Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s most senior elected politician, Sadiq Khan, comes

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel to host a $33,500 a head Hollywood luncheon for Hillary after Leonardo Di Caprio had to drop out due to filming commitments
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/justin-timberlake-host-clinton-fundraiser-leo-dicaprio-article-1.2759149

How does that work with the donation limitations?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,989
    Happy enough to pitch for the Corbyn it vote when he needed the votes against Tessa wasn't he though....

In it for himself methinks.
  • Options
    Extra time in the footy

Brazil 1 - 1 Germany after 90.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419
    viewcode said:

IanB2 said:

Just been reading about the origin of the word Albion.

Apparently the word was the original ancient Greek word for Britain and the Gaelic name for Scotland Alba is derived from it.

By 2000 years ago when we all spoke Welsh Scotland was known as Alban and the Romans Latinised it as Albania.

How glorious. Now that Scotland is run by Enver Shtugeonxha and Alex "King Zog" Salmond I think the place should be called Albania again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albania_(placename)?wprov=sfla1

Out of interest latest research (partly involving DNA analysis) suggests the long-believed view that Celtic (aka Welsh) was spoken across Britain before the angles and Saxons arrived is wrong, and that earlier waves of Germanic settlers preceded the As&Ss. This would explain the mystery of why there are almost no Celtic place names in England, aside from the odd river.
    If the research you are speaking of was that which was (badly) covered in the papers a few months back, then I think the reporters misrepresented it.

However, my favorite (tho not widely accepted) placename origins are "Asu" (where the sun rises) and "Ereb" (where the sun sets). Which in later years became "Asia" and "Europe"... :)
    I have the book, which is hard going but a rewarding read. You are right that a few newspapers tried to simplify the story down to the differences between England and Scotland/Wales dating back much further than originally thought.

Nevertheless the absence of Celtic place names, Celtic inscriptions (which are all over Ireland) and the absence of any evidence of mass graves or widespread settlement burning in England have always been troublesome aspects to the 'traditional' view (largely based on the accounts of a few medieval monks) that the celts had been everywhere in Britian doing their Druid stuff and minding their own business after the Romans went home, until the Saxons pitched up and killed them or drove them away to Wales and Cornwall. I remember writing essays on this 'mystery' years ago when I studied Anglo saxon history. Nor did it ever seem that credible that Brittany was populated by exiles from Cornwall.

The DNA suggests that the populations of Brittany, Cornwall, Wales, Ireland and Scotland may have an Iberian origin whereas England was mostly settled from Germany and the Low Countries, with some Scandinavian influence in the North. And that this difference pre-dates the previous assumption of a Dark Ages exodus of celts.

• Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    Now things are winding down I thought I'd do a quick check on which nation had been stiffed by the IOC caving in on a Russia ban. I read that GB had led calls for a total ban because we stood to benefit the most.

Well, that's complete bollox, looking at the actual results. So far we've had four bronzes taken away (one in gym, two the Swimming, one in the Fencing). Pretty much the same as most other main nations, although, ironically, China would probably have just beaten us into 2nd place with a gold or two more than us with a total ban.

The one country that loses out big time.

Ukraine.

Well placed to win seven golds instead of two, up from 27th to 13th in the medal table.

As though destabilising and splitting up their country wasn't enough.........
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,954
    IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

IanB2 said:

Apparently the word was the original ancient Greek word for Britain and the Gaelic name for Scotland Alba is derived from it.

By 2000 years ago when we all spoke Welsh Scotland was known as Alban and the Romans Latinised it as Albania.

How glorious. Now that Scotland is run by Enver Shtugeonxha and Alex "King Zog" Salmond I think the place should be called Albania again.

Out of interest latest research (partly involving DNA analysis) suggests the long-believed view that Celtic (aka Welsh) was spoken across Britain before the angles and Saxons arrived is wrong, and that earlier waves of Germanic settlers preceded the As&Ss. This would explain the mystery of why there are almost no Celtic place names in England, aside from the odd river.
    If the research you are speaking of was that which was (badly) covered in the papers a few months back, then I think the reporters misrepresented it.

However, my favorite (tho not widely accepted) placename origins are "Asu" (where the sun rises) and "Ereb" (where the sun sets). Which in later years became "Asia" and "Europe"... :)
    I have the book, which is hard going but a rewarding read. You are right that a few newspapers tried to simplify the story down to the differences between England and Scotland/Wales dating back much further than originally thought.

