Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nick Palmer on What next if Corbyn sweeps the board?

Comments

• Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    edited August 2016
    Sooo Independent lol "a huge proportion of the public had no qualms about telling women what to wear"

"The British public want to ban Muslim women from wearing the Islamic veil or burqa by an overwhelming margin of more than two-to-one, a poll has found.

Research by YouGov found a huge proportion of the public had no qualms about telling women what to wear, with 57 per cent in favour of a ban and just 25 per cent against.

18-24 year olds were the only age group to oppose a ban; all others were in favour, with the oldest 65+ group backing the prohibition by a startling 78 per cent to 12. All major political parties also had a plurality of voters in favour of a ban."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/islam-muslim-veil-burka-ban-burkini-poll-uk-britain-france-a7218386.html
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

The Junior Doctors are going out on strike again:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37229680

Potentially five-day strikes each month.

You do get the sense they're pushing their luck now, especially being the BMA recommended the terms of the last deal.

They must be on the verge of massively losing public support, it's gone on far too long. Time to enforce, the government has made plenty of concessions and by the looks of it it has become more political than anything else.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Miss Plato, but impeached for what?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Miss Plato, but impeached for what?

Budget fiddling IIRC
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited August 2016
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

If teachers went on strike for a full week the public would crucify us. But it is most unlikely anyone would die as a result.

I really wonder if the junior doctors have thought this through. Even their own union wants to stop this, but they seem to be going on more or less for the hell of it.

I don't think it will end well for them. Apart from anything else, a massive rise in recalcitrant patients seems likely.
    Two old school friends of mine are JDs and are all for the action. They're also Corbynistas.
    Not sure I'd be comfortable being treated by soembody who thought Jeremy Corbyn had the cure for society's ills. Or who was stupid enough to think he was intelligent or honest.
    I take comfort from the fact that most of the hospital doctors I have come into contact with over the past few years are foreign and probably don't give a toss about UK politics.

The last time I was in A&E the senior chap was a German and his sidekick, obviously under training, was Kiwi. The time before that I had an Aussie and someone from, IIRC, Portugal. At the eye hospital I have never seen a quack who was native to the UK - the sub-continent, South America, Hong-Kong, yes, the UK no. Good people all (though I struggled to understand a word the South American lady was saying, and I not sure she understood me) and I have no complaints about the treatment from any of them (unlike that received from the Brits in the renal unit).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Hall, assuming UKIP gets a leader one day, they should adopt it as a policy. Lib Dems, Greens and Labour will oppose, Conservatives probably too.

Populist with zero cost, an easy hit for the purples.
  • Options
    For our Yorkshire men and Londoners

Telegraph Archives
    Even though boot and shoe prices are going up in London, residents don't appear to be turning to clogs instead https://t.co/EcQyQGNbWq
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I take comfort from the fact that most of the hospital doctors I have come into contact with over the past few years are foreign and probably don't give a toss about UK politics.''

It mystifies me why we don;t target Russia for doctors, engineers and stuff. I'm sure they've got some great people and it would annoy the cr8p out of Putin to see his top bods out the door.
  • Options

Big mistake, IMHO.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

If teachers went on strike for a full week the public would crucify us. But it is most unlikely anyone would die as a result.

I really wonder if the junior doctors have thought this through. Even their own union wants to stop this, but they seem to be going on more or less for the hell of it.

I don't think it will end well for them. Apart from anything else, a massive rise in recalcitrant patients seems likely.
    Two old school friends of mine are JDs and are all for the action. They're also Corbynistas.
    Not sure I'd be comfortable being treated by soembody who thought Jeremy Corbyn had the cure for society's ills. Or who was stupid enough to think he was intelligent or honest.
    I take comfort from the fact that most of the hospital doctors I have come into contact with over the past few years are foreign and probably don't give a toss about UK politics.

