Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on a united Ireland referendum happening by the end

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Mr. Slackbladder, bloody plebeians.

Sulla warned us about you lot!

Mr. Max, if I were a PC gamer, I imagine I'd give that sort of thing a crack.

Then be glad you are not a PC Gamer, Mr Dancer. I can't speak for the others but Europa Universalis IV is a time sink of the magnitude of a medium sized black hole.

Crusader Kings II I bought thinking I would enjoy it but never got into it.

Thankfully I have been clean for over a year now. Flight sim only, for me.
    Get Stellaris. Being space Hitler is a lot of fun.
    Can I be real Hitler instead?
    Well as long as you ramp up militarism and xenophobia two notches anything is possible. You also get bonus alien slaves, so you can be space Hitler plus slavery.
    Hmmm... I fly to Oz Saturday morning... 24 hours on a plane = good video gaming time...
    I'm off to Santiago Chile in about ten days (after a family jolly in Portugal)

I just checked the route. The direct flight from Paris CDG is 15 hours along, which must make it a contender for our *longest non-stop flight experienced by a pb-er* competition.

Edit: turns out it's the longest non-stop flight originating in Europe

https://www.kayak.co.uk/news/air-worlds-longest-direct-flights-master/

Than Holy Fuck I am in Biz.
    I did JFK to Tokyo, that felt like it would never end. I think that was 14h or so.
    Chicago-Hong Kong on United; 15 hours 50 minutes

PS Cattle. Sometimes working for a non-profit sucks.
    I think if asked to do a flight of that duration in cattle class I'd probably refuse now. Not cause of any ridiculous self-regard, just that I can't think of many destinations that are worth the grief. I've been to most places already.

I'm looking forward to Bolivia on this trip, tho. A new country. La Paz. I hear it's horrible, I like horrible places. They're interesting.

I suffer from a condition which makes me very prone to DVT, which I've had twice. A journey like that would risk killing me. I wouldn't do it. Even a cattle class flight to Cyprus a few years ago caused problems.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Well done, Miss Cyclefree :)

That said, psychopaths have, as well as murdering a lot of people, contributed a lot to human society. They're fantastic leaders in the military, politics and business. Provided they're on your side...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Then be glad you are not a PC Gamer, Mr Dancer. I can't speak for the others but Europa Universalis IV is a time sink of the magnitude of a medium sized black hole.

Well as long as you ramp up militarism and xenophobia two notches anything is possible. You also get bonus alien slaves, so you can be space Hitler plus slavery.
    Hmmm... I fly to Oz Saturday morning... 24 hours on a plane = good video gaming time...

I just checked the route. The direct flight from Paris CDG is 15 hours along, which must make it a contender for our *longest non-stop flight experienced by a pb-er* competition.

I did JFK to Tokyo, that felt like it would never end. I think that was 14h or so.
    Why? Why would any of you long distance masters want to do such things to yourselves, let alone dope yourself up in order to cope?

In my youth I could just about cope with London to Delhi (en route to Hong Kong), but that is about it. In later years the monthly (or so) business/first class flight to the states had about as much appeal as the 07:00 commuter train to Victoria. Ditto going to and from Muscat.

Why you fellows feel the need to dope yourself to the eyeballs and then take a 14/15 hour flight is beyond me.
    It's the only excuse SeanT has to take serious drugs now he's off the heroin.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Scott_P said:

Is he not worried about reputational damage?

@TelePolitics: Nigel Farage to share a platform with Donald Trump https://t.co/LqSiG6MCxg

Trump or Farage?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Get ready to pay £10 for a coffee in Australia.
    This is my third time in the last year. Fortunately, this is a longer trip than last time, and I'm spending a solid two and a half days there.
  • Options

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Kayak is wrong. Garuda now fly LHR to CGK non stop - 11734km - longest flight originating in both the UK and Europe.