Nevertheless the absence of Celtic place names, Celtic inscriptions (which are all over Ireland) and the absence of any evidence of mass graves or widespread settlement burning in England have always been troublesome aspects to the 'traditional' view (largely based on the accounts of a few medieval monks) that the celts had been everywhere in Britian doing their Druid stuff and minding their own business after the Romans went home, until the Saxons pitched up and killed them or drove them away to Wales and Cornwall. I remember writing essays on this 'mystery' years ago when I studied Anglo saxon history. Nor did it ever seem that credible that Brittany was populated by exiles from Cornwall.

The DNA suggests that the populations of Brittany, Cornwall, Wales, Ireland and Scotland may have an Iberian origin whereas England was mostly settled from Germany and the Low Countries, with some Scandinavian influence in the North. And that this difference pre-dates the previous assumption of a Dark Ages exodus of celts.

Good to know, thank you
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,138
    edited August 2016
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel to host a $33,500 a head Hollywood luncheon for Hillary after Leonardo Di Caprio had to drop out due to filming commitments
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/justin-timberlake-host-clinton-fundraiser-leo-dicaprio-article-1.2759149

How does that work with the donation limitations?
    Part of the money raised goes to the DNC and state races too I believe
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

IanB2 said:

Out of interest latest researchaside from the odd river.

Ireland has Celtic placenamrs because it was Celts who first recorded them and set them down on paper; ditto Wales and northern and western Scotland. In England it was generally Saxons who did it and who gave places - which may already have been settled - their names. It's also possible that Saxons and Celts lived side by side, but that the Celtic place village names died out as populations anglicised. A lot of the names of natural features in England - rivers, hills, streams etc - have Celtic roots.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,954
    Charles said:

Albion was Posedion's favourite son and he have him the fairest among all his islands to rule.

TM H.E.Marshall
    Like everything else that is English and a bit mystical, The Sage of Northampton has had a go. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Robin Hood's sword... :)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Evening all. So this is the kinder, gentler politics on the front page of the Observer.

Now, about some games..,
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/clinton-and-trump-are-losing-a-lot-of-young-voters/?ex_cid=2016-forecast

this is very important, the gap between Trump and clinton amongst young voters is much less compared to Obama and Romney- there are going to be a hell of a lot more wasted votes come November.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

IanB2 said:

Out of interest latest researchaside from the odd river.

medieval monks) that the celts had been everywhere in Britian doing their Druid stuff and minding their own business after the Romans went home, until the Saxons pitched up and killed them or drove them away to Wales and Cornwall. I remember writing essays on this 'mystery' years ago when I studied Anglo saxon history. Nor did it ever seem that credible that Brittany was populated by exiles from Cornwall.

Ireland has Celtic placenamrs because it was Celts who first recorded them and set them down on paper; ditto Wales and northern and western Scotland. In England it was generally Saxons who did it and who gave places - which may already have been settled - their names. It's also possible that Saxons and Celts lived side by side, but that the Celtic place village names died out as populations anglicised. A lot of the names of natural features in England - rivers, hills, streams etc - have Celtic roots.

Penzance, Penrith, Pendle (I think).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Happy enough to pitch for the Corbyn it vote when he needed the votes against Tessa wasn't he though....

what do u expect from new labour types. No belief in anything just about wining.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Labour's attempt to avoid disaster at the next GE by making an appeal through its house magazine is doomed to failure.
    Who actually reads The Observer these days anyway?

Mainly BBC employees.
  • Options
    It's gonna be penalties in the footy:

Brazil 1-1 Germany after 120 minutes.
  • Options
    Penalties in the GER v BRA match.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

what do u expect from new labour types. No belief in anything just about wining.
    Great Freudian typo, can't tell if that is whining or winning. Both work.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

Now things are winding down I thought I'd do a quick check on which nation had been stiffed by the IOC caving in on a Russia ban. I read that GB had led calls for a total ban because we stood to benefit the most.

Well, that's complete bollox, looking at the actual results. So far we've had four bronzes taken away (one in gym, two the Swimming, one in the Fencing). Pretty much the same as most other main nations, although, ironically, China would probably have just beaten us into 2nd place with a gold or two more than us with a total ban.

Ukraine.

Well placed to win seven golds instead of two, up from 27th to 13th in the medal table.

Kind of makes sense that as neighbouring nations with a similar climate and culture that they'd compete with each other in the same events.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    On topic, this will nark off some of Kahn's supporters when he could have stfu so it looks like a sign that he doesn't think Smith's campaign is a lost cause.
  • Options

On topic, this will nark off some of Kahn's supporters when he could have stfu so it looks like a sign that he doesn't think Smith's campaign is a lost cause.