The last time I was in A&E the senior chap was a German and his sidekick, obviously under training, was Kiwi. The time before that I had an Aussie and someone from, IIRC, Portugal. At the eye hospital I have never seen a quack who was native to the UK - the sub-continent, South America, Hong-Kong, yes, the UK no. Good people all (though I struggled to understand a word the South American lady was saying, and I not sure she understood me) and I have no complaints about the treatment from any of them (unlike that received from the Brits in the renal unit).
    A good point Mr Llama. My GP is a Spaniard and I certainly have no complaints about the quality of his care.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil
    If you think Clinton v Trump is an "ugly baby" contest just wait til the French presidential elections if it's Hollande v Sarkozy ...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Brilliant pix and caption

Fox News
    "I will never, ever disrespect Gold Star families who've made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation." - #Hillary https://t.co/NiFsHDc6Zm
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Mr. Hall, assuming UKIP gets a leader one day, they should adopt it as a policy. Lib Dems, Greens and Labour will oppose, Conservatives probably too.

Populist with zero cost, an easy hit for the purples.

What would be the % of muslims that are in favour of banning the burqa? If 5% of Brits are Muslim and they split 50/50 its more like 3 in 4 British non muslims want it banned

That said, Opinion Polls are rubbish aren't they?

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

A good point Mr Llama. My GP is a Spaniard and I certainly have no complaints about the quality of his care.
    Thought this might be apropos:

https://twitter.com/mcdonnelljp/status/771032934308515841
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is an "alternative manifesto" next time. It doesn't need to be coordinated (although it could be), but I'm sure you will see lots of MPs fleshing out the normal candidate's statement of views into something more detailed. Not really intended to be noticed, but to ensure that they can claim to have been elected on something other than Corbyn's mess of pottage if that subsequently proves useful.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    PlatoSaid said:

Fox News
    "I will never, ever disrespect Gold Star families who've made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation." - #Hillary https://t.co/NiFsHDc6Zm

Doesn't get much support in the comments below.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    ''That said, Opinion Polls are rubbish aren't they?''

Interestingly one of UKIP's prospective leadership candidates proposed exactly this policy, which perhaps explains why they are still at 13% post Brexit.
  • Options
    Sahil Kapur
    -5 is decent for Trump in WI (Romney lost by 7). Trump outperforming MR w/white men, underperforming w/white women.

https://t.co/pdL0y0vnJJ
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    SeanT said:

This is incredible

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/771021661051248640

Do the sneering REMAINIANS not realise how they come across to everyone else?

And why would the BBC give the opinions of an author such an airing? It surely can't be because they have an agenda of their own?
  • Options
    ''Do the sneering REMAINIANS not realise how they come across to everyone else?''

More to the point, why are they interviewing him? who does he represent? and why is this news?
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I take comfort from the fact that most of the hospital doctors I have come into contact with over the past few years are foreign and probably don't give a toss about UK politics.''

It mystifies me why we don;t target Russia for doctors, engineers and stuff. I'm sure they've got some great people and it would annoy the cr8p out of Putin to see his top bods out the door.

Russia certainly has a fine tradition of producing brilliant engineers, scientists and mathematicians (probably something to do with their selective education system under communism). Might be a bit of a problem employing them in anything touching on national security, of course. There again we seem to be content to allow a Chinese company with links to the People's Liberation Army to design and install essential gizmos for our telephone infrastructure*, why worry about the odd Sov working in research or indeed BAe or Rolls Royce.

*Something Australia conspicuously refused to allow. God knows what backdoors and trapdoors Huawei have installed in our internet and telephone networks.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,125
    PlatoSaid said:

Andrew Neil
    If you think Clinton v Trump is an "ugly baby" contest just wait til the French presidential elections if it's Hollande v Sarkozy ...

Plus Le Pen
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

PlatoSaid said:

Fox News

Doesn't get much support in the comments below.
    She's so fake.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    taffys said:

''Do the sneering REMAINIANS not realise how they come across to everyone else?''

More to the point, why are they interviewing him? who does he represent? and why is this news?

On sneering remainians, wouldn't it be poetic justice if Owen Smith got 51.9% of the Labour vote and Corbyn refused to accept defeat....?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This is incredible

I love it. Keeps the inner flames burning as I contemplate a wretched future where Ryanair's UK growth is 6% instead of 15%.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Large chunks of the BBC are turning into the Southbank Show pretending to be political analysis.

