Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on a united Ireland referendum happening by the end

1235»

Comments

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    JackW said:

North Carolina .. Arizona - ORC/CNN

NC - Clinton 44 .. Trump 43
    AZ - Clinton 38 .. Trump 43

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/24/politics/arizona-north-carolina-polls-trump-clinton/index.html

A few clever people that I follow on the internet suggest that the best guideline to Trump success is % of non-college-educated white voters.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Scott_P said:
    So Corbyn is familiar with jam packing as well as ram packing.
  • Options
    Is it the lagershed? Can I tell that jam joke?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

It's 32C in my flat.

Help

Time to splash out on air conditioning.
    Not even sure it's allowed. My flat is in a listed building. Grade 2 terrace.

I am reduced to plonking extra ice in my G&T.

Get a ceiling fan.

Awesome things
    Or maybe a punkah-wallah. How well would that go down in Primrose Hill? They would hate the overtones of Empire, but have to concede you are giving gainful employment in an excellent working environment to an economic migrant.....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Speedy said:
    *raises hand*
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Speedy said:
    There's a 'ram jam' joke in there somewhere for @TSE's morning thread.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    SeanT said:

SandraM said:

Re: traingate. Did nobody ever stand in the days before the rail service was privatised? I remember travelling to school in the days of British Rail and 9 out of 10 times we had to stand.

BTW I looked up ram packed for its definition and then wished I hadn't( I got an urban slang definition).

Oh my innocent mind, I've just googled that too.
    *ignores rampacked*

*sorta*

I can remember being on a BR train in the early 1980s, taking me and my friends back to university in London - UCL - after the Christmas break. I started the journey in Hereford and my mates joined me in Worcester. Thinking about it, it must have been 82 or 83.

It was a harsh winter. A fair bit of snow.

The train ground to a halt somewhere near Evesham. The lights went out. The heating failed. Everyone ended up huddled in the freezing dark, on the stationary train, around bottles of wine we bought from some off-licence still open in the nearest village.

Great fun. We were young. We eventually limped into London around midnight

But looking back what strikes me is how we took this as normal. No one really complained. British Rail was shit. Britain was still a bit shit. It was a given.
    You are right there, Mr. T., back in the early eighties and before people put up with all sorts of crap that they would never tolerate today. On the other hand there were a lot upsides which have long since disappeared For example, staying with the railways, the first class dining car where chaps in white jackets would serve proper meals at tables covered with a fresh, starched table cloth. I particularly remember the BR breakfasts, including proper kippers, all cooked on the train to order. On Southern Region trains we had buffet cars, where amongst other things, cheese on toast, smothered in worcester sauce, could be purchased to soak up the alcohol, which was also freely available and all at very reasonable prices.

Better then or now? We can't go back, obviously but I do not remember my life being particularly shit. Actually, for all the strikes and failures that the people bring up now when looking at that seventies I had a bloody fantastic time.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Speedy said:
    'Political scandals Rated - From Ram Jams to Cam Ham'
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    corporeal said:

A few clever people that I follow on the internet suggest that the best guideline to Trump success is % of non-college-educated white voters.

A good guide but a better parameter are college educated white voters. Trump needs to pull them round to have any chance. Not happening presently.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

You are right there, Mr. T., back in the early eighties and before people put up with all sorts of crap that they would never tolerate today. On the other hand there were a lot upsides which have long since disappeared

Red Star parcels was a uniquely brilliant service.

There was (is) no better way to get something between Edinburgh and London same day.

There was also prior to that a vehicle service. Someone set up a courier service by driving a loaded van on the train at one end with someone else driving it off at the other.

All gone.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sandpit said:

With Jezza it certainly wouldn't be "Jam and Jerusalem".
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Speedy said:
    Oh Black BettyDiane, bam-ba-lam
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Is it the lagershed? Can I tell that jam joke?

That's for the whiskey-shed, and probably not even then.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Speedy said:
    Nooooooo!!!!!!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SandraM said:

Re: traingate. Did nobody ever stand in the days before the rail service was privatised? I remember travelling to school in the days of British Rail and 9 out of 10 times we had to stand.