Or its a sign Khan has already won his vote and doesn't need supporters for four more years.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sky paper review basically boiled down to "RIP Labour, your fucked for a generation at least"
  • Options
    Brazil win it with the last penalty. Neymar scored it, obviously.
  • Options
    Brazil win the footy!!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,783
    IanB2 said:

I learnt from an exhibition that I went to today on the Celts that Lyon (France), Leiden (Netherlands) and Lothian (Scotland) are all corruptions via different languages of the same Celtic placename, Lugudunon.

My tidbit for the Celtic etymology discussion.
  • Options
    Brazil win the footy gold on penalties 5-4
  • Options
    I see China got a gold in the diving in the end, just not the favourite.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Or its a sign Khan has already won his vote and doesn't need supporters for four more years.
    Sure, but the Corbynistas could get him in four years.
  • Options
    I see athletics stadium totally empty again...something else going on in Brazil this evening?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,783
    Thrak said:

Ukraine.

I suspect Russian althletes' training was destabilised by the uncertainty and that Russia would otherwise have done better in the tables. Leaving aside the question of whether the drugs are actually performance enhancing enough to make a difference to the result - which I have always been slightly sceptical of.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,140
    Brazil get to lay the ghost of 7-1. Huge for the national psyche.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

I learnt from an exhibition that I went to today on the Celts that Lyon (France), Leiden (Netherlands) and Lothian (Scotland) are all corruptions via different languages of the same Celtic placename, Lugudunon.

My tidbit for the Celtic etymology discussion.
    Think this is correct for Lyon, is generally believed correct for Lothian, but not so for Leiden - seems that one is after the Germanic word for "canal", but the association with "Lugdunum Batavorum" was mistaken.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2016
    FF43 said:

Thrak said:

Ukraine.

I suspect Russian althletes' training was destabilised by the uncertainty and that Russia would otherwise have done better in the tables. Leaving aside the question of whether the drugs are actually performance enhancing enough to make a difference to the result - which I have always been slightly sceptical of.
    You doubt if systemic consistent state sponsored style doping program has anything more than marginal gains...are you serious....Put somebody on EPO and the amount of progress they can make it extremely significant.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,454
    FF43 said:

Thrak said:

Ukraine.

Whether the performance enhancing drugs actually succeed in enhancing performance is irrelevant. The intent to cheat is wrong and Russia should have been drummed out of the Olympic Games for engaging in systematic cheating.
  • Options

Brazil get to lay the ghost of 7-1. Huge for the national psyche.

Its too late.

They've exposed themselves as a third world country and congratulating themselves on winning a football match isn't going to change that.
  • Options
    High Jump Final...

Team GB Lake has cleared 1.94m this season, with world leader Chaunte Lowe only managing 2.01m. Interestingly Katarina Johnson-Thompson jumped 1.98m in the heptathlon - the fourth best in the world!

Perhaps KJT is doing the wrong event? Because I can't see how she will ever throw the shot put or javelin very far.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Thrak said:

Ukraine.

More likely that the ability to switch positive tests for clean ones totally destabilised them.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Corbyn supporters, doncha just love 'em?
    https://twitter.com/poobiocks/status/767110503919484929

What could be possibly be suggesting?

In other news, suggestions Labour are going to have to expel 1000s for Antisemitism.
    Under Corbyn they wont.
    agreed
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

High Jump Final...

Team GB Lake has cleared 1.94m this season, with world leader Chaunte Lowe only managing 2.01m. Interestingly Katarina Johnson-Thompson jumped 1.98m in the heptathlon - the fourth best in the world!

Perhaps KJT is doing the wrong event? Because I can't see how she will ever throw the shot put or javelin very far.

Morgan is also a heptathlete, and KJT has competed in high jumps at other meets
  • Options

Corbyn supporters, doncha just love 'em?
    https://twitter.com/poobiocks/status/767110503919484929

LOL - its all a jewish conspiracy dont ya know.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

High Jump Final...

Morgan is also a heptathlete, and KJT has competed in high jumps at other meets
    Was surprised not to see KJT in the high jump event. Morgan Lake is only 19, should be in with a chance of a medal in Tokyo as the old guard like Blanka Vlasic move on...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Johnson calling bulls##t on the officials story on 4 x 400 DQ....
  • Options

Someone must have footage of that changeover. I can't believe that the finishing line didn't have any official cameras running, the OBS cover all angles, they don't turn them off.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Thrak said:

Someone must have footage of that changeover. I can't believe that the finishing line didn't have any official cameras running, the OBS cover all angles, they don't turn them off.
    But they didn't have cameras for in the track cycling either...it was on Team GB analyst who was filming who got it...otherwise Kenny and the German would have been out.