There was an immensely amusing Smith & Jones sketch where they get all angry arty-farty whilst wearing black polo necks. Sums it right up.
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

Sooo Independent lol "a huge proportion of the public had no qualms about telling women what to wear"

"The British public want to ban Muslim women from wearing the Islamic veil or burqa by an overwhelming margin of more than two-to-one, a poll has found.

Research by YouGov found hibition by a startling 78 per cent to 12. All major political parties also had a plurality of voters in favour of a ban."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/islam-muslim-veil-burka-ban-burkini-poll-uk-britain-france-a7218386.html

There is a difference between the full face Burka and the Burkini

• Options
    HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

Research by YouGov found hibition by a startling 78 per cent to 12. All major political parties also had a plurality of voters in favour of a ban."

Who said there wasn't?
  • Options
    Who cares what Remainers think? Problem is we have no idea what the government thinks either. That is a serious issue.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Jim Waterson
    OK, how many people knew that Lembit Opik was a BBC Radio Kent presenter these days. https://t.co/mLZihlAjBm

I did, saw him presenting his radio slot at the Kent Show last year
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

Who said there wasn't?
    There were no questions about the Burkini
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904

Who cares what Remainers think? Problem is we have no idea what the government thinks either. That is a serious issue.

Indeed. Although it seems like Newsnight is quite skilled in getting people to promote it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    TudorRose said:

taffys said:

On sneering remainians, wouldn't it be poetic justice if Owen Smith got 51.9% of the Labour vote and Corbyn refused to accept defeat....?
    Serious question. If Smith were to win, and by less than say, 5%, would Corbyn challenge the result in the courts? A third court case over this one election?

Surely even May couldn't be that lucky, but given his total divorce from reality...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

taffys said:

I know. It's fucking ridiculous. Why not ask Noel Edmunds about the burkini ban, or get Bradley Wiggins' opinion on assisted suicide.
    Though I see Sharon Osborne said she voted Leave in the Sunday Times magazine because of immigration, so why not interview her too?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

Large chunks of the BBC are turning into the Southbank Show pretending to be political analysis.

There was an immensely amusing Smith & Jones sketch where they get all angry arty-farty whilst wearing black polo necks. Sums it right up.
    Cut their goolies off. That was a great sketch.
  • Options
    John_M said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Not really, Mr. M. Talk to the good Dr FoxinSox, medicus and gent of this parish, certain specialities are popular with UK native doctors and certain ones are not. Therefore, quacks brought in from overseas are more likely to be found in certain branches of medicine. His own department, and he has not declared what it is, seems from his posts over the past few years to be particularly dependent on overseas recruits.

So, yes, as one would expect most of the quacks are from the UK, and by a long way, but the patients experience depending on their illness, and location, might be very different.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

taffys said:

I know. It's fucking ridiculous. Why not ask Noel Edmunds about the burkini ban, or get Bradley Wiggins' opinion on assisted suicide.
    Though I see Sharon Osborne said she voted Leave in the Sunday Times magazine because of immigration, so why not interview her too?
    Sharon Osborne who voted Leave?, Not in a month of Sundays. - Obviously the BBC doesn’t have an opinion on the referendum, it’s just that the stooges they invariably invite on to waffle about any given subject just happens to tally with the BBC caricature.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    PlatoSaid said:

Fox News

Clinton is a real piece of work. What about the families of those killed in the Benghazi attack...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

There's a brilliant one where they do union boss bloc voting - over who wants tea or coffee.

I'm quite tempted to buy the boxset if it's available.

Drop The Dead Donkey remains my personal favourite - it's so spot on and fast off the mark/clever with current events. Not much sneering or bias which seems the tedious default nowadays.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    SeanT said:

This is incredible

He doesn't seem entirely with it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Indeed. Although it seems like Newsnight is quite skilled in getting people to promote it.
    That really isn't promotion - and you know that as well as I do.
  • Options
    ''Clinton is a real piece of work.''

For me the 'pay to play' stuff when she was at the State Department is the worst.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

PlatoSaid said:

Fox News

Clinton is a real piece of work. What about the families of those killed in the Benghazi attack...
    According to her book she wrote personally and met with those families. I think she has serious questions on the e mails and even more so on pay to play for the Clinton Foundation but Benghazi is in my opinion a non story.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

Who said there wasn't?
    Why would you say that when the article states...