Isn't that LGW to CGK with a stop in Amsterdam?
  • Options
    Mr. JS, they might morph together into Farump: the most atrocious moustache coupled with the most terrible hair.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Re the Sean T challenge, I knew I had done one close to 17 hours - San Fran to Singapore, also United, also cattle class: 16 hours 20 mins. That is my longest non-stop to date and long may it remain so.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited August 2016

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Kayak is wrong. Garuda now fly LHR to CGK non stop - 11734km - longest flight originating in both the UK and Europe.

Used to be, but they've dropped LGW and now fly direct, non-stop from LHR.

I've done AMS>CGK - 11,346 km - but that's 'great circle' - which they don't fly (Ukraine etc) - I flew over Egypt & Saudi - so its actually further.....
  • Options
    scotslass said:

The right to hold a Border Poll is enshrined in the St Andrews Agreement (every seven years as it happens).

Got a link to 'seven years'?

The BBC reckons its up to the SoS 'when ever they want':

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-21147823
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    AndyJS said:

Trump or Farage?

Exactly
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Cyclefree said:

Well now, this train stuff has been most entertaining but is now becoming as tedious as being stuck in a tube train in a tunnel in weather like this.

So my youngest has got the A-level results he wanted and is off to Manchester Uni to study Economics and Politics. He is embarking on his student life by heading for the Reading Festival tomorrow.

He is most excited by it all. I am very proud of and pleased for him.

(I shall miss him like hell though.)

As all 3 are now officially adults, I can say that they are all alive, not obviously psychopaths and seem broadly normal and mostly pleasant. Phew: that's my 23 and a half year job done!

(And yes I know that they will all boomerang back, a mother's job is never done etc.... but I can briefly congratulate myself, I think, on not having lost or killed them.)

Congratulations to young Master Free and even more congratulations to you, ma'am. You have done your duty well. The responsibility and the worry never stops, of course (nor the drain on the purse - just had to by my lad a new printer pending his return to uni), but it does get easier. As does everyday life, being able to eat what you want when you want is terrific.

What are you planning to do with all the extra time you will now have? Gresham College?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited August 2016
    These Saving Labour figures bring Peter Medawar's quote to mind:

"[the] author can be excused of dishonesty only on the grounds that before deceiving others he has taken great pains to deceive himself"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phenomenon_of_Man
  • Options

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Why? Why would any of you long distance masters want to do such things to yourselves, let alone dope yourself up in order to cope?

In my youth I could just about cope with London to Delhi (en route to Hong Kong), but that is about it. In later years the monthly (or so) business/first class flight to the states had about as much appeal as the 07:00 commuter train to Victoria. Ditto going to and from Muscat.

Why you fellows feel the need to dope yourself to the eyeballs and then take a 14/15 hour flight is beyond me.
    Time. Either you spend 20 hours getting somewhere on a non-stop, or 36 hours with a break of a few hours on the ground somewhere wonderful like Dubai, Qatar or Abu Dhabi.

That said, my ankles now swell on those long trips and take weeks to recover, so my wife the doctor has me on aspirin for these flights.

It's where I watch movies, read books and listen to music. Unless I am in business-class, doing work is out of the question.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

(And yes I know that they will all boomerang back, a mother's job is never done etc.... but I can briefly congratulate myself, I think, on not having lost or killed them.)

Congrats Ms Cyclefree. 18 years [minimum!] still stretch ahead of Mr & Mrs Price!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

That sounds like death reheated tbh. At least I went business with Sony.
    I though Sony was a non-profit?
    It certainly was when I was there. Not as bad these days, Kaz is doing a decent, though slow, job. Didn't stop us flying business though, even if SCE was the biggest money loser at the time!
  • Options

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I've done AMS>CGK - 11,346 km - but that's 'great circle' - which they don't fly (Ukraine etc) - I flew over Egypt & Saudi - so its actually further.....
    Oh I see it now - but the return flight from Jakarta needs to stop at Singapore because of a "weak runway" at CGK.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Dubai to Sydney is about 14 hours. Not too bad in the A380-800 double-decker.
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157
    Another great blog post from Scott Adams on the Trump v Clinton contest:

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/149412367306/con-man-or-hitler

He argues that Trump has created a perfect trap for Clinton's accomplices, by softening his stance on immigration.