BTW I looked up ram packed for its definition and then wished I hadn't( I got an urban slang definition).

Oh my innocent mind, I've just googled that too.
    *ignores rampacked*

*sorta*

I can remember being on a BR train in the early 1980s, taking me and my friends back to university in London - UCL - after the Christmas break. I started the journey in Hereford and my mates joined me in Worcester. Thinking about it, it must have been 82 or 83.

It was a harsh winter. A fair bit of snow.

The train ground to a halt somewhere near Evesham. The lights went out. The heating failed. Everyone ended up huddled in the freezing dark, on the stationary train, around bottles of wine we bought from some off-licence still open in the nearest village.

Great fun. We were young. We eventually limped into London around midnight

But looking back what strikes me is how we took this as normal. No one really complained. British Rail was shit. Britain was still a bit shit. It was a given.
    The difference now is that when you finally got to Paddington you would get your collar felt for trespassing when you hopped off and walked up the track to the off licence....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

You are right there, Mr. T., back in the early eighties and before people put up with all sorts of crap that they would never tolerate today. On the other hand there were a lot upsides which have long since disappeared

Red Star parcels was a uniquely brilliant service.

There was (is) no better way to get something between Edinburgh and London same day.

There was also prior to that a vehicle service. Someone set up a courier service by driving a loaded van on the train at one end with someone else driving it off at the other.

All gone.
    I had forgotten about Red Star, and it was operated from most semi-major railway stations. I remember toddling down to Worthing station one morning with a parcel for an old mucker in Penrith. He was able to pick it up from his local Red Star office at about tea time. A terrific service, and again very reasonably priced.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Did I just catch a line on the news saying that Corbyn has now admitted walking past empty seats before doing his little piece to camera? One of my children changed the channel before I caught it all.

I am seriously wondering if Smith is worth a few quid.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Did I just catch a line on the news saying that Corbyn has now admitted walking past empty seats before doing his little piece to camera?

Yes.

He wanted to sit next to his wife, apparently.

Not in first class, obviously. And not on the floor either...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Did I just catch a line on the news saying that Corbyn has now admitted walking past empty seats before doing his little piece to camera?

Yes.

Was she even there or is that another lie? She wasn't in any of the published photos including the ones where he was sitting in his seat.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    What's wrong with making jam ?

Jezza has gone up in my estimation. Not sure it will be to the same standard as my better half's mum's jam though :)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Was she even there or is that another lie? She wasn't in any of the published photos including the ones where he was sitting in his seat.

Photoshopped out by MI5...
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

It's 32C in my flat.

Help

Time to splash out on air conditioning.
    Not even sure it's allowed. My flat is in a listed building. Grade 2 terrace.

I am reduced to plonking extra ice in my G&T.

Try stripping to your nine pack.
  • Options
    I am not sure jezza gets this leadership lark. Prime Minister, Prime Minister we have a national emergency...go away, you are on private land, can't you see I am making jam.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    DavidL said:

Yes. A fellow traveller also after a double seat admitted much the same 20+ years ago. The pressure is likewise building on Corbyn to admit that "although I pretend to be a bit anarchic on the telly I'm a total farty git"

(See from 3:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPUjjhO_DpU

• Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Yes.

Otherwise known as the invisible woman.
  • Options

The Lady Vanishes...
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

JackW said:

You seem to be chortling a lot about polls showing Trump getting around 20% of the AA vote. He'll do better than expected and that demographic may even be what swings it for him.

So laughable you should be on the stage.

McCain and Romney managed 4/5% of the AA vote. Your contention that Trump will outperform their result by 100/200/300% are the musings of the deluded.
    McCain and Romney were up against an African American candidate. If you go back to previous elections the Republican candidate averaged around 10% which should be Trump's baseline.
    Half of that will be his ceiling. What evidence do you have for your claim?
    The many 'outlier' polls that cause JackW such mirth.
    They are called outliers for a reason. Do you have a link to those many polls.

Ones that are from the last couple weeks.
  • Options
    I can't wait for jezza doing a GE campaign. It will be like the thick of it on speed.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    "32C" at Sean's place tonight.

He could at least call her "love" if he can't remember her real name
  • Options

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Yes.