"A separate question asked by YouGov found that 46 per cent of people wanted to ban the burkini, while just 30 per cent opposed such a measure. The French ban has been declared illegal by the country’s courts."
  • Options

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Not really, Mr. M. Talk to the good Dr FoxinSox, medicus and gent of this parish, certain specialities are popular with UK native doctors and certain ones are not. Therefore, quacks brought in from overseas are more likely to be found in certain branches of medicine. His own department, and he has not declared what it is, seems from his posts over the past few years to be particularly dependent on overseas recruits.

So, yes, as one would expect most of the quacks are from the UK, and by a long way, but the patients experience depending on their illness, and location, might be very different.
    I wasn't making any particular point. NHS Wales is incredibly reliant on foreign staff, because the real action is in England. I have been here for 18 years and the only native doctor I've encountered was Jenny's oncologist, who was Scottish. My shrink is Iraqui and my endo is Ghanian.
  • Options
    taffys said:

For me the 'pay to play' stuff when she was at the State Department is the worst.

She's so bent. NBC paid Chelsea over $500k to be a fake celebrity reporter to gain access too.

It's just embarrassing whatever one's politics.
  • Options
    taffys said:

She's so bent. NBC paid Chelsea over $500k to be a fake celebrity reporter to gain access too.

It's just embarrassing whatever one's politics.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

They told us today. They're going for a bespoke deal. No off-the-shelf EEA.

This may be a mistake, or it may not. But they are getting on with it. HMG is not going to lay out explicit demands and red lines yet - if ever - as they are about to go into very tough negotiations, where flexibility and compromise will be key.

Sensible Remainers should over their grief, accept we are leaving, and do their best to engineer the Brexit they find most tolerable. To your credit, you've done that already. Weeping luvvies like McEwan just come across as whining idiots.

I am genuinely interested to see what happens. I just cannot see how the Tories square the circle. Saying we want it all is not going to be a sustainable position. Some very, very hard choices will have to be made.

I suspect the McEwan interview is a bit more wide-ranging than his views on Brexit. My guess is that this may be just one topic in a wider profile. That's pretty standard for such pieces in print and on the telly, isn't it?

• Options

It really isn't, Mr. Observer, not yet. The government has been in place for only a few weeks and in the holiday season and with an issue most of the big nobs in the civil service thought would never happen. It is also an issue of immense importance, so needs time to consider and work out what negotiating strategy the UK will adopt.

Leaping in without adequate forethought would really be a serious issue. I would expect a debate in Parliament, not a vote but a debate so that MPs can have their say, sometime in November, and Article 50 invoked early in the 2017.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

Feels like they're taking a leaf out the daily mail play book, which always benefits from the outrage of lefties I'll watch the interview now
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

There's a brilliant one where they do union boss bloc voting - over who wants tea or coffee.

Drop The Dead Donkey remains my personal favourite - it's so spot on and fast off the mark/clever with current events. Not much sneering or bias which seems the tedious default nowadays.
    I loved the bit with the teddy which the reporter took with him from disaster to disaster.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

I loved the bit with the teddy which the reporter took with him from disaster to disaster.
    Damien Day - isn't he just fab!? And nothing's changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hL_DyvEV84
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,964
    edited August 2016
    Jonathan said:

Yep - take subject that will get most hits on internet/Twitter and use that to promote a longer piece with an author who most people have not heard of. Very good way to attract more viewers.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

Damien Day - isn't he just fab!? And nothing's changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hL_DyvEV84
    Fantastic.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

Does anybody remember the "Junior Hospital Managers" sketch, or rather who did it? I can't find on YouTube!

It included a scene where they made the hospital tower block's lights spell out "ARSE" :lol:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

taffys said:

Sharon Osborne who voted Leave?, Not in a month of Sundays. - Obviously the BBC doesn’t have an opinion on the referendum, it’s just that the stooges they invariably invite on to waffle about any given subject just happens to tally with the BBC caricature.
    Sharon Osborne may not be as intellectual as McEwan but she is richer than him, sharper than him and probably more in tune with the average voter, rather than let McEwan waffle on unchallenged a discussion between the two of them would be far more interesting!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

Jonathan said:

Feels like they're taking a leaf out the daily mail play book, which always benefits from the outrage of lefties I'll watch the interview now

It's pretty standard stuff - gran attention, draw, reader/viewer in. Profiles of young actresses are invariably headlined around their attitudes to screen nudity even though they are only a tiny part of the full interview.

