grammar schools were also great for the children of immigrants. Mine was around a third Indian and a fifth other Asian. I'd say it was about 50/50 white British to non-white British. Speaking as the latter it was the only way I would ever have been able to get such a quality education. I got into a private school but my parents weren't able to work out the bursary in time and they could never have afforded the fees (~£4k per term iirc) without one.

There needs to be a type of schooling that recognises and nurtures academic excellence outside of the fee paying sector. Grammar schools are part of the answer.
This discussion has been closed.