She is quite striking, there are pictures of her in this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3233254/Third-Mrs-Corbyn-steps-spotlight-husband-win-Labour-leadership-seen-day-charge.html

She keeps a very low profile. There are various pictures of Corbyn arriving at the Newcastle debate and she is not in them. There are some pictures of the audience but I can't see her there either. She may be there. Or he may have told another stupid lie.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

The BBC news is a fucking disgrace

The way they report that awful murder in Queensland you'd think it was just a domestic. They tell us that a Frenchman apparently "shouted in Arabic" but then they quickly move on.

They don't mention that he shouted "Allahu Akhbar" as he chopped her to death.

We are being lied to.

Are you surprised.... locally known as Dave the right wing extremist....the Islamic reader murdered in a backlash attack...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    That is a very strange story, Mr. JS. Camber is not a particularly dangerous beach, gently sloping with no dangerous currents that I have ever heard of or experienced. For five men to die in the water in a short space of time seems beyond normal probability. Stinging Jellyfish washed in close might fit, even then it is a stretch.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

I am not sure jezza gets this leadership lark. Prime Minister, Prime Minister we have a national emergency...go away, you are on private land, can't you see I am making jam.

Theresa May was hiking in the Alps and still managed to give Liam Fox and Boris a bollocking.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Yes.

She is quite striking, there are pictures of her in this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3233254/Third-Mrs-Corbyn-steps-spotlight-husband-win-Labour-leadership-seen-day-charge.html

She keeps a very low profile. There are various pictures of Corbyn arriving at the Newcastle debate and she is not in them. There are some pictures of the audience but I can't see her there either. She may be there. Or he may have told another stupid lie.
    I am sure beardy branson has looked at the CCTV.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    I am calm, serene and my being is centred. The secret to my spiritual success is never so much as glancing at BBC news. You too can be as one with the Cosmos by following my simple path to enlightenment and tranquility.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Yes.

Maybe she just decided to catch up on some shopping in Newcastle while JC made his big speech, then joined him later for the trip back to London. That would explain why no-one has any photos of her.

Alternatively, they're doubling down on the bulls*!t and think that a bunch of bored hacks in fully silly season mode aren't going to go digging some more.

Gets popcorn, and a copy of the CCTV video from the train!
  • Options
    glw said:

Theresa May was hiking in the Alps and still managed to give Liam Fox and Boris a bollocking.
    If she is against lying corbyn, she could stay in the Alps for the whole of the GE campaign & still walk it.
  • Options
    @Thescreamingeagles Look at this beauty I matched on the exchanges

Emily Thornberry 150 £3.00 £447.00
    Ref: xx Matched: 09:06 21-Aug-16
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The way they report that awful murder in Queensland you'd think it was just a domestic. They tell us that a Frenchman apparently "shouted in Arabic" but then they quickly move on.

We are being lied to.

Yes. It does look that way. Which is sad because if people feel there is a global cover up then conspiracy theories grow and trust for the authorities falls and people think huh "if they don't do anything I'll take the law into my own hands" like Britain First have repeatedly called for and done.

If its not a terror attack then what the hell is it? Ffs
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

Utterly humiliating BBC News for Corbyn. Awful, awful.

Did they play the ASK ME A QUESTION ON THE NHS rant in full?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Lady Nugee vs Richard Burgon in the next Labour leadership race, you know it's going to happen
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Breaking - Several Gunmen Inside American University Campus In Kabul
    http://news.sky.com/story/several-gunmen-inside-american-university-campus-in-kabul-10550150
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Yes.

Maybe she just decided to catch up on some shopping in Newcastle while JC made his big speech, then joined him later for the trip back to London. That would explain why no-one has any photos of her.

Alternatively, they're doubling down on the bulls*!t and think that a bunch of bored hacks in fully silly season mode aren't going to go digging some more.

Gets popcorn, and a copy of the CCTV video from the train!
    In the video on the train you can see a brown haired woman but this same woman can be seen in this photo: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/labour-leadership-debate-jeremy-corbyn-11738599

So it is not her. There might be another smaller brown haired woman ahead of Corbyn. Hard to tell.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Pulpstar said:

Lady Nugee vs Richard Burgon in the next Labour leadership race, you know it's going to happen
    Totting up my Lab book I give it a fair value of £595, with Owen Smith at -183.