• Options
    MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

Who said there wasn't?

"A separate question asked by YouGov found that 46 per cent of people wanted to ban the burkini, while just 30 per cent opposed such a measure. The French ban has been declared illegal by the country’s courts."
    Well no coverage of that in the headline of the article and while most still want the Burkini banned it is by a much smaller margin and actually smaller than the margin to ban it in France (there may also be some who do not realise the difference between the Burka and Burkini)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2016

I am genuinely interested to see what happens. I just cannot see how the Tories square the circle. Saying we want it all is not going to be a sustainable position. Some very, very hard choices will have to be made.

Although the stuff today was almost entirely pure waffle, I think we are beginning to see the outlines of where the square is going to have rounded edges. The strategy seems to be a red line on freedom of movement, and, given that constraint, negotiate as much access to the Single Market as can be achieved. I think they are resigned to the reality that that means an end to financial passporting and that therefore there will be at least short-term damage to the City. I further think they will try all-out to get tariff- and hassle-free trade in manufactured goods (especially for the car industry, which has most to lose), and that should be attainable as it is very much in both sides' interest and the acquis communitaire which we're already signed up to makes it much easier than negotiating a free-trade agreement from scratch. The main areas of uncertainty on the economic side still relate to services.

Of course this is all subject to the politics of the other 27 EU countries, so no guarantees.
  • Options
    Shape of things to come? Even with the state of UKIP!

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB
    LAB in 3rd place behind UKIP amongst the 65+ segment in this evening’s ICM poll.
    CON 58%
    LAB 15%
    UKIP 16%
    LD 8%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

Who said there wasn't?

Well no coverage of that in the headline of the article and while most still want the Burkini banned it is by a much smaller margin and actually smaller than the margin to ban it in France (there may also be some who do not realise the difference between the Burka and Burkini)
    Very strange to state emphatically

"There were no questions about the Burkini"

then wriggle when it is pointed out that there were, rather than say "Sorry, my mistake"
  • Options
    Kate McCann
    Corbyn says he has changed the whole political atmosphere, gets 40k emails pre-PMQs. Adds: "This genie is not getting back in any bottle".
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

Who said there wasn't?

then wriggle when it is pointed out that there were, rather than say "Sorry, my mistake"
    Well I was writing it on the tube and you posted zero mention of any question on the Burkini, which is actually the more relevant question at the moment, so yes I may have been mistaken but you also failed to post one of the key points from the poll
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Sahil Kapur
    -5 is decent for Trump in WI (Romney lost by 7). Trump outperforming MR w/white men, underperforming w/white women.

Second poll from local Marquette:

Wisconsin

Hillary 45
    Trump 42

Hillary 41
    Trump 38
    Johnson 10
    Stein 4

twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/771035593916747776

If Trump is 3-5 points behind in Wisconsin, a state which hates his guts, then he is definitely withing striking distance of Hillary nationally.

On my average daily tracking poll Hillary's lead is down to just 3 points.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

This is incredible

"I think we made a mistake ... at not getting across what was at stake ... at getting that clear"

Which planet was he living on? Obviously not the same one as Project Fear.

The mistake was not failing to make the stakes clear. The problem was being unable to convince the UK public that the EU arrangement actually on balance served the British interest. And, in fairness to the Remain campaign, for the likes of me, that was always out of their hands. The deck had already been stacked against being able to do so by the EC and the failure of the EU to take our concerns seriously.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sahil Kapur

Second poll from local Marquette:

Wisconsin

Hillary 45
    Trump 42

Hillary 41
    Trump 38
    Johnson 10
    Stein 4

twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/771035593916747776

If Trump is 3-5 points behind in Wisconsin, a state which hates his guts, then he is definitely withing striking distance of Hillary nationally.
    I'm picking up a distinct 'we can do this vibe' from my US tweeters. It's got quite a Brexit feel about it. A sort of disbelieving optimism against all odds.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

Who said there wasn't?