At this omnishambles games I take nothing for granted in what there should be or should have done.
  • Options
    9th gold medal for Usain Bolt. Legend.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131

FF43 said:

Thrak said:

Ukraine.

You doubt if systemic consistent state sponsored style doping program has anything more than marginal gains...are you serious....Put somebody on EPO and the amount of progress they can make it extremely significant.
    True, however it isn't a substitute for the right training. The major part of national success comes from the 'consistent state sponsored programme' with doping just providing an incremental boost on top of that.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Thrak said:

But they didn't have cameras for in the track cycling either...it was on Team GB analyst who was filming who got it.
    But that was a line only relevant to the keirin, this is the finishing line, the one that every single event uses. They have official footage from the OBS, why have they not released it?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

That's bonkers, what did they do wrong and why haven't we seen a video of it?. I swear there was a GB runner on screen for three minutes as I watched it!

Edit: is it that they're being asked to prove a negative, ie an official observer says that they were outside whatever, so they need to provide conclusive evidence to the contrary, in order to overturn the observer's statement?
  • Options
    A worse decision than the 4 x 400, is the open water swimmer guy. Somebody grabbed his leg to stop him winning, and he turned around to see what was happening, so they penalised him.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

High Jump Final...

She could plausibly compete as a long-jumper too.

Heptathletes face interesting choices - though they are all-rounders, they aren't so "specialised in generalism" as decathletes, and in their preferred disciplines the best of them are often quite competitive with elite athletes in that event (and would expect to become stronger competitors if they trained for that discipline alone). So it may be reasonable to bail out of the heptathlon, like Dafne Schippers did, if they spot better opportunities elsewhere.

Would be worth looking around at what the field is likely to be like in four years time both in heptathlon and the possible alternative event, and making a decision based on that.

(It's not dissimilar to the way that rowers can and do switch boat. One reason for the dominance of the British men's coxless four is that top rowers from other countries try to avoid competing against them, so prefer to row in other classes instead. I imagine plenty of younger heptathletes are looking at Nafi Thiam and wondering if that was a flukey one-off, or the emergence of a young talent that is going to dominate the sport for years to come.)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    1500m is awfully slow. This is like a cycling race where they all do 3 slow laps and one quick one at the end!
  • Options
    I think they need to employ the Keiran bike for the 1500m....
  • Options
    First US Athlete to win a race >400m in the Olympics since 1972.
  • Options
    Seems to me like the Kenyans would be better working as a team and stretching everybody to breaking point. They were saying they should have done it to Mo in 10km. Be interesting if a country tries to team play him this evening.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,626
    edited August 2016
    GB Bronze in the women's taekwondo.
  • Options
    Another bronze in the Kicky Jim jams
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    LOL! Bolt goes to find Mo Farah backstage to take a photo!
  • Options
    bronze !
  • Options
    in the kicking in PJ's
  • Options
    Am I correct in thinking they redesigned the javelin so it doesn't go as far....because Backley and co used to lob it over 90m regularly right?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    god damn Kicking in pj's is going to be a much bigger sport in the U.K now. I know it's already quite big but it will be bigger.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Liz
    Slowest 1500m final since 1932 yet amazing to watch. Tactics pay off for the US and great finish by Willis from NZ. #Rio2016
  • Options
    Me_Me_ Posts: 66
    We will never forget 7 x 1 here.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Now for the most controversial race of the Althetics. Women's 800m, Caster Semenya favourite. Briton Lynsey Sharp in the final.
  • Options
    nunu said:

god damn Kicking in pj's is going to be a much bigger sport in the U.K now. I know it's already quite big but it will be bigger.

bloody hell another medal chance in same sport!
  • Options
    oh shit it's against a Brazillian.

He's screwed DQ no doubt for kicking too hard.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Am I correct in thinking they redesigned the javelin so it doesn't go as far....because Backley and co used to lob it over 90m regularly right?

Yes. 1986. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javelin_throw
  • Options
    nunu said:

Well unlike these poshos sports you don't need any fancy equipment to get started...just turn up in your PJs and off you go.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I love the BBC PC way of suggesting they reckon the 800m WR was drug assisted...."from a different time".
  • Options
    Team GB
    No break. @Chotimetkd in his Men's +80KG #Taekwondo Bronze medal contest now. #Rio2016 #BringOnTheGreat https://t.co/15HkYPnJB7
  • Options

I love the BBC PC way of suggesting they reckon the 800m WR was drug assisted...."from a different time".