The Democrats can no longer persuasively argue that Trump is another Hitler. Their only remaining argument is that Trump is a con man, but being a con man isn't scary for voters; it's almost normal for voters to expect politicians to be con men.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

I've been to most places already.

Have you visited every single station on the London Oystercard map like I have? (That's including Underground, Overground, TfL Rail, National Rail, DLR and Croydon Tram)

• Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I think if asked to do a flight of that duration in cattle class I'd probably refuse now. Not cause of any ridiculous self-regard, just that I can't think of many destinations that are worth the grief. I've been to most places already.

I'm looking forward to Bolivia on this trip, tho. A new country. La Paz. I hear it's horrible, I like horrible places. They're interesting.

Sean, I envy you both of your jobs. Like you, I still love traveling to new places and, in many respects, the more horrible the better because then you know it is not the fake steel and glass of les nouveaux arrives. But my preference is still places of unspoilt natural beauty (which having seen some of your travels, I suspect also remains one of yours) or of high historical value.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,627
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Good point about Teresa May using the Scottish Problem to avoid Hard Brexit. Very possible.

An unfortunate post given Teresa May is a porn star.
    lol. Really?

Relatedly, and disturbingly, I saw a photo of Theresa May (the PM) as a young woman on t'Twitter, and she looked... kinda hot. Also quite domme, so not my cup of tea. But still.

Hmpft.
    Link?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I'm y Fuck I am in Biz.
    Why? Wows feel the need to dope yourself to the eyeballs and then take a 14/15 hour flight is beyond me.
    Time. Either you spend 20 hours getting somewhere on a non-stop, or 36 hours with a break of a few hours on the ground somewhere wonderful like Dubai, Qatar or Abu Dhabi.

That said, my ankles now swell on those long trips and take weeks to recover, so my wife the doctor has me on aspirin for these flights.

It's where I watch movies, read books and listen to music. Unless I am in business-class, doing work is out of the question.
    First Class with a proper podule is a revelation tho. You are barely aware you are flying and the staff bring you champagne throughout. And cooling towels.

Eva Air Royal Laurel Class from LHR to Bangkok is especially brilliant. You get the full on podule yet pay Biz rates.
    The cattle class travel is especially hard to take given that my first 30 years of working it was all business or better. Still, it's what we suffer to do what we love.
  • Options

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Oh I see it now - but the return flight from Jakarta needs to stop at Singapore because of a "weak runway" at CGK.
    Yep - if they had to abort take-off, fully laden, the runway is not adhesive enough for them to be able to stop......
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I'll be on that on Saturday...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited August 2016
    vik said:

Another great blog post from Scott Adams on the Trump v Clinton contest:

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/149412367306/con-man-or-hitler

He argues that Trump has created a perfect trap for Clinton's accomplices, by softening his stance on immigration.

The Democrats can no longer persuasively argue that Trump is another Hitler. Their only remaining argument is that Trump is a con man, but being a con man isn't scary for voters; it's almost normal for voters to expect politicians to be con men.

Not being Hitler is hardly a rallying cry to the US voters ....

Not being Pol Pot or Stalin might be a winner though ....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Best plane in the air. I find the 787 over-rated and not particularly comfortable.....if anything the 380 is too quiet.....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I suffer from a condition which makes me very prone to DVT, which I've had twice. A journey like that would risk killing me. I wouldn't do it. Even a cattle class flight to Cyprus a few years ago caused problems.

Hence the missus' missives to take aspirin for these flights. Fortunately, I have no such history, so this is just a basic precaution
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Cyclefree said:

Well now, this train stuff has been most entertaining but is now becoming as tedious as being stuck in a tube train in a tunnel in weather like this.

So my youngest has got the A-level results he wanted and is off to Manchester Uni to study Economics and Politics. He is embarking on his student life by heading for the Reading Festival tomorrow.

As all 3 are now officially adults, I can say that they are all alive, not obviously psychopaths and seem broadly normal and mostly pleasant. Phew: that's my 23 and a half year job done!