Well I was writing it on the tube and you posted zero mention of any question on the Burkini, which is actually the more relevant question at the moment, so yes I may have been mistaken but you also failed to post one of the key points from the poll
    Are you a politician?

"yes I may have been mistaken" - translation "I was mistaken"

"you posted zero mention of any question on the Burkini," - I posted a link, which you didn't read, then argued about pleading ignorance as a defence

• Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

This is incredible

Who is this person?
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

Who said there wasn't?

Are you a politician?

"you posted zero mention of any question on the Burkini," - I posted a link, which you didn't read, then argued about pleading ignorance as a defence

You quoted selectively from the article and missed out one of the key points, if you are quoting in future I suggest you do so in full rather than expecting people automatically to find out the information from a link when they do not even know it is there!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

Who said there wasn't?

Are you a politician?

You quoted selectively from the article and missed out one of the key points, if you are quoting in future I suggest you do so in full rather than expecting people automatically to find out the information from a link when they do not even know it is there!
    He quoted highlights then posted a link to the full article. You replied categorically without having bothered to read the article that was linked to. This is not Mr Hall's fault!
  • Options
    "Saying we want it all is not going to be a sustainable position. Some very, very hard choices will have to be made.

Well, the best negotiators I have ever met go in asking for all they want and bargain down from there. They do not walk in saying this is the minimum we will accept and we are desperate for a deal. See Cameron's fiasco for a recent example.

As I have said before on here, if a party at the negotiating table is not prepared to get up and walk away without a deal then they are begging not negotiating. I don't think TM is a lady that will be prepared to beg. I do think, however, that the EU mindset is such that they cannot conceive or someone being willing to walk away. They will therefore, very probably, read the situation wrongly (as they did with Cameron). WTO rules is therefore the outcome I expect, and I doubt it will be a disaster for the UK.

As to "hard, hard choices" - that is the language, some might say spin, of Gordon Brown. In leadership there really are no such thing. One simply has to do what has to be done to achieve the desired or mandated outcome. One can feel sorry for, and perhaps do one's best to mitigate the consequences, for those hurt in the process but the decision itself is not hard.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

Who said there wasn't?

Are you a politician?

You quoted selectively from the article and is there!
    He quoted highlights then posted a link to the full article. You replied categorically without having bothered to read the article that was linked to. This is not Mr Hall's fault!
    He obviously did not quote one of the key highlights, posting links are supposed to provide context after the key points have been made
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016
    runnymede said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

This is incredible

ttps://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/771021661051248640

Who is this person?
    An English novelist and screenwriter. - He does appear to be not quite with it and to be fair merely indulging in fantasy, rather than for the democratic process to be rejected. He's V old.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    MTimT said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

This is incredible

"I think we made a mistake ... at not getting across what was at stake ... at getting that clear"

Which planet was he living on? Obviously not the same one as Project Fear.

The mistake was not failing to make the stakes clear. The problem was being unable to convince the UK public that the EU arrangement actually on balance served the British interest. And, in fairness to the Remain campaign, for the likes of me, that was always out of their hands. The deck had already been stacked against being able to do so by the EC and the failure of the EU to take our concerns seriously.
    'Our concerns'? You belong to the Pax Americana school of Brexit whose position depends on the US not following suit and electing a President who will put the US interest first. It's a myopically decadent world view that is being proven to be incorrect day by day.
  • Options
    How has Nigel Farage's speech been a roaring success in America exactly? It is hardly as if Trump is roaring ahead in the polls all of sudden. Clinton is still leading in most national polls (with the exception of LA Times).

Also, LOL at Trump going to Mexico. Presumably he'll explain to Mexicans why they should pay for the wall he'll build.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

Who said there wasn't?

"."

Are you a politician?

He obviously did not quote one of the key highlights, posting links are supposed to provide context after the key points have been made
    Are you crazy? Being unable to apologise or admit being wrong over something as trivial as this is probably a psychological condition.

I posted the first three paragraphs of the article , and a link to the whole piece. I think it is frowned upon to post whole articles on here?

It isn't my fault you chose to argue incorrectly about a latter point in the article because you hadn't read it!
  • Options

Also, LOL at Trump going to Mexico. Presumably he'll explain to Mexicans why they should pay for the wall he'll build.