29.2 Burgon
    21.1 Nandy
    13.6 Lewis
    13.1 McDonnell
    11.5 Thornberry my best results.

• Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    Wardrum watch

I've just listened to a BBC Radio 4 programme about how Ukrainian nationalists are celebrating 25 years of what the BBC calls the country's "return" to independence. Is Britain retrospectively changing sides in WW2 or what?

The BBC guy also said that Ukraine was in both Europe and Asia. (Get a map, mate!) And, completely without any balance, Ukrainians were interviewed who said that the conflict in East Ukraine - or Novorossiya - is the start of a world war. The BBC also said that the Ukrainian nation had existed for 1000 years (sic).
  • Options

glw said:

If she is against lying corbyn, she could stay in the Alps for the whole of the GE campaign & still walk it.
    The 2020 Tory election campaign in full, a leaflet to every home with these words in big letters.

PM Corbyn?
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Speedy said:

Just as I mentioned the wide ranges and contradicting direction of 2016 polling:

Arizona, CNN/ORC

Trump 43
    Hillary 38
    Johnson 12
    Stein 4

NC, CNN/ORC

Hillary 44
    Trump 43
    Johnson 11

As I said Trump doesn't have much of a problem with Hispanics lately (Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico show it), his problems are with white women and african americans.

I would hardly say that. He is doing a lot worse than romney with that group.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Wardrum watch

I've just listened to a BBC Radio 4 programme about how Ukrainian nationalists are celebrating 25 years of what the BBC calls the country's "return" to independence. Is Britain retrospectively changing sides in WW2 or what?

The BBC guy also said that Ukraine was in both Europe and Asia. (Get a map, mate!) And, completely without any balance, Ukrainians were interviewed who said that the conflict in East Ukraine - or Novorossiya - is the start of a world war. The BBC also said that the Ukrainian nation had existed for 1000 years (sic).

Ukraine has been variously parts of both the polish and russian empires I think
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

I rarely watch the news, but watching that bit gives me two thoughts.

1) Yes, Jeremy when under pressure can be a pompous arse, a veil of geniality falls away as he not only is irritated, but affronted to be questioned even when questions are arising because of his needless fibbing. No politician will like being questioned, particular on trivial matters, but when it's your fault you'd think purely to learn a lesson they'd handle it with more grace.

2) Being a campaign director, media flunkey or SPad must be a soul destroying line of work. You have to go out and say the most incredible bullsh*t, say it with a straight face and seem like you believe it no matter if there is direct contradictory evidence, and at times, with any boss but particularly awful ones, that has to test your loyalty to party and man to the absolute limit. It reminds me of painful clips of White House press secretaries trying doggedly to stick to a line, and as one commenter put it, trying to be unequivocal in their equivocation.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    nunu said:

SeanT said:

We are being lied to.

Yes. It does look that way. Which is sad because if people feel there is a global cover up then conspiracy theories grow and trust for the authorities falls and people think huh "if they don't do anything I'll take the law into my own hands" like Britain First have repeatedly called for and done.

All the BBC news that I have heard on the radio has reported the attacker as saying Allah Akbar; as did Channel 4 news. If it is a cover up then it is a pretty pisspoor one, as bad as a Corbyn photo stunt.

The sad truth is that these attacks are sufficiently common to be not very newsworthy any more.
  • Options
    glw said:

The 2020 Tory election campaign in full, a leaflet to every home with these words in big letters.

PM Corbyn?

The accompanying social media campaign

Google Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29.2 Burgon
    21.1 Nandy
    13.6 Lewis
    13.1 McDonnell

Any of those as a proposition will split the party.

Burgon would be hilarious. Did he ever manage any meetings in the city?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

PM Corbyn?