What would they say about the 100m WR? That will still be there a hundred years from now, thanks to drugs and a faulty wind meter!
  • Options
    GB ladies get the bronze medals for the 4x100m relay :)
  • Options
    Cho loses to the Brazilian in the TK.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

What would they say about the 100m WR? That will still be there a hundred years from now, thanks to drugs and a faulty wind meter!
    Are you suggesting that Flo-Jo might have possibly been doping? And was backed by a tornado....How dare you, how very dare you....
  • Options
    Warren Bennett
    I just tried a taekwondo move and now I have to stand on a chair to get my left slipper from the top of a kitchen cupboard. #Rio2016
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Are you suggesting that Flo-Jo might have possibly been doping? And was backed by a tornado....How dare you, how very dare you....
    Can't libel the dead. Especially not those who run nothing one year, world records the next and retire the year after that. Before dropping dead of a heart attack aged 38. No, no drugs at all there. Definitely not.
  • Options

Cho loses to the Brazilian in the TK.

Leading into the final round AGAIN....
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Can't libel the dead. Especially not those who run nothing one year, world records the next and retire the year after that. Before dropping dead of a heart attack aged 38. No, no drugs at all there. Definitely not.
    I am going to guess that her medicine cabinet made Ben Johnson's look empty. Even doped to the eye balls Jones didn't get close to that time of Flo-Jo.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,131
    edited August 2016

Sandpit said:

There are still some WRs on the books that predate Flo-Jo from Koch and Kratochvilova. This run is just astonishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD4OUTXvtRU
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Retiring a week after random out of competition testing was announced. Nothing suspicious at all (I remember watching that 100m; her, Johnson and Kratochvilova were the three that you watched and you just knew they were wrong).
  • Options
    Believe!

Be Leave!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I am going to guess that her medicine cabinet made Ben Johnson's look empty. Even doped to the eye balls Jones didn't get close to that time of Flo-Jo.
    Did she have the estimated 6m/s tail wind too? Someone wrote a paper on it.
    http://www.brunel.ac.uk/~spstnpl/Publications/IAAFReport(Linthorne).pdf

Here comes Mo.
  • Options
    Looks like they are going to work as a team against Mo.
  • Options
    The 5000m is like psychological warfare.
  • Options
    Arise, Sir Mo Farah. The double double.
  • Options
    GOLD! Great race. Epic run by Mo Farah.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Just WOOOWWWWWWWWWWW. They chucked the kitchen sink at him there and he just got stronger and stronger.
  • Options
    Spin on that, China.....
  • Options
    @BBCSport: Mo Farah!

The #TeamGB London 2012 total is equalled.

#Rio2016 medal 65

Joe Joyce is guaranteed another tomorrow! https://t.co/nx5sVQyVdR
  • Options
    Amazing, it's like he just hypnotised them into doing his bidding!
  • Options
    Gracenote
    Mo Farah is 2nd athlete to win #gold in men's 5000m & 10000m at consecutive #Olympics, after Lasse Viren (#FIN) in 1972-1976 #Rio2016 #GBR
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:

@BBCSport: Mo Farah!

The #TeamGB London 2012 total is equalled.

#Rio2016 medal 65

Joe Joyce is guaranteed another tomorrow! https://t.co/nx5sVQyVdR

And we might pick up a bronze in the 4x400m - our women could do well in that (assuming the judges don't cheat us again)
  • Options
    @GeneralBoles: Deng Xiaoping, Sun Tzu, Confucius, Chairman Mao, Xi Jinping, Xi Jinping, can you hear me? Your boys took a hell of a beating #Rio2016
  • Options
    Who would bet against him doing the treble double in Tokyo?

Fly, Mo!
  • Options
    Sam Freedman
    Brilliant PB from Andrew Butchart in that race to come 7th. Third fastest Brit ever after Farah and David Moorcroft. #Rio2016
  • Options
    @jesstaylor25: So @thiam_nafi and @JohnsonThompson jumped higher than the Olympic high jump champ! #impressive #heptathletes
  • Options
    HJ Gold decided at 1.97. Didn't KJT jump more than that in the Heptathlon?
  • Options

Who would bet against him doing the treble double in Tokyo?

Fly, Mo!

Be 37 then....that is asking a lot.
This discussion has been closed.