Bravo Ms Cyclefree. Mission accomplished, you have now released them all into the wild.

My youngest is 23. All signs are that she'll be gone in a couple of years. Empty nests are sad nests. I have to say I quail at the thought, though like you am happy that she seems to be well adjusted, kind and an all round good egg.

All the best to Cyclefree jr in his time at Manchester, it's a wonderful city.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I'm y Fuck I am in Biz.
    Why? Wows feel the need to dope yourself to the eyeballs and then take a 14/15 hour flight is beyond me.

First Class with a proper podule is a revelation tho. You are barely aware you are flying and the staff bring you champagne throughout. And cooling towels.

Eva Air Royal Laurel Class from LHR to Bangkok is especially brilliant. You get the full on podule yet pay Biz rates.
    Was upgraded to Roal Laurel a couple of trips ago. Excellent.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MTimT said:

The cattle class travel is especially hard to take given that my first 30 years of working it was all business or better. Still, it's what we suffer to do what we love.

What we enjoy when someone else is paying

I don't mind steerage - a G&T or three and I'm in a suitably philosophical frame of mind.....and I comfort myself with the thought of what I could do with the thousands I've saved by not paying business.

Of course its much less civilised than it used to be. SQ used to give you little 'presents' to take home as gifts for the people you'd forgotten to buy something for....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The wine selection in First Class on BA, Emirates and Qatar is staggering.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    So Virgin may have breached the Data Protection Act by publishing its CCTV....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    SeanT said:

I am always impressed when NPXMP says he can do long haul flights in economy, no problem. He just does some work and plays games?

I wish.

Hey, you say the nicest things, darling :). I think it depends a bit on the line - Norwegian seem pleasantly spacious, but the best flight I ever had was Aeromexico, presumably because people think they'll be rubbish - I had three seats to myself and actually had more immediate table space than I do working at home, and they seemed just as good a line as anyone else.

Finding an unpopular thing that you don't object to is a good trick (works for property too - e.g. if you don't mind noise, buy a house under a flight path). My granddad used to love flying on the 13th, preferably Friday, as planes were significantly eemptier in those supertitious days.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Congratulations to young Master Free and even more congratulations to you, ma'am. You have done your duty well. The responsibility and the worry never stops, of course (nor the drain on the purse - just had to by my lad a new printer pending his return to uni), but it does get easier. As does everyday life, being able to eat what you want when you want is terrific.

What are you planning to do with all the extra time you will now have? Gresham College?
    Well, I'm still working of course.

Gresham: certainly.

More PB articles. :)

I have acquired a small piece of completely uncultivated land in Cumbria near where the family lives on which I shall be creating a new garden with orangery/garden house. That will take time and thought.

More piano.

I would like to find a choir which will take people who can't sing (like me).

Some proper exploration of the ancient Roman world.

Fun in general.

And some things which I cannot possibly describe on a family website such as this one........

• Options
    edited August 2016
    National Tracker - YouGov/Economist

Clinton 47 .. Trump 44

https://today.yougov.com/news/2016/08/24/yougoveconomist-poll-august-19-23-2016/
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Burn the Tory Scum !!
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, going to plant your own vegetables?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Can I add my congrats to young Mr Cyclefee on getting to the next stage, and to you on a job well done.

Yes they do come back every so often; younger son got himself in a dreadful pickle once, courtesy of a young "lady", but eventually he found a new lady and all seems well.
    Mind, after another 20 years or so you start worrying about grandchildren are going to get on, reading dissertations and so on.
  • Options

I don't mind steerage - a G&T or three and I'm in a suitably philosophical frame of mind.....and I comfort myself with the thought of what I could do with the thousands I've saved by not paying business.

Of course its much less civilised than it used to be. SQ used to give you little 'presents' to take home as gifts for the people you'd forgotten to buy something for....