The accompanying social media campaign

Google Jeremy Corbyn
    The targetted Facebook attack videos will be something to behold. This man can't even find an empty seat on a train let alone run the country...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29.2 Burgon
    21.1 Nandy
    13.6 Lewis
    13.1 McDonnell

I still can't believe I wrote a thread tipping Burgon at 100/1 and he's now 33/1
  • Options
    Question on Twitter

When Jezza said he was making jam. was he in fact making ram?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Not in full, so not as bad as it could have been (or not as good - the great thing about Corbyn is his supporters and opponents will be equally happy to see it, as for the former it shows their man dealing with the biased mainstream press)
  • Options
    @afneil: Nick Cohen in The Spectator.
    Long and detailed read
    Why you shouldn’t vote for Jeremy Corbyn https://t.co/OGZvQQDb0G
  • Options
    SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

We are being lied to.

All the BBC news that I have heard on the radio has reported the attacker as saying Allah Akbar; as did Channel 4 news. If it is a cover up then it is a pretty pisspoor one, as bad as a Corbyn photo stunt.

The sad truth is that these attacks are sufficiently common to be not very newsworthy any more.
    The BBC TV news at 6 and at 10 both carefully avoided mentioning "Allahu Akhbar". And it's TV that counts.

Indeed this reinforces the sense there is some cover-up (albeit crap). Who took the editorial decision to excise references on TV to possibly terrorist chants, if BBC radio had already cited them?

It stinks.
    "An arabic phrase" does make the point of the motivation though.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

We are being lied to.

My guess, FWIW - not much - is that this really might just be some random nutter - a sexually repressed Muslim Frenchman who was driven nuts by an apparently very beautiful British backpacker girl, and he lost it, and killed her, and in his moment of insanity he found some religious justification for his act. Kill the evil kaffir slut, who tempted him.

Maybe. So not terrorism. But definitely culturally and religiously tinged, and probably a "hate crime", if that phrase has any value.

Either way, there have been half a dozen of these Allahu Akhbar crimes in the last fortnight, and every single fucking time the authorities are superkeen to explain them away as random nutters, and coincidental patterns, and dope smoking schizos with a broken heart. Bollocks.

We know from Rotherham and Cologne that authorities will conspire to hoodwink the public about "awkward" crimes. It is happening again. It's fairly despicable.

The new normal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3756764/This-isn-t-France-French-Muslim-women-face-arrest-covering-seaside-group-traditional-Islamic-dress-enjoy-paddle-Brighton-beach.html
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:
    That is a very strange story, Mr. JS. Camber is not a particularly dangerous beach, gently sloping with no dangerous currents that I have ever heard of or experienced. For five men to die in the water in a short space of time seems beyond normal probability. Stinging Jellyfish washed in close might fit, even then it is a stretch.
    It is hugely peculiar. Booze?
    Maybe, but five within about an hour, it seems very unlikely. Even if all five were part of a pissed up group one might expect after the first one to get into difficulties the other four might rally round or get out of the water. It is very odd.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29.2 Burgon
    21.1 Nandy
    13.6 Lewis
    13.1 McDonnell

I still can't believe I wrote a thread tipping Burgon at 100/1 and he's now 33/1
    I've got the value of the ever present "someone else" at +5 :)

The farting commie strikes again !
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited August 2016

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29.2 Burgon
    21.1 Nandy
    13.6 Lewis
    13.1 McDonnell

I can't believe his odds aren't a million to one (those are the odds I give for the entire Labour PLP bar Burgon being wiped out in a freak asteroid strike).
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29.2 Burgon
    21.1 Nandy
    13.6 Lewis
    13.1 McDonnell

I can't believe his odds aren't a million to one (those are the odds I give for the entire Labour PLP bar Burgon being wiped out in a freak asteroid strike).
    You really should have more respect for Cambridge educated solicitors.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sun
    Tomorrow's front page: Mystery as five clothed men drown at packed UK beach. https://t.co/59r2zufdhP https://t.co/IXB8kIOY7y
  • Options

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29.2 Burgon
    21.1 Nandy
    13.6 Lewis
    13.1 McDonnell

You really should have more respect for Cambridge educated solicitors.
    Sarcasm is so difficult to detect on the Internet.... :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29.2 Burgon
    21.1 Nandy
    13.6 Lewis
    13.1 McDonnell

The farting commie is awesome.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

We know from Rotherham and Cologne that authorities will conspire to hoodwink the public about "awkward" crimes. It is happening again. It's fairly despicable.

