Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov poll finds the SNP regaining their majority at Holyr

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,009
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Right wing people, especially *hard* right, have better sex

https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/771685430118846464

But of course. "No woman was ever turned on by a man dressed as a liberal".

It sort of makes sense.

Alpha types who if we lived in a society without a state as animals do are the ones that would dominate, and are going to be in favour of a small state and freedom to do as they wish.

Beta puny types who would be dominated by the alpha types are going to prefer a big state which regulates everything and gives them a more level playing field.

Basically Dennis the Menace is right wing, Walter the softie is left wing.....
    It's very difficult to find a sexy male icon, beloved by women, who isn't alpha, dominant, and classically rightwing. From Darcy to Heathcliff, from Christian Gray (trillionaire businessman!) to Ross Poldark (dashing mine-captain), they are all Tories, Republicans or quasi-Fascist.

In Highlander the brooding macho hero actually gives the feisty modern heroine a spanking, which caused much excitation in the largely female viewership.

No liberal could ever administer a sincere spanking. He'd be worried about triggering. And have triplicate consent forms ready to be signed.
    You could add Chris Hemsworth's Thor or Daniel Craig's Bond to the mix too. Though the stud women want to have an affair with is not necessarily the one they want to marry and raise children with
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Occurs to me that US election 2016 might be the only time when both parties have selected the only candidate who might lose to the opposition

I think this underestimates both candidates.

Hillary would have loved to go up against a Rubio, a Kasich or, even better, a Cruz.

By the same token, Trump has already dispatched mainstream heavyweights like Jeb Bush with ease it would take an exceptional Democrat to avoid falling victim to the same kind of tactics.
    Kasich or Rubio would have beaten Hillary (though maybe not Cruz), Sanders also polled better against Trump than Hillary does
    You can't use polling during primary season as a guide to the head-to-heads. Sanders may have polled better against Trump but he would never have won a general, and Hillary's team would have hammered a generic Republican more effectively than they have Trump.
  • Options
    felix said:

MaxPB said:

Does anyone know what Amazon's delivery to Switzerland is like, do they deduct VAT before the order?

You may well find that there is a Swiss Amazon - we have one in Spain which is very good. You can also order from the UK but some don't deliver and some charge a lot in postage.
    Swiss Amazon? Is that a six foot three tall helvitican lady?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited September 2016
    weejonnie said:

nunu said:

Speedy said:
    These polls are good, they will wake the Democrats from their complacency.
    What can they do - all they offer is hate.
    is that comment a parody? are you being serious? The Republicans aren't ofeering hate?
    LOL go lie down.
  • Options
    nunu said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Speedy said:

Some problems in Hillaryland in the first poll covering the Mexico-Immigration stunts:

http://www.investors.com/politics/clinton-and-trump-are-tied-in-latest-ibdtipp-poll/

Hillary 44 -2
    Trump 43 +4

Trump 39 +4
    Hillary 39 nc
    Johnson 12 nc
    Stein 3 -2

Hilary's 7 point lead reduced to a one point lead in a month surely can't just be down to the Convention bounce subsiding? What is she doing wrong?

EDIT: I note there is still 15% of the non Trump/Clinton in those numbers, although the reduction in Stein's vote might indicate it is going to go to Trump if it is a knife-edge vote? (But was Stein really ever on 5%??)
    She is not doing anything wrong that hasn't been wrong about her all along. People dislike her only marginally less than they dislike the Donald. People trust her less than any politician in US history save the Donald. She has zero charisma, she is so bad at speaking off the cuff that her team won't let her do press conferences unless they absolutely can't avoid it. Even women don't like her.

This is such a depressing choice.
    I remain of the view Hillary v Trump is basically a rehash of the 1968 election only as Nixon v Wallace and without Humphrey. I am also sticking to my view Hillary will win by less than 1% (as Nixon did then) and in the closest electoral college margin since 2000, with Trump winning Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Nevada and Iowa, Hillary Pennsylvania, Colorado, New Hampshire and Virginia for a 273 to 265 victory
    yes I think that is very likely.
    It may well be a long night
  • Options
    nunu said:

runnymede said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

nunu "This is so shocking, go to about 20mins in. In middle class Chester!"

Are you being serious or taking the P?

Why would you ask if I'm being serious? Or do u think what that woman experienced wasn't shocking? TSE is right you are thick.
    More insults from the so superior REMAINers..... I listened from the 20 mins point for about 5 mins and it was very hard to make out what she had suffered other than coming from Germany and someone told her "made your bed so you lie in it". So could you help and explain what exactly she had suffered and how that had been substantiated by some other evidence?
    "More insults from the so superior REMAINers..... "- LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Clearly you didn't bother listening then, you heard what you wanted to.She said she has lived here since the 70's and her neighbours and people who she thought were her friends and had even gone on coach trips with said they could no longer be friends with her because she is "foreign" people hear her accent and shout abuse at her, she has had dog poo on her window and is very afraid. I'm not saying it's representative of LEAVE voters at all but I found it a few days ago and thought it was shocking. I hope we can reach out to people and make sure they know they feel valued.