Frankly, if I were paying out of my own pocket, I would never do 15 or 16 hour non-stop flights, I'd break the trip up so that no flight segment was longer than, say 8 hours. And if I were doing it on my own money and had chosen to do such a long flight, I would seriously look at upgrading to business - there are plenty of sites that specialize in cheap business travel - and when compared with hotel and food costs on a couple of weeks of travel, the airfare differential no longer looks so egregious.

These sites are unavailable to me when traveling for business as funders require I follow legislation that stipulates the carriers I may use.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

The wine selection in First Class on BA, Emirates and Qatar is staggering.
    Waste of money for me. Unless turbulence doesn't exist in 1st.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Frankly, if I were paying out of my own pocket, I would never do 15 or 16 hour non-stop flights, I'd break the trip up so that no flight segment was longer than, say 8 hours. And if I were doing it on my own money and had chosen to do such a long flight, I would seriously look at upgrading to business - there are plenty of sites that specialize in cheap business travel - and when compared with hotel and food costs on a couple of weeks of travel, the airfare differential no longer looks so egregious.

These sites are unavailable to me when traveling for business as funders require I follow legislation that stipulates the carriers I may use.
    A few years ago, my wife and I went to Australia for a wedding around Christmas. There were quite a few of us travelling from the UK, and to man, they all booked BA or Virgin, and ended up paying around £1,500 return in economy.

My wife and I went Business Class on Asiana, and paid £1,400.
  • Options
    GERS:

It is simply not possible to operate under independence with a deficit at this scale on a consistent basis – full stop. This means that in pursuing the case for Scottish Independence, the Scottish Government need to set out the tough choices that it would make alongside a detailed and comprehensive plan for how it would manage the public finances under independence.

https://fraserofallander.org/2016/08/24/fai-commentary-on-gers-2015-16/
  • Options
    MTimT said:

When travelling cattle or even one level up, on a long trip I always think airport lounges are a good bet. Quiet, free food and drink supplied and none of the rush "outside".
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Ya'll be careful of those swollen ankles. That is what happened to me, after a while they didn't go away except after a very long lie down. I went to the quack, a blood-test, then an ultrasound scan and I was diagnosed with a DVT in the right leg. I was off work, never mind travelling, for months. Those injections in the stomach aren't nice and nor is having to go the hospital and queue up for a blood test every week. That is when I went semi-retired (it was that or a divorce).

You be careful, Mr. T, also according to my quacks the Aspirin is not quite the wonder drug that newspaper reports might have us believe.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

And? I doubt it will change the public's view of the incident.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

IanB2 said:

Indeed - There’s a reason there has been no #VirginCCTVgate. :lol:
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Can I add my congrats to young Mr Cyclefee on getting to the next stage, and to you on a job well done.

Yes they do come back every so often; younger son got himself in a dreadful pickle once, courtesy of a young "lady", but eventually he found a new lady and all seems well.
    Mind, after another 20 years or so you start worrying about grandchildren are going to get on, reading dissertations and so on.
    I quite like them coming back provided you both accept that the relationship now has to be on a different footing e.g. no expectation of cooked meals etc. And I am very pleased that they want to come back, not least because I get the chance to meet up with their friends/boyfriends etc and still keep a discreet eye on them. You start creating new family traditions. My daughter and her boyfriend (a newly commissioned Second Lieutenant) have taken to turning up on a Sunday and we collectively have a family + whoever's around roast dinner. I have been given the moniker Mama Cyclefree (obviously my actual surname) by said officer, which makes me sound like I should be in charge of a New Orleans band or, possibly, some outrageous Soho bar. All great fun, though.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Carlotta Vance

You asked for a reference

A border poll every seven years

Schedule 1 paragraphs 2 and 3 of the Belfast Agreement gives the Secretary
    of State the power to call a referendum if it appears likely to him that a
    majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should
    leave the United Kingdom. This referendum can be held again 7 years later.

Note the provision is to ascertain support for a United Ireland not as a Unionist tactic.

Given that this has been agreed by HMG it renders ridiculous unionist calls in Scotland for the majority elected SNP MPs and massively supported SNP Government to give up the referendum proposal.