It is simply coincidence that these awkward crimes have occurred after IS have called for individuals to conduct lone wolf attacks using whatever means they have to hand. It may look like their call has been heeded but it hasn't.

I get why it is being down played, but it doesn't work very well when social media usually beats the mainstream media to air.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Not in full, so not as bad as it could have been (or not as good - the great thing about Corbyn is his supporters and opponents will be equally happy to see it, as for the former it shows their man dealing with the biased mainstream press)
    Indeed that is very much how the Canary reports it:

When you are in a hole dig furiously!

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/08/24/corbyn-delivers-brutal-message-richard-branson-traingate-smear-falls-apart-video/
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29.2 Burgon
    21.1 Nandy
    13.6 Lewis
    13.1 McDonnell

I'm going to be sick as a pig if Owen wins.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29.2 Burgon
    21.1 Nandy
    13.6 Lewis
    13.1 McDonnell

What about if David Miliband is the next Labour leader?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Long and detailed read

That had stuff I didn't know about & is really bad.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sun
    Tomorrow's front page: Mystery as five clothed men drown at packed UK beach. https://t.co/59r2zufdhP https://t.co/IXB8kIOY7y

Are we sure these aren't the five that were upgraded to give Corbyn and his gang seats?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29.2 Burgon
    21.1 Nandy
    13.6 Lewis
    13.1 McDonnell

Well so long as he doesn't get the gig before the end of 20167. That really would be expensive !
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MontyHall said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

We are being lied to.

My guess, FWIW - not much - is that this really might just be some random nutter - a sexually repressed Muslim Frenchman who was driven nuts by an apparently very beautiful British backpacker girl, and he lost it, and killed her, and in his moment of insanity he found some religious justification for his act. Kill the evil kaffir slut, who tempted him.

Maybe. So not terrorism. But definitely culturally and religiously tinged, and probably a "hate crime", if that phrase has any value.

Either way, there have been half a dozen of these Allahu Akhbar crimes in the last fortnight, and every single fucking time the authorities are superkeen to explain them away as random nutters, and coincidental patterns, and dope smoking schizos with a broken heart. Bollocks.

The new normal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3756764/This-isn-t-France-French-Muslim-women-face-arrest-covering-seaside-group-traditional-Islamic-dress-enjoy-paddle-Brighton-beach.html
    Jesus Christ.
    Indeed. They must be boiling!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

We are being lied to.

That's a lot of important context you just gave, why would the BBC miss all that out? OK so they are becoming too common but their audience has a special interest in this one since it was a British backpacker. Also a Somali Brit boy died in Sweden yesterday, it wasn't reported in the detail that it deserved even if it was gang related.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Sun

Very strange. Then the PC description I think it seems unlikely it fits SeanT suggetion of pissed up party out of hand.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sun

That's a weird one. Riptide, suicide pact, intoxication or illegal immigrants trying to swim in from a boat?
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

We are being lied to.

The BBC TV news at 6 and at 10 both carefully avoided mentioning "Allahu Akhbar". And it's TV that counts.

Indeed this reinforces the sense there is some cover-up (albeit crap). Who took the editorial decision to excise references on TV to possibly terrorist chants, if BBC radio had already cited them?

It stinks.
    "An arabic phrase" does make the point of the motivation though.
    No, it doesn't. Besides it's not the full truth. The job of the BBC is to tell us the truth, as comprehensively and lucidly as possible. No one disputes this fucker said "Allahu Akhbar", and it is clearly very relevant.

So report it. That is their job. Not censorship. But that is what we get. Censored truth.
    Was the man accused of murdering Jo Cox said to have shouted 'a phrase'?
  • Options
    Strangely bbc miss the bit about the drowned individuals were fully clothed, but are certain it wasn't jellyfish related.
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157
    Trump gains 3 points in one week in Economist/YouGov poll.

Previous week: Clinton 47 Trump 41
    Now: Clinton 47 Trump 44

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Long and detailed read

Leaving aside the obvious joke that the reason you shouldn't vote for Jeremy Corbyn doesn't need to be a long article, just put up his name, it's useful to get a pretty comprehensive list of most of the key criticisms. However...