People need to drop the Leave/Remain tribalism now.
    You could start by stopping posting REMAIN propaganda
    How is it remain propaganda? She was an actual woman you know. Jheeze.
    There are a few idiots around but once BREXIT is sorted out it will calm down, especially once they realise EU citizens already living here are staying
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Speedy said:

Some problems in Hillaryland in the first poll covering the Mexico-Immigration stunts:

http://www.investors.com/politics/clinton-and-trump-are-tied-in-latest-ibdtipp-poll/

Hillary 44 -2
    Trump 43 +4

Trump 39 +4
    Hillary 39 nc
    Johnson 12 nc
    Stein 3 -2

Hilary's 7 point lead reduced to a one point lead in a month surely can't just be down to the Convention bounce subsiding? What is she doing wrong?

EDIT: I note there is still 15% of the non Trump/Clinton in those numbers, although the reduction in Stein's vote might indicate it is going to go to Trump if it is a knife-edge vote? (But was Stein really ever on 5%??)
    She is not doing anything wrong that hasn't been wrong about her all along. People dislike her only marginally less than they dislike the Donald. People trust her less than any politician in US history save the Donald. She has zero charisma, she is so bad at speaking off the cuff that her team won't let her do press conferences unless they absolutely can't avoid it. Even women don't like her.

I remain of the view Hillary v Trump is basically a rehash of the 1968 election only as Nixon v Wallace and without Humphrey. I am also sticking to my view Hillary will win by less than 1% (as Nixon did then) and in the closest electoral college margin since 2000, with Trump winning Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Nevada and Iowa, Hillary Pennsylvania, Colorado, New Hampshire and Virginia for a 273 to 265 victory
    Whats the equivalent of Sunderland over there?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nunu said:

runnymede said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

Why would you ask if I'm being serious? Or do u think what that woman experienced wasn't shocking? TSE is right you are thick.
    More insults from the so superior REMAINers..... I listened from the 20 mins point for about 5 mins and it was very hard to make out what she had suffered other than coming from Germany and someone told her "made your bed so you lie in it". So could you help and explain what exactly she had suffered and how that had been substantiated by some other evidence?

Clearly you didn't bother listening then, you heard what you wanted to.She said she has lived here since the 70's and her neighbours and people who she thought were her friends and had even gone on coach trips with said they could no longer be friends with her because she is "foreign" people hear her accent and shout abuse at her, she has had dog poo on her window and is very afraid. I'm not saying it's representative of LEAVE voters at all but I found it a few days ago and thought it was shocking. I hope we can reach out to people and make sure they know they feel valued.

There are a few idiots around but once BREXIT is sorted out it will calm down, especially once they realise EU citizens already living here are staying
    Personally I would keep free movement with Poland - decent hard working sorts who fought like lions with us in WW2. The problem lies further south.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nunu said:

runnymede said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

I'm just worried about the idiots on here saying I'm a superior REMAINER posting Remain propaganda......

.....have they not seen my other posts?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Occurs to me that US election 2016 might be the only time when both parties have selected the only candidate who might lose to the opposition

Hillary would have loved to go up against a Rubio, a Kasich or, even better, a Cruz.

By the same token, Trump has already dispatched mainstream heavyweights like Jeb Bush with ease it would take an exceptional Democrat to avoid falling victim to the same kind of tactics.
    Kasich or Rubio would have beaten Hillary (though maybe not Cruz), Sanders also polled better against Trump than Hillary does
    You can't use polling during primary season as a guide to the head-to-heads. Sanders may have polled better against Trump but he would never have won a general, and Hillary's team would have hammered a generic Republican more effectively than they have Trump.
    Kasich and Rubio would have won the centre Trump is still failing to do and Rubio in particular has a charisma she lacks without Trump's aggression. Sanders represents the anti-establishment mood, though as you say that may have petered out in a general election. Trump will run Hillary close but I don't think he will win in the end
  • Options
    nunu said:

weejonnie said:

nunu said:

Speedy said:
    is thhat comment a parody? are are you being serious? The Republicans aren't ofeering hate?
    LOL go lie down.
    He meant Democrats only have hate to offer - I think?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Speedy said:

Hillary 44 -2
    Trump 43 +4

Trump 39 +4
    Hillary 39 nc
    Johnson 12 nc
    Stein 3 -2

And what's their Nuneaton, the early to declare state that always votes for the winner?
  • Options
    edited September 2016

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Speedy said:

Hillary 44 -2
    Trump 43 +4

Trump 39 +4
    Hillary 39 nc
    Johnson 12 nc
    Stein 3 -2

Pennsylvania this year (though really it was Birmingham or South Bucks which told us Leave was going to win, Sunderland was more the equivalent of Iowa)
  • Options
    I see there is a documentary about Emily Thornberry's younger days on BBC1 at 9.30 this evening.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

runnymede said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

Personally I would keep free movement with Poland - decent hard working sorts who fought like lions with us in WW2. The problem lies further south.
    I would too sadly the majority of Leavers would not
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Speedy said:

Hillary 44 -2
    Trump 43 +4

Trump 39 +4
    Hillary 39 nc
    Johnson 12 nc
    Stein 3 -2

Pennsylvania this year (though really it was Birmingham or South Bucks which told us Leave was going to win, Sunderland was more the equivalent of Iowa)
    The crucial states will be Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin. I can't see any others being important this year.
  • Options
    nunu said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

runnymede said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

I'm just worried about the idiots on here saying I'm a superior REMAINER posting Remain propaganda......

.....have they not seen my other posts?
    Indeed
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Kasich and Rubio would have won the centre Trump is still failing to do and Rubio in particular has a charisma she lacks without Trump's aggression. Sanders represents the anti-establishment mood, though as you say that may have petered out in a general election. Trump will run Hillary close but I don't think he will win in the end
    Watch the video of Rubio questioning John Kerry on Iran. Hillary would have easily shown him up as an out-of-his-depth kid.
  • Options

I see there is a documentary about Emily Thornberry's younger days on BBC1 at 9.30 this evening.

Sounds exciting...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Speedy said:

Hillary 44 -2
    Trump 43 +4

Trump 39 +4
    Hillary 39 nc
    Johnson 12 nc
    Stein 3 -2

The crucial states will be Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin. I can't see any others being important this year.
    Florida and Ohio are must wins for Trump, Michigan and Wisconsin for Hillary, Pennsylvania will determine who is heading to the Oval Office
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    felix said:

MaxPB said:

Does anyone know what Amazon's delivery to Switzerland is like, do they deduct VAT before the order?

You may well find that there is a Swiss Amazon - we have one in Spain which is very good. You can also order from the UK but some don't deliver and some charge a lot in postage.
    Sadly no Amazon in Switzerland, weird when one thinks about the tax avoidance measures they employ.
  • Options
    YossariansChildYossariansChild Posts: 536
    edited September 2016
    MP_SE said:

Interesting article on the EU referendum campaigns. Looks like the Remain campaign was piss poor.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/09/inside-story-brexit-vote-won/

I hate to say it but I think thats self-promoting bollocks.

This is personal anecdote so only refers to the East Riding but here goes. Vote Leave software wasnt used. There was no real canvassing. Our advantage was we had volunteers on the ground who covered everywhere. Yes we were told 'these are good areas,' but we had enough folk out to cover all areas. In Hull we met every Monday in a room in the Minerva pub with a large map of the city and filled in that map until it was covered. We had single mums with tats and buggies along side Hyacinth Bucket treading council estates on a saturday morn. In the 'posh' avenues we had hardcore UKIP brickies mixing with the SWP. In the Riding we had UKIP with a tank (actually a borrowed self-propelled Abbot) in a lay-by, we had stalls, we had a bloody parrot for kids to take pics with. We had 3 at Beverley station and a number at Hull Paragon catching them at both ends. The night before we had a van to go round for poster for each polling station in the county. On the day we had a dawn raid in the roughest council estate at 5am with volunteers we had never seen before but wanted to do 'their bit' (a lovely couple drove 25 miles from deepest Howden never seen before or since but at 5am gave out 100s of 'today is polling day' leaflets') we had folk outside the most important polling stations in Beverley and moved them as the day went on (since so many had never voted before a few had the wrong polling station - needless to say they all got a lift from us). At 8pm we went around every house / flat with a Vote Leave sign (we had loads) knocking up making sure they had or would be voted.

Vote Leave was a true grassroot organisation. The centre did f all frankly - the local lead Nick Y was superb and is one of the great friendships I made during the campaign. We were a motley crew of all types and all classes. Was a joy to be apart of.

For Remain they had an old bloke and an old lady. Both were nice and lovely. They were completely ineffective.

edited for obvious spellings
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Not my idea of a fun Friday evening!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2016

O/T

The cat is now very old and not doing much so we have started to look at the possibilities of holidays, maybe as early as next year. One place we would both like to visit is the Falkland Islands, but how to get there?