Of course that total lightweight Ruth Davidson may never have stumbled across the Belfast Agreement.
  • Options

Miss Cyclefree, going to plant your own vegetables?

Possibly. One of the things to be determined. I would like to have a French style potager. I am still on the waiting list for an allotment in Camden. I will need to indulge in Kind Hearts and Coronets mass-killing of those ahead of me in the queue if I'm to have any chance of getting the allotment while I can still see/walk/bend over.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715

IanB2 said:

ISTM that use of footage of an individual to refute an untrue defamatory claim intended to deceive the media should be OK. If it is not, we have a problem.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

A few years ago, my wife and I went to Australia for a wedding around Christmas. There were quite a few of us travelling from the UK, and to man, they all booked BA or Virgin, and ended up paying around £1,500 return in economy.

As it happens I am going Business Class with Etihad to Sydney next week. I paid £1275 plus £100 for a repositioning flight to the continent.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, I'm still working of course.

Gresham: certainly.

More PB articles. :)

I have acquired a small piece of completely uncultivated land in Cumbria near where the family lives on which I shall be creating a new garden with orangery/garden house. That will take time and thought.

More piano.

I would like to find a choir which will take people who can't sing (like me).

Some proper exploration of the ancient Roman world.

Fun in general.

And some things which I cannot possibly describe on a family website such as this one........

Hee, hee. Good luck Mrs free and welcome, almost, to the third age -you just got to get rid of that work thing..
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Carlotta Vance

Note the provision is to ascertain support for a United Ireland not as a Unionist tactic.

Given that this has been agreed by HMG it renders ridiculous unionist calls in Scotland for the majority elected SNP MPs and massively supported SNP Government to give up the referendum proposal.

Of course that total lightweight Ruth Davidson may never have stumbled across the Belfast Agreement.

Thank you.

But what's that got to do with the Edinburgh agreement which stipulated only one referendum and makes no reference to subsequent ones. Indeed the Scottish government's White Paper said it was a 'once in a generation' event - something Salmond & Sturgeon repeatedly said too.....
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    scotslass said:

Carlotta Vance

@scotslass ref your 3.52pm post "Nothing to do with the PM".

Well, if the decision is in the gift of with the SoS for NI, then it does seem to me that the Prime Minister is involved.
  • Options
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

As it happens I am going Business Class with Etihad to Sydney next week. I paid £1275 plus £100 for a repositioning flight to the continent.
    Etihad is excellent. I marginally prefer Qatar, but you've snagged a business class ticket for less than a BA economy fare.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    trump going full steam ahead to win new york

https://t.co/PJbr8zFKwM
  • Options

scotslass said:

Carlotta Vance

Thank you.

But what's that got to do with the Edinburgh agreement which stipulated only one referendum and makes no reference to subsequent ones. Indeed the Scottish government's White Paper said it was a 'once in a generation' event - something Salmond & Sturgeon repeatedly said too.....
    Given the Scottish diet, seven years is probably about right for a generation.
  • Options
    Off topic: Does anyone know which law enables Scotland to charge English students but offer free uni to locals?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Oh well, at least there is respite in sight for Corbyn as he's soon gonna be bumped off the headlines.
  • Options

GERS:

It is simply not possible to operate under independence with a deficit at this scale on a consistent basis – full stop. This means that in pursuing the case for Scottish Independence, the Scottish Government need to set out the tough choices that it would make alongside a detailed and comprehensive plan for how it would manage the public finances under independence.

https://fraserofallander.org/2016/08/24/fai-commentary-on-gers-2015-16/

My first thought on reading that: Rangers have become surprisingly eloquent on economic matters.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta Vance

Thank you.

There has been a material change in circumstances but no one to know what it is.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

I'm a Hearts of Iron Man myself, if only they could make a good WW1 module for it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

That's a seriously good price. People pay more for cattle class, so a good way to do it.

Just realised that with that new San Fran - Singapore flight it's now possible to do a round-the-world trip on only three flights!
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Off topic: Does anyone know which law enables Scotland to charge English students but offer free uni to locals?