Rob Reiner @robreiner
    Clearly we're not sending our best to Mexico. We're sending liars. We're sending narcissists. We're sending sociopaths.
  • Options
    ''I am genuinely interested to see what happens. I just cannot see how the Tories square the circle. Saying we want it all is not going to be a sustainable position. Some very, very hard choices will have to be made. ''

The freedom of movement/single market issue is clearly extremely contentious in the upper echelons of the party behind the scenes.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

So what if he didn't quote a figure, where does that give you the right to claim they didn't ask the question?

It is standard operating procedure that pollsters always ask many more questions than just the headline ones. Before anyone ever says that a question wasn't asked the basic due diligence would be to check that first. You didn't do that, so you made a dishonest claim. On a betting site dominated by polls at times, such misrepresentation is shocking and you should apologise. Conduct a basic checking of facts before you make an outright claim that a question wasn't asked at all.
  • Options
    So, over in Spain, the Cortes has again voted against Rajoy as PM. Hard to see where things go from here. He needs to find six more votes from somewhere. Presumably, he'll be throwing a lot more at the smaller regional parties - though not the Basques or the Catalans, who would never vote for him.
  • Options

Rob Reiner @robreiner
    Clearly we're not sending our best to Mexico. We're sending liars. We're sending narcissists. We're sending sociopaths.
    ?

I thought you liked Trump?
  • Options
    North Carolina Emerson Trump 45 Clinton 43 Johnson 8 Stein 2
    http://media.wix.com/ugd/3bebb2_3a8db9da60ec4ceb961732ea0d849022.pdf

New York Emerson Clinton 52 Trump 34 Johnson 8 Stein 3
    http://media.wix.com/ugd/3bebb2_7e2146163ed04e60b05172ef8e530182.pdf
  • Options

Rob Reiner @robreiner
    ?

I thought you liked Trump?
    I can still appreciate a good line. :)
  • Options
    Chris Terry
    Spain once again fails to form a government. 170-180 in vote of confidence. https://t.co/9zk1YYyVo6
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So what if he didn't quote a figure, where does that give you the right to claim they didn't ask the question?

It is standard operating procedure that pollsters always ask many more questions than just the headline ones. Before anyone ever says that a question wasn't asked the basic due diligence would be to check that first. You didn't do that, so you made a dishonest claim. On a betting site dominated by polls at times, such misrepresentation is shocking and you should apologise. Conduct a basic checking of facts before you make an outright claim that a question wasn't asked at all.
    He posted line after line about the Burka, not one word about the Burkini, how am I supposed to know the poll included a question from the Burkini from that? Pollsters may well ask more questions, if they do add the key points, links are supposed to provide context and methodology. The misrepresentation if anything was to omit to mention perhaps one of the key poll findings when posting, if posting polls ALL key findings should be included.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He posted line after line about the Burka, not one word about the Burkini, how am I supposed to know the poll included a question from the Burkini from that? Pollsters may well ask more questions, if they do add the key points, links are supposed to provide context and methodology. The misrepresentation if anything was to omit to mention perhaps one of the key poll findings when posting, if posting polls ALL key findings should be included.
    You are crazy, I will leave it at that.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Chris Terry
    Spain once again fails to form a government. 170-180 in vote of confidence. https://t.co/9zk1YYyVo6

When you think about it, does it really matter if Spain has a government any more? Inside the EU's financial straightjacket, what decisions is it really taking?
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

Who said there wasn't?

"."

Are you a politician?

He quoted highlights then posted a link
    Are you crazy? Being unable to apologise or admit being wrong over something as trivial as this is probably a psychological condition.

I posted the first three paragraphs of the article , and a link to the whole piece. I think it is frowned upon to post whole articles on here?