[snipped for space]

Not sure what the appeal is, but the Falkland Isle and Shetland Isle are remarkably similar in both character and terrain. Scale down the latter and replace penguins with puffins and they are virtually indistinguishable imho, although Lerwick beats Stanley hands down for pubs imrc. No flying required and a stopover at Orkney should make the ferry trip more palatable.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Watch the video of Rubio questioning John Kerry on Iran. Hillary would have easily shown him up as an out-of-his-depth kid.
    People said the same about Nixon and JFK (even if Rubio is no Kennedy he is more likeable and charismatic than Hillary)
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

Scott_P said:

@patrick_kidd: Am on Virgin train. War with Corbyn endures. Guard just said: "For those moaning they have to sit on floor there are 132 empty seats today."

@patrick_kidd: Virgin guard goes on: "If you can't find an empty seat, may I suggest you try walking through more than one carriage before complaining"

I'd put money on the guard saying that was doing so off his own bat, not prompted by the company in any way at all. Railway people can be very proud and protective of their company.
    Us SR folk have still not forgiven BR(WR) now GWR again for singling our main line to exeter damn near wrecking it after they took it over in a BR regional boundary change in 1963 and probably won't until it is restored to double track and the principle route to Exeter again.
    Could have been worse: the line between Matlock and Peak Forest was shut because the West Coast folks didn't want a rival route to Manchester. Although they only wanted the line shut after it was used as a diversionary route during electrification of the WCML route.

Barbara Castle has a lot to answer for ...

One of BR's biggest mistakes in 1948 was keeping the regional structure of the railways, where some (cough) GWR (cough) pretty much did things their own way for decades.
    Oh a train post.
    I am up in Malcy land on my annual Fort Bill trip,just done the amazing Fort Bill to Mallaig train,incredible scenery, and a packed train, we did book, but I was tempted to sit on the floor and post a pic on my FB page.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sounds exciting...
    Wonder if there will be any white vans?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Not my idea of a fun Friday evening!
    I think I'll stick to the whisky bottle instead.
  • Options

O/T

The cat is now very old and not doing much so we have started to look at the possibilities of holidays, maybe as early as next year. One place we would both like to visit is the Falkland Islands, but how to get there?

[snipped for space]

Not sure what the appeal is, but the Falkland Isle and Shetland Isle are remarkably similar in both character and terrain. Scale down the latter and replace penguins with puffins and they are virtually indistinguishable imho, although Lerwick beats Stanley hands down for pubs imrc. No flying required and a stopover at Orkney should make the ferry trip more palatable.
    My wife and I went on a cruise to Antarctica and South Georgia and called at the Falklands on our way back to Buenos Aires. It does have similarities to Shetland but is very pro British and it is interesting to see the places made famous in the Falkland conflict
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 22m22 minutes ago
    Last night's council by-elections: LDEM gain from UKIP; CON gain from LAB; three CON holds
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    nunu said:

weejonnie said:

nunu said:

Speedy said:
    is that comment a parody? are you being serious? The Republicans aren't ofeering hate?
    LOL go lie down.
    The republicans are offering the rule of law rather than the rule of the cheque book.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It sort of makes sense.

Alpha types who if we lived in a society without a state as animals do are the ones that would dominate, and are going to be in favour of a small state and freedom to do as they wish.

Beta puny types who would be dominated by the alpha types are going to prefer a big state which regulates everything and gives them a more level playing field.

It's very difficult to find a sexy male icon, beloved by women, who isn't alpha, dominant, and classically rightwing. From Darcy to Heathcliff, from Christian Gray (trillionaire businessman!) to Ross Poldark (dashing mine-captain), they are all Tories, Republicans or quasi-Fascist.

In Highlander the brooding macho hero actually gives the feisty modern heroine a spanking, which caused much excitation in the largely female viewership.

No liberal could ever administer a sincere spanking. He'd be worried about triggering. And have triplicate consent forms ready to be signed.
    As Sylvia Plath put it "every woman adores a fascist."

It's remarkable how much romantic/erotic literature - written by women for women - features ruthless, brutal heroes who give the heroines a good thrashing and have never heard the word "consent."
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    3 more ipsos polls on 538 going from trump +1 to tie to Clinton +2 on 3 successive days. (Clinton most recent). If you want the trend then it is towards Clinton.

(What is surprising - no Florida polls for a week. Burying bad news?)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It sort of makes sense.

As Sylvia Plath put it "every woman adores a fascist."

It's remarkable how much romantic/erotic literature - written by women for women - features ruthless, brutal heroes who give the heroines a good thrashing and have never heard the word "consent."
    edit
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Scott_P said:

@patrick_kidd: Am on Virgin train. War with Corbyn endures. Guard just said: "For those moaning they have to sit on floor there are 132 empty seats today."