Education is a devolved area, so it's up to the Scottish Parliament to legislate - as they did.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

I'll be on that on Saturday...
    Wave as you go past :)
  • Options
    The heaviest cross to bear, St Andrew's;

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/aug/24/scottish-finances-worsen-fall-oil-revenues-15bn-deficit

Don't expect any thanks, little Englanders.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I will need to indulge in Kind Hearts and Coronets mass-killing of those ahead of me in the queue ....

Excuse me .... knocking off the nobility is considered a tad bad form hereabouts ....

Gulp .... not related are we ?!? ....
  • Options

I'm a Hearts of Iron Man myself, if only they could make a good WW1 module for it.
    What Ho, Mr Brooke! Sorted out the date/location for the PubMeet with Mssrs. Topping and Observer yet? You may have missed it but Mr. Topping the other evening was suggesting that without the sense of smell it was impossible to tell the difference between a whisky and a brandy. I am in training for the event.

My boy likes the new Hearts of Iron and seems to play it a lot, when I next bump into him I will try to remember to ask him about a WW1 mod.

However, I repeat I am no longer into strategy games. I have been clean of the pernicious attractions (time sinks all) for over a year. Give me the clean healthy life of a Cliffs of Dover pilot, on multiplayer with with the TF mods and an organised squadron, anyday.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

scotslass said:

Carlotta Vance

Thank you.

There has been a material change in circumstances but no one to know what it is.
    It was when Cameron changed from one lump to two in his morning tea.
  • Options

What Ho, Mr Brooke! Sorted out the date/location for the PubMeet with Mssrs. Topping and Observer yet? You may have missed it but Mr. Topping the other evening was suggesting that without the sense of smell it was impossible to tell the difference between a whisky and a brandy. I am in training for the event.

My boy likes the new Hearts of Iron and seems to play it a lot, when I next bump into him I will try to remember to ask him about a WW1 mod.

However, I repeat I am no longer into strategy games. I have been clean of the pernicious attractions (time sinks all) for over a year. Give me the clean healthy life of a Cliffs of Dover pilot, on multiplayer with with the TF mods and an organised squadron, anyday.
    Just going to chip in that I'm an enormous fan of EU IV. Slowly working my way through all those bloody achievements.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Just going to chip in that I'm an enormous fan of EU IV. Slowly working my way through all those bloody achievements.
    Tried for The Three Mountains several times. Gave up. Now scum my way through games with judicious use of the console.
  • Options
    John_M said:

RobD said:

Tried for The Three Mountains several times. Gave up. Now scum my way through games with judicious use of the console.
    I maintain its not possible without exploits! In any case, I'll be happy getting all the non-insane ones done!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Pakistan must be ruing getting back on after the rain break. They are looking seriously uncompetitive now whilst the duckworth lewis at the break when they were 4 down was quite challenging.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Latest poll in Florida : Clinton 41 ; Trump 43 http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/FAU_Florida_August.pdf

Hillary's firewall weakening/
  • Options
    Well, here's a thing: I have been invited to a drinks event at this year's Labour party conference.

Shall I go? Will there even be a conference? I could be - with due credit to @Bunnco - your Lady on the Spot.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well, here's a thing: I have been invited to a drinks event at this year's Labour party conference.

Shall I go? Will there even be a conference? I could be - with due credit to @Bunnco - your Lady on the Spot.

You are aware it is in Liverpool? ;)
  • Options
    619 said:

trump going full steam ahead to win new york

https://t.co/PJbr8zFKwM

Herculean IMHO. But it is probably symbolic - make Clinton decide whether to commit resources - juist in case.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    weejonnie said:

Latest poll in Florida : Clinton 41 ; Trump 43 http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/FAU_Florida_August.pdf

She's at +14 and +18 in FL in two other polls though!