It isn't my fault you chose to argue incorrectly about a latter point in the article because you hadn't read it!
    I did not actually I said I was mistaken in the very first paragraph I responded to you in, for which I apologise. However I have not seen one word of mention from you of apology for completely failing to mention one of the key poll findings in your post! You do not need to quote verbatim the entire article, you only needed 1 sentence to include the Burkini findings too
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

runnymede said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

This is incredible

ttps://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/771021661051248640

Who is this person?
    An English novelist and screenwriter. - He does appear to be not quite with it and to be fair merely indulging in fantasy, rather than for the democratic process to be rejected. He's V old.
    Does he post on here?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited August 2016

Although the stuff today was almost entirely pure waffle, I think we are beginning to see the outlines of where the square is going to have rounded edges. The strategy seems to be a red line on freedom of movement, and, given that constraint, negotiate as much access to the Single Market as can be achieved. I think they are resigned to the reality that that means an end to financial passporting and that therefore there will be at least short-term damage to the City. I further think they will try all-out to get tariff- and hassle-free trade in manufactured goods (especially for the car industry, which has most to lose), and that should be attainable as it is very much in both sides' interest and the acquis communitaire which we're already signed up to makes it much easier than negotiating a free-trade agreement from scratch. The main areas of uncertainty on the economic side still relate to services.

Of course this is all subject to the politics of the other 27 EU countries, so no guarantees.
    Yeah. Sounds about right from the tea leaves. Cars both in and out is clearly in German (and French I guess) interests too so something should be hammered out, and more generally Continental goods vs our services seems in everyone's interest. I suppose the constraint the other way in terms of the City would be the Continentals might want some sort of regulation of it or they might end up with a totally free wheeling huge offshore financial centre to keep them awake at night, but whether that's enough to allow passporting is a pretty moot point, I guess ( guessing because I'm not a City type by any stretch!). Question is is that enough red meat for say the French to sell to their voters along the lines of " ok we compromised on freedom of movement but we've tamed the beastly Anglo Saxon City"

"Freedom of movement" is something of a spectrum ( freedom to just work in high paid jobs, median pay, 80% of median earnings, or claim full benefits, or part benefits after contributing for a number of years etc etc?). Lots of potential room to compromise ( which I was well open to prior to the renegotiation but Merkel et al wouldn't budge an inch), providing they don't take the absolutist Juncker line again - in which case to hell with them. It's a red line.
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Think of me what you wish but in future when posting polls please do not omit some of the key findings
  • Options
    SPIN South West
    Spotted outside Fine Gael's headquarters! #AppleTax https://t.co/xR8TuVl4AL
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    HYUFD said:

North Carolina Emerson Trump 45 Clinton 43 Johnson 8 Stein 2
    http://media.wix.com/ugd/3bebb2_3a8db9da60ec4ceb961732ea0d849022.pdf

New York Emerson Clinton 52 Trump 34 Johnson 8 Stein 3
    http://media.wix.com/ugd/3bebb2_7e2146163ed04e60b05172ef8e530182.pdf

NC is a tie by 538's adjusted poll method.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You are supposed to know it by reading the linked to article or the actual poll details before falsely claiming a negative. It is utterly dishonest and disreputable to falsely claim a negative if you never bothered to check your facts first.
  • Options
    Rumour here in Greece tonight that Andy Burnham set to sign for Liverpool, Everton, man city and man utd but he's struggling for fitness....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MontyHall said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Think of me what you wish but in future when posting polls please do not omit some of the key findings
    Actually no, what you are suggesting is heavily frowned upon and an illegal breach of copyright. Posting highlights only and a link to full details is all that is permitted under Fair Use.
  • Options
    Stephen Bush
    A plurality of Liberal Democrat voters have a weird idea of the word "liberal" it seems. https://t.co/MNKR1ixIM8
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Nick Palmer's summary looks pretty optimistic for Labour to me. The chances of some Labour MPs deciding that a Corbynite Labour party is not one that it could support in preference to some of the alternatives looks high to me. I don't see how you can regain confidence in a leader that you had no confidence in simply because members have confidence in that leader.

A new party's prospects will look pretty fair in a few months' time when the gilt has come off the current government (as it will once it comes off the fence on its Brexit strategy). If it can define itself with a new vision rather than not being a not-Corbyn Labour party, it might well find that the vacant centre ground is ripe for the taking.

I do take the point about the lack of quality among possible defectors though.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On the subject of banning the burka, it would be a shame to see pantomime horses outlawed. I'm not so bothered about Mr Blobby though.
This discussion has been closed.