@patrick_kidd: Virgin guard goes on: "If you can't find an empty seat, may I suggest you try walking through more than one carriage before complaining"

I'd put money on the guard saying that was doing so off his own bat, not prompted by the company in any way at all. Railway people can be very proud and protective of their company.
    Us SR folk have still not forgiven BR(WR) now GWR again for singling our main line to exeter damn near wrecking it after they took it over in a BR regional boundary change in 1963 and probably won't until it is restored to double track and the principle route to Exeter again.
    Did you know that when the M5 was built, the Western Region got those responsible to design the bridge over the railway at Pinhoe to be wide enough for only one track?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

felix said:

MaxPB said:

Sadly no Amazon in Switzerland, weird when one thinks about the tax avoidance measures they employ.
    Amazon UK will ship internationally books but generally not electronics nor digital media. Delivery charges will be higher than UK and may take more time but are generally reliable.
  • Options
    Warning - Avoid central London tomorrow, the streets will be packed for the 'LDs March for Europe'
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1771665376380983/?notif_t=event_joined_nearby&notif_id=1472819922451497
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    weejonnie said:

3 more ipsos polls on 538 going from trump +1 to tie to Clinton +2 on 3 successive days. (Clinton most recent). If you want the trend then it is towards Clinton.

I dare say it's a bit difficult to poll a state that has a hurricane crossing it.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

O/T

[snipped for space]

I take your points, Mr. St Clare and perhaps the terrain of Dartmoor is similar to both and even easier to get to. However, puffins are not equal to penguins and then there is also all the other wildlife. There are also some personal reasons to go down there.
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, enterprising souls setting up sandal shops and rocket sandwich stalls will make a killing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Warning - Avoid central London tomorrow, the streets will be packed for the 'LDs March for Europe'
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1771665376380983/?notif_t=event_joined_nearby&notif_id=1472819922451497

All 315 of them. How sweet.

• Options

Mr. HYUFD, enterprising souls setting up sandal shops and rocket sandwich stalls will make a killing.

Indeed, though probably only an enterprising soul will be needed, on a part-time basis!
  • Options

I was imagining sarnies shaped like a space rocket then... which would be cool. But then I worked out you meant the rather dull leafy stuff that gets stuck in your teeth.

Much safer to stick to stuff made from chickpeas I would have thought
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Did you know that when the M5 was built, the Western Region got those responsible to design the bridge over the railway at Pinhoe to be wide enough for only one track?
    I vaguely recall hearing a story that the highways agency offered to do a two track overbridge but they said dont worry one is enough or the highways lot are committed to widening it if asked which sounds very unlikely?

If you know more I am all ears.

The WR did try to shut all five stations between Honiton and Exeter, managed to shut three and all three have now reopened.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

May be a little optimistic
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ram packed.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

O/T

Leave aside for a moment my dislike of flying, there would seem to be two aeroplane routes. One run by a commercial company via Chile and one run by HMG out of RAF Brize Norton via Ascension. The RAF flight is a regular one for service purposes so it will be service standard of catering (crap food and no booze) and accommodation with some seats being flogged off to civies to make some cash for HMG. The Commercial service will be a commercial service with all the drawbacks and advantages that brings, it also requires an overnight stop in Chile.

The difference in price? £1100! HMG charges £2200 whilst the commercial airline charges £1100. The MoD is having a laugh.

Chile may well be worth a look in its own right, a shame to go all that way without a stopover.The Andes, the Fjords, the winelands and some interesting cities all quite accessible. Apparantly the Chilean accent is quite difficult even for native Spanish speakers, but the country has an official policy of bilingualism in English. The cost difference in flights may well pay for a weeks break.

If military history is your thing then there may well be specialist tours, and I expect these would take in the other sites along the way.

I don't know if you have read Rick Jolly's book:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Green-Life-Machine-Falklands/dp/055299068X

Surgeon Commander Jolly is an amazing man, I spent a very well lubricated night with him about 1985, his lecture on treatment of bullet wounds was revolutionary. It was based upon his work in Ulster in the Seventies, and led to the astonishingly good survival record at the base hospital at San Carlos Bay. This is despite extreme conditions including an unexploded bomb in the rafters.

Uniquely, he was decorated by both sides for his role in the same conflict.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It will be a good day for beard spotting
  • Options
    edited September 2016

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

I vaguely recall hearing a story that the highways agency offered to do a two track overbridge but they said dont worry one is enough or the highways lot are committed to widening it if asked which sounds very unlikely?

The WR did try to shut all five stations between Honiton and Exeter, managed to shut three and all three have now reopened.
    I know that when the M5 was built a lot of people begged the government to make it 3 lanes in both directions but they refused. 20 years later they had to spend millions widening the road when it turned out not to be adequate for the volume of traffic.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Whereas Conservatives have a choice - soft Brexit, hard Brexit, invoking Article 50, not invoking Article 50, the choice is yours.

The Conservative Party - anything for everyone.
  • Options
    Hugely damaging for Clinton.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-clinton-emails-idUSKCN11829I

Clinton says could not recall all briefings due to concussion: FBI report
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    edited September 2016
    Mr. Glenn, is there a chance Clinton could drop out?