Ah, the +18 is from March but was only recently added to Nate Silver's database.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

MTimT said:

Ya'll be careful of those swollen ankles. That is what happened to me, after a while they didn't go away except after a very long lie down. I went to the quack, a blood-test, then an ultrasound scan and I was diagnosed with a DVT in the right leg. I was off work, never mind travelling, for months. Those injections in the stomach aren't nice and nor is having to go the hospital and queue up for a blood test every week. That is when I went semi-retired (it was that or a divorce).

You be careful, Mr. T, also according to my quacks the Aspirin is not quite the wonder drug that newspaper reports might have us believe.
    Asprin is not great for DVT prophylaxis.

Compression stockings (excluding people with peripheral vascular disease), remaining hydrated and foot exercises with regular strolls about the plane are better. High risk patients may benefit from LMW Heparin.

http://cks.nice.org.uk/dvt-prevention-for-travellers#!scenario
  • Options
    RobD said:

weejonnie said:

Ah, the +18 is from March but was only recently added to Nate Silver's database.
    Look at dates. A lot has happened in the last week.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It will be a great one. Take plenty of popcorn as it may well sell out quickly!
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

RobD said:

weejonnie said:

Look at dates. A lot has happened in the last week.
    Yes, but don't events usually take a while to trickle in?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Somehow, the new wildly free ‘you’ doesn’t quite tally with a soggy wet weekend in Liverpool.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Only go if you have a Virgin Trains seat reservation!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Cyclefree said:

Make sure you get your discounted rail fare from Virgin Trains. They are incredibly popular there I understand.

Congrats on your son but as you have probably discovered children going away to Uni does not materially reduce the time committed and can even increase the budget.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Somehow, the new wildly free ‘you’ doesn’t quite tally with a soggy wet weekend in Liverpool.
    Liverpool conference centre is great, and the Waterfront full of bars at night. I have been to a few there and always have a good time. The pubs often have live music too.
  • Options
    RobD said:

weejonnie said:

Jeb like collapse for Hillary in Florida. She's going down hard.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

weejonnie said:

Had drinks with a friend in Soho last night; he lives in New Orleans and his American fiancee was in tow.

She was - literally - close to tears at the idea - just the idea - of Trump winning. Quite remarkable.
    That the trouble with the left (especially the young) - cannot cope with adversity.

Edit - basically they are a load of spoilt brats. Never been in competition for anything, never had to face disappointment. Grown up in cotton wool where their every thought is fed back to them as being brilliant (for fear of upsetting them).
  • Options

RobD said:

weejonnie said:

It's just one poll, folks!
  • Options

RobD said:

weejonnie said:

Plenty of money to be made if you really believe that.

Hillary will win comfortably.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

SeanT said:

weejonnie said:

Had drinks with a friend in Soho last night; he lives in New Orleans and his American fiancee was in tow.

She was - literally - close to tears at the idea - just the idea - of Trump winning. Quite remarkable.
    That the trouble with the left (especially the young) - cannot cope with adversity.
    It's pathetic.
  • Options
    Turkish tanks roll into Syria:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37171995
  • Options
    SeanT said:

weejonnie said:

Female intuition. She knows.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This Florida poll has Trump taking 20% AA vote and 40% of the hispanic vote.

Chortle ... :smile:
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Liverpool conference centre is great, and the Waterfront full of bars at night. I have been to a few there and always have a good time. The pubs often have live music too.
    In that case, let me rephrase it. – Is Liverpool ready for Miss Cyclefree ? :lol:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This splendidly accurate review of THE FIRE CHILD, by S K Tremayne, refers to the "beauty of the author".

At last a fair appraisal of my work

https://medium.com/@itsmemohan/the-fire-child-spooky-ride-97fdd19f8fb8#.2ow2hdql0

Did you slap your mug on the cover? :D
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This splendidly accurate review of THE FIRE CHILD, by S K Tremayne, refers to the "beauty of the author".

At last a fair appraisal of my work

https://medium.com/@itsmemohan/the-fire-child-spooky-ride-97fdd19f8fb8#.2ow2hdql0

Was the elderly reviewer last seen sheep shearing in the fells ....
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Three smiley faces in as many posts, tyson would be proud :D
This discussion has been closed.