It starts on what I find to be a slightly flawed and overly optimistic premise, common in politics, that too many of his supporters don't know these things('What I discovered was that [Thoughtful, moderately Left-Wing Corbyn supporters] knew almost no facts about him or his fellow travellers) and, implicitly, can therefore be woken up if only they realise.

The problems being:

a) All those criticisms have been widely circulated, some well before he became leader. If those 'thoughtful moderate' types really are not aware of them by now, with non-Corbynites and Tories blaring them out constantly for over a year, then they have avoided those point by choice, steering away from them, since as Corbyn supporters they are explicitly more politically inclined than most people, and the target for that information, and yet still missed it.
    b) Even if they become aware of those facts, there's no guarantee it would bother them. Yes, some would, we've seen the previously loyal turn coup plotter over some of them, but witness how many, upon discovering he has done something from that list, then defend it vociferously or use distraction tactics. It's tribalism at work, and no end of people defend near every one of those negative points.

It'd be nice to think if only people are told fact x they will realise they are on the wrong path, they'll realise socialism/Thatcherism/whateverism is the one true way if only they understood, but I think it would take a lot more practical impact before it happened.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

29.2 Burgon
    21.1 Nandy
    13.6 Lewis
    13.1 McDonnell

How could a Labour party that is choosing between Owen Smith and Corbyn realistically find themselves choosing David Milliband as a leader some months down the road? Nick Clegg is more plausible - at least he's in the UK.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sun

Very strange. Then the PC description I think it seems unlikely it fits SeanT suggetion of pissed up party out of hand.
    I have to say my hunch - marrying it with those hideous images of burka'd Brighton bathers in the Mail - is that this might be a cultural thing.

Black people are often poor swimmers. Are Muslim men better, given the prohibitions on undress?
    Are Muslim men forced to cover up too?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sun

And it certainly doesn't match my thoughts of stinging jellyfish. The fact that the bodies were fully clothed does tend to point, perhaps, to bodies that were being washed up, coming in from the sea but that doesn't fit that professionals spent so long on CPR (dead is dead and one doesn't waste time on obvious stiffs). I note that a search is going on (at least according to the Sun) for a sixth corpse which is firmy indicative of the authorities knowing more than they are at this stage telling.
  • Options
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/24/low-skilled-migrants-will-have-to-apply-for-work-permits-under-p/amp/?client=ms-android-oneplus

Go for it May. Call an early election and destroy Labour for a generation. Some kippers will never be happy, screw them the vast majority of the country will be happy and her only opposition will be the bishops. Lol.

Early election, now!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sun

I have to say my hunch - marrying it with those hideous images of burka'd Brighton bathers in the Mail - is that this might be a cultural thing.

Black people are often poor swimmers. Are Muslim men better, given the prohibitions on undress?
    Modesty is required of all, and I know that swimming is seriously *under-emphasised* in the Muslim world.

It's deeply depressing that we have to spend so long discussing ridiculous Muslim values from the 14th century. Let them all go home. They want to be near Mecca. We should generously enable them.
    I didn't know that, thanks!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sun

Modesty is required of all, and I know that swimming is seriously *under-emphasised* in the Muslim world.

It's deeply depressing that we have to spend so long discussing ridiculous Muslim values from the 14th century. Let them all go home. They want to be near Mecca. We should generously enable them.
    Muslim men have to cover from the naval to the knee.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2016
    nunu said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/24/low-skilled-migrants-will-have-to-apply-for-work-permits-under-p/amp/?client=ms-android-oneplus

Go for it May. Call an early election and destroy Labour for a generation. Some kippers will never be happy, screw them the vast majority of the country will be happy and her only opposition will be the bishops. Lol.

Early election, now!

Having lived in 4 countries under work permits for 10+ yrs, work permits are easily implemented and will fund themselves and in some countries provide a major revenue source for the Govt.
    Start at £10,000 pa for everyone and then see how many foreign workers are preferred to UK workers. 1million at 10k pa = £10bn pa.
This discussion has been closed.