Edited extra bit: Dr. Foxinsox, interesting stuff about the Jolly hero.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It will be a good day for beard spotting
    Or Tim spotting
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Next week Labour are defending local council seats in Mansfield and Barrow-in-Furness, both places where they've been losing support in recent years.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Whereas Conservatives have a choice - soft Brexit, hard Brexit, invoking Article 50, not invoking Article 50, the choice is yours.

The Conservative Party - anything for everyone.
    Though I think it fairer the say the Tories are in rather better position than the LDs at the moment
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

I've only heard that story second hand, but it sounds about right. If Crossrail 2 gets built and is done properly then two new lines should be built as far out as Hampton Court Junctions. That will free up capacity on the slow lines into Waterloo. At this point double tracking the line to Exeter would be a no brainer and you could run a very good service. It would require a bit of work in places - a dive under/fly over at Woking would really help, but it should definitely be up for consideration.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Could have been worse: the line between Matlock and Peak Forest was shut because the West Coast folks didn't want a rival route to Manchester. Although they only wanted the line shut after it was used as a diversionary route during electrification of the WCML route.

Barbara Castle has a lot to answer for ...

One of BR's biggest mistakes in 1948 was keeping the regional structure of the railways, where some (cough) GWR (cough) pretty much did things their own way for decades.
    Both lines in that case were still under the same region as the previous private owners.LMS/LMR.

I heard it was because the LMR Manchester Sheffield via Hope line was slated for closure in one of the Beeching Reports with the ex LNER line via Woodhead which was electrified selected for development. (Matlock - Buxton wasnt in the Beeching reports either).

Basically LMR had got their hands on the Woodhead line and persued a Gotterdamerung strategy to close the Woodhead route and save their route via Hope and were prepared to sacrifice the line to Matlock (traffic diverted via the west to south Chords at Dore) in persuit of this aim.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Conflict News
    DENMARK: ISIS claims responsibility for shooting in Freetown Christiana in #Copenhagen. - @p_vanostaeyen
    https://t.co/Ou0eAm4oYk

MORE: 2 police were wounded in this incident (one seriously), while the attack died in hospital following a shoot-out with police.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rpjs said:

weejonnie said:

I dare say it's a bit difficult to poll a state that has a hurricane crossing it.
    I do recall a decade or so ago, a TV viewer in the South calling in to bemoan her daytime soap being bumped by emergency use of the TV channel to warn about an imminent tornado danger. How dare they suspend her viewing just because of a tornado?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Some good Trump polls tonight.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, I hope the media/police/politicians stop their bullshit approach to pretending it isn't happening.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    edited September 2016

Mr. Glenn, is there a chance Clinton could drop out?

I doubt it. We're only weeks from the election.

It is interesting that throughout the campaign there have been several well-timed, damaging leaks from the FBI. Perhaps a 'vast right-wing conspiracy'?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

If only if Cleggy had been in government, he could have stopped this. Oh wait....

Clegg: Osborne casually cut welfare for poorest to boost Tory popularity

Exclusive: Former deputy PM says ‘cynical’ ex-chancellor was not bothered about human consequences

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/02/nick-clegg-george-osborne-cut-welfare-poorest-boost-tory-popularity?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The skid mark on the Y fronts of the body politic. Urgh.
  • Options

Miss Plato, I hope the media/police/politicians stop their bullshit approach to pretending it isn't happening.

The conspiracy of silence is deeply troubling. We have to be honest about it - not to scaremonger but to ensure that proper alerts and controls are in place.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Conflict News
    DENMARK: ISIS claims responsibility for shooting in Freetown Christiana in #Copenhagen. - @p_vanostaeyen

MORE: 2 police were wounded in this incident (one seriously), while the attack died in hospital following a shoot-out with police.

No no can't be right...it was a mentally ill man known locally as Dave & who wasn't a good Muslim and probably gay & definitely nothing to do with Islamic extremism.
  • Options
    RobD said:

What would you say is driving this?
  • Options

Both lines in that case were still under the same region as the previous private owners.LMS/LMR.

I heard it was because the LMR Manchester Sheffield via Hope line was slated for closure in one of the Beeching Reports with the ex LNER line via Woodhead which was electrified selected for development. (Matlock - Buxton wasnt in the Beeching reports either).

Basically LMR had got their hands on the Woodhead line and persued a Gotterdamerung strategy to close the Woodhead route and save their route via Hope and were prepared to sacrifice the line to Matlock (traffic diverted via the west to south Chords at Dore) in persuit of this aim.

Indeed. The excuse for closure was that the Peak Forest tunnel was troublesome and would not allow trains for many more years. Nearly fifty years later, heavy freight trains still rumble through the tunnel daily!

The Peak Line was more of a rival to the main route, and from what I've read/been told the main reason for closure was that rivalry - they were afraid it would take London to Manchester traffic, which the Hope line wouldn't.

Again, it was down to the mindset of BR managers at the time, whose mindset was to manage declining traffic. Quite different from today!

As for the Woodhead: a tragic loss, but one that was fairly inevitable given the decline of coal traffic and its unusual electrification scheme. If it had lasted another five years it'd probably be with us today.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Where has this trump surge come from?
  • Options
    Mr. Simon, I agree entirely [although for a moment I thought you were referring to Clinton's health].

Mr. Glenn, it's a serious risk that such stories must help Trump, no?

Which makes me wonder whether vanity is the only reason Clinton's standing.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

RobD said:

Where has this trump surge come from?
    People are regarding la Clinton and not very much liking what they regardez.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

I've only heard that story second hand, but it sounds about right. If Crossrail 2 gets built and is done properly then two new lines should be built as far out as Hampton Court Junctions. That will free up capacity on the slow lines into Waterloo. At this point double tracking the line to Exeter would be a no brainer and you could run a very good service. It would require a bit of work in places - a dive under/fly over at Woking would really help, but it should definitely be up for consideration.
    I think flyovers at both Woking and Bazingstoke are in the long term pipeline.

The studies for reopening the Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton showed there would be three times as many passengers if the trains go to Waterloo not just a shuttle to exeter as network rails original study assumed.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    The first and only Uzbek president confirmed dead 6 days after it was first reported:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37260375
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

I think flyovers at both Woking and Bazingstoke are in the long term pipeline.

The studies for reopening the Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton showed there would be three times as many passengers if the trains go to Waterloo not just a shuttle to exeter as network rails original study assumed.
    Do you have linkies to those studies / reports please? I've obviously missed them, and it's something I'm interested in.
  • Options

Mr. Simon, I agree entirely [although for a moment I thought you were referring to Clinton's health].

Mr. Glenn, it's a serious risk that such stories must help Trump, no?

Which makes me wonder whether vanity is the only reason Clinton's standing.

Clinton's health must be a concern for some - and may well be why Trump's numbers are edging upwards. I suspect most of it is just exaggeration and misplaced speculation on the part of her opponents. But given she did have a bleed on the brain not so long ago, it is not unreasonable to question whether that had more of effect than has been revealed so far.

Having a health condition hasn't stopped presidents in the past - but we live in different times now.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Conflict News

Did this happen today?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

nunu said:

nunu said:

You take her story as fact then. If you want "People to drop the Leave/Remain tribalism now" you would need to start with yourself and stop calling people stupid who supported LEAVE.
    Nunu might take her story as fact but I think it's a made up crock of shite.

Each to their own, I guess.
  • Options
    Mr. JS, to be fair, the Pope being dead nine days after it happened was still top news story, and everybody knew about it for certain on day one.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

You take her story as fact then. If you want "People to drop the Leave/Remain tribalism now" you would need to start with yourself and stop calling people stupid who supported LEAVE.

Nunu voted leave, but is clearly concerned about the ill-treatment of our resident migrants. I share that concern.
  • Options

RobD said:

No idea. I'm definitely out of touch when it comes to US politics!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Conflict News

Did this happen today?
    No...it was quietly reported as something & nothing...drugs related I think.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    I really like that a system is now in place to allow non-Test countries to compete for the right to join the Test-playing club:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/37261488

I imagine Zimbabwe will be the Test nation dropped to make way (probably for Ireland). I doubt the cricketing world will mourn that much. But what if, some time in the future, it is one of the big money earners, such as India or England, that is dropped?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Conflict News

Did this happen today?
    No, the story was reported two days ago in the Express – however, ISIS claiming responsibility and the capture and subsequent death of the assailant are new.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The first and only Uzbek president confirmed dead 6 days after it was first reported:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37260375

How could they possibly tell? (C) D Parker
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    She's such a crap liar

Oliver D'Arcy
    FBI doc: Clinton said she didn’t know the “C” marking in emails meant the information was classified https://t.co/1RVWaIYX0f

FBI: Clinton speculated the “C” marking was referencing paragraphs marked in alphabetical order
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Mr. Simon/Mr. Bedfordshire, if it's easy to make the shift and the choice is massively altering your content to get ad revenues or moving platform, a significant number may move.

Some think this is designed to try and encourage more Red Tube (or whatever subscription Youtube is called) channels.

Patreon means some may prefer to try and replace ad revenue with direct donations/subscriptions.

It all seems very odd to me, Mr. Dancer. One chap whose channel I watch quite regularly has been running for years, he basically financed his way through university with it, has now been told it must be de-monetised. He creates videos of play-throughs of games and flight-sims. Naturally there is a certain amount of bad language in his commentary, not excessively so and not gratuitously but as any gamer will know there are moments of frustration which would cause a saint on valium to swear. That occasional bad language has apparently caused him to be put on YouTube's naughty step. He says he will give up on YouTube.
    That sounds like Hayes code not SJW censorship.
  • Options

Mr. JS, to be fair, the Pope being dead nine days after it happened was still top news story, and everybody knew about it for certain on day one.

Yes, it was amazing how "Pope definitely still dead" was news for more than a week. But then again, we just had a week of an old man sitting on the floor of a train being top story.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

She's such a crap liar

Oliver D'Arcy
    FBI doc: Clinton said she didn’t know the “C” marking in emails meant the information was classified https://t.co/1RVWaIYX0f

What did she think it meant? Grading of how well written it was like some college paper?
  • Options
    Pew Research
    65% of Trump backers say terrorism is “very big” problem compared w/ 36% of Clinton backers https://t.co/RBpUOkCG0I https://t.co/pTF0hj5gFw
  • Options

RobD said:

Unwinding of Clinton Conference Bounce?
    Trump appear more rational (not hard to do)?
    Clinton appearing more and more disliked?
    Some small swing by black voters?
    Possible show of lack of caring by Democrats towards fellow citizens in distress (Hillary not going to Louisiana, Obama playing golf while Americans drown - and now snorkelling while Floridians batten down the hatches after a hurricane - that strikes me as sort of not an action that will necessarily develop to the Democrats best advantage.)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    John_M said:

GeoffM said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

Nunu voted leave, but is clearly concerned about the ill-treatment of our resident migrants. I share that concern.
    And so do I. My Gibraltarian accent sounds very out of place in the UK and is often commented upon - so all things being equal I'd expect a bit of grief. Never happened to me yet though.

My concern for the wellbeing of others doesn't, however, mean I'll swallow whole every hairy-arsed fairy tale story with an agenda - from either side.

Anyway, if nunu wants lessons in made up pretendy anecdotes then she should re-read Nick Palmer during the GE campaign. Now *there* was someone who could pull up a sandbag and swing a lantern.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    weejonnie said:

RobD said:

Unwinding of Clinton Conference Bounce?
    Trump appear more rational (not hard to do)?
    Clinton appearing more and more disliked?
    Some small swing by black voters?
    Possible show of lack of caring by Democrats towards fellow citizens in distress (Hillary not going to Louisiana, Obama playing golf while Americans drown - and now snorkelling while Floridians batten down the hatches after a hurricane - that strikes me as sort of not an action that will necessarily develop to the Democrats best advantage.)
    I'd add reversion to the mean. The US is divided 50/50 Red/Blue.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

She's such a crap liar

Oliver D'Arcy

What did she think it meant? Grading of how well written it was like some college paper?
    US classified documents are classified on a per-paragraph level, as well as per-page. It's one of the Septic's idiosyncracies. There is no way in hell she didn't understand what the markings meant.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

She's such a crap liar

Oliver D'Arcy

FBI: Clinton speculated the “C” marking was referencing paragraphs marked in alphabetical order

That's got to be bollocks, there's no way she didn't have a *lot* of training and supervision on the handling of sensitive material when appointed as SoS.

I really think Trump is the lesser of two evils now, Hillary is completely unfit to hold office.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

She's such a crap liar

Oliver D'Arcy

Very unconvincing...
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    GeoffM said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

Radio shows are particularly susceptible to hoax calls. It is very easy to bombard a show with calls from activists and those with an agenda.

I don't know what to make of the lady from Chester. Obviously very sad if true but the police spoke to her and she asked that they not take it any further.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

She's such a crap liar

Oliver D'Arcy

That's got to be bollocks, there's no way she didn't have a *lot* of training and supervision on the handling of sensitive material when appointed as SoS.

I really think Trump is the lesser of two evils now, Hillary is completely unfit to hold office.
    To my mind they are both unfit to hold office, and so the question of which is more unfit is irrelevant.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

She's such a crap liar

Oliver D'Arcy

Indeed.

Hillary's sense of entitlement and belief that she is above the law is quite disgusting.
  • Options
    I notice the useless dr eoin after screaming blue murder about not getting his ballot paper, has actually got a ballot paper & of.course voted jezza.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

John_M said:

GeoffM said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

And so do I. My Gibraltarian accent sounds very out of place in the UK and is often commented upon - so all things being equal I'd expect a bit of grief. Never happened to me yet though.

My concern for the wellbeing of others doesn't, however, mean I'll swallow whole every hairy-arsed fairy tale story with an agenda - from either side.

Anyway, if nunu wants lessons in made up pretendy anecdotes then she should re-read Nick Palmer during the GE campaign. Now *there* was someone who could pull up a sandbag and swing a lantern.
    I think you are a disgusting human bieng. An elderly woman comes on radio describing her angst and you say it is all lies. You are pathetic, I pray you don't get attcked as others have as I know of.
This discussion